z

Young Writers Society

Unique ways to creat names.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:43 pm
nutmegan595 says...

In Mostly Human, my job is actually easier because few people have last names. For those last names I do, I try to make them mean something. Like the monarchs are "Los Reyes" which literally means "Kings" in Spanish. It works because Reyes is actually a Spanish last name.
For people's first names I try to make them accurate to where they grew up or their heritage. So Mostly Human originally took place in France which is where Charlotte's name came from. When I switched the setting, I liked Charlotte's name so much I just made it an unspoken fact that she grew up in France. Rachel's name was also originally Rachelle. Amaury means "Moorish" in Spanish--as much as any other name has meaning. Amaury is half-Spanish and half-Moorish so that name worked perfectly.

I use babynames.com too when I get stuck or have someone of a different heritage.

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:33 pm
EnchantedPanda says...

When I make up last names I usually find two street names (names of towns, city's, suburbs and islands usually work just as well for this.) Then I try and merge them together.

For instance:
Green (St.) + Wood (Rd.) = Wreed
King (Ave.) + Fisher (St.) = Kinsher

With this though I find it's important to think carefully about how you merge the words. Try usually try going for something interesting but not too far out of of the ordinary and always make sure it's easy for people to pronounce. :)

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:14 pm
ArahAkachi1 says...

Whenever I make up names, I take a single letter, lets say V, and the I just put random letters to make sense. Using this method, I've made up names. One of my villian's name is Valkaryot. (Val-Carry-Ot).

~Arah~
Writing your name can lead to writing sentences. And then the next thing you'll be doing is writing paragraphs, and then books. And then you'll be in as much trouble as I am!

Love is all we have, the only way that each can help the other.
— Euripides