Young Writers Society

Creative writing no longer exists

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:35 pm
View Likes
Matt Bellamy says...

I shall begin my entry by telling you all a little story. One day, I was stood in the library looking at the poetry books, when a stranger came beside me. He said "Pardon me, but I believe creative writing no longer exists because everything has already been written." I myself believe this statement to be incorrect, and that creative writing exists due to the different ways in which writers interpret and express ideas.
My proposal to you now, is to write something that you believe has never been written before. We don't need the whole thing, just a basic outline of a story or concept. Of course, due to the nature of this activity, the replies to the thread will hopefully be bizarre and over the top. I'm looking forward to what you come up with.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:22 pm
View Likes
Rei says...

Well, I don't know if this type of book doesn't exist. There really are too many to tell. The one I'm working on, of which the first three chapters have been posted here, is called A Different Kind of Goblin. Now, the subject matter alone is one that I've never seen tackled: social anxiety disorder. Books like it generally are about the shy girl coming out of her shell or something, providing easy answers that don't really exist, or are about bullying. Mine has elements of bullying, and the gradual change that happens over time. But the change is not as dramatic as in similar books.

That in itself is something I think makes it different. However, an element of the book that hasn't been seen here involves the way a lot of kids who have a rough time in high school deal with it: fantasy. I have a parallel story involving an young elf shortly after the orc war ended. I deliberately make it sound something like Lord of the Rings, though my elves are not like Tolkien's elves. I start out the chapters as though it is the human girl just escaping, but as the narrative progresses, it becomes completely the elf character. It becomes as ambiguous as possible so you never really know exactly how the elf and the human are connected. Did Rachel (the human) just make up Reichi (the elf) or are they both real? Does one invade the body of the other? Is Rachel really Reichi and can she really go to this other place? I honestly don't know. That's up to the reader to decide.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

148 Reviews

Reviews: 148
Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:04 pm
View Likes
ohhewwo says...

Okay ... totally off the top of my head.

Alright, there are two races. One is a race of people with dog heads, and the other is a race of people with cat heads. But the dog-headed people are "cat people," and the cat-headed people are "dog people." So, each individual hates every other person in their race, and likes the other race.

Possible endings/storylines:

They all kill eachother off, until there are only two left, one of each race, and they fall in love, or what-ever, and then there's peace, because everyone has cat-dog-hybrid heads.

A hero comes along, maybe, um, a wise rat-headed person from a distant land, and he brings everyone to their senses.

So, that's 100 percent random. Yay!
"The only difference between me and a mad man is that I am not mad."
-Salvador Dali, surrealist

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:47 pm
View Likes
Elizabeth says...

That is a very strange encounter, did you even know the person?
Well, I'm writing a story, and I'm using many bits and pieces of other things I know about in it. I guess that somehow I can't think of anything else that is original for me. Everything has been used that I can think of....
The only way we can make things more original is to burn the first traces of it at all (O_O) NO NO NO!!!

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:51 pm
View Likes
little x soldier says...

About creative writing no longer exist.. I don't know but most stories have the same meaning but written very differently. If there's no creative writing means there's no creative thinking and creative places.. Which also means most things are almost the same..
Sometimes we create things that already existed long time ago we didn't even know about.. But sometimes there are things we know that has existed but no longer exist anymore, we recreate them again. Just like rewriting.. 'There's no such thing as a good writing, only good rewriting -Louis P Brandeis

Anyways..I'll start my so call little summery of ‘Fate’s Little Voices’.
This story is about a girl around the age of 15 and is very confused about her future. She hates to talk about it. But there are always these little voices, whispering to her what to do, telling her what to do and make her struggle and fall in troubles. She herself is an ‘adorable orphan girl’ and a dancer. She had gone through a lot of different families, where she had gotten thousands of names. But know that she’s 15, the orphan place are giving her a bit of freedom. Not long after the last family brought her back to the orphan place she secretly searches for her real parents. After a traumatic happening at the orphan place she ended up in another place where she meets three ppl telling her, all her past. She start on an adventure of figuring her past while she didn’t notice she was forming her future. What will she get from a trainer which tells her things she doesn’t like about but it’s the only best trainer and friendliest and a secret brother. She insanely joins a clubs she knows nothing about and turn into a criminal. And at last there are these little voices she hates and beg for help…

What you think... a rewrite? I really like this topic you started, Matt..
~xS;o:L;d:I;e:Rx~

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:41 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Of course there are! There was once this really soppy teen drama on TYWC, and I corrupted it. Now it has spawned into something completely random and new. Here are the summaries for the books.

http://the-council.neoburn.net/

http://the-council.neoburn.net/story/ttac1/contents.php

Snarkindron, a dragon switchling, meaning he could turn into other various creatures, turns into a human so he can find out what the heck girls are like. Unfortunately it backfires on him, and he finds himself stuck in a horrible situation. THE COUNCIL, a corrupt organization, is looking for him. If that doesn't make it bad enough, others have found out that he is a dragon and they are determined to kill him. His fate rests in the hands of a handful of teenagers, Charlie, Jess, Arson, and Aburn.

At first they hide him and take care of him, but when Charlie, a fighter at heart, realizes where THE COUNCIL's headquarters are, she can't resist a fight. She manages to gather all the teens and a renegade dwarf to go to Hawaii, THE COUNCIL's meeting place.

Then the real chaos happens. Mallin, an arch enemy of Snarkindron and an attractive gryphon, seeks to destroy him. Unfortunately Snarkindron has taken Josh Hartnett's form and Mallin gets confused over who is who. So she accidentally brings Josh Hartnett in this mess.

Big mistake.

Finally, in the climax, three Josh Hartnetts run around, a wolf guy has a nice steak, and Mallin kills Snarkindron. But, like all good soap operas, Snarkindron is brought back to life by a necromancer and becomes the captain of THE COUNCIL after he is given orders to reform it from its corrupt state.

Well, Jess, Charlie, Arson, and Aburn have returned to their homes, were they are instantly grounded because they went to Hawaii without any permission whatsoever. There, they wait for any information of THE COUNCIL, and the mythical world they have learned to love.

But there is nothing. Snarkindron is busy with his role in THE COUNCIL, too busy to send them any information. Larethium the Eldest is on the loose, and he hears a rumor that something bad might happen because of Larethium the Eldest. So he tries to stop it.

In the meantime, the trustants are beginning to lose faith in what they had seen, especially Charlie, who disbelieves everything now.

And you know what that means! Larethium pays them a visit, and kidnaps Josh Hartnett, Sally, Jess, Aburn, Moonfang, and Jeffery (although he doesn't think Charlie is worthwhile).

In the end, Godzilla tromps around San Diego, CA, General Wintinbin creates a huge mess, the Geicko lizard shows up, a jackalope kills a dragon, and Charlie finally believes in mythical beasts again ...when she accidentally poisons Snarkindron.

Oops...

And... the story has spawned another sequel! The story isn't finished yet, but here is where we're at:

During the Academy Awards, THE COUNCIL has rigged the contest so Josh Hartnett can win the Best Actor award, and give a speech that will slowly introduce the humans to THE COUNCIL. Alas, it doesn't work. As Josh Hartnett's name is called out, the director behind him shot...with an arrow.

So who is this person? A human bitter that Orlando Bloom didn't win? Someone who just didn't like the director? Or could it be an elf, who was aiming for Josh Hartnett and missed?

Nobody knows, but as soon as Snarkindron sees this, he rushes over.

In the meantime, the gryphon trustants are on the move. They see an elf fleeing the scene, Archer. She
had been paid to stand near the scene of the crime, but nobody knows for certain if she was the one who shot the director or not.

Another elf also flees from the crime scene, though is not noticed. He is a psychopath known as X, and may have also shot the arrow. But whatever the case, he KNOWS who the assassin is. He e-mails Snarkindron (no really, he did) and tells him that he is willing to tell him who did it. Of course, Snarkindron has his own problems.

As soon as he sees this director get assassinated, he decides to go there NOW. Unfortunately, as he goes to the scene of the crime, he promptly gets arrested as a suspect for the murder of this director. He goes grudgingly to jail, but only for a little while. One of the benefits of being a switchling is being able to sneak out easily. He goes to his lair and eventually to THE COUNCIL chambers.

In the meantime, the high elves have just found out about this mess. At the king's council meeting, (where Nitara, Cora, and Laura, pretending to be Nilly are) a high elf announces what happened, at around the end of the meeting. The high elves are very much surprised, and all except Cora (who declares, "Why should we worry about THE COUNCIL?") is worrying about how they can handle this delicate situation. Nitara's parents are worried.

As far as Nilly? Her maid is posing as her at the meeting. NILLY is taking care of a dark elf, who nobody really knows what has happened. All they DO know is he has some sort of amnesia, and is very weak and injured. He too might have shot the arrow.

Snarkindron called a COUNCIL meeting, to mend things with the elves, and find out who did it. He sent a fairy to the high elves, Mallin to the dark elves, and Vivaldi to the wood elves. He himself goes to pick up a mysterious dark elf, who claims that he knows something about the assassination. Mallin got in a little bit of trouble while she was trying to get the dark elves, and came upon a mysterious house.

And the high elves? That is ONE big mess.

Nitara accidentally came to her sister Nilly, while Nilly was taking care of a dark elf. High elves and dark elves together are no-nos. It's forbidden. When Nitara sees them, she is (rightfully so) confused, and she tells her parents, the king and queen. The king and queen promptly banish Nilly, and they are rather upset. Instead of going themselves to THE COUNCIL, they send Cora, the evil daughter whom Nitara is trying to befriend.

Mallin is not in a good mood. Not only did she go into this freaky haunted house, but she finds this room full of empty coffins with NAMES on them. There are two groups of coffins. The dead people's coffins (empty) are cast aside to one section of the room, while the living people's coffins are standing upright, ready to be filled (or so one would think).

Anyways, Mallin runs out of there, picks up the dark elf queen, Xotica, and she brings her to THE COUNCIL. Or tries. While navigating the storm, a gryphon trustant lands on her (hard) and she is forced to go to an abandoned island and wait.

Snarkindron got the dark elf, possible assassin guy and brought him down to THE COUNCIL. But on the way, he met Ada. Ada is a water nymph (a spirit that is supposed to be in control of water). She and Snarkindron have had some history together, and she wanted to meet with him to discuss about this elf thing, and point a finger at another suspect, a wood elf named Fallon.

Of course Fallon attacks Snarkindron. But the gryphons that are guarding Snarkindron fend them off, and then they all go down to THE COUNCIL together.

As expected, the different elf factions don't get along. Period. But, as it soon becomes evident, Snarkindron was a fool for trusting Fallon to sit idly by while the meeting went on, and Fallon uses her illusionary magic to kidnap Snarkindron, Ada, and a wood elf, Aletar. She also gets out. She kidnaps them, and then starts cackling evilly, and doing evil things.

Snarkindron couldn't care less. Ada and Aletar on the other hand are concerned.

MEANWHILE

Charlie IS a brat. She is not getting any job opportunities, and she is jobless, can't go to college, and is generally unhappy about her future. She has written a couple of mean letters to Snarkindron (you can read them at my website) and she wants a job.

Jess, on the other hand is quite happy with her situation. A penpal is writing to her from Japan (OMG! Do they look like anime???) Of course, it gets a little hairy when that pen pal is writing in Arabic. Fortunately for Jess, Aburn, her best friend, can translate Arabic.

That penpal is Amasis, a human switchling, and when Jess hints to him that she knows about THE COUNCIL, Amasis is interested. He doesn't want be living in a lie since he hides the fact he is a switchling. But that doesn't matter. He's traveling
around with Aburn and Vivaldi as we speak. Aburn hasn't a clue that he's anyone special, and Vivaldi thinks he's Snarkindron. (After all, he smells like switchling).

Oh, and Charlie has the worse luck. No, let me rephrase that. Charlie, Moonfang, and Jeffery have the worst luck. They accidentally found the place where Snarkindron and others are kidnapped. Moonfang runs in, yelling and screaming - she gets put into a prison cell. Charlie goes after her - she is put in a prisoner's cell. Finally, after a while, Snarkindron saves them and then they go off. Snarkindron decides to turn back for the other girls -- big mistake. He is quickly shot down by arrows laced with dragonsbane. He is down for the count.

Fortunately, the hot females take him to the magician's place (the magician usually helps heal mythical creatures; it's his cover). But, of course, the magician does not like Snarkindron and takes him to a foreboding castle in Mt. Everest.

IN THE MEANTIME, Mallin (gryphon) has been transported into some strange place -- a place that has a dark elf known as Pylathis who is getting steadily more evil. She, being a nice gryphon is trying to reason with him, but he is rather difficult to get along with.

Also, Moonfang crashes a helicopter in Jess's house, takes the trustants who she can see admist the dust and then promptly flies off and crashes in a nearby field. The FBI are currently investigating. Jess is staying with Charlie.

What else?

Something screwy is happening with the high elves. That is, Cora is being forced to marry Takkar (she loathes him) or else she won't have the kingdom.

Xotica, queen of dark elves, is staying with Nilly (princess of high elves) and Klayth and is just hanging out, sleeping. She will come back to realize her throne has been usurped from her.

Already, Pylathas (dark elf who usurps the throne) has taken over it and has exposed it to Mallin. Now Mallin is drugged.
Snarkindron is in a bit of a pickle.

Jess is annoying Jeffery (not a good idea).

And the gryphons are slowly dividing.

*AHEM*

*Gets off soapbox*

EDIT: I realize that is one big summary, but you must forgive me. All of these stories, after editing, combined are more than 600 pages in Word, single-spaced, 12pt Times New Roman.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

40 Reviews

Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:52 am
View Likes
little x soldier says...

I did like the story at beginning but after it became a bit randomly ummm let me say misunderstood to me. I can also say it's totally unique and quite creative...
Is creative writing just for stories?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:10 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Face it: I can't do good summaries. :P

But it is a wild story and it is much better than how I put it. Much better...

No, creative writing is also evident in poetry. When I shot my poor little bluebird, this wasn't too cliched.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:10 pm
View Likes
Matt Bellamy says...

That is a very strange encounter, did you even know the person?

Nope, never seen him before in my life. He was about thirty...creeped me out a little.

I really like this topic you started, Matt..

Ta :D
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

685 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:06 am
View Likes
Rei says...

Here's something my mother once said on the topic. There are only thirty-six stories. All the rest is interpretation.

40 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:35 am
View Likes
little x soldier says...

'There are only thirty-six stories'

well, could be... but why '36'?

you their names?

I'm not sure about my summeries yet so wont be posting.. yet

685 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:05 pm
View Likes
Rei says...

I don't know if the number is accurate, or who came up with it. I'm just quoting my mother. But the concept, I believe, is accurate.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:25 pm
Snoink says...

I think the number is 42 actually. :lol:

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:56 am
View Likes
Elelel says...

I was going to say that!!! *pretends to sulk*

My big "idea" (which is probably not at all origanal, but I've never seen it before) is my fairies are bad. And that elves, goblins, pixies, etc are all products of cloning and genetic modification that went ... right. Because there's this guy, who's been alive since the middle ages because he's friends with God (which is probably blasphemous, but I like my God character. He's how I see God, so I don't think it's too blasphemous ... unles you like vengeful gods. Then you won't like mine, because mine's nice and kind) and he invented cloning and stuff before even electricity (which is probably impossible, but who cares. It's creative, it doesn't need to make sense). And the only way he could get elves' skin to be green was to put plant cells in it ... so elves can photosynthesis (spelling, but you know what I'm getting at). And the fairies were BAD, and ran off, then this guy's castle started getting over populated, so he asked God if He could create another worls for them ... and they found a parallel world and ... yeah, it goes on.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

685 Reviews

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:28 pm
Rei says...

Doesn't anyone have an opinion on my idea?

You know how hard it is to feel like an extreme falcon-headed combat machine when somebody calls you "chicken man"?
— Rick Riordan, The Red Pyramid