z

Young Writers Society

What's in a title?

Reviews: 0
Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:16 pm
close_ur_eyes says...

What do titles mean to you? Here are some titles, make up a summary of the story you think it would be about based on the title. I think I might use these titles...depends.

Finding Alex Linden.

Forget.

Dream Stealer.

Nowhere.
"It's hard to save the world, but someone's got to do it."

Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:18 pm
close_ur_eyes says...

Some of them have titles that give away the story but it might be more than that.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:28 pm
Crysi says...

*blinks* Finding Alex Linden? *laughs* Sorry. Mesh'll get why I'm laughing.. Wow.

Hmm.. Forget sounds like it might be about a teenager who was involved in some horrible accident and they saw way too much, so his/her mind shut down and the kid basically forgot that day. OR the kid wants to forget, because the accident haunts the kid, sending him/her into a nightmare world of remembering.
Love and Light

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:31 pm
Duskglimmer says...

Nowhere

I'd probably turn it into some small town kid that thinks that he/she lives in the middle of nowhere and decides that he has to get out and go somewhere exciting only to find out that that other place is the real "nowhere"
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

506 Reviews

Reviews: 506
Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:33 pm
Sureal says...

I like my title to hint at part of the story line, whilst at the same time having a deeper meaning.

For example, 'A Difference in Opinion'.
When you get a little way in, you soon realise this is because the main character is arguing with her boss (they have different opinions) about their plan.
But as you go on, you find out that their both aliens. The main character has more or less become 'human', giving her an almost human like attitude (including the way she talks - her boss speaks pretty differently to her). She believe humans are better then their race (and of course, her boss disagrees)

I also try and make the title easy to remember, and also have it sound good.
I wrote the above just for you.

594 Reviews

Crysi says...

Firstly, I think one-word titles are fine. I'd pick up a book called Forget. Don't judge a book by its cover, Jack. Or, in this case, by its title.

Secondly, you're not participating. :P
Love and Light

447 Reviews

Duskglimmer says...

Now, see... I'm the exact opposite... the longer the title, the less likely I am to pick it up. I guess it sort of works out in my mind that if you spend forever thinking up a huge title that you didn't spend enough time on the actual story.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:35 pm
close_ur_eyes says...

Duskglimmer- Interesting...you sorta got it.

Firestarter- I know...I jsut didn't know what to name them.

Crysi- Not really.....

594 Reviews

Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:36 pm
Crysi says...

Hey, I didn't know this was a guessing game. You said to make up a summary, so I did.
Love and Light

Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:37 pm
close_ur_eyes says...

The way I explain why I picked the one word titles is because later in the story it will have a huge meaning...

Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:38 pm
close_ur_eyes says...

I know it is...I'm just saying.

447 Reviews

Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:17 pm
Duskglimmer says...

close_ur_eyes wrote:Duskglimmer- Interesting...you sorta got it.

Really? which part did I get?
Boo. SPEW is watching.

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:38 pm
Rei says...

Dream Stealer sounds like a fantasy novel about a witch or something that it taking away people's dreams using some sort of evil spell so she can kill the magic in the world and people stop caring about the future so the world can be plunged into darkness.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:24 pm
lon_205 says...

I think Dream Stealer could also be a title to a story in which the main character has dreams to become a movie star (or something like that), but she catches some disease. This changes her life. Or perhaps she/he becomes wheelchair bound. Obviously the end would be so happy that she/he either is cured of his/her disease, or she/he is fufills her/his dream. She/he would clearly be bullied and come from a rough area.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:13 am
sabradan says...

"Forget" makes me think of a story where somebody, for some reason, knows TOO MUCH, and they'd best fuhgeddaboutit haha, I had to do that, couldn't resist. Or else. Fuhgeddaboutit!
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.
— Mitch Hedberg