z

Young Writers Society

Penny Apiece

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:04 pm
gyrfalcon says...

For a long time now, I've had those two words stuck in my head, bouncing around from one side to the other. They don't really mean anything (as of yet) but I get the idea that I'd really like to build a story around them, perhaps something steampunk or urban fantasy. What do you guys think 'penny apiece' refers to? Is anyone else getting the spark of inspiration?
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:49 pm
Poor Imp says...

'Lo Gyr. ^_^

Er, yes. I don't suppose I could steal them from you...? ^_~ But a bit more to the point, I don't know what they refer--can't say I've any linear thought. They're the type of words I'd simply set on a page at the top, and start writing below....

(Though honestly, 'penny apiece' somehow makes me imagine something like microchips--dubbed 'pennies'--either stolen; or perhaps assigned. Everyone with a 'penny' in their wrist. Illegal messing with them, changing them... If they were identity chips or some such thing.)

IMP
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:44 pm
Twit says...

Penny apiece thoughts...

Ooh, shiny!

Buy lunch with it.

Who's got the penny?

A group of people, and each one's got a penny apiece?

What are they, soldiers? In a country where they take a penny instead of a shilling when they join up?

A girl called Penny, and she's in pieces. Maybe she's got Multiple Personality Disorder? Lots of pieces of her?

Loads of clones, and they're all called Penny?

Everyone has a penny? Everyone's rich? Everyone's poor?

... I could go on, but is this the sort of thing you want?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

440 Reviews

Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:41 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Yes, yes, this is wonderful! You're both geniuses--keep it going!

A few ideas of my own:

A low-rent assassin who gets paid a penny for each assassination...or puts a penny on each of his victims (in their mouths, in their pockets?).

Sharpened pennies used as weapons?

An old, grubby man in the street, selling second chances for a penny each?

Keep it going, this rocks!
"In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function...We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~C.S. Lewis

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:01 am
MidnightVampire says...

Wow. I like your assasination idea, I'd definatly read that. I'd probably finish it in a day if the writing is good (I haven't read any of your writing.. I don't think...)
The first think that comes to my mind is based off of a poem that I wrote for NaPo called garage sale of memories.

A penny for each memory.

All I got, love the assasination one. it rockx.
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

459 Reviews

Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:06 am
Poor Imp says...

Oy, more? But haven't you got to light on one, at the end? ^_^'

...Penny, a piece--penny could be a slang scrap that kids used for souls--or for the "other" that is inarguably present in humanity. Pennies, then, in pieces--broken people.

Penny Apiece--suppose it could also be about things being worthless. Perhaps a game, or a system in which 'pennies' are given, token pay or recompense nearly mocking in its lack of value.

A game that goes with a nursery rhyme, 'penny a'piece, penny a'piece. drop me hand if 'tis slick with grease...'

Something almost meaningless...but suppose those with grease-hands do something particular; perhaps work below ground, in clockwork; or gov. men.

Ha, oy, 'tis too much fun to think up arbitrary threads for a tale. ^_^

IMP

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

440 Reviews

Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:38 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Well, the idea is that I shall light on one, but I rarely ever use just one story idea to a story. Gypsie Eyes is about three or four. And anyway, other people can use these too!

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri May 02, 2008 5:26 pm
Stori says...

You won't hate me for this?

A girl who slips a penny to anyone she likes. I know, it's stupid.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

440 Reviews

Fri May 02, 2008 6:43 pm
gyrfalcon says...

Tis not stupid!

I should like to thank all of you for you invaluable help--this has now begun to take a foggy kind of shape in my head, and there's a character named "Tuppence" who is a nearly direct result of one of Imp's ideas, about penny=soul...

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Fri May 02, 2008 9:06 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

:shock:

Can I give you advice? Don't call your character that. It is an English slang word which means a certain part of a girl's anatomy. :oops:
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

1176 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1176
Fri May 02, 2008 9:19 pm
Twit says...

It's an oldish word, Heidi...

What about Thrippence, Gyr? Or Ha'penny (HAYP-nee) with half a soul?
"TV makes sense. It has logic, structure, rules, and likeable leading men. In life, we have this."

#TNT

440 Reviews

Sat May 03, 2008 2:42 am
gyrfalcon says...

Whoops, didn't know, shall have to, erm, take care of that...

459 Reviews

Sat May 03, 2008 4:43 am
View Likes
Poor Imp says...

Heidigirl666 wrote::shock:

Can I give you advice? Don't call your character that. It is an English slang word which means a certain part of a girl's anatomy. :oops:

Oy, that's, er, true...but it's also the name of a brilliant Agatha Christie character. Never read Tommy and Tuppence mysteries, my friend?

IMP

-Lloyd Alexander

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss