z

Young Writers Society

Create a Useless Superpower

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:16 pm
View Likes
GengarIsBestBoy says...

Creativity challenge: think of a superpower that is either useless or oddly specific (or both). If you'd like you can write a lil story about it too (or just a few sentences)

I'll start:

In a world full of actually useful superheroes, Tortoise Man had a hard time saving cities from bad guys. Unlike others, who had super strength and time travel and whatnot, he had the power to move as fast as a tortoise. One day, he told himself, one day I will accomplish something big. I'll show them all . But that day hadn't yet come; while he waited for his time to shine, he slowly inched toward a kitten stuck in a tree. But by the time he was almost there, the kitten jumped out. He sighed. One day.
That’s the thing with life: no one makes it out alive.

—Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice the Musical

[Gengar! :D they/she]
[Spooky month fan, internet cryptid, certified nerd]

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:45 pm
View Likes
herbalhour says...

handle-hero

they can put handles on anything
that's it
the handles do nothing
it's just handles
they don't even open things

spotify
NOW PLAYING:
I Think He Knows, Taylor Swift
0:10 ──●───────── 2:55
◁∥ ||PLAY|| // STOP // ∥▷

~l o v e r~

herb/tea/hour! He/She

projects:
5 acts (poetry)
treading through abyss (novel)

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:34 pm
View Likes
avianwings47 says...

I love this idea! (And creating new superpowers)

Birdman was bitten by a radioactive bird. Unfortunately, he was bitten by a Kakapo, granting him the powers of this bird.

Kakapos are regarded as one of the dumbest birds in the world. (Poor guys) They can't fly and are pretty much defenseless against prey. And, since Mr. Birdman has no feathers, he can't even inherit the Kakapo's sub-par camouflage skills. Kakapos also have terrible eyesight both night and day. But, hey, if a Kakapo is loud enough and the air is still, you can hear them from three miles away.

Essentially, Birdman inherited the worst attributes of a bird... but he has some pretty good hearing!
hi

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:44 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

woah i had a whole story idea about characters with very small and specific superpowers a few years ago xD the main character could turn a little blurry at the edges, like a very watered-down version of invisibility…

hm i’m also a fan of Friction Fighter— they can increase or decrease friction at will. this is very useful in stopping speeding trains (although the heat generated by the train rubbing along the track might set it on fire) and sliding objects across the ground to other superheroes (unfortunately, Friction Fighter has forgotten to increase friction and stop the objects a few times… maybe FF stands for Friendly Fire…)
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:06 am
View Likes
avianwings47 says...

The ability to have a really good punch. That's it. And the cool-down is like five hours.
hi

Reviews: 3
Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:48 am
View Likes
JazzElectrobass says...

The ability to make people's eyebrows wiggle
I am the Timekeeper, Quote Hunter, and Grave Visitor

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon." — Paul Brandt

Jazz Elektrobass

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:06 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Ability to have fire extinguisher stuff come out of their hands.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Spend your days thinking about things that are good and true and beautiful and noble, and you will become good and true and beautiful and noble.
— Matthew Kelly