z

Young Writers Society

Just write it.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:31 pm
MiwaKi says...

While procrastinating, I came across something on the net that gave me this idea...

The object of the activity is to take the given random words, and write a story using them (or as many as you possibly can), at least a paragraph long. (But the longer the merrier.)

I'm giving two options for this activity. The first being a short list of random words, and the second being a paragraph of random words. With the paragraph, try to write something longer, and use as many of the words or ideas from the random paragraph as you can in your story.

The goal is to write something as amazingly rational, sane, deep, etc... as you possibly can, using these totally random and unrelated words. Eg, don't just put down any old thing, but try to actually make something decent with it. The better, deeper, more captivating or interesting your piece is, the better you did. Same for being able to use the harder/trickier words/sentence ideas.

The random words to start off with are:

particular, fragment, take, ice, island, thread, laughing

The random "paragraph" is:

Outside the concept beams the nameless oriental. The enough anniversary doles each sand underneath the stationary composite. The apathy consents underneath the storm! Can the imperative poetry starve? An addictive river suspects.

Your random character names are (if you want to be totally random):

Male: Benito

Female: Erin

Either: Macey, Sasha

These came from a random generator, so no complaints please. :?

As a footnote, I'll give you an example using one sentence. "A normal neighbor awaits another aided stereotype." & random name Erin.

Example: Erin put her arms around her mother's neck and so aided by her mother, was helped out of the van into her wheelchair. She grabbed her bag from the floor of the van, and put it on her lap, and then started wheeling herself toward the new house. Halfway up the front walk, she caught a glimpse of one of her normal neighbors staring at her over a tall hedge with pity. Erin continued on to the door, however, ignoring the stereotype. She knew that there was yet another person who didn't understand. Her life wasn't over just because she couldn't walk.

(6 words, 1 name used)
-Ki

"It's a truly rare man in this world, who can forgive those who hate him so easily from his heart. I wish they were all like you." - Old Man, KNF

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:26 am
Via says...

I'm taking the words option: particular, fragment, take, ice, island, thread, laughing

Standing outside the cabin, a tornado of white surrounded my eskimo figure. To me, snow was the only good thing to come of winter--if it weren't for snow I would have moved to a tropical island years before. It was always amazing to see everything covered in a while blanket after the first snow of the season; before the snowplows ruined the beauty. This particular snow was more cultivating than any before. It was Christmas eve, the day in which it always snowed in story books, but rarely in reality. I glanced to my left and a smile quickly comeover my cold lips. A father was helping his daughter learn to iceskate atop a thin layer of ice over a small pond. She slipped, he slipped--they both laughed histerically as they were engulfed in what seemed like tiny falling fragments of a bursting snowcloud. The snow was so fine it was almost as if you could run a thread through the flakes and sew yourself a snowball to keep forever; one to take with you wherever you went. Snow is such a decieving factor of winter--we would never make it to Spring without it.
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:35 am
Vampirewolf3 says...

My random words: flower, pencil, door, book, table, person, knife

Harry picked up the chewed-up pencil that lay on his desk and twirled it on this thumb idly. He spun around in his swivel chair and looked about the room. A wilting flower drooped in a vase that lay on a neglected table nearby. I really must get some more, Harry thought, they really brighten up the room. With his face towards the window, he gazed through the it at the street some 500 feet below. The door to Harry's office slammed.
"What is it Greg?" inquired Harry, without turning around. The person at the door has holding a knife.
"Your time is up, Harry. Or should I say, Crink!"
With a heave, the knife flew from Greg's hand. Without turning, Harry picked up a book, which the knife impaled.

My creative juices are running low, so that was the best I could come up with.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:46 am
Shafter says...

Ooh, good idea, but we ought to do it like the character answer game, where the previous person leaves the words for the next person. So, to start, here are my words:
Peace, applesauce, newspaper, sword, laser gun, rabbit.

Trapped. Benito cast a glance down the narrow alley, any moment expecting his enemy's silhouette to emerge, laser gun framed in the pale dusk light. He felt like a rabbit in a hunter's trap, unable to go back, afraid to go on. Trapped! And with a lousy dagger, too. Where was a good laser sword when you needed it?
He turned and tramped onward, feet trampling old newspapers and some sort of sludge that looked vaguely like applesauce. He cursed under his breath. He didn't want this, he wanted...
What did he want?
Peace. That was it.
Could that possibly be too much to ask?

And... the next words are: President, television, dinosaur, expectations, guitar, helplessness.
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:54 am
Vampirewolf3 says...

And... the next words are: President, television, dinosaur, expectations, guitar, helplessness.

Last night, the president gave a press conference about the newest expectations for car safety. It wasn't until the next day that it was broad-casted on television.
While the president in our universe was giving a speech, the same president in a parallel universe was bravely defending his people from invading dinosaurs. They had become restless in the past few weeks, for winter was approaching. However, as a T-Rex crushed their last defense, everyone was filled with a sense of dread and helplessness.
In yet still another universe, a prime minister was giving guitar lessons to a blue chimpanzee.

The next words are: funny, broken, gorilla, flamingo, today. Have fun!

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:57 am
Shafter says...

LOL, Vampire! But remember, you should give a list of more random words for the next person. But since you didn't, I will...

Vampire, lime green, truth, Superman, enterprise, elation, mailbox
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

All the turtles are related.
— Jack Hanna