z

Young Writers Society

Ultra-short Fiction

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:00 am
Emerson says...

I saw this on another forum and loved it.

The idea- To write a short story in under 100 words, on the topic provided by the person above you.

I'll give an example (just because I loved this story I made) The topic is hospital, and heres the story:

I slipped my shirt back on as fast as I could, only to realize I had forgotten to put my bra on. There it was lying on the white tile, staring up at me as if proof of my guilt.
“I never thought I’d loose my virginity in a hospital…” I said to myself, since my accomplice had left the room, back to visiting his soon-to-be-dead grandmother.
It had felt like pleasure mounded in the pit of my stomach, covered over by a thin layer of embarrassment. I never liked hospitals.
---

There you go, it just has to have the topic in it some way or another. So the next topic?

Russia.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:43 am
Jiggity says...

Tsar Nicholas II looked anxiously out the window, at the sleepy, snow-mantled city of St Petersburg. It was perfect; his homeland, his city, and jewel. A thick layer of cloud filtered through the burning rays of the sun so only a soft sunshine glowed upon the snow this spectacular Sunday morn.

Peering into the distance, he frowned; the people were marching, marring his pristine world. A sneer formed on his cold, autocratic features; Rasputin had foretold this eventuality; a smile tugged at his lips as the staccato beat of many rifles mowed down the innocent…eliciting terrified screams and sparkling blood.

It's exactly one hundred words! Woo!

Abuse.
Mah name is jiggleh. And I like to jiggle.

"Indecision and terror, thy name is novel." - Chiko

2058 Reviews

Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:54 am
Emerson says...

He had just beaten me. You would think I’d be mad or maybe even scared but I wasn’t. I just went back in for more; tried to convince myself he was worth it. It’s not like he always did this, he usually just goes off and punches holes in walls but this time I was his wall. I didn’t mind that much. It was kind of fun being his personal punching bag. And besides, I loved him, didn’t I? Of course, it got a less exciting when he pulled the gun out. Goodbye bruise concealing make up, hello body bag!

also 100 exactly ;-) of course I didn't count free hand, I used MS word...lol

Computer Cables.
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:13 am
Poor Imp says...

Don't tell anyone. Imp cheated on word-count. Oy. !_!

--

No matter how neat he was, the cables tangled. Serpentine, winding desk leg and out against the wall, they tied knots--or gave the knotted impression. Some loose looked twisted as torture, and others... "Bloody useless..."
He yanked, impudently impatient. Sparks. The tapered tower whined into long-suffering silence.
He only hoped being paid didn't hinge on perfect success. By the hour, wasn't it? In ideal theory, he admitted--in his dreams. Distracted, half-asleep fellow in the flat's front room looked vague enough with his thin hands fisted over paper and a pen. He thought it had been a pen. Bloody crazy.
Cable hung limp through his gloved hand, he glanced over his shoulder. The dead-void screen followed his gaze. The tower didn't even hum.
"Bloody useless," he muttered, "Useless."

---

Next: sunrise
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

2058 Reviews

Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:33 am
Emerson says...

It was a soft white at the edges, a bright orange in the center, and as it came up, slumping over the horizon, it sang to me. It pressed to my skin and warmed me, even though the warmth didn’t mean much to me by then. The darkness had finally gone away; I didn’t care though, because soon it would always be dark the way I saw things. An obliterating darkness is what I will soon see. The blindness will soon take over and leave me useless, never again to see this slumping star. My slumping star.

----------

Next: dry hands.

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:23 pm
Kel says...

The towel soaked up the water from my fingers. When I lay it across the sink to dry, I rubbed my hands together, frowning at the sound. Too many dishes.

The tile beneath my feet was slick with water, so I was careful not to slip. I moved bottles of cleanser. Away with the sanitizer tablets and the Windex. Where was the hand lotion?

My hands felt like stone. I rubbed them across my thighs, but it was no use. There was no hand lotion to be found! Raising my hands to my face, I frowned.

I spit in them.
---------------
100 words!

Next: Rice
Write from the heart and nothing can go wrong. It's when you write from the wallet that the feeling goes away.

2058 Reviews

Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:07 pm
Emerson says...

This is just weird....
----

He had ordered Chinese food for the night, but forgot I didn’t like rice. I didn’t blame him, its hard to understand. I don’t mind the taste or the color or mixing it in with my foods, its that rice gives me memories.

Remember all those times you had to clean out the rice cooker because no one else would? Or how, if you didn’t make the rice just right, it would get hard and everyone would be mad even though the other foods you had made were delicious?

But I ate the rice to please him.
------------

Next: oven(s)

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:35 pm
Cassandra says...

Chocolate chip cookies. Scrumptious and soft, if done right. Black and charred if not. You would think, wouldn't you, that it would be fairly simple? An egg or two, some flour, a teaspoon of vanilla flavouring?

The oven door had creaked open like the antique it was, a wave of heat rolling across the air like an unseen surge of fear curving down your esophagus. And then the harsh orange, dazzling red glowing from within, blossoming into a fatal flower, its fingers forming the graceful arcs of a dancer. And your cookies, ashen lumps with oozing black chocolate.
------

98 words! I could, of course, add "The End" onto the last sentence, but you know. :)

All this talk of food, plus the fact that I missed lunch is making hungry, so...

Next: Chocolate
"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."
-Chuck Palahniuk

2058 Reviews

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:59 pm
Emerson says...

I had to fight the addiction. They told me I should stop, but it was too tempting! The way it melts in your mouth and then you’re on a high like no other—That is, until its gone and you want another piece.

“More, more, MORE,” I would beg, but each time they shook their heads. I had gained so much weight from this cursed thing. If only they would have known the only reason I ate was because they said no, then maybe they’re let me have some? Then maybe I’d stop eating? Never.

“May I have Some Chocolate?”
---

100 by MS words count :-D but I've never trusted that thing anyway..

Next: NaNoWriMo :-D

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:03 am
Meep says...

Right, uhm, someone else can have their topic be NaNoWriMo. I was being stupid and just skimming the thread. :oops:
Last edited by Meep on Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

2058 Reviews

Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:09 am
Emerson says...

Meep...You seem to have not realized there is a given topic to the 100 words XD Yours was NaNoWriMo. *points to above posts*

210 Reviews

Reviews: 210
Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:47 am
Meep says...

Oh, dear. I'm sorry.
I saw "next: NaNoWriMo" and thought you were refering to what you were going to be writing next. This is what I get for skimming threads.
I'll got fix it ASAP!

(Actually, in a backwards sort of way, that was about WriMo, sort of ... my first attempt was about those two, but mostly Mariel. I'm workin on it.)
✖ I'm sick, you're tired. Let's dance.

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:45 pm
bubblewrapped says...

NaNoWriMo. She had joined as soon as it started, of course, but with one thing and another (school, college, her boyfriend, her job) she’d never had the time to actually join in – until now. Her ideas were there and waiting, her laptop was on and the desk was empty of distractions – and yet she couldn’t get started. Just – nothing. Days ticked by with a rapidity that was alarming, but the page remained empty. Finally, on November 23rd she gave up in disgust.
“Obviously I’m just not a novelist,” she decided.
The next day, she sat down and wrote it all.

---

Exactly 100 words! Yay!

---

NEXT TOPIC: Butterflies
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:40 am
Poor Imp says...

It lit like light on his fingertip, gossamer wings translucent and veined in threads of gold and blue. Still, the round-faced boy stared. "'Fly," he whispered, tentative. "Fly?"

It fluttered. He was too young to become impatient with it, too old not to notice, too young not be anything but earnest. And so with quiet thoughtlessness, he raised his hand and waited, crinkle-eyed against the noon-sun and serious.

"Fly, fly," he said. "Fly."

-

73 words ^_^ ...I didn't cheat this time.

--

Next topic: Cyberspace
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

2058 Reviews

Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:50 pm
Emerson says...

The internet is a series of tubes. Or is it? It is also a space: cyber space. But dangerous! Watch out for those creeps.
I found one day that is not very good to randomly leave your personal information in cyber’s space because you will get scammed. You wouldn’t believe the fraud! I was getting calls from my credit card company daily, but I did nothing to stop it. I dropped my money into that space, into those “tubes” and watch it fly away.
Gambling: I don’t bet, I always loose and can never win. But I am dangerous like that.
---

Writing that was not fun! It was just hard! and weird...

Next Topic: An Energy drink.

I’ll paraphrase Thoreau here... Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness, give me truth.
— Christopher Johnson McCandless