z

Young Writers Society

Character Journals

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:35 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

This goes hand in hand in hand with character development, but I thought it would work better here. The idea is to take an old (or new if you lack an old one, a new) notebook and make a journal out of it for either an existing character of yours, or a new character and make up a story through journal entries. You could create something interesting there.

Or, and I just thought of it, make a personal journal within a fictional setting. Well, maybe not you you, but maybe a new character with your personality. Or, maybe you could do yourself, if you wanted to.

This should help you get into the characters head, even your own if you go that route. So, give it a shot, and see what happens.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:58 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

Actually, that's what I've used my writing LJ for in the past. If I'm stuck on a scene, sometimes it helps to really get into the character's head. I didn't realize what Malkin was experiencing later on until he wrote his journal.
Love and Light

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:06 am
View Likes
Sage says...

I like this idea. Of course, I've always been completely obsessed with poking around inside my characters' heads, because despite (or rather, because of) the fact that they are dark, scary places, they're much more interesting than my own.

A twist I did on this, once, was a series of letters between two characters. Not necessarily things they would actually put in writing, either; the kinds of letters you go and write and then never mail or rip up. It was pretty enlightening.
True friends stab you in the FRONT. (Oscar Wilde)

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:01 pm
Shafter says...

Ooh, good idea! I do have a problem in that my main character can hardly read and can't write, but I could do it for most of my secondary characters. Now I have something to do with all those journals I get for my birthday! :D
Got YWS?

Over 18? Join The Writers Society today!
http://www.thewriterssociety.com

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:02 pm
Wiggy says...

That is a GREAT idea!!!!! Thanks for the input shadow. :D I'll totally use it!

Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:15 pm
View Likes
Dream Deep says...

I used to do that for The Tower of Souls... only they were all Works documents and when the computer crashed it took pretty much everything with it... o.O

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:32 am
Myth says...

I've done this before, my characters overreact to eveything and I ended up trashing it all. Monessa would probably be the most dramatic character si I won't even do this with her but Calais is the only one I'll attempt.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:58 pm
SamansaKun says...

Hey, I did that with my character Amber. AKA, Amber of the Shadows. Accept. I havn't written in it in a while. I am btter at typing than printing. my hands get tired cause I usually draw before I write. I get in trouble alot for drawing instead of going to bed. That just gave me an idea, if you like art, add a picture to match somewhat like what's hapening!

If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.
— Mo Willems