z

Young Writers Society

Making a storybook that doesn't end in the middle

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:04 pm
kayfortnight says...

I have a feeling that the reason some people join many storybooks is because some of those will never start, and others won't continue beyond the first few pages. I can't be the only one on YWS wondering how to maximize a storybook's chances of surviving, whether you're just a participant or the owner of the storybook.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:25 pm
View Likes
KingLucifer says...

This is from due experience that I have had.

First, is people who join, more often than not you'll have people who try to keep a Storybook going when no one else is posting. A lot of the older members who have been around for a year or two would know what I'm saying, you don't have very high chances of a storybook sticking around if those members just joined YWS in recent times. This is mainly because they are inexperienced and may have a social life that could catch up to them at any point in time. I've seen this, I know.

Second is, there is no good, nor evil. Everyone has a reason for joining a side, Storybooks that allow either side to win instead of just one side being designated to win. Storybookers see this as a open ended plot where either side could win, for a variety of reasons of course.

Memborable characters, Wonderland Rift 1 and 2 is nortorious for this, cause the characters are just so well fleshed out and they feel so real. Lordshire (VeerenVKS), Miranda (Alvarin), Yamani (ShadowVyper) they each had really good characters that had there own hardships and there own reasons for doing what they need to. These characters were really good, and if you can get a Storybook that has characters this good if not better, then I definitly say this improves your chances.
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:46 pm
View Likes
veeren says...

As LH said above, the most important part of any storybook is the cast. Not so much the characters, but the people participating. If you have a team of members that work well together, you're SB will prosper for as long as you want it to. You can't rely on one person to keep the story going, it's a team effort. That being said, it's almost a guarantee that people will stop posting; interest can only be held for so long.
I think this is the reason you see quite a bit of invitation-only SBs now. When a group of members find they work well together in one place, they might try it in another.

Another thing to remember when creating an SB you want to last is not to be a push-over. Not everyone can have their way, and when you let everyone do anything they want, it creates chaos. You need rules, limits.

One last thing to know is (though I'm not really for this idea, I quite despise it actually >.<) plotting doesn't hurt. Getting together with all the others in your SB and trying to think of different storylines can only push it forward. While I personally may not like this, I've seen how much it helps both storybooks and storybookers grow.
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Wed May 01, 2013 7:59 am
View Likes
Caesar says...

^All of the above^

Keep the people's interest. If they like the characters, and the SB, they'll keep on posting. What's important, I find, though, is for the creator to like his/her SB. If the creator looses interest, all is lost. First-hand experience ;)
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed May 01, 2013 5:12 pm
View Likes
CowLogic says...

Also, don't give any responsibility to CowLogic.
The course skin of a thousand elephants sewn together to make one leather wallet.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Wed May 01, 2013 5:29 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...

By the twelve gods of the seven conflagrations of Tdzur, no, don't give any responsibility to Bessie.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what Fiction means.
— Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest