z

Young Writers Society

Story book commitment?

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:08 am
Blackwood says...

I have been reading some story book proposals and I have noticed a lot of people signing up for a lot of story books.

Personally I do not favour this because it makes me questionable on whether those people are really going to put it all into ones’ own story book and commit or will they just commit to none at all.

As an author I find it hard to live as multiple characters all at once, when writing/drafting I tend to favour one character over a long period of time (months) and think about him/her only and all their background until they are complete and I would start on a new one.

Seeing someone sign up to many different storybooks may seem fun but I believe that it would take away from not only your own experience but also the other participants in the storybook if your creative attention is broken up so thin. I think that an appropriate number to participate in is one or two.
Discuss?
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:22 am
View Likes
CowLogic says...

I disagree. Everyone is different, and some may work better under different writing conditions. For example, if a minor character in one storybook, which is shown to exhibit a particular trait is the focus of all the energy of the author, the writing may become stretched and almost forced. A little character diversity is good for the mental health of the writer.

In fact, I would even go so far as to sacrifice the characters' substance for how well you describe the characters, which some people can do easily, well, and consistently.

Besides, if the full brunt of an author's writing intensity is placed upon a single character, they will feel the need to overcompensate for this excess of energy by experimenting with weird and unusual practices, along with huge bursts of information that will only complicate the collaborative story that the Storybook seems to be. The focus of a Storybook is typically upon interaction and cooperative story writing than extreme competition and clamor for full attention.

So, in order to not complicate or force a storybook into a state of confusion and sub par balance, it can be beneficial to be enlisted in a plethora of different writing projects, whether they be storybooks or a singular campaign.

Just my two cents. You can give me a nickel if you want to though. The more change the better.
The course skin of a thousand elephants sewn together to make one leather wallet.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:33 am
View Likes
Kale says...

Some people are mad multitasking beasts when it comes to SBing and can make regular, quality posts in like ten SBs at a time. Others, not so much. It all depends on the individual SBer, and so long as everyone is having fun, everything's good.

If you're really worried about commitment and quality, you can always make the SBs you run invitation- or approval-only (i.e. closed) with rules for activity. Closed SBs tend to be more structured than open SBs, and usually last longer. Open SBs tend to be a lot more spontaneous and varied, though.

In any case, variety is good as different people like and can do different things. What works for you doesn't necessarily work for others, vice versa, yadda yadda yadda.

So! My main point is that it's fine that you dedicate yourself to a select few SBs, but it's also fine that there are others who go around joining practically every SB in sight, so long as everyone is having fun.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

There is no quiet. There is only Doc McStuffins.
— Ron Swanson