z

Young Writers Society

A Random Storybook

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:16 am
crossroads says...

Just a thought that has crossed my mind (lot of those I get lately) :mrgreen:

We should put together random characters, all those that make mess in our heads and want to be alive but don't yet have a story to belong to, in a single SB. Perhaps there could be a general background (like, them all living in same town/facility/brain/spaceship/whatever), but other than that and following a few rules, the story should develop itself.

It'd probably be a mess, I know. But still, it would challenge both our imagination and our abilities of working in ever-changing environment in which one can expect nothing and everything.. Wouldn't it? :pirate3:

*goes to sleep as the dawn takes over the sky*
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:28 pm
Caesar says...

Hmmm. This might work, I've seen similar stuff done by Griffinkeeper, where he gave indication of the SB's genre and profile, and that was about it. Similar are the Adventure Chronicles. But those all had some form of direction, see. That's needed, otherwise people will end up floundering about, confused. And about the characters, wouldn't that cause a major issue with technology/cultural/everything differences? You'd have to find a way to work around that, say, a futuristic series of realms interconnected by portals, and some of these realms have different tech/species/blah blah levels. There'd be a common meeting point (I assume).

Furthermore you may want to think of, if not plot, then at least something to spark the character's interests. Something to cause conflict.

If thought out to a degree, this sounds like a really good idea though! ^^ Let me know if something happens to this.

Cheers
~Ita
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

117 Reviews

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:37 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

True, you're right.. I guess I tend to make it too detailed or not detailed enough xD
Technically, they could all just be put somewhere with their memories deleted (like, a prison), so actually it would all be on the writers. But I'm afraid that would fall apart.. So if I ever catch time between all the other SBs (how about you answer the message, btw?) I'll think about it far more ^^
It was just an idea, but I sure will let you know if anything happens ;)

Unrelated.. But how do you actually tag people in posts? It doesn't work with @ like in other places :s
- they/them -

289 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:00 pm
Caesar says...

Hahaha, seek the aurea mediocritas.

Murr. Prison with memory wipe = cliche. Could be fun, but cliche. I don't really like memory wipe because it affects a lot about the person. Strips them of personality and identity, leaves them blank, empty husks. No base knowledge either xD I leave it up to you however.

The [user][/user] tags will be your friends, m'dear.

117 Reviews

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:21 pm
crossroads says...

I surely should, hahah

I kind of hate the fact you're right and I know it xD No vanishing memory and prisons......... Meh, if I start thinking in my normal way, I'll end up with more SB characters than I have in the whole series of my novels.. Not to mention time issues..
I can't stop thinking anymore now ^^

Thanks, LouisCypher (just checking) :mrgreen:
- they/them -

289 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:31 pm
Caesar says...

xD Thinking is good though! Especially when it's SB-related. Just pick the one you think is most promising and go for it. But yes, time issues are important issues. Alas.

It works! Though I don't get a notification for it unlike the @ tag on a wall.

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into… the Twilight Zone.
— Rod Serling