z

Young Writers Society

Urban Scifi Idea

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:52 am
Cspr says...

So, I have an idea. It's pretty detailed. I sort of want to write a novel about it now (-cricket noises- I guess anyone who joins would have to be aware I might write something from the idea eventually), but I've also wanted to make an SB that actually, you know, lasted more than a few weeks on here. I've made RPGs that went for long stints of time, so we'll see.

Basically, veterans and such, tell me what you think, if I should change anything, just write it into a novel instead, etc. Or how it would be for me if I made a storybook and then made the same idea into a novel later--plagiarism of some sort?

Anyway, here's what I got:

Spoiler! :
The world is a mask, something worn by something older at a masquerade ball. Ignore this planet, it insists, look at its greatest--they can barely send a heap of metal into the universe. It took them thousands of years to send a heap of metal into space.

Why? Well, the wearer of the mask is a minx. Well, a collection of minxes whose ancestors destroyed a planet. Mind you, it was a small planet--a worthless piece of rock that some sentient other beings, the Swiatwo, had laid claim to. It was their weapon manufacturing planet, because they were at the point that they could have one. And the minxes’ ancestors? They were rather oppressed, living in forced servitude. But they were sly. So they set back the Swiatwo by roughly fifty years, commandeered a few ships, and fled.

They found earth in its infant stages and decided it would be their home. They had some of their old technology, that of their people and that of the Swiatwo’s, and sped up its happenings. Then they hid, under the earth, and figured themselves safe.

Until humankind started digging. But they were lucky, these sentient beings--named Adhista and later called fairies and aliens. Some of them had one talent--control. Mind control, specifically, but machines and electricity were rather their playthings. Those born without the belts forced upon them by the Swiatwo could confuse the humans, make them dig certain places, give them false readings, and such. It was easy, too. It wasn’t like they hadn’t figured out how to turn granite into gold or black gold--they could make faster-than-light spaceships, couldn’t they?

The Adhista have never much wanted anything to do with humans. Or that’s what they tell their children. In reality, a few have had children with humans--devils and angels, the humans called them--and left their worst children above ground, abandoned. Mythology stemmed from them, from the offspring that stayed above. Heroes. Gods. Anything. They look human enough, except for the slightly box-shaped pupils and sometimes pointed ears, despite their mostly fluid bodies (shifting from one sex to the other, a few inches, a different nose--not so difficult).

They aren’t immortal, a few hundred years is a rough estimate as they require more sunlight than they’ve managed to get and by age six hundred they have an odd habit of killing themselves. Their leader, the Btala, supposedly is reincarnated and the former one supposedly leaves some “sign” that the new Btala will be found by.

That’s the backstory. Now the current story? A group of their offspring have been drawn to a place on the border of Wyoming and Idaho, the (fictitious) town of Coldwater not too far from Yellowstone. Why? It’s uncertain. But something is happening. Something big. The pure Adhista above ground have lost contact with their brethren and the gates won’t work for them anymore. And, according to what technology they gave, a Swiatwo ship flew over Nevada not too long ago.

A Swiatwo ship that was flown by Pia, a madman by Swiatwo standards. And Swiatwo etiquette involves the eating of the dead, for one. Swiatwo can look human, but in their own form would be grotesque. Too many arms, too thick spine, too many joints in their fingers, prone to walking on all-fours, etc. Even in pretend human form, they “slip up”--they can’t help but move slightly insect like, spidery.

So, your character is one of those drawn to Coldwater. Their powers should be mostly mental stuff--telekinesis, firestarter, see how the earth isn’t quite as “real” as everyone thinks it is, etc.--if they have any. They can be more beautiful than normal or slightly “odd-looking”--as long as it’s not completely fantastic or unrealistic. I’m calling this urban science fiction. It was more likely they were raised poor--that one or more of their Adhista ancestors was more of a predator than anything, because Adhista have a very different culture and such which I might explain briefly in the DT--and may have some defects, because cousins having babies? Somewhat similar to Adhista-human babies. Or worse. Mental problems are as common as mental powers.

You get to decide what happens, basically. I mean, I’ll play Pia, one of those drawn to Coldwater, and most of the aliens as a “push” to keep stuff happening. In the DT I’ll try to explain some about the alien races, more of what I’m going on about with the mask allegory, etc. which will allow you all to have more freedom to, well, make up side characters at will.

Rules:

Don’t kill other people’s characters unless you have a) asked the other player and have come to some sort of agreement and b) asked me. If it makes you feel better, this storybook will involve saving an old race of aliens, protecting the veneer that keeps humans dumb (or not), and dealing with Pia. There will be death! Your bloodlust should be somewhat sated.

Don’t god-mod. Your character has some strengths as an alien-human hybrid, but mostly weaknesses. They aren’t all knowing or all powerful and, after all, that would be boring.

In that sense, don’t make perfect characters. Flaws people. Feel free to make an axe murderer if you feel like. It’s better than Mr. or Ms. Perfect.

This is urban science fiction. So the Adhista have some cool shtick and so does Pia, but the human world? Same. So no jetpacks or whatever. Keep it as real as possible. Think urban fantasy. Magical realism. Whatever.

Try not to spam up the story book. Restrain yourselves. And if you want to post something, make it longer than two paragraphs and with good grammar.

You can have one character. With good behavior, you could have more--say, play a side character. You can ask, but I have full right to deny.

No extensive swearing, sex scenes, or gratuitous violence. There are, like, ten-year-olds floating around the site, guys. Keep it PG-14. This is not an HBO show.

Keep it chill. This is for fun. No haters.

Don’t make this overly romantic. Have relationships, but try to solve the puzzles, make up puzzles for others to solve, have action that isn’t two people swapping spit, etc.

Read what other people post. I’ve set up the world, but anyone who joins gets to help it grow and shift. Don’t change the rules suddenly (without asking me about implementing more outlandish ideas). Try to keep a steady flow of understandable happenings, okay?

All right. I think that’s all covered then. I’ll link to the DT when I have it up. Shouldn’t be too long.

Character Form*:

Name (nothing “crazy”):
Age (12-24):
Sex (M, F, intersex, etc.):
Physical Appearance (photo or paragraph):
Normal Style of Dress:
Other, Physical:
History (paragraph or two, mention when Adhista blood made its way into the bloodline and what that did):
Power(s) (if they have them):
Problem(s) (they should have at least one:
Strengths/Weaknesses:
Ambitions/Motivations:
Likes/Dislikes:
How the Character Would Describe Themselves:
Other:

*You can use your own, but please keep it simple and involve what would be important to his story book.
My SPD senses are tingling.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:26 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

Hi! I meant to comment on this earier but then forgot it was here, sorry. Actually this forum doesn't show up on the 'new posts' or 'posts since last visit' list things. I should really see if I can get that fixed.

Anyway! I like this idea. I'd maybe like a few more hints about where the plot is going but I wouldn't mind joining and on the 'can I write a novel after' front, yes you can.

There'd be no plagiarism issues as long as you put a disclaimer in the post agreeing that anything people add to the plot, they're willing for you to use in a novel. Oh and if you want to use people's characters, you should to put a line or two in about that as well. Strictly speaking, those are just polite precautions since ideas and general characters can't be copyrighted, but it's always best to be double sure.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.
— Rick Riordan, The Heroes of Olympus