z

Young Writers Society

Morally Grey Medieval Fantasy

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat May 26, 2012 8:39 pm
Lothbrok says...

I was contemplating the idea of opening up a storybook but would rather see if there is interest in it first than to put it up and see it flop.

"The Grand Tourney"
For one month every five years the four Kingdoms of the North come together for the games. Hundreds of competitors from every kingdom attend, hoping to win glory, prestige, title and money in the jousting, archery, duels and most importantly the Grand Mêlée. The games are brutal - dozens leave on stretchers, more than a few finding their way to an early grave. However the competitions are not the only games being played. The Tourney is one of the few times when the Kings and nobles of so many nations are gathered in one place. Alliances, trade agreements and less than dubious deals are all made. Blows are struck in centuries old feuds and more than once the coups have been enacted, ending with either a new king sitting on a throne or another foolish noble losing his head. It is a viper's nest of politics the size of which is rarely seen.

You could take any role you want - King, Queen, Prince, Duke, Earl, Count, Baron, Knight or Stableboy - as long as it serves a purpose.

There are still some lore things such as names and semantics to be worked out but would anyone be interested in this?

Edit: A large amount of the characters in this should be anti-heroes if not outright villainous. This is not a high fantasy, more a fantasy equivalent of medieval Europe. Lords and Kings, in the main, will have maintained their position through being ruthless and brutal. The majority of knights and men-at-arms who take part in both the games and intrigues should be killers, not idealists.
Last edited by Lothbrok on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed then destroy any evidence that you ever tried

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun May 27, 2012 6:50 pm
roostangarar says...

It would be good to see a grittier storybook than the idealistic nonsense that's usually posted. I'd certainly go for it.
I hae but ane gallant son, and if he were to follow me in my footsteps, how proud I shall be.

Time isn't a straight line. It's a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff

Reviews: 4
Sun May 27, 2012 7:42 pm
SidereaAquila says...

Me, too. It would be interesting to go into the politics more; a lot of books don't do that.
Skittles: Taste the Spectrum

LIZARD!!!!!

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:49 pm
Caesar says...

I would follow.

However, I have an idea for you. A friendly tip, if you will.

There are now many, many SB's that focus heavily on Hunger-Games style Tournaments, as would yours.

I recommend downplaying the Tournament thing and maybe throwing in some more politics. Maybe a war and stuff. You can start with the Tournament thing, then reveal it masks deeper, darker intentions.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:54 pm
roostangarar says...

II, I believe that's the whole point of the SB.
I hae but ane gallant son, and if he were to follow me in my footsteps, how proud I shall be.

Time isn't a straight line. It's a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff

289 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:00 pm
Caesar says...

In that case, by all means it's an excellent one.

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:49 am
View Likes
Cspr says...

I would join this. I mean, Bog, if another person tries to sell me the idea that Medieval times were somehow "okay" and "magical" I might flip. Just a bit.

So, yeah. If you decide to make it, hit me up.
My SPD senses are tingling.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:28 am
View Likes
Caesar says...

So Loth, any ideas on when you're going to start this up?

5 Reviews

Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:49 am
Lothbrok says...

Well I could push and have it up for the end of today and i'll be away for the weekend so hopefully people would have most of their profiles by the time I got back and then we could start on the Monday or Tuesday.

289 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:19 am
View Likes
Caesar says...

*shrug* do what you think is best.

You mind if I take a look at it before you post it up? I'm fairly good at SBing, I might be able to help. Copy/paste it on a gdoc or something.

5 Reviews

Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:31 pm
Lothbrok says...

The SB is now up. Please join

Poems were like people. Some people you got right off the bat. Some people you just don't get - and never would get.
— Benjamin Alire Saenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe