z

Young Writers Society

Any Medieval Storybooks?

Reviews: 2
Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:25 am
theboss says...

Hi guys, I'm looking for a harsh medieval ish fantasy world comparable to Tolkiens LOTR and Martins ASOIAF.
Are there any like that active atm, as I've not seen them =/

And if their not, are there people willing to join up and make one?

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:58 am
Leahweird says...

I only recently came back from a long hiatus, so I don't know what storybooks are going on right now, but medieval fantasy is my favorite genre. If you want to start something new (or if you find one somewhere) I'm willing to participate. In fact, I was about to ask around myself.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:43 am
theboss says...

Ok cool, I don't know if I should be starting one myself. As I have little experience with rping. But I wouldn't mind trying and if someone want's to hold my hand and walk me trough, seeing to it that I don't do anything stupid. Then that would be cool :P

136 Reviews

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:00 am
Leahweird says...

That actually sounds great. I've been doin storybook roleplaying since I was little, and it can be a lot of fun. An oppurtunity to get someone else involved while simultainiously getting back into the swing of things with something relativly straightforeward is just perfect!
Do you have any ideas for an actual story? I'm open to anything at this point.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:31 am
View Likes
theboss says...

I was hoping for a dark place, a kingdom in chaos and war. Where atleast two, but preferably more parties fight eachother for power.
The most basic ones I can come up with would be the king and his court, current rulers of the lands. We could make them either just or evil. Then there is the Rebels, some outlaw band secretly led by a few rebel lords who seek to claim the throne for themselves. Either to better the kingdom or themselves. And ofcrourse the foreign invaders, a band of savages, knowing nothing of the laws and honor which are so important in these lands.

The main concerns of the first two parties would be, getting and keeping power while pleaseing their Gods and keeping their honor high (or atleast make it seem so.)
That way we could have chivalrous knights, corrupt lords, ambitious smallfolk but also the their oposites. :P

I myself love antihero's, and corrupt lords, etc. So my chars would probably tend into that direction.

136 Reviews

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:16 pm
Leahweird says...

Agreed. I'm a big fan of playing with persections of right and wrong. Hopefully when we get this up and running we can get a few more people in to represent the different factions. I definetly hace some ideas forming.

136 Reviews

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:56 pm
Leahweird says...

Okay, here is a scenario I came up with just from the general outline you gave me. Feel free to pick what you like out of it, or ignore it completly and come up with your own version. It's your call.

Many years ago two sizable kingdoms/dukedoms, from the north and south respectively, began for their own reasons to try to expand their borders. These two are bitter enemies, but between them are several smaller principalities. A leader from one of these form a loose alliance with the rest to keep both the north and south from advancing any fursther. He has recently died howver (assasinated?) leaving only an inexpierienced young heir (possibly a daughter? That could make things interesting). With the kingdom already facing stife within, the jockeying for power that is about to commence cannot be more ill-timed, and while The Alliance still holds for now, loyalties are shifting rapidly.

This outline can be expanded or condensed to suit our needs. For example, how many little kingdoms are in the alliance? What sort of problems does each power structure have? Is there magic or mythical creatures involved?
Also, we could either leave the design of the three major kingdoms (north, south, and the leader of the alliance) up to however plays the ruler, or we could design them ahead of time to be pitted against one another.

How does that sound?

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:40 pm
theboss says...

Sounds good, so the middle was one kingdom strong enough to hold back the other two. But now it fell in disarray and all hell broke lose.
On the magical creatures, I think that we need either no magic or full-blown mythological powers. Eg Gods that care for/harass the place, dragons, fairies, etc. The gods would not be based on Norse and Celtic ones so they all would have their weakness and are mortal, just hard to kill. :P

136 Reviews

Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:33 pm
Leahweird says...

It might be interesting to have one of the attacking powers (we'll have to find better names thatn North and South at some point) be your run of the mill expanding empire with the threat of vast armies, while the threat from the otherside is more metaphysical. A new god aggresivly seeking new converts or something like that.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:25 pm
Shadowlight says...

I just found this and read through your ideas.....

THIS SOUNDS SO COOL!

If you do get this up and running drop me a shout on my wall, I would SO be willing to join up!
(if you're going to make it a SB) XD

~Shady
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss