z

Young Writers Society

The Official Flyer Competition

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:36 pm
View Likes
WritingWolf says...

I have an idea for a flyer, I would like to put a little Knight of the Green Room on it. Unfortunately I'm not very good at actually drawing things like that (I'm better at more abstract things). So I was wondering, the little knight that appears whenever the green room is conquered, could I use him/her in the flyer? If yes, then could someone please link me to the image?
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:33 am
CesareBorgia says...

I'm in, I just have to figure out how to make a poster...
Cesare
Proud Writer of the Week judge

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:19 am
Rosendorn says...

steward wrote:Another question if you don't mind., xD
Can we in any way alter these logos?

@steward Please do not modify the logos. They are part of what makes YWS, well, YWS.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:35 am
steward says...

So we are to make the posters with the logos provided?
"Stay brave." -Steward

1272 Reviews

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:46 am
Rosendorn says...

@steward Yes. That will tie the posters to YWS. It's not completely mandatory to use the logo, but it will (likely) increase your chances of winning.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Reviews: 0
Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:05 am
View Likes
superwholock111 says...

I would like to be in the contest! :o :D :) (:

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:36 pm
View Likes
KaiTheGreater says...

Can we collaborate? I have some ideas, but when it comes to digital design (or whatever this is) I'm completely clueless. Also, how many entries can each person submit? And can someone please give me a few basic start-up tips (like designing sites or whatever)? I love art, and I'd like to give this a try. ^_^
Formerly DragonLily and RoseAndThorn

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:27 pm
OliveDreams says...

Hey @WritingWolf. :) I think that's a great idea! I'll try and dig out that image for you…

Good to have you @CesareBorgia & @superwholock111! :D

@dragonlily - Collaborating is ok with me. You just have to be prepared to share the prizes if you win! Also, I do not mind on the number of submissions. The more the merrier!
@Rosey%20Unicorn may be able to help you on some design tips! My advice is just to give it a go!

Have fun!
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

1272 Reviews

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:19 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Design tips, for everyone. Straight from my first graphic design class ever...

Contrat
When things are different, make them really different! This means putting different categories of fonts together (serif with sans serif, big stuff with little stuff, ect). Basically if stuff is supposed to be different, make sure they cannot be confused for being similar!

Repetition
Repeat design elements as much as possible (but it's best to not repeat the logo/other pictures!). If a font shows up once, then try to use it twice. Use colours in multiple areas. If you add something like a pretty swirl, try to use it at least twice.

Alignment
Have a design element line up with everything. If you draw a straight line in any direction, then there's something it's up against.

Proximity
Group like elements together! Put one type of information in one location, another type of information in another location, and everything that relates to each type near those things.

These spell out a handy acronym for you to remember in the design process, haha

When it comes to how to build the design!

Select a focal point. This can be anything. Have strong contrast between the focal point and anything else in the design.

Group the information together.

Make sure everything aligns with something.

Make sure every design element repeats somewhere, sole exception being the logo/pictures. Fonts, pretty swirls, colours, and blocks, however, are fair game for repeating.

1272 Reviews

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:41 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Oh, I just saw the request for sites/actual stuff to start with.

Here you go, @dragonlily !

Adobe has CS2 for free
Autodesk has free software for students with 36 month licensing
Inkscape. I have heard good things about it.

Out of all of them, I'd probably go with Inkscape because it appears to be a combination of photoshop, illustrator and indesign (Adobe's three main design tools) in an up to date format (CS2 is very, very old) and free with no conditions. Plus, it lets you to digital art on top of layouts!

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:03 am
View Likes
TinyJarStoredDreams says...

Entering!
How the hell are we suppose to look forward to the future if we aren't sure if we will be alive in the next 20 seconds?

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:33 pm
View Likes
Storybraniac says...

I'm in!!!
Our thing progresses
I call and you come through
Blow all my friendships
To sit in hell with you
But we’re the greatest
They’ll hang us in the Louvre
Down the back, but who cares? Still the Louvre.

- Lorde

In my head I do everything right

189 Reviews

Reviews: 189
Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:02 pm
View Likes
manisha says...

Let me try this.
If Novels are a bucket of imagination, Short story is a bucket of imagination made to fit a mug.

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:42 pm
View Likes
rawrafied says...

I'd like to participate. :3

Do we just post the complete flyer(s) here?

347 Reviews

Reviews: 347
Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:00 pm
View Likes
OliveDreams says...

Hi @rawrafied! You can either PM me your entry or post it here! Completely up to you! :) Good Luck!

WELCOME
@TinyJarStoredDreams
@Storybraniac
@manisha

*WAVES*
"There is a dead spot in the night, that coldest, blackest time when the world has forgotten evening and dawn is not yet a promise."

The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing and to watch somebody else doing it wrong, without comment.
— T. H. White