z

Young Writers Society

The Wizard's Tourney (Accepting, Starting)

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:58 pm
Ventomology says...

The Wizard's Tourney is an annual event in Lawrence that attracts everyone who knows anyone. Slaves, aristocrats, and the common people have all won their fair share of victories here in the wharf arena, a majestic place reminiscent of Classic days gone by. Of course, there remains the question: why are you going to compete? And what will you wish from the council, provided you win?

There are only a few rules to the Tourney:
Spoiler! :
You may not kill a fellow competitor.
You must be present at the Wizard's Gala after the preliminary round.
You may bring no magical items with you into the arena.
You may use both your primary and secondary magics.
No one under the age of twelve shall compete.
There is only one winner, so please be of good sportsmanship.

Other aspects we would appreciate your paying attention to:
Spoiler! :
Tradition demands that only males participate, but many women have competed openly. They are very often crowd favorites.
Your primary magic is something you are born with, an innate talent that should come naturally with no necessary tools or procedures. Your secondary magic however, is of a different nature and may involve diagrams, equations, and specific motions. (Common forms are arrays, enchantments, and words of power.)
The Tournament is held in a Renaissance time period. Please speak and dress appropriately.
You may be of any ethnic origin, for Lawrence trades further than the Eastern coasts.
Please provide variety in the backgrounds of our competitors; we cannot all be underdogs or overlords.

Procedure:
Spoiler! :
The Tourney involves a preliminary round which lasts for five days on average. Contestants are given two minutes at maximum to showcase their abilities during this round. The Council members will rank every competitor from best to worst.
After the demonstration round, all competitors are invited to the Wizard's Gala, a mandatory event for those who will compete in the duel rounds. At this point, people after the cut-off for the duel rounds (128th place is the last for duel rounds) have the opportunity to rejoin the competition. If someone higher in rank misses the gala, a lower rank wizard can duel a council member to rejoin. Winning against the council member is not required, you must only pass their evaluation. If no one can pass the council member, then the 129th place will move up to 128th and so on.
After the Gala, duels between competitors are randomly matched and elimination ensues.
The winner may receive one reasonable and attainable wish from the council, and this is the drawing factor.

DT:
Spoiler! :
The duel form will be posted on the DT as soon as I have massed an appropriate number of competitors. Please go ahead and post your preliminary round once I have approved your entry.
Please decide who will win when on the DT. I doubt your fellow competitors will appreciate surprise defeats.
Every person will compete in the duel rounds unless you wish otherwise.
If we should have a darker turn to the Tourney, please share the plot twist on the DT. It will likely be approved.
I promise that I will not win or rig the Tourney.
Whoever wishes to post first may go ahead and do so.

Registration Form:
Spoiler! :
Name (and title if one is of nobility):
Nickname (if it is so desired):
Primary magic:
Secondary magic:
Physical:
History and Circumstances:
Personality:
Wish:

And so I welcome you to the Seventy-eighth Wizard's Tourney. Enjoy yourselves, fulfill your wishes, and show the world how wonderful your magic is.
Last edited by Ventomology on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

9 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 9
Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:30 pm
kat13254 says...

I have made a character and could you make a link to the DT. (I wasn't going to post here but I couldn't find the DT.)
Mew ฅ(⌯͒• ɪ •⌯͒)ฅ❣

557 Reviews

Reviews: 557
Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:38 am
Ventomology says...

Verde stretched her arms and sighed in relief. She wasn’t one to bother with disguises, and the volunteers in charge of sign-up this year weren’t sticklers for the old ways. It was the first day of the Wizard’s Tourney, and the registration line had been enough to turn most away, but not Verde. The entire wharf arena bustled with excitement and chaos as everyone in the entire world gathered for Lawrence’s famous annual Tourney.
“Please come this way,” a volunteer said. He was a slave, definitely on his Tourney break. Law required that school, slaves, and most government work were on hold. By the looks of it, he was the slave of somebody important, which explained why he wasn’t working for money. High prices tended to discourage buying freedom.
Verde followed him eagerly through the kaleidoscope of clothing, rubbing shoulders with the rich people dressed in their fancy breeches and waist and petticoats, and the poor in their rags or occasional un-tucked knee pants all in one place. Simply put, it was exhilarating.
Once out of the main registration room, the hallways were clear. Verde’s heels clicked against the fancy stone tiles that lined the floor, and the volunteer’s buckled shoes did the same. Magically lit candles lined the walls since the underground tunnels of the wharf arena received no natural light.
“Here we are, Miss Viridian Baker,” the volunteer said, gesturing toward a hallway. On the right side, a line of people had formed. They all fidgeted with anticipation, even the older ones, and it was easy to guess why. Grinning madly, Verde jumped at the end of the line and reached into a pocket she’d sewn onto her full skirt. Nice thing about all the folds was that pockets were easy to hide. She tore off the paper surrounding that morning’s fresh dough and kneaded it as the line inched slowly forward, biting off chunks as she moved along.
When at last no one stood in front of her, she quickly finished off her dough and stretched once more, positively jumping with anticipation. “Oh, hurry, hurry, hurry!” she whispered.
The bright brass sound of the end gong rumbled into the underground arena entrance and Verde started up the stairs to the arena center. She just caught the back of whoever was in front of her disappearing down the stairs of the exit before her name was announced and Verde gazed up at the crowds.
“We welcome Miss Viridian Baker to the wharf arena!” the announcer echoed. Crowds screamed. Verde had participated last year and got knocked out in her second duel, but people still remembered the daring brown-haired girl who blew kisses at the boy who beat her.
Smiling broadly, Verde repeated last year’s stunt and blew kisses at the crowd, even winking when she made eye contact with the front row. But after that, it was business. She steadied her racing heartbeat and stood at attention, hands at her sides during the silence before the starting gong.
Then it came. Her feet trembled with the deep bass gong, and her audience froze completely still from the suspense.
Power welled up inside Verde’s stomach and she bent over to help it concentrate further before letting loose and facing upwards again. Her mind was fractured into tiny pieces, each part controlling one of her copies. Over the last few years, she’d learned to vary the sizes of her copies, and now completely in sync, the smallest copies moved towards the center. Then the slightly larger ones, and then the ones her size, and then her giants. Small atop bigger, her copies stacked themselves in a giant pyramid, with Verde disappearing into the center.
Even through her concentration, she could hear the ecstatic cheering of the crowds. Ready for her finale, the pyramid’s formation widened. The smallest copies dropped down, popping into smoke before hitting the ground. From smallest to largest, Verde’s copy-pyramid collapsed inward until all that was left was the quickly dissipating smoke.
Verde raised her arms in a victory pose and put on her most winning smile right as the smoke cleared. The audience spotted her in the cloud and their clapping drowned out the thoughts of relief in Verde’s mind. They loved her.
The end gong’s sound blew through the arena, and Verde confidently strode to the exit stairs, waving at her audience before returning to the tunnels.
"I've got dreams like you--no really!--just much less, touchy-feeley.
They mainly happen somewhere warm and sunny
on an island that I own, tanned and rested and alone
surrounded by enormous piles of money." -Flynn Rider, Tangled

9 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 9
Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:01 pm
kat13254 says...

Scarlet

Why am I here exactly? Well my parents are both astronomers, which is where my primary powers come from. I really didn't want to come to this tournament, but a few weeks ago I broke my parent's best telescope. My punishment: to enter this tournament. My preliminary round is on day two. I am waiting in line to show my powers, which I am planning to fail. When it is finally my turn, which I think is around 3:00. I walk out and first to start off I simply cause a solar eclipse, then follow it by summoning a small star, in the darkness lights up the whole arena(I think it is an arena), finally finish it by bring space to the arena and back again. I prepare to leave expecting to lose and get around 200th place. I smile, falsely I may add, and turn to face the tunnel and leave. (I hope this is good I've been constantly coughing so if there's errors I tried to fix them. :? )
Mew ฅ(⌯͒• ɪ •⌯͒)ฅ❣

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:10 pm
sunwater says...

Kaden Marsh

Kaden get out of his truck and head for a long line until a female with black hair came to me. "Sir it is your turn could you please sign this?" she asked with a smile.

"Yes, where do I sign here" Kaden said as he pointing at the doted line on the bottom of the contract.

"Sir are you not going to read it?"

"No, I know what I'm getting into."

"Ok well sign here" she confirmed "lets get going there waiting for you."

As kaden signed it we walk through a dark hallway that opened up into a arena and he was left alone. Well he looked up he saw lots of people watching him and waiting for him to do something.

“We welcome Kaden Marsh to the wharf arena!”

So he bows and kneels down to start communing with the earth. once he was connected he asked for a oak tree to sprout out of the ground. he felt a surge of green energy flow around him the ground started to tremble under his feet. once the tree started coming out of the ground it shot up to a full size and faned out it branches then leaves appeared to fill out the tree. He bowed as he left the arena all he could hear was the roar of the people and the chainsaw taking down his tree.

"Everything you can imagine is real."
— Pablo Picasso