z

Young Writers Society

The Selection

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:19 pm
View Likes
EllaBliss says...

This Storybook is made from my favorite book, The Selection. Thanks to the author! I am sorry if this is a bad storybook, but this is my first storybook that I created! Yay! If you'd like to be the king or queen, please message me. Also, if you find any wrong information here, tell me.

The Selection info
Spoiler! :
The Selection is a competition between thirty-five girls who compete to marry the prince and become the Queen of Illéa. All females that are single and ages 16–20 are sent an application to fill out and return to the State Providence Offices along with a photo of herself. Participation isn't mandatory, so the girl does not have to fill it out if she so chooses not to. The government says that the girls are picked randomly, but to ensure that an ugly girl isn't picked, they get their picture taken to find the prettiest ones to compete.

Rules of the Selection
Spoiler! :
The contestant cannot leave the palace on her own accord—she can only be dismissed by the prince himself. There is no timeline for the Selection—it can last from days to years. The contestant cannot arrange her times with the prince. If in a large social setting, the rule does not apply. The contestant cannot fight or sabotage other participants. If the contestant is found laying her hands on another contestant, causing her stress, stealing from her, or doing anything that might diminish her personal relationship with the prince, the prince will decide whether to dismiss her or not.
The contestant can only have a romantic relationship with the prince. If caught, it is considered treason and punishable by death. If the contestant is found breaking any of Illéa's written laws, her punishment will be tied to that offense. The contestant cannot eat food or wear any clothes not provided to her by the palace. The contestant must be courteous to photographers, and allow them to see her lifestyle with the prince. For each week the contestant stays at the palace, her family will be compensated. If the contestant is no longer in the Selection, she will have an aide to help her adjust to her new life after the Selection. Her aide will help the contestant find new housing and employment. If the contestant makes it to the top ten, she is considered an Elite, and will be required to learn about particular inner workings of the life and obligations she would have as a princess. Until then, the contestant is not allowed to know any more. The contestant's caste number is automatically raised to a Three, unless she was already one prior to being Selected. If the contestant was already a Two prior to the Selection, her and her family's status will remain the same. If the contestant wins the Selection, she and her family will become Ones and members of the royal family. The contestant will also marry the prince and become the crowned princess of Illéa, taking on all the rights and responsibilities of the title. The contestant must be a virgin. If the prince invites the contestant to do something with him, she cannot refuse—regardless if it's dinner, outings, kissing, and even more than kissing.

Castes
Spoiler! :
1 - Royalty and Religious Figures. A position of power and respect.

2 - Celebrities; athletes, singers, actors, actresses, musicians, models, politicians, police officers, firefighters, guards, and military members.

3 - Great Minds; inventors, teachers, philosophers, scientists, doctors, veterinarians, dentists, architects, librarians, engineers, therapists, psychologists, film directors, music producers, lawyers, and writers. Girls that were part of The Selection but did not win are also part of this caste, unless they are a natural Two or already a Three.

4 - Businessmen; jewelers, real estate agents, insurance brokers, head chefs, construction managers, property & business owners, and farmers.

5 - Artists; stage actors, classical musicians, singers, dancers, and circus performers.

6 - Workers; secretaries, waiters, waitresses, housekeepers, seamstresses, store clerks, cooks, and drivers. The servants at the palace are Sixes.

7 - Manual Laborers; including gardeners, construction workers, farm hands, gutter & pool cleaners, trash collectors, ditch diggers, and movers.

8 - Untouchables; mentally & physically unwell people, addicts, runaways, and the homeless.

Provinces
Spoiler! :
Allens

Angeles

Atlin

Baffin

Bankston

Belcourt

Bonita

Calgary

Carolina

Clermont

Columbia

Dakota

Denbeigh

Dominica

Fennley

Hansport

Honduragua

Kent

Labrador

Lakedon

Midston

Ottaro

Paloma

Panama

Sonage

Sota

St. George

Sumner

Tammins

Waverly

Whites

Yukon

Zuni

The Selection Form
Spoiler! :
Name:
Caste:
Province:
Weight:
Hair Color:
Eye Color:
Languages:
Talents:

The Rebels
Spoiler! :
The rebels are divided into two groups: Northern and Southern rebels. Rebel attacks on the palace are not an uncommon occurrence. Northerners are known to attack much more frequently than the Southern rebels. However, they are far less likely to break in and, when they do, not much damage is caused. No one is exactly sure what the Northerners' true intentions are, so they're a bit of a mystery to everyone. Most people think they just like to be a pain in the royal behind. Unlike the Northern rebels, the Southerners' attacks are much more lethal, but only come now and then—usually about once or twice a year. People always die when they come.
Last edited by EllaBliss on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oh, I'm such a fool! I can't be free!
No escape from the storm inside of me!
I can’t control the curse!
Please, you’ll only make it worse!
There’s so much fear! You’re not safe here!

17 Reviews

Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:38 am
View Likes
EllaBliss says...

Majesty

I hold my head high, as I walk calmly down the red carpet to the airplane, stopping many times along the way to take pictures with fans and sign autographs. On the last person, I look down at my watch. It's time I'm supposed to be in the plane!
"I know the plane won't leave without me, but I don't want to keep them waiting," I say with a cheerful yet dignified tone. "Goodbye," I affirm before promenading into the airplane. I look around, examining my rivals. They look friendly.

I take my seat. It probably will be safe to become friends with the rivals. I can sabotage a girl from her inner circle. Then again, another girl could be planning to do the same thing to me. Maybe I can gather up my own inner circle of friends and use them to sabotage other friend circles, while sabotaging the people in my circle from within. It will be a good way to exercise my ability to command a large amount of people. I am going to be queen, of course! I mean, I might become queen.

I actually do recognize some of the girls from television. Nikola Frey, seven; She was a palace gardener. Reina Kinlan, three. Ariel Morelle, six. Eveleen Tate, two; Actress. And finally, Basil Barie, four. I consider them my top rivals, but soon I may consider them my inner circle. My rivals are on my top sabotage list, and I know how to use power. Another quality that would do well on my case if I were to be queen.

Our plane finally starts to fly. I look out the window, seeing the ground get farther away. I look to Eveleen Tate, who is beside me. I start talking right away.
"Hello! I'm Majesty."
Last edited by EllaBliss on Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:16 am
View Likes
TickSeed says...

Reina

I can feel myself begin to bite the inside of my cheek, a bit of a tick brought on when frustrated. While waiting for the other girls to finish sauntering down the red carpet, I had decided to start on a new jewelry making project. Something to keep me grounded during the competition. Although, maybe it would have been better to wait until I had access to adequate tools. Oh well. Go with the flow.

I paused for a minute, both to give my aching fingers a break, and to take a look around. To be honest, being a Princess was never the goal. Entering the selection is mostly just a family tradition. Making connections with prominent figures and access to sensitive matters regarding the government? That’s the prize.

What I had spent my life trying to be was not princess, but royal advisor. Although, Princess Reina wouldn’t necessarily be an unwelcome turn of events. Marrying a stranger she wasn’t particularly interested in was a different story.

My eyes scanned seats for people of interest. They paused on the two power houses sitting across the aisle from me: Eveleen Tate, famous actress was on the far side. Directly across from her was Majesty Rubyton, daughter of a former Palace guard who was still prominent in the political spectrum.

Yes, I thought to myself, it’s never too early to make connections. Especially if one of them ends up princess, I reasoned with myself. Being on good terms with the future queen would make it that much easier to become royal advisor. Now, to go to them, or let them come to me?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:53 am
View Likes
Alvarin says...

Eveleen Tate
I wanted to meet the prince, and I wanted to do it now. The whole wait felt like a waste of time, even though I knew it wasn't. I should be using that time to get closer to the other girls. If I could make them like me it'd make it easier for me in the competition. If I could make them trust me.. Well, there wouldn't be much of a competition then, would it?

The whole day I had made sure to wear a sweet, but slightly nervous smile, something that most people found appealing. I'd been kind to everyone who greeted me, signed autographs for fans and generally acted like the humble, innocent and talented girl that Art had created as my image. Just thinking of his name made the hate once more grab a hold of my chest and burn like a hot iron, but I let none of that show in my face or in my eyes. He was a perverted bastard, but what he had created for me could only be described as art, and a masterpiece at that. Giving me roles that made me seem like an angel, raising money for charity in my name, making sure the paparazzi were looking when I helped the homeless.. It was all his work, and it was what I would use to get my revenge on him. I'd throw it all back in his face and watch him fall. But for that I need to be the queen, I reminded myself, and that's why I'm here.

"Hello! I'm Majesty." I was almost a bit startled by the sudden greeting, and I laughed nervously at my own reaction. Peculiar name, but she was friendly enough, and I should be making friends.

I smiled, making myself seem relieved that someone was talking to me, and held out a hand for an awkward handshake. "I'm Eveleen, but you can call me Eve. It's nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you too," she said with the same cheery voice and friendly smile. "I've seen some of your movies."

Good, that'll help. "Oh, you have?" I said, faking surprise. Being humble was an important part of my image. "I'm glad to hear that. I really hoped you found it worth your time." When she politely confirmed that it had been I let my smile widen a bit, not looking proud, only grateful. "I've heard about you as well, Majesty. I hope we'll be able to get along.. Even if this is a competition."

A girl was watching us curiously. Very pretty, but so was I. So were all of us. After all, this competition was more of a beauty contest that anything else, and since we had all qualified when it came to our looks, that didn't really matter anymore. For once I would have to rely purely on my skills as an actress, and not my beauty. I smiled a little at her, giving a wave that seemed a bit awkward and then gestured for her to come over and sit with the two of us. This was good. Two girls at once, and neither of them seemed to have anything against me, and I wouldn't give them a reason to.

"Hi," I said with a friendly, yet slightly withdrawn voice. Most people found it easier to trust someone who was a bit timid, so Art had made sure to tell me to act like that whenever I was making a public appearance. It was a role that I had perfected through the years. "I'm Eveleen.. But you could call me Eve," I repeated. "You're Reina, right?" I paused a bit, waiting for her to nod. When she did I continued. "Are you nervous? I didn't think I would be, but I can't help it." I made sure my actions matched my words, the hands in my lap for most of the time, but sometimes showing hints of my nerves by fixing my hair when it wasn't necessary, or adjusting my dress a bit, and my eyes only meeting hers for short moments before seeming distracted.
Last edited by Alvarin on Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:14 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

Claude
Prince of Illéa | His rooms

“This one looks cute.”
I looked up over my notebook, raising my eyebrow at Lance as he turned the picture to me. The girl on it was blonde, and I vaguely remembered her name having the letter A in there somewhere.
“Put that back and be still.” I turned my attention to the notebook again, frowning at the drawing. “That’s not a simple pose you’re sitting in, you know.”
He seemed to be stopping himself from rolling his eyes. “I can’t keep the same position for three hours.” He glanced at the pile of pictures on the table again, taken out of the album. “Speaking of amazing models, shouldn’t your ladies arrive any moment?”
“Mm.”
“Then shouldn’t you look..” His eyes skimmed over my appearance. “A tad more presentable?” I glared at him flatly. “..my Prince?”

I looked around, my eyes passing over the books and papers before stopping at the suit lay over the bed, the tie right next to it, and sighed. Why does it even matter how presentable I look? They are the ones who are to be judged, not myself. I got up as Lance gave me a pointed glare, buttoned up my shirt properly and put on the suit with a grim expression. The entire court - the entire country - has been in that ridiculously euphoric mood for a few months now already; ever since I’d agreed to hold the selection, regardless of my lack of desire for commitment of the sort. Father did say you can make it a game, though. I smiled a bit to myself, absentmindedly fixing the tie as Lance put it around my neck. It was an amusing thought, and I would be lying to say I wasn’t in the least excited - but nonetheless, I couldn’t look at all the decorations and rehearsals going on around me with anything but skepticism.

We both turned as the door opened, letting in my mother, in her dress in shades of green and with a learned smile playing on her lips. Lance bowed as I grinned to her, suddenly glad I did get properly dressed in time.
“Mother! How nice of you to come to visit me, I wanted to show you that--”
“They will land in a few minutes, Cy,” she cut, looking at me expectantly. “Have you memorised their names?”
“Of course.” Sort of. Is it bad I don’t exactly relate those names to their faces?

My mother looked relieved. “Come on, then, you’re the last person who should be late.”
“What ever happened with fashionably late?” Lance muttered as he followed me out of the room, and I smirked.
“There’ll be enough time for me to go back to my room and draw you twice again before coming back, in between of their plane landing and me actually meeting any of them,” I said, stopping for a minute as we reached the end of the corridor. We were to part there - he was my best friend, but he was my tutor’s son and not a royal, and I was supposed to face an army of young women all by myself. “Well then, I do hope we all get out of this alive.”
“Good luck,” he muttered before turning a corner. I shook my head. I was the prince - I didn’t need luck. They.. they maybe needed it, somewhat. But they’re wrong if they think luck and beauty will be all it will take. I smiled to myself as I stood between my parents to wait. The red carpet lead from the gate to the front door, where from we’d take them to the dining halls, and I changed that smile of mine into a somewhat more charming one as I heard the crowd cheering.

Welcome to the game.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

7 Reviews

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:43 am
View Likes
TickSeed says...

Reina

Apparently, I’d be letting them come to me. I exchanged greetings with Eve, but after a few more sentences I couldn’t help but laugh. The girl was calculating and absolutely brilliant, a world class actress for sure. Eve looked understandably puzzled by my reaction, so I leaned closer to her with a smile on my face.

“You glance away from me exactly every twelve seconds, your posture suggests you’re shy, yet your eyes are brimming with confidence. In your line of work, girls can afford to be charitable, but they sure as hell can’t afford to be unconfident. The only flaw in the act is that it’s too perfect.” I drew back a little still smiling, and continued. “While I’m flattered that you thought I was big enough competition to approach me with a wonderful presentation, I wouldn’t worry. Princess isn’t the title I’m after.”

Eve looked at me curiously, before we were both distracted by the announcement that we would be landing soon. I turned back to her and extended my hand.

“Alliance?”

30 Reviews

Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:25 am
View Likes
Alvarin says...

Eveleen Tate
I felt like cursing, but kept the exact expression as before, thanking my lucky star that the girl at least was sensible enough to keep her voice low, so that no one else would hear what she said. I didn't quite believe her when she said that she was not after the title, but I wasn't about to tell her that. Instead I took her hand and shook it once, glancing briefly at Majesty who looked at us both with a mix of curiosity and suspicion.

"Of course," I said with a slight smile. "You seem very bright, but there's one thing you're wrong about. Most actresses and actors are actually quite shy in real life. Our roles lets us put that aside for a moment, which is the reason why so many who are a bit shy choose to act."

I leaned back and let Majesty and Reina talk in peace, while I simply watched their conversation and said a few words when I needed to. She might've caught on to me because I had underestimated her, but I was not going to make that mistake again. From now on I would be completely in character.

As the plane landed I payed attention to the other participants, once again confirming that my beauty was a too common thing to be used among them. My fame could impress some, but I doubted that'd work on the prince.. But then again, it didn't really matter. Art had taught me plenty of other tricks that I could use to tease the prince with.

When we got out of the plane we were met by a crowd who were all cheering. It became quite vivid which girls were used to it, and who were not. I smiled instinctively when I heard them, knowing that I must always show my gratitude to the fans.. Even though all of these people weren't actually my fans.

It was easy enough to locate the royal family, separated by the crowd by fences and bodyguards. He was handsome enough, I'd give him that, and the smile he was wearing was charming, though I doubted it was sincere. I had heard rumors about him, most of them from Art, and my greatest challenge so far was to determine whether I would keep up the act of the charming actress in private with him, or if he would find me more interesting if I revealed who I really was.. It was too early to make that decision now though. It'd have to wait until I got to know him better. For now I just followed the example of the others, lining up and waiting to be told what to do while watching the prince, trying to attract his gaze.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

17 Reviews

Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:37 pm
View Likes
EllaBliss says...

Majesty

I smile as I exit the plane, landing my gleaming eyes on Prince Claude and his family. I don't want to seem obsessed with him though, as I'm not, so instead I become focused on the doors. I know what is on the other side of them: The Women's Room, the room where the ladies in the castle entertain themselves on their spare time. Of course, it is different today. There will be mirrors and shelves holding makeup, nail polish, body lotion, and many other beauty products. Finally, I am in the castle. A makeover crew comes over to me, looking exited that they got to give me a makeover.

"Hello," one of them chirp happily.
"Hello, I'm Majesty," I proclaim. "Are you my makeover crew?"
"Yes! Station A is free, lucky you! This way.."
"Alright," I say as I follow them to Station A. When we get there, I sit down in a chair next to a sink full of water. I know it is for washing hair, as there were rooms like this back home. I lay my head backwards into the warm water, waiting for my crew to come back to wash my hair. I close my eyes.

"What shampoo brand would you like us to use," ask one of them to me.
"Only the best," I smile, showing off my pearly whites.
"Alright, milady," say my crew. They start softly scrubbing my hair with shampoos, conditioners, and other hair products. I lift my head, tipping it forward as they softly comb my hair while blow-drying it, resulting in my hair becoming very bouncy and voluminous. They move me over to the mirror so they can style my hair.

"Just brushed please," I beam as I sit down in the chair.
"Yes, milady," says the stylist. She brushes my hair softly, my hair becoming immaculately brushed, with no knots in it whatsoever. My hair is done.
"Light purple eyeshadow, sparkly gold eyeliner," I say, getting bored by the minute. "Don't bring too much attention to my eyes though. Also add in a bronzer, and try to emphasize my lips. What I'm saying is, bring out my best features."
"Yes milady," Says the stylist again and she gets to work.

Hours later, we finish the makeover process and I go over to my private dress rack, full of dresses that my maids personally made for me. I look through the rack, seeing a dress that catches my eyes. It's an unique color, kind of pink, but when I turn around, it shimmers red. The dress has a golden trim. I look around. There is none of this color on any other rack. I call it Cranberry Red. I hold out the dress.
"Go for it," the stylists say, beaming at me as I step into the dressing room. I put it on and head over to the photo shoot area, beautiful as ever. I will be elite.

They sit me down, telling me to stay still while they take the picture. I smile, showing off my pearly whites. They blow a blow dryer at me, making my hair flow like there is a nice little summer breeze. My eyes gleam as the light on the camera flashes, and the picture is taken. I see the photo as they put it in the folder:
Spoiler! :

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:43 pm
Auxiira says...

Nikola Frey

"I won't do it! I'm not sucking up to the prince for you!" My voice shot through two octaves as I threw the invitation to the floor.
"Nikola, please, calm down. It's for the best." His voice tried to be soothing, but it wasn't a tone he was used to. He picked up the letter and straightened it out as I continued in the shriek that even I hated.
"Oh yes, Dad, it's not like I'm not throwing my whole life away fo-"

The daydream was cut off with a start as the plane landed. I ran my fingers through my hair which I was sure hadn't been this tangled when I had got into the plane and glanced around once again. There were three heads together that caught my attention and I stared at them until I recognised them. Kinlan, Tate and Rubyton. Now what were they doing together? Knowing this competition, using each other already.
I glanced at the empty seat next to me. Of course they had put the girl in the lowest caste by herself. It wasn't as if I really cared. I wasn't going to go to them and fawn over them as they probably expected me to, and I didn't mind much if anyone came over to me. My low caste would be a benefit to me here. They would underestimate me, I was more or less sure of that.

I watched the crowd cheering us down the red carpet, wondering how they found this interesting, letting a distracted smile float on my lips. My gaze slid over the Prince, only taking in the smile that was most probably fake. It was basically the first rule of this. Be fake, please everyone. Which was impossible. No one person could please everyone.

I entered the castle behind almost everyone, glancing around the room and the mirrors and the lights before settling on the group of people staring at me. Oh no. "Please, just... natural," I instructed hesitantly before being fluffed up under their hands. I could feel my hair being curled and plaited, a light dusting of makeup being applied. I opened my eyes to glance in the mirror and sighed. It still looked like me. Going over to the rack, a forest green dress with a gauze skirt caught my eye. I frowned slightly, then took it off and zipped it up, forcing myself to at least look content through the photo shoot.

I stood up with a sigh, going to join the growing group of girl who all looked prettier than the next. I didn't even want to be here.

Spoiler! :
Sorry if this seems a bit rushed. I was a bit brain dead when I wrote it >.>
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

7 Reviews

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:30 pm
TickSeed says...

Reina

After being goaded out of the plan by attendants, I can’t help but feel like a cow being hearded about. Like a ranch for peacocks, I and the other girls were supposed to be strutting down the red carpet for the masses. I’m not dumb of course, so I smile and wave like the rest, but I keep my eyes scanning.

A lot of the girls look like they’re about to break their necks trying to catch the Prince’s eye. I turn, picking out politicians and other notables. Eventually my gaze falls on the King, Queen, and Prince. The Prince appears to glance my way very briefly, but he could have been looking at any one of us really.

I enter the building, and am immediately assaulted by a colorful group. My stylists. I will admit, I did get excited when I realized I’d get to be dressed up everyday. What can I say? My love for Fashion equals my love for politics.

I go to my closet and choose a strawberry red garment. Color psychology. I think to myself. People who wear red are seen as more attractive. Even better, in competition settings, contestants who wear red win more often. Also, I just like red.

My stylist pins my hair with an elaborate metal ornament. I’m going over how I could make something similar at home, when I’m shoved into another room. Lights and the sound of cameras fill the room. It becomes clear who is and who isn’t used to this sort of thing. Majesty is out there working the camera like a champ. The lower caste girls seem lost. Of the group, a redhead in green sticks out the most.

I move to stand beside her, but stay silent. Definitely a loner type. I think, glancing at her briefly.Maybe more of a fox than a wolf. I hear my name called, and move to a camera station. I am one of those who is definitely not used to this sort of thing, so I just let my photographer direct me.I glance at my picture quickly before moving back to the redheaded girl.

Spoiler! :

Moving to the same spot beside her, I raise my hand to introduce myself.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:46 pm
Sunshine says...

Basil Barie I Four

"Basil?"

I swing our arms between the two of us, my sister and I. "Rue?"

"Why are you doing this stupid competition, anyway? It's stupid! Sexist! It takes you away from the things that really matter!"

Oh-oh. Rue is only ten, but speaks her mind beyond its capabilities. "Like you?" I sighed, leaning down to speak to her face-to-face while the rest of our family of six catches up. I feel the warmth of the jeans against my leg; I will not have them much longer. "This is my adventure, my chance to make something memorable of my life. This is my chance to literally become anything!"

Rue blinks tears through her hazel eyes. "I guess that makes sense! I just..."

I hug her before she has to say anything else, and she hugs me back. My heart hurts with the thought. I want this chance, I do; but this is goodbye, for who knows how long. The hug is long and thoughtful, interrupted by the impatient wail of baby Hawthorn.

I get off the ground, dusting off my fancy jeans before my mother can send me a disapproving look.

Little Rowan, only six, takes my other hand, pulling me along. "C'mon! We need to get to the airport!" His too-long black curls bounce around his face as he tugs. "You don't want to be late."

Rowan is excited where Rue is upset. "Go, along, captain!"

Annoyed, Rue drops my hand. My mother begins singing, holding Hawthorn tight in her arms. "Our Basil is going off, we're off to see our Basil go! She's boarding a train, will wave good-bye! We're off to see our Basil go!"

I'm going to miss them.

A lot.

I have to keep telling myself that until it becomes true.

The plane ride is boring. I sit next to a particularly uninteresting (albeit, pretty, but I suppose they all are) competitor by the name of Liselotte. I had my fingers crossed on hearing her name, hoping we could talk German to each other, but no such luck.

I get off the plane, and try not to be star-struck.

I'm a four, but on the rough lower end of it. My father is a farmer, and could provide us a 'middle-class' living and an education, but finery's were just that; something fine, a thing to slip through the fingers, an occasion.

The place is beautiful, but I can hardly see it through the crowds and cameras. We are ushered through into the doors, where I'm separated from the group by a vibrant, faint blonde.

She pulls my arm as harshly as Rowan did, her only words are that of explanation. "Prep team."

She throws me down into a rather uncomfortable chair, where a ginger and another blonde begin to knit themselves over me.

The first blonde begins washing my hair, pulling through the knots as though I hadn't washed it this morning. The other two girls, who can barely be much older than myself, begin to fawn over me.

The ginger begins painting my nails a shade I can't see. "Look at her eyes!" One of them says, perhaps the second blonde. "Blue and brown; so very pretty!"

The first blonde wraps a towel around my sopping hair, looking at my face. "Yes, actually! Vivienne, get the sparkling eyeshadow. Marie, the mascara."

It seems as though it takes forever, but they have my hair curled, nails painted, eyes beautified by the head of a half-an-hour. The ginger, taking charge, grabs me by the hand and leads me to a room, where a dresses hanging.

I'm not a dress person, but the dress is beautiful.

I've never really owned a dress that fancy. It's so green, the color of the forests back home. It's short- only to the knees- but still full; if I could guess, they're playing off the cutesy effect.

The ginger helps it on, and the blonde snaps another picture.

I can't help it; I feel pretty.
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

17 Reviews

Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:29 pm
EllaBliss says...

Majesty

When the rest of the ladies are done having their makeover, the instructor leads us out of The Women's Room and down the hallway. She stops at a glass door that looks like it has a garden on the other side. There are two guards on each side of the door.
"This is the garden," says the instructor. "You can only go outside with permission."
"Hello, madam," says a guard to the instructor. He tips his hat politely, and she nods back to him. We keep walking down the hallway until we get to the stairs, where we go upstairs and down the second floor hallway, where our rooms are.
"Third floor and above is off-limits, ladies," says the instructor. We all nod and continue down the hallway, our numbers lowering as we reach ladies' bedrooms. My room is at the very end of the hallway. Very useful, as I now know where everyone's room is. As I enter my room, I inspect every detail. The cabinet is engraved with a daisy on the side. The curtains are partially transparent and match the floor and walls, as all are colored yellow. The floor and walls are the same shade of yellow. There is a yellow four-post bed that has heavy drapes, meant to block out all light. Wonderful.
"Hello, Lady Majesty," chirp my maids. They all look identical to eachother. Same silky blonde hair tied in pigtails, same knee-short maid dresses, same blue eyes.
"Hello," I smile.
"We're your maids!"
"Your names are?"
"Annie-Belle, Abbie-Gaile, and Jolie-Sage," say my maids. "We're sisters," They quickly say before they refresh my makeup and happily send me off to my first dinner at the lovely royal palace.

30 Reviews

Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:08 pm
View Likes
Alvarin says...

Eveleen Tate
I kindly asked my stylists to take it easy with the makeup. All I needed was some fine pale powder to match my complexion, red lipstick and mascara. It was the look I usually went with when off the set, and together with the soft waves they put in my hair, and the cold light blue dress I picked it worked perfectly. Stand out more by standing out less. Another advice from Art that I would never be able to forget, no matter how much I wanted to. The bastard was in my head, like a maggot eating through my brain.. I could almost hear him. But I will destroy him.

The photo-shoot went well, since I was used to them by now, and as we were led through the hallways to our rooms I couldn't help but smile - sincerely this time. If I played my cards right, and had just enough luck, I'd get to walk these halls every day. The lords and the ladies would be looked down upon by a former sewer rat.. Wouldn't that be something?

I forced myself to pay attention to the people around me again, rather than the architecture, smiling shyly whenever someone met my eyes and making sure to take note of anyone that looked like they might pose some serious competition.. And it was quite a lot of them. I'll really need that little extra amount of luck here.

I was shown to my room, and as I stepped inside I hoped that I'd get to be alone for a moment, but instead I was more or less attacked by two maids before I had even gotten to close the door behind me. I gently asked them if they could leave me alone for a minute, as all the stress was getting to me, and they scurried out as quickly as they could. When they had left I sat down on the bed with a sigh, closing my eyes and letting myself relax for a moment. If I didn't win this, then what? I'd be back in Art's hands, and this time he'd have no reason to try to teach me anything, or fake any type of kindness. I had my own career now, independent of his, but that didn't help much. As it was now he could easily bring me down simply by telling the press who I was.. If I were the princess, or better yet, the queen, people wouldn't believe him as easily.. And I would've torn his image and reputation apart by then. If I win.. Only if I win.

I opened my eyes again, looking around in the big airy room, appreciating the light colours. I had never been much of a fan of small and dark spaces, and this was the complete opposite. I like it here.. I don't want to leave. The sudden knock on the door startled me, but I quickly composed myself.

"Please, come in."

Spoiler! :
It could be anyone really.. Anyone who wants to socialize, maybe? xD
― Thomas Harris

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:42 pm
kayfortnight says...

Muna

I knew all the information about how the selection would proceed. The flights were staggered so the crowds at the palace weren't overrun by a rush of girls all at once, and my flight was the final one. I wasn't worried about the other girls getting a foothold with the prince before I arrived-far from it. Rather, I just wished I didn't have to spend the waiting time with my parents and Kayah, my older sister.

My parents were clueless, but they meant well. Really, it was Kayah I worried about. She pulled me aside and whispered, "You took this from me. It should have been me going. Well, you'll go and you'll win, and then you'll give him up to me. If you do anything else, I swear I'll kill you." Her face twists into a cruel smile. "No. Worse. I'll kill Hania."

I was mostly ignoring her before, but at that I stared up at her disbelievingly. "You wouldn't." But I can tell from the look in her eyes she would.

When the limo arrives that will take me to the airport, I run to my eight-year-old younger brother, Hania, and give him a hug. "Be brave, my little spirit warrior, and if Kayah so much as touches you, tell Mom and Dad."

But I know in my heart they won't be able to do much. They couldn't last time, after all...
~*~
The plane ride was uneventful, and I stayed distant from the other girls. Kayah had always ruined any friendships I tried to have with her threats-I wasn't sure how to have a normal, healthy one. So I sat in the back of the plane and stared out the window most of the ride, trying to be as unobtrusive as possible.
~*~
The makeover was...interesting. I thought about copying another girl's lead and begging for the natural look-I hate the feel of makeup-but then I remembered Hania was at Kayah's mercy back home, and she wanted me to try my hardest to get the prince. Still wasn't sure how she planned to get him if I got him, but at least if I got him Hania would be safe.

So I sat back and let the makeup artists do their work, and when they finished, they held a mirror up in front of me. I gasped aloud, causing another of the girls to giggle. But I didn't care. I looked like a goddess.
~*~
At the dinner, I found a seat between two friendly-looking girls and hesitantly introduced myself. "Hello, I'm Muna. Who are you?"

Spoiler! :
Sorry if my post was long, had to catch her up to everyone else. Also, the "two friendly-looking girls" is open to anyone (except obviously the prince).
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:16 pm
Sunshine says...

Basil Barie

My makeover team shuffles me into a room in the middle of a long hallway full of people, girls being pulled in and out of white doors.

The blonde one, the mean one who is in charge, points out a few things before telling me, "Don't get to comfy, though. The first rounds of elimination are after Dinner. Your maid staff should be here soon."

They all exit. There seems to be far too much leaving and going in this place. I sit down on the bed feeling the luxury of the silky sheets. The room beautiful; pristine and white, cozy enough, with large flowing curtains. I am sure they all look the same.

The maid staff enters. They wear all blue dresses and I manage to feel bad for them. They look at this wealth all day, but cannot take part in it.

"I'm Violet." One of them, with long, beautiful dark hair, says. "This is Daisy and Rose."

I lean back on my bed. "Well, someone thought they were clever." I shoot back up. "It's nice to meet you, though. I'm Basil, and I suppose our names match."

"Yes ma'am," the blonde, Daisy, says. "They wanted to give you an early bouquet."

Rose makes a subtle movement, like cuffing Daisy over the ear. I laugh. "I like it. Though, there isn't really anything to clean right now..."

"No ma'am." This is Rose. "You may go to the Dinner Hall and wait, if you'd like. This is a mere introduction, or asking of preferences."

"Is there conditioner in the bathroom?"

"Yes ma'am."

I spring off the bed. "Perfectly happy then, thank you."

I move past them, going into the hallway. The place has cleared out, and a few girls are wandering in a direction from which the faint small of food was coming. I move to follow them until I see the name Eveleen Tate, two, Denbeigh stenciled across the door.

I sigh. It's better now than never. I move to the door and knock politely.

"Please, come in."

I open the door, trying to think of what to say.

Eveleen Tate is every bit as pretty as she appears on screen, and my sister will be pleased as punch to know that.

"Hi. I'm Basil. I feel a bit rude barging in on you like this, but I have a bit of a favor to ask. My sister is a really big fan of your movies, and when she saw that you were participating in The Selection, she asked me to get your autograph." The words come on in a bit of a rush.

Eveleen Tate smiles, reaching over and grabbing a piece of paper from the desk. "What's her name?"

"Rue."

Eveleen scribbles a few words on the paper, and hands in back to me. I'm not sure where to put it, so I keep it clenched in my hand. If make it to the future, I'll have to ask for dresses with pockets.

"Thank you. You're one of Rue's role models, so I know this will mean a lot to her. "

"I don't mind, really." She gets off the bed. "Would you like to head to Dinner with me?"

I smile. "Yes, of course."
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

grammar is hard and i dislike it immensely
— Icon