z

Young Writers Society

The Selection

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:14 am
EllaBliss says...

Majesty
I finish dancing with the prince, give a polite curtsy, and make my way over to a corner.
"Hello, My name is May," I say to the other girl in the corner.
"Uh, hi, my name is Scarlet. Well I should be going," she replies.
"Why are you leaving," I ask her politely.
"Uh, well... Good night."
"I asked you a question. May you please answer?"
"Well... Um... Just because."
"I'm waiting for a proper answer"
"Um... Well... Umm... You see... Um..."
"I'm waiting. Any moment now..."
"You see... I just really need to go."
"You don't really need to. See, while were here every day is free-time."
"Um... This dress is just really uncomfortable"
"While we're here you have to suck it up, unless you get permission to wear pants."
"Well, um... I just.."
"You just what?"
"I just have to go you see!"
"Why do you have to go?"
"Can't someone have a little freedom without a stupid wanna-be princess asking what she's doing every second of every day," she yells, obviously annoyed.
"Who are you calling a wannabe?"
"I don't even want to be here!" She angrily yells again.
"And you're pointing it out at a ball where everyone can here you?"
"Isn't that sort of obvious?"
"Not really. Some girls are just nervous. I assumed that's what you were."
"Why are you even talking to me? I'm the weird blue haired model that no one likes!"
"Because I know how you feel."
"Well how do you know how I feel?"
"Because I was in the same situation all my life."
"Oh, so you were the laughing stock of models because of your blue hair!"
"Not exactly, but I know what it feels like to be laughed at," I sigh, looking away.
"Oh, how?"
"It's not easy looking perfect. If you thought, I know you'd say it's the very opposite situation. But, having a pretty face makes you the centre of all bully's attention. Oh mah gosh, you're underweight! Oh mah gosh, what did you do to get a face that plastic? Ugh!"
"Have a model as a mother who never liked her daughter and tried to make you perfect!"
"I did! I've been training all my life to be a model and she still says I'm imperfect!"
"Who your mother or mine because what your decribing sounds like my mother!""
"Maybe we aren't so different then"
"Oh, don't think I dont know your real name is Claire."
"It's not. That's my middle name.."
"Oh, well," she replies, smiling a cruel smile.
"Maybe this is why you're not a crowd favorite!"
"Well. It doesn't matter. I'm mad at you!"
"It doesn't matter what all the haters think. I just hold my head high and keep walking."
"Well, it's hard to do that when your mother doesn't like you and you don't have a father or siblings," she yells. This girl yells a lot. And I thought she was antisocial!
"I know it's hard! I know! I know what it feels like! Stop complaining, because nobody but me will care. All I'm trying to do is help but I'm just making it worse!"
"Yeah well now go run off and try to be the princess wanna-be!"
"I'm not a wannabe. And you're not as bad as people think you are."
"Just me be in peace in my little corner, please and thank you."
"I want to be friends. Can't you do such a simple thing as that?"
"Sure, lets be besties." she says in a sarcastic tone.
"Don't be sarcastic with me."
"Oh well I think I just did."
"Maybe you did. And maybe I don't really care."
"Well good for you!"
"And ESPECIALLY good for YOU!"
"Just leave me alone in my corner." she says boredly.
"Since when did you own this part of the castle?"
"Well, you know what I mean!"
"Maybe I do. And maybe I don't care."
"Well ok. Bye, now can you leave me." she sighs, obviously bored out of her mind.
"What if I don't want to? You can't force me to go away."
"Good for you. You cant keep fighting all you want."
"Since when did I say I was fighting?"
"Good for you."
"And especially good for you!"
"Okay, look, your comebacks are just annoying now."
"That's the point! Yours are just as rotten!"
"Ok look I would rather talk with the stu.. prince right now."
"You almost called him stupid."
"Okay are you gonna run and tell him to get me kicked out? If you do, great."
"Well, it would get one more girl out of my way"
"Ok go tell him. Do you think I care?"
"Probably not, but think of what your mother will say!"
"I would probaly run away."
"And then you'd be in caste eight. Homeless, starving, and broke."
"Well thats nice."
"Indeed it is! Imagine you crouching on the curb!"
"Well thats nice. I think I'm going to bed i'm quite tired."
"Not yet. The ball isn't even done."
"Well then I'm just going to ignore you."
"What makes you think I'll let you do that?"
"Da....da....da...."
"Ooh, I know that tune. It's an old one."
"Ignoring you..."
"God, what did you have for breakfast this morning, Insta-(female dog) Cereal Crunch?"
"Not listening..."
"I bet your brain feels as good as new, seeing that you've never used it."
"What happened to wanting to be my friend not my enemy."
"Remember when I asked for your opinion? Me neither."
"I think I have my first ever friend."
"Good to know! Who is it?"
"I know your not mad. I like to play mind games."
"Awesome! I do too!"
"I was just testing your intelligence, speed, and temper."
'Coolio! I bet I got 100% on the first two!"
"More around 63 percent."
"I could eat alphabet soup and (poo) out a better argument."
"Ok look, I'm really not trying to argue right now I'm being serious."
"I am too! I've noticed you aren't that bright!"
"Ok look let's just start over. My name is Scarlet, yours is Majesty."
"I know my name! I know yours too, thanks to the beginning of the conversation!"
"Ok look I don't know how to act near people so your additude really isn't helping."
"I know! Your additude probably isn't helping with your anti-socialness either!"
"Ok, cant we just forgive and forget, before the prince or someone overhears us."
"They're already heard us thanks to you! And all your yelling"
"Well now lets try to FORGIVE AND FORGET. Big worlds for someone like yo... nevermind," she cuts herself a little too slow.
"Oh, not really big words. Just words that I don't use until I'm done with the conversation."
"Well this conversation is over." she says softly and kindly.
"It's not over until I say it is, thank you very much"
"Ignoring..."
"Ignoring..."
"I'll go try to make other friends."
"Good luck with that!"
"Okay. you want a fight, fine. Why don't you get your overly large head and take it over there because well you wanted to be a model well it's becaus your too ugly to, thats why! So why dont you go bu-bye and go over and be the wanna-be princess that you really are!!!!"
"Tell that to the billboards, posters, and beauty commercials that clearly have me all over them."
"Oh well at least I am a model not a wanna-be model!"
"Oh well at least you're brain is too small for your own good; you obviously got that mixed up. How about going to see a doctor? You might be able to get that fixed. And by the way, where did you get that dress, the toilet store? Well it looks like it. Maybe you ARE antisocial! I didn't think so until five minutes ago! Anyways, good luck making friends after this! There isn't a way to say that I WON'T tell everybody about the conversation and get it on television and every front page of every magazine and newspaper in the nation! I'll get that dress on television too! It deserves its own show: 'The dress that looks like (poo)!'"
"Oh well it wouldn't be the first time my failure would be on tv and magazines and newspaper! Or the first time that I would be at the docters. My mother did multiple times and... and," she says through tears. Maybe I went too far. " Three days before I left to the selection I found out I'm acually an orphan because my mother thought I wasn't her true daughter! Turns out she was right and I never said anyhing about it untill now, now I know why I have blue hair and I'm horrible at modeling and every thing else I try! I can't even make a simple friend! My mother is the most social perosn in the world! No wonder I'm not her daughter I might as well go murder myself seeing as I cant do anything right!!! Thank you very much Majesty!"
"No, thank YOU for this wonderful information! I could go tell the press right now!"
"Okay, I will myself! Seeing as your the most selfish person on this planet! You're even more selfish than my fake mother! Shes an airhead model!"
"And I'm not, thankfully! You know, you shouldn't pick a fight with me. When you do, I drop all emotion. I'm.. sorry. You hear me?"
"Yeah, sure," she says sarcastically
"Don't you yeah sure me--" I say, but I stops myself from going on. I don't want to hurt her any more than I have. If words could hurt, she would have all her limbs and her head cut off and dying. I really don't want to do worse than I have currently done.
"Why don't you go talk to all your other friends who just heard our whole conversation and know what a selfish little brat you are!" she covers her mouth
"...I told you not to pick a fight with me. I didn't want to hurt you."
"y...e a s...l.d l.t.e b..t.! " she says with her hand over her mouth.
"Implying that you were repeating the end of your sentence, I guess that you didn't take my advice. Maybe your brain is as small as I said it was."
"c.n y.. l..v. .e a...e!" she says with her hand over her mouth again.
"Implying that you want me to leave, I will if you forgive me."
"..p.!"she says with her hand over her mouth for the third time.
"I will not take no for an answer. I will not leave until you accept my apology."
"..n.!" she says with her hand over her mouth for the fourth time.
"That 'fine' didn't sound too sincere."
"..n., I mean, fine, I accept your apology."
"Want to be friends?"
" Um... Sure."
Oh, I'm such a fool! I can't be free!
No escape from the storm inside of me!
I can’t control the curse!
Please, you’ll only make it worse!
There’s so much fear! You’re not safe here!

9 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 9
Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:57 pm
kat13254 says...

Scarlet

My first friend, wow. I never thought I would have one.

"Um... Sure."

"Alright, so, what do you find fun," she asks, sounding interested.

"Um... I don't know. I've never had a friend."

"Well, since you don't seem to like girly stuff, let's go hang out by the snack table".

"I'd rather stay here," I sigh.

"Alright. Seems you don't like parties either."

"Or people."

"Well then. I am apparently not a 'people', I am a model"

"No you're not you're a Majesty."

"I am a model. Named Majesty!"

"Failed model to be correct."

"Tell that to the posters and magazines and billboards and commercials that say the opposite of that very sentence," she smiles.

"Urgh!" I hate smiling!

"Did that upset you in some way, Scarlet?"

"No, not at all," I say, forcing a fake smile which is obviously fake.

"You need to work on that smile."Great, she could tell that was fake. I'm horrible at everything.

"Well, yeah um... I dont like smiling or really any type of emotion."

"No offense, but that sounds really, really emo."

"Well I guess thats what I am. Emo."

"Well, we could fix that."

"Um.. How!!!"

"Simple: Think positive. Not everybody hates you."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Positive. And thinking positive will have a positive effect on your popularity too. And have you ever though of hair dye? It would help with the hair problem."

"No. I like my hair just everyone else doesn't."

"I like it. It's unique. Unlike everything else in this country."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Everybody's so unoriginal. You know, I never liked modelling either."

"Well, welcome to my world."

"As I said earlier, I was already in your world."

"Well, ummmm I'm an orphan and your not."

Well, I'm technically in your world. We all live on Earth."

"Sort of. Thats not what I mean though."

"I know," she says, sliming.

"Were opposites May."

"Not technically. Both our moms want us to be perfect. We're both models. Stuff like that."

"Fine."

"Do you want a nickname?"

"I HATE nicknames! There so stupid and I never liked them. So do you really think I want a nickmane May. Honestly I thought you were my friend. If you were truly my friend you wold know that I HATE nicknames! So go give nicknames to all your other little friends but not me! So never ask that question again!"

"Woah, calm down. It was a friendly gesture. And we just met fifteen minutes ago, how would I know? That's right, I wouldn't know."

"I don't know I'm sorry."

"It's okay. You're just learning."

"But I dont want to learn."

"I didn't want to learn how to model, but I had to."

"Me too."

"Then you know how I feel."

"Fine. Ill be more positive. Now how exactly do I do that? I'm emo like you said. I'm not positive. Plus I really don't like the prince let alone marry him? Boys, one word desgusting. How could I ever marry one. I don't even want too talk to the prince. But I will talk to the other contestans in the selection. Just not the prince. So don't make me talk to the prince. Or I swear... I will hurt you faster than you can say stop! Well, ok he may be a little cute but that it! Ok, don't tell anyone May! Now let's leave this little corner its getting cramped."

"Well, you're right about being positive. Let me teach you how. Step one, Avoid negative influences. Even if it's a family member or close friend, we must not tolerate anyone's bad behavior. Steer clear from it so that it will not rub off on us. Step two, Replace negative thoughts with positive ones. Look for a bright side in every situation. We will find that there are surprising benefits within them. If we do this long enough, it will become habitual, and it will make a tremendous difference in improving our positive thinking skills. Say "I can!" more than "I can't!" Remember, everything can be framed positively; make a relentless effort to do so. Step three, Smile. Many studies have demonstrated that even a forced smile can lift one's mood! We may also share positivity with others by flashing them with a brilliant smile. Step four, Understand that we all need and deserve time to recharge. If we just got out of a bad relationship, or we simply need a break from the hustle and bustle of your life, we mustn't be afraid to take some time off and recharge. It can be stressful being with other people, even people that we really like. Being independent can help us regain our perspective. "

"Did you not pay attention to anything else that I said May?"

"No, I did not."

"Well sigh.Let's give it a try. One... Two.... Three... Hey May. I'm wayyyyy better now! This is fun being all smiley and girly and rainbowy and stuff!"

"Yes, I'd say it is. Would you like to go try and talk to some other girls?"

"Look at this ugly dress I need a better one! ASAP!"

"Well, let's go!"

"Alright! Yay!" I say, following her out of the room, down the hallway, us the stairs, down another hallway, and into my room. We slam open my closet.

"Okay, let's test your fashion skills. Choose a dress.

"Um... Ok..... this one... It's perfect," I yell, holding a neon green dress with black lace belt around the waist. Every where there isnt the belt it is sequence that basicly glows in the dark.

"Ooh, that one's nice," Majesty replies.

"Do you think I can impress the prince with this!?"

"Yeah! This dress is pretty."

"It goes with my hair and eyes."

"Yes, it does."

"Thank you May. It feels nice having my first friend. Well, I should go get the dress on," I say cheerily, turning around. My maids come to help me dress. Then finish up quickly.

"Okay, let's go back down to the ball."

"Okay, let's go talk to all the other girls and not sit in the corner forever!"

"Alright! Let's go!"

"Come on I dont want to waste time!"

"Okay! Come on," she says, and not too far after that we hurry back into the ballroom.

"Ok let's go get some friends!"

"Yeah, that sounds fun!"

"Lead me to some of your friends May!"

"Okay," she says, pulling me over to a girl I don't think she really knows. We talk and talk and talk.

"H...um...hi..." I run away because I forgot... I'm too shy to talk to anyone. Majesty runs after me, finally catching me when I stop at the door to catch my breath. Why do I have to be so shy!
Mew ฅ(⌯͒• ɪ •⌯͒)ฅ❣

17 Reviews

Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:21 am
EllaBliss says...

Vera

I spend the first few days of the selection not paying attention to anything or anyone. The next thing I know, I'm in a flouncy, red dress that is too fancy for my type of person and have way too much makeup on, standing amidst the crowd of girls at what seems to be a ball. I turn toward a girl with bleach-blonde hair and intense, radiant blue eyes, and also too much makeup.
"Hello, My name is Vera La Donna," I announce, over-confident as always. "And yours?"

She turns and walks away from me. I roll my eyes, flip my hair, and do the same to her. If she's trying to put me down, it won't work as long as I am myself. I crack my fingers and make my way over to the snack table. I put a glass of grape juice on a tray and walk towards her, making it seem like I don't see her. A metre away from her, I jolt my tray a bit, willing my cup to tip over and therefore launching a full cup of grape juice at her white minidress. I force my eyes to pop and my mouth to form into the shape of the letter O, making it seem very much like it was a accident. Inside, I am really beaming with delight.

"How dare you! You did that on purpose," she screams, angry at me for the 'accident'.
"You have no proof of that. I simply tripped," I reply to her, sounding calm as ever.
"You little," she yells at the top of her lungs. Her anger is my happiness.
"You little what? I suppose that you don't have any words to explain a person who tripped."
"That is right, I am a lady," she says under her breath, calming herself. I raise my eyebrows and smile. Every part of my body, from the top of my head to the tip of my toes, is tingling with pure, definite delight. A person who is watching me do this may think that I am going to start over and make friends. That, however, is not exactly the plan that I have for her.

"Well, my name is Alinne, Alinne La Fleur," she says. She is the one to start over.
"My name is Vera La Donna, as I told you earlier," I say, rolling my eyes.
"Ok well look, I'm just really shy and people see me as the ignorant and rude kind. So I wasn't trying to be rude or anything. So can't we just be friends," she says, forgetting about the stain on her dress."Wait a miniute, my dress! Now why dont you say sorry, Vera right? At least it's not truly mine." Does she ever stop talking! "Well, all is forgiven anyway!" Wow, does she even have a brain. It doesn't look like it by that stupid smile. But, I know better. It is extremely obvious that she is acting. I flip my hair and turn away from her. She is an idiot to think that I, Vera La Donna, will believe that she is a babbling idiot. when I am far enough away from her, I scoff at her bad acting. It is obvious that the task of acting is supposed to be left to caste two.

I'm walking so fast, I walk into a blue-haired girl. The girl beside her has caramel-coloured hair.
"Bah....Bu....Ahhhhh....Oooooo" she says making a wierd hand gesture.
"Pardon me, could you please speak in English," I ask, making a face at her.
"Uhhhhh baka baka ohhoo seeee," she mumbles.
"What is your name? Wait, are you less mentally retarded as to know your own name?"
"Oh, that's Scarlet. And I'm Majesty. She's just really shy, and I'm the one who danced with the prince. And your name is? Oh, nevermind, I heard it on TV. You're Vera right?"
"Yes, I am. And baka means stupid in japanese. Is Scarlet okay?"
"I think so," says Majesty. Scarlet is holding her head in her hands, making noises.
"Uhhhhhh, h-h-hi," she stutters. She finally lifts her hands from her face.
"Well, finally! If you were listening to your friend, MY name is Vera."
"Hi, as you know I'm Scarlet. Weren't you just fighting with that girl over there?"
"Oh, no, I tripped," I lie smugly.
"Oh, well. Um, do you want to be friends?"
"Oh, sure," I flash a sparkling smile. Little does she know that it is fake.
"I'll be right back. I just need to go and get a drink," she walks away towards the drink table.
"...May we be friends, too," asks Majesty. Ugh, so stupid.
"No, of course not! Who do you think you are!"
"Then why are you friends with Scarlet," she raises her eyebrows. She's onto me.
"Why don't you tell me if you're so smart," I snicker.
"I'll tell you! You are a self-absorbed sadist who wants to tear apart our friendship, and very well, the whole selection!"
"Hi, May, and Vera, how are my two best friends!" says Scarlet, coming back.
"Vera is a liar! She is trying to tear us apart," says Majesty.
"How could you say that! I know you may not like Vera, but it doesn't mean you can lie! Come on Vera, let's go," she yells at Majesty. This girl isn't the brightest person in the world.
"Alright, let's go," I answer. We both walk away from Majesty.

9 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:17 am
kat13254 says...

Alinne

"Hey I know how you feel. Majesty right," I ask the girl who was just abandoned by her friend.
"Yeah, and you're Alinne I think," she replies.
"Yeah, Vera did this to me," I say," pointing to my dress, now stained by grape juice.
"I can tell. It has the Vera stink on it," she sighs.
"She's a monster, we need to get her out," I say, in a serious tone".
"I agree," she says.
"Let's go talk to her."
"That might not be THE best idea."
"Why not?"
"Well, if we confront her, she might go and tattle and get us kicked out.
"Well she's the one who deserves to get kicked out!"
"Who else would know other than us? SHE'S an actress!
"We'll just have to prove it then!"
"But we have to work on a master plan."
"Why?"
"Because if we don't plan she could turn it back on us and get US kicked out."
"I guess?"
"I guess what? You guess that we'll plan? Well okay, thank you."
"Just look at what she did to my dress!"
"Your dress isn't important. What IS important is stopping her."
"Tell that to my maids."
"Your maids don't want to stop her? Oh, I guess they admire her more than you!"
"Fine," I murmur
"Alright, she's pretty smart. How do we beat her?"
"We need to get Scarlet on our side."
"How do we do that? She's such an idiot!"
"Ok no need to be mean... wait weren't you two friends?"
"I mean it in a good way."
"Yep, sure. Well either way we need her to be on our side side rather than Vera's."
"That's right, but HOW? She fell for Vera's acting more than once."
"I guess so."
"I asked how."
"Well there has to be a way. My mother always said where theres a will theres a way."
"It just takes the right amount of planning."
"Or just the right amount of time I mean how many times could she fall for Vera's acting?"
"She was calling herself an idiot in japanese. That's how many times she could."
"Oh, wow, I guess there's no way."
"Hmm... I guess we just have to go the 'planning' path."
"Yep. I guess so."
"Alright, first step: get girls who havn't met her to dislike her."
"Sure. sounds good."
"Okay, your ideas on how we will do that?"
"Nope. I have none."
"Here's mine: Anonymous rumours?"
"That works," I smile thinking of the idea of gossip going around about the person who ruined my beautiful dress. It really amuses me.
"Right, first: the old 'grape juice' trick? We can get permission to give something to the magazine reporters about it anonymously."
"No thats too mean."
"Serves her right."
"I mean maybe she's just misunderstood."
"After she used the grape juice trick and stole my friend and told me that she was doing it on purpose? Uh, no, definately not. How could you think that?"
"I don't know I'm horrible at this kind of thing!"
"Leave it to me."
"Ok one second let me put on my bracelet," My bracelet looked like it was a bunch of roses climbing my arm. It's really pretty. "It's from my mother, before she died. She was a four then she married my father he was a two."
"That's nice, was she a jeweller?"
"Yeah then my father was a police officer."
"My parents got their wedding rings from her."
"Oh wow. Well about Vera."
"Right, what rumours can you think of?"
"Thats she's a .... Well I shouldn't say."
"That's right, you're a lady."
"Yes I am."
"That's nice."
"Now I know why she doesn't have many friends," I say under my breath.
"I heard that. And, you wouldn't know how many friends I have."
"Sorry I just feel sick."
"What would make you feel sick?"
"Uh, nothing really I think it's just that I've been depriving my sleep latly
"You look like you've been starving yourself too."
"No its just the food is so different. Its hard to digest," I really don't want to tell Majesty my secret.
"...So you havn't been eating it," she asks. Darn, I'm caught.
"No I have," That in fact was a half lie.
"Mmm, I'm a model, dear, I'd know."
"Ok fine come with me," I drag her to the nearest washroom an try to explain it to her.
"Ok well you see I have been starving myself thats why I'm only 75 pounds."
"SEVENTY FIVE POUNDS? HOLY CRAP CHILD!"
"Yes and I have severe anorexia nervosa," I'm ashamed to say it
"And bulima nervosa, too, I'm guessing? Do you use laxatives?"
"Yes," It hurt me much to say that one word that was so simple."
"Oh, dearie me, but why? You're beautiful just the way you are."
"I don't know," I don't know why but I burst into tears.
"To the snack table, and quick!"
"No I don't think I could go back out there!"
"Why? Nobody heard us, it was a private conversation."
"Just leave me alone!"
"I'm trying to help, little person. Cooperate!" I just started to cry more at these words. I couldn't say anything through the tears. "Look, you NEED to eat!"
"No," I scream. I don't mean to, but it's an instinct.
"Please. This is a risk to your health."
"No, but please don't tell the prince."
"I never said I was going to. You will get as much chance as any of us to marry the prince."
"Not if he found about my weight I even lied on my entry form I said I was 110 pounds!"
"You can make yourself 110 pounds by eating."
"Then my dresses wouldn't fit and everything would just go wrong!'
"You can get your maids to adjust the size. They're trained tailors too."
"But they'll tell Prince Claude! I can't deal with the shame."
"They. will. Not!"
"Yes they will May!"
"...How'd you know that's my nickname?"
"Scarlet had told me."
"And since were you two losers FRIENDS?" Vera says from inside a stall.
"We were friends since before the selection, wait," I run crying since she just overhead our whole conversation. She would obvoisly tell Prince Claude. How humiliating! And he will announce it in front of the whole selection, maybe even on live television! I can`t TAKE IT ANYMORE!
"Wait, Alinne," Majesty says, running after me.
"Leave me alone May!"
"Why are you mad at me! I'm trying to help!" she yells as I run straight into the prince. Literally.
"Just I don't want to talk to anyone right now! Uhh. Hi! I uhm, uh, sorry," I thought Vera overhearing our conversation was the worst thing possible. It just got worse.
Mew ฅ(⌯͒• ɪ •⌯͒)ฅ❣

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:31 pm
View Likes
Sunshine says...

Everest Logan I Guard

I wouldn't want to be the prince. Like, okay, it sounds great in idea; as many girls as you could possibly want, and you could do whatever you want with them! Except for the fact that the Prince looks exhausted. The guys got a little dirt on his fancy trousers (how in the world did that happen?) and his face sags. He probably had to dance with all those girls, each one eagerly pushing the other. I'm sort of glad I was on guard duty; I wouldn't want to be one of those guards the girls cast aside in their hunger for the prince.

"Are you alright, your majesty?"

"I'm fine, Everest. Just tired. It's a lot to take in."

"I'm sure."

I am a new guard, barely here six months, and any exchange I have with the prince is weird and disjointed. I don't understand him in the slightest; I certainly don't know Lancelot, who I can hold a conversation with, does.

I'm about to open my mouth when a girl comes tumbling out of nowhere, yelling something I don't hear, landing promptly on the Prince. They fall over, but the girl quickly jumps up, embarrassed as she could possibly be. I offer my hand to the Prince, but he shakes his head, getting up on his own.

" Uhh. Hi! I uhm, uh, sorry," the girl stutters.

Another girl appears out of the corner, watching with wide-eyes. The Prince dusts himself off, looking a tad annoyed. "It's fine, Miss La Fleur. A mistake so small is easily forgiven. Just be more careful next time."

"I... I can do that." She glances back at the other girl, who glides up next to her.

"Thank you for understanding, your majesty." The other girl says, far smoother than the one previously speaking.

"Yes, just be careful. I couldn't have any of the contestants getting hurt, could I?" He turns to me, the silent observer. "Take Miss Rubyton and Miss La Fleur to their rooms, please. I need to retire. After doing that job, you may take your off-shift."

He quickly moves away. I sigh, running a hand through my hair. "Come with me, ladies. The hallway isn't far away."

The smooth-speaking one seems a tad indignant to be lead back to the hallway, and keeps a step ahead of me. The other one drags a step behind.

I can barely handle the silence, after so much noise from the Dance, so I introduce myself. "I'm a guard to the prince, but my name is Everest Logan."

"Majesty, Alinne." The one in front says. She finds her room as soon as we get to the hallway, and slips inside. The other one has to be walked a little further down.

"Thank you." She mutters, slipping inside her room.

A certain tension to my shoulders releases. My off-shift means freedom. I make my way down the rest of the endless hallway, shifting through girls.

"Night, Muna!" One of them yells over my head, not noticing me. The girl she is yelling at simply shakes her head and smiles a little bit.

The guards chambers isn't too far past the contestant's, and I slip into one of the shared rooms, where my roommate Quintus as his bottom body armor on, but is otherwise trotting around shirtless. We have reverse shifts, usually, so I hardly ever talk to the guy who shares my living quarters.

"Everest! God, did you see those girls! Almost every single on of them, hot as could be! There were a few too-skinny ones, but jeez! Makes you wish were the Prince! He's too good to take advantage of it though, idn't he?"

"Reason number one-hundred and sixty-five why you shouldn't be a prince of anything." I take off my own armor-stuff off, feeling scrawny compared to Quintus.

Quintus puts his own stuff on, finally covering himself up. "We're only in the hundreds? I'm doing good, scrawny! Seriously, though, those girls are pretty desperate; its a good thing there's that romance rule."

Sometimes Quintus makes my stomach roll. "Put your stuff on and get out of here so I can get this stuff off."

"Right. Sorry, mate." He winks at me, and leaves.

I have a terrible feeling about Quintus sometimes, but I forget it and pull on my jeans. I make my way back through the hallways. Most people who have this shift off are at the tavern in the town below, or sleeping. They all think I'm the weirdo skinny guys, making my way to the library, open to us, but not recommended.

They're mostly higher class anyway, to begin with; all people who took education for granted, but I take out the book about the caste system and read for awhile. And after I can no longer stand it, I take my guitar from its hiding spot, and strum a few quiet cords as the night disappears.

If anyone wants to find him, that could be cool.
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

9 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:46 am
kat13254 says...

Alinne
After all of the things that have happened tonight, all I want to do is forget about everything. Forget about May, Vera, and bumping into the prince, and that awkward walk with the guard.

I decide I should go for a small walk around the castle and try to clear my mind of everything from tonight. I started down the hallway, bumping into various girls. After I push through all of them I turn the corner and I see the person I really don't want to see, Majesty.

"Well, hello May," I say to Majesty.

"Hi Alinne! How are you? I was on a walk," she replies.

"Me too," I say obviously annoyed.

"Are you okay," she asks me.

"You can call me Allie you know. And yes, I'm fine, thank you. "

"Are you sure?"

"Yes now can I please walk in peace?"

"I'll come with you," she says. She sees my annoyedness, but ignores it.

"Fine, but just please don't talk too much. I have a headache"

"Alright," she says, and follows me slowly down the hallway. As we walk I just try to walk away from her, but it doesn't seem to be working. I try to ditch her by running into the library while Majesty isn't looking. While entering I start to hear a guitar. I wonder who it is?

"May, who do you think it is," I whisper.

"I don't know. Maybe a selection girl who is a five is passing her time in here."

"Or someone else, like maybe a guard or maybe even the prince?"

"Very possible. Even guards or the prince needs some time off."

"Maybe even a maid. Though that's the most unlike possibility."

"Yeah, as if a maid would have enough time to play guitar here, let alone learn how to."

"I don't know. Let's check it out."

"Okay, let's go."

"Very carfuly. We don't want them to know were here."

"I'm good at going quietly," she whispers. Her steps are silent and she stays in the shadows of the shelves.

When I see who it is I just gasp way too loudly and I'm surprised he didn't hear me.

Majesty advances in her steps, to the edge of the shelf where she would risk being seen if she were to step forward one more step.

"It's a guard," I whisper.

"I know" she says, stealthily poking her eye over the edge of the shelf. She is still unseen.

"Isn't the one who was with prince Claude?"

"Yeah, he is. He's really good at that, I wonder what caste he was in before he was made a guard."

"Probably in the lower castes."

"Particularly, a five."

"Why don't we ask him?"

"Alright, This should be interesting."

We walk out from our hiding places and go to meet the guard.

" Uh... Well... Hello there... Me... Al, Al, Al?" I blushed. I felt immediately embarrassed of how shy I am.

"What she's saying is, hello. Her name is Alinne and I'm Majesty. Nice to meet you!"
Mew ฅ(⌯͒• ɪ •⌯͒)ฅ❣

17 Reviews

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:37 am
EllaBliss says...

Vera
I look back, making sure that Scarlet can't find me. I keep walking down the hallway. What a pest! She's always following me.
"Hey Vivi! Where are you," she yells. I hope she doesn't find me in the crowd of wannabe princesses, and I hope nobody recognises that she's calling my name, not some person named Vivi. I stay hidden in a crowd of girls huddled together. They don't seem to mind me walking in the middle of them. I make it all the way to my door before she finds me.
"Oh, hi, Scarlet! Were you looking for me?"
"Yes, actually I was Vivi!"
"Oh, well it's good that you found me," I smile. It is fake of course, but I was born an actor. She will believe it.
"Why is it good Vi? Oh, I saw Allie and May heading for the library! Let's go check it out," Why is she so enthusiastic, it's so annoying!
"That sounds.. fun," I say, faking an exited voice. I follow her to the library.
"Wait, Vivi are you sure we should go? I'm not sure they want us there."
"Are you my friend or not," I fake a sad voice and frown. My eyes tear up on que.
"Of course Vivi! Let's go," she says. We stealthily walk down the hallway. I don't know how, but the marble floor makes a creak noise every time we advance forward. There is a girl already in front of the library doors, probably also watching Majesty and Alinne.
"Hi! What's your name! Mine's Scarlet, and this is Vivi," yells Scarlet.
The girl turned around, not even slightly startled. "Your Preppy-Ness is annoying me already on my nerves. So drop it or don't talk." She sneered.
"I believe the preppy-ness is Majesty's fault. She's one of the girls in the library. But then again, if she wasn't taught by Majesty she would be antisocial right now."
"Hello? I'm right here! Vivi"
"I know, Scarlet. I was just pointing out that the enemy has some good points."
"Well, I guess you're right Vivi," She said actually sounding sad.
"I know that I am, Scarlet!" I smile. My eyes have a sympathetic flash. I know that she will believe my acting.
"So what is your name again," Scarlet asks the girl.
"Um. Why are you guys here? And you seriously need to keep it down. We don't need to draw any attention." She answered, still sounded harsh.
"We're here because we saw Majesty and Alinne went in there."
"Look. I'm not here to make friends. The only friend I have is Reina, and that was a long shot anyway. So why don't you take your preppy little selves back to whatever preppy dump you came from." She turned back to the glass doors to the library.
"Preppy? Maybe Scarlet, but not me. And by the way, move out of the way of the doors. If Majesty sees you... Scarlet has experience with her bad side."
"It's horrible! She yells and yells until you cry!"
The girl just laughed. "I'm not scared of the queen of preps!" She kept spying.
"You still haven't told us your name." I say.
She looked back at us, clearly annoyed. "Ari."
"Well hi Ari, this is Vivi! I'm Scarlet!"
"She knows that, Scarlet!" I roll my eyes.
"Vivi? Weird name." Ari muttered.
"It's actually Vera. She...likes nicknames."
"Well. I'm going in." And before me or Scarlet could react she was through the door, sneaking around to get a closer look.
"Wait Ari! Vivi let's go!"
"I'm going in with her," I say. I stealthily follow her in.
"Don't leave me here!" She runs in with me.
Ari snapped her head back. Her eyes burned into ours. She lifted her finger to her lips signaling Scarlet to be quiet.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:07 am
Sunshine says...

Everest Logan

I have to admit, I was pretty surprised to see the two girls from earlier simply jaunt in while I was peacefully in the library, playing a few of my favorite melodies taught to me by my Mother.

I wasn't sure how to react to them, shocked at first sight; I didn't know how to talk to them on duty, much less off duty. Every single one of them seemed far too glamourous for regular-people speech, even the cutesy or nervous ones, such as the petite girl in front of me.

" Uh... Well... Hello there... Me... Al, Al, Al?"

"What she's saying is, hello. Her name is Alinne and I'm Majesty. Nice to meet you!"

"Hello. I... um, I believe we met earlier." Had they forgotten my name? Our meeting? It was late, after all. I should be escorting them to their rooms, but I cant bring myself to do so.

"Yes, I believe that you are the one who escorted us to our rooms? Your name is Everest, Right?"

"Hi, hi, hi."

"Alinne, you don't have to repeat everything three times."

"Ummm, me Allie?"

"No caveman speak, either. You are human."

"Hi, my name is? Wait, what is my name?"

"Your name is Alinne."

"Yes! That's right!"

"We need to talk later, Alinne.. anyways, hello Everest! You're really good at playing the guitar."

I watch the exchange between the two girls awkwardly, though that is my normal dispostion. It is nice to see them behave as humans, in a regular sense . "Thank you." I reply, because ths is what one says for a compliment. "I was a five before I was urged to take on guard duty. It has always been a love of mine besides that, though." I'm not sure what else to say that wouldn't be scolding them. "Do either of you play?"

"My mother tried to teach me to play. She was a five before she married my father. He was a guard, just like you."

"So wait, were not in trouble?"

The tiny girl's words warm me, and I have the urge to continue an endless conversation about it. THE confident one stops me in my tracks. I chose my words carefully. "I am off duty at this moment. I... I... would escort you to your rooms if you like, but I felt the need to prove to myself that the dozens of roses could live without the gardener."

"What does that mean?"

"Its a metaphor." I'm a tad sad she does not get it , but more pleased with my own cleverness that I can explain it. "The Prince is your gardener, and all of you selecton girls are his roses; I want to prove to myself that you can be colorful without him."

"Oh, ok!"

"Alright, seems interesting."

Interesting does not help me much, but stand at put my guitar away, sliding it back into its hiding spot. My fingers crave to play more, but I am slowly switching back in to guard duty. They have not been the water to my loneliness. "I should be taking you back to your room. Remember, the Prince told you not to get hurt, and being out so late certainly will not aid that request. Majesty?"

She turns towards the door, but the Alinne one does not follow. She is not apart of this conversation, hardly apart of this world. She's very thin, I notice, thin like the Untouchables wandering the streets back home. She's high class, I know that, and do not understand it. "Miss? Are you alright?"

"What! Oh yes, umm sorry."

I look at her a moment longer, but cannot spend too many worries. The three of us walk into the hallway, Majesty dragging Alinne behind her. There's an odd scrabbling of noise.

"Vera! Scarlet!"

I realize as she yells that there are more girls in the hallway, looking one downright guilty, the other smug. I sigh. I just wanted a night to myself, peace and quiet, but that does not seem a possibility anymore.

"What are you two doing?" I put on my best guard voice. Majesty seems to gloat behind my shoulder.

"Why are you here! Do you want to ruin everything we do!"

"No, we heard music."

"Yeah right. That's what you always say!"

"Ladies!" I scold them all, feeling rather powerful. "I was in the libarary, playing my gutar on my break. Now I am forced to resume duties. Perhaps you should all like to head to bed?"

"Stay out of this! I... I didn't mean that!" I was taken aback by the quiet ones words, shocked to silence.

"So, what're you doing here, Alinne?"

"Me and May were just going for a walk and we heard music so we went to see who it was."

"Sure, okay."

I am getting extremely uncomfortable now, but cannot yell for fear of waking others and causing more problems.

"Well Vera. If you don't belive us ask Everest!"

They all turn towards me. I swallow, trying not to show my nervousness. "I told all of you this already! I was playing my guitar, and Miss Rubyton and Alinn- ah, Miss La Fleur came in and checked out the noise. They were going to bed, and you will go with them." I take a deep breathe."

"Were not finished so stay out of this Everest!"

"It's fine, sir. You may escort us to our rooms," says the one who seems to be named Vera.

"No I'm not finished talking to you Vera! So stay put both of you!"

"Excuse me, Alinne, but it's midnight. I suggest that we finish the conversation and retire to bed."

"Yeah, but no! Were not done yet Vera! I never got to say this to you so now I am! Unless you've forgotten the grape juice accident already?"

"It was, indeed, an accident. My shoes were too tight, so I tripped."

I'm getting angry, especially sense they all have no respect for me. "I want all of you to be quiet! I am the prince's guard! I can tell him all of this; so all of you! Quiet!"

"Yes sir," says Vera.

"Fine, but Vera were not finished! So don't expect to just be a little angel and I'll just forgive you!"

"Keep quiet, please."

I lead them to their rooms, and take one deep breathe. It turns out my metaphor was completely incorrect. They are all thorns, it seems like.
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

9 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:21 am
kat13254 says...

Alinne

After we arrive in our rooms, I send my maids away. I hop into my bed and just start sobbing uncontrollably. I don't know why, I just do it. After everything that hapened I just can't help it. After yelling at a guard, and yelling at Vera too, and I have a problem and I know I need help I just don't know how to get it. I fall asleep while doing this, and wake up to a light knock on my door. Majesty opens the door and then enters the room.
"Hello, sleepyhead! It's breakfast time, want to come down with me," she asks. I had tear stains from not washing off my makeup last night. She could obviously tell I was crying. "Are you okay, Alinne? You look like you've been crying."
"No!" I hide myself under the covers.
"Come on, you're acting like a child. Let's wash your face, and then you can tell me what's wrong. And after that, we can go down to eat," she smiles towards me. She is being kind, but I get angry at her for trying to help me. As she realizes my anger, she takes a step back.
"No! Just leave me alone!" No one likes me!"
"I like you. And Scarlet likes you.. She's your friend, isn't she?"
"No!" I'm yelling so much I slip off the bed and hit my head. "Owww!!!!
"Are you okay," she asks, rushing forward to my side with concern. "Do you need some ice?"
"Noooooo..." I moan in pain. "And.. yeeessss..."
"Okay, um, where are your maids?
"I made them leave. Urg!"
"Well, I'll go to the kitchen to get some ice myself. I'll be right back," she says. She saunters out of the room towards the kitchen, where there would be ice. A few minutes later, she's back. "Here, I found some," she smiles, wrapping the ice in a cloth. I'm still hitting my head on the dresser. I just feel like it. "Alinne, don't do that," she whispers, handing me the ice.
"Fine..." I put it on my head. It feels nice.
"Tell me, what's the problem? I can help without telling anyone," she mutters quietly. She's acting just like my mother should. "I swear to secrecy. It is my oath to not tell anyone. Not even the kind himself," she continues. I look up at her, straight in the eyes.
"No.. I really don't want to."
"But I can help. I really can," she bends over. Her eyes glow like the full moon.
"No, no" Tears start to come. I try to push them back but I can't. I've been hiding it for so long.
"It's okay, you can tell me. I already swore to secrecy."
"No, please," Things are so messed up for me.
"Then, let's get you dressed. How about this dress," she says, holding up a dress that compliments every bit of my appearance. I consider it, but I shake away the thought.
"No!" I snap at her. I really don't mean to, but right now I just wants to hide here in the safety of my room. She looks at me. Now that I think of it, she looks like a parent conforting their child. It is hard not to give in to her. She looks down at me. She looks so convincing.
"You can hide in here, but the prince will come looking for you. Do you want that?"
"Yes," It seems I forgot how to talk rather than yell right now.
"You want him to come looking? He will be very concerned about you. That you haven't been coming down to eat. He will ask you questions. Do you want that, Alinne?";
"I honestly do not care!"
"If you don't answer him, he might kick you out of the selection. Do you want that?"
"Yes," I yell. The people in the dining room can probably hear me yelling.
"Alright then. I guess I'll just go make friends with Vera," what she just said makes me even more sick than I already am. I almost throw up and May obviously notices.
"Do you need me to get you a paper bag," she says, stopping her acting.
"No," I need to leave. I need to kill myself. "I hate my life! Jus.. Just leave me alone!"
"If you say so. If you need a friend, just come see me. I'm going to breakfast," she says, then leaves the room. I don't feel good watching her leave after she's tried to help me.
"N..No!!!!" I run and chase her tripping into someone while running. "S...S...Sorry" I keep running after May. When she gets there, I catch up with her.
"Oh, Alinne. You followed me?"
"P...P...Please."
"Please what? Do you finally admit that you need help?"
"Maybe..."
"Okay. Well, I'll help you pile your plate up with food. Just, don't eat too much."
"No," I yell. Everyone heard me say that. They all turn their head towards me.
"Shh, don't yell. We're not in your room anymore."
"I don't care," I yell. I run out of the room...
Mew ฅ(⌯͒• ɪ •⌯͒)ฅ❣

17 Reviews

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:35 am
EllaBliss says...

Majesty

Alinne runs out of the room in an outbreak of commotion. I turn towards the door, just looking at it. I wait for her to slowly open it. I count down in my head. Three, two, one..
"May.."
"Yes, what do you need, Alinne," I say. I look her in the eyes.
"May, I just can't do thi..." She faints right there. Nobody in the room is paying attention anymore, so I carry her to her room. I softly place her on her bed, dampening a cloth and placing it on her forehead. I pull a chair up to the side of her bed. Her eyes open, her eyelashes fluttering as she awakens. She slaps me when she sits up.
"Oh I am so sorry," she says. I can tell that is it genuine.
"It's okay. I know this is a rough part of your life."I say. Right after that, she starts coughing. "Oh, goodness," I say.
"I'm go..gon...ggonna... di...die," she says.
"No, you won't. Is there anyithing stuck in your throat?"
"No! I'm just gonna die!"
"What is making you cough? There must be a cause."
"No!" She hides under the covers again. Hopefully this time she doesn't fall off.
"Are you forcing yourself to? You better not be."
"I am," she yells. I knew it.
"Don't. You can't die that way. You'll just eventually pass out, and your brain will tell your lungs to breathe while you're out," I tell her.
"No!"
"It's true, I'm sorry. Maybe dying isn't the best way to solve things."
"I want to though! I hate everything! Why can't life go my way?"
"At some times it won't, but don't worry, sweetie; things happen."
"Ex..Excuse me?"
"Do you need something?"
"You called me sweetie?"
"I-- umm," I say. I really don't want to tell her.
"Hm?"
"Okay, I am asking for your permission to tell you something you shouldn't know."
"Ok...?"
"When I was born, I had a disorder that caused me to have a child the day after I was born, although I wasn't truly old enough to do so. My parents put the child up for adoption, and.. it turns out.. that, umm..."
"What? Continue talking."
"You were my child." I look her in her eyes. After telling her this, I reach into a fold of fabric in my dress. "These dresses are so big I can hide stuff in them... here, I saved some food for you from the dining hall," I say. I open the bag and give her its contents.
"No thanks."
"Are you sure? With your disorder, you need to eat. You're pretty, even if your ribs are not showing. Is that clear, Alinne?"
"No it'll make me sick."
"No, you will force youself to be sick. It's called bulimia nervosa."
"Yeah I know."
"Then don't do it. You want to stop doing it, so stop."
"I can't," she says, looking at the ground. I guess this is the moment she realizes her stupidity.
"Yes, you can, and you will. If you eat, things will be better for you."
"No," she yells. At that moment, her stomach gives a large growling noise.
"I may not have raised you, but I am your mother. I want good for you."
"No! I think I'm gonna be sick!"
"You're like a rollercoaster. Up and down and up and down.. One moment you're happy, and the next, you're yelling at me like I'd told you to go fuck yourself."
"Well, sorry!"
"It's okay. I'm just observing something that wouldn't be like this today.. if I'd have met them sooner," I say. I brush through my hair with my fingers
"Them?"
"As in you, if I were to make you an un-anonymous figure in my speech."
"Urg. Just leave me alone!"
"I will, but if you don't find a solution, things won't work out," I say, walking out the door.
"I don't care," she yells. She probably doesn't notice I'm not in the room anymore. I walk into my room. I give it five seconds for something to go wrong. Five, four, three, two, one.. I walk back to get room. I open the door, and I see Alinne trying to commit suicide, and her maids trying to stop her. I run to help her maids pull her away from the balcony.
"Get away from me!!"
"Allie, don't do this! Things can be better!"
"No, they cant," she yells, just as me and her maids pull her away and she falls backwards.
"Yes, they can. Use your head, numnum."
"Just get away from me you mental idiot!"
"You're more mental then I am."
"I know I am! That's why I'm doing this!
"That's not what I mean. What kind of things drove you to do this?"
" Everything! Being here! My problems! And... I may have a crush on one of the guards..."
"Everything's okay. I know it's against the rules, but you could ask the prince to leave the selection. Then it will be over. There is a better way to solve things. I will teach you."
"No! I'm not leaving!"
"You told me you wanted to," I say. "Anyways, step one: Indentify the problem."
"Stop lecturing me!"
"I know the problem. Anorexia and Bulimia Nervosa. Teenage crushes, and lastly, the flow of life."
"Urg!!! I'm leaving," she just walks away and out into the hall."
"I'll solve her problem for her. I'll get permission from the prince to help her, even if it causes her stress," I say. Alinne must have had her ear up against the door, because she bursts in.
"Stop it!!"
"Stop what? Stop trying to help? I won't! Not until everything's solved!"
"Just leave me alone!"
"I can leave you alone if you want me to, but I won't leave your problems alone.
"Gosh darn it just leave me alone woman!"
"I'm a woman? When I last checked, I was sixteen."
"I honestly do not care!"
"Neither do I, really. Phisologically, I'm much older."
"Ok just leave me alone!"
"It's a cycle. Two seconds ago you said the exact same thing."
"Oh hi," said a familiar voice.
"No," yells Alinne, and she jumps under her covers. Vera La Donna parades into the room with a smug look on her face, and Scarlet comes in behind her. I step in front of her.
"Vera, this is Alinne's private space, so we request that you leave," I say, staring her in the eyes.
I know that if I do this, I can lower her self-esteem and confidence in this situation. "Go away!"
"Yes, I know. We heard yelling, didn't we, Scarlet?"
"Yes we did! So we came to investagate! Yay! Detectives!"
"Well, everything's fine. She's just going through some emotional pain."
"Urgh," I hear Alinne grunt in the background. At least it's better than telling them you're anorexic, bulimic, and was about to commit suicide, you idiot.
"Yay! Wait Nevermind! I'm sorry to-be sister!"
"Hm," grunts Alinne, looking up.
"Yeah, our parents are getting married! Yay!!!"
"What?" Alinne and I say at the exact same time.
"Yep! One month!"
"No! I can't be!"
"Yep!"
"Scarlet, that means that you'd be related to me in ways that I shouldn't tell you," I say. I put my hands over my mouth after saything that.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:53 am
Unbelievable says...

Ari

Reina and I walk to my room. We've both been quiet and I was the only princess that hadn't even talked to the Prince yet. I didn't bother me. He was soon to be eliminating groups. Maybe I'd go home.

I will admit it hasn't been such a nightmare. I just had to shut up and fade into the background.

When Reina got into our room she sat on the bed. We had got into an argument an hour or so ago and she seemed to still be mad.

She threw a pillow to the other side of the room. I flinched.

"Calm down Reina..." I say softly.

"Calm down?! You just embarrassed the both of us in front of everyone!!!! I don't know about you but I actually need to win this!" She yelled. I was thankful we were the only ones in the Selection Princess' rooms.

I closed my eyes, and then opened them again, blinking away tears. I don't like being reminded of my past. I can almost hear Dan...

She yelled again and then smacked me. I yelped out in pain.

A confused look came across Reina's face, then she looked frightened. Probably frightened at the person who just hit her best friend.

I'm done. I want to leave. NOW. I started towards the western part of the castle. Hopefully no one was there.

I couldn't stop seeing Kalia and Sahara and worst of all, Dan. I couldn't stop seeing me hiding in the corner when Dan came home. I wanted to scream. Cry. Something. But I couldn't. That would make me seen as weak.

I was so caught up in my thought I didn't realize I was about to crash right into someone. I fell backwards, and cursed. "What the hell?!" I yelled.

"Sorry, you shouldn't be here though." I heard a familiar voice say. I looked up, and my eyes widened.

"Prince Claude. Sorry, I was just trying to get away from all those fake girls back there." I said in a harsh tone. I didn't care that he wanted to marry a plastic toy, he could send me home as a disgrace if he wanted to.

"Ariel isn't it? I don't believe you've talked to me much. Did I do something to make you avoid me?" He asked in an amused tone.

Everything's a game to him! ugh.

"Yes there is! You see, I want to marry a real man, not someone who hides behind games." I said, being even more rude than before.

His smile faltered for a second, then came back to his usual amused smirk.

"I like you." He laughed.

"Happy to Please, now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to go back to avoiding you." I smirked and started walking away.

"Wait. Walk with me." The Prince called to me.

I wanted to punch something. Someone. He always got his way. Always. I clenched my teeth and turned around and he started to walk beside me.

"Ariel-"

"It's Ari." I snapped, interrupting him.

He glanced at me then continued, "Ari, why do you want to avoid me. Tell me the truth, no sugar-coating." He stopped and turned to me.

No problem. I looked him straight in the eyes.

"You wanna know why? Because all my life I got nothing. I served people like you. You guys think everyone is in love with you, when most of us dispise you because everything comes easy to you! And you think everything is a game! And what ever you say goes, so why do you think we have a choice? I really wanted to ignore your request to walk with you, but you see, you're my Prince, and I am your subject. I do what you say, no questions asked. No matter what it is. You can make me kill myself, you can make me be stuck here with barbie 1-15, and you can even force me to sleep with you. And you don't even think twice about the price we're paying. As long as you are happy, we should pay the price."

I finished with a huff. The Prince is staring at me like I just slapped him in the face.

I started walking away, thinking he would stop me, but he let me go.

I went into my room and screamed into my pillow.

I want to leave.

Now.
You will never know me.

I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
— John Cage