Young Writers Society

The Four Kingdoms (closed)

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:48 pm
View Likes
NightWolf says...

The Four Kingdoms

The Four Kingdoms; Isria, Mercia, Karnis, and Larkan. All are at war. But the heirs to the Kingdoms' thrones don't want this for their future land, no, they will stop it, whatever the cost. There are rumours of a fifth Kingdom, one over the Skyshard mountain range. A legend tells of a jewel, one of peace, that if taken from it's prison, will stop all war and hatred in the world. This is the heirs' goal. And they will accomplish it, whatever the cost.

Places

Prince Damon of Isria-taken (NightWolf)- Prince Damon is bold, brash and cocky. Perhaps the strongest to the heirs, and the one with the most commanding air. He can get rather irritating, but his heart is of gold, and he will do all he can to save his Kingdom. He doesn't really take advice, and that could lead to deadly consequences...

Princess Katherine of Mercia-taken (TheMessenger)- Princess Katherine is fair and just, loved by all in Mercia. It is said she is the most beautiful maiden in all the land, as sweet as a rose. But every rose has its thorn. She is quite temperamental, and is stronger than she looks. Hidden away from sight, is her dagger. Katherine is one princess determined to prove she has what it takes to save her Kingdom.

Princess Sophia of Karnis-taken (Iggy)-Princess Sophia has a sharp tongue, like an adder's. She isn't afraid to say what she thinks, and this can lead to some very awkward moments. She is actually very skilled at a bow and arrow, having been taught by her father. Everyone knows she can beat most in archery, and she loves to show off. Princess Sophia is shooting for the stars as she takes on this quest.

Prince William of Larkan-taken (Griffinkeeper)-Prince William isn't really the adventuring kind, preferring books over blades. Nevertheless, his intelligence could be very useful, despite the fact he's a hopeless fighter. His advice is to be taken, not ignored, and it could be very helpful. This Prince wants to prove that brains can equal brawn in its full power.

Ayla-taken (maleficent)-a young girl with nowhere to go, Ayla met the four heirs as they prepared to travel, disguised, through their kingdoms to the fifth. They decided to take her with them, as she couldn't go back to a non-existent home. The girl knows the land well, and her skill could become the difference between life and death...

Post below if you want a space!
Last edited by NightWolf on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We're all just stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" The Eleventh Doctor

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:59 pm
Messenger says...

I will take Katherine

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:12 pm
maleficent says...

Can I take Ayla? :)
"Beware the darkness in your heart. The Heartless prey upon it."

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:05 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Dibs on William.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:56 pm
NightWolf says...

Prince Damon Airax II of Isria

I glanced around me nervously as soldiers ran to and fro, transporting weapons, armour and food supplies around. In all this chaos, surely no-one would notice a messenger? But I knew that the Citadel was on high alert, so that any messenger would get brutally interrogated. Looking intently at the Citadel's gate, I noticed a scrawny man being held back by two guards. Panicking, I rushed over.
"My Prince," one of them said, "He was trying to enter the Citadel without reporting to us."
I raised my hand, and the guards relaxed their hold on the man a little.
"He's fine, let him in."
The guards let go completely, looking shocked. With a smile, the man bowed to me, then glanced back at the guards.
"Are you sure, my Prince? He could be a spy."
I groaned.
"Let him in," I repeated, "Now."
The guards growled under their breaths and turned away. I led the man to an alcove far from the bustle of the courtyard.
"So, the message?" I asked.
"The Princess Sophia believes your idea is noble, but how you can pull it off, she does not know. But she is prepared to come."
I laughed.
"Great. That's great. And now I wait for the other two."
"We're all just stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" The Eleventh Doctor

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:33 pm
Messenger says...

Princess Katherine of Mercia

Katherine held up her green silk dress, keeping it from sliding against the stones in the garden. Roses were in full bloom, mostly red, vines crawled up white trellises and hummingbirds of all colors buzzed past at high speeds, She smiled, not only because of the beautiful garden, which smelled delicious, but because of the date: her birthday. She was turning nineteen, and tonight would be a large ball in her honor. Of course there would be the suitors, most of which she didn't care to talk to, but there were a few she was somewhat interested in.

A breeze worked through the warm air, ruffling Kat's auburn hair. She sighed, content with the wonderful spring weather. She looked ahead to see the two lightly colored stone towers, connected by a twenty foot tall wall. A pair of guards, dressed in light armor, red tunics, and armed with short spears, walked back and forth. Kat came within ten feet.

"Hello George, hello, Gustav!" she called up, waving at them.

They both looked down, smiling and waving back when they saw Kat. "Hello Madam Kasserin!" said Gustav, in his foreign accent.

George, light-haired, poked him in the ribs. "That would be Katherine." He turned to Kat. "Good afternoon Your Ladyship."

Kat smiled back at them. "Don't quarrel boys, you might push each other off, and then I'd have to get new guards."

The both nodded, and just as they were about to return to patrolling, Gustav gave George a good nudge. Kat smiled. The two had been friends for three years now and were great friends.

Kat turned and headed back towards the market when she heard a shout from George: "Rider coming!"

kat hurried to through the garden to the nearest gate. The large wooden doors yawned open, and a rider rode through, pulling his horse to a stop.

"A message for the Princess Katherine."

Two guards hurried forward, taking a scroll from the rider's hand and handing them to Kat. She took it and hurried back to her room. Sitting on her plush bed, she un-scrolled it.

Princess Katherine of Mercia, this is an urgent message from Prince Damon Airax II of Isria.

I request your meeting at Lake Middle, near the center of the four kingdoms. War is ravaging the kingdom as you know, and I believe we must attempt to stop it. We must act quickly.
Please respond immediately.
Prince Damon

Kat sat there, shocked. The four kingdoms, Isria, Mercia, Karnis, and Larken, were all at war. They had been for some time. But what did Damon expect her to do?
Fight? True, she was a good fighter, she had been trained in archery, and fencing, she had command of a small army, but that wasn't enough to crush an enemy.

Meet at the Middle Lake? That was a long journey! Maybe he had something in mind that he hadn't told her. Kat decided she would speak with hr father. He would know what to do.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Kat waited for her father's response. She had just showed him the note. Her father was tall, his brown hair was just showing signs of graying. He was sturdily built, and seemed to fit well in the large chair he sat in. He rubbed his hands together thoughtfully.

"Well Kat what do you think? Is this a wise decision in your mind? After all you are turning nineteen. You are an adult. I don't control you."

"But father, I just don't know."

"Would it help our country?"

"I don't know. I-"

"Breach in the north wall!" A shout echoed down the chambers.

Kat swiveled around and her father jumped up. The door swung open and a guard dashed in.

"Karnis is assaulting! A small band of assassins have broken in. They-"

The guard let out a scream and toppled into the room at Kat's feet. A man dressed in light leather armor burst in, two daggers, one in each hand, bloodied. He charged at Kat who stumbled back, falling onto the ground. Her father leapt forward, wielding a sword he had grabbed form the wall. The blade drove through the assassin's chest. He stopped and choked. He drove further. Nearly half the blade was sticking out the assassin's back and blood dripped out. The vicious light in the assassin's eyes, went out, he dropped the daggers, and sunk to his knees.

Kat watched from the ground as her father pulled out the blade. She heard a grating sound as the blade was pulled out against bones. She held her stomach together, barely, and pulled herself up.

"Father, what do we do?"

He turned to her. "Follow me."

He headed out the door. Kat followed, skirting around the two dead bodes. She couldn't help but look down at the bloodied figures. She grimaced and hurried out. Her father headed left. They went down a spiral staircase. When they came to the bottom a small battle unfolded. Several guards were fending off attackers.

Kat watched as her father rushed into the fray, cutting down to attackers. Suddenly a man came jumping onto his back. Kat slid the dagger out of her left arm fold and slashed out at the attacker as he raised a short sword. Her blade sliced his arm and he let go of the sword. Ten, KAt watched in horror as a second attacker came forward, running a blade through her father.

"No!" she screamed.

Her father's eyes grew wide and then he toppled over, yelling: "Kat, go to Middle Lake!"

Kat froze unsure of what to do. One of the attackers came out her, grabbing her wrists.

"Let go!" she shouted.

She yanked her armed hand away and lunged forward. the dagger went through the attacker's neck, spurting blood out all over Kat's arm. She yanked the dagger away and rushed out of the room towards the stables, avoiding s enemies. She had to get away!

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:24 am
Iggy says...

Princess Sophia of Karnis

I can't believe you're doing this.

"Oh, hush!" Sophia said in a voice that appeared louder than it really was, due to the quiet peaceful mood of the forest she was riding through.

One would think she was talking to her horse, but she was really speaking to herself and her doubtful mind.

She had received Prince Damon's letter earlier and, after discussing it with her mother, quickly sought out to meet the heir of Isria. Her father was too blind with hatred, but her mother was wise. She knew that this may be the only chance for the four kingdoms to live in harmony, as they did many years ago before war broke out. But still, she adviced her daughter to take some weapons, just in case.

She would have had Sophia take some guards as well, but Sophia put her foot down. She didn't want Prince Damon, or the other two heirs, to feel threatened. Besides, she could definitely defend herself.

Sophia gripped the reigns and directed her horse farther into the forest, making her way to the Middle Lake.

Behind her, she heard trees and bushes rustle and tensed, tilting her head back to listen.

She heard both footsteps and hooves approach, and she jumped down from her horse, a hand poised, ready to grab the dagger out from inside her hooded cloak if needed as she waited for the person to approach.

(@Griffinkeeper or @maleficent - could be either one of you, if you'd like)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:29 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Prince William of Larkan

There was simply no way I could tell my father. Larkan had a proud military tradition and the simple truth was that he was enjoying the opportunity of demonstrating our military prowess to the other kingdoms.

And truth be told, I was suspicious when the letter had come from Prince Damon. But upon closer examination, there was something wrong. It was subtle, but once you knew what to look for, the truth revealed herself.

Something was forcing the kingdoms to war with one another. On six different occasions, there had been a pivotal battle in which one of the Kingdoms would be utterly defeated. But on each of these occasions, a mysterious force would arrive and save them from utter defeat. The kings, distracted by war, never questioned the aid; they were simply happy to have it.

Stranger still, anyone who expressed more than a casual interest in this force didn't last long. Which is why I had packed quickly and quietly, before I began my drawing.

The runes were complicated and had to be written precisely. It was a teleportation spell. If a symbol was written badly or if my calculations were off; then I could arrive in the wrong place; if I arrived at all. The books had been very clear on the dangers of magic; there were graphic illustrations of mages that had gotten sloppy.

Three symbols remained when I heard a clatter on the other side of the door. I had stationed a guard in front of it; but he was surely dead. Forces powerful enough to keep four kingdoms at war were strong enough to infiltrate any castle to assassinate their enemies.

I couldn't tell my father or anyone else. The risk to them would be too great. Instead, I would become an exile, the coward who ran away from home. If that was the price that needed to be paid, then I would pay it. As the door burst open, I finished the last symbol and whispered a word of power. Light shone around me and when it was done, I was in a new place.

I had miscalculated the coordinates.

For a moment, I was suspended in air, above the tree. Then gravity took over. I fell, hitting branch after branch, before landing in a bush. The rustling of leaves echoed around me.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
— Marcel Proust