z

Young Writers Society

Welcome to Camp Half-Blood (Accepting)

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:16 am
Sassafras says...

First of everything, the entirety of this post has basically been written by @Noelle so thanks to her, she is our queen. We're just bringing it back for another run of fun.

*clicks play-back on the recorder*

Background:

(This takes place just after the Titan War although none of the characters from the books, like Percy and Annabeth and all them, will be in this. We'll just pretend they don't exist.)

It's the beginning of another wonderful summer at Camp Half-Blood. Mr. D is playing pinochle with some satyrs, the Apollo cabin is showing off their basketball skills, Pelus the dragon is guarding the golden fleece, the Ares cabin is picking a fight with the Hermes cabin because they stole their sleeping bags. Basically, it's a normal summer.

And then there's you. Maybe you're a veteran at camp or you've just arrived sometime in the past year. Maybe you've just crossed the boundaries of camp and you haven't even been claimed yet.

But no matter who you are and who your godly parent is, we hope that your stay here at Camp Half-Blood is enjoyable and educational. It is in our sincerest hopes that you do not die or get burned on the rock wall (watch out for the lava).

Map of the Camp

A Typical Day at Camp:

8:00-9:00 ~ Breakfast
9:00-10:30 ~ Ancient Greek
10:30-11:00 ~ Lunch Prep
11:00-12:00 ~ Archery
12:00-12:30 ~ Greek Mythology
12:30-13:30 ~ Lunch
13:30-15:30 ~ Weapon Making
15:30-17:00 ~ Cabin Clean-up
17:00-18:00 ~ Free time
18:00-19:00 ~ Dinner
19:00-21:00 ~ Volleyball
21:00-22:00 ~ Campfire sing-along

The Gods of Olympus:

Zeus - God of the sky. His symbol is the eagle. Children of Zeus have power over lightning and can even "fly" by manipulating the air to carry them.

Hera - Goddess of marriage and families. Her symbol is the cow. Since she's the goddess of marriage, she does not have any demi-god children.

Poseidon - God of the sea. His symbol is the trident. Children of Poseidon have power over all things having to do with water.

Demeter - Goddess of agriculture. Her symbol is a corn plant. Children of Demeter are very skilled at gardening.

Ares - God of war. His symbol is a wild boar. Children of Ares are skilled in fighting and have quick tempers. Don't mess with them.

Athena - Goddess of wisdom and war. Her symbol is the owl. Children of Athena are intelligent and very good strategists.

Apollo - God of archery, music, poetry, prophecy and medicine. His symbol is the lyre. Children of Apollo are skilled archers and have perfect aim.

Artemis - Goddess of the moon and the hunt. She is the leader of the Hunters, a group of girls who have been granted immortality and sworn off boys in order to serve and fight with Artemis. Her symbols are the moon and the deer. Artemis does not have any demi-god children.

Hephaestus - God of blacksmiths and fire. His symbol is a hammer. Children of Hephaestus are skilled builders and can fix almost anything.

Aphrodite - Goddess of love and beauty. Her symbol is the dove. Children of Aphrodite are obsessed with their appearance and the appearance of others. But don't underestimate them, they can fight if it comes to it.

Hermes - God of the roadways, travelers, merchants and thieves. He's also the messenger to the gods. His symbol is the caduceaus. Children of Hermes are skilled at many different things and like to steal, although they don't necessarily steal from the other campers.

Dionysus (Mr. D) - God of wine. He is the director at Camp Half-Blood. His symbol is a grape vine. Children of Dionysus are skilled when it comes to growing vines and always enjoy a good party.

Hades - God of the Underworld. His symbol is the helm of darkness, a hat which can make him invisible. Children of Hades have power over the dead spirits of the Underworld. In the books, Nico D'Angelo was able to call skeletons out of the earth to fight in the war.

Already Established Characters You'll Find At Camp:

Argus - head of security. He had eyes covering his entire body.

Rachel Dare - also known as the Oracle. She stops by every so often and may even blurt out a prophecy.

Naiads - water maidens who live in lakes and rivers.

Dryads - tree spirits that live in the forest. Satyrs are in love with them and can be found chasing the spirits until they turn back into trees.

Satyrs - upper body of a human, but lower body of a goat. They are protectors and head out to find new demi-gods to bring back to camp.

Rules:

Spoiler! :
1. All YWS SB rules apply
2. No cussing. Rick doesn't do it so we won't either.
3. No god modding.
4. Don't kill off other characters unless they want you to. I know that people don't usually die at Camp Half-Blood on a normal day, but there might be invasions or battles, you never know. And you know some people die on quests, so if there's a quest (wink, wink) there's always a possibility of that. But try and keep everyone alive. Try not to fall into the lava pit under the rock wall.
5. No minimum word count for posts. Write as much as you think you need. Just try not to make it too short or too long.
6. All non SB posts should go in the DT. The link is below.
7. All camp activities are organized by me. Winners for things such as capture the flag and chariot races will be decided by a number system. I will give more information at that time.
8. You can have more than one character, but no more than two.
9. Three days out here will equal one day in the SB. That way we can get everyone's posts in and have more time to finish the capture the flag games and all that.
10. Have fun!!

Cabin Openings:
Spoiler! :
Zeus

Poseidon
1. Jacob Alder - EzioAuditorre

Hades
1. Cheer Melancholy - AraAkachi1

Ares

Athena
1. Mario Salvatore - Skyguy

Apollo
1. Mercy Rasalondo - Dante

Aphrodite
1. Ella Pond - Sunshine

Hephaestus

Demeter

Dionysus
1. Riley Jay - ReiseP

Hermes
1. Serenity Slaine - Ladyofthedeathroses

Eris
1. Jolene Caster - Stellabeam

Harmonia
1. Melody Caster - Stellabeam

Artemis

Hera

Camper Profile

Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
[b]Name: [/b]
[b]Age: (12-19)[/b]
[b]Parents: (Mortal and god)[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Brief history:[/b]
[b]Favorite Weapon:[/b]
[b]Magical Item (if you have one):[/b]
[b]Up for love:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

Joooin Usssss!

Any questions go to either myself or Dante, your humble co-leader. Actually, don't ask me. I don't know anything.
Last edited by Sassafras on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:25 am, edited 7 times in total.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:05 am
Cheetah says...

Hey there, I'll submit a profile tomorrow but I was wondering do you have to reserve spots? If so I'd like to reserve a spot for daughter of Artemis. Thanks! :)
And passersby who heard his echoing laughter wondered what kind of grief man had to go through before he could laugh so free.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:07 am
KingLucifer says...

Cheetah wrote:Hey there, I'll submit a profile tomorrow but I was wondering do you have to reserve spots? If so I'd like to reserve a spot for daughter of Artemis. Thanks! :)

No.
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

Reviews: 0
Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:10 am
Icleminiangel says...

can you only have one person per cabin then. if you do then i would like poiseden but if you can have more than one apollo would be awesome thanks

161 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:08 am
Sassafras says...

Riley Jay

Riley rolled out of bed with a long yawn. First day of camp, which meant that all of the regulars - people like her who had to stay at the camp for good - were about to be bullied into cleaning and making the place perfect for the first attenders. The Dionysus cabin was empty, as usual on the first day. All the other children had long since moved on. Last summer had seen the lowest number of children in the cabin, but Riley had an inching suspicion that there were going to be more newbies this time around. She could only name a few for sure that would be coming back from last summer, her older brothers and sisters, but mostly it was going to be a surprise. She didn't mind surprises.

A smirk slipped onto her face as she remembered some of the Aphrodite kids that would be returning. The expression widened at the thought of the new ones. Yes, she was going to have a lot of fun. With a grunt, she swung her legs over the edge of the bed, and hopped down. After ruffling under the bed a bit she found one of her bottles of homemade wine. After taking a long swig, she was ready for the day.

--

"Riley, quick, hurry and move to the entrance. The newbies should be coming in soon and you're on greeting duty."

"Again, but daddy you put me there last time!"

Dionysus frowned up at Riley and crossed his arms.

"What did I tell you about calling me that? And there's no way I'm putting you back into the kitchen. Not after what happened last year."

"Oh come on," Riley groaned. "Those freshies needed to loosen up."

"Entrance!"

"Fine!"

She starred down the smaller man for only a few seconds before her mask broke and she burst into laughter.

"All right, but only because you asked nicely."

---

She only had to grab the first group. Other veterans were waiting on standby to greet the other ones that came in. Riley had only just made it to the entrance when the first camper stepped up.

"Welcome back," she greeted while shamelessly eyeing the camper.

She vaguely recognized the face, but knew they'd been here before.

"I'm Riley, if you need anything you come to me."

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:01 am
Sunshine says...

Ella Pond- Aphrodite

Camp Half-Blood!

The place where every demi-god is forced to go at least every Summer in order to not, like, die. Last year was a bit of a weird experience, as I'm not the type to quickly get over the whole 'hey look, the hot foreign exchange student has goat legs!' thing. I do, however, like the way the strawberries smell on the breeze, and the taste of wine in the air. In smells like hope and a bit of crushed smoothie dreams.

The line of introducer's throw me a tad off. I look back down the hill, where I know my Dad will be speeding away, through the narrow roads. I look, but I can't even see his car anymore. I roll my bottom lip under my teeth, tasting the cheap lip gloss. It's the first day of this party, and I'm here to make an impression, but not necessarily an expensive one.

"Welcome back," I eye the speaker, a ghost-like wisp, with surprise. "I'm Riley, if you need anything you come to me."

She's shameless. I've seen her type, the dyed-girls, outside of Camp, and they're beautiful little creatures.

"Dear, I doubt I'll need any help. If I do, I'm not sure if you're the most responsible one to ask." It's a tad mean, but I've learned from last year; people expect me to be so.

She laughs, a twinkling bell of a noise. Her eyes seem to meander about me, in a way that could be almost uncomfortable. I don't have quite enough self-esteem as I should like, and make a check list about myself. British flag t-shirt with leather jacket? Check. Short white shorts? Done. Sparkling eyeliner. Gotcha.

"I'm sure you need my help far more than you think you do."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I like you. What's your name?"

"Ella Pond."

She offers her white arm, and I wrap my own darker one about it. "Like a name in a fairytale, right?" She winks. "Why don't we just pretend you're a first year, and I can lead you to your cabin."

We walk, though I am sure she does not know where she is guiding me to. "Do you know where we're going, love? Aphrodite."

I can feel the turn of the earth beneath her feet. "Mm. It's easy. You follow the pink brick road of perfume."

I smell the air, and suppose she's right. The smell of strawberries is gone, replaced by the intoxicating, occasionally foul, smell of mixed perfume. My own luggage, with far too much in it, drags behind me, grinding up the earth.

Riley looks around at it, and picks it up.

"Careful! That's heavy!"

She seems to struggle under the weight, but smiles at me. "It's not that bad. Was driving me nuts, though."

We hit the cabin, as pink and fanciful as I remember, and Riley drops the luggage with a thud.

I decide that I like the wisp of the girl.

"After I settle in, you want to hang out?"
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:52 am
KingLucifer says...

Mercy Rasalondo - The Baddest Apollo Child, ever.

Mercy kept her wits about her as she rode the bus, Camp Half Blood was so close, yet in reality, it was so far away. Her body yearned for a bed, the three years she had been gone and without help, her father must truly be looking over her. Mercy soon came to the outskirts of the town and soon marched to the entrance to Half Blood Hill. Other people gathered around her as they made there way up the hill, veterans and newbies all around.

Mercy's scar proved the hardships she faced were not easy. In fact, they proved that she was no coward and was strong and ready to face anything that she came across. Now she was home, Camp Half Blood, her bow on her back and a quiver empty of arrows. Her blade stained with the golden dust of defeated monster after monster, she was returning as a Hero.

As she reached the top of Half Blood Hill, and around the tree. She was greeted by multiple campers, all cheering yelling greetings new and old. But I see no familiar faces among the crowd, I push my way past and then finally, I see it. Camp Half Blood, a beautiful and memorable sight to behold. All the memories Mercy had, all the time she spent here, training, waiting, bidding her time until the Fates felt she was ready to take down her enemies. Then came a girl running up the hill in jeans and Camp Half Blood's signature orange T-shirt.

"Welcome back!" she greeted, "I'm Riley, if you need anything you come to me."

"Do me the favor then, go to Chiron and tell him Mercy Rasalondo has returned, I'll be sure to stop by the Big House later once I've settled in," I said.

The girl, Riley, seemed a little surprised by my request. I soon made my way down the hill and into the camp, I needed to stop at the cabin to claim my bed and refill my stock.
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

Random avatar

Reviews: 32
Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:27 pm
ShadowHunter says...

I could hear the other campers starting to arrive, and I rolled over in bed. I had been assigned something to do with getting the camp ready for them, but I didn't care. I only ever did what I wanted to do. I sort of doubted that most campers even knew I was here.

Finally having enough of my bed, I slowly inced out. I dressed in my usual attire, camp t-shirt and jeans. Then, I made my way to my chair. It was positioned just so today so that I could watch the steady stream of newbies walking in. Don't get me wrong, there where plenty of old faces too, but they where too easy to predict. The new faces posed a challenge to me, and I could never resist a challenge.

I tried to guess what cabin each person would be in as they walked by me. Athena, Aphrodite, Hermes, Hermes, Apollo, Ares. I said to myself as each one passed by me unsuspectingly. As I was about to take my leave of my window, there was this one Aphrodite looking kid who glanced at my window. I tried to dive out of the way, but I wasn't sure if it worked.

My nerves sot from my close call, I made a hasty retreat from the window and everywhere around the window.

"Calm, you are calm. They didn't see you, how could they. Your'e fine" I told myself out loud. Somehow, my voice echoing around the empty cabin made it seem emptier than ever before.

Needing to get out of the cabin, I waited until there was a lull in the activity of campers around my door and quickly fled towards the woods, one of the only places I felt comfortable at camp.

When I had run far enough in, I slumped against a tree and tried to control my breathing and my quivering muscles.
It is not the dark, but the unknown that we fear.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:15 am
Sassafras says...

Riley Jay

Riley let out a laugh as she studied the girl again. For some reason, she couldn't figure out the name, which was strange because she made it her personal duty to keep tabs on all children of Aphrodite.

"I'm always up to hang out, especially with you, but I'm on duty. Dad'll kill me if he finds me slacking. We'll catch up later, I'll make sure of it."

She turned and left the girl, Ella, a wave. She'd love to lounge around with the girl, maybe pull out a bottle and wander off somewhere, but she couldn't ignore the work she had to do. Reluctantly, she ran up to the entrance to greet the campers. Out of breath, she sputtered out the usual greeting.

"Welcome! I'm Riley, if you need anything you come to me."

"Do me the favor then, go to Chiron and tell him Mercy Rasalondo has returned, I'll be sure to stop by the Big House later once I've settled in."

"Wait... what?"

But the girl was already gone. Riley looked after her in confusion. She'd never seen her face before at the camp, but the girl looked younger than her. No way someone like that had escaped her eyes for so long. She would have maybe pursued further information on the girl if she'd hadn't been so rude. Riley wrinkled her nose in distaste and turned back towards the entrance. The girl might have been cute, but that was no excuse to try and boss her around. She can wait to have her message delivered, or deliver it herself.

But duties were duties... and if the girl knew Chiron then she'd obviously been here before... and if the message was important she'd get into trouble for not delivering it.

"Shit..."

Riley was just turning to leave when someone approaching caught her eye.

"Hi I'm Riley," she greeted in a rush. "Um, welcome to camp! If you're new follow me and I'll help you in a bit. If not find your cabin sorry I've gotta go!"

With that she waved, smiled, and went off to tell Chiron that Mercy was here... whatever that meant.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:18 am
ArahAkachi1 says...

Cheer Melancholy

Camp Half-Blood. What was this suppose to be? Was it some sort of foster home for me? That wouldn't make since, because if I was being sent to a foster home, then why was it for others like me. What had Mom meant by "Others like me" anyway? I shook my head, ignoring the ache in my feet. It had been a couple of days since I put Mom in the hospital, and I left immediately for camp.

It was when I finally found the camp that my eyes lit up. Maybe I would find someone who could help me further understand what was happening to me. Like how could I possibly be the son of Hades? Gods didn't exist, did they? And if they did, why didn't he stay to help Mom with me?

I climbed the hill to see a stream of other kids, their ages varying, also climbing the hill. At first, all I saw was a tree at the top, but then the air seemed the ripple. When the air calmed, I saw a gate that had Camp Half-Blood written on it. I ran towards, hoping to find someone to help.

"Welcome to Camp Half-Blood! I can tell you're new. My name is Riley and you can come to me if you ever need anything," a girl said to me as soon as I reached the gate. She smiled as she said it and I faltered. I had to be careful. This was a new place, and a new life for me.

"My name is Cheer, and is this Camp Half-Blood, the camp for uh..." I started to say as I blanked out. I looked at her confused before trying again. "My name is Cheer and my mom told me to come here. She said you would know what to do with me after I told you Hades was my father..."

I looked at her shaking and breathing hard. I wasn't use to all this running and I guessed I would have too. I waited for her reply, leaning back and forth on my legs nervously.
Writing your name can lead to writing sentences. And then the next thing you'll be doing is writing paragraphs, and then books. And then you'll be in as much trouble as I am!

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:10 pm
Ladyofthedeathroses says...

Serenity Slaine
Serenity walked in silence through Camp Half-Blood and leaned against the tree watching the campers enter the camp. "Welcome. Hey. Hello." She said smiling at them all. She could understand their nervousness even being away from the camp for a few hours frazzled her nerves. "Welcome to Camp Half-Blood! I can tell you're new. My name is Riley and you can come to me if you ever need anything." Riley's voice sounded and Serenity glanced over at the person she was addressing. Serenity straightened and rested her hand against the tree briefly before heading back to her cabin. She'd already claimed her bunk like she did every year and climbed onto it opening her bag. Serenity found her book and opened it starting to read. 'I think this year will be interesting.' She thought and smiled at the prospect.
"You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:36 pm
Iggy says...

Mia Hawthorne

If one of the campers happened to be looking past the boarders of Camp Half Blood, towards the tree where the Golden Fleece rested, they'd see the dragon awaken. They'd see him look around uneasily and let out a steam of fire as a gust of wind shot past him. They'd see the dragon teether uncertainly, then sink down and rest its head on the ground, much like a dog.

If they were looking, they would perhaps catch a glimpse of Mia as she dashed towards the Pelus dragon and, using her goddess-given abilities, calmed the dragon and was able to enter camp without being scorched.

Once past the boundaries, she slowed down to a casual stroll and took in her surroundings curiously. When was the last time she'd been here? Three, four years ago? Everything looked different, especially the new cabins, designed and built for perfection.

Even the Artemis cabin was looking amazing, and Mia nodded in approval as she entered. Fur rugs on the floor, vacant of all electricity, lit by the moon's light. The windows were cracked to allow the breeze to come inside, and there was even a section of the room dedicated to worshiping Artemis.

"Very pleased." Mia spoke aloud, on behalf of her goddess, and placed her bag onto a bed, claiming it as hers. It looked like she'd be sleeping alone tonight.

Turning on her heel, Mia left the cabin and headed to find Chiron. On her way, she found herself following a young woman who was also looking for Chiron and Mia politely allowed her to go in and announce the arrival of Mercy. Mercy? Mia's nose crinkled in confusion. Why would the demi-god threaten her caretaker?

Once the girl left, Mia slid into Chiron's room and nodded respectfully to the centaur, one of the only men she could stand in the world. "Artemis has sent me here as a.. vacation."

Chiron's eyebrows narrowed in disbelief. "I see."

Mia nodded once.

"Oh, don't lie to me, Hunter of Artemis," he scoffed. "I know the goddess sent you here to see if we were also honoring her, which as you'll see tonight, we are."

"Mhm. I never claimed otherwise." Mia responded.

Just then, the door opened and in came Dionysus, who immediately exchanged dirty looks with Mia. "Oh, it's you."

"The pleasure is mine, Lord Dionysus." Mia said sarcastically, dipping into a low bow.

Mr. D's eyes flashed and he turned a faint red. "Hunter, I'm warning you.."

"You cannot harm me. I'm immortal. Not only that, but I am protected by my goddess." Mia spoke, turning on her heel to leave. "Good day, gentlemen. I'll see you both at the Pavillion tonight."
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

161 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:03 pm
Sassafras says...

Riley Jay

Riley was just about to turn away when someone came trampling out of the forest and up to her. She was just about to be annoyed until she caught site of the person. New camper. Riley's brain immediately kicked into high gear. She made it her personal business to know every single face at the camp, and examined the fresh meat with a mischievous glint in her eyes. Poor thing looked exhausted. She put on her best smile and gave him a warm greeting.

"Welcome to Camp Half-Blood! I can tell you're new. My name is Riley and you can come to me if you ever need anything."

"My name is Cheer, and is this Camp Half-Blood, the camp for uh... My name is Cheer and my mom told me to come here. She said you would know what to do with me after I told you Hades was my father..."

Riley's smile only grew as the boy, Cheer, kept talking. He was totally clueless. Perfect. They were always the most easily manipulated. She made a sympathetic noise and gestured for him to follow her.

"You just stay close to me darling and I'll help you get settled. Hades, huh? Well I think you're the first new one today! I'd claim a bed quick. You don't want to get stuck with bottom bunk, trust me. So how old are you?"

"Thirteen."

The grin on Riley's face widened even more.

"So young! Well you're going to love it here, trust me. Hey, if you ever need a tour I'm not hard to find. The cabins are right down this hill. I'd walk you there but I'm needed somewhere else right now. Hope to see you around."

Cheer looked warily down the hill and then back up at Riley before slowly walking off.

'Yeah,' Riley thought. 'I'm going to have to keep a tab on that one. The newbies are so easy to bend.'

--

After leaving Chiron his message, Riley stalked out of the offices and made her way quickly towards the beach. Camp didn't officially start until tomorrow when everyone had time to settle in, and she was completely content with relaxing by the bay. The sand felt nice between her toes and the sun was warm on her face.

"I should have invited that Ella girl down. That would have made things interesting," she spoke out loud to herself.

She stretched out and folded her arms behind her head. As her eyes closed, she made a promise to herself to find out the details on that Mercy girl. But for now it was time to relax. She figured she could hide away from her duties for at least a little while until daddy found out. And she'd treasure every minute of it.

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:41 pm
AfterTheStorm says...

Cassandra (Cassie) Krawe: Fire of a Nightmare -- Prequel

Dreams are weird. Mine began like this:

An unnatural chill swept over me, and suddenly the temperature drastically dropped in the expansive room. I shivered then took in a deep breath. When I released it, a silver wisp escaped my lips before slowly disappearing into the air. I was- in one word- freezing.

Darkness shrouded most of the room from my vision, but I could still make out a few features around me. An antique chandelier hung from the vaulted ceiling and it cast odd shadows across the rock floor. Candelabras embraced the stone walls, all sporting lit torches. A pair of oak double doors proudly stood on the wall opposite of me, each door guarded by massive marble statues of men in… bed sheets? Huh. Oh, wait. Never mind. The statues were actually wearing togas. (It’s hard to tell a difference.) The wall to my left however was not made of rock like the other sides of the room, and instead was entirely covered by mirror. I gazed at my reflection curiously, noticing I was wearing by pajamas. Double huh.

Slowly and warily, I took a few tentative steps towards the mirrored wall, my bare feet stinging as I moved on the icy rock floor. The chill spread in tendrils with every footfall, the iciness gradually mounting. Looking into the mirror, I gasped when I realized how pale I looked and I swear I was turning a light shade of blue from the cold. Shivering once more, I folded my arms across my chest in an attempt to maintain what little body heat I had. Suddenly, a man cloaked in darkness appeared behind me in the reflection, his towering height and lanky figure scaring the crap out of me. I spun around quickly, but no one was there. I was alone in the strange room again.

“Hello?” I called, hoping that I wouldn’t receive a response. But of course I did.

A deep rumble vibrated throughout the space, sounding almost like an amused laugh. “Hello, indeed.”

I turned about, trying to discover the direction of the gravelly voice. Reaching for a candelabrum, I yanked a torch free from its hold and brandished it in front of me. The warmth from the dancing flames appeared to welcome me as I gripped the torch near my face. I walked toward the darkened parts of the room, allowing the torch’s light to illuminate the dimness and chase away any unseen terrors lurking there.

I tried to even my voice to what I hoped seemed like a calm whisper. “Who’s there?”

“Why so anxious to discover who I am, little Cassandra?”

I cringed when the man’s low voice mentioned my name. What was going on? I’m dreaming, I thought to myself. That’s all. I’ll just wake up, and I’ll be back in bed. In vain, I closed my eyes tightly then reopened them, praying that I had escaped this nightmare. However, it didn’t happen.

As if reading my thoughts of leaving this rapidly growing nightmare, the voice- who I’ve decided to call Herbert- stated, “How rude. I am not finished speaking with you.” He laughed again, if you can even call it a laugh, and the stone room trembled as the booming sound resonated off of the walls.

Since it was only a dream, I shouldn’t have been frightened by Herbert. But in truth I was scared to death. Still brandishing my trusty torch, I spun to face the opposite side of the room then dashed towards the double doors frantically. With my free hand I pulled the large handle on one of the doors, attempting to pull it open and flee the room.

“No, no, no. I do not think so,” Herbert cooed, his voice drenched with malignance. “Do not try to escape my presence.” As he finished saying this, the two doors abruptly disappeared, and I was left staring at a blank wall. Really? Seriously? Was my immediate, irritated mental thought. Of course.

A hand tightly gripped my shoulder expectantly, sending chills down every inch of my body. I dropped my torch, spooked. It was a death grip that would make even the Hulk proud.

“You are still so young. So clueless to your true meaning of existence,” Herbert whispered in my ear. “What a shame-”

He never got to finish what he was saying because my instincts took over, and I kicked him right in the shin with the back of my heel. Herbert pulled away from me. Looking back on it, I realize that I didn’t really do any damage to him, but I startled him enough to give me the chance to snatch the torch once more.
This time as I held the torch in my hands, I felt a surge of power run through me. I confronted the shadowed man. He was covered mostly in webs of darkness so I couldn’t make out his face, but I had a feeling that I wouldn’t like what I saw if the shadows fled from him.

For a brief moment we both stared at each other, then he came at me in one swift movement. Instinctively I swung the torch at Herbert. Flames suddenly swarmed around my hands, ran up my arms, then engulfed my shoulders. I cried out, then smacked my opponent with the torch before releasing it again. The torch clattered to the floor as I recoiled in shock, staring surprised at my arms. I waited for the burning sensation that I knew should fill my body but it never came. The flames dancing along my hands and arms didn’t hurt me at all. They instead made me feel excited, strong, and alive. The fire was perfectly harmless to me. Warmth coursed through my veins as I felt a tug at my gut, and a powerful force ripped its way out of my hands. The fire came from my hands. My hands. It was so strange! Fire shot towards Herbert, encircling him and building a barrier of heat around the specter.

I still can’t explain how it happened, but I was controlling the inferno. The flames surrounding Herbert obeyed every movement of my fingers and mind as if it were a part of me. Power and strength raged up my body as the warmth of the blaze radiated off of me.

Excited, I shouted “Ha! Take that, Herbert!” as more flames rushed down my arms to my torso and legs, fully overcoming me.

Then as quickly as the fire had begun, it was suddenly gone. All of my strength was extinguished with the inferno. I dropped to my knees, feeling sick, weak, and icy once more.

“You already tire?” I heard Herbert say mockingly. “How pitiful. I thought for a few moments just then that you actually would be able to control yourself, and not overexert your powers. Do not push your strength, Cassandra. But I suppose that you are still learning.”

I took in a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heartbeat. “Who are you?” I looked up to the man standing unharmed before me.

“You will find out soon enough,” he responded coldly, his voice melting away to a hushed whisper. “Little hero, do not let me down. Go to Camp Half-Blood.”
And with that, I woke up with three words on my mind: Camp Half-Blood.
"And after the storm..." ~Mumford and Sons

You can't have a rainbow without a little rain.

Got Squills?
Proverbs 31:25

Spoiler! :
Made you look.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:01 pm
ArahAkachi1 says...

Cheer Melancholy

After talking with Riley and wandering around the Camp a little, I told myself this place wouldn't be all that bad. There were all the war-like activities which interested me. Would I actually manage to fit in in a place like this? When I got to the cabin of my Father's, it was almost empty.

At first I thought I was the only one, but after a few minutes, other kids started to wander in depressingly. I went to a random bunk and put my small backpack on the top, and looked around at the other faces.

Spoiler! :
Sorry so short, I just had no inspiration for this post at the time.
Writing your name can lead to writing sentences. And then the next thing you'll be doing is writing paragraphs, and then books. And then you'll be in as much trouble as I am!

“It doesn’t matter what you are, it only matters what you do. It’s your choice.”
— Sam Winchester