Young Writers Society

Guardians of Tranquility

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:17 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Inside the Citadel of Gor Nathal, the great tyrant Arzor looked down at the map.

Gor Nathal was at the center of the map; surrounded to the East and West by mountains and nestled in a valley. The Citadel was in a choke point in the Valley and cut the North from the South. It had grown wealthy as a center of commerce, with the great nations of the South and the North vying for his favor.

There was only one problem.

To the West was the Tranquil Coast. Gor Nathal was landlocked; which was a problem since some traders had switched over to traveling by ship instead of through Gor Nathal. If Gor Nathal was going to expand its influence, it would need a coastline.

The easiest way to the Coast was to head North or South, but there were strong nations there. Arzor's Legions of Doom were excellent, but he had no interest in taking on either of those nations in a fight.

Instead, he looked at the Tranquil Coast. His scouts reported that there were old paths to the Coast, but that they had been largely erased by the passage of time. Wild beasts and tribes of primitive races now inhabited the path, which lead through forests and mountains, to the steep cliffs that characterized the Tranquil Coast. The ones that made it at all.

The crossing was the most difficult part; but after that, his scouts reported that it would be relatively easy to seize a good chunk of the coast. They reported finding nothing but glorified fishing villages. It was an easy choice.

Who would stop him?

Spoiler! :
Our characters will. Please create characters. Dragons, Vampires, and Half-breed characters are not likely to be approved (unless you've got a heck of a convincing profile.)

General Storybook rules are in effect and I reserve the right to add more.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

863 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:51 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Pleasant Harbor was a quiet place. A natural harbor made it a perfect settlement for ships to get shelter from the storms that occasionally battered the coast. In the mornings, small fishing boats would leave the harbor to fish.

High above the town, from his balcony, Marlon watched them leave. It had been a long night; but that just made the mornings welcome. The day would be busy.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:15 pm
View Likes
KingLucifer says...

Mercy Rasado - On the Road to Tranquil Coast

I shift in my saddle as my horse travails the road, I had an easy assignment. Go to Tranquil Coast and clear out any possible opposition that may pose a threat to Lord Arzor. I was nearly within within an hours travail of the coast, scouts reported it was a natural harbor perfect for Ships to take shelter for Storms. It was an easy choice, take over the villages and make it clear that the coast was now under Lord Arzor's control. But I didn't like this, I didn't like Arzor and his tyrant rule, but what could I do? it's not like anyone was willing to oppose him.

I looked to the sky and saw an overcast, it would be a brilliant day, perfect for fishing. With the reins in my hand I urged my horse forward and she began to gallop moving faster along the path. My unit behind me urged there stallions forward, we're riding towards Tranquil Coast the sooner I got this done the quicker I could get back. I just hope that there won't be any trouble.
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

Reviews: 0
Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:49 pm
View Likes
Skyguy says...

Gray broght in the firewood. Misty smiled as he placed it next to the fire." Love, im getting old." He complained. She laughed and turned towards him. He smiled at her potruding belly and sat the ax against the wall as he took her in his arms. She cuddled next to him. He sighed and sat her on the table and kissed her." None of that!" She giggled. He smirked" you werent complaining last time." He answered. She stared at him. " well, I wasnt 7 monthes pregnant then!" She retorted. He grinned and let her slip away from him. She puth the bowls on the table." On no, not today!" He mumbled. Misty turned towards him." Gray, I know the police chief is a pervy old man, and his 20 year old wife is in love with you, but you know today is the harvest, and everyone is celebrating." Then almost silntly, she added," Gray, I found the uniform. And your old weapons." Gray sighed. Misty spoke." Gray, I need to know, do you still want to kill!? Do you feel that bloodlust, anytime you pick up a weapon!?" He turned towards her." Misty-" he started but she glared, trembling.

"No, I dont want you too! I dont want o worry about... losing you. I dont want our child to be fatherless!" Gray glared." Ya, cause fatherlees childrn turn into killers, just like me." Misty paled." Love, I didnt-" he whirled around." You didnt mean to bring up that my fathwr was an assassin before me, and that I killed him!" He left the house as Misty began sobbing and reached for Gray." I didnt mean it like that!"

Gray stood outside, trembling. The love of his life, sometimes was the deepest blade that cut. She was the most dangerous weapon, but he loved her dearly. He turned and headed back to the house, ready to apologize.
I will never give up... I will never give up! As long as I'm still breathing in this world... as long as I'm still standing in this world I will never give up!

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:02 pm
View Likes
NicoleBri says...

Brooklynn

Traveling by horse took way to long. I was headed out to Tranquil Coast to, well I hadn't quiet understood why. Hoping I would run into someone, I made my horse speed up. There was a few water puddles along the way so that my horse had a drink and I got a break from my butt hurting. "Lady, you sure do hurt my butt." I say looking at my much like a stallion horse. She neighed. Then rubbed against me. "Maybe we feel the same about each other, I'm pretty sure sitting on your back for hours hurts you too." I say looking at her with a smile.

Neighing, she got back to drinking her water and eating some food before we got back on the trip. I sat on the ground and just looked upon. The sky was beautiful but it was so hot out today. "I don't guess we are going to meet up with anyone.." I say looking at Lady. Her neighs made me smile, I knew I would be okay as long as I had my baby horse with me. (She isn't really a baby, but she is my baby.)

When she got done, it was time for us to keep going. At least we haven't ran into any trouble yet. I sighed. "Hey look Lady, there is someone up there!" I mutter. She neighs in response and I get her to go faster.

"Hello. Are you by any chance headed to Tranquil?" I ask the person.

Take it from here anyone.
Words are a lens to focus one's mind.

- Ayn Rand

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Jaega

It's one thing thought Lor'Thalel Jaeger, to sneak up on a woman at bath time. She shook her head. It's another entirely, she spat on the ground, to try and steal her food in the process.

Jaega was hauling herself down the undergrown trail that connected small fishing village A with small forest village B, bypassing the hive of trolls, C, that would no doubt make quick work of her getaway prize. She hated open trails, but smarts trumped wants anyday, and that day was no exception. The annoyance of the road was already on her: another person following behind the elven rogue from a distance. She could smell the horse from there.

"Hello. Are you by any chance headed to Tranqui--"

It was time to have some fun.

Jaega turned on her heels, dropping the muscular, disembodied arm (her trophy of her kill--whether or not she planned to eat it was still up for grabs--and pulled her twin daggers from her waist, vanishing into the speed of the greenery around her. In whispers, she counted.

One

Two

ThreeFourFiveSixSevenEightNine

strikes against the horse's saddle, riling the stallion and bucking the rider to the ground. "Lady!" she called out, but Jaega had grabbed her up, strung her up against a tree with a dagger against her throat.

"Why follow me? Why risk your life by taking this trail today?"
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:11 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Marlon Grey began his day in a very particular way. He was always up early and after the ships had left port; he would move down into harbor below. The houses he passed were all painted cheery colors; with flowered terraces. Around him, the villagers would go about their daily routines.

The baker had his tray like always and Marlon purchased a large sweet roll from him. Next, Marlon acquired a paper from the newspaperman. Despite the busy time of morning, Marlon found no trouble getting around. Just before the main plaza, Marlon ducked into a little cafe. He had barely sat down when a cup of coffee appeared in front of him.

Marlon picked up the paper and began reading. He had finished an article about a local bar fight when he felt someone looking at him. He lowered his paper, but the only one present was the waitress. Marlon returned to his paper and presently the sensation returned. Marlon lowered the paper once again and discretely surveyed the room, but the number had not changed.

Once again, Marlon returned to the paper. He finished the article and put the paper down. Marlon was surprised to see the waitress next to him.

"More coffee?" she asked. Marlon looked down at the mug, but the coffee in his mug had not been touched; as it hadn't cooled down properly. He turned to look at the waitress, a plain featured young lady. Their eyes met and Marlon found her eyes examining him. It lasted a mere moment, then Marlon spoke.

"I don't need any coffee," Marlon said quietly. "Why have you been staring at me?" The waitress blushed.

"I'm sorry. It's just that I've been wanting to ask you a question for sometime now," she said.

"Sit," Marlon said, gesturing to the chair. She looked around, before sitting. "What is your question?" Marlon asked.

"Is it true that you arrived in town from the mountain path?"

"Yes."

"How?"

"It's a long story."

46 Reviews

Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:56 am
View Likes
NicoleBri says...

Brooklynn

Born brave, I was never afraid of anything. The only thing I fear is well fear itself. I was born the daughter of a brave woman, and maybe that is how I feel so brave, even though in some cases... I shouldn't..

"Why follow me? Why risk your life by following this trail today?" came from the mouth of a lady I knew nothing of. She had some nerve to put a knife to my throat. I jerked out of her grip and an inch from being cut but I managed.

"How dare you put your hands on me ma'am. I will take this trail at my own risk. What's it to you anyways?" I say staring blankly.

Her little laughter just didn't even bother me. I guess she thought she was some villain. "I'm Brooklynn." I say to her and put out my hand to shake. The lady just stared at me for a moment before putting her hand out to shake mine. Before I knew it she sliced my hand.

Yanking back I grimace. "And I am Jaega." she said with a sly grin. She walked off and began going back towards the direction we were both going.

"People these days!" I say. Lady got a little startled but she still let me get on her. She was a strong horse, luckily she didn't get cut. "It's okay Lady." I tell her as I brush her mane with my hands. She neighed and we took off.

"Hee yah!" I yell and Lady went faster. I smiled when we finally passed up Jaega. "See you later rude ass!" I yell. My day was officially made.

- Ayn Rand

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:01 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

Jaega let out a silent hmph and trudged on towards the harbor town she'd set her sights on. If she didn't have enough reason to go before, getting back at that sassy saddle-back would certainly be enough incentive.

Hours later, after trudging through overgrowth and slicing a few troll throats, Lor'Thalel Jaeger arrived in Pleasant Harbor. The smell of salt air nipped at her nose, and she was overwhelmed with the stench of fish. Taking safe refuge in the inn, Jaega caught sight of a face she'd thought she'd never see again.

"Marlon The Goose Grey!" She laughed heartily and slapped a hand to her chest. "As if this day couldn't get better!" She threw her bag to the side, keel-hauling an old man, and sat herself down at Marlon's table from which the waitress fled.

"Dammit, that was a very important conversa--" He stopped with words on his tongue as he recognized her--the pointed ears, the dark lips, and the toxic green eyes. His expression turned grim. "Jaeger, what are you doing here?"

"Obviously I came to torment the poor boy who lost his second-place graduation to the anti-militant rogue." She pursed her lips. "After all, what's life without a little visit to put you in your place?"

She stretched her hands on the table. "I'll be honest with you, Goose." She looked to both sides and leaned in. "My hunting grounds have been upset. Paranoid refugees are fleeing to the forest villages, stirring up the trolls and the orcs. Even a few elven cities have been overrun by you...fleshy...breath...things." She snarled. "I came here to seek a little help in getting those 'refugees' out of my territory."

"A brave request for someone who was exil--"

Jaega put a finger to his lips and shook her head. She whispered, "No need to bring up petty differences, love. For all you know, Lor'Thalel is dead."

She got up from the table and kept her finger to his lips until he jerked away from her. She eased across the room and picked up her things. "Jaeger."

She turned her head to him, eyes cutting.

"Maybe we can arrange some business."
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

Reviews: 0
Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:35 pm
View Likes
Skyguy says...

Two days had passed since his arguement with Misty, and Gray was doing exactly what she feared. He rode alongside his brother, the brilliant knight, and a proven warrior. Gray wore the robes of the Assassin , and was with his brother on a manhunt." So this man killed, the Lord Regent Trayvon? He got passed nearly 40 well armed and well trained soldiers, but he wasnt part of the brotherhood?" Sir Galadrin glanced at his younger brother, the reputed Assassin, from whom none could escape." Does Misty know hwere you are?" Gray frowned." She knows enough." Micha sighed. "So she thinks that you no longer kill for money?" Gray wheeled his horse around.

"I have nothing else to give her! Im not a trader, nor a blacksmith. I kill any plant I touch! I have no income. Even the other villagers wonder what I do, because I take down my deers with a dagger, rarely a crossbow. They dont know who I am, what I am. And Misty, huh, she wouldnt be alive without my skills." Micha turned his horse around." Yes. You saved her from those slave traders. But, she loves the man Grayson Galadrin, not the Assassin Lord, Darken Carn. The Assassins have done well enough without the Assassin Lord. My brother, she knows your an assassin, but she loves you. I only need your help to track down this man, then I will never come to you again with a mission. She is to good a woman to let go. Run for Village police chief! Im sure the villagers will vote for you! You can use a sword well enough to be voted in. But let the Assassin in you go. Sever the ties to your past my brother, and live the future."

Gray glanced at his brother." The uniform she found wasnt he black one of Darken Carn. It was a regular one. I would be lynched if anyone knew.. . I will think on this brother. Now, were we not headed to Pleasant harbour to hunt down a man?" He kicked his horse into a gallop past Micah. Micah sighed and readjusted his shield, and kicked his charger forward, the giant war horse cantering after the thinner and more light horse.
I will never give up... I will never give up! As long as I'm still breathing in this world... as long as I'm still standing in this world I will never give up!

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:02 am
AnonymousPerson says...

As the sun drew near the horizon Risyr quickly but stealthily moved parallel to the path which he had been following for the past couple days. He had only encountered deer and other small game that had bounded away into the trees and semi-dense underbrush has he drew near. The sun dipped below the horizon and he decided that he could risk a fire tonight. He went about setting up camp and gathering firewood. As he settled down poking the fire with sticks causing sparks to leap into existence and then quickly dying within a matter of seconds. He periodically probed the fire with his stick puzzling how he was going to save The Coasts of Tranquil from that scheming devil Arzor. As the night grew old he retired to his sleeping roll and drifted off to fitful sleep. Risyr jerked awake from hearing rustling in the bushes nearby grabbing his dagger from underneath his bed and yanked it from its sheath and listened carefully to any disturbances from out side. As he listened intently he heard stealthy footsteps slowly circling his tent, Risyr slowly reached for his crossbow on the other side of his sleeping roll, since it was already strung and loaded he listened intently again, pointing the deadly weapon at the footsteps and called out, "Who goes there?" He gets no response except the silence as the figure stopped moving. The crossbow trained on the spot where he had last heard the footsteps, Risyr cast aside the tent flap and looked about to reveal nothing except darkness. As several tense seconds pass his eyes adjusted to the darkness he noticed disturbances such as grass pressed down, imprinted footsteps in the dirt, and some bark peeling off of trees unnaturally. As Risyr examines the surroundings as best he can in the lighting he realizes that the tyrant must be on to him, he gathers up what supplies he can quickly and moves away from the campsite regretting having that fire. The only thing Risyr could not figure out is, how could the tyrant know that he was planning sabotage and who could have tracked him as he often made false trails and doubled back often...

46 Reviews

Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:13 am
NicoleBri says...

Brooklynn

The long ride on Lady was one of the longest rides of my life. I hadn't ran into anything out of the ordinary besides the occasional deer. "Lady it might be time to stop for another night." I say looking at her. She neighed and I looked in front of us. It was a dark city ahead about less than a mile. "Well aren't you smart." I say patting Lady on her head as she neighed.

We sped up our riding and we finally came to what looked like a travel inn. "It is time for rest tonight lady. I hope you don't mind being outside." I say to her as I jump down. Luckily I came with a little cash on hand so I could get a room and finally sleep on a bed.

Lady neighed at me but I walked into the building. "Can I have a room for the night please?" I ask a lady at the counter. She handed me a key with a number on it. "You can pay tomorrow." she said looking at me. I was a little astonished at how she could trust someone to pay the next day when they could easily leave.

I smiled and walked out. My room was right in front of where I put lady, so that was a plus. I walked back into the building because I forgot to tell her about my horse. "Uhm ma'am is It okay if I leave my horse outside my door?" I asked her. She nodded and I was pleased. Sighing I walked back out.

Putting my bag in the room, I walked back out to see Lady and give her some food and drink before I called it a night. I turned to my right just looking and I spotted a lady walking towards me. Looking closely it was that Jaega girl I had seen earlier on that day. I rolled my eyes and continued with what I was doing.

"So you followed me now?" Jaega yelled from across the road. She was so ignorant but I never said a word. "Lady! I am talking to you!" Jaega yelled at me. I looked at her and giggled. "Yell at me again and see what happens." I say to her calmly.

- Ayn Rand

HONK
— The Golden Goose