z

Young Writers Society

Insane Sanity *Second Try* (STARTING SOON!)

254 Reviews

Reviews: 254
Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:20 pm
View Likes
Sonder says...

Liam Chase

I was just about to close the sketchbook when I heard a small cough in the doorway. I whirled around. It was Gus. Her eyes were wide with fear, staring at the book in my hands.
"Y-your not supposed t-to be in here." She stuttered, face flushed. "Anastasia s-said so..."
I took a deep breath, felt a smile working its way onto my face.
"Oh, I know what she said." I replied smoothly, grinning at her. An idea occurred to me.
"In fact, you know what, Gus?" She shook her head.
"Let's go see how 'Stasia likes seeing the book, okay?"
Sounds of struggle and hoarse shouts made their way up the stairs. I bounded down faster, the sketchbook clutched to my chest, drawn by the sound of violence. Gus followed hesitantly. As I rounded the corner, the screams grew louder. They belonged to Mercy, her own voice arguing with herself. I cocked my head at the confusion. First she threw Skizzy, then went after the OCD guy. She swung around at the sound of my footfalls coming down the stairs.
"You!" her other self cried.
"Liam, knock me out!" her regular voice shrieked.
"Shut up!"
I raised an eyebrow, weighed the consequences...heck to that. I needed to hit someone. I approached her, avoiding her clumsy swing in defense, and delivered a swift punch to the jaw. She crumpled to the ground, unconscious.
I turned to the others and shrugged.
"She asked me to do it." I started, but was interrupted by Anastasia, who had just appeared on the stairway.
"What hap-" she spotted the sketchbook in my hands, eyes bugging in shock.
"Liam." She said, voice choked and soft. "Give that to me."
I grinned at her and wiggled the book tauntingly.
"No. I don't think I will." I sang happily.
Her hands clenched and released over and over, making fists. I could almost see the gears turning in her head, the memories returning, the ones she never wanted to hear from again. This was fantastic. This Seth character really had had an impact on her. This was almost better than that boy's eyes flying open when he realized I had set his clothes on fire. This was almost better than when the policeman realized that the innocent ten-year-old son may have slit his loving parents' throats. It was almost better than Gus's reaction when she saw me leaving.
I couldn't help it. I had to goad her on.
"What are you gonna do about it?" I laughed.
Before I could finish the sentence, she was on me. She looked like a demon, hair like flames streaming behind her as she leaped forward, hands curled like claws. She raked my arms with her nails, punched my face, yanked at my hair. I fell to ground, trying to shield my face from her blows. She hurled curses at me, but I couldn't hear them over the blood pounding through my ears.
It was over as fast as it started, and her weight lifted from me. The Scottish freak had her by the arms, and he too shot a warning at me, but I ignored him. Anastasia collapsed into a chair, sobbing, the book clutched in her arms. I must have let go of it in my attempts to protect myself.
I hopped back up to my feet, unfazed. The pain from the scratches on my arms only heightened my senses. Normally, I would want my revenge on someone who had attacked me immediately, but I was enjoying her suffering too much. I was in a very good mood.
I decided to stay for a while longer.
With a wink at the group huddled on the couch, and at the out-cold Mercy, I headed to the kitchen for a snack, leaving them to deal with all the beautiful carnage I had caused.
"This world is but a canvas to our imagination."
~Thoreau

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:53 pm
View Likes
Ladyofthedeathroses says...

Anastasia Staine
"You can talk to me. You know, if you want I'll listen." Keaton offered as she wiped a tear from my cheek. I looked down at the sketchpad feeling myself continue to shake and took a deep breath. "T-this was m-my brother's....Seth." I started in a very quiet voice. I cleared my throat letting my voice get a bit louder. "Seth was an amazing artist. He was my best friend, my rock, and my counselar. We were close, closer than most siblings I guess. He was about 4 years older than I was so he suffered a bit more. When I was about 12 he made a suicide pact with one of his friends... they both carried it through. I'm the one that found him all I remember is going over to him and shaking him telling him to wake up then screaming over and over again realizing he was gone. My parents lives went kind of downhill from there as well as mine. That wasn't what landed me in the hospital though. I made a new friend his name was Brandon. He picked me out of a dark place then landed there himself. I went over to his house one day and he shot himself in front of me... I snapped I guess after that and tried to kill myself. Then I ended up here." I said and looked up from my knees. "There's no food in this house!" Liam's complaining voice sounded and I looked at him. "There hasn't been anyone in the house for at least 6 years what do you expect?" I replied in a dull voice. I sighed then ran a hand through my hair. "We need to figure out something for food guys." I said tears drying on my cheeks. "Lassie I think I may have a solution for that." Stephan's cool voice interjected. I looked up and he had a huge grin. "You've got two kleptomaniac's don't ye? That is if Ms. Keaton would be willing to make a trip with me." He added.
"You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

374 Reviews

Reviews: 374
Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:00 am
View Likes
tgirly says...

Creed

Skizzy pushed me out of the way and started choking Mercy. Before I could think of what the correct response would be, he'd collapsed to his knees and she was demanding him to stand up. Did Mercy have a twin, because this was nothing like Mercy? She started arguing with herself, answering my question.
Spotting Liam, she marched over and punched him. Now I was sure, Mercy was definitely not Mercy at this point in time. Normal Mercy could snap a neck like it was nothing; New Mercy's punch was so full of rage it was sloppy. This Mercy fell after one punch from Liam.
"She asked for it," he justified. I scooped her up before anything else could happen- err, tried to scoop her up. I ended up half dragging her into my room and pushing her onto the bed. There were shouts from down the hall, so I peaked out the door to see what was going on.
Liam was already getting into another fight.
"That Liam's no good," I murmured to Unconscious Mercy. "you were right to punch him. Sort of. If there was a way to ditch him, I wouldn't rue it." Stephen pulled Stasia from Liam and Keaton swooped in with a fist-full of Kleenexes.
I looked at the items I'd laid out on my dresser and grabbed the only book I'd brought with. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Not exactly Riordan, but it would do.
I took out my bookmark and went back to the beginning.
"In my younger and more vulnerable years," I began, "my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since..." Yeah, I knew there was a 99% chance that Mercy couldn't hear me, but I didn't give a fart.
I had a feeling I'd be here a while.

RJ
I thought it'd be less scary out here, where I'd have a chance to run for my life if need be.
Totally wrong.
It seemed as soon as we got out, everyone went crazy. Not one, not two, but three fights: Skizzy and Mercy, Mercy and Liam, Liam and Stasia. Not to mention we'd left a dead guy in our wake. I could still hear that neck snapping. That'd be in my dreams, I was sure. At least she hadn't stabbed him.
The first thing I did when we entered the new house was find the cupboard and throw out all the knives. I found myself a room that had a lock and blinds over the window.
Worried that they'd burn the house down while I was in here, I poked the door open a bit after the yelling was over and peaked out. I chose my room very nicely; on the first floor, I could see the front door from here, and the staircase. I couldn't see up the hall though, but that couldn't be helped.
When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
-Abraham Joshua Heschel

12 Reviews

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:02 pm
View Likes

Stephan Wolfe
While I waited for Keaton's answer I decided to explore a little. I saw RJ peeking out of a bedroom. "Greetings laddie ye can't hide in there all the time I hope ye know. Anastasia expects us to eat even if she doesn't." I said to him then went up the stairs with my bag slung over my shoulder. I went looking through the rooms until I found a dark paneled room with two beds. "Hmmmm." Was all I said before setting my bag on one. I went down the stairs. "Hey why don't we all sleep like we did at the hospital eh?" I asked looking at everyone.

Reviews: 4
Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:29 pm
View Likes
thelostone says...

Keaton

"That is if Ms. Keaton would be willing to make a trip with me." Stephan grinned.

I chewed my lip nervously. I don't like stealing. Why would I do it for fun?

"Think about it lass," Stephan smiled and headed upstairs.

My stomach let out a growl reminding me that I need food along with everyone else. If anyone is able to steal without getting caught it's me and Stephan but should I? I've been so good here, I haven't taken any of Anastasia's things, not yet anyways. But that's different! I can't help it, that's not my fault! If I went with Stephan it would be my fault. I have a choice and I would be choosing wrong. How else are we going to eat though? We could get jobs right? Don't be stupid Keaton you know no one will hire us. If we didn't have a choice and I let everyone starve that would be wrong wouldn't it? So helping us would be good.

I sighed and found Stephan in RJ's room.

"So are ye willin to come with me?" He smiled his cheeky grin.

I nodded slowly. "I just don't want us to take more than we have to, okay?"

"Yer one strange klepto, ya know?" He joked.
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

12 Reviews

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:09 pm
View Likes

Stephan Wolfe
"Yer one strange klepto, ya know?" I joked and then sighed. "I know what ye mean though lassie. I wasn't planning on stealing enough for a feast just enough to get us all through a week or two." I added. I looked at her. "So how do ye want to do this? Bags, or coat pockets?" I asked studying her skinny frame. There was no way she could stuff much in her pockets. "There's a bag in Keatons room that you two could use. Its a purse so Keaton can just carry it normally." Anastasia said. I trotted up the stairs and found the bag. I came back downstairs. "Aye, I think we're good lass." I said holding the bag out to Keaton. She didn't look happy as she took it and we headed out to the living room. "We'll be back don't miss us to much eh?" I said smiling. Skizzy looked frightened and I went over to him. I leaned down so I was eye-level with him. "Lad I'll be back I promise." I said sincerely.

Reviews: 4
Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:26 pm
View Likes
thelostone says...

Keaton

Stephan waved goodbye and we left. I slung the bag over my shoulder and sighed.

"Where should we go?" I asked, the cool air sent shivers up my arms.

Stephan pulled out a cigarette and shrugged. "I reckon there's a town somewhere if we follow this road."

I nodded and we walked along the empty road until my feet hurt. After an hour of walking and small talk, we stumbled into a town.

"Milford Township." I read off the sign.

I shrunk behind Stephan as we turned onto the main road. We came to the grocery store and I paused.

"I don't know if I can do this." I panted.

He gave me a soft smile and reached out to squeeze my hand. "Let's make this into a game, alright lassie?"

I gulped and nodded. Games aren't bad.

"The first one with fifteen items wins. You have to be out here in order to win. If you get caught it's an automatic loss. Got it?" He smirked holding out his hand. "May the best klepto win."

I grinned. Games are fun. "Got it." I shook his hand and we ventured into the store. The doors slid open and we parted ways.

Focus, Keaton

I ducked my head down and walked into the bakery section. I zoned in on a slightly older lady with a bag of bagels in her cart.

Too big, Keaton. It won't fit in the purse. Move on.

I skimmed down the isles and slipped some apples into my bag.

You can do better than that! It's a game! Take all of it, Keaton. Beat Stephan.

I counted the apples. I had four. I need much more than that. I peered into a balding man's cart and noticed a box of spaghetti. I quickly snatched it out of his cart and put in in the purse. Adrenaline pumped through me and suddenly I needed everything I could get my hands on. I ran down more isles, grabbing various items and sneaking them into my bag. I quickly surpassed fifteen items and remembered that I had to be outside to win. I held my head high and walked out of the doors.

"I win." Stephan winked.
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:50 pm
View Likes
KingLucifer says...

Mercy Rasalondo - Bedroom

The next thing I knew I had awoken, I was lying on a bed. I turned my head to looked around, I saw the window from here I could tell time had flown while I slept. It was dark out, and who knows what time it was. In my lap I saw Creed asleep and a book on the bed, he had brought me up and laid me in bed during my sleep and stayed by my side. I raised my hand and lightly brushed stray hairs behind his ear.

"Creed," I said softly.

Creed stirred lifting his head from his sleep, "Mercy?" he asked.

"Yes, I'm awake," I said.

Creed sat up in his chair, still looking tired from his nap. "How did you sleep?" he asked.

"Peaceful," I said.

He nodded his head somehow suspecting Creed wasn't entirely in his usual mind state, I reach over to the book laying just out of Creed's reach and even though it was dark read what it said on it.

"The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald," I said.

"Yeah, I was reading it while you slept," Creed said.

"Never read this before, maybe I should sometime," I said.

"You never read The Great Gatsby before, and you call yourself a reader?" he asked.

I looked at him, even in the hard darkness I could see a playful look on his face, I knew he was just teasing me. "Well, between my years at the hospital and my one year of freedom, they just never had this book at the library. At least, not that I've seen," I said.

"How long have you been there, at the hospital I mean."

I tilt my head to the right trying to remember, "since I was twelve, some things happened and well. I beame depressed, one thing led to another and well, that's how I was there." Creed had to know I wasn't telling the whole story, I wasn't ready to, some things just ain't ready to come out yet.

"Could you move, I would like to get up and see if there is any water, I could use a nice hot shower," I said.

"Oh, of course!" Creed said standing up and pushing his chair away, making room for me to get up. I move off the bed and onto my feet, making my way to the door but not before dumping into someone.
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

12 Reviews

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:19 pm
View Likes

Anastasia Staine
"Oof!" I declared as Mercy bumped into me knocking me onto the ground. The sketchpad I'd been carrying fell from my grip landing next to me. "Oh, Mercy you're awake." I said happily. "Yeah, here." She replied offering a hand. She pulled me to my feet with little effort making me wonder at her strength. "Hey is there water in the house?" She asked. I nodded. "Yeah, electricty and everything is running. Mom and dad signed a contract to keep it running for a decade or so. They're weird." I replied shrugging. "Oh that's strange." She remarked. I pointed to the bathroom in reply. "Have at it." I said and she walked to the bathroom. Soon I heard water running and continued down to the two rooms at the end. I looked at Seth's room and took a deep breath. I stepped inside breathing in the musty scent if I concentrated I could smell his Axe. Tears pricked my eyes and I found myself trembling wildly. I slammed out of the room pressing against the door in the hallway. I slid down tears slipping down my cheeks. "Not yet." I gasped out.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:22 am
View Likes
Sassafras says...

August

August hovered in the doorway of the kitchen, watching Liam scavenge for snacks in the cupboards. There wasn't any food in there, she knew since she'd explored the whole house earlier, but she couldn't bring herself to tell him that. Or speak at all. She was usually most comfortable around Liam, but now things seemed to be different. Her stomach was clenched with worry and she was too nervous to even look at him. He turned around, barely registered her presence, and pushed past her to announce that there was no food in the kitchen. 'Obviously,' she wanted to say, but kept her mouth shut.

When she turned back into the main room, she couldn't find Liam anywhere, and she contemplated looking for him. Immediately she froze.

'Oh no.'

"August, come on. Come over here."

She turned towards Skizzy, who was gesturing towards the empty couch cushion next to him. August smiled weakly and shuffled over next to him. She'd never really spoken to Skizzy before, she could never bring herself to. Honestly, he frightened her just a bit. He was too unpredictable, too unstable, and that terrified her. She sat on the very tip of the sofa, back ridged, body tense.

Skizzy frowned at her posture and relaxed back into the sofa.

"Talk to me, Gus," he sighed.

"T-talk?"

"Yeah. You know, I don't even know why you're in here. What's wrong with you?"

"What's... wrong with me?"

"Yeah. What's wrong with you?"

"I... I don't know."

She stood suddenly, clutching the bottom of her dress in shaking hands.

"I have to go."

"Alright," Skizzy said slowly, confused.

August nodded down at him before nearly sprinting up the stairs and rushing into the room that she had claimed as hers earlier. She slammed the door behind her and turned the lock. She doubled forward, put her hands on her knees, and tried to catch her breath. Her heart was beating wildly and a knot was forming in her throat.

"What's wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with me? I shouldn't be here with these people."

She fell to her knees, already in a fit of sobs. She felt so alone and confused and scared, and she just wanted to...

What did she want? She didn't even know. She was so angry with herself, and frustrated too.

"What the hell is even wrong with me," she half-shouted. "This is the stupidest thing to have," she continued in a whisper. "What's wrong with me? Why am I even here?"

She rose up from her position on the floor and walked bravely to the drawer with the alcohol. She'd never drunk before, and carried the large bottle awkwardly in two hands, but felt she had to now for some reason - because she could. She was able to open the bottle with a little struggle, and the smell of the strong liquid hit her like a train. She sputtered and covered her nose before holding the bottle out at arm's distance. Her face screwed up in disgust as she looked at it, but brought it quickly to her mouth and swallowed. It burned her throat going down and hit her stomach like a brick. She couldn't believe people drank the stuff for fun, but took another sip anyway.

After a while her body grew warm and she had a nice buzz going on. Everything spun pleasantly when she turned her head. She didn't feel like herself. She felt greater and braver. She decided she wanted to find Liam.

The trip downstairs was treacherous and she fell tripped down the last step.

"What the hell, Gus," she heard Skizzy say as he ran to help her up. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she slurred. "Where's Liam?"

"The kitchen, Gus are you drunk?"

August pushed Skizzy away without answering and stormed into the kitchen. She found Liam stuffing his face - the others must have come home - and pulled him out of his chair.

"Gus, what the hell," he said angrily, mouth still full.

"You're an asshole, Liam! I'm s-sick of you treating me like... shit! You think you're so c-cool when you're actually j-just really mean!"

A wave of vertigo hit her and she stumbled a bit. Her stomach turned and she clutched it with a groan.

"And I've decided that I don't like you anymore!"

She starred at him for a moment more before storming off.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

254 Reviews

Reviews: 254
Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:08 pm
View Likes
Sonder says...

Liam Chase

She was drunk. Totally, completely wasted. Gus had pulled me out of my chair and had spewed insults with fury I never knew she had. At first I had been angry that she had interrupted my snack, but as she continued, I felt the urge to laugh grow.
"You think you're so c-cool when you're actually j-just really mean!"
Her breath smelled stale with alcohol, and her eyes were foggy and wild, not quite focused. I just stood there, trying to hold in my laughter. Not for Gus's sake, but because I wasn't keen to be punched in the face again. Seemed like everyone in this lovely house hated me. How entertaining.
She let go of the front of my shirt abruptly and stumbled away, clutching at her stomach. I threw both hands over my mouth, snickering. Her retaliation was hilarious. She really thought that words would have an effect on me.
She straightened and pointed a shaking finger at me. I quickly lowered my hands and gave her wide innocent eyes, nodding attentively. This was too good.
"And I've decided that I don't like you anymore!" she slurred with finality.
She stood for a few beats, swaying slightly. I couldn't help it. I grinned at her.
She whirled around and rushed off.
"Glad to know you can state the obvious!" I called after her.
I turned back to the table, laughing softly to myself. This house, man, I was having more fun here than since I had killed Mom and Dad. I shook my head. I wasn't hungry anymore. I began to wander back down the hallway towards the main room.
Skizzy was blocking my way. He was knocking on the locked door to the bathroom, calling Gus's name softly. I tried to squeeze behind him, but he noticed I was there. He turned to face me, eyes narrowed.
"What the hell did you do to her?" he demanded.
I raised my hands in mock surrender.
"What a spiteful accusation." I murmured. "I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I did not, in fact, "do" anything to her." I shrugged. "She's drunk."
He glared at me for a moment before stepping closer. I lowered my hands, weary now. My back touched the wall. He had me cornered.
I did not like the feeling.
"I don't like you," he said softly, looking me right in the eye, "And I just want you to understand that you are walking on very thin ice right now. You managed to make a lot of enemies out of some very dangerous people. So I'm just gonna warn you now." He jabbed a finger into my chest, hard. I gritted my teeth and stared right back at him, no longer in a laughing mood.
"Watch your back."
"This world is but a canvas to our imagination."
~Thoreau

12 Reviews

Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:20 pm
View Likes

Stephan Wolfe
I sat down on the couch closing my eyes a soft sigh escaping. I felt emotionally drained. "Stephan?" Anastasia's voice asked. I didn't open my eyes. "Aye lassie?" I replied. "Do you like Skizzy?" She asked. My eyes sprung open and I turned to look at her. We were the only two people in the room. Her gaze was just curious. In the middle of all of this mess she was asking me this? "Aye lass I do but at the moment we have a lot more to think about than things like that. Don't ye agree?" I replied. "I was just curious." She said and walked off. Once again I leaned my head against the back of the couch again closing my eyes. I started to doze not quite asleep but not fully awake either.

Be steadfast as a tower that doth not bend its stately summit to the tempest’s shock.
— Dante Alighieri