z

Young Writers Society

High School Mythical: Started/Accepting

Reviews: 0
Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:58 pm
mortimermcmirestinks says...

Gilbert Bennet

Of course I didn’t go to the party. Aside from the fact that I’m a massive introvert and a huge party of people I barely know is my personal hell, parties are way too often bursting at the seams with angst and drama and things like that. You can’t throw a stone at one of those things without hitting a girl who just broke up or a guy who is just now realizing how much he hates life or something. With my curse, even in full protective hoodie and jeans, the negative feelings would probably knock me out or blow my head off or something.

I don’t like feeling lousy. I really don’t. I’ve kind of gotten used to it, but not completely, and it’s bad enough being packed into a classroom with twenty other unhappy people for eight hours a day without going to a stupid party filled with the same unhappy people with the same bad feelings.

I slouched into the ragged sofa and changed the channel. Another stupid new story about disappearances. I flicked the off button and decided to take a nap.

Now I’m falling, falling away, into darkness, horrible things are tearing away at me. Terror and pain tear through me, pulling at every nerve. I’m trying to scream but I can’t breathe, and now--

“Aaaaah!” I screamed as I woke up.

“What happened!?” Mom called from the kitchen.

“Just another nightmare,” I returned. Not going back to sleep, I reminded myself. I’d been having that exact same terrible nightmare ever since the first day at this new school.

I was walking through the hall, wondering where I was supposed to go and hoping there would only be a few people there. I looked down at the map and back up, not being able to match the hall to one on the paper. Why are these places always so confusing? I wondered as I paused to consult the map again.

Looking up, I saw a girl at a locker. She was rather pretty, with bright red hair and large eyes (which were pointed straight down for some reason, as if to avoid eye contact with anyone). Aw man, I thought, I‘m going to have to talk to someone, aren‘t I? “Hey, can you help me with this stupid map?”

Startled, she looked up quickly, and then I blacked out. I don’t remember anything after that until I was lying in the hallway screaming in a small crowd getting progressively more shameful, scared, shocked, confused, and apologetic by the second (stupid crowds). The girl, who I later learned was named Gavyn, was looking down again while profusely apologizing. My brain was still fuzzy, so I don’t completely remember what happened afterwards, but I think I stumble-ran (still screaming) down the hall and out of the school. Someone found me and brought me back to the right classroom. I’d been having the nightmare ever since.

That’s exactly the sort of thing that makes me hate mythics. I found out later she, being one, caused fear in the mind of anyone who looked into her eyes. That, combined with my curse, gave me the amazing ability to retain the fear in my subconscious and gave me the nightmare. If it weren’t for mythics, this stuff wouldn’t happen.
Normal is boring. My deviantART acount isn't!

Reviews: 1
Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:27 pm
ThingRed says...

Gwen

I scoffed at my sister's last remark, still hunting out the true Remmy amongst all his clones and everybody. I venture out a ways from the thick crowds, letting a sigh pass my lips at the relief of getting away from all those thoughts pressing up against me, I hated the fact that I could never be a normal girl who couldn't read your life, your secrets, your troubles in the blink of an eye. Oh well, it still had its many perks, now to find Remmy. I spy Gavyn and Charlie amidst the crowd.
People were created to be loved
Things were created to be used
The reason why the world is in chaos,
is because
Things are being loved,
And
People are being used.

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and who can sing it back when you have forgotten the words.

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:53 am
ChocoCookie says...

Hazel Reed

No, Ankli! Come back. Don't leave me here. I don't know anyone! I wanted to scream out to Ankli as she flew back.

I turn to hear the music blaring through the door. Shaking my head, I walked. Now, I'd seen Rembrandt and he was a good friend of our's but how was I ever going to find him in this wild party?

I step into the room and there's just so many people staring at me and my clothes. Seems my appearance doesn't seem to charm them. I ignore all the stares and walk in confidently in search of Rembrandt. Just then a girl comes up to me and smiles. Who was she?

"Would you like a drink?" she asks, handing over a glass. I shake my head.

"No, I'm fine. Thanks." I tell her. She walks away giving me another smile. Something about her was weird. Hey, maybe I could ask her about Rembrandt.

I run to her. "Hey! Wait up!" I call but the stupid music is just too loud to let her hear.

I feel she's more of running away from me. I frown. Is something wrong with me? I shrug and go check out the food. There's not many people there. Out there, I see a door leading in to some other room. Maybe, he must be there! Or maybe not. Worth a shot.

I open the door and look inside. "Hello? Anybody here?"

And as soon as I said that, I got hit on the head. I screamed in pain, holding on to my head. I stared at my hands to be filled with blood. Laughs were surrounding me as I felt myself being dragged away. I was losing consciousness. Before I knew it, my world turned black.

Spoiler! :
Sorry for the short post. My internet is kind of running out.
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.

New to YWS? We'll help you out! <3'

Reviews: 4
Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:59 pm
thelostone says...

Charlie

Breathe, Charlie. In and out. Just breathe... My head was pounding and slowly I regained consciousness. I opened my eyes and rubbed my temples.

What happened? Where am I?

Thousands of questions whirled through my head. For the brief moment, the room had stopped swirling around me and I seized the chance to get a glimpse of my surroundings. It was so bright.. white lights everywhere, white walls, the smell of alcohol seeped through my nose and I felt a small prick on my arm. When I looked up a woman was standing over me.

"Hello, Charlie." She smiled.

"Who are you?" I whispered, unable to bring my voice any higher. "Where am I? What's happening?"

"You're getting your wish." She said and turned to a metal tray next to me.

I looked down at my arm. Two needles were stuck in my veins, dripping some sort of substance into my veins. I glanced down and I was in a chair, like at a dentist's office. I blinked slowly, trying to process it all but my head hurt too much and I set it back down. The woman was scribbling something onto a pad of paper. I turned my head and there was Warren, in a chair like mine with needles sticking out of his arm too. Instead of something dripping into him, something was dripping out of him; blood. He was unconscious just like I had been.

Something's not right, Charlie. Wake up. Do something. Fix what you've done.

I looked back at the lady and asked, "What are you doing to us?"

"We're making you mythic. Just like you wanted." She sighed.

Suddenly it crashed into me. The party, the figure. This is all my fault. My eyes grew wide and I immediately pulled the needles out of my arms, not even flinching at the small prick of pain.

The lady whipped around and grabbed my arm, throwing my back onto the chair. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Let go of me." I growled and ripped my arm out of her grip. I rushed over to Warren, ignoring the huge guards coming towards me.

Scared tears filled my eyes and I pulled the needles out of Warren.

The guards were getting closer.

Hurry up, Charlie. You don't have much time.

I shook Warren vigorously. "Warren, wake up!" I pleaded. "Please! Warren!"

No response. He remained still, not moving.

The tears began to roll down my cheeks and the guards finally reached me, throwing me over their shoulders.

"STOP IT!" I shrieked, suddenly very conscious. "LET ME DOWN!" I thrashed and kicked the guard holding me in the chest causing him to double over allowing me enough time to run back over to Warren.

"Warren!" I begged, shaking him harder. "PLEASE!"

The guard quickly cornered me and I sunk onto the floor, curling up in a ball. Guards in white uniforms surrounded me. They took out their bats and began hitting me. Pain shot throughout my body as I cried out in pain and tried to shield my face.

"Stop it!" I cried, my eyes already beginning to swell from the tears. "This isn't what I wanted!"

More smacks, more pain. One particular hit, smashing against my rib cage, made me scream out and the black spots from earlier clouded my vision once again and it wasn't long before I was out.

"Charlie," A husky voice whispered. "Charlie, baby, wake up."

Soft fingers swept across my forehead and when I opened my eyes it was Warren. I bolted up, making sure there were no needles.

When I looked around we were in a cage, the complete opposite of the clean sterile room I was in earlier. The floors were dingy and it reeked of death. Shadows were the only source of light.

I was in Warren's arms, he had a big slash down the side of his cheek and a black eye.

"Warren.." I wheezed, my stomach rolled over inside of me and before I knew it, everything I had ever eaten came up on the ground next to us. Did I just see red? With another heave more vomit came up, bloodier than last time. Warren rubbed my back and held my hair back. I gasped and fell limp into his arms again.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered, water welling in my eyes. "This is all my fault."

"Shh.." He cooed. "No it's not."

"Yes it is. I-I talked to someone at the party." I said before another wave of throw up came out. I hunched over his lap, my stomach clenching itself together made my ribs scream out in pain.

"He told me he would make me mythic. I didn't-I didn't know, Warren." I murmured. "Please don't hate me."

"Charlie, I don't understand. Wh-"

"Hello?" A small voice called out. "Who else is here?"
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:28 pm
barefootrunner says...

Twi Sprig || Templar Stronghold, Sao Paulo, Brazil

Twi woke up suddenly with a start. There was a voice—a voice that was clear and rung in the chamber—it was close.
"Charlie, I don't understand. Wh—"
"Hello?" Twi whispered. Her voice was weak with disuse. "Who else is here?"
There was a sudden silence in the chamber, but Twi could sense them. Their shadows were only just distinguishable in the darkness. A boy and a girl, both with the metallic tint of blood strong in their scent patterns. The scent of vomit hung heavily in the air. Twi remembered—the new mutants must have come.

"Warren, I think there's someone..."
"I see it. Hello? What is this place? Who're you?" the boy called.
Twi shuffled closer. The shadows moved unsteadily.
"Charlie, stay behind me."
"I'm perfectly capable—"
"I said, stay behind me!"
"Don't be afraid," Twi said quickly. "I'm Twi. Who're you?"
"This is Charlie, my sister, and I'm Warren. We're from the Mythic High School, Emerald County. Do you know it? Where are we?"
"The Mythic School? You are mythics? How did they catch you?"
"It's just me. Charlie's human," the boy who said he was Warren replied. "I—I'm not exactly sure how they got us. Who are they?"
"They are the men in armor. They come in the night and take people—mythics and humans—and they try to turn them into monsters. They always come for my blood. It never works. I think they call themselves—the Knights Templar."
"So you're a mythic too, then?" the girl asked. Twi could make out that she was holding her ribs and her breathing was labored. "What's your power?"
"I'm just..."
A door clanged open somewhere. Twi jumped and snarled.
"They're coming. Get into the corner and stay out of the way."
The newcomers hesitated. "What—"
"Now!" she hissed.

The guards' laughter and banter echoed through the dungeon.
"They're late. Wonder what's holding them up?"
"Maybe a mythic getting difficult."
"They'll be here before dawn, I'll bet."
"Which ones did they say they wanted?"
"The mythics. They're going to try making a hybrid, I think."
"Don't let go of me, Warren," Charlie whispered. "Promise me you won't let them take you..."
The light of a lamp shone through the crack under the door, illuminating the occupants' faces for a moment before the door was flung open and no less than eight guards entered, bearing their heavy sticks and clubs.
Twi caught the first stick in her hands and bit the knight in the neck. She could taste his hot blood, sweet and rich after days of starvation.
A second blow lashed across her back, but she shook it off and spun around, searching for the perpetrator. The man raised his arms to hit her again, but Twi slashed at his face and he dropped the club to grab at his eyes, howling in agony.
"Warren!"
Twi looked behind her. Warren was wrestling desperately with two guards, Charlie trying to free herself from a third who had hold of her hair. But suddenly the guards holding Warren's eyes became dim and he shook off their limp arms. They looked around stupidly, as though they didn't know where they were.

For that moment, it seemed they were winning, but then a guard dealt Warren a heavy blow to the head and he crumpled. Twi turned, but too late. A guard hit her across the face and she yelped, falling heavily to the floor. Immediately, there were cold steel chains on her wrists and she was being dragged back into the laboratory.
"Charlie! Don't fight them!" Warren yelled, heaving at his restraints.
Charlie's high-pitched scream was the only answer.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:45 am
AdventurerDaniel says...

Rembrandt Chopin

As I looked about for Kelly or Gwen, Charlie, Gavyn's sister approached us question the whereabouts of Warren. She had made the inference that if Gavyn was there so too must be Warren. Gavyn pointed Charlie in the direction of where Warren had gone, before we could give her any warning or catch her she had vanished. I looked at Gavyn worry etched across my face, "I don't like her going off like that. We could all be in danger and I need to verify everyone's location." Suddenly it hit me I hadn't seen Ankli all night as the thought occurred to me one of my clones informed me they had spotted Hazel. I knew if Hazel was here Ankli couldn't be far behind. I instructed the clone to watch Hazel and brought two more clones over. "Watch Gavyn and don't let anything happen to her." As I said this to the clones. I heard Gwen call out to me, I turned to see her rushing towards us. "Gavyn tell her what happened and that I'm going to look for Ankli. Ask her to find her sister and get everyone evacuated I'll tell the clones to put mask on and tighten the perimeter."

I ran off in to the night hoping everyone would be okay. I knew Ankli was never one to take something lying down, and with how those griffins chased her I felt I knew where she was. I found her in no time she crashed in to the sidewalk in front me with a griffin preparing to crush her. I took no time in knocking away the griffin and helping her up.
"You alright?"

"Yeah, did you see Hazel?" Ankli asked.

I frowned, "No I haven't seen her." Ankli looked really worried, "I have a clone that has eyes on her so hopefully she's..." I felt as though someone had just sliced open my throat and I knew another clone had died. "You know funny story, true story, but hilarious like you will laugh at this one." I started laughing, "So one of my clones just died and well I'm trying to contact the one that was watching Hazel and he's not responding."

"What!?" Ankli's yell repelled me slightly.

"Look it's fine we'll hurry back and check on everyone." We rushed back to see everyone gathered inside of the house with more of my clones guarding the outside and some spread through the house. We went up to Gavyn and Kelly. "Where's Gwen?"
So much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens.
Red Wheel Barrow by- William Carlos Williams

Reviews: 0
Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:45 pm
Skyguy says...

Riley Smith

I glanced around the mansion, my blades out. Then I saw them. My father, and his assiastant. I crouched as they sped toward me" where is your sister? Trust me riley, I want ro help, I needto keep her sa-" he was cut short as his assistant thrust a blade into him." Traitor to the order." The man hissed, pulling he blade free. He turned to Riley." Now, boy. Where is the giver?" With a cry, riley lunged foeward, ready to tear the mans throat out.

Chase Randall

I wore my golden armour, as he two dark unicorns charged forward. Robed men ran away as my sword swung twixe, cutting the horns off." We have the giver!" A man shouted. I looked to the side, seing men carrying mythics." Heavensgate!" I screamed chargin the two now hornless unicorns. I swung the blade of my ancestors, trying to reach jenna. He unicorns reared and head butted me to the ground. I rolled and swund my sword in a defensive arc. Where were the other mythics, were there no warriors among them? I thought, retreating. The mythics were gone, along with those hooded men. I glared at the two junior unicorns, who pawed the earth nervously. I felt hate and rage boil into me, things a unicorn should never feel." Leave, before I kill you, junior unicorn or not." I hissed. They whinnied and turned tail and ran. I let out a breath and hissed when I moved my leg. A shard of horn had penetrated my calf. I limped back to my home. The music was blasting, but no one was celebrating. They stared in shock as I left the woods. Layla ran towards me, then embraced me in a hug. I jerked away from her. She stared at me in shock, then saw my eyes. She took a step back. " who's in charge here?" I shouted. A boy stepped forward, " rembrandt chopin, as riley had said, manager of the security detail.

"May I ask, what are you doing on my property?" I said. His eyes widened." Help! Someone help!" Someone yelled. I turned and saw a couple mythics carrying a bloody body between them. I froze, Riley. Layla ran forward aa the mythics lowered him. She looked at me and shook her head. I stepped closer. He grabbed my arm and dragged me closer." Did they get jenna?" He asked, holding a sword blade in his tomach." Chase, i know im a goner, but did they get jenna?" I nodded limply. He growled" well, i want you to go after them sao paulo brazil. On top of the largest mountain nearby. Thats where they are. And chase, give them hell for what theyve caused!!!" He fell down, and smiled weakly, then slowly, his eyes lost ther glint, and he passed.

I glanced at layla, then at all the mythics. "Im going to need all of your help."
I will never give up... I will never give up! As long as I'm still breathing in this world... as long as I'm still standing in this world I will never give up!

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:36 am
AdventurerDaniel says...

Rembrandt Chopin

"Chase first we need to assess the situation." I wanted to help I did but, garnering the help of the others would be hard. "I need to know who is here, and for all of us to be gathered in to a line and to sound off." I heard each name called out and four were missing that struck me the hardest: Charlie, Warren, Hazel, and Gwen. my mind raced I was spawning clones and absorbing them searching everywhere until finally I knew it had to be true.
"Kelly, Ankli, and Gavyn, I insist you remain the rest of you may leave." Everyone slowly flowed out of the house, with the exception of those of us that had lost friends or families to the kidnappers.

Chase looked about at each of us, "talk about a ragtag group of heroes."

"Ragtag my ass," Ankli muttered under her breath.

I resisted the urge to laugh and maintained my composure. "We're the only ones that lost anyone in this attack. I'm not dragging in other mythic students that have nothing to do with this." No one disagreed with this but Chase seemed to not necessarily enjoy hearing it. "Now what I want to know is who were those people and why were they willing to kill Riley, and most importantly why did they kidnap my friends."

Chase seemed to struggle, as though he could feel my mild distrust for beings such as himself, and that he wanted to hide something. "Riley told me that he was once a Templar, a secret society with a goal of world domination. He left the organization with his sister Jenna and hid here in this town." He sighed, "But, the Templars could not accept a traitor going free or the escape of their greatest mythic weapon. So this night they sent a kill squad an elite one known as The Unseen to get back Jenna, and what should they find but a party full of mythics and potential test subjects."

"Test subjects?" We were all so enthralled by Chase's story that it was strange when Gavyn's question drew us back in to reality.

Chase nodded, "Riley mentioned that the Templars were attempting to synthesize their own mythics." Sorrow filled Chases eyes, "So far there have been no successes."

"So Hazel is in mortal danger." Ankli and I said at once, I continued, without an echo this time, "I mean not just her but Gwen and Charlie as well as Warren." I still didn't fully trust him but he seemed truthful enough. "So why is Jenna so important?"

He started with out hesitation, "She has a rare gift, rare even amongst mythics, she is a giver. Her powers are unto that of a gods making you remember events as she wants you to remember them or making you forget everything you've ever known and giving you new memories or even a new life."

"Look I'm with you now matter what they took Hazel and Gwen," I paused briefly. "And even though Gavyn is a new friend of ours her brother and sister are in their possession and that I can not abide." I let my mind slow down to hatch a plan when suddenly a new sense was tugging at me I had never felt it before but I knew what it meant almost immediately. I said the words out loud not fully grasping what they meant, "Another now bears a mask."

Layla, whom had remained silent through most of this as well as Chase suddenly burst out, "What!?"

I knew what it meant I knew why both Layla and Chase were worried, Ankli though asked the question that only I knew the honest answer to, "What do you mean another bears a mask?"

"Ankli that's a long story, it all begins back when Angels, Demons, and the like more openly traversed the earth." I asked everyone to sit and get comfortable as I delved more fully in to the story. "In those days there were meetings between Angels, Unicorns, Demons, and such that took place at the only middle ground Earth. Humans had no place on these council meetings but demanded their share of representation. So seven of the greater magic user families sent representatives the houses were: Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Metal, Shadow, and Light. When a fight broke out at a meeting they were each fortunate to escape with their lives. The meeting place known now as Stonehenge was destroyed as well as many human villages near the sight."

"This inspired the making of the Mask Bearers. As repayment for the destruction Heavensgate, and what was then the Hellsgate council before its disbandment, was forced to give the seven families completely unique steel that could only be made in Heaven and Hell respectively. The families gathered their greatest sword smiths and made the seven blades that would be paired with each mask. An example of their craftsmanship now hangs upon my waist. Now the greatest craftsman and spell weavers of each family gathered and made each mask taking the greatest abilities of each family and imbuing them in each mask."

"Aside from this each mask enhanced the wearers inherent skills. After each was prepared they were given to the greatest warriors of each family, their names are now long lost to time but not their descendants or their swords names. These first warriors were the first Mask Bearers and I the last inheritor of their legacy."

Gavyn chimed in now, "But, you said their were seven original Mask Bearers. What happened to the rest?"

"That tale is the more tragic half of this and why I still have a tentative trust towards Chase and Layla. Ankli is one of a kind in that I knew not of my heritage as we were childhood friends and that is how she retains my trust. Now centuries passed with the Mask Bearers in place keeping both members of Hellsgate and Heavensgate in their respective places. The Mask Bearers were guardians of Earth against beings as destructive as the angels and demons had proven to be. But, the Angels and Demons were furious as to us having essentially banished them from Earth. Now at this Time the Mask of Metal Bearer was the leader of them and was stronger than most of the others. A demon with the help of an angel tricked him though in to thinking Earth and Air Mask Bearers were attempting to kill him so Metal acted preemptively, and slayed them."

"They knew something needed to be done that Metal must be slain so Fire and Water went to subdue them. As was the case with Earth and Air their mask were destroyed and their swords all that remained. Finally he went to slay Light and Shadow he almost succeeded but they fought valiantly he split Light's mask and he fell in the battle but his mask survived and created a chink in Metals Armor. Shadow finally killed Metal but could not destroy the mask so he created a seal. He gathered the swords of his fallen comrades forming a cage around the mask and placing Metal's sword as the final piece."

"Shadow set his blade as the final lock and his mask as the last thing to unlock the seal." I sighed it was never an easy story to relay. "This was when the two great prophecies of the mask bearer were born. The first prophecy spoke of the day when a shadow Mask Bearer would take up the mask of Metal and it would bind with the Mask of Shadows and he'd reform the Mask Bearers as they once were. The other prophecy is more confusing and refers to the destiny of the Blade of Light and the two halves of the Mask. It speaks of when the two halves that should have always been whole shall take up the mask and it shall again be whole."

"Okay so what does any of that mean?" Ankli asked.

"Well my clones mask and blade are not connected to mine as long as they are in contact the blade and mask disappear as they do. But, if they are forced apart they do not. Prolonged exposure may drive someone mad but the right person could easily wear the mask." I looked at each of them, "If they get the mask of Metal we may all be doomed, and if they learn the prophecy they certainly will attempt to attain it. I'm in not just to save my friends now Chase but possibly save all of humanity from the Templars."
So much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens.
Red Wheel Barrow by- William Carlos Williams

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work.
— Thomas Edison