z

Young Writers Society

The Future Is Now (not started / One spot left!!)

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:33 am
View Likes
Loller65 says...

Premise:
Spoiler! :
Space travel: expensive, inefficient, forgotten. After long distance space travel was deemed to expensive to justify its continued usage, the earth turned inwards. Improving the homefront was made priority number 1. The affluent, the privileged, and the politically important migrated to the moon to attempt to govern earth from on high. Decades passed, and they soon forgot their original motives. Earth, now wrecked by pollution and overpopulation, is in shambles. With a ruined ecosystem, it rains almost constantly. The sun rarely shines, and when it does, only those on the uppermost layers of massive skyscrapers in the huge megacities get to see it. Life on earth has been reduced to abejct, miserable povery spent squatting in the dank depths of a huge megacity where the only water available is oily and poisonous. As you go up, it gets better, but only marginally. Poverty, drugs, and organized crime run rampant. The woefully understaffed police departments do their best, but it's rarely enough. Officers die in droves on the daily, and most precincts have shut down outright. The future is now, kids. And it ain't bright.

So yeah, basically, this is a cyberpunk storybook. Think constant cloud cover, frequent rain, massive dark cities, neon, Asian lettering everywhere. Basically, think Blade Runner. And in the center of it is you. Maybe you're a cop struggling to maintain order, an average joe trying to make it in this horribly dystopian envrionment. Or maybe you're a criminal trying to make it big while you still can, before a horrible respiratory disease takes you down at 35. It's up to you.

Characters:
Spoiler! :
Name:
Name:
Appearance (optional):
Profession:
Personality:
History:
Up for love?:
Other:

Rules:

1. No godmodding, duh

2. No killing off other people's characters, you know the drill

3. No explicit descriptions of sex.

Other than that, this is meant to be a pretty dark and gritty imagining of a cyberpunk world. Swear up a storm. Do crazy drugs (ideally fictional ones, like that eye drop stuff in Looper). Go crazy. Life is miserable and brutally short in this world and the people better reflect it, darn it.

Oh, and a sidenote - while not strictly enforced, I do sorta want there to be a lack of the traditional female characters I notice cluttering the SBs here. Teenage girls who are quirky and upbeat despite whatever situation they're in who are also excellent at whatever. Maybe I am nuts but I notice a lot of these characters. Let's aim for as realist and grounded characters as we can.

Here's a DT for your profiles and other SB related needs!: The Future Is Now DT
Last edited by Loller65 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are no absolute rules of conduct, either in peace or war. Everything depends on circumstances."

-Leon Trotsky-

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:44 am
Imaginator17 says...

This sounds awesome!! I will definitely join. When i have a good character idea haha XD, please keep me updated and i look forward to seeing you on the other side. lulz

Reviews: 4
Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:24 pm
thelostone says...

If it's okay with you, I would like to join!
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:27 am
Pencil2paper says...

I'd love to join!
"Look out! He's got a daisy!"
- Making Money by Terry Pratchett

Chuck Norris- worshiping gnomes, undead pandas, pet chupacabras and undead Keanu Reeves-what could possibly go wrong?

31 Reviews

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:22 am
Loller65 says...

Sure, you're all welcome to join! Just slap those profiles up on the DT! Once we get one more person I think we can go!
"There are no absolute rules of conduct, either in peace or war. Everything depends on circumstances."

-Leon Trotsky-

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:00 pm
AmeliaDay says...

I'd like to join if that's okay :)
"So you're suggesting we take the train to York, meet a ninety-year-old man, leap on him, and yank out his hair? I'm sure the Clave will be ecstatic."

~I always want silver hands~

31 Reviews

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:36 pm
Loller65 says...

Of course!

Once everyone has their profiles posted, we can get started!

And just so everyone knows, after we start you are always welcome to make a profile and join! I want five to ten more people for this storybook, so there's plenty of space left if you're interested.

-Leon Trotsky-

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:57 pm
Craz says...

My, my, my. Ain't this interesting.

I would be happy to join such an interesting Storybook, if you don't mind. As for my character, most likely I'll be doing a guy, since Storybooks tend to have a female lean.
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

31 Reviews

Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:16 pm
Loller65 says...

You're more than welcome to join! Once we have five profiles in the DT it's go time!

-Leon Trotsky-

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:58 am
Jony says...

It would be awesome if I could join, this SB seems super interesting. I will have a profile up pronto too.
β€œIn a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die:
Ever drifting down the stream- Lingering in the golden gleam- Life, what is it but a dream?”
― Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

-Jon7670

31 Reviews

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:33 am
Loller65 says...

Awesome! The more the merrier!

-Leon Trotsky-

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103

31 Reviews

Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:28 pm
Loller65 says...

Okay, everyone. Since we now have enough profiles posted, we'll be starting
Wednesday. If you've posted that you want to join but haven's posted a profile, I urge you to post as soon as you can.

Also, to those interested in joining who haven't posted, we have one spot left! I'll make a few exceptions if you really wanted to join, but just didn't have the time to post, but only a few. If that's the case for you, just shoot me a PM and you're more than welcome to post a profile and join.

-Leon Trotsky-

31 Reviews

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:09 am
View Likes
Loller65 says...

Aaaaand here we go!!

Logan

The room was a goddamn mess. Logan paced over to the mangled corpse crumpled in the corner and rolled it over onto its back. The face was chock full of glass shards. Grimacing, he started pulling them out, one by one, till the face was free of them. Next he bent and wiped its face clean of blood. Now it looked presentable enough. He pulled his phone from his pocket and snapped a quick photo of the m angled face and sent it to his employer. Some drug kingpin. He dealt in the heavy shit, the stuff Logan never touched. Logan headed towards the smashed window the man had come hurtling through two minutes earlier. The man's totaled hover bike was smoking, and likely soon to catch fire. It was a brand new model and now it was ruined.

"Damn shame." Logan muttered, before gingerly climbing out the window and sliding onto his old bike and taking off into the night. As he bobbed and weaved through the traffic, he checked his watch. It was barely ten thirty.

A shower to get this blood off of me, he thought, and then to the clubs.

He sighed and sped off into the night.

-Leon Trotsky-

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:25 pm
Hanorah says...

Name:
Name:Sarah midland
Age (17 and up, folks):17
Appearance (optional):light brown hair, hazel eyes, 5'11, sunkissed skin, curvy
Profession:student, in literature
Personality:tends to put people before herself, thinks she's less important, very caring, yet thinks she's invisible, can be shy sometimes and even when she's boiling with anger, she tends to looks calm, but can sometimes burst.
She's always a shoulder to cry on, but doesent want to burden people with her problems.
History:Her father was a drunk, and could occasionly get a slap on his worst nights, her mother died when she was 3. So, she tended to look after herself in her life, had no one to care,love or look after her, which is why she's independent but has low self esteem
Up for love?:yup (she's striaght)
Other:
'Be yourself;everyone else is already taken' ~ Oscar Wilde

It's funny how humans can wrap their mind around things and fit them into their version of reality.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief