Young Writers Society

No Redemption *Started*

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:19 pm
ForsakenAngel says...

So... is this dead? O.o
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:07 am
Basil says...

No no!!! I just need internet, and I'll be able to post my bit!! I'm using my phone to check the messages, and I don't really want to rewrite Shade's part, especially on my phone, as it is quite long.
I'll have it up in two days
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:33 am
Basil says...

Shadra (Shade)

I drop from the tree and land silently on all fours, like a cat. I stay in that position while I calm my breathing and listening to the sounds around me, my eyes scanning the forest.
Nothing. No sounds. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just trees. Nothing new. No smells I don’t recognise. Just nothing.
And then I hear it: the faint rumbling and cracking sound a carriage makes as it trundles down the well-worn dirt road. An evil smile spreads across my face as it draws near, the sound getting louder. I creep forward and peer from between two bushes, and spot the carriage coming up to my right.
It’s quite small, and looks like a black box on wheels with a single lantern on the front for the driver to see where he’s going, which is a man with fluffy white hair and a face covered in wrinkles. I silly thought crosses my mind as I stare right into his eyes … well, at least I try to, but he has so many wrinkles I wonder if he can see anything.
Wasting no time, I draw out my knife and pull my head back into the forest just before the light hits me. I crawl backwards, and then pull out a silver coin. I toss it through the air and listen as the carriage stops. My smile widens as I hear confused and angry voices sound through the air.
“Driver,” one, a female, snarls, “what is going on?”
“I … I don’t know Ma’am,” the driver responds in a frightened voice.
“Well then,” a male voice growls, “go see what’s holding us up!”
The carriage creeks as the driver hops down and walks over to the coin. Without skipping a beat, I jump up and run to the carriage. I leap onto the roof and open the small trap door on top. I look inside and come face to face with a man and woman in fine clothing. I smile sweetly and wave.
“Who are you and what are you doing?” The man asks angrily.
“It doesn’t matter,” I say in a distant, haunting voice. “You don’t need to know.”
I drop into the carriage and hold a finger to my lips. I stare out the window as the driver picks up the coin. I turn back around and narrow my eyes at the two people. They exchange worried glances and then stare at me.
“Ask the driver what he’s found,” I whisper.
“Driver, what have you found?” The woman asks loudly after hesitating.
There is a slight pauses. “A coin, Ma’am. A silver coin.”
The two people look at me expectantly. I refrain from scoffing. Typical.
“Ask him what’s on it,” I command even quieter.
“What’s on it?” The man calls.
Another slight pause. “A wolf, sir,” comes the reply. “A wolf howling.”
“Shadows burn deep and bright in the light where you belong,” I chant. The carriage begins to reek of fear now, emanating from the man and woman thickly. It’s disgusting, but satisfying. “Don’t let the wolf drag you down, or Shadra will get you. Don’t blink. Don’t move. Don’t look away. As soon as your eyes close your heart will go,” I hold my knife up and smile evilly. “Poof.”
Both of my victims open their mouths to scream, but my hand is quicker. They’re dead before a sound can be uttered, their throats wide open, blood pouring from the wounds. I wipe my blade clean on some material and sheathe it.
“Drive on,” I call, imitating the woman’s angry voice. “Just toss the coin away. Probably some criminal hiding in the shadows.”
The carriage shifts as the driver climbs back on. I quickly rob the two bodies of their valuables, and exit from the roof. I close the trap door, and watch the trees above me. The driver drives on, oblivious, not even thinking to wonder why there was no interest paid in the coin. Then again, the two dead nobles wouldn’t have known what the wolf insignia means. Thankfully no one does yet. But soon, it will be something everyone fears.
I spot the low hanging branch and reach my hands up. I grab it and pull myself up, crouching on it, watching the carriage disappear, the light diminishing behind some trees. There goes a nasty surprise for the royals, and another days work for the Shadow. Soon nobles will think twice about travelling at night without guards.
I climb through the trees and then drop to the ground just in front of a small cave. I stash my nights ‘findings’ and then turn toward the nearest civilisation. But before I reach any buildings, I hear a scream coming from somewhere ahead. Sounds like the dead bodies have been found earlier than I thought.
I step out of the forest and a voice breaks the silence.
“Hey!”
looking around, I spot a tall figure striding toward me. I think about ducking back into the forest, but before I can, hands grab my upper arms and hold me in place.
“Who are you and what are you doing here?” A man asks suspiciously.
I glare at the hooded man and spit in his face. I brace myself for the pain as his hand smashes across my face. My cheek stings, and tears spring to my eyes naturally, but I’ve been hit in the face plenty of times to be used to the pain.
“Answer me,” the man snarls, moving his face close to mine.
I narrow my eyes and pull my head back. He waits for an answer, what I can see of his lips twisted in a frustrated frown. I jerk my head forward and smash it into his nose. He staggers back, and the hands on my forearms tighten.
The man recovers and draws a blade, holding it to my throat. I lift my chin angrily and glare at the man. My head is swimming, and it hurts quite a lot. I guess I hit him a little harder than I thought.
“Any last words before I cut your pretty throat?” He sneers.
“Yeah,” I say, pronouncing my words carefully. “Fuck. You.”
Before anything can happen, though, someone pulls the hooded man back and punches him in the face.
Dorian, are you the one adding all the spices to our food?
Of course I am.
Why?
Because frankly the food here tastes like poorly cooked sawdust. It genuinely tastes how Solas looks.

You must believe in free will; there is no choice.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer