z

Young Writers Society

Metas, Mechs and Mages (Accepting, Not Started)

Reviews: 1
Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:22 am
View Likes
Crowley says...

This is my first attempt at a Storybook, so I am open to suggestions and really eager for participants!

The Opening Cinematic

Spoiler! :
"It's a damn meta!"

Officer Wilson's roar was lost to the thunder of gunfire erupting across the rooftop. At least a dozen of the Las Vegas Police Departments best were firing upon a single target; a naked man in a Bugs Bunny mask. It hopped from foot to foot, laughing maniacally as bullets tore into its flesh, only to be popped back out as his body healed it self at an incredible rate. He returned fire with a pair of handguns, which forced most of the cops to take cover behind air ducts.

"Surrender now! Let's not draw this out!" yelled Wilson.

This was met with another fit of laughter. "You suckers can't do anything to me! I'm a god! I can do whatever I want!"

Wilson swore and reloaded his pistol, and was about to return another round when the entire roof shook. He glanced over to see another figure land in front of the naked freak.

"Not another one" he muttered to himself. With his back turned to him, Wilson could just make out the newcomers brass boots from under his long black coat. A strange, neon-blue fluid seemed to run around them, and a pair of pistons on the side pumped out bursts of steam. In his left hand, a long, silver katana was brandished, it's tip just inches from the ground.

"Benny Goodman, Meta, Class Beta Healing Factor?" The coated man asked authoritatively.

Benny, who had paused shooting everything up, sized up the questioner. "Hehehe - I haven't been cut by one of those yet, but it's not going to work - you're all maggots! I'm invincible! I'm free!" He smiled with a mad gleam in his eye.

"You were given this power, along with the chance to use it responsibly. You have squandered that opportunity, and now you'll pay the price."

"Were you not paying attention?! I just went toe to toe with a couple dozen bullets and won! Your sword isn't going to do-" He was cut off as the swordsman dashed forward, impossibly fast, and slashed a clean stroke through the entirety of Benny's torso. Without missing a beat, he span around and delivered a series of blows with uncanny speed and precision. What was left of Benny crumbled to the ground in a heap of fleshy cubes. The killer threw a small, brass orb into the mess, which ticked for a few seconds, then imploded into a small circle of perfect darkness. It sucked the carcass and a few chunks of roof into it before disappearing in a plume of obsidian smoke. Jaw hanging open, Wilson wasn't even able to catch the killers face before he shot up, a good twenty yards into the sky, leaving another dent in the bullet-riddled tiles.

This was just a typical example of the kind of work the MSL carries out. By equipping metahumans, already gifted with supernatural abilities, with cutting-edge technology and magical expertise, the Metahuman Safety League creates professional supersoldiers, charged with protecting their human brethren from the unstable superhumans of the world.

Your Role

Spoiler! :
You will play the part of one of these warriors, referred to as Guardians, in a quest to take down an organised group of metahumans abusing their powers. The Metahuman Safety League provides you with gear (usually a mix-match of enchanted steampunky gizmos), transport, training, magical connections and of course, information on criminal activity for you to claim and investigate.

You will work in a squad of six, lead by my charrie, operating out of one of many of the headquarters MSL has spread around the globe. For this SB, we will be primarily based in Chicago, IL, USA. For a solid team dynamic, we're probably going to want two offensive-oriented charries, a sneak/reconnassance oriented one, a character with a power that helps/heals others and a tech-head to equip us

The World

Spoiler! :
Completely identical to your own world in every way, this Earth differs only in a few, very important ways. There is global peace, 3.4% of the world's population are born with superpowers, but only a couple ten thousand are of notable power, and even less are gifted in the arts of magic, or with the genius intellect required to design and use high-tech peacekeeping gadgetry.

For every committed member of the MSL, three metahumans/mages or mad scientist exists, selfishly bent on bettering them self through the exploitation of the 'inferior" human race.

The MSL was originally a scrapped government project, before Billonaire Grayson Lugo revivied it and turned it into his greatest work. Now commanding over a dozen thousand Guardians, the MSL provides training facilities, housing and information on criminals to it's many volunteers. A squad of Guardians will likely receive a recommended case from a MSL computer, then tackle it and log it's outcome onto a live-time map of all meta-human criminal activity

Your Profile

Spoiler! :
Name:
Source of Power: (Metahuman, Magical, Mechanical)
Class: (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, based on potential lethality of abilities and various skills (swordsmanship, sharpshooting, inventorism) - which means a healer type would be a Gamma, even though their power might exceed the Alpha in a mech with the dual rocket launchers)
Personality:
Abilities: (Eg. If you're a meta character, put in your powers, if your a magican, specify your realm of magical expertise - do you shapeshift with an enchanted amulet? Summon your imaginations beasts with runes? You have a lot of creative license, just don't create walking Gods. If you're reliant on technology, outline your suit, or give us a glimpse into your armoury. Also, if your a master swordsman/archer/ninja, this is the place to outline it. Please try to keep it balanced. I'll PM you if I feel that your character is a little overpowered)
Weaknesses: (It could be anything from a Shakespearian flaw to a phobia to an actual physical reaction to a substance - its also a good way to even out your character. Alphas tend to have one big, fatal weakness while Gammas don't)
History: (Please include motivation to join HSL)

Please ask any questions in the DT :)

I hope to avoid swearing and sexual references, but drugs often do follow crime, so they're ok to mention.

Reviews: 1
Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:01 am
Crowley says...

Thanks to Kittyz for making a profile, and if everyone who liked this SB could make a profile, we'd have enough to start! :D

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:59 am
Pamplemousse says...

No problem Cam! :) !!!
“Admire my gaytime in the mist of purple~” -lostthought, 2015.
~~~~~~~~~~~Usernames~~~~~~~~~~~
Pamplemousse (4/16/14-Now)
Lateritic (8/21/13-4/16/14)
Kittyz101 (3/11/13-8/21/13)

We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor