z

Young Writers Society

The Thing (Open - Not started)

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:52 am
birk says...

I am attempting to create my first SB, namely a science fiction storybook based upon the John Campbell classic "Who Goes There?" which in turn was adapted into the 1982 cult film "The Thing" by John Carpenter.

If you are unfamiliar with the subject matter, I'll go over the basics:
Thousands of years ago an alien spacecraft went down in the arctic. Later, in the early 1980s, a Norwegian scientific crew uncover the spacecraft as well as a frozen specimen of an alien. Unknown to them, the alien is actually still alive, escapes and has the abbility to assimilate any lifeform. In short, it could now be anybody.

What I imagined could be interesting here, would be to insert us into a reasearch facility somewhere in the arctic and then release the Thing upon us. The fun the beginning, as anyone of us could be the thing.

I'm thinking I would just silently PM one of our participants that he/she is the thing and he/she would then try to survive and basicly try to avoid detection. While the rest of us try to figure out who is the thing...and who is not.

Plot:
Welcome to Outpost 44!
Established 3 years ago, Outpost 44 holds a crew of 10 people, varying from scientific personnel to basic labour. Located four clicks from the foot of Mount Bonaparte, the only way to and from the Outpost is by helicopter route. Every other week, new supplies are airlifted in to camp.

Standard lenght of shift: 6 months. Estimated time until completion: 3 months, 6 days.

Document transcript: January 7th. A man stumbled into the encampment in the early hours, he was exhausted and cold, surely suffering from hypothermia. Doc Eames has barely gotten a word out of him. He seems almost inhuman. Almost. - Author unknown.

Characters:
Spoiler! :
Isaac Clarke - Leader of the scientific station. - Birkhoff
Doc Eames - Medical doctor at the station. -
Graham - Scientist within the station. -
Jackson - Scientist within the station. -
Armand - Engineer within the station. -
Finchner - Maintenance and upkeep within the station. -
Davies - Radio Operator within the station. -
Mahoney - Scientist within the station. -
Grace - Scientist within the station. -
Phillips - Handyman within the station. -

With the exception of Clarke and Doc Eames, all names are placeholders. Feel free to create your own name. Please keep to last names and if you can, make a male character.

Profile:
Spoiler! :
Name (again, last names):
Age (26-60):
Personality:
Brief history:
Other:

Interested?
Spoiler! :
If you are interested, speak up in the discussion thread and reserve a character.

If you do join, your 1st post would establish your character and some of the life on the station, as well as interactions with other characters. Then we introduce the Thing and unleash chaos!

Rules
Spoiler! :
All normal SB rules apply ->>
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69909

Cursing is allowed, though keep it grounded.
While gore is recurring in both the novella and film, it's not necessesary (at least not too graphicly), as I feel the isolation and psychology aspect is in the center.
Try to post regularly and we'll see how interesting our story can get. I really feel this "who is the Thing?" and "who can I trust?" part of the story can be quite fun.

Discussion Thread
Discussion Thread

I will not be starting this SB until August (if we have enough), as I'm going on vacation for a while.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind