z

Young Writers Society

The Orphans

Reviews: 4
Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:53 pm
thelostone says...

Lynnox

I sat down at the table right across from Cassie and next to London. London seemed nice enough,but of course I wouldn't know because her hulk of a brother was always breathing down her neck. Everyone was pretty quiet except for Molly who was busy talking a boy named Teddy's ear off.

"So.." I sighed, picking the crust off my sandwich. "What are we going to do about the train?"

"What do you mean, what are we going to do about it?" Cassie said icily. "We do the same thing every year, try to avoid being adopted."

I raised one eyebrow. I'm not going to be taking any shit from her today. "I mean, Cassie," venom dripping from my words. "My brother is stuck somewhere in Boston without me and I am going to find him."

The whole table seized up in tension.

"Uh, let's not discuss this right now." Max mumbled.

I fell silent but kept my glare on Cassie. When she smiled sickly back my stomach turned over and my insides boiled.

"I'm not hungry" I said through gritted teeth. "I'll catch up with you guys later."

I pushed my tray filled with untouched food into the middle of the table and stormed away down the hall.

Nobody understands, I thought to myself. Shaking with anger, I felt tears well up in my eyes. I flew down the hall towards the left wing of the orphanage. No one goes there. A couple years ago a girl hung herself in the supply closet down here. The fear of her ghost scared most people away. Now, whenever I need to be by myself I hid here.

The tears began to fall down my cheeks which only made me more furious.

"GAHH!" I screamed and punched the stone wall. Immediately, pain shot up my hand and I sunk to the ground holding my hand, which had started to bleed, to my chest.

Exhausted and defeated, I hugged my knees to my chest ignoring the pain coursing through my hand and silently sobbed.

Even after my tears ran dry, I stayed there on the ground, hugging myself afraid that if I let go I will fall apart.

"Hey" said a voice.
Last edited by thelostone on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
maybe hell is just rewinding home movies

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:08 pm
KLovelace says...

Teddy

He had no idea what he was doing, but Teddy awkwardly said "G-goodbye," to everyone at the table and followed Lynnox to wherever she was going. Teddy still had no idea what he was doing, following this crying girl. If anyone had stumbled upon this scene, they would assume it was him who made her cry and the ending probably wouldn't have been that great. Luckily, no one saw the two as the entered the left wing.

Teddy was a little scared now; he had never been in the left wing. But oh, he had heard the stories and that had been enough to keep him away. Until now.

Why am I following this girl? Teddy thought to himself, already frightened at the aspect of talking to her. But he had too. He knew what it was like to feel this way, he had cried himself to sleep many nights in this orphanage.

Eventually, Lynnox stopped and Teddy hid behind the corner while she let out sounds of anger and sadness. When they subsided a little, Teddy awkwardly tried to be casual and kneeled beside her. "H-hey." He said softly.

"Hi..." Lynnox muttered, furiously swiping away her tears.

"I don't know your story, because I don't know anyone who would tell it to me. So I don't really know what you meant back there, b-but.." Confidence failing him, Teddy went back to being shy and awkward. "I- I think if... if you really tried r-really hard to find your brother, y-you could. Anything is possible..."

Lynnox stared at Teddy with wide eyes. This was the most she had ever heard him speak in one sitting. "Thank you..." She said softly, and Teddy gave her an awkward smile.

"It's... it isn't a problem... I hope you feel better soon. J-just, try to focus on the future." With that, Teddy stumbled away like a newborn doe trying to escape a predator. Lynnox smiled after him, touched by his attempt at friendship and consolation.
Current Characters:
none..

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:36 pm
ForsakenAngel says...

London

I picked at my sandwich, not feeling quite as hungry as I had when I first got it. I glanced around the table, looking at the few people that were left. Greyson was leaning back in his chair, eyes glued to the ceiling. His food laid in front of him, untouched like my own. I wondered what scheme he was plotting this time and if it involved getting out of here or not. For all I knew, he was planning out a game of basketball for tomorrow.

"So Max," I said, breaking the silence that had ensued. "What's on the agenda for today?" Out of the corner of my eye I saw Grey come to life, leaning forward in his chair and watching me with hawk eyes. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't always like this. Most of the time he was laid back and didn't care one way or the other who I talked to. It was only recently that he had told me to "minimize the damage" because he had been planning something big that he wouldn't let me in on.

I seriously wondered if he even had a plan yet or if he was just taking the first steps in getting away. When I glanced over at Grey, he leaned back again, crossing his arms and looking up over my head. I looked back at Max, waiting for him to answer.
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:45 pm
Liv says...

Molly

"Lyyyyynnooooooox!" I called down the hall, looking for my friend, "Lynnox, where are you?"

I didn't know why she got upset and I didn't know why she ran away. Max had told me once, though, that she had a brother....but I can't remember what happened to him.

"Lynnox!" I yelled again.

"Monkey, I think she wants to be alone." Max said, following me.

"I'm gonna go play." I say, walking towards my room.

"Okay, I'll be in the lunch room, okay? He said, going back in to eat his sandwich.

I watched until he disappeared, then I ran down the hall where Max said not to go. He'd told me a story about a girl down here.....but it was just a story. Besides, saw Lynnox go down here once.

"Lynnox." I called again. Where was she?

I reached up to a doorknob and pushed the door open.

"Lynnox?" I whispered, stepping in to the supply closet.

I let go of the handle to check behind the shelf, but she wasn't there. Behind me, the door clicked shut. Reaching back up to it, I tried opening it....but it was locked. There was only a sliver of light coming from beneath the door.

Pushing on the door, I began to grow anxious, suddenly remembering being trapped, suddenly remembering te dog, suddenly remembering the story Max told me....what if it wasn't just a story?

I was desperate to open the door and began pounding on it, screaming on the top of my lungs, feeling as if the girl was behind me, watching me from the ceiling.

Now crying, I screeched, "Let me out! Max, help! Help me, let me out. Someone let me out!"

Max

I returned to my seat, and London asked me what the day's plan was.

I thought for a moment, taking a bite of my sandwich, ignoring Greyson's look, then suggested, "I don't really know, but I guess we could try to....do you guys hear that?"

I listened closer. Was someone...screaming? We all left the lunch room and went to the hall. The screams seemed to be coming from the left wing.

I hadn't heard anything like that in four years, since the dog.....realizing, I yelled, "Molly!"

I took off running.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:40 pm
thelostone says...

I burrowed my fists into my swollen eyes, focusing on what Teddy had told me. I can find him, anything's possible, he said.

"Lynnox!" called out a small voice. I recognized it as Molly.

I took a deep breath and followed her voice, still cradling my hand. "Molly?" I asked.

Suddenly a loud slam echoed through the hall followed by a scream. I hadn't believed in the rumors about the ghost until now.

"Molly?" I yelled. "Molly where are you, baby?"

"Help!" I heard her screech.

I bolted down towards her yelping and fear crept up my spine as I realized where she was.

"Molly?" I said, pounding on the closet door. "Molly, babe, are you in there?"

"Lynnox! Help me, please!" She whimpered.

With my bad hand lying helplessly by my side, I yanked on the door handle with my other hand. It was locked.

"It's gonna be okay, sweetheart. I'm right here."

I heard her sniffle from inside the closet. No matter how hard I pulled the door wouldn't open.

"Hello?" I screamed down the hall. "Someone help us!"

Max came sprinting down the hall. "Lynnox! Where's Molly?" He asked breathless.

"In there." I gestured. "I can't get her out! It's locked. Max, what do we do?"

Panic washed over his face. "Molly?" He banged on the door. "Monkey, it's me!"

"Maxy!" She cried. "Get me out of here!"

"Lynnox, help me." Max instructed.

"I can't!" I protested. "My hand! Hang on," I turned towards the closet. "Molly? Honey I need you to be brave for a minute, okay?"

"Okay." She whimpered.

"I need you to turn around and look in the closet. I need something small and skinny, got it?"

Max paused from yanking on the door and looked at me. "What are you doing?"

"I can pick the lock." I explained. "I just need something to do it with."

"Are you sure?"

I nodded. It was a skill I taught myself when my Logan and I had bounced around foster homes. "Molly, did you find anything?"

"Yes, but I'm scared."

"Monkey, don't be scared." Max coaxed. "Slide it under the door."

A small hair pin was carefully pushed under the door. I picked it up, my face sheet white. "Max..."

He gulped.

It was the ghost girl's hair pin.

"Just do it." Max waited anxiously.

I got on my knees and stuck the pin through the small hole, twisting it and pushing it to unlock the door. With a small pop, the door swung open.

"Monkey!" Max said relieved, scooping Molly up into his arms and showering her with kisses.

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:30 pm
Clarity says...

Cassandra/ Cassie

It was the day before the train was due to arrive. Everyone was running around the orphanage gathering any of their belongings to stuff into a bag and take with them. Of course, not many of us had many belongings. My bag consisted of two black tops, one short sleeved and one long, one deep red short tee and two pairs of black jeans, I also carried my watch with me. I didn’t have very many personal belongings, just odd pieces here and there; some went missing over the years.

The orphanage was noisy today, since everyone was busy chatting about the train and how some wanted to be adopted by a loving family, and some who couldn’t wish for anything more than to avoid being adopted. Which was the majority, myself included.

I was walking down the hall towards the girl’s bunks after grabbing something to eat, with my head down. I couldn’t be bothered to talk to anyone today. I just wanted to get everything over and done with, and avoid being adopted tomorrow. But, knowing my luck, I just had to bump into Lynnox, who didn’t look too happy either.
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

11 Reviews

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:14 pm
Liv says...

Max

"Maxy, what are you doing?" Molly questioned, holding onto my belt loop with two fingers. Ever since the supply closet incident she's refused to go anywhere without me.

"I'm packing your stuff, Monkey." I explained, putting a stack of her dresses into her bag, "We're going on a trip, you see. We're going on another train."

Her face was blank for a moment, them her grip tightened and she asked, "Asre they going to take me away from you?"

Sighing, I placed her stuffed monkey in her bag - last night I had cut the back open and put all of my money in it for her. My sewing was horrible, but the thing was falling apart anyways. Besides, if there was a chance she got adopted I preferred she had the money, not to mention the note I left.

"Well Molly....do you remember last time? All those people came to see you?" She nodded in response, so I continued, "Well there are going to be more people doing that, and someone might decide to adopt you. But if someone does you just need to remember to hold on tight to your monkey, just like we talked about, and remember that I'm coming for you. Okay baby girl?'

Her lip began to quiver, and I smiled down at her as I zipped up her bag, "Don't be sad, Monkey. I'm your big bad brother, remember? No one is going to take you from me, not for long."

I couldn't promise her that she wouldn't be adopted. I couldn't promise her I wouldn't be. There are a lot of strange people that come to these things, strange peoole that ordinarily may not be allowed to adopt. Strange people that may want a scarred, intimidating, strong boy or a small, sweet little girl. All I could do was hope she would be fine. And if I thought she wasn't going to be....well, there's a phone call or two I could make.

"I love you forever, Maxy." Molly whispered, wrapping her thin arms around me in a hug.

"I love you too always, Molly. Always." I whispered in her hair, gathering her in my arms.

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:44 pm
ForsakenAngel says...

London

I didn't have many belongings--a couple of shirts, some shorts, a pair of jeans. All of my things fit into a small bag that I could throw over my shoulders and go whenever I needed to. Sometimes I wished that I had more; that I had a family. I wished that someone would take me and buy me things a normal teenage girl would have. And then I realize that I wouldn't want any of those things if it meant leaving my brother.

The train was coming tomorrow, and I wanted nothing more than to run away tonight and leave all of this behind. I packed my things nonetheless, knowing that there was no escaping the train. Greyson and I would get on it with all of the other kids. If we were lucky we would make it through this time without getting split apart. Grey only had one year before he was old enough to leave, and when he left, he had promised to take me with him.

Patience was the key, I suppose.

"All packed up?" Grey asked, coming in and sitting down on my bed. I nodded absently, pushing my bag under my bed with my foot. I sat down next to my brother, leaning my head on his shoulder and letting out a deep sigh. "What's wrong?" He questioned, putting an arm around me.

"I'm scared," I admitted for the first time in my life. Greyson always knew how I felt, so I rarely had to tell him what was wrong.

"We'll make it through this year, I promise," he said, trying to comfort me. I shook my head, looking up at him with honest eyes.

"I'm not scared for us, Grey. I'm scared for the others. I've made friends with them, and I'm scared something bad will happen. What about Molly and Max and Lynnox and even Cassie and Teddy, even though I don't know them that well. What's going to happen to them?"

"I don't know," he admitted, looking down at the old floorboards of the Orphanage. "I wish there was something we could do--some way to help all of them. But there's just no way we can keep everyone safe, plus ourselves. I care about them as much as you do, there's just not much we can do but keep ourselves alive for the time being."

"That's selfish," I said sadly. "But it's true." We both fell silent for a moment before I spoke again. "Greyson?"

"Yea?" He glanced over at me, his eyes scrunching together.

"Promise me that if you come up with a way to get out of here, you'll include them too."

He didn't answer at first, and I knew he was debating on how to respond. I wondered if he had already come up with a way to get out and if this request was asking too much of him. I looked at him expectantly, waiting for him to answer.

"Alright," he sighed. "I promise."

Spoiler! :
Alright, so Greyson doesn't actually have a plan yet. I was thinking maybe once the train starts, they can all sit down and talk about it?
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:22 pm
thelostone says...

Lynnox

"This is the stupidest shit ever." I grumbled to myself as I stuffed the garbage bag with my three shirts and two pants.

Tomorrow the train was coming. Everyone would be dressed in their finest clothes, and for those who didn't own nice clothes, the wardens will bring out the donated clothes. Luckily, I was one of the few who owned a decent piece of clothing.

I reached under my mattress and pulled out a tattered shopping bag. Through the tears I caught a glimpse of the soft baby blue fabric. Each train I wore my mom's dress. This time would be no different. I gently laid it out on my bed for tomorrow.

I will find you, Logan. I promise.

I stormed out the door and rammed straight into Cassie.

"Watch where you're going." She growled.

My temper flared and I whipped around. I had gotten in trouble for fighting at the orphanage before, but that's not going to stop me from kicking her ass.

"What did you say to me,bitch?" I snarled.

"I said," she glared at me, taking steps closer to me. "Watch where you're going."

"Or what?" I laughed. "You'll throw one of your temper tantrums? I'm not scared of a pathetic bitch like you."

She was suddenly in my face. "I'm pathetic? You're the one who can't stop crying when anyone mentions Boston." She jabbed my chest. "You're the one who's best friend is a seven year old girl. You lost your brother? Oh please, spare me. Everyone here has lost someone."

"YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE!" I screamed and pushed her on the ground, ignoring the orphans beginning to stare at us. I towered over her. "You don't know what it's like." I repeated. "to have the only person you love ripped away from you." I leaned over to look her in the eyes. "No one's ever loved you. Not your parents, not even your grandparents.They gave you up. They put you in this hell hole." I spat.

Cassie reached up and yanked me to the ground. "Your mom abandoned you for drugs." She snapped viciously as we wrestled on the cold floor. "She chose drugs over you and your brother." She cocked her head to the side, sticking out her lower lip in mock sympathy. "What was his name again? Logan? I bet he's out there somewhere getting beat up as we speak.. kinda like you."

Cassie punched my face, and despite the black spots taking over my vision, I slammed my fist into her gut.

95 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:50 pm
Clarity says...

Cassie

That’s it, I thought. She’s had it!

Lynnox screamed at me and pushed me to the ground; that was it for me. No more putting up with her shit anymore.

I was going to let her have it, not matter the consequences. I punched her in the face and she hit me in the gut. Things were getting fun.

“You fucking bitch!” Lynnox screeched as she tried to reach for my hair.

“Ha! Me the bitch? Take a look at yourself, you fucking skank!” I wrapped her hair around my hand and pulled back hard. “My parents didn’t love me, did they? They died in a fucking fire when I was too young to understand what happened! If they didn’t die I wouldn’t be in this hell hole! Unlike your mother, drug addict? Who chooses drugs over their kids?!” I was practically screaming by this point, both of us attracting more attention from all around the orphanage.

Lynnox reached back and got hold of my hair too, we were both on the floor, alternating between who was in the higher position.

“Aw, poor Cassie.” Lynnox mocked. “She lost everything, no one left?” She spat. She was taunting me now and I was sick of it.

“No, I’m on my own. But at least I don’t walk around the orphanage begging for sympathy, because ‘my little brother is lost without me’ wah wah. Who gives a shit?!” Somehow, we stood up and I pushed Lynnox against the wall. “Look at you, nothing better to do than mope around and act all innocent. You’re fucking pathetic!” I snapped.

“Shut the fuck up! You vicious cow,” Now she was the one pushing me. “My brother is the only thing I have left-“

I didn’t let her finish this one. I couldn’t stand the petty whining!

“Oh fuck off with this ‘my brother this’ and ‘my brother that’ at least you still have someone left! Some of us have no one. NO ONE!” I punched her in the face again, sending her to the floor.

she/they

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:34 pm
thelostone says...

Lynnox

I wiped the blood dripping down my nose and stood up to face Cassie. "You know, I really don't give two shits what you think about me." I snarled and punched her again, smack in the eye. No more perfect eyes.

"And you think I care?!" She shrieked and pulled us down to the floor again.

Cassie turned red and flipped over so I was underneath her. Trembling with anger, she wrapped her hand around my neck, squeezing the air from my lungs.

"You will always be a whiny bitch." She tightened her grip. "And I hope with all my heart that you never find your brother, so you can be all alone. Just. Like. Me."

I craned my neck and bit down as hard as I could onto her arm. She yelped and loosened her grip enough for me to wriggle away and land a good kick into her side. Tears began to prick at the corners of my eyes and my whole body screamed out in pain.

"I will put you in your place." Cassie threatened as she hit me again.

I felt my lip bust open and the metallic taste of blood filled up my mouth.

"I really do feel bad for you, Cassie." I smiled sweetly, sarcasm and venom dripping from every word. "Because in the end, I'll have Logan and you'll have no one. Just like always." I clamped her hands up next to her head and spit in her face. "So, in the big scheme of things, Cassie my darling," I whispered, still smiling about two inches from her face. "I win."

11 Reviews

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:38 am
Liv says...

Max

"What the HELL are you two doing!" I yell, grabbing Lynnox by the back of her neck and pulling her up.

With my other hand, I grabbed Cassie by her shirt and pulled her up.

"We have all lost people, I had freaking hot oil thrown in my face because my mother didn't care, I'm blind and deaf in one half of my face from it, Molly was attacked by a dog and almost lost the ability to walk, and you petty girls are fighting!" I shouted, pinning them both against the wall by their chests, pushing hard in my fury, "And you know what? This just made you BOTH bitches. Get over yourselves!"

I could feel the darkness in my face as I continued, "There is a freaking seven year old seeing you beat the crap out of each other. She doesn't need it, I don't need it, and you two sure as hell don't. What you just did is disgusting, you two are exactly the same, I can't even look at you. Get your act together or say goodbye to me and Molly! I don't want either of you around her unless I say you can, got it? Go ahead, see what happens if you go against that."

Moving close to their faces, pressing them harder against the wall, I lifted them by their shirts until their feet were no longer on the floor and said through my teeth, "A kid like me learns how to protect himself, but more importantly I protect Molly until I'm dead. If you so much as touch her without my permission I swear you'll regret it. Get in to another fight in front of her and you'll wish you hadn't. Got it? Good."

I dropped them both, shoving them both out of the room and slamming the door.

11 Reviews

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:36 pm
Liv says...

Molly

"Maxy?" I asked, but he didn't say anything. He simply kneeled in front of the chair I was sitting in and lay his head on my lap.

I reached out and combed my fingers through his blonde hair, and in response he closed his eyes. I pushed his hair back and began to run my hand over his scar, tracing the outline. I do this whenever he gets mad, and it usually calms him down.

I traced my fingers around his eyes, and they opened to look at me, one green one blue.

"Monkey, I want you to stay away from them for a little bit, okay? Until I say so. Understand?" He said, lifting his head from my lap.

I nodded, knowing better than to argue but too disappointed to speak - they were my friends!

Max reached his arms towards me, and I reached my arms around his neck. He stood, moving me to his hip, and I wrapped my legs around him.

"You're getting so big." He said, more to himself than to me.

Turning to look at me, he asked, "Come on, why don't you help me pack my things?"

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:17 pm
thelostone says...

Lynnox

"Got it, good." Max released me and I stumbled to the floor.

"Max!" I called. "Max, please! Wait!" I sprinted after him. I caught up and grabbed his arm. He quickly spun around and pinned me against the wall.

"What do you want?" He growled.

"Please," I squeaked. "You-you know I wouldn't do anything to hurt you or Molly. You don't understand I-"

"Oh I understand perfectly." Max cut me off. "You and Cassie are both bitches and I don't want either of you near Molly."

I sighed. "You're right." I said quietly. "It was a bitch move. If I could take it back I would. We all make mistakes, Max. I'm sorry. Please don't take Molly away from me. Like it or not, I need her. Please, Max. I'm sorry!"

Max's expression softened for a moment. "Sort things out with Cassie and we'll see."

"Max, I know how you feel. Remember, I've been through this too. When Logan was sold, I-I just..."

"Molly will not be sold away from me, Lynnox." Max snarled.

"I know." My voice nearly a whisper now. "I'll make sure of it."

I watched as his face contorted with conflict.

"This won't happen again, Max. I'm sorry. Please.."

Max let me go and started to walk away. "She's going to need someone tonight!" I called after him. "Just like every night before a train."

He turned around glaring at me.

"I'll be there for her." I offered. "I always will."

I turned around before Max could see the tears falling down my face. I wiped them away and looked at the clock. 6:03. I had about two hours before lights out. Two hours to make things right.

"Cassie?" I whispered, unable to bring my voice any louder. "Hey, we need to talk." I wandered around the hallway, looking in the corners. "Cassie, please. I'm sorry about what happened. Please, come out and talk to me."

95 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:09 am
Clarity says...

Cassie

Who the hell does Max think he is? I thought. I was going on a mental rant as I walked down the hall, as far away from anyone as I could get. As I was walking, I heard Lynnox gently call me name, saying she wanted to talk about what happened…

You’re calm…

I was feeling better than earlier, and actually thought we needed to talk too. It wasn’t fair on little Molly, Max was right about that one.

“Okay, I’ll talk.” I said and walked out from behind the wall.

“Thank you, can we go somewhere to sit down?” She asked.

“Sure, I know a little spot outside, no one goes there. Mostly because it’s dark and everything, but you know, it’s a cool place…” I said and started walking towards my secret retreat.

Lynnox followed me to the little alcove. “I never even knew this was here…” She said, mostly to herself as I went and sat down on a nearby tree stump.

“Yeah, I don’t think anyone does to be honest. I found it a few years back.”

“Cool.” She replied. We sat in an odd silence for a few minutes before either of us decided to speak.

“So, uh, I’m sorry, I guess.” I said, quietly.

“So am I. I shouldn’t have said the things I did, I have no idea what you’ve dealt with.”

“I shouldn’t have said what I did either; I don’t know what you’ve been through. We both only knew tiny amounts of what happened, enough to hurt each other, I guess.”

“Yeah, so… what actually is your story?” Lynnox asked. At first I was weary, but eventually decided that it was best for both of us to know what each had been through.

“My parents were loving people; they were really great, from what I remember. But, one day while I was sleeping over at a friend’s house, my home caught fire. No one would tell me what caused it, and I still don’t know now.

After they died, I had to live with my mother’s parents because I had no other family alive that I knew of. They tried, I guess. But I think they always disliked me at least a little bit.

I started getting into trouble at school, even though I was only young. I think not having my parents was a stressful, as well as having grandparents who didn’t want much to do with me.

Anyway, my temper would flare up at the smallest of things, I’d have mood swings… they just got worse with the three years I spent with my grandparents.

Eventually, they gave up and sent me here. I didn’t know anyone and had never been good at making friends, so I was fairly shy. After a few months, I started to open up a little, and made a good friend, but she got adopted on one of the trains. I barely remember her anymore, but it made me learn not to try and get too close to anyone.

I learnt to take care of myself, and adapted a way of being really stubborn, which, as you probably know, gets you into shit with the wardens.

I guess since then I’ve hated feeling helpless and have just tried to avoid being adopted for half of my life.”

Lynnox sat silent for a moment, thinking about what I’d let her know. I’d never told anyone else, in detail, about what happened when I was younger.

“I’m sorry Cassie, I didn’t know…”

“Hey, how could you have known?” I said trying to lighten the mood a little.

“Good point… well, I’m, glad Max broke us up, who knows how out of hand we could have gotten.” She said.

“Oh, don’t start with Max, please.”

“Huh, what’s with the attitude?”

“Sorry, it’s just that he pissed me off with the way he thought he had some sort of authority over me. The way he pinned us up against the wall? You can’t tell me you didn’t hate it too.”

“I see what you mean… but he was only doing what he thought was best.” She was defending him, stupidly enough.

“Lynnox, don’t defend him. Fair enough, Molly didn’t need to see that, but he didn’t have to react how he did! He could have just pulled us apart and got Greyson to keep one of us back, but no. The dick had to act all manly and do whatever shit he wanted, to look big and tough.”

“But…”

“No, Lynnox. Tell me you think that what he did to us was right? Do you really think that?”

“No… but he was just trying to help!”

“Help my ass, yeah he stopped us fighting, but he could have done it with a better method.” She had to admit I was right, no matter how much the girl liked him; she had to have some sort of boundary.

She sat there for a minute then sighed. “He was worried about Molly; I’d have done the same if it was Logan.” She said.

“Well I don’t have any siblings, so I wouldn’t know what that feels like.” I said, rather hurt. “Anyway, are you going to tell me your story or what?”

she/they

The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education.
— Martin Luther King, Jr.