z

Young Writers Society

Predators (Accepting/Started)

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:49 am
View Likes
Craz says...

What happens when the predators suddenly become the prey?

The Background:

Spoiler! :
Its current day in the thriving city of Atlanta, Georgia where the skyscrapers claw higher into the sky and fumes are pumped into the air at a regular basis. Life is normal, and the biggest threat comes from whether or not you get run over in the many streets that crisscross Atlanta's heart and soul. Terrorists only touch the Atlantans through the news and life is as much as peaceful as it can get in the city, with a low in crime.

But has anyone ever wondered who, or better yet what, has made it that way to begin with?

Meet the S.G.E.E.S. (Specialized Genetically Enhanced Elimination Squad), or for a much easier term, Predators. Genetically engineered to have the body and mind greatly surpass the average homo sapien, they are raised from birth to be utterly loyal to their government and to kill without question. They are the perfect soldiers that are raised to only believe what their higher ups tell them and that anyone that commits a crime should be punished.

The headquarters of this secret government organization exists in the bank skyscraper C & S Plaza. To get inside you have to go down a hidden hallway and through an Employee's Only door, which requires a password to get into and has a camera watching the door at all times. From there you take an elevator down to the bottom floor, and for the elevator doors to open you have to press your thumb into a thin strip of metal with a scanner on it that pops out next to the floor buttons. Once the door opens two guards must confirm that you have clearance, and gives you a curt pat down.

The Problem:

Spoiler! :
The fifteen Predators that are the only ones in the world are being targeted. Someone or something has murdered a fellow Predator, and once safely secure in the words of their commanders suspicion has entered their lives. The new targets seem to be nothing more than regular people, with all the same connection: they, in some way, are associated with the secret organization that they work for. Is it only paranoia, like they say? What if word leaked out and someone was trying to kill them all? Is it one of them, the Predators, that are killing their own kind? Or, what if their own leaders were eliminating them?

This is for you, the writer and the Predator, to decide. As the story goes on blind trust for the ones you love is now your enemy, and questions that would have been nonsense before are suddenly making sense. Horrifying realizations and new alliances are being made, and now you must decide which side you are on.

Who you Are:

Spoiler! :
Predator: You are genetically engineered to be smarter, faster, and stronger that naturally possible. You don't have a 'Mom' or a 'Dad', and you don't care. What your superiors say is God's word to you, but you are not an unemotional robot. You have your own opinion, and your going to need to know how to use it fast.
You have one specialty, which is what the government uses you for; this can be anything from lockpicking, hand on hand combat, heists, hacking, and medicine. Each of the fifteen Predators are classified by a number.

Agent: You are one of the trusted government workers that deal and look over the Predators. You can believe blindly that the Predators are nothing but weapons, or you can take sympathy on them. The choice is yours.

Human: You, by some coincidental event or meeting, have become involved in the S.G.E.E.S. Again, the choice is yours on how you want to handle the situation.

The Rules:

Spoiler! :
* Do NOT god-mod. No one will like you and its just plain unoriginal, and this also goes for killing a character without permission.

* This is a Crazycrat, I have ultimate say and one mean Terrier that will bite your ankles off.

* Do not join and post three paragraphs for your two cents to this Storybook. This is my second biggest pet peeve, and no I am not saying you should write two pages worth. All I ask is some effort, and if you don't have time to write and read them then don't join.

* Swearing is allowed, but don't overdo it.

* Romance is allowed but don't gush over sex scenes. No one wants to read it.

* No more than two characters because little ole' Crazy gets confused easily.

* ALL non-SB posts to the DT, which I will make as soon as the first character is up. Also, put your profile in the sidebar first.

* I might have said 'greatly surpasses', but that doesn't mean you can fly and all that junk. No magic.

* Remember when you read second biggest pet peeve? Well, Mary-Sues are my first. Don't make them and I will sleep better at night.

The Spots:

Spoiler! :
B: Tom ~ Thewritersdream
B: Apery ~ Sparkle
B: Kofi Burak ~ Auxiira

G: Keigan ~ Littleauthor
G: Lori ~ Crazycraz
G: Amaria Phillips ~ Thewritersdream
G: Mable Martin ~ Thewritersdream

Other(s):

I'll add more if it's necessary, but keep the gender ratio even.

The Profile:

Spoiler! :
Please get rid of everything in brackets, and remember to post your character in the sidebar first.

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b] (No Predator has a last name, instead put your number)

[b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Age:[/b] (18-21 for Predators)

[b]Position:[/b] (Agent, Predator, or Human)

[b]Appearance:[/b] (I would like a picture, but if you can't find one describe your character in detail)

[b]Personality:[/b] (Be realistic, now)

[b]Faults:[/b] (since your body is practically invincible, do personality faults, REAL ones)

[b]Specialty:[/b] (PM me if you can't think of a good one, and it has to be something useful)

[b]History:[/b] (If you are a Predator you are literally raised in a lab, but still be creative about it)

[b]Up for Love:[/b]

[b]Other:[/b]

First post will be just before the murder.
Last edited by Craz on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:45 pm, edited 16 times in total.
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

77 Reviews

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:22 pm
View Likes
Craz says...

The DT:

Predators DT
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

77 Reviews

Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:30 pm
View Likes
Craz says...

First post!

Lori - 9

There's something about the moment just before lightning hits.

The dark clouds crouched over the city, roiling and tensing as they prepared to strike. The lights from below faintly illuminated the clouds, giving them ominous highlights as they swirled. I was on the roof of the many skyscrapers that clustered Atlanta, leaning down to open my sleek back metal suitcase that accompanied me everywhere. I quickly and quietly assembled what was inside.

Once it was all put securely together, I positioned it on the lip of the top of the building, flipping out the stand and laying flat on the ground to peer into the scope.

"Target in sight." I said in a quiet tone. It was an aging millionaire man this time, mid sixties, with a graying hairline and a fancy with young women, despite the fact that he was married. He was on his top floor, a private pool that must have cost thousands, with three other unknown women with him.

"He has three unknown females with him. One looks early thirties, the other two early twenties. Holding position." I adjusted the stand and the scope, focusing on the man.

After a few moment's pause, a deep voice came from the earpiece. "Leave no witnesses."

"Affirmative." I quietly loaded the sniper rifle, taking a moment before pulling the trigger. The man, who was reclining onto one of the many chairs with the youngest looking woman sitting on his lap, jerked backwards and fell into the chair. Soon the young woman who was in the process of opening her mouth to scream was limp on top of him, and I moved to the one that was bolting for the door. She tumbled to the ground, and I switched to the remaining one before she screamed, and her body fell inches from the lip of the pool.

"Mission complete." I slid the rifle down, where I took it apart and put it carefully back in the case. I locked it and slid on my black leather gloves as I walked to the stairs, and once I was in the lobby life around me carried on as if nothing ever happened.

The cleanup team was no doubt already at the murder scene, disposing the bodies and cleaning up every sprinkle of blood that dotted the concrete. Then once they get rid of the women, they will prepare the millionaire's body to simulate a heart attack. I was to walk down four blocks like any regular Atlantan carrying on with my time, where my ride was waiting.

Above, thunder rolled. It was my favorite weather, not during the storm, but right before when the air was charged and ready and was heavy with the promise of rain. The rain itself wasn't that bad either, and I was always fascinated with lightning. Every bolt was unique in shape and velocity, like me, like us.

Out of the corner of my eye I spotted something in an alley, a half hidden bulge that blended into the black and dirty ground. I knew I was supposed to carry on and be as unsuspicious as possible, but something in the back of my mind was nagging me to look. It was probably a ripped garbage bag, or at the most a dead dog, but I soon found myself crouching in front of the body anyways.

It was an early twenty year old male dressed in all black, completely still and as pale as a fish's underbelly. I bent over him, carefully moving his head sideways so I could see his face. He had messy carrot colored hair, with a narrow face and a long distinguished nose that struck a cord within me. His eyes were open, a once curious pair of green eyes dull to the world. I cringed back in shock, dropping his head with a thud.

Brief memories insulted me. Him laughing at his own stupid joke. Him insisting on keeping a stray puppy he found on his way back from one of his missions, and then pouting when the Agents said no. Him teasing my seriousness. Him buying an ice cream for a little girl on the street.

No, it can't be. He was the best one of us all.

I stood and began to pace, pressing my finger on the earpiece.

"This is Lori, Predator Number Nine. I am reporting the murder of Ralph Predator Number Thirteen in an alley off of 6th Street Northwest. I repeat, Ralph Predator Number Thirteen has been murdered. Requesting backup immediately."

I continued pacing, becoming more frantic as the minutes passed. Impatient, I turned to the body, to him, and began looking for an entry wound. There was a small incision over his jugular vein; was he injected with something? I looked into his face again, trying to calm down. Then slowly, I closed his eyes.

Above me, the first lighting came.

Who could have done this?

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:27 am
View Likes
Skydreamer says...

Amaria Philips | Agent

She wasn't going to sleep. She wasn't. But as the moon moved across the sky, She felt tiredness creeping into her. It was something she could not escape, it had been a long day. There had been a series of gang members who needed to be killed. Their connections brought forth more trouble, and possibly terrorists to the region. There was no other way for them, and whenever that was the case number nine, was called in to take care of it.

It also meant a lot of researching had to be done and a lot of backup checks. They needed to know exactly what was going on and who was with the target at the time. It was a very tedious task. She had already called and prepared the forensic team who would be cleaning up. Soon after the job was done, they would make it all look like a heart attack, it's happened that way many times before. She sighed. The cost of protection.

She knew this was serious business so she stayed in the office, the main headquarters. She decided if there should be any calls it's better to be where she could quickly contact the other government agencies and also, our other counterparts for back up. It was also easier to connect all of the fifteen through the office.

She tapped her fingers on her desk impatiently. She checked her watch, it was nearly one am. 'Things better happen fast' she thought. Almost immediately after there was a call in, the radio receiver blinked red and sounded. She pressed the button on her desk hearing sound.

"Target in sight." was said in a hushed tone. Number nine had got him. She smiled, she knew that from here on out, it would be quite easy, she was ready to see how long it would take Nine to complete it. Nine continued,

"He has three unknown females with him. One looks early thirties, the other two early twenties. Holding position." Amaria was nodding though Nine couldn't see her.

Amaria was listening in, but she wasn't the only one, she heard a deep voice, another one of the agents telling Nine to leave no witnesses. "Perfect," Amaria whispered to herself. "Affirmative" followed. And in less than a minute, there came a, "Mission complete." She would have shouted with joy, if she felt she could. Instead her small smile turned to a grin. That's what you call genetic engineering! She thought. There were no mistakes, no fall outs, nothing wrong whatsoever. And there never would be. With this comfort, she put her legs up on her desk and leaned back a little. She rarely did so, but it was just too late, and the day had been full.

She had been asleep only ten minutes before she received the communication signal. She jumped up as she heard a shaken number Nine speaking into her receiver.

"This is Lori, Predator Number Nine. I am reporting the murder of Ralph Predator Number Thirteen in an alley off of 6th Street Northwest. I repeat, Ralph Predator Number Thirteen has been murdered. Requesting backup immediately."

She was stunned. She stumbled around her office trying to find the alarm that would summon all the fifteen. When she discovered it, she pressed the button with all her might. After they were all on the line, fear crept into her. 'How could this have happened?' she thought. She sighed.

"All Predators, if you have not already found out number Thirteen has been killed. Number Thirteen, or Ralph has been killed. Please report to the HQ offices immediately." her voice broke, "And take no time, we have a serious investigation on our hands."
I believe in that, which is not seen.
I call it truth, faith, hope, life.

~~~~Sometimes life beckons us to be different~~~~

I used to be known as thewritersdream, but now my dreams have taken flight

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:07 am
View Likes
Auxiira says...

Kofi Burak | Agent

"Target in sight." Nine's voice whispered into my ear. "He has three unknown females with him. One looks early thirties, the other two early twenties. Holding position." Sleepy. I yawned and took a sip from my coffee.

"Leave no witnesses." You know the drill. Leave no targets, leave no witnesses.

"Affirmative." I lay my head back against the wall and closed my eyes. Don't sleep. Amaria'll get mad... A minute or so later, Nine's voice came again.

"Mission complete." Good... I stood up straight and looked at the forensic crew in front of me.

"You heard Nine. Let's get a move on people." The yawn at the end kind of destroyed the serious tone I was going for.

We traipsed up the stairs to the top floor and I took another deep yawn as I surveyed the scene. Nine was efficient, as always. It made my job a lot easier when the deaths weren't messy. Three women, one target. The women can be disposed of easily, and the big guy... I looked at the scribbles on the back of my hand. The big guy has died of a heart attack. The usual. I yawned again and took a long drink from the cup in my hand. Coffee is my best friend, I thought lazily as I walked around the deperting clean-up guys, checking the floor.

"Hey, Baz. There's blood here." I called out to my nearest helper and pointed to the floor.

"Yes, sir." He hurried over with whatever was in that spray can of his and got rid of the tiny fleck of red. He turned to me. "What's he meant to die of?"

"Heart attack, Bazzie. Hop to."

"Isn't that your... " I raised my eyebrows at him. He knew better than to ask that. "No, right, I'm onto it." He sighed and turned away again, shaking his head as he approached the man.

"This is Lori, Predator Number Nine." Nine's voice blared into my ear, making me wince. I had talked to Amaria about the sound levels, but apparently I couldn't hear it otherwise. Meaning that it was loud enough to wake me up. "I am reporting the murder of Ralph Predator Number Thirteen in an alley off of 6th Street Northwest." Oh dear. This isn't good. I repeat, Ralph Predator Number Thirteen has been murdered. Requesting backup immediately." She sounded upset and I remembered that Thirteen was the nice one, always joking around. Damn. He helped me keep everyone in line.

"All Predators, if you have not already found out number Thirteen has been killed. Number Thirteen, or Ralph has been killed." Amaria's voice called into my ear. She was panicked. You should calm down. 'Tisn't the end of the world. Please report to the HQ offices immediatly. And take no time, we have a serious investigation on our hands." I sighed.

"Keep cleaning up, guys. I have stuff to do." I left the room and sulked down the stairs. I want to sleep, not deal with dead Numbers. I set my cup down on the nearest flat surface and reached into my pocket for a hair-tie. Once my hair was up, I found my crumpled packet of cigarettes and lit one, taking a long draw of smoke. This is going to be one hell of a long night.

(He's going to go help Nine, btw. He's just taking his time.)
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

159 Reviews

Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:16 pm
View Likes
Skydreamer says...

Tom # 7 | Predator

The pad was completely dark and no sound passed through it. That was how he liked it when it was night. Even though he rarely slept, the darkness and the quietness gave his brain and memory a chance to calm down and recharge. There was nothing to catch it's attention nothing to bring him to the point of activation. It was the closest that he got to real peace each night.

Sleeping was a special gift for him, it was a chance for him to slip off into a blissful world where he had literally dreams and thoughts that he was sure were completely his. Personally his, only his. Nothing creeping in from the things they programmed into his computer brain. And yet, he didn't need it. No, unlike the regular human, sleep was not essential to him. He was not built for sleep, it was not meant for him. Instead he was meant to lie on his bed like he was at that moment, trying his best not to think, so that his mind could concentrate on resting and rearranging.

He was also meant to feel the buzzing of his brain as his mind was carefully filing all the information he had attained earlier in the day. Nothing was missed; if he saw a squirrel acting strangely his brain would take note of it. So at recharging time, it would make sure that all this information was organized in a easy manner, where he would be able to pull out at any time. It was very convenient for him, and for the Agents because they didn't have to wait for him to recall anything. He could remember it instantly.

He had left the window open and an augurous draft came in and nearly threw him out of the charging zone. It was a delicate system and his body had to be completely still, but the draft was cold, and he shivered. The “pad” was a bachelor pad apartment that was filled with all the amenities a 21 year old man could want, in a classy 20 floored apartment building in Seattle. The living room was carefully styled in a masculine manner, everything was brown or black, the couch was fabric, not leather though and it was plaid with light-brown and black stripes.

It matched the wooden features that decorated his living room. His wooden coffee table took the most light as it brought forth a commanding presence, large and carefully designed. The wood was clean and quite dark. And on top of it was a thick layer of protective crystal light glass that protected it from potential spills. There were also a couple of coasters strewn over the table. Directly across from the table was the LCD flat screen TV that also commanded attention, but was mostly ignored. With his seeing ability whenever anything was going on live, he could still read minds, and that took the fun out of everything.

He also didn't find the TV or movies entertaining at all. How could they be? Were they not entertaining for their drama? For their humor? For their connection to everyday life? Well, he saw and heard, and experienced everyday life already. And not just his, but a whole lot of other people’s. So, for him watching TV not only would be pointless it would be tedious. His TV was for show.

Deciding to get up and close the windows, he paused the recharging, by blinking tightly three times and then got up to fix his issue. As he was doing so, he got a call. It rang throughout the apartment and it rang also within his mind. Running a hand through his hair and wincing he struggled to get it under control, eventually he answered it, via his brain computer.

'What is it?' He asked his mind.
His eyes closed tightly shut, and emotion poured through him as he was told about the passing of his friend and co-Predator. Everything seemed to be a blur, his brain was hurting slightly, and thus he couldn't hear Amaria clearly. 'What was going on?! How did this happen?' these thoughts had no time to settle. He was pulling on proper clothes and getting ready to head out the door. This was grave business, but something inside him told him to be quick. He had to be quick.

While running out of the door he accidentally bumped into someone, when they looked at him, he read their mind. 'Crazy-guy'. Not realizing he had intercepted the person’s thoughts, he shouted at the person.

"Get a life! I see you've got three kids and no job, do something about that before judging me," the man looked at him with immense shock. He hadn't said a word out loud. Tom then realized he had not uttered a word for human ears, he instantly cooled down. “Sorry, man.” he said, and patted him on the shoulder.

He had no time to waste though, he sped out of the apartment, grabbing his car keys from John, the hotel butler. He needed to know what happened to Ralph, Ralph his best friend, Ralph the one that always did what he was asked. Ralph who was teaching him to learn how to separate his thoughts from the programmed thoughts they ran for him. Ralph was gone? Murdered? Anger boiled within him, whoever killed him was going down.

77 Reviews

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:12 am
Craz says...

Lori - 9

Lori eyed Ralph, and then quickly glanced away and resumed pacing. She had heard the order through her earpiece, but she was hesitant to comply. She wouldn't, couldn't, leave him alone. Not at least until she knew for sure that someone was here with him, and so far only unfamiliar faces passed through her sight of the street. She backed up until she was for the most part invisible in the shadow of the buildings, crouching and folding her arms in front of her.

Still, her stomach cringed with anxiety at the thought of disobeying orders. Maybe it was by her unwavering servitude for the government she protected, or her fear of disappointment. Her mind fought over itself like a dog with too many fleas, clawing and biting itself until Lori assumed that this would be the time a human would get a headache. Lori brushed her bangs away from her eyes, a crease appearing between her eyebrows and her lips thinning into a frustrated line.

Why Ralph? Why now? Who could have done this? She was turning into a mess of emotions that she could barely recall by name.

Then, she heard footsteps. She cocked her head to the side and instinctively reached for her handgun, something she kept on herself for emergencies. Pulling the gun in front of her, she swiftly stood and faced the man, the barrel moving up and leveling at his forehead.

The man raised his hands nonchalantly, blowing out a lung full of smoke as he said, "Calm down, Nine. No need to get all fired up for no reason."

Lori then saw the outline of his face, and slid the gun back in its place. He bent down to where Ralph laid in the rubble, and tsked. "Aren't you supposed to be heading back, Nine?" He said in a sleepy voice and then yawned, his cigarette sliding to the edge of his mouth as smoke slipped out.

"Yes, sir." She said, making her move to leave. She glanced once again at his body, her emotions rolling in the pit of her stomach. She pressed her lips tighter together and quickened her pace to Headquarters.

~~~~

When the doors of the elevator slid open, the scene in front of her was in havoc. Or, as havoc as it could ever get. She brushed past the guards after they finished checking her and searched for the woman that had ordered them all here, a young agent that went by the name of Amaria.

Her office was already crowded with other Predators, and Lori quickly slid past them until she was directly in front of the woman. She was bent over her desk, her hands made in to fists in her streaked hair, and Lori waited until she finally looked up.

"Oh, thank God." She exclaimed in a heavy sigh, closing her eyes briefly before taking a long swig of her black coffee. She dipped her head as she swallowed, and waved her hand in the air. "Tell me everything."

And so she did. Lori told her everything as much as she could, but for some reason her tongue twisted when she was about to finish up and tell her about the mark on his neck. For some reason, her instinct was telling her to not say anything about it.

The agent caught her pause. "Anything else?"

Lori quickly stood up straighter and looked the agent directly in the eye. "No, ma'am."

"Okay, then. You are all dismissed, but do not leave Headquarters." She said, and then turned to her computer and began typing, most likely a report.

Lori stepped out of the office, the notch reappearing between her eyebrows. She quickly sought out the quietest spot she could find, and sat down, her mind racing. She was so spaced out that she didn't notice the approach until their shadow was already leaning over her. She looked up.

"Why did you lie?"

Spoiler! :
I'd like this to be a Predator.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:55 pm
Swiftfurthewarrior says...

Catkin-Predator Number 15

Catkin pressed herself against the cool wall and strained her ears to listen to Predator Nine's report.

"Target in sight. Three unknown females....Mission complete."
She sighed in relief. Good. At least some of us can get the job done right.
Suddenly, her blood ran cold and her heart stopped.
"This is Lori, Predator Number Nine...reporting the murder of Ralph Predator Number Thirteen...alley off of 6th Street Northwest...requesting backup immediately."
Her breath froze in my chest. Ralph? Predator Number Thirteen? No, it can't be... This is impossible!

The alarm went off,and all fifteen predators lined up in perfect formation like a mindless school of fish.
She quickly took her place in the last row, right next to Number Fourteen.
He glanced at her nervously and she motioned for him to face the front.

Amaria stood at the front, scanning them with a grave expression on her face.
Catkin quickly slid a white square of paper from her pocket and passed it to Number Fourteen.
He stared at the paper in shock, then looked at her to confirm it was true.
She nodded grimly.

"All Predators, if you have not already found out number Thirteen has been killed. Number Thirteen, or Ralph has been killed. Please report to the HQ offices immediately." Amaria's voice broke, "And take no time, we have a serious investigation on our hands."
Lori, Predator Nine was reporting the incident, but she didn't look too happy.
The formation broke as everyone scattered to collect the items needed and report to the Head Quarters.

She strode briskly to her apartment and flipped on the light.
Her belt of knives, hand gun, and dirk were layed out on her bed.
She quickly buckled on the belt, slid the gun into it's case, and slipped the dirk into her boot.
On her way down the hall, she passed Nine and stopped.
"Why did you lie?"
Hi
Spoiler! :
Yes, I know I need a signature.

An author paints with words, an artist writes with paint.

67 Reviews

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:55 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

Kofi Burak | Agent

I sulked into the Headquarters, not quite sure whether I was awake enough to be annoyed or not. I hadn't smoked since I had dropped Thirteen off in our van, but the smell of smoke clung to be like a koala, and I knew that Amaria wasn't going to like it. Is it any of her business if I smoke or not anyway? It wasn't, but I wanted to stay in her good books. She could be scary when she was angry.

A quick check over of Thirteen's body hadn't really given up any clues except a small cut on the neck. Which could've been anything really, but I'd look into it later. Why he was in the alley, or how he had died were still, and thus the reason for my not-quite-annoyance. I would need another coffee, a few hours of sleep, and maybe another smoke before I was actually ready to care about anything that happened.

Another thing I wasn't sure I cared about or not was the fact that Nine had pointed her gun at me. What the Numbers did didn't really bother me, but it had reminded me that they would be extra work now that one of them had died. It didn't help that Nine had announced it as a murder, when Thirteen could've died from Natural causes, like a heart attack. It was entirely plausible. And deaths can be hidden or covered up. You know that all too well, I thought with a small smirk.

After picking up a coffee from the nearest machine, I made my way to Amaria's office, pushing the door open without asking as I took a sip of the steaming liquid. The room was filled with the other Numbers and was completely chaotic. Some of them were yelling due to their specialties, wanting fast answers. Amaria was behind the desk trying to control it all. She looked up and saw me, her eyes relaxed a bit.

"Good, Kofi, please talk to Number Twelve on what happened, he won't believe me. Also, why didn't you come sooner?! How many times do I have to say, when it's an emergency, it's a freaking emergency!"

"Calm down, I'm here now, aren't I? Twelve. Really now. Thirteen is dead. Gone. If you don't believe me, then go down to the morgue and check. Oh, but don't touch. I need the body." I took another sip. Still sleepy. "I didn't come sooner;, because, well... coffee." I showed her the large cup of coffee in my hands. "Now, if everyone could just calm down," I stressed the words as I walked through the Numbers to get to the desk, "then we could maybe get on with working out what happened? And by that I mean shut up and get out." I set the cup down and looked back at them. "Shoo." I gestured with my hands. They looked at me resentfully then filed out. Amaria let out a sigh of relief and grabbed her coffee, almost groaning when she saw it was gone. She gestured for mine.

"Exceptionally." She took it, taking a large drink before setting it down again.

"Now," she said."Tell me absolutely everything,"

"There's nothing to tell, really. Backstreet, just off of the main road, dead for a bit, small cut on his neck, no way of telling how he died. Whatever happened, it's not showing up at first glance. It didn't even look as if there had been a fight there. He could've been taken there after he died, but that would be ruling out the fact that he could've died naturally. I don't think we should do that yet."

"Why would he be at an alleyway? I mean it doesn't make sense, he wasn't supposed to be there in the first place. If he was alive I'd be yelling at him. What was wrong with him?!" She hung her head. "How long do you think it will take them at the morgue to test his body for cause of death?"

"If it shows up on what we have? Not too long. Lunch time maybe. If it doesn't? We have a murder mystery on our hands, counting Numbers. You can't tell them not to ever go out. Even an object wants freedom." I sighed and looked around for somewhere to sit. "Chair?"

"On the other side," she said, pointing across the room. I went and fetched it, then sat down with a huff.

"Never get any sleep in this place." I muttered.

"You never get any sleep? Ha, you have no idea. Also though, I just remembered something, you said he had a scratch?" I nodded, pointing to the same spot on my neck.

"Right there. Pretty small, like a needle mark or a small scalpel incision. Or anything else small and pointy." Her eyes widened for a moment, and then she quickly came around her table, and looked into my eyes.

"Tell them to check his throat for any kind of unknown substance. You wouldn't believe the things I've seen, someone's on to us. Someone knows about them."

"I already pointed out the scratch. They would've got to it in the end, but I pointed it out and told them to check first. And I bet I've seen more horrors than you." I rubbed my wrists.

"Let's not compare, you won't be able to sleep." You'd be the one not able to sleep. "Do you know what? Nine didn't tell me, she looked into my eyes and told me there wasn't anything else. That's not like her, she tells me everything," she continued worriedly. I leaned back in the chair.

"Honey, calm down. They're worried, and hyped up and aren't completely thinking straight. Maybe she didn't even see it."

"Who are you calling honey?! Take something seriously for once!" she looked annoyed, yet there was a small smile of amusement on her lips. I smiled back sleepily.

"Just take everything slightly slower and it all makes more sense. Is there anything else I have to do, or can I go and make sure that they're not trashing the place, then go and sleep?" She sighed and nodded.

"But first, you better get yourself some more coffee, because I'm keeping yours and who knows when they'll calm down."

"Base arrest for them all? And why can't you get your own coffee?" I asked petulantly, just to annoy her. It was fun to tease her.

"Please, just go," she exaggerated the go, dragging it along. "I'll buy you coffee tomorrow, if I'm alive!"

"You will be. And I'll hold you to that." I stood up and made for the door. "So everyone's staying here including us, right?"

"For at least two days, yes, and even I'm pissed about it so don't give me a hard time." I'm not going to.

"A cell would be fine for me," I murmured as I left the room.

Most of the Numbers were milling around in front of the office. As soon as they saw me, they started questions. I closed my eyes, trying to fend off an impending headache. Coffee and sleep. "All of you just shut up!" They quietened and I sighed. "Everyone, and I mean everyone, is one base arrest, and before you start complaining, we are too. That doesn't mean you come and pester us about Thirteen all the time. He's in the morgue if you want to go look, as I told Twelve, but don't touch, don't get in the way of the guys down there. In fact, don't go down there until tomorrow, when I'm awake. It'll make all of our lives easier. Make sure that everyone knows. Now just go to your rooms and stay there. Don't make me say please." I waited until I was sure that everyone was actually doing what I had told them to do, then got a coffee, drank it all quickly and went to my room to sleep.

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

159 Reviews

Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:33 am
Skydreamer says...

Amaria Phillips | Agent

She had called everyone in to see if anybody had any information, instead she met a group of people or Numbers as confused as she was. After Kofi left she took another big gulp of his coffee, and felt herself feeling almost sad. She didn't like this crack in their system and she didn't know what would happen next. What she did know was that once something crazy happened, it would only lead to more crazy.

"Why would they kill him?" She thought out loud. She felt she knew after discussing with the other agent, what was going on. She felt it was whoever was calling the office demanding to know more about the Numbers with a muffled voice. She had originally thought it was just to freak her out, but perhaps not.

Perhaps it was a real enemy that they would now have to face. She didn't want to think about it at all, she wanted to be lying in her comfortable bed in her comfortable home. It was nightmare being there, seeing tears spring up from their eyes. It almost truly hurt her the whole situation. She went to her rolling chair and sat, leaning back on it, she would have to send all the information she learned that night to the government asap; to Homeland Security. It was going to just be great getting in that mess. She sighed for what could have been the twentieth time that night as she quickly finished her report, adding the new information she had attained from Kofi. 'Thank goodness he told me,' she thought.

Had he not told her she possibly would not have been able to let their chief correspondent from Homeland know. And if he didn't know she could have been fired or worse. It made her cringe at the idea that Nine had kept that from her. Any minuscule detail was immensely important. It was the reason she had gathered them all there in the first place, so that she could know everything and pass it on.

She hated being lied to, being deceived, but most of all, she hated that she could have possibly missed something, missed something. It was insane to her, how that could have happened. 'Aren't they programmed somehow?!' she wondered. But most of all she wondered why it was Nine felt she had to lie to her. It made no sense, she never exposed classified information. Perhaps Nine didn't want the government to know. That made her think, what if? What if Nine knew more than she was letting on about everything.

'Don't jump to conclusions' her mind warned her, but she wasn't sure what else to think. She decided the very next morning she would have a talk with Nine. Or something. There was a sudden call in to the office. "There was a witness," the voice was easily recognizable, the only person she feared in the whole operation. He already knew? She slightly shivered.

"What?! Get the person in handcuffs and over here!" she yelled, afraid but angered.

"No,"

"Why not? This 'witness' could actually be a suspect," she lowered her voice but was still anxious and frustrated.

"This person could just be an insider, and she had went to the police. So you get it under control, she's not the one, I'm sure." and then the line cut.

'She?' Amaria wondered, almost immediately a fax came in, she jumped at the sound of the machine. Walking over to the machine she looked at what had came through, a picture printed of a bright eyed red-head woman. The woman looked like she couldn't hurt a fly. 'They are the most suspicious,' she thought. She knew she wasn't going to have any sleep that night. She decided to call Number 7 and get him to contact her. She rang him up and he came back to her office instantly.

"Tom, hi,"

"What is it?" his tone was serious, he knew she only ever called him in for him to stalk people. She knew that he hated it. She always had him go the extra mile when it came to finding information on people.

"I need you to get to know her," she said pulling out the picture from the fax machine and showing him. He took it and stared at her face for a moment.

"I can't read the picture, it needs to be live," he told her.

"I know, but I want you to find out where she is, then once you meet her I want you to find a way to bring her here, but you can't make a scene. And don't you dare tell any of the others about this. The only one who could know is Kofi, but don't even tell him." she said.

"Why not?" he asked.

"I don't have to give you that information Tom, now please go," she asked him. Then she smiled at him, "And could you get me another coffee on your way?" He sighed.

"Yeah, when do we know who did it though?" there was a surprising hint of anger in his tone. She didn't like it.

"I don't know Tom! It's frustrating me too, I really just need that coffee, and you need to find this girl, then we can all get some sleep!" Tom glared at her for a moment, and then nodded.

"Yeah, sleep." he murmured while walking towards the door. He turned around.

"Do I bring her in tonight?" He asked. She nodded.

"And don't let her leave," she said winking at him. He left quickly in furry and slammed her door.

"Don't you do that!" she shouted to the air. Sighing yet again she landed on her chair almost breaking it, and cursing to it. These were the days she wished she had a different job, she was on the brink of just screaming and quitting. She yawned and stretched her hands up, leaning back in the chair.

"If not for the perks," she whispered and smiled to herself as she was slowly falling back asleep; exhausted.

159 Reviews

Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:19 pm
Skydreamer says...

Mable Martin | Human

I was so lost. Why did I have to get lost? Now tears were flooding from my eyes and I had seen a dead man. For the first time in my life, I've seen a dead man. I tried to get his face out of my mind, but I couldn't it was right in front of me, staring at be blatantly. I shouldn't have gone to the stupid senior college party. I should have been in my apartment studying. What was I thinking? 'Berating yourself isn't going to help!' I reminded myself the useless pain of hindsight.

"Is there anything else you wanna tell us?" the police officer asked. Honestly he looked deeply uninterested. He probably even thought I was just a drunk college student making up the whole story.

"You know what sir? I think I'll go back, if I could get a ride that would be wonderful," I knew my voice was shaking, who's voice wouldn't be after hearing sounds one should not normally hear, or seeing things one should not normally see? Even I was doubting whether or not everything I had just been through was real. Who knew walking home alone in the darkness could cause me to be placed in the center of a murder in a dark alley. I wanted to just fall asleep and wake up the day before without having anything to do with the man, or the incident. And possibly avoiding the whole thing, by refusing more adamantly to the stupid party.

"We'll see if we have anyone to spare," he said giving me a pained expression. 'Really now?' I thought.

"Never mind, sir, I'll walk," They had already given be a test to see if I was at least sober enough to walk and I had passed. Which didn't surprise me consider I only had one drink, and even that was due to social pressure. Frustrated by the whole thing I slung my black bag over my shoulder and stood. I ran my hand through my hair knowing it was surely a mess. And then before the officer could say anymore I walk away and out of the horrible smelling police office.

I walked into an even worse smelling midnight. I took out my phones and checked the time. "Four am!" I was amazed that the police officer didn't even care to try to find someone for me. I walked as far away from the dark places as possible. I was just glad that where I was staying was nearby. My best friend and I combined our money to rent a tiny apartment downtown. It was closer to the rest of the richer college students who threw the best parties. The problem with that, being invited. I told Clara, I hated parties. But just being her, she ignored me, and she always tires to get me to come. The one time I agree, it's the one time I see someone get killed. I see a dead body. The face flashed before me again.

"Hello?"

I screamed loudly and randomly kicked into the air hitting someone, hard.

"Ouff! I'm sorry, I'm sorry," the voice said. He stepped into the light-post light and I saw a not-threatening handsome face with round glasses staring at me. He didn't look much older than me, but he also looked dead serious. He was staring straight into my eyes, causing me to stare back at him. I felt so strange and under scrutiny.

"Excuse me," I said, pushing him aside, and walking past him.

"No! Wait, I--you, you," he cleared his throat. "Do you need a place to go?" I was appalled. Who did he think I was? I didn't even stop and continued on, I hated those idiots. They must think all of us girls are just willing to go anywhere with anyone! It frustrated me to the core. I heard his footsteps behind me and quickened my pace. 'This is what happens when the police don't do there job.' I thought panicked.

"I know what you saw!" he yelled. My heart stopped. What was this? Why? I too stopped. Maybe he was sent to explain things to me, or, or finish me off! I wanted to run but my heart didn't let me, I waited for him to catch up. Once I heard his footsteps stop I turned violently towards him.

"Don't even think you can take advantage of me! I know how to fight, and I can make you sorry you ever said hello." I stared at those wondering eyes of his, to let him know I was dead serious too. "What do you want from me?" I asked on a softer tone a volume.

"I don't, I have to ask you to trust me," he too was looking at me, but he had a sort of pleading look about me. One that made my stomach churn. Maybe I should, cool down? Maybe there's someone trying to actually help me. He continued, "I've been sent to take you to someone who will listen to you about what you say tonight, I work for a private security company," he said after thinking a moment. I nodded, for some reason I almost couldn't explain, I believed him. I had a knack for telling honesty, I knew who to trust and who not to, and I had a strong reason to believe him, he knew what happened.

"So, you know, you know all of what I saw?" The man before me teared up a little bit, and then he nodded.

"Yeah," he said softly, "Yeah I do." I was speechless, he knew and his tears were springing back up my own. They fell quickly, I couldn't wipe them away.

"I don't know what to do! I went to the police, and they didn't believe me, and I didn't even tell them all of it! I feel so, I feel so useless. I feel so lost. And that's what got me in the mess in the first place! I was trying to get back and I was lost, and I heard a voice and it--and I--" I could no longer continue. I started sobbing, he awkwardly tried to hug me but I pushed him away.

I wiped my tears away. "S-s-sorry," I told him trying to compose myself. "Sorry, I'm just so stupid sometimes, and I wish I hadn't seen him, but that's a horrible thing to say isn't it? And I just wish I could have done something," I continued to ramble on. I wanted to hug him, but he was a stranger, and I was no fool. He didn't try to console me any longer but instead kept his head down and nodded. "What do you need from me?" I asked finally figuring we should move on.

"I need you to come with me," he said. I could hear the tenderness in his voice, he was asking me to trust him again. Honestly I didn't know if I could. I didn't think that I could go with someone I had just met somewhere that I didn't know, I needed proof.

"I need proof," I told him. He sighed. He took off his glasses and showed me the other side, his view. It was filled with statistics and videos, and all sorts of online websites. Including a google page of me. "What does this prove?!" I asked him, although I already fully believed him.

"It proves that I work for a company that could afford this," he said lifting the glasses. I laughed involuntarily. He smiled.

"Fine, I'll go with you. But if I see something wrong I'll make sure you see the full side of the justice system." I told him. He nodded.

"Just, please come, you'll have all the more proof you need at the headquarters. My cars just over there." I followed him to his car and got in the backseat. I was taught it was always safer in such cases. He rode with speed as if lives depended on it, I bet they did. We arrived at a large building that seemed much bigger than it let on. Also most people never, ever noticed this building, it was hidden behind two of the most popular shopping malls in the city, and so in a way, it was hidden in plain sight. He went into the parking lot and once he parked, before I could get out, he went around and opened the door for me.

"Oh, what a gentleman," I teased getting out one foot after the other. He tried not to smile, but I caught him. He led me through the large and winding parking lot, as we were going in, someone was coming out and took out a smoke and lit it. He had long black hair and looked like he hadn't slept all night. The man leading me in kind of froze for a moment not sure what to do. He started taking slow steps back, but the man noticed us.

"Oh, Seven, mornin'. Who's the lady?" he said. Seven? His name is a number? I wondered, 'No, silly, that's his security number, or something.' I was confused. He on the other hand was getting red in the face, obviously embarrassed. Why would he be embarrassed? Am I not supposed to be here? I turned to him in anger and whispered.
"What's this about? Why doesn't he know all about me?" The man was still thinking over what he should say it seemed. His face seemingly scrunched up and then he finally relaxed.

"Don't tell Amaria, she told me not to tell you, but she's a witness."

"Oh. That's nice." He took a drag of his cigarette. "Well. She's pretty." He smiled at me. 'Seven' got redder, and even I blushed. It was so straightforward. I gave him a very small smile, it didn't last long though.

"I don't know what's going on," I told the two of them, getting serious. "But somebody better explain to me what I am a witness to and why I needed to be here, and who this Amaria person is!" I was getting tired and it was the next day. I just wanted some answers, I didn't come along with a stranger with a number name and tech glasses for nothing.

"You'll get answers upstairs. Normally. Well then. Apparently I have people in my morgue, so I'll go sort that out. Maybe."

"Come on, I'll show you Amaria," The seven guy told me and walked forward to an elevator, so what? I was a sucker for bad boys, and the smoking guy was obviously one. I lingered a little staring him down and then followed the person I came with.

"Who is he?" I asked, but the man ignored me and pressed the elevator to open.

The tenth floor was where we were going. Once we arrived there was a lot of monotony, meant to throw people off. Also there was a lot of security and cameras everywhere. I knew this was some serious place that dealt with such stuff. I walked behind him when we turned to another hall, again, and then another hall, when we entered a more secluded area without anything but white walls and the hall seemed endless. After a while automatically the guy stopped and I noticed the door there, in the middle of what seemed to me like nowhere. He didn't bother knocking and opened the door.

I saw a massive, massive office and lots of gadgets all over the walls and on the big desk that captured the eye of anyone who walked into it. I then noticed a woman sleeping on it, face down. Her body heaving slightly every time she breathed. In all truth it was a very humorous sight to see, and if this hadn't been such a dire situation, I would have laughed my head off. The man looked a little unsure what to do, so I decided to take charge. I cleared my thought.

"Ahem, excuse me?" the woman didn't even stir. "Excuse me?!" I almost shouted and she immediately lifted her head in surprise.

"What? Huh? Who is that?!" She shouted as she looked at me suspiciously. She then had a moment of recollection, like she remembered me and then she straightened up even more. "Wait, you, you're the witness!" she said as if she just solved a case. I tried not to laugh and nodded a bit.

"In flesh and blood," I said, but then I sobered. It wasn't right of me to make fun of such a serious and sad situation, hadn't I just been crying, what was wrong with me? I sighed. "I'm Mable, I can guess you are the Amaria?" I walked up to her and lifted my hand, I could tell she was in charge. She looked at me vehemently and almost looked away, she looked like a mess, her hair was a mess, but I could tell she was a pretty and confident woman who didn't like to be wrong, or didn't like to be stood up. I smiled at her. She took my hand and gave me a slight smile as well.

"Yes, I'm Amaria," she said shaking my hand. She then turned to the man, "Tom! My coffee?" she asked him. He looked devastated and shut his eyes for a moment.

"I forgot,"

"You what!" she screamed. "I have to deal with a witness and you forgot my coffee?! What is wrong with you? Don't you have a brain the size of the sky? Why did you forget? How could you forget?!" she took her hand and slammed it on her table, "Please go get some for me now," she asked. He nodded, and was gone. Tom. His name was Tom, so why the heck did the other guy call him seven? I was even more confused. "Please, take a seat," she told me pointing to a chair next to me. I pulled it to my side and sat.

"Why am I here?" I asked her before she could say anything else. She smiled.

"Get comfortable darling because this is going to be one very long story." she stood up and went to file cabinet and pulled out a very thick file. "Let's start from the beginning shall we?" I started to brace myself for what was to come.

67 Reviews

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:36 pm
Auxiira says...

Kofi Burak | Agent

I woke up with a start and rolled onto my side with a small groan. I hadn't been lying to Amaria when I had said that I didn't get much sleep. I didn't allow myself to. I glanced over at my clock. 4:57 the red lights blinked back at me. Time to get up then. I flicked my covers off and tumbled out of bed, landing on my feet. Quickly finding my clothes, I got dressed the ambled out into the corridor to get a coffee.
It wasn't that early and there were already quite a few people up and about, getting on with their jobs. Coffee and smoke to start the day. If I'm cooped up inside all day with Amaria, then there's no way I'll have another moment to smoke. Amaria's dislike of smoking was absurd. It gave you a buzz and calmed you down a little. It would be good for her nerves. I drained the coffee in my hands then headed for the parking lot, the. Only place I could smoke in the damnable building without being caught by Amaria, and even then...
I had lit up and was already half way done when I saw Seven coming with a girl. I told everyone to stay in their rooms. So shall I spoil your fun a little?

"Oh, Seven, mornin'. Who's the lady?" I asked nonchalantly. I small smile of satisfaction twitched my lips as I watched Seven's face crumple slightly. Get used to it. I'm in charge here.

"Don't tell Amaria, she told me not to tell you, but she's a witness." Amaria said... that's nice of her. We can talk later. Something's wrong when the Numbers know stuff the Agents don't.

"Oh. That's nice." I took a draw of smoke to calm down a little. "Well. She's pretty." I smiled at her, not really bothered about her reaction, just watching Seven. He blushed, making my lips twitch again. I should be done now. I think you've learnt your lesson. But I'll play with her a bit more, later.

"I don't know what's going on, but somebody better explain to me what I am a witness to and why I needed to be here, and who this Amaria person is!" I only half listened to her rant, hearing a report of two Numbers in my morgue. No one listens, no one does what I say. What on earth is happening to my authority? I almost sighed.

"You'll get answers upstairs. Normally. Well then. Apparently I have people in my morgue, so I'll go sort that out. Maybe." I would, but I was tired and annoyed, and unauthorised people in my morgue meant that I had to tell them off.

"Come on, I'll show you Amaria," Seven said as he walked towards the elevator. The girl glanced back at me and I almost smirked. Sorry Seven, but she has a crush on me, for the moment.

Once I had finished my cigarette, I hurried down to the morgue, another coffee already in my hands. It seems that no one is in the mood to listen to what I have to say. My teammate doesn't trust me any more than I trust myself to dream, and Numbers are rampaging. It's brilliant. I pushed open the door to find one of the morgue staff waiting for me.

"Which ones?" I asked curtly.

"Nine and Fifteen, sir." What a surprise.

"Do you know where they are, at least?"

"No, sir." I rubbed my forehead.

"Wh- no, fine. Just go back to trying to find out what killed Thirteen. I'm guessing you don't have too many leads?" I could tell just by the look on the man's face. I watched him leave, then sighed. Think. Numbers. Upset Numbers. Nine and Fifteen. They want answers, probably. Answers... I took a swig of my coffee. Specialities. Sniper and hacker...Hacker! Answers from the computers.

I hurried down to where the computers were and saw one turned on, with two girls huddled behind the screen. Busted. I dumped my cup into the bin and strode into the room, making sure my steps made noise.

"Ladies," I stated loudly. They looked up at me, guilty as hell, but also seeming as if they had discovered something.Better and better. "I'm sorry to break up the party, but I distinctly remember saying not to come down here. And if you don't remember, then something like the fact that, oh, I don't know, you were told to leave should've made that pretty clear. And hacking the company computer, as I have also said before," I reached down and unplugged the computer, "is not allowed." Shouldn't get told off for unplugging it. 's not like I've done it before. I leant on the top on the monitor, looking down at them. "Care to explain?"

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:02 pm
littleauthor says...

Keigan | #4

Keigan listened closely as they announced number 13's death. She was nervous and existed in a sickly way. The existent came from now being able to be able to I vesting ate more but she was more or less nervous from the overwhelming fact that some knew how to kill them. The others separated as soon as the lecture was over but Keigan didn't move. She stood for a second taking it all in before tossing a piece of her own hair over her shoulder heading towards the gym. 

"no better time to get some training in then now." Keigan mumbled pulling her hoodie off throwing it on one of the benches outside of the gym. 

Her black tank top defined her muscular arms as she tightened her leather boxing gloves around her hands. She pulled her long hair up in a pony tail and bounced on the balls of her feet ready for a fight. Keigan jogged into the gym and started off roundhouse kicking the punching bag that hung in the corner. It flew to the side giving Keigan the time to get ready to punch it. Her fist connected  several times before she had reached her max. She jumped in the air doing a spin and then kicking the bag sending it off the ceiling and crashing into the wall. 

"Good," Keigan said wiping the sweat off her forehead with the back of her hand.  

Keigan quickly jogged out side for her hoodie before going into the locker rooms for a quick shower. It was a large white tile room with 10 showers and 15 lockers. She turned on the 2 shower against the wall waiting for it warm up while she undressed. Keigan hopped inside the steaming hot showers the water giving her instant relief. She lathered down with the lavender body wash and apple shampoo till she felt like a new person. She turned the faucet and hopped out of the shower smoothly wrapping a grey towel around herself as she did. Keigan quickly dressed in a clean pair of grey skinny jeans and a navy tank top. She tied up her old brown combat boots and left. 

Keigan walked into the main room of the HQ and sat down on one of the large leather couches. She bounced her foot on the floor taking out her pocket knife. She carefully inspected each blade before becoming satisfied and sticking it back in her boot. Keigan could hear bits and pieces of conversation but of corse nobody would approach her. She was ignored mainly because everyone knew she would be perfectly fine if you left her in a cage with lion who hadn't eaten in a year. Keigan would probably leave without a scratch. The conversations of the people around her filled her ears and soon she couldn't take it anymore, she needed someone to talk to. 

"Hi," Keigan said to a predator standing next to one of the large vases surrounding the HQ. 

Spoiler! :
can be anyone. Sorry I haven't posted I was at camp and now on I'm on a road trip so please excuse my absence.
It's better to be WEIRD than boring

77 Reviews

Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:46 am
Craz says...

Lori ~ 9

Lori stared at Fifteen, her mind struggling to turn its gears. Instead of answering her, Lori stood and started pacing, fingering her bottom lip. She started mumbling as she sketched out a plan in her head.

"Are you going Rogue?" Catkin exclaimed with her eyes a mix of confusion and a slight suspicion, though half-hearted, watching her from the side. Lori glanced at her, her train of thought temporarily disturbed. Rogue was a term that they, the Predators, were not supposed to know about. It described the previous failures of making Predators, and how they had gone insane and turned on their captors, killing a good part of the Agents at the time. Catkin had been the one snooping in the classified folders a few years ago, the one that had told the rest of them as soon as she found out. Still, this was the first time Lori had ever even attempted to lie or go against the people who made her, let alone actually do it, and her stomach was a mix of anxiousness and thrill.

"No, no, no." Lori shook her head and resumed pacing, sighing heavily. "There's something going on. Something... that only the higher ups would know. Ralph wasn't rash enough to get murdered, let alone weak enough to. Someone had to be close enough... close enough to inject something inside his jugular vein. Without him knowing."

Lori halted and stared at Fifteen, still fingering her bottom lip. Catkin looked like she was starting to regret ever asking in the first place, her eyes shifting so slightly to the left, towards the door. Anyone else wouldn't have seen it, but Lori was engineered with above average eyesight.

Before she could make her move to leave, Lori did the one thing she also had never done in her life; plead. She gripped Fifteen's elbow and looked her directly in the eyes and said, "If you want answers, please come with me."

After explaining what they were going to do, Lori and Catkin walked unsuspiciously to the entrance of the morgue. Catkin accusing her of being a Rogue had given Lori an idea, but it would have to go without a hitch if they were to go in without getting caught.

Because there was one thing Lori could always rely on; the fear that the lower ranks had of the Predators.

Lori took a big breath before they turned the corner to where the extra security stood watch. Her transformation was instant; her back became ramrod straight, her steps long and sure, her chin cocked up, and her eyes bullets. Catkin did the same next to her.

The security didn't flinch as they held up their hands to stop them. "No Numbers in the morgue."

Lori looked from one to the other, and then directed her attention to the one that spoke. Her words were bitten out with compressed anger as she said, "Who gave you the right to stop us?"

They exchanged glances, the first sign of nervousness. "Kobi did." The one that had spoken earlier said.

Lori deliberately stepped right up to him, leaning forward until she could smell his breath and that their noses were almost touching. He leaned back, and the smallest flicker of fear danced in his eyes. Lori's own eyes flashed; a dangerously bright blue, and an unstable fury pulsed through her posture.

Her voice was barely above a whisper, deadly calm. "Are you going to stop us?"

After a short stand off, the man comically gulped and backed off, shifting his eyes to his partner who was glancing nervously at Catkin, whose expression was just as venomous as her own. Lori cocked her chin up some more and stared them down until they cleared the path for them, and then they quickly stepped in the direction of where Thirteen's body was being held.

Once they were out of view of the guards, they both immediately silenced their steps and glanced around for movement. The hallways were deserted, much different from the main wing, and it set Nine on edge as she maneuvered over to the door where he was being kept.

Nine quickly glanced through the glass door, and then snapped her head back around. It seemed as if everyone from the wing was in that one room, arguing and fidgeting and hovering over Thirteen's body, and her chest squeezed when she saw the sick interest on some of their faces.

"Shit." She hissed through her teeth, and then glanced around for plan B. She gestured for Catkin to follow her and they snuck back through the hallways, towards the abandoned computers.

She headed towards one of them, gesturing to it once they were crouched in front of it. "You think you can break into it?" She stage whispered.

Catkin glanced once at it, than turned back and nodded briskly. "Yeah, a piece of cake."

Fifteen slid into the desk chair and began typing feverishly on the keys, and Lori winced at the noise. She stood a little taller and kept her eyes peeled for any returning Agents.

"I'm in." Nine quickly bent over Fifteen's shoulder and searched the open screen.

"Look for something that might have to do with Thirteen's death. Check emails, secured files, anything suspicious."

Catkin's lips pressed together, but then she nodded and returned to her extreme typing. Lori glanced around once more and then looked over the windows and numbers on the screen. Then finally, Fifteen paused once she hacked into one of the secured files.

Lori read it under her breath. "S.G.E.E.S. Number Thirteen exhibits signs of unconstraint to superiors. Signs of individual thoughts and actions have occurred. Authoritative is beginning to wear off of subject, action must be taken immediately."

"Authoritative?" Catkin whispered. Lori began to rake her brain. Memories of Thirteen and Seven secretly meeting together came to her mind, and how they were always strangely extra wary of the Agents. Did they know something the rest of us didn't? Did they already know about the 'Authoritative'? What does individual thoughts have to do with anything.

Then the pieces began to form together. Lori opened her mouth to put words to her thoughts but it was interrupted by the heavy footsteps coming towards them.

"Ladies," Kofi's deep voice bounced off of the walls. They looked up at him, guilt clouding Lori's mind.

"I'm sorry to break up the party, but I distinctly remember saying not to come down here. And if you don't remember, then something like the fact that, oh, I don't know, you were told to leave should've made that pretty clear. And hacking the company computer, as I have also said before," He reached down and snatched at the power button to the computer, "is not allowed." He leaned on the computer, his eyes cutting between them. "Care to explain?"

Lori's mouth twitched as she was about to explain, but then she tightened her lips. What did she have to be guilty about? Finding out the truth? The fog that clouded her head seemed to get thicker, and Lori struggled to fight against it. She knew that she was loyal to the Agents, but not enough for her to be blind. Is this what having the 'Authoritative' means? Thinking nothing than what she was expected to?

Then her thoughts became clear. Her features calmed and she looked Kofi in the eye, no longer fazed by the punishment that was soon to come. Her lips formed the words she was about to say before, but this time by her own accord.

"We were just curious on how Thirteen died. If someone could have killed him, then they would have to know about us. If they can get him, whose to say that we aren't next? We were just curious, and I went to Fifteen for help. I accept my punishment."

Kofi sighed heavily, irritation laced in his laid-back manner, and he jerked his head towards the exit of the wing. "Ya'll are coming with me, now."

Lori followed him without hesitation. Since she was 'born', her life has been nothing more than what the Agents told her it was. She followed orders, didn't ask questions, and strived for success in everything she attempted. She was a perfect soldier. She was a Predator.

But now, she had uncovered part of the truth. She wasn't going to be faithful to the Agents anymore; she wasn't going to sit in their lap. Now, she was only loyal to herself and the Predators.

But first, she needed to have a talk with a certain number Seven.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:47 pm
Swiftfurthewarrior says...

Catkin-Predator 15

Catkin followed Nine as they snuck through the back hallways to the company computers.
"Think you can get in?" Nine whispered.
She glanced at them. "Sure,piece of cake."
Fervently, she began typing in the multiple passwords and security codes, then stopped.
She quickly scanned the writing. "Authoritative?" She hissed, quickly taking pictures by staring at it and blinking once.
"Ladies." She spun around in the chair. Kofi stood at the end of the hall.
Alarms went off in her brain. They were rarely wrong.
Her mind wandered as Lori made an excuse and accepted the punishment.
Suddenly, She was jerked back into reality.
She scrambled out of her chair and followed Kofi and Nine to receive their punishment.
"You two are confined to your quarters until further notice," Kofi explained, not slowing his lanky stride.
Catkin exchanged a glance with Nine, then slipped a square of paper into her hand and secretly passed it to Lori.
Nine hung her head like she was ashamed, opened it and read quietly. Meet me in my apartment if you can. I have some researching to do. You'd best be there, it's urgent, the note read.
Nine looked up and gave her the tiniest of nods.
Hi
Spoiler! :
Yes, I know I need a signature.

An author paints with words, an artist writes with paint.

shady and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws
— Tuckster