z

Young Writers Society

Mutants Anonymous (Started - Still Accepting)

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:32 pm
View Likes
Pencil2paper says...

Cara Darring/ Town

I groan, shoving myself upright. Garbage is not fun to sleep on. What I wouldn't give for a pillow... Then again, you don't want that to happen again. The first night, when I climbed into that empty bed... and then the guy came stumbling in at three in the morning. God, that was awkward.

Shoving these thoughts away, I jumped out of the dumpster and walked to the shadiest, darkest part of the alleyway. No sense worrying about the past. I've just go to keep moving, keep moving, keep moving. Don't even think about it. Never think about it. Once I check to make sure no one's looking, I will myself visible again, bringing down my force field in the process.

"What have we got here?" a man, stepping out of the shadows, whistles, looking up and down at me. "Somebody needs to be more careful when they use their powers." He takes a menacing step towards me.

I back up against the brick wall, heart pounding. Not again, not again, not again, I think, panicking. This can't be happening again.

"Now, are we going to do this the easy way, or the hard way?" He asks, stepping closer. I can see a bulge in the small of his back. He's got a gun. "You can either be a good little mutant and stay still, or you can try to run and Medi-co will be here in five minutes, tops. Which is it going to be?"

Still panicking, I look to my left and right. A dead end on one side, a barricade on the other. I'm stuck. Think Cara, think! I say to myself, trying to calm myself down. I try to assess my options as he inches closer. If I turn invisible, he'll still be able to predict here I went. He'll shoot me. My force field can do a lot, but it can't stop a bullet. He'll call Medi-co either way.

He's only inches away now, undoing his belt. "Good girl," he whispers, inching even closer. I look t the ground, disgusted. "Now lay down and roll over," he whispers in my ear. He's only millimeters away now. Close enough.

In a spilt second, I fist my left had and deliver a vicious uppercut, knocking him out cold. e falls to the ground, hitting his head on the metal edge of the dumpster. He falls to the ground, blood pooling under him from a head wound. His hood is already soaked with blood, but it's thrown away from his face. His eyes are open and blank, fixed on empty air. I check for a pulse. None.

I just killed someone. I just killed someone. Maybe I really am a monster. Maybe mom and dad were right. I dismiss this after only a minute. They locked away your sister. Thy took her to them. They're the monsters these normal people, not us. Besides, he was going to hurt me. It was self-defense. Don't even think about it. Just keep moving.

And that's what I did. I ran and ran and ran, again invisible, until I couldn't run anymore. I steeped inside the ladies' bathroom at the little market where I ended up. Checking to make sure no one was there, I slipped into a stall, willing myself visible again. I sat there for God knows how long, shaking. When I finally regained my composure, I stepped out of the bathroom again, plastering on a smile.

Just another day. Just keep moving.

Spoiler! :
Hope this is okay and not too.. intense
"Look out! He's got a daisy!"
- Making Money by Terry Pratchett

Chuck Norris- worshiping gnomes, undead pandas, pet chupacabras and undead Keanu Reeves-what could possibly go wrong?

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:42 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Spoiler! :
OOC: So. Things are getting interesting. This shows MA stepping up and out of the shadows, just a liiiitle bit. So, like, enjoy and stuff. Loki is interesting to write, and a bit of a challenge. It was hard to ban myself from using a specific term for Loki, as one is never sure what gender he or she original was. (My money's on male, but shhhh! >.>) Time stamp for this is between mid-morning and mid-afternoon, if you're wondering.

Loki | MA Headquarters, location unknown:

In an empty room in an undisclosed location, a bank of T.V. and computer screens sat across from a shadowed chair. The figure in the chair leaned back, one leg crossing over the other and feet propped up on the table in front of the figure’s seat. On the screens were the inner workings of the most infamous building known to mutants. Medi-Co, home of the government’s cruelest scientists. Several of the screens showed the various labs, several more showed hallways and what appeared to be a cafeteria. The cafeteria, at the moment, was empty. The figure in the chair knew why; it was very nearly seven in the morning. Medi-Co was usually pretty quiet before eight A.M. And none of the footage was live.

It wasn’t the cafeteria that was of interest, though. It was the main screen showing Bishop’s office.

She was a very busy woman, noted the figure with some annoyance. And she was on the move. The figure uncrossed it’s legs, both feet hitting the floor with a thump. On the screen, Bishop spoke with her new assistant, several other Medi-Co personnel, and then there was the boy with the vine-hound and the young man who just suddenly appeared in her office. The figure watched the exchange with intense curiousity, unmuting the main screen so the conversation could be heard and not just lip-read.

This was very interesting.

“Loki.”

The figure turned, eyes fixing on the man in the doorway. “Orion,” Loki said, a smile evident in his, or her, voice. “I should have known you’d come to me eventually.”

The man, eyes blind but fixed on Loki regardless, ran a hand through his hair, fingers catching on the pale blond strands. “Fox has been informed of a possible candidate,” he told Loki, eyebrows dipping into a frown. “She’s gone to pick the girl up.”

“Ah, new blood.”

“Indeed,” Orion murmured, moving further into the room. Loki turned back to the screens, attention fixed on the scene in Bishop’s office. It had all been recorded hours ago. “There is something else...”

Loki’s attention swung back to Orion. “What?”

“Medi-Co is on the move. They’re planning a planet-wide enslavement of us. And if we don’t comply?” Orion gestured to one of the screens. It was frozen on the image of the inside of a lab. The boy from Bishop’s office stood beside the woman in control of the entire operation Medi-Co was. Off to one side, a large vine-hound stood over an injured, cowering scientist. Loki knew the woman. Hastings, one of their own. A sigh escaped MA’s leader. Orion’s voice when he continued was grim; “If we don’t comply, then we die.”

The screen was suddenly turned off, and Loki stood, a remote in one hand. The leader of MA turned back to Orion. They shared a brief look, Orion with eyes that were blind and Loki with eyes that swirled through every colour known to mankind. Orion was the first to look away.

“When is this attack planned?” Loki’s question was met with a grimace from Orion. One hand gestured to the screen behind MA’s leader. “Orion, I am asking as a friend. Not an enemy.”

They stared at each other for another long moment before Orion exhaled.

“Tonight.”

Loki’s sigh was long-suffering and voiced in a thousand tones. “Then we must move,” Loki announced, “and soon.”

Orion inclined his head and retreated from the room. After a moment, Loki followed.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:05 am
View Likes
Pencil2paper says...

Sara Darring- Town Near MA HQ

My composure regained, I walked with the false air of confidence down the street, like all of the other pretty girls strutting across the sidewalk. The more attention I get, the better. I learned that a long time ago. I think that's why so many of us get caught. We're so worried that they'll catch us that we sneak around, but that only makes them more suspicious of us. If you want to blend in with a noisy crowd, vying for attention? You try to draw as much attention to yourself as possible.

I spotted a couple of officers a little down the sidewalk, heading my way. As casually as I could, I turned to cross the street, only to see that it's jamb-packed with cars. There's no way I can cross it without looking suspicious. But it's too late to just walk past either. I'll just have to wait it out and hope for the best.

I lean back on the brick front of a shop on the corner, inspecting my nails. I could practically feel their eyes on me, burning a hole into my casual façade. Growing more nervous by the second, I wait for them to move onward, to look away. But they don't.

"Ehem." the first officer, tall and muscular, blonde and clean-cut, prompts. New recruit, probably. Cocky. "Ma'am, we'd like to speak to you for a minute."

Fighting down panic, my instinct to flee, I smile, saying, "Of course officer. What about?"

"Well," the second officer, who was shorter and lankier with dark brown hair, started. "There has been a recent influx of mutants in this area, and we just want to ask if you had seen anything suspicious lately."

"Suspicious?" I pause, as if trying to think for a moment. Can't be too quick in answering, or they'll know something's up. "No, not that I can remember."

"Well, here's my number in case you do. Call me any time if you need something. Even if it's not technically 'for emergencies only'." Blonde said, winking.

"I will," I said, winking back.

They left, turning their backs on me, and I collapse against the brick wall, not really believing my luck. But not a second after I catch my breath am I taken by surprise when a hand covers my mouth, and another drags me from behind, around the corner. A soon as I'm around the corner, she pins me to the wall by one wrist, her other hand still clamped firmly over my mouth.

"Listen. You don't make a sound. You don't scream, you don't call for help, got it?" she whispered, "Or else we'll both go under the knife."

I nod, eyes wide. She uncovers my mouth, but still keeps my wrist pinned to the wall.

"I saw what happened back there. That was a close call. But you're not going to stay that lucky forever. I can help you. And we want you to help us."

"Who are you?" I ask in a whisper.

"I'm Fox,"- well that's fitting- "and as for who I work for... let's just say that we help people like you. Like us." For some reason, I trust her. I think I just know that she's telling the truth. Somehow, I know that she's like me.

"I'm in." I say.
"Look out! He's got a daisy!"
- Making Money by Terry Pratchett

Chuck Norris- worshiping gnomes, undead pandas, pet chupacabras and undead Keanu Reeves-what could possibly go wrong?

Just think happy thoughts and you'll fly.
— Peter Pan