z

Young Writers Society

Horizon's Edge: Accepting

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:30 am
View Likes
sylverdawn says...

plot: Five years ago, a celestial event, dubbed the White Flash, bathed the Earth in its awesome glow. Almost immediately, some people began changing ... and the Paranormal Effect had no discernible pattern. Age, race, gender ... none of it mattered.

Anyone can change ... At any time ... In any way ...

Now, the world is trying desperately to adjust. Those effected became known as Paranormals. And the nation's of the world quickly decided that they wanted nothing to do with them. Every month citizens must submit to a test, to prove they are still Human. If they fail they get shipped off to the new penal colony in Antarctica. Failure to comply with monthly testing is considered an admission of guilt.

The year is 2026, and you just turned Paranormal.

Spoiler! :
The Environment: Thanks to new technology the South Pole is now a viable living environment. At least for Paranormal's, who on the whole are hardier then humans. Think Himalaya's and the Rocky Mountain's.The world makes sure the Paranormals stay in the Antarctic by depriving them of all but the most basic technology. Aside from electricity, plumbing and running water its about on the level of the 1800's.

Spoiler! :
There are four classes of Paranormal in total.

Class 3: These make up the majority of Paranormals, about 50%. They manifest largely harmless powers. Such as the ability to grow hair, or change the color of things. You can also be placed in this category if you have a useful but very weak power.

Class 2: About 30% of Paranormals are labeled Class 2. Their the ones with useful abilities but unable to do direct harm. Like a person who can talk to animals, or grow plants.

Class 1: Class 1 makes up 18% of Paranormals. This class is made up of people with potentially lethal abilities. Such as telekinesis or the power to make lightning.

Zero Class: Only a mere 2% of Paranormals are placed in the Zero class. To be placed in this category you must fulfill two conditions. First, you must have multiple abilities, the various powers must mesh together in some form (ie: Super Strength + Invulnerability). This is known as a Power Set. Second, you must possess the innate ability for your powers to grow in strength. Most Paranormals manifest their abilities and that's it, their done. The Zero Class has the ability to "level up" so to speak.

There is also a rare sub-class of Paranormals. Most Paranormals know intuitively how to control their powers from the moment they manifest. A rare few people do not. They are normally killed rather then deported.

-----------------------
Rules: The usual rules apply. No god-moding, no killing off characters without permission, etc, etc...
------------------------
Characters: Please follow this character profile.

name-
age-
gender-
origin- (Country you were deported in. ie: where do you come from)
class-
appearance-
personality-
history-
power(s)- (If you are a zero class, please include how your powers will evolve over time)
other-

The story begins on the boat taking you to the Penal Colony six hours before you arrive in your new home.

sylverdawn~ Aden
littleauthor~ Kyler
crazycraz~ Aislinn Maloney
sunwater~ Erica Hagen
Last edited by sylverdawn on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DANCE- Like no-one is watching
LOVE- Like you've never been hurt
SING- Like no-one is listening
LIVE- Like it's heaven on earth.

Please read and review my novel. The title is Fireborn. Here's the link.

novel.php?id=1157

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:45 am
KingLucifer says...

Withdrawing
Last edited by KingLucifer on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

66 Reviews

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:58 am
sylverdawn says...

name- Aden
age- 19
gender- male
origin- US, by way of gypsies
class- Zero Class

appearance- Aden has messy dark brown hair, with crimson tips, his eyes are a brilliant gold and their is a scar across the left one. He's slightly above average in height, with a lithe slender build. Aden's is desceptively muscular, he looks scrawny but he really isn't. Aden also has a Triskellion tattooed on the back of his hand.

http://sakimichan.deviantart.com/art/He ... -119935468

personality- Aden is a thinker, highly intelligent, he's pretty much a genius although his school records show him as distinctly below average. This is because Aden doesn't apply himself unless something catches his interest. He has a temper like a stick of dynamite, quick to take offense, but also quick to blow over. A bit of a loner, Aden will stay on the fringes of a group until they earn his loyalty, but once given he will stick with his friends until death.

An accomplished liar and a bit of a con-artist. Aden follows his own personal code of honor, and if it doesn't mesh with society, so what. Once made he has never broken a promise, so he is very careful when he gives his word. A terminal case of wanderlust and curiosity has led Aden to view this whole exile thing as one big adventure... And that old saying about the cat, it has nine lives anyway.

history- Aden was born the son of a multi-millionare, but well let's just say his dad didn't really earn all that wealth honestly. His mother died shortly after he was born, falling down a flight of stairs she had climbed a thousand times before. For the first seven years of his life Aden was raised by a revolving door of nannies.

For his seventh birthday Aden's dad promised to take him to a baseball game, instead the old man skipped out of the country just ahead of an arrest warrant leaving behind his neglected son. Aden spent the rest of his childhood in the foster system, bouncing from home to home, and in and out of the juvvie system. Over the years Aden developed a talent for pickpocketing, and slight-of-hand. When he was fifteen Aden decided enough was enough, and took off after being kicked to the curb by yet another foster home.

The next four years he spent roaming the country, never in one place for very long. Aden mostly lived in the moment, until that is, he popped Paranormal. When monthly registration came around a few weeks later he passed himself off as a Class-2, only revealing his quick healing.

power(s)- Aden's Power Set includes his primary ability, Shape-Shifting, and two secondary abilities, Rapid Healing and Animal Speech.

Shape-Shifting- Aden has to have touched an animal in order to be able to turn into it. But it's not much of a limitation because he spent the weeks before being deported Sampling every animal he could find. He even went as far as breaking into a zoo/aquatic center. Aden saw the writing on the wall and made sure he had a wide base of animals to shift into. (Potential Evolution: Partial Shifting)

Rapid Healing: Any injuries Aden sustains heal quickly. Cuts and bruises are gone in hours, broken bones in days. (Potential Evolution: Regeneration)

Animal Speech: Aden has the ability to speak to animals, but only those he can turn into. So it has the same limitation as his primary ability. (Potential Evolution: Animal Control)

other- Aden has always lived with just the stuff he could fit in a duffel bag. As such he was able to take all his worldly possessions with him. Except his motor-bike, cell phone, I-pod, etc... He pretty much had nothing to leave behind, if Aden has any reason for returning to the "real world" it would be vengeance.

A side effect of Aden's abilities is that he has a tendency to exhibit certain animalistic qualities, even when in human form. He's very in touch with his instincts. Also, he's up for love.

novel.php?id=1157

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:36 pm
littleauthor says...

name- Kyler
age- 18
gender- Female
origin- US (Born in California.)
class- Class 1

appearance-
Spoiler! :
ImageImage
Her eyes are a silvery grey and they turn green when she is in a good mood, Which is now VERY rare. Her hair is super long and dip-dyed pink and blue at the bottom. She has a toned body and is always wearing her favorite combat boots.

personality- Kyler is super sweet and innocent but she can turn ruthless in a second. She is super smart and knows how to get out of situations easily. She is really good at persuading people into doing what she wants, but she's was born good at that. Kyler often puts people before her self and that always has seemed to get the best of her.

She is a bit of a Photographer so she carries her camera everywhere she goes. She always has it around her neck ready to capture the world. When Kyler makes a promise, she keeps that promise.

history- Her parents died when she was only a week old in a fire. She was sent off to live with her aunt and uncle till she was 6 when they died in a train wreck. Kyler was forced to live on the streets because she was the only remaining survivor of her family. She managed to persuade her way into getting food off of the restaurants down town and started up surfing. She started a small surfing business when she was 14 and has been running it since. Till the world went mad.

power(s)- Her main power is telekinesis but she can also change to color of objects.

Telekinesis- She can move objects with her mind but it can't weight any more than about 70 pounds.

Color change- She can change the color of any thing. From hair to the color of a blade of grass.

other- Up for love and she works well with other people rather than being alone.
It's better to be WEIRD than boring

66 Reviews

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:41 am
sylverdawn says...

*Kyler's profile looks good except for the fact that I specified Zero Class are the only one's with multiple powers. And the powers must be related to one another.*

novel.php?id=1157

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:34 am
Craz says...

name- Aislinn Maloney

age- 18

gender- Female

origin- Tramore, Ireland

class- Class 2

appearance- She has straight orange-red hair that falls to her mid back in no particular style and large sharp blue eyes. She is covered in a small amount of pale freckles and her figure is slightly curvy and fit with long legs. She has an oval face with a perky nose and a small notch appears in between her eyebrows when she is worried or irritated.

Spoiler! :

personality- Aislinn is a no-nonsense hardy kind of girl, and blunt when it comes to the truth. She hates it when people lie to her, even more if someone tricks her, and she has a bad temper. She can't stand any form of alcohol and drugs and people stepping on others. She's secretly kind, and the best way to describe her is like a mother bear. She is very trustworthy to those that she believes deserve it, and wary of everyone else. She loves to bask in the sun.

history- Born in Tramore, Ireland, Aislinn spent the majority of her time next to the shore. She has one older brother named Bradan who is graduating medical school right now, and her cousin Claire lives with them because her aunt and uncle died in a car crash when Aislinn was too young to remember. Her mother is a nurse, and her father is unemployed.
Aislinn's father, after being let off his job, indulged himself in alcohol. He deteriorated into half the man he was before, and Aislinn was disgusted by him. Both of them fought with each other every other night, sometimes breaking things in the process. She would occasionally get bruises and cuts when the fights got too bad, but she never minded them. Her mother never questioned her father though, which enraged Aislinn even more.

power(s)- She has remarkable healing power, and she has already a knowledge of healing because both her mother and older brother are in the medical field. However if she heals multiple times within a short period of time she will exhibit fatigue, weakness, and nose bleeds. If the wound is severe enough, after a few moments after healing she will have a more minor internal injury similar to what she healed, which she will hide. She can't heal herself.

other - Up for love.
Last edited by Craz on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:13 am
sunwater says...

name- Erica Hagen
age- 24
gender- female
origin- sweden
class- one
appearance-blond hair the goes a little past her shoulders that she normally puts up into a ponytail or a bun.Her skin is a very pale brown that does not burn under the sun very easily. you normally see her walking around in jeans and a tight tee-shirt that has some crazy symbol. she has brown tan riding boots that she always wears because she has had to beg her parents to buy them for her birthday and it finally payed off.
Spoiler! :

personality- She is fun and knows how to read a person most of the time and that way she can make friends easily because they feel safe around her. She is very smart but does not act like it because she plays it down for the reason guys may be scared of her and not want to date her.
history- Since being a young girl her parents pushed her very hard in school so she was always the smartest kid and got into the bast private school for free. then after she was done her parents handed her all different universities and she picked the Lund university.She found out about her powers when she was really mad at a guy on a street hitting a woman this scared both the man and women but shocked Erica at that moment.
power(s)- She can manipulate water with her mind to do anything she wants like float in a bubble form or make it rain water by making clouds.

other- would like to date a guy only

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:30 pm
EnigmaticSpirit says...

May I join?
Words cut deeper than knives.

66 Reviews

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:20 pm
sylverdawn says...

*Sure, If possible make your character a guy. Right now the girl-guy ratio is 3-1.*

novel.php?id=1157

Reviews: 0
Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:33 pm
starjester15 says...

*Could I make two characters, one male and one female, twins you see. Doesn't matter if I can't*
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.”
― C.S. Lewis
“Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.”
― Mark Twain

46 Reviews

Reviews: 46
Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:08 pm
EnigmaticSpirit says...

I'm really sorry but I won't be able to post until Saturday (the Internet has gone down completely until Saturday according to lousy Virgin Media) and I'm having to type this out on my dad's phone (his phone can access other wireless networks that my computer can't) But I will have my profile up by Saturday.

I'm sorry! Blame Virgin Media, not me!
Words cut deeper than knives.

66 Reviews

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:25 am
View Likes
sylverdawn says...

The SB will start Saturday afternoon. Until then anyone is free to join. Afterwards I would appreciate a PM. If possible I'd like the girl/guy ratio evened out, as mentioned above. In the meantime I will begin setting the stage for the SB.

novel.php?id=1157

66 Reviews

Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:32 am
sylverdawn says...

name- Kaleb Rhonen
age- 10 (and 3/4s)
gender- male
origin- (Canada)
class- Class 2
appearance- http://www.wallpaperfo.com/thumbnails/d ... com_41.jpg

Kaleb is an albino he's short, scrawny. And seems to give off this feeling of helplessness. This combinded with his white hair and red eyes earned him the nickname of Rabbit in school.

personality- Kaleb is timid and anxious he prefers to attach himself to people with stronger personalities. He rarely speaks unless he is very close to someone then he is a regular motor mouth. He's very artistic and he has a photographic memory.

history- Kaleb is the only child of very loving parents. He was born prematurely after many miscarriages and as a baby he spent almost as much time in the hospital as at home. A few months before his sixth birthday the White Flash occured and Kaleb's powers appeared immidiately. Like all Paranormal's he became hardier then humans. The immune boost finally allowed him to have a normal childhood.

When Kaleb's parents realized he was paranormal they concealed his powers and pulled him from school for a couple of years, until things began to settle down. His parents succeeded in hiding his powers until a babysitter caught him practicing in his room. When the authorities came to take him they tried to go with him but weren't allowed. At 10 years old Kaleb is on his own.

power(s)- Kaleb has the power to bring his drawings to life. It's one of the few truly unique powers in existence. He calls it Projection, because the things he creates don't last. As soon as he stops concentrating on them they begin to dissipate and within minutes they are gone. His parents made sure he had several sketch-books with him.

other- Not up for love, he's ten.

novel.php?id=1157

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:51 am
ForsakenAngel says...

Hey, is it too late to join?
Hakuna Matata <3
RIP to all my friends who didn’t make it.

Hop freight or get lost.

66 Reviews

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:22 am
sylverdawn says...

Sure go ahead, honestly I thought this thing had died before it even got started.

novel.php?id=1157

a little humanity makes all the difference
— Rosendorn