z

Young Writers Society

BFF

Reviews: 2
Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:56 pm
RainyDay says...

Morgan

"Will you save me a dance?" Meg asked, getting up to join her friends.

Giving her a warm smile, I replied, "Of course."

After she joined her friends, I headed to the bar to get a drink, where I found Martin.

"Hey, what do you know about Jade's friend?" I questioned.

He looked up at me from his scotch, squinting his eyes, and answered, "Honestly? That she's Jade's friend. Sorry, Morgan. But if you'll excuse me, I'm actually going to go talk to them."

Martin

"So. You like her, huh?" Nellie said bluntly, causing me to choke on my drink.

Wiping my mouth with a napkin and setting my drink down, I asked, "Excuse me? Have you seen us? We can barely stand to be near each other. All I needed was that ring, and I got it."

She rolled her eyes, and I could see her friends stifling giggles as she clarified with a wave of her hand, "Please, that's one step away from hooking up."

Was this girl insane???

"Martin, there you are!" Said the familiar voice of my boss, Richard.

He approached the table and asked, "Girls, have you seen my niece? I see you all have met Martin, but I wanted to introduce him and the Smith's to her. Martin works for me, you know. I'm actually surprised they haven't met. Martin, do you know my niece Jade? She works for me as well."

Smiling, I answered, "I'm familiar with the name - I think my mother met her briefly earlier, but I can't be sure. But I'm sure if she's anything like you she's a great worker and good at cards."

Turning to the girls, I clarified, "Don't ever play poker with this man, he'll bleed you dry! We used to invite him every time we played, but then we got tired of being broke!"

Richard laughed, and said, "Come on Martin, why don't we go find my niece together?"

Standing from my seat, I quickly finished my drink. As I placed the cup on the table, I gave the girls a wink and went to go find Jade. This could be fun.

Reviews: 1
Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:20 pm
TaylorLove says...

Meg

I smile and walk back over to my friends. "Why did you not tell me you were going to be a bridesmaid?" Nellie asks me.

"Well, I did not know myself until right before the wedding." I tell her she just laughs and nudges me. We talk for a while longer and then someone gets on the microphone. There was a band on a stage and one of the groomsmen stood there.

"Let's give a big cheer for our new married couple, EMILY AND MICHAEL." He yells into the microphone. We all cheer and they come out, holding there hands high. I scream for them and clap. "They will now have their first dance of husband and wife." Slow music starts and the go to the middle of the dance floor.

"That is too cute." I tell Callie.

She nods and links arms with me. "This is why I love wedding." She says. I look over and I see Dean take pictures. I smile and jump up and down.

"Dean is here!" I say.

She nods and rolls her eyes. "Yes, I know."

"Well, go talk to him." I say. She shakes her head and I roll my eyes. I get away for her grip and walk over to him. I tap him on the shoulder. "Remember me?" I ask, laughing.

"Yes, I am so sorry about," Before he can finish, I cut him off.

"Do not worry about it, it has happened many times before." I smile. "Callie is here and you need to convince her you are not like Liam." I tell him. "You seem nice, so it should not be hard." I begin to walk back to Callie, but I see her stare and go the opposite side of the room, quickly.
Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart
-Winnie the Pooh

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:02 pm
*coco says...

Jade

That smug, arrogant little ...

I stormed down the corridors of the manor house where the reception was being held, my heels click-clacking loudly against the wooden floor. I honestly had no clue where I was going, but I was so determined to get away that I'd managed to bump into at least eight waiters along the way.

"Is that an invitation? Because I think once in the women's bathroom is enough for me, but thanks."

Martin's annoying voice found its way into my head again and I let out an inward scowl. The jerk. There was no way I'd hide away in the bathrooms now - like some coward. No sir. I'd hide in the gardens instead. With that decision made, I followed the sounds of the water fountain hoping it would lead me to my chosen sanctuary. On the way I purposefully bumped into another waiter (one that was carrying champagne flutes on a tray) and artfully snuck a couple of glasses when he wasn't looking.

After another winding turn, I finally reached the courtyard where the gardens were and let out a sigh of relief. Kicking off my heels, I sat down on one of the benches and downed my first glass of champagne - purely out of nerves than anything else. This would work, I told myself calmly. I'd just stay out here until it was time to go home.

Just as I was about to down my second glass, I felt my phone vibrate. Setting down the glass, I opened up my clutch to answer.

"Yes, Nelle," I answered, after seeing her name come up on the screen.

"Jay, love, where are you?" she asked.

"In the bathroom," I lied, picking up the champagne glass.

"Oh, good, they won't find you then-"

"They? Who's they?" I interrupted, panic bubbling in my chest.

"Your Uncle Richie and Martin, they left to go look for you."

I honestly almost choked. "No! Stop them!" I shrieked.

"I can't, Jay, they've already left," Nellie replied. "Listen, just calm down, they won't find you if you stay inside the bathrooms."

I let out a frustrated growl. "But, I'm not in the-" I stopped mid-sentence. Realising that I was wasting time by talking, I quickly grabbed my heels and made a run for the bathrooms, cursing myself like a sailor for not going there in the first place.

A minute later I reached the lobby, colliding with yet another waiter as I did so.

"Are you lost, madam," he asked, eyeing my wild expression with confusion.

I swallowed. "Uh ... I suppose I am ..." I trailed, my eyes darting around the place to try and find the bathrooms. "I need the ladies room."

He was just about to raise his finger to point the direction, when the sounds of my Uncle Richie and Martin reached my ears. My head snapped towards the direction of their voices and sure enough, there they were, happily chatting away as they made their way down the corridor. Luckily, they had yet to spot me.

Once again, my eyes darted around, this time trying to look for a decent hiding spot. When I couldn't find one, I opted for the waiter.

Throwing him an innocent smile, I asked. "Would you mind terribly if I just hid behind you?"

I didn't wait for his confused reply, simply ducking behind him, hoping that I wouldn't be spotted.

Unsurprisingly, I had no such luck.

"Jade?" Like before my uncle's voice was laced in confusion. Groaning inwardly, I sheepishly stepped from behind the waiter and tried my hand at a casual smile.

"Uncle Richie ... I uh ... didn't see you there."

He rose a brow and looked from me to the baffled waiter. "Probably because you were hiding behind him."

My gaze shifted to Martin who looked like he was enjoying this immensely. I glared daggers at him.

"Is everything alright, Jade?" my uncle pressed. "I've been looking everywhere for you."

"You have?" I asked innocently, ignoring his question.

"Indeed," he replied, before putting his hand on Martin's shoulder. "This is Martin, the employee I was hoping to introduce you to." He looked to Martin and smiled. "Martin, this is my darling niece, Jade."
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:31 pm
TaylorLove says...

Meg

After I run away from Callie, I spot the new bride all by herself. "Excuse me, Emily." I say walking over. "This is your wedding day, you are not allowed to stand by yourself. It is like a rule." I say

"Who's rule is this?" She asks, laughing.

"Mine! I have made a lot of rules today." I say. I look on over to the dance floor and I do not see anyone dancing. "One of the other rules is, you have to dance." I laugh, grabbing her hands and pulling her hands on to the dance floor.

"What are you doing?" Emily asks.

"I am going to dance with you." I say. "Just follow my lead." I take her hands and spin her around. We begin to swing dance and Emily just laughs. I spin her around and she does the same for me.

I get a tap on my shoulder and I turn to find Mitchell. "May I please dance with my wife?" He asks.

I laugh and gesture to her. "She is all yours." I say, but before I can get off the dance floor, some man pulls me into a dance. He much be in his thirties at least.

We dance for a while. At first it was fun, but then I saw how drunk he really was. I look around, not really able to get out of his grip. I see Morgan standing to the side, looking around as he drinks. He catches my eye and smiles. I mouth over to him, "Save me!"
Last edited by TaylorLove on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Winnie the Pooh

Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:26 pm
RainyDay says...

*Taylor, Emily married Mitchell, not Michael xD there is no Michael haha*

Martin

Jade thought for a moment, then smiled and offered me her hand, "Hello, I'm Jade."

Smiling, I shook her hand and said, "Martin. I actually believe we've met before."

She looked like she was going to push me down a flight of stairs, so I clarified, "Weren't you at Richard's Christmas party? I believe you spilled champagne, then thinking I was one of the caterers you asked me to clean it up."

Richard began to laugh, and in response Jade and I did as well. I was curious, though, as to why she wouldn't just tell the truth.

"Martin, where's your brother Mitchell and his new wife? I was hoping to congratulate them." Richard questioned.

"I believe they're in the ballroom." I said with a warm smile.

When he went off to find them, I turned to Jade, "I thought you could have me 'fired me like that'" snapping my fingers the way she had, "for 'what I pulled.'"

When she made no response, I grinned and teased, "You like me, don't you."

After all, why else would her friend have asked me.

Morgan

"Marley," I say to my cousin, placing a hand on his shoulder, "Aunt Marissa is looking for you."

He looked down at me, confused, and loosened his grip on Meg, "My mom? Where is she?"

I shrugged, and he went off to find her.

"So," I say, "How about that dance?"

She smiles, and as we begin dancing she points out, "What's with your family and names that start with M?"

Laughing, I spin her and say, "That? But you haven't even met Uncle Michael and cousins Max, Marco, Mary, Matthew, Morris, Megan, or Melissa yet! Then there's my sister, Margaret. I guess we just like M names...I see your point."

Dean

I couldn't quite place my finger on why Calliope would be so resistant. I was nothing like Liam! I had tried to distract myself by taking pictures, but when I saw her dancing with some guy I couldn't resist.

"Shawn," I say to my buddy and fellow photographer, "I'm going to take a little break, okay? Can you hold it down for maybe ten minutes?"

He nodded - he never was one to talk much. I guess that's why he chooses to be behind cameras. Giving him my camera to hold on to, I go approach Calliope.

Clearing my throat, I asked, "May I cut in?"

Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:15 pm
TaylorLove says...

Meg

"Do you know how many times I got confused because I was hearing my name every where?" I ask. "I am glad I am not hearing things." I laugh.

"No, there is another Megan." He says. We twirl around the dance floor and I smile happily.

"Good, I am not crazy." I say. The more we dance, the more I laugh. Morgan keeps cracking joke and I can hardly breathe.

"Catch your breath princess." He laughs.

"I am trying, but you keep making me laugh. If I die, because I can't breathe, it is all on you." I say, poking his chest, playfully.

"I won't let that happen." He says.

"That is always a good thing to hear." I laugh.

"So, tell me about yourself." He says.

"Well, I am a person trainer and I own a gym with my co worker, Austin. You already know that I am a princess. I was adopted when I was two weeks old. I love to eat food. They only thing I hate it ice cream. I will try anything though. I love to be outside. I love to hike, run, swim, all that good stuff. Oh and I cannot drink. I am not a huge fan of alcohol but I am just if I tried more I would. Oh and I love people." I say. Gosh, Meg. You should have said something cute like you love long walks on the beach or something normal! I smile and look up at him again. "Your turn."
-Winnie the Pooh

130 Reviews

Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:23 pm
*coco says...

Jade

"Like ... you?" I laughed but I stopped myself when I realised that it had come across as unconvincing and forced. "Don't flatter yourself." I said seriously, before leaning against the wall and slipping back into my heels. "That waiter actually has more appeal," I concluded, pointing at the back of the waiter that I'd hid behind.

I was hoping that comment would offend Martin enough for him to leave me alone, considering that the waiter in question had been short, spotty, spectacled and unattractive. Unfortunately, the insult was wasted on Martin, who seemed far too amused at the moment to pay any attention. It made me nervous.

"So why not just tell your uncle the truth?" he asked, folding his arms.

"Because ..." I began, biting my bottom lip as I struggled to come up with an appropriate response, "as hilarious as it would be to see you fired by my uncle - and believe me, it would be a sight to see - telling him what happened that night at the club just wouldn't be worth the embarrassment."

He grinned that stupid grin of his again. "I assume you're talking about the part where you were mistaken as a hooker and whisked away to the VIP lounge." He paused to relish the furious expression I now had on my face. "Yes, I can understand how telling your uncle that particular part of the story would be rather embarrassing for you ..."

I glowered at him, wondering why he was still here.

"Don't you have a wedding to get back to?" I snapped.

"The wedding will still be there when I get back," he answered airily, before uncrossing his arms and taking a step towards me. "You know, you still haven't thanked me yet for last night."

I actually scoffed at him. "You want me to thank you? For which part exactly, the part where you turned me into your fake wife and shoved someone else's ring down my finger, or where you practically held me hostage in your flat?"

"How 'bout for the part where I saved you from the big-bad VIP pimp daddy's?" offered Martin smugly.

I pursed my lips and folded my arms with a false air of confidence. "I would've been just fine if you hadn't shown up."

Martin looked me up and down and laughed. "Sure you would've."
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:43 pm
RainyDay says...

Morgan

"Well, let's see," I say, trying to think of enough to keep up with her. It was quite charming, actually. Most girls would go with something about loving walks on the beach or something cliche.

"Well, I own a restaurant, my best friend Leo is the chef, so like you I have a love for food. I was born in London, but we moved here when I was seventeen - the rest of our family flew over for the wedding, mind you they were upset that they're here for the Royal baby's birth. I have two brothers, as you know, and a sister. I'll try anything or do anything at least once, I've probably played every sport and been in every club you can imagine, and I go absolutely mad if I don't go back to London around Christmas, which by the way is my favorite holiday. Also, I celebrate Thanksgiving even though I'm not American because I love to cook and eat the holiday's food."

"Oh," I added with a teasing smile, "and I love long walks on the beach and long hot baths."

Martin

"Why can't you just leave me alone? Go play with your bridesmaid!" She spat, though it only made my grin larger.

"Who, the girl I walked down the aisle with? Margaret?" I asked, trying hold back a laugh but failing.

"I don't see what's so funny." She said, crossing her arms over her chest.

I was laughing so hard I thought I was going to fall on the floor and suffocate from lack of air.

"You're jealous! You're jealous of Margaret! You're jealous....of my SISTER!" I laughed.

I tried to contain my laughter, but each time I stopped I would look at her and start all over again. Finally, I just stared at the floor to settle myself.

"Are you done?" She asked, annoyed.

Looking up to her, I cracked a smile and said, "I knew you liked me. You never had to go along with what I was doing at the VIP section, you never had to stay at my flat. Hell, you could've called the police on me, though I probably would've just said you stole my ring. Then you didn't tell your uncle the truth. Face it, Jade. You like me."

"You're so persistant I'm beginning to think you like me!" She yelled, and then we both just stared at each other in shock.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:29 am
TaylorLove says...

Meg

I laugh and lay my head on his chest for a moment. Realizing what I did, I pull back up and try not to make a big deal about it. "I have always wanted to go to England. There is just something about it. It has always been a dream." I say.

"You should go one day." He says.

"Oh and as for thanksgiving, you are making me hungry. I really want turkey now." I say.

"So do I." He says, thinking about it. "They should be serving food any moment."

"That is really cool that you own a restaurant. I might have to stop by." I say, smiling.

"Yes, you will." He say. Everyone heads to the table, I am guessing for food. Morgan and I finish out the song and then go. "It was lovely dancing with you." He says.

"Yes, it really was." We head back to the table and I sit down. I take a sip of the drink in front of me, thinking it was water. It was definitely not water. I make a face and some how manage to swallow before coughing.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

"Yes, I just thought that was water." I say, holding my throat.

"Nope, that is alcohol." He laughs.

"It is horrible." I say. Before he can say anything, the food comes out and there is a little bit of everything. I smile and dig in, but still being polite. "Yum." I say.
-Winnie the Pooh

130 Reviews

Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:32 pm
*coco says...

Jade

For about a minute we just stood there staring at one another, Martin looking at me like I'd just grown two heads, and me glaring at him like he was a irritating fly that I couldn't swat. Finally, I decided that we'd stared at each other long enough, and after the fifth waiter passed us both with confused looks, I decided that if he wasn't going to leave, I would just have to instead.

"I need a drink ..." And with that, I turned on my heel and walked off, leaving Martin standing where he was.

Following the sounds of chatter and music, I found my way back to the ballroom to the table where Nelle and B were sat at.

"Hey, there you are," smiled Nellie as I sat down opposite them. "We were starting to think you'd never come out of the bathroom."

I scoffed and stole B's champagne flute from her hand before downing it in one go.

"Everything alright, Jay?" asked Nelle, looking slightly disturbed as I helped myself to another two glasses like it were water.

"Oh, everything's just ... peachy," I responded with a smack of my lips. When I realised the bottle on our table had finished, I turned and took one from the table behind us, ignoring the looks from the people sat there.

"You ran into your Uncle and Martin, didn't you?" concluded Nelle as she watched me down glass number four. When I gave her a reluctant nod, she asked, "I thought you were hiding in the bathrooms?"

I was just about to respond when I realised that two of the girls were missing. "Where's Meg and Callie?"

"Callie is dancing with Dean," B pointed.

That made me smile. "At least someone's enjoying themselves. What about Meg?"

"Well, our dear Meg seems to be cosying up with Morgan," smirked Nelle.

I paused my drinking binge to stare at Nelle like she was insane. "Morgan? As in Martin's twin brother, Morgan?"

"Uh huh," she chuckled. "Isn't that adorable? Think about it, if she hooks up with Morgan and you hook up with Martin - you'll both be dating twins!"

The last part of her sentence was drowned out by the sound of me spluttering into my drink.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:20 pm
TaylorLove says...

Meg

After about an hour of talking to Morgan, I look over and see Jade drunk. Nellie was trying to trying get her to drink water and B was trying to stop her from drinking alcohol. "I think I am going to have to go." I say, still looking at Jade.

Morgan follows my gaze and laughs. "That might be a good idea." He says.

"Before I do," I begin. I take a pen from my purse and write my number on a napkin. "Call me some time." I say. I smile before getting up and leaving.

I walk over to the girls and smile. "Time to go." I say to them.

They laugh and grab both of Jade's hands and pull her up. "Wait, what about Callie?" B asks.

I begin to walk over there when Nellie grabs my hands. "No, leave her. Dean can take her." She laughed.

We all walk to my car and start it up. We drive back to our flat and get out. We lay Jade down in her bed and turn all the lights off. I go into my room and change into my neon yellow shorts, matching shoes and a neon pink sports bra. I put my matching pink tank top on. "Guys, I am going to work." I yell.
Last edited by TaylorLove on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Winnie the Pooh

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:54 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Sorry for being MIA!

Calliope

"So I'm not trying to start anything, but I think your friends just left you." Dean said, his eyes on the door.

Sure enough, their things were gone and they were nowhere to be seen. I couldn't help but laugh.

"What's so funny?" Dean asked.

Shaking my head, I grabbed his arm and explained, "Nothing. They're just my best friends. Come on, I'll take some pictures with you."

"So you promise you'll actually call me this time?" Dean teased, leaning against his car.

I felt my cheeks flush, and I promised, "I will."

"Good," he said, squeezing my hand, "Then I'll talk to you later. Bye Callie."

Dean let go of my hand and got back in the car, and I stood in that spot until his car was gone. Once I could no longer see it I headed inside.

"Hi Tim." I greeted, walking to the elevator.

When I reached our apartment and closed the door behind me, I teasingly yelled, "You guys are so dead for ditching me!"
Live, Love, Laugh

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:37 pm
RainyDay says...

A post per request of Liv!

The following Monday -- Scott Gardner - Gardner Father -- Home

Scott stumbled out of his room, a half empty bottle of vodka swinging in his hand as he swayed towards the stairs. It was ten in the morning and, as usual, he was drunk.

"Scott," his girlfriend called timidly, "Your breakfast is ready!"

He blinked, his head pounding, and shouted, "Shut up, Nellie!"

He had gotten Nicole's name wrong again, but she learned long ago not to correct him.

At the top of the stairs, he grabbed a picture off the wall, a picture of what used to be his family before they all left the sick bastard. Not a single one of them wore a smile. His ex-wife Lisa stood the furthest from Scott, her permanet scowl and sad eyes looking at him, practically foreshadowing that she would leave soon. Laurel and Christine, the twins, stood holding each other's hand, looking grimly at the camera. Then there was Nellie, her father's heavy hands gripping her shoulders and causing a slight frown at the corners of her mouth. Now Scott....he wasn't even looking at the camera, instead looking at his family. He had the vaguest memory of shouting at them all to smile, but by the time the photographer snapped the picture his family was morbid and he stared at them all, his mouth in a tight line. He couldn't even remember why he'd hung this picture up, or why it still hung there. They had all left him, even Nellie. Left him to die. Like mother like daughters.

"Scott!" Nicole called again, shaking him from his trance.

He whipped around to yell at her again, forgetting he was still at the top of the stairs. He lost his footing, and so began the fatal fall.

Martin -- The office

"Martin, can you come to my office for a minute?" Richard asked, coming up to me as I drank my black coffee. I was still off from the scotch I had at Mitchell's wedding - I hadn't had a drink in years.

"Yeah, of course." I say, snapping a lid on to my to-go coffee cup.

I followed Richard in to his office, and there sat Jade.

"Have a seat, Martin." Richard said, sitting behind his desk.

I took the seat beside Jade, the only seat available, and glanced over at her briefly. Had she told him something?

"Now," Richard said, "As you know Martin, my assistant Marla is coming back from maternity leave today. Consequently, I need a place for Jade. Seeing that you were promoted last month and your assistant quit because she got married, am I right in assuming you need an assistant?"

I leaned forward in my chair and answered, "Yes, I've been looking, I actually have some interviews-"

"Perfect!" He exclaimed, cutting me off, "See, that's why I wanted to introduce you to Jade this weekend. Cancel your interviews and tell them the position has been filled. Jade can be your assistant starting today."

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:37 pm
TaylorLove says...

Meg

I walk into the gym and see Austin walking out of his office, carrying boxes. "We got Nike shipments!" I scream.

"They came this morning. Why couldn't you come this morning again?" Austin asks me.

I laugh and sit down on one of the mats, opening the boxes. "Well, my friend got this ring stuck on her after this guy tried to save her from this guy. The guy really had to get it back because his brothers wedding was tomorrow. Then, we all went to the wedding to help her feel less out of place. After that, the bride's make-up artist did a bad job so my friends and I had to help her out. She looked so pretty, but when she found out her bridesmaid was not coming she got really freaked out. Then she asked me to be the bridesmaid. It was really fun." I tell him.

"That is crazy." He says, laying down more boxes.

"I know, but everything worked out." I open the box with the shoes and freak out. "I want these." I say.

"Well, we get the free stuff. Nike sponsors us, remember?" He asks.

"How could I forget?" I lay everything I want over to the side. Because it was going to turn cold soon, there was a lot of track pants and jackets. After that, I stock the entrance where we sell all the clothes. Then, I go to my office and work on the computer and see my appointments for the week. I only have to work form twelve to five the rest of the week.

My phone rings and I pick it up. "Hey, B." I say.

"Hey, do you want to meet me for food? We ran out at the house." She asks. I can hear her opening and closing the cabinets.

"Yes, pick me up. I just got done with everything." I tell her.

"Okay, I am taking your car. Where are your keys?" She asks.

"On my bedside table." We both hang up. I quickly turn off the computer and all the lights. I gather up all the things I am going to take home. Pulling my hair up, I walk out the door just as she arrives.

--

"What about this place?" B asks pointing.

"I will eat anything." I say, as she parks. We walk in as sit down and scan over the menu. This place has everything I like, so picking one this will no be easy.

"Meg." B calls.

"Hm?" I ask, not looking up from the menu.

"Look up." She says.

I do as she says and find Morgan standing there. "Well, hello." I say.

"I guess you both were lucky enough to stumble into my restaurant." He say, I can tell he is joking though.

"I guess we are lucky." I say, smiling.
-Winnie the Pooh

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:46 am
Liv says...

Nellie

"Hello?" I answered, holding my phone to my ear.

"H-hello. Is this Nellie?" A woman asked.

"Yes....who is this?" I asked, opening the door to our apartment building.

"My name is Nicole Dennis....I was your father's girlfriend."

I pushed the button to call the elevator, feeling my mood darken, "Ms. Dennis, I don't know who you are or why you're calling me, but I haven't talked to that man since I was sixteen. I'm sorry, but-"

"Nellie, your father died this morning." She said quickly.

The elevator doors closed when I got in, and I felt like a bus hit me. Sliding down the wall, I made no response.

"He had a bit too much to drink and....fell down the stairs, snapped his neck, and....died." she said when I made no response.

"Laurel, answer the damn phone!" I yelled to her answering machine for the third time, "Scott is dead!"

I dialed Christine's number again, and when I got her answering machine again I couldn't take it anymore. Screaming, I threw my phone at the wall and went to my bedroom, slamming the door behind me. Pulling off my blouse, I stood with my back to my mirror, twisting my neck to look at the scars on my back. As I looked, I felt my lip quiver and tears burn my eyes.

"Nellie?" I heard Calliope call, opening my door. She seemed shocked to see me shirtless, nearly crying.

Looking up at her, I whispered, now beginning to really cry, "He's dead. Scott is dead."

You have light and peace inside you. If you let it out, you can change the world around you.
— Uncle Iroh, Avatar the Last Airbender