Young Writers Society

Confusion {Open ~ Started}

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:55 pm
View Likes
StoneHeart says...

WELCOME TO MAGICAL EARTH!

You, are from Magical Earth - our earth's magical equivalent, developed along magical lines instead of technological . . .

The only thing you've ever known is war – your people have been fighting a scourge of magically enhanced humans for over 200 years, not strong enough to win, but not weak enough to be defeated. . . .

You are your worlds only hope – if you don't somehow stop the incoming Dern invasion then the end of humanity may well be drawing near. . . .

Plot:
Your job is simple: Destroy the fleets keeping Kyrome from her allies, unite the two kingdoms, and somehow stop the coming invasion.

With a bit of luck and a lot of magic . . . you might just make it.

The past 200 years have been a drawn out battle with the magical lands of Kyrome and Senetra fighting desperately to keep the the Dernlander's at bay.

However, change is in the air: The Derns are massing an attack that they plan to launch on Senetra. An attack, that, if it gets past the War Zones, will lead to the end of humanity. . . .

How can Kyrome and Senetra fight off an invasion while hopelessly separated? If the two kingdoms cannot unite, and if their greatest warriors cannot find mutual purpose, then nothing will be able to stop the Derns.

Unite the kingdoms, stop the invasion, and bring an end to the Dern's terror!

History:
Spoiler! :
History goes back a long way for Magical Earth, so I’ll simply start with what matters. Up to about 200 years ago Magical Earth was one gigantic super-power, ruled by a wise Senate of magically enhanced humans (Successfully improved humans – opposite of Derns). Those where the Golden Ages of Magical Earth.

However one day the government put into action a plan to administer a certain spell to all humanity: A spell that would improve a man until he was a dozen times better than any other human, in every physical.

However, 12 corrupt members of the Senate secretly added their own spell to the concoction and made it so all these human mutants would lose their memories (and old allegiances) and become utterly loyal to them. . . . Once the true effects of the spell became known, everything went into chaos. War broke out between the mutants (called Derns) and everyone else.

One group of the Kyromese where all for killing off everyone with this plague, the other group was more hesitant about it, wanting more time to see if the spells effects might wear off. The final group was the quickly growing army of Derns, led by a super-powerful Dern general.

In the end the first two groups were forced to unite, but even together they were barely able to drive the Derns into the ‘dead lands’ where no humans lived, and only did so at great, great loss of life. When they'd finally won, the faction that had been for stopping the problem before it became too big, broke away from the rest, and left them to start New Kyrome. The rest moved to start Senetra.

To insure the future safety of humanity, the two kingdom's entered upon an alliance. Together they secretly took their six finest warriors and gave them the spell that had created the Derns. But this spell was different, improved, it made these new mutants, Inarvi, to the Derns, what the Derns were to humans. As the final line of their truce, the two allies destroyed the knowledge of the spell, thus ensuring that no Dern or Inarvi would ever again be created with magic.

Only shortly afterward the Derns returned, this time with their own kingdom secured, and renewed their attack upon the peaceful Kyromese and Senetrans. Ever since that break, everything has been a constant state of drawn out war between the three lands. But the tide is turning, and with the allies separated, the Derns are planning to crush Senetra once and for all. . . .

Kingdoms:
Spoiler! :
First, I must tell you that Magical Earth is the exact same as our Earth geography-wise, for Magical Earth is but a copy of our world, translated to another dimension in which magic exists. The life on Magical Earth is very different from that of our world, but the land is the same.

Magical Earth is divided into four principal areas.

Kyrome, covering Europe, Northern Africa, and Northern Asia, this land is the producer of all the wood and metal byproducts that humanity has. On the Dern border, to the far east, all is chaos and war, with a vast majority of the people there being warriors. However the western side of the country is well populated, and quite prosperous.

The Wastelands, covering everything outside of the three main countries, is the most dangerous part of Magical Earth, mainly populated by various dangerous magical creatures, and a few humans. In remembrance that this area was once part of ancient Kyrome, there are still ruins of ancient cities that lie in this area.

Senetra, covering everything on the North American continent east of the Rockies, this is the most powerful of the four lands. As in Kyrome, their border with Dernland is a War-zone, filled with soldiers and forts, and the coast is where the majority of people live. The central area of this land is the source of most all of humanity's food, and the coast produces all magical tools.

Dernland, land of the Derns, covers everything on the North American continent west of the Rockies, and eastern and southern Asia. This country produces nothing, seeing as the vast majority of the people are Derns who are nothing but warriors, and the few humans that live here are criminals and traitors. The country is one vast melting pot of death, crime, darkness, and armies.

Races:

Spoiler! :
Humans

Terrible pink skinned primates, these are the main creatures that live on Magical Earth, consisting of about 45% of intelligent life. Only 1 in about 10,000 is a magician. If you are not a magician you stand pretty much ZERO chance in a fight against a Dern (Normal humans have killed Derns before – doing something like that basically makes you a legend).

Derns

Magically enhanced and improved creatures, once human, they consist of about 30% of all intelligent life. With 12 times the speed, strength, sense power, and life expectancy of a human they are naturally superior. However: Only one of them is known to be a magician (Their Lord General) – they usually can be beaten with magic. Do not think of them as 'mutants', their power comes from magical energy itself and they do not have deformities or monstrous muscles or anything like that! Their improvement is really in that what gets a normal human 1 inch gets then a foot.

They all USED to have lives as humans before they were changed. Now, though they can still think and choose on their own, they're bonded to the 12 magicians who created them: Forced to do their will. These 12 are corrupt and evil, but very powerful. Be sure to note that though they may be controlled they do have personalities. Their control really amounts to them being forced to do things without question -but it really isn't force, because they have no say in the matter, and no wish for a say.

Magicians

This section of people consist of all humans who have the ability to control matter. Mind you that the control of matter has no bounds. You can do literally anything if you can control matter to the proper extent. As mentioned, only one in about 10,000 humans turn out to be magicians, thus they are very rare. Without magicians humanity is helpless to the Derns. Because of this pretty much all magicians are warriors. (Mind you that they can use their powers for things OTHER than killing)

Inarvi

Inarvi are essentially a group of 6 Kromese and Senetrans who had an improved Dern spell administered to them so that they could protect their countries. They are to Derns what Derns are to humans: However they are extremely well controlled and there is not threat from them to humanity.

They once had lives, but were taken by their respective governments and changed without even knowing it. Because of this, should they ever break from the spell, they would be EXTREMELY dangerous.

Magical Creatures

A magical creature is any living being created by magic. They range from tiny sentient orbs of light that shine over the sea before a storm to massive storm-beasts beasts the size of hills that live high up in the mountains. They can literally be ANYTHING.

Character Ideas:
Spoiler! :
Note here and now: These are only suggestions and ideas! Feel free to be as inventive as you want to be with who and what your characters are! But remember: We want a group of powerful people here (Who, some way or other, are going to have to get together and save their respective countries), not a bunch of babies! Remember that!

Possibility: A Dern (Be careful here. You must remember the Derns powers and be sure to use them correctly! And finding a happy ending for these guys won't be easy – But they'd be great characters because they're likely to know plenty of the people they're fighting and the conflict will be nice.)

Possibility: A normal human from Magical Earth. (Be warned again: These people will be virtually helpless at the hands of any Dern. You'll have to make them passive – Either that or very lucky).

Possibility: A magician/ warrior from Magical Earth. (This group would consist of A: Magicians who can use their powers to fight the Derns or B: Humans who have spells put on them that make it so they can fight as well. Be warned again: You must be realistic – No god modding: Emphasized! Mind you that these Warrior's spells' effects would come across more as super-powers.)

Possibility: An Inarvi. (These guys would be hard to view realistically but I'm sure you could do it! - They'd make good characters because they're all basically totally controlled . . . have one break away and there'd be some great conflict! Physical and otherwise. It'd be like waking up from a two hundred year dream -No, nightmare)

Possibility: A magical creature. (It can be literally ANYTHING. But remember: Stay realistic and no god modding – They'd be good characters because of the complete difference!)

Now for a few notes.

The Inarvi have no ranks, they all are equal in their slavery! Each of them is controlled by a specially trained magician who stays with them at all times. Normal humans have little rank in the army, above slaves/workers, though in the government they can obtain a lot of power. The magicians and magically enhanced humans (Warriors) are the ones who have all the rank in the armies. They're the guards, the generals, the line soldiers, the kings . . . everything you can think of. They're rather rarely found as normal folk – farmers, workers, slaves. . . .

Derns have pretty much every rank as well, though about 90% of them are warriors of some type. They are commanded by the 12 magicians (political leaders who stay at the top of their Keep back in Japan) and their Lord General (the physical leader who's always out there on the front lines). Mind you that the Kyromese have a court and a Queen and a King . . . and that the Senetrans have more of a democracy, with a Congress, president and all that!

Notice:
THESE IDEAS ARE NOT BOUNDS! Use your imagination! The 'what your character can be' bound in this SB is very broad. And seeing as I'll have to approve your profiles we can fix problems before they're posted! :D

Characters.
Spoiler! :
1 -Aradian Stormlight (@Jonathan)
2 -Nya Ocia (@Jonathan)
3 -Ether Darkide (@BlackNether12)
4 -Wreath (@BlackNether12)
5 -Seirapheen (@umaima)
6 -Solaris Armandi (@kayfortnight)
7 -Delia Farren (@kayfortnight)
8 -Siren (@Carina)
9 -RESERVED (@VeerenVKS)
10 -Skarthus Moevre (@Aquestioning)
11 -Erillias Vanguard (@Aquestioning)
12 -Kerouac (peripheral character) (@DiskElemental)
13 -Ennius Forthgoer (@jon7670)
14 -Fa Draca (@Camulaeus)
15 -Ashalyn Mayeia (@KatKage)
16 -RESERVED (@KatKage)
17 -RESERVED (@KatKage)
18 -Harper Beau (@maleficent)
19 -Lyloh Brande (@maleficent)
20 -Sigma Bolt (@barefootrunner)

Characters Profile:

Fill it out! (And remove the parenthesis or I’ll feed you to Jordin)
Spoiler! :
Code: Select all
 [b]Name:[/b]  (First and last please)

[b]Age:[/b] (15 to 300 (the old age is for magicians, Inarvi, and Derns only) preferably)

[b]Gender:[/b]

[b]Allegiance:[/b] (Senetra, Dernland, Kyrome, None. . . .)

[b]Rank:[/b] (Warrior, magician, guard, Dern, Inarvi . . .(etc.))

[b]Race:[/b] (Dern, human, Inarvi, Other – (feel free to offer up ideas . . . logical ones))

[b]Skills/powers:[/b] (Be inventive, but do not make a god! And remember what I said earlier about Warriors!)

[b]Appearance:[/b] (Picture and description preferred, but do what works!)

[b]Personality:[/b] (Again be inventive and descriptive, but keep him real!)

[b]Weaknesses:[/b] (Be inventive, but do not make a softie (Otherwise he’ll get cornered and I won’t be able to help you squirm him out . . .))

[b]History:[/b] (Yes: You must be inventive. Remember to make him something special, and remember to make sure there's a REASON that he's special)

[b]Weapons:[/b] (Sword, Magic, Knife, pizza cutter. . . . (You CAN invent something ;)) )

[b]Up for love?:[/b] (Yes, No: Orientation!)

[b]Other:[/b] (Anything you missed?)

Want to join?
Spoiler! :
First Step: Read EVERYTHING on this thread and announce your intent to join on the DT!

Second Step: Fill out your profile!

Third Step: Post your profile in the appropriate area! If there's anything wrong with it I'll PM it to you.

Rules.

All normal SB rules apply.

Cussing is allowed, but don't go overboard.

No god modding! (Okay, so I'll tell you the truth here. I don't know what god modding really means, but I need a word to signify: No acting bossy in the DT and SB threads, and no giving your characters edges that make them invincible!)

Keep your posts OUT of spoilers (And less than 5,000 words apiece, please)

Try to post fairly regularly. If you can't post for a while I'll respect that, but do your best!

Do not contradict the information given here please!

The Discussion Thread

Be sure to frequent THE DISCUSSION THREAD and keep us all updated on your plans! NOTE: I'll be keeping the SB updated through here!
Last edited by StoneHeart on Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 10 times in total.
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:27 pm
View Likes
maleficent says...

This sounds amazing, I'd love to be a part of it!
Could I reserve a Magician please? :]
"Beware the darkness in your heart. The Heartless prey upon it."

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:15 pm
View Likes
umaima says...

Amazing Black, Can I join?
“The strong person is not the one who can wrestle someone else down. The strong person is the one who can control himself when he is angry.”

“It is better to sit alone than in company with the bad; and it is better still to sit with the good than alone.”

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:20 am
View Likes
LadyPurple says...

I might do this.
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

303 Reviews

Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:41 pm
View Likes
StoneHeart says...

|Ether Darkide|

The figure seemed so restless. Anyone looking down at the dark haired young man, lying on the filthy cot, a thick black chain holding him to the wall, would have know that something was wrong. Very wrong.

“Stop,” he cried, tossing about, his arms thrashing back and forth with such power and speed they made the walls shake,” make me stop!”

Nightmares haunted him. Nightmares such as none but he knew.

Darkness held true fear for him.

A scream of agony echoed through the dungeon . . . the voice of the mind in agony. His mind revived in unconsciousness what it couldn't even see in consciousness . . . to such detail it tore the fibres of his very being apart.

“Who are you?” the massively built Warrior demanded, stepping in front of the entrance flap to the towering red pavilion.

Kavir wasn't even fazed by the bulking guard, though he himself hardly came up to the mans shoulder,” Kavir Kuruta,” he said evenly.

The guard smirked,” get out of here, scum. General Tyres does not have time for random vagabonds!” He raised his poleaxe threateningly.

The responding smirk on Kavir's face should have warned the man to back off, but it didn't. Slowly the magician raised a gloved hand,” Ether!” he said calmly.

A well-built, brown-haired man stepped up beside the magician and smiled, dead eyed, at the soldier, his long black hair blowing about his face in the strong, westerly breeze.

The man's gaze dropped almost unconsciously to Ether's belt, caught sight of the distinctive crested sword hilts and he paled,” Darkblade,” he whispered, stepping aside and reverently bending a knee,” overlook my ignorance, lord.”

Kavir kicked the man in the side of the chest, sending him sprawling in the mud,” I'm lord here you filth,” he practically screamed. Suddenly he turned to Ether.” Kill him!” he hissed.

The man tried to scramble to his feet and step away, but he was too slow. The watching soldiers and servants hardly saw Ethers fist move as he punched the guard, sending him flying thirty feet to crash into the side of a tent and fall to the ground, deathly still. One.

Kavir grinned at the unmoving body contentedly, and then, motioning for Ether to follow, he tore the flap of the tent in front of him to the side, and entered the command pavilion of General Tyres Iversun.

Ether glanced back out over the tent covered mountainside, misted over in a soft rain, and then followed Kavir.

As the two entered the command tent, a dozen men surrounding a massive hardwood table, scattered with maps, bits of wood and stones, and long steel rods, stood and turned to face them. One, a massively built, richly clothed man, stepped forward from the others, frowning.

He caught sight of Ether's crested swords as Kavir stepped forward, closely followed by his charge, and he nodded slightly to him.” The Darkblade,” he said deeply, turning to Kavir,” this is . . . unexpected. What might you, er, be doing here?”

Kavir swept past the general to the map table, ignoring his question.” What is this?” he demanded, looking down at the maps spread out before him.

“A battle plan.” said one of the men dryly; a thin, hawkish officer.

Tyres stepped forward between Kavir and the table,” unfortunately my map-man is having some rest right now, after a long hard day.” he said calmly.” We're drawing up a plan to take out a nearby force of Derns who burnt down Edgetown six hours ago. We were-”

Kavir shoved the general to the side rudely and stepped up to the table,” summon your map-man immediately!” he ordered.

Tyres stiffened, his voice going cold,” Kavir Kuruta, I will have you remember that you are not in your own war-camp, or in any war-camp where you have official powers of any kind. You will not give orders to me, or my men.”

Kavir looked ready to burst, but he said nothing. It was the truth,” as you wish . . .” he hissed resentfully.

“Now,” Tyres continued, lowering his tone,” as I asked you previously: Why are you here? Last I heard you were taking down a Dern penetration that got almost as far as The Plains. Why aren't you at General Aviers war-camp, planning out a way to stop them?”

Kavir shook his head uncaringly, his oiled black hair shining in the light of the torches hanging from the tent roof,” Aviers has everything under control.”

Tyres narrowed his hard brown eyes but did not comment.

Kavir smiled, his black eyes not moving a bit,” why are you making all these plans? Ether here could take down a thousand Derns single-handed!”

One of the watching officers spat into the hay that covered the floor of the pavilion,” like that's why you're here! And the Darkblade couldn't take down three Derns if they were tied up for him!” His accent was foreign, probably western Kyromese.

Kavir's face reddened and he stepped toward the man threateningly, but Tyres interceded,” peace men!” He said,” Peace! We're at war, if you must fight, then fight an enemy!” he turned to his officer,” Vestoon, if you don't cut that temper of yours off at the roots, then by god I'll have you strung up by your ankles in front of the whole army!” The man nodded, and stepped into the shadows, muttering excuses under his breath. Tyres spun his powerful body back to Kavir,” and you! Keep your peace in
my war-camp!”

The two men glared at each other for a few moments before Kavir finally let his gaze drop.” Now,” Tyres said, his bony face looking haggard in the dim light,” why
are you here, Kavir?”

Kavir sighed, glancing at the completely unmoving and impassive Ether. He looked down at his boots as he spoke, his words were hardly heard over the sound of the soft rain.” The War-council has voted for all the border armies to fall back to the primary defence line.”

Tyres looked shocked,” what?” he sputtered,” Fall fifty miles back from the border? What about the people? What about the castles, and the cities?”

Kavir looked back up, slightly more confident now that Tyres was on edge,” it's the will of the Council.” he said, trying to sound disdainful,” You'll do as they say or face the consequences!”

Tyres suddenly froze from the frenzied pacing he had begun and glared at the short magician,” why are they ordering this?” he demanded.

Kavir shrugged,” the rumours
are true. We have an invasion coming.”

Tyres sunk into a chair, looking distraught, his men looked shocked.” Good god,” he whispered,” How serious of an invasion?”

Kavir shrugged again,” the council didn't say. But it must be pretty bad for them to do this.”

Tyres shook himself and stood bravely,” well, you can tell the council that
we are staying and making sure that the people make it out. We have enough men for a good perimeter, we'll be a perfect corner for surveillance AND defence.”

Kavir grinned gruesomely,” it's the will of the council Tyres, I wouldn't go against it if I were you.”

Tyres stepped forward till he was inches away from the grimy magician,” look here,” he said, his temper on edge,” I know how things work. I know that the war-council has the people as it's VERY first concern, and I know that every person in it would insist on making sure EVERYONE makes it out. I know politics. I'd be willing to bet my life, as I am, that that damned congress of coward politicians stepped in and wanted the armies to pull back, so that there would be a denser line, so that they wouldn't have to risk being hit by a Dern puncture attack.” he let his words sink in,” I'm staying here you slimeball, until the army's FIRST responsibility is carried out.”

He glanced back up at his officers, watching silently,” and I don't think that anybody in the army will protest, seeing as the people out there are mostly their families!”

Kavir looked triumphant, but slightly startled by Tyre's flash of temper,” you know what this means?”

Tyres nodded and stood straight, proudly.

The other man shook his head in mock surprise, his confidence growing,” this means, you fool, that you are now traitor to the government! It means that I have full authority to kill EVERYONE in this war-camp.” He smiled like a little boy just given a new toy. Ether stood straighter, ominous, his face impassive.

Tyres shrugged,” just try it.”

Kavir frowned, his confidence suddenly pulled out from under him by the lack of fear that the General showed.” What?”

Tyres shrugged uncaringly,” try to kill everyone here!” he stepped close and smiled disgustedly,” you see, old friend, you're still the same. You still make the same mistakes. You do understand that the very first person to be killed when this fight starts, no matter how fast the Darkblade may be, will be you.”

Kavir paled and stepped back, as though expecting to be attacked. Slowly he turned toward the tent's entrance,” come Ether,” he gulped.

Tyres smiled widely and stepped to the side allowing them to pass,” never change, Kavir.” he said,” You know what they say! Once a coward, always a coward. Once controlled, always controlled. You're just as controlled as Ether here!”

Kavir froze, half-way out of the tent. His face distorted with fury he glanced up at Ether,” kill . . . until I tell you to stop!”

Two.

Three.

Four.

Five.

Six . . .

Three thousand miles away Ether awoke in a cold sweat.

Spoiler! :
Remember! Our characters are all around the world, we'll be converging out in southern English Channel to face the Dern fleet . . . but we have to lead up to that. LET THE POSTING BEGIN!

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:02 pm
View Likes
Jonathan says...

I stood out on the end of the docs with the cool morning sea breeze came across the heavily rocking waters, then a thought popped into my head and I concentrated and the waves began to grow smaller and smaller but the breeze also began to fade, so I let the waves go back to their aimless lapping at the giant ships sides that were tied to the wharf nearby.

Then after a few more minutes of listening to the sea gulls I turned and walked back through the streets I got only a few steely looks but I did not care, I was troubled though about this war arising from that same resentment the time when one side decided to see what would happen with the Derns and the other half wanting to kill them before they became a threat but if they had not split like they had they could have beaten all the Derns when the problem had erupted.

When I got to the palace gates I was asked my business from a man inside and I replied “I am a personal assistant to the king and I live here.” The small door near the bottom swung open so I came inside and walked toward the kings quarters as I walked I saw a bunch of young magician practicing of to the side I gave them no head but I thought that later I might teach them a thing or two.

I came to the kings quarters he was out on a balcony over shaded by a bark purple silk certain that flapped a little in the wind, when he saw me he motioned me up with a sickly smile that made me fear the worst, when I came to his side he looked up and then looked back to one of the senate members that was shimmering in light he inclined his head to me and I recognized Sedenemon my only friendly council member I bowed in return and sat on a chair next to the king who was now talking about the when the ships should leave the harbor but Sedenemon just said if they left now they could get to a place where it would be very hard for the Dern fleet to attack and destroy them, but the king declined this because he said that there were only about 300 sailors in the sea port at the time and we would need twice or thrice that many, Sedenemon inclined his head and said “do what you wish with your troops I agree that it would be well-nigh impossible to do now but if we wait too long we will be destroyed.”

The king sat back in his chair and the image of light faded away, I sat still waiting for him to move but this took about ten minutes, I felt sorry for him this war wade heavily on his shoulders and so did the paper work I knew because I had to do about half of it, when he did get up he walked back to his study room where he had to do all of his work with sorting out the army’s and such.

I admired him that he could stand it and not being able to get away from it for a week or even a day, instead of following him I walked back to my quarters and sat down on my bead, I took a bowl of water and a candle from my table where I always kept them then I concentrated and tried to use my mind to make the fire grow larger into a two foot flame then I picked up the water with my mind keeping the fire going at the same time and dowsed it but as before on many occasions it just frizzled a little and kept on going sending a cloud of steam out the window then I used my power to protect myself with a shield and made the fire go at me (You may think this foolish but to have yourself in a life and death situation always helps with your concentration at least with mine.) it simply Split and went around me not harming me, but it made me very drowsy (the only thing that could revive me was a nap.) so I laid down and went to sleep.

I awoke with a start as the giant bell in the temple nearby went off probably waking everyone in the town with its very loud melodious ringing sound, I got up stretched and walked out of my quarters to the morning quart when I got there the king was sitting on a throne about ten feet up on a pedestal with the queen on his right I walked up to them and bowed and sat down next to the king on his left, I was focusing on the throne’s that were shaped to for a half circle around us then I saw each one shimmer with a form.

The preceding council was much like the talk that the king had had with Sedenemon the previous day. But the king was Sendenemon and his generals where the king and Aradian. They stayed in deep conversation for about an hour or two but in the end the king got his way although the crew of the ships where needed I told them to get there magicians together and to send a signal to every person in Kyrome’s mined, this would take a very large amount of power but it needed to be taken care of after we had done with the war council we walked back to the kings quarters and we worked for about 4 hours on random paper work and we even heard of a blue magical being that had sunk an entire ship.

Later in the afternoon all of the magicians got a message in our minds to go and start the spell to tell all the kings forces to gather to attack the Derns, we gathered in a huge room and sent the message when we were done we heard that a servant nearby who had a very weak mind had killed over by the very strong signal that went all over the country lands I wondered if my family could hear it, I had wan
ted to go to them but I had no idea where they were or what they would do.

I went to bed that night thinking about the coming war and all these troubles that would be coming with it.

There seems to be nothing written here. :shock:

241 Reviews

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:09 pm
View Likes
Jonathan says...

|Nyan Ocia|

I paced back and forth blowing things up every now and then I was feeling like there was nothing the I cared for that was not destroyed, I laid down for a second but the ground was to cold even for my six inch fur that covered every inch of me and the huge spikes on my elbows which had grown about a foot in the past month were making it rather hard to lay down and feel good.

I got back up and teleported to the mountain where I had been born still wondering if my father was living there I teleported into the mine shaft where we had lived but when I got far in I saw two large creators where pacing about they were cat like and when they saw me they both ran at me I teleported behind the larger one smashed him into the wall with one of my paw then as he went flying I shot him with a lightning bolt then I teleported next to the other one and ripped its jugular out, after my short fight I liked a small scratch that had appeared on my leg probably from the feline that had not been killed so fast.

I spent I night there then I got up walked to the edge of my home and jumped off but as I was falling I teleported to the bottom then I went for the desert at full speed making each leap about 100 feet and making a leap about every two seconds when I had crossed the desert I incinerated a 20 foot bolder and walked on.

I was tired and my legs where shaking which had never happened to me before I walked around in a deep reveal and finally found a cave.

It was not exactly a cozy cave when I got to it, I laid there for about ten minutes then teleported some firewood into the cave and light it, I had feeling that it would get cold in this cave so I let my heat out so as to keep the cave warm.

I awoke with the water up to my legs it had just been a little trickle before but now it was a river. I jumped up and teleported out but I found that I had accidentally landed in an army of Derns who were now looking at me like do you mined we were marching.

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:03 am
View Likes
kayfortnight says...

Solaris Armadi

I must be the biggest idiot in all the world. I look around the Senetran host surrounding me and sigh. Why did I come? My friends are much more powerful than any human; there's no way they'll need my help when going to war. Then I think back to the message. That's why.

As I tucked Celestia into bed, the doorbell rang. I slipped away and opened the door to see one of my few Dernish friends at the door. Delia's hair hung limp from the pouring rain and she wore an expression of such tangible fear that I knew what had happened without her saying a word. But I asked anyway. "Are you leaving for the war?"

She simply nods, and I invite her inside. She shakes her head. "Just rumors right now. But we both know that once it's official, my mind won't be free to tell you. The word is we'll march any day now." She catches the look on my face and says, "Oh, no you don't. You have Cel to care for and we won't need your help. Besides, once we go to war the mages will probably mark every human as a foe. You won't be an exception anymore, and Cel's never been."

"Isn't anybody staying behind to take care of the Dernish children? Cel might be able to stay with them. Besides, she can care for herself."

Delia snorted. "The girl's ten, Sol. Every Dern who's old enough to march is going to. As for the infants, I wouldn't be surprised if the mages just ordered us to abandon them." Her voice dripped with anger.

"There must be something I can do to help. Sometimes I think it would have been better for Cel and I if we had been born Dernish."

"Trust me, you want none of this."

"I could be a spy."

"What?"

"Take me to the mage. Cel can come too. Every army has a supply train, right? She can cook a meal as well as any girl her age. Look, Derns can try to blend in with humans, but it never works, they're just far too strong. Cel and I are human, and nobody would recognize us because I left over fifteen years ago, and Cel was a baby when you brought her here. Maybe their army is composed entirely of mages. If so, then I can pose as a servant as well, perhaps someone who tends the horses."

Delia was doubtful but eventually agreed it was our best option, better than being left in a barren land, anyway. And so Cel and I were taken to her master, Skarthus Meovere, sometimes known to the Derns when he couldn't hear them as the Demented One. He agreed to my plan.

And now here I am. In Senetra, the country I rejected, posing as a humble scribe. It's surprising how little they look backgrounds; they didn't even check my name. Sometimes I wonder if they just don't care if their plans are leaked, if they know they're doomed anyway. Then I remember the Inarvi. Those things are scary. I've seen the one they call Ether twice, once in the dining hall chatting casually with everyone around, including Cel, to my amusement. I have to pretend I don't know her in public, but she's an amazing hand at information gathering. She told me that at his magician's orders, Ether had killed over a dozen men. Heard it in the rumor mill.

I didn't believe her at first. He was so polite and courteous. Then we met a Dernish scouting parting, around fifteen men and women. And Ether did his job. If he can kill fifteen Derns easily, then he could pulverize humans with a breath. At this point, I'm afraid to shake the guy's hand. If he knew why I were here...I'm just happy I wasn't at the meeting Cel heard about.

Our contact is in the falconeers. He's actually a Dern in disguise, constantly having to use only a quarter of his power for his everyday actions. He makes sure our messages to the Derns make it there, and the army's to their people don't. I wonder when they'll start worrying about the lack of messages from Kyrome. Our contact better wisen up and let a few through.

I think at least one person already suspects. The girl, Seirapheen, spends an awful lot of time in the falconry. Of course, that may just be because of her own, but I know enough to be wary of magicians. And there are a lot of them here.

One thing's for sure. I must step warily, or Cel, my Dernish friends, and I are all going to be in a lot of trouble.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

12 Reviews

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:01 am
View Likes
maleficent says...

Lyloh Brande

There was a pained expression on the mans face as my lips left his. "It'll be over soon. I promise." My palms caressed either side of his face and I felt the memories flow through my fingertips and then my whole body. It was a waste of my time, stealing the memories of others but I wasn't ashamed to say that I'd grown reliant on the rush.

The warm embraces, the family, the love that was located in the memories of others was delicious. "There we go." I whispered as he gently stumbled backwards. He wouldn't remember a thing in five minutes.

I stroked my hands down the front of my canary yellow frock. It was a relatively warm evening and I could hear children playing a few streets away. It was a shame that they'd probably be dead within the next few weeks, days maybe.

Everybody looked at me as if I was one of these other clueless women, flittering around in their dresses and mooning over boys. I didn't care, it allowed me to blend in. Nobody questioned a perfectly respectable woman roaming the streets under the illusion of shopping. However, the best spies will easily know that among the people are where the best rumours are.

I reached the main street and looked over my shoulder, the man was clambering to his feet and was soon going to leave the alleyway as well. I continued walking and planned on paying a visit to one of my reliable sources, a lowly blacksmith who seemed to know a lot about the Dern. I was itching to enter into a conflict with one, their strength and impeccable fighting abilities were something to be lusted after.

What I couldn't do with enhanced strength. I thought, intrigued. I had already acquired enough abilities to keep me occupied for several lifetimes but I had yet to find anything nearly as exciting as my own personal hunt. Getting close to somebody, sometimes seducing them; only to grab a gentle touch. A fingertip brushed against an arm, a friendly kiss on the cheek or even full on... intimacy. I smirked, I really need to issue myself some boundaries.

After some time, I reached the entrance to one of Kyrome's most underrated blacksmiths and entered. Welcomed by the unfortunately familiar smell of melted gold, I ducked underneath hanging tools and elegantly weaved in and out of the smouldering hot pots.

I could hear the old man tinkering in the back and I seized the opportunity to shift into somebody else. Instantaneously I felt my body began to change, by now I had done it so many times that I often lost track of who everybody else saw.

"Oh, oh. My queen!" Rodrick bowed immediately and I stifled back a snicker. I stepped forward and placed a hand on the back of his head. "Rise, peasant."

Immediately Rodrick stood up straight with arms by his sides. "Do you work here alone?" I already knew he did.

Rodrick nodded, "Yes ma'am."

"Good. Then we shall not be interrupted." I leaned against a wooden working table and mockingly assessed my cuticles. "What do you know of this... Dern invasion, blacksmith."

Rodrick stuttered, his mind failing to sort through his limited vocabulary for the accurate words. "I-I-I don't know much. Just that they're heading this way. Oh! Also that there are rumours that some Derns are posing as humans."

I raised an eyebrow. "Lying to your queen is treason, it would do you well to remember this." He began twiddling his thumbs and a noticeable bead of sweat trickled down his cheek.

"I.. know of a Dern. An imposter, I overheard a conversation he was having with who I can only assume is another spy."

"Who else knows of this?"

"N-Nobody, I swear. Just me... and now you." Rodrick's chest was moving more rapidly, his breathing increasing to accommodate the swift change of his heart beat.

"Good. GUARDS." Rodrick immediately dropped to his knees. "No, no. Please, my queen. I will not tell--" His begging stopped as the snicker breached the confinements of my lips.

I couldn't help but tear up at how desperate this seemingly hard man looked.

"I'm..sorry.." I muttered in between breathes.

Rodrick reached for a blunt object and attempted to lunge for me. I quickly changed into a small fairy I'd come across on the outskirts of the city and used the stolen magic to paralyse him. "Ah, ah, ah."

It was amazing how quickly people were to bend at the knee for a single woman. She wasn't anything particularly special, she had been an easy target. A brief levitation onto the balcony of her room, a sudden shift into her favourite maiden and voila. I had stolen her appearance as well as a very unfortunate memory of family dinners. Her late father was so chipper.

I waved my hand lazily and freed his arm of the magic, I shifted into another person and conjured a piece of paper. "Write down where you saw this Dern and a brief description." I'm going hunting...
Last edited by maleficent on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

12 Reviews

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:44 am
View Likes
maleficent says...

Harper Beau

I paced back and forth on top of the building. How long does it take for an old man to fall asleep? I had been here for hours.

I had some fairly reliable Intel that led me to believe there was a new drifter in town. A merchant who frequented the black market, and he just so happened to have a pair of pearl encrusted deathkeys. Deathkeys were mythological daggers, enchanted so that the owner could teleport a short and visible distance. I need to get my hands on those.

I looked over the edge and saw that the people on the street were beginning to head home. Good. This would be a lot easier without any witnesses.

Thankfully it was only a few more minutes before my target was sound asleep in his chair. I squinted my eyes and continued looking through the window. I retrieved my bow from the gravel floor in front of me and aimed it. I pulled back the string and the whispy arrow appeared. I closed one eye and then released it. The arrow penetrated the glass with almost no sound and the man stirred slightly.

I then pulled back on the string once more. Fastening a thin yet sturdy rope to the arrow, I fired a second time and the shaped light went through the exact same spot the first had provided.

I fixed my bow at an angle behind one of the rusted vents and took a deep breath. I pressed one leather boot onto the rope and pressed down, checking it wasn't going to snap. When I was satisfied, I stepped onto it and began my unassisted trip across the street.

Luckily the wind seemed to be in my favour tonight as it proved to be no obstacle. I reached the window to the home and raised an elbow. Forcing it into the glass, I leapt forward and rolled, the shards of glass swept off of my body and hit the floor.

As suspected, that woke the old man. "Who-Who..." He stopped speaking to reach for the dagger on the table in front of him. Too easy. I thought.

I kicked him but he disappeared in a fragmented cloud of smoke, it was a refined sheet of darkness with a million diamonds embedded within it. He was behind me and I suffered a swift kick to the back.

My knees hit the rug beneath us and I quickly raised a leg backwards, it hit him square in the jaw and he buckled. The dagger was falling to the floor but I grabbed it, immediately teleporting to his struggling body.

Without a second thought I plunged the blade into his neck and smiled. The man you brought this from knew this would happen. Unfortunately you are just a pawn in a much broader, more intricate game.

The life left his eyes in a matter of seconds and I pulled the dagger out. I looked for the missing dagger and saw it underneath the table where the first had been. Careless. I thought as I picked it up.

Now lets see if I can't muscle my way into this invasion.

303 Reviews

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:56 pm
StoneHeart says...

|Wreath.|

“A whispering wind spirit, burning, alive,” the thin carpenter hummed the song gently as he sat at his bench, hammering a carving out of a massive block of oak before him,” What I see in her, is what others know. What I know of her, is nothing new. . . .”

Wreath smiled down at him. She loved to sit there on the windowsill, hiding in the flower pots, watching the young man sing that same song, again and again, day after day, week after week. It never seemed to grow old.

She understood the words, but very few of them held any meaning to her.

“Silver, and shining, filled with light, loving. . . .”

Suddenly a breeze brushed past the window, and Wreath, forgetting the carpenter's song, laughed delightedly and leaped out after it. She flew about in it, frolicking among the leaves and floating seeds, enjoying every whirl and eddy.

It led her away from the little town, nestled in the small valley of the mountains, and up into the forested hills.

The sun fell, but she hardly even noticed it. She did not sleep, she did not feel . . . she had no sense of time. Finally the breeze slowed down and stopped, destroyed by a thick patch of trees. She felt a flash of annoyance at those trees for destroying her fun.

A whirlwind began to materialize out of the air, and her vision was suddenly tinged a flickering, bright red. Then with a crash, the patch of massive pines fell from the force of the wind, and where thrown out of the way.

Slowly her vision returned to normal, and she looked with satisfaction at the debris raining down about her. They wouldn't bother her again. It wasn't that she didn't care about the trees, or that she hated them, she just didn't like it when things annoyed her.

Suddenly her eyes hovered up above were the trees had been, and she froze. Out in the distance she saw the town . . . but something was wrong. Light flickered about in the buildings. Strange light. Fire light. She saw dark shapes. She heard screaming.

In the recesses of her mind she felt something akin to fear. She had seen something like this before. Slowly she began to drift toward the town, her thoughts going to the handsome carpenter, singing his song. He might get hurt! She sped up until she was whistling down the mountainside, making the trees stir violently at her passing.

Flying into the town she didn't understand what had happened. The houses were falling apart, consumed by the horrible, strange red lights. She tried to get close to them but felt herself being pushed backwards.” Stop it!” she cried,” that's not your house.”

It was the young carpenters house.

Suddenly she saw him, lying down a few feet away, and crying out with delight, flew up to him,” hurry, help you house!” she said, landing on his back.

But he didn't respond. He just lay there on the ground, not moving. Slowly she drifted down in front of his face . . . he was looking so strange, staring blankly out into space, his eyes dead. Gently she lay her hand on his face. He didn't move.

“Are you awake?” she asked softly, but he didn't answer.

She turned thoughtful. She knew she'd seen men lying like her friend now lay. They seemed to always go still at some time or other. Usually another person would come along and take them away after a while . . . but nobody was there. Looking around she saw other villagers, all lying still.

Deathly still, the words passed through her mind. Slowly she lowered her hand and felt the ground, it was sticky and made her hand turn red. She shook her head. It was like a sleep that humans never woke up from.

Gently she caressed the carpenters face. He'd been so nice. He'd sung so sweetly, almost as though it was just for her.

Suddenly a dark figure appeared out of the flames. He looked like a man, but he was bright, covered in some kind of shining clothing. He didn't even seem to notice her as he stepped up to the body of another villager.

She felt something was wrong with this man. He was somehow different form the others. Feeling afraid, she turned and hid behind the body of the young carpenter, looking out through his long brown hair at the figure, outlined in flames, leaning over the other villager.

Suddenly he picked up the body, and to her horror, threw it into the house. The red light seemed to converge on the person, greedily lapping against him.

No! She averted her face, her heart beating hard. It was too horrible to see.

But as she looked again, the man was coming toward her, no, he was coming toward the young carpenter. Summoning a breeze, she waved goodbye to her friend and flew up onto the roof of one of the nearby houses.

The dark figure moved fast, as though he were running while walking. It was strange. When he reached her friend he simply reached down, and with one arm, threw him into the house, with the other villager.

She stared in shock. That could have killed him! . . . And then she froze, the truth finally dawning on her. Her friend was already dead.

She tore her gaze from the dead carpenter, and returned to the shining man, who was now walking up to the villager's who lay on the ground, moving softly, and moaning. Good! He was going to help him! The villager wasn't dead yet! The shining man would help him. He would live.

She smiled in relief.

But as the shining man reached the moaning villager he didn't do as she'd thought he would, leaning down and taking care of him. Instead he pulled a long spike of steel out of his side and drove it into the mans chest. There was a final cry, and then the man went still.

Wreath stared in horror at the shining man, who now threw the dead body into the flames. He must have killed the people.

Slowly fury began to arise inside her. All those charming, lovely, pointless people she'd known . . . watched grow up, and even cared about. He'd killed them. All of them.

Without a sound, the winds arose, the flames whipped about violently, the trees on the edge of the small town blew about violently . . . and then, concentrating with all her power on the shining man, she willed the winds to destroy him.

And they did.

Spoiler! :
Just a quick intro post! We're doing good, guys! We go from intro, to primary critical point, level out, and then build up to the end.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:02 pm
View Likes
umaima says...

Seirapheen Collens

"I saw her go that way" a guard barked and I paused my pace and slipped behind a wooden antique table which was used as a show piece in my dining room, probably the only place I could hide in.

You might be thinking what I'm doing right now? I'm proudly running away from home and basically my house is the palace. I am the most power magician's daughter and I am not happy been it. Though yes, I belong to royalty.

I have read many fairy tales but never saw any princess runnin away from home, they all just do all the elegant stuff and find their so called 'prince charmings' which don't really exist in real life but foor me it is different.

My kingdom is at war, though I'm not really affected by it (because father takes all the tension, I don't find it neccesary for me to) The real problem is, I have to do everything according to father's will which is not acceptable by me. i have tried to act all princess type but that just isn't meant for me. It's like asking a fish to climb a tree (Absurd). So I decided to break free.

Now basically I had guards running all over the kingdom and my house to search for me. oh Did I mention how they came to know about it? Well, because of the note I left before 10 minutes on my father's desk.

Don't Panick Father because your heart is very weak and you can get a heart attack after reading what I actually want to tell you. I am running away from Home. Yes, you can scream now

That's what I wrote on it, foolish I know but what else could I write? So now you might have came to know that I am not only an out-going, stubburn and brave princess but also a foolish one. My name is Siera, the most insane magician you might have ever met.

Apparently I was escaping from the dungeon like place as I would like to call it and from the most dangerous magician of the kingdom... (and bossy)... (and commanding)... (and possessive). After getting out of here I think I will feel like a have a life and I will be able to live it to the fullest.

As soon as the shadows disappeared I quickly got up and headed towards the door. Darn it! It was locked.I looked towards the room and found only one way to escape. A window. Yes, I am a magician but my transporting powers are horrible and they make me weak and right now I cannot take the risk of becoming weak so jumping from the window is the only alternative.

I looked down the window and the height surprised me. Wow. One thing was sure, in no way could I jump down in this horrible huge gown so i did a spell and made it short. Then I put a spell on the ground and made it softer.

After landing on the ground successfully I smiled. And then jumped over a wall. Today, I had done the most amazing thing in my life. I had finally escaped from home. I didn't know where I was going or what I was going to do after this but one thing was sure. I, Seirapheen Collens, was finally going to live her life.
“The strong person is not the one who can wrestle someone else down. The strong person is the one who can control himself when he is angry.”

“It is better to sit alone than in company with the bad; and it is better still to sit with the good than alone.”

241 Reviews

Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:15 pm
View Likes
Jonathan says...

Aradian Stormlight.

I stood up and felt something had happened, I got up quickly and ran outside there I found a man standing next to a horse the size of a rhino, the king was standing about ten feet away and walked up to me and he said "General Dentom is requesting a powerful magician with powers over fire and..."

"You thought I could go" I finished for him.

"Well... Yes." He said.

He was acting very strange stuttering and not sure of himself the king was never un sure of himself. I got onto the giant horses back and rode out of the castle through the marsh land outside and kept on riding the horse never seemed to get tired, it just kept on going never stopping not even changing pace.

After we had been going for about an hour my behind began to ache and burn almost ten hours later we stopped for the night it was in a dark tavern where there were a bunch of other guys who had the uniforms of Kyrome's solders.

I walked up to the tavern keeper gave him some gold coins and walked up stairs to a room in the top level of the tavern, I could feel the eyes of the solders go after em and I looked into there minds and saw that they were thinking of stealing from me.

I walked into my room laid down and grabbed a dagger in my hand, about half an hour later I could hear them coming up the stairs "Trying" not to be heard but they sounded like an elephant had been dropped on the house.

When they were right next to me one of them grabbed a sword but I pulled out my knife turned it red hot and stuck his leg, he fell over with a yell and I turned the other one into an icicle with one wave of my hand.

I barley moved and went back to sleep after I teleported them out into the dirt. I did not have to go with them so I just went back to sleep.

303 Reviews

Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:49 pm
View Likes
StoneHeart says...

|Ether Darkide|

“Ether?”

The man lying on the cot twitched in his sleep, rolling over.

“Ether!” whispered the unseen speaker.

Ether's eyes snapped open, and he sat up with a jerk. Quickly he glanced around the empty cell. Nobody was there. “Hello?” he called.

No answer. All he could see were the perfectly smooth, magically reinforced walls of the cell, the rough mattress he slept on, and the single steel stool where he spent much of his time. Nobody was there. Again.

Well, at least I'm not dead, he sighed, falling back down. No . . . he was dead. Not mentally or physically, but to everything else. Nobody even saw him as a human anymore. He was Inarvi. He was a tool; a weapon . . . no more good or evil than the person who held it's controls.

He almost relished the past week. But for random meals that slipped in his door, there was no sign that anybody else existed. He didn't have to face the suspicious and hateful glares, he didn't have to fight and kill, he didn't have to feel the fear and care others showed around him . . . but he was lonely. He sometimes truly wished for some human-

Blood splattered the whitewashed walls. Bodies fell to the ground like puppets who's strings had been released. Red firelight flickered in the night sky . . .

“Stop!” It was happening again.

A fearful face suddenly appeared out of the night. A young man, swinging his sword as hard as he could . . . futilely hoping to hit Ether. SMASH! Another body fell to the ground, cut clean in half-

“Open the door!” he was vaguely aware of the un-yeilding walls shaking as he pounded them,” Make it stop!” He couldn't have done what he saw! He couldn't have!

Suddenly the images ceased . . . and the only thing he feared more began to replace them. Emptiness began to creep up on his mind. The feeling of control. His thoughts began to be crushed, being put out one after the other -and then suddenly everything went black and the door slid open.

“Fully controlled sir! Congratulations!” a voice came, echoing about in Dane's mind.

“Does he have to always be controlled?”

“No sir! But one hit from him and you'd be dead. It's safest.” A pair of thick, leather army boots slammed down in front of his eyes.

“Wake up, kid!”

Kill him, one part of Ether's mind whispered, but he could hardly move. He felt slowed down. He felt weak. And he felt sick.

Slowly he opened his eyes, his vision hazy, and stood, coming up face to face with a very particularly odd looking person. He was tall, straight- in a military fashion- with short grey hair and glaring blue eyes. It was what he wore that stood out. On a man such as he, with a posture such as his, one might have expected a full military uniform, but instead he wore incredibly fancy, lacy, and frilly clothing. Enough pieces to clothe a dozen men.

The mark of a magician. In those clothes were sure to be hidden a thousand different spells. Their very fabric was sure to be filled with magic. But even with the odd clothing, the man looked a bit stiff and formal. But he was a magician, if Ether had ever seen one.

“Ether Darkide!” the man said, his tone friendly, with a rough, curt curb to it,” I am Feild-General Zur Typher, your new magician controller.”

Ether bowed slightly, smiling as best he could without throwing up at the thought of his most recent flashback, “nice to meet you”, he said softly. The man wasn't controlling him, and he wasn't being particularly cruel. That was a good sign. So far.

“Your old magician,” the General continued,” has been suspended for suspicious activity. But that's not why I'M here. I need your help on something.”

Ether said nothing.

Slowly the magician frowned, crossing his arms and glancing curiously at one of the two waiting armoured strike-guards. “Does he ever ask questions?”

“People don't like questions.” Ether answered for the guard.

Typher raised an eyebrow at him, “how am I to know what you don't know if you don't tell me? And what a better way to tell me than through a question?”

Ether said nothing. Officer's were hard to deal with. Guards you could joke and have fun with . . . but officers? They were a different matter.

“Boy,” Typher said firmly, “other men may find questions annoying and rude, but I need you to ask about what you don't know!”

Ether sighed, you just want me to say it, huh? “What do you need my help with?”

“There we go!” Typher said enthusiastically, “As you may or may not know, the war has recently begun to take an . . . odd turn. The Derns are amassing a massive army just inside their borders, congress has ordered our lines back to the edge of the Gnadenfeld (|Great Plains|), and the Derns have also sent their ENTIRE fleet half way around the world so that it can block our passage to Kyrome! What does this tell you?”

Ether shrugged.

The general rolled his eyes, “Senetra's greatest weapon is you, Ether! You and the other Inarvi. If the Derns could ever find a way to defeat you then they would be able to turn the tide of the war!" he paused," And I believe they have done just that!”

“So . . .” It didn't matter to Ether who won. Not anymore.

“So? So!” Typher looked incredulous, “We have to find a solution! We have to find a way to keep the people safe! You care about that -don't you?”

Ether froze. It was touchy ground here. He must choose his words carefully . . . but he preferred not to lie. “I . . . do what I can, sir” he compromised. No hate.

Typher nodded, “as part of the army our number-one job is to keep the people safe! To provide a backup plan in case the politicians fail us! And you are going to be part of that plan!”

There was a long silence before Ether spoke again, “that plan being . . . ?”

“We have to find a way to destroy the Dern fleet and make sure we can make it to Kyrome! If we can make it to Kyrome then we'll be able to get some real, solid help I mean. We'll be able to have a fall-back point. We'll have a way out of this if thing's go badly!”

“Isn't the Dern fleet impossible to beat?” Ether asked cautiously.

“Well, for our fleets,” Typher said, “I'm afraid to say that it is. Which is why I'm getting together a special group to take care of the job. And I, er, was thinking that you could be part of that group -if you wanted to?”

Did he just ASK me something, Ether was surprised. Nobody HADN'T rudely taken what they wanted from him, when and how they wanted it, for the past two hundred years.

He paused, “I would do what I can, sir!” he couldn't say no. He held no cards in this game. And who knew, maybe this would hold a chance for him to better his life . . . and maybe learn something about it on the way.

“I need you to keep an eye out for anything that stands out!” They were in a large, military styled room. Zur was pacing back and forth behind his paper-littered desk, and Ether stood facing him, “By anything I mean anything! If we're going to beat that fleet then we're not going to want huge numbers of men! We're going to want special men. Or creatures!”

“Now I'm going to be giving you a week to find them. Whatever or whoever you find! Offer them what they want, I can get it for them! Recruit them and bring them to me.” Zur turned to him, his face hard, “You MUST be careful not to let word of your mission get out! If the Dern's hear that we're getting a special group together then they'll be able to find a way to beat them!”

There was a long pause. Ether understood. There was nothing to the plan; Find anyone or anything with special abilities and recruit them. He was surprised and glad that he wasn't to be controlled . . . but suspicious as well. Suddenly a thought occurred to him, “why me?”

Zur turned to him, “what?”

“Why did you recruit me to do this?” he elaborated, “Why not one of the other Inarvi? Why not your own human soldiers? Why do you need an Inarvi at all?”

A smile twitched at the General's face, “Because, Ether, as an Inarvi you're fast and strong enough to get rid of problems quickly and efficiently. And I chose you precisely, because, well,” he paused “you're a nice person. It's as simple as that. If you have to fight, you will and can, but you'll make sure you do what you can to avoid that first! If you were a bit more trustful then you'd be perfect!”

Ether nodded slightly, “well, I'll get going immediately, sir!”

Zur nodded, “no need to wait! Just remember, be careful. You want powers we can use. Skills too.” Ether bowed low. And then he slipped out the door and was gone.

Spoiler! :
Essential, but boring, post. Of course the Derns will get a HINT of what's going on and be able to get in the way a bit. Now Ether's going to be going out to try to find YOU guys. People with powers like yours would be essential. <>

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:59 pm
View Likes
Jony says...

Sweat slowly dribbled down the side of my face as I made my way up the side of the mountain. The main trail that I had started on was long gone and I was walking through backroads as the incline slowly started to increase. Trees surrounded me as I walked through the lush mountain forest.

It had been months since I set out in search of Kyromese capital, I was hoping when I made it there, I would be able to find work as a guard and work my way up the ranks until I had made a name for myself.

Continuing along the path, I noticed a break in the tree line up ahead. Grassy fields and scattered farms laid ahead and the sun, now high in the cloudless Kyromian sky, scattered rays all throughout these farm lands.

Shrugging my backpack up higher, I heard the rattle of runes from one of the pockets as I walked through the tall, yellowish grass. I had been using them sparingly over the course of a few months as I made may way across Kyrome and each time I picked one of the oddly shaped crystals up, they would glow a certain color.

The sounds of farm animals up ahead broke through my thoughts, I squinted and ran my fingers through my now damp brown hair. Animals were scattered across the property and I could see a small farmhouse up ahead, it was well built and sturdy, using Kyromian wood.

Walking towards the house, I noticed a well and stopped to get a drink of water. The rope holding the bucket up was frayed and well worn and the wooden bucket, now chipped and cracked. It had been a much loved well.

I shrugged off my backpack and laid my two swords on the ground next to it, their old leather sheaths now deteriorating and flaking away like melting snow. The intense heat left my throat dry and my lips cracked, I grabbed the bucket and right before I sent it down into the bowels of the well, I noticed an odd smell emitting from somewhere near bye.

Crinkling my nose, I spat in disgust and tried to cover my face with my thin, grey tunic. It smelled like rotten eggs and ancient mold eating away at rotting pig flesh, something so fowl that even greedy, fat maggots would stay their distance in repugnance.

My eyes watered and I tried to ignore the sickly sweet smell as the bucket slowly descended into the darkness of the damp, stone lined well. I gagged as I started bringing, the now brimming with cold water bucket up to the surface. Something wasn't right.

Red tinged water sloshed around the inside of the now crimson stained wooden bucket, the smell was coming from the inside of the well. Leaning over the side, I saw gore splattered against the damp, grey stone walls like a twisted, dark painting. I saw blood dribble down the sides like slow, oozing puss out of an infected, maimed wound.

I need to get out of here. I stood up and started scrambling for my supplies, something wasn't right around this here and I felt something dark and ominous lurking around the once cheerful farm.

Sweat streamed down my face, not from just the heat anymore. I felt tense and on edge, like I was being stalked, like I was being hunted. I grabbed my backpack and as I was bending down to pick up my swords, I jerked to the left out of reflexes. I gasped, covering my dry, cracked lips with my salty, damp palm.

Inches away from my face, a feather fletched arrow stood, erected in the solid, grey stone of the well. The force of the arrow had shattered and chipped away some of the rock. My heart beat erratically against my heaving chest as I tried to wrestle for control over my now schizophrenic nerves.

I grabbed my backpack and ran as two more arrows blossomed from the stone like Cypress, I could almost smell the sticky sappy plant as I ran through the tall yellow, dry grass. The blades lashing out at my fair skin like whips as I tried retreating into the farmhouse, long red marks tattooing themselves to my flesh.

Panic gripped my body and crushed my soul like I was trapped in an iron maiden made up of my own fears and pain. I could hear the snapping of grass behind me, they were close. I could smell gore wafting off their sweaty bodies as they continued to hunt me through the long, yellow tendrils.

I rolled to the side as I felt an arrow brush up against the side of my face, like lady death slowly caressing my cheeks, her long white fingers cupping my face and her seductive face leaning in for a kiss.

Landing on the ground with a grunt, I gasped, the air knocked out of me. I tried inhaling, but I couldn't breath. It was like I was drowning in air. My backpack had landed beside me, the straps on it snapped and the my runes scattered on the ground before me.

I tried reaching for one of the crystal like rocks, my fingers stretched as far as I could, the rays of the sun reflecting off them and casting kaleidoscope like beams onto the hot, dry ground. The sounds of the hunters were getting closer, I could smell the stench of gore and blood. Each sound leading them closer to me. Snap, Snap, Crunch.

I felt waves of anguish wash over my body like rolling waves on a lone, dark coast. Snap, Snap, Crunch. Reaching out, my fingers barely a hair's width away, I tried grabbing one of the beckoning runes. My heart heaving against my chest, I still couldn't breath, just shallow intakes of my own recycled Carbon Dioxide. I was breathing in my own poison.

Snap, Snap, Crunch. Grey fog started drifting into my vision. Snap, Snap, Crunch. My lungs filling with carbon dioxide and my chest heaved with anguish as I slowly reached out. Snap, Snap, Crunch. I looked up in despair, my face contorted with pain. Silence.

Two Dern's faced me, their skin leathery and overly tan, I had heard they were once human but to me, they just looked like monsters. Blood and gore stained their ripped tunics and the smell made me sick. Two barbed swords were pointed at my chest and their faces were twisted with demonic glee. I cringed as one of the swords pierced my flesh, the point slowly burying it's way into my flesh, blood slowly rising from the wound.

I felt like crying but no tears came, I felt like gasping but no breath emerged, I felt like moving but no movement seemed worth it. It was like seeing a guillotine move in slow motion towards your neck, you knew you were going to die, so nothing seemed worth doing.

I groaned inwardly as one of the Dern's kicked me in the crotch, I tried curling up in a little ball. I looked one last time over at my runes, their crystal like substance shinning brightly in the hot, afternoon sun. Had I moved? I looked once again at the runes, I think the Dern's kick had moved me closer to the rune's.

I reached out once again, the Dern's laughed, it sounded like a smoker's deep throaty chuckle mixed with a pig snort. They thought I was trying to grab my wealth before I died. My dirt covered palm slowly encased a blue rune and I could feel heat radiating off of it like a torch.

Energy slowly leaked off the rune as I leached off it's power. I could feel the substance absorb into my being like a rag absorbing water. Suddenly I could breath again, my panic subsiding like a tide retreating back into the ocean. I felt powerful.

I lashed out with my leg against the first Dern, sending him sprawling into the dirt, sending up a cloud of brown dust. I yanked the short-sword out from my chest and could feel the wound instantly enclose. I looked around, the Dern's were nowhere in sight.

Spinning around, I cut through the air with the sword, an arrow aimed for my head splintering into hundreds of pieces. I instinctively rolled to the side as another blade whipped through the air I once stood.

I got up and confronted the Dern, his face twisted in confusion and malice. Striking at me, clumsily, the Dern attacked. I parried the strike easily and thrust the sword into the Dern's chest, blood spraying from his mouth. Letting go of the sword, I turned to the other Dern, the table's were turned and I could feel the tension in the air.

The Dern charged, thinking it had the upper hand, I struck out with my leg and kicked the Dern in the chest, sending it sprawling. Coughing on the ground, the Dern looked up at me in fear and confusion.

"Who are you, human?" it managed to say.

"Tell whoever your master is, that I am Enn, grandson of the hero of Kyrome," I spat as I snapped the Dern's bow in half.

After gathering my stuff and making sure the Dern was on his way, I walked towards the farmhouse. The effects of the rune now worn off as I grew closer to the old wood house. I opened the door slowly, the creaking of the old wood echoing through the dark living room.

A metal furnace stood in a corner, and a lone table in the center of the room. Dust from the air starting to settle on everything, the house seemed so... empty. Two small cots were positioned in two corners of the room, I thought I heard something move in the smaller bed.

Slowly, I walked over, sunlight dimly bleeding through one of the curtained windows, illuminating the dust in the air as I knelt down and pulled back the covers. Blond hair and big blue eyes, those were the first things I saw when pulling back the sheets.

"Where's my mommy and daddy?" she asked, her blue eyes filling up with salty tears.

Suddenly it hit me, they were in the well. I tried smiling but I couldn't, knowing what had happened to her parents, she looked like she was only six. "It's alright, your parents are fine," I started choking up. "They told me that they were going to be gone for... a long time and I'm going to look after you from now on."

She looked at me with those giant blue eyes and smiled weakly, streams of tears now running down her small, fair face. "I'm bleeding," she lifted up her petite hands and I almost started crying as I looked at her stomach, her once white dress now dyed a light red.

I grabbed her hands and held them tightly. "You will be fine, what's your name?" I said, trying to distract her from the pain.

"Fiona..." she said, now hiccuping as she cried.

"Fiona," my voice cracked. "I want you to know that your parents love you, now just go to sleep," a tear streamed down my face. "Your parents will be back soon."

I stroked her hair as she laid down and looked at me. "Thank you," she whispered.

I can't do this... I thought, I can't deal with more death, first everyone I knew, now this little girl. I wanted to scream, I wanted to cry and on some nights, I wanted to kill myself. But right then, I just wanted to give Fiona the life she deserved to live, and I knew I couldn't even do that.

I tried to stay strong as I knelt there, in the dark, gloomy house, trying to comfort a dying girl.
"Lullay lullow, lullay lully,
Beway bewy, lullay lullow,
Lullay lully,
Baw me bairne, sleep softly now.

I saw a sweet and seemly sight,
A blissful burd, a blossom bright,
That morning made and mirth among.

Lullay lullow, lullay lully,
Lullay lully,

A maiden mother, meek and mild,
In cradle keep, a knav?? child,
That softly sleep; she sat and sang.

Lullay lullow, lullay lully,
Lullay lully,
Baw me bairne, sleep softly now."

I sang softly, caressing her hair, tears streaming down my face. It was a lullaby my mother used to sing to me to make me go to sleep, my voice cracked as I sang and when I opened my eyes, she was... asleep

"Goodnight," were my last words as I ran my hand over her face, closing her big blue eyes for the last time.

Getting up, I made my over to the door, my hand wiping the salty tears from my face. Turning, I gave one last wave to the little farmhouse and slowly shut the door, the creaking echo the last thing the house would hear in a long time.
“In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die:
Ever drifting down the stream- Lingering in the golden gleam- Life, what is it but a dream?”
― Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass

-Jon7670

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
— Thomas Edison