z

Young Writers Society

ATTENTION STORYBOOKERS: Your input is needed.

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:58 pm
StoneHeart says...

I don't think we'd need to start sorting SB's by genre until we have a few hundred SB's going at any one time.

I like the badges and the points-for-posting idea!

>>
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

303 Reviews

Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:00 pm
StoneHeart says...

I think a LITTLE bit of restriction on SB posts size might be appropriate.

No offense Aria, but sometimes your posts' size gets really, really, really old. And for a new member it's pretty much impossible to find the time to read them. >> It was for me.

I wouldn't say restrict them that far though . . .

2,000 words is a decent limit. Aria's are usually 3.5 or so . . .

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:50 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

BlackNether12 wrote:I think a LITTLE bit of restriction on SB posts size might be appropriate.

No offense Aria, but sometimes your posts' size gets really, really, really old. And for a new member it's pretty much impossible to find the time to read them. >> It was for me.

I fail to see how being a new member corresponds with having or not having time to read SB posts.

Restricting the length of posts in general is something I'm definitely against. However, if there's a way to make each SB creator able to put up a restriction for posts' length in their Storybook, I suppose that would be a solution. If not, then perhaps people wanting shorter or longer posts than a certain number of characters should note so in the rules of their SBs, for everyone to see before joining.

As I said before, there is something for everyone - some will not join ones, some won't join the others. In my book, that's way better than having some stop or not even start joining any.

On a more cheerful note, thanks, Nate. It sounds great, and I'm glad to see that you and the rest of the staff really care of making this place even better than it is. I'm not surprised by it - but it does get me somewhat amazed every time.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:27 pm
View Likes
veeren says...

I think badges are an awesome idea and can't wait to see them being incorporated into Storybooks.

As for post lengths, restricting them makes no sense. Not allowing people to write how much they want to write on a writing website is kind of counter-productive. Area's solution works best for me.
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:31 pm
View Likes
Caesar says...

People who are naturally inclined to write less will write less, people who are naturally inclined to write more.

Perhaps, someone who usually has three line posts is involved in a glorious scene, and ends up writing two lines. Perhaps (yeah right) Sis looks at a storybook, not knowing what to do, and writes three lines. Blame it on a bad hair day.

Restricting posts would be, as Veer said, counter-productive, and somewhat silly. I also agree with Veer on the badges. Can't wait to behold all the shiny.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:34 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

No way should we ever restrict length of SB posts. Have a look at the length of these posts. Pokébook was one of the best SBs I ever took part in, I'm pretty sure every single other player would agree with me without a moment's hesitation (and some non-players even read it for fun).

The achievements sound good, but I agree we're not big enough yet to hold multiple tiers/forums- however, in that thread- would it be possible to have, like, a badge system for threads? So, say someone did get the "advanced" storybook badge, they would have the ability to mark it as a "Gold Standard" SB or something, as an incentive? But probably a labour-intensive and rather un-fruitful idea.

Thanks a bunch for this, Dono & Nate :)

-Stella x
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

303 Reviews

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:01 pm
StoneHeart says...

>>

I'z wrong I guess.

My problem is that I just don't have time to read the amount of writing that I'm required to read to keep up with an SB. Like on The Second Wonderland Rift . . . I just don't have time to read 3 or 4 thousand words (for ONE SB only mind you) every time I get online. Not even during break.

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:19 pm
View Likes
Blackwood says...

Although I don't think there should be a word count restriction, Blacknether does have a point. I can not make time to read the massive posts in LLL, a storybook I am involved in. (no offence guys) But I usually have to just skip and read only the characters relevant to my next post otherwise I would be there all day.
I'm not saying to write less but just be considerate to Blacknethers point because it does affect a few of us.

I think it would be wise for creators to put an approximate post length value at the start of their storybook so participants know what to expect.
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:13 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Regarding the badges, please be aware that it's a lot of work for some of them. It's going to take me a minimum of 40 hours to set the whole system up. So, don't expect it soon!

On post length, I think that's best handled by the individual storybook creators. My aim with all these changes is not to restrict in any way, but rather to allow greater flexibility and expand the options available to members. The only time I'll add in a restriction is when there's overwhelming support for it from the membership (closed storybooks for example).

303 Reviews

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:42 pm
StoneHeart says...

<3 Problemo solved

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:43 am
EloquentDragon says...

Ah yes, a glorious solution- let the creators handle that!

Note: not mentioned here but it should have been--- long posts often lend themselves to god- modding.

Another note: the new format for SBs should make the genre pretty clear. It's just really for searching for new books to join. Maybe there could be a keyword search or something--- that aside maybe there could be a better search bar in general. (*cough cough, ahem, Nate* )
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:48 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Can't do a search bar for storybooks, but I could set up short descriptions to show when browsing the storybooks area.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:50 am
Omni says...

Don't worry yourself about that, Nate :P

Where it is right now, all people need to do is control f to find a key-word. You already have a lot of things on your hands, and the Storybook forum is really too small to need anything like that.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

289 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 289
Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:29 am
Caesar says...

Nate wrote:Can't do a search bar for storybooks, but I could set up short descriptions to show when browsing the storybooks area.

Please please please please. Pretty please. With as many cherries as you'd like.
vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:22 am
noninjaes says...

Quick question: would these badges be given to those who have achieved the requirements before the implimentation of badges?
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

GET YER EYES AWAY FROM MY EYE SOCKETS >.>
— herbalhour