z

Young Writers Society

Welcome to Camp Half-Blood (Started/ Still Accepting)

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:11 pm
View Likes
Noelle says...

This SB has started, but there's always room for more campers! Please PM me if you want to join. I'll definitely let you in, I just want a head's up first.

I don't know how many of you are still into the Percy Jackson and the Heroes of Olympus series, but I've done a couple of storybooks with this similar premise before and I enjoyed them a lot. So I wanted to start up a new one. If you haven't read the books you can still join, but make sure you get a good understanding about the series before you join.

Background:
(This takes place just after the Titan War although none of the characters from the books, like Percy and Annabeth and all them, will be in this. We'll just pretend they don't exist)

It's the beginning of another wonderful summer at Camp Half-Blood. Mr. D is playing pinochle with some satyrs, the Apollo cabin is showing off their basketball skills, Pelus the dragon is guarding the golden fleece, the Ares cabin is picking a fight with the Hermes cabin because they stole their sleeping bags. Basically, it's a normal summer.

And then there's you. Maybe you're a veteran at camp or you've just arrived sometime in the past year. Maybe you've just crossed the boundaries of camp and you haven't even been claimed yet.

But no matter who you are and who your godly parent is, we hope that your stay here at Camp Half-Blood is enjoyable and educational. It is in our sincerest hopes that you do not die or get burned on the rock wall (watch out for the lava).

Map of Camp
Spoiler! :
http://www.rickriordan.com/my-books/percy-jackson/welcome-to-camp-half-blood/interactive-map.aspx
The picture was apparently too big to attach so here's the link to Rick Riordan's website.

A Typical Day at Camp:
Spoiler! :
8:00-9:00 ~ Breakfast
9:00-10:30 ~ Ancient Greek
10:30-11:00 ~ Lunch Prep
11:00-12:00 ~ Archery
12:00-12:30 ~ Greek Mythology
12:30-13:30 ~ Lunch
13:30-15:30 ~ Weapon Making
15:30-17:00 ~ Cabin Clean-up
17:00-18:00 ~ Free time
18:00-19:00 ~ Dinner
19:00-21:00 ~ Volleyball
21:00-22:00 ~ Campfire sing-along

The gods of Olympus:
Spoiler! :
Zeus - god of the sky. His symbol is the eagle. Children of Zeus have power over lightning and can even "fly" by manipulating the air to carry them.

Hera - goddess of marriage and families. Her symbol is the cow. Since she's the goddess of marriage, she does not have any demi-god children.

Poseidon - god of the sea. His symbol is the trident. Children of Poseidon have power over all things having to do with water.

Demeter - goddess of agriculture. Her symbol is a corn plant. Children of Demeter are very skilled at gardening.

Ares - god of war. His symbol is a wild boar. Children of Ares are skilled in fighting and have quick tempers. Don't mess with them.

Athena - goddess of wisdom and war. Her symbol is the owl. Children of Athena are intelligent and very good strategists.

Apollo - god of archery, music, poetry, prophecy and medicine. His symbol is the lyre. Children of Apollo are skilled archers and have perfect aim.

Artemis - goddess of the moon and the hunt. She is the leader of the Hunters, a group of girls who have been granted immortality and sworn off boys in order to serve and fight with Artemis. Her symbols are the moon and the deer. Artemis does not have any demi-god children.

Hephaestus - god of blacksmiths and fire. His symbol is a hammer. Children of Hephaestus are skilled builders and can fix almost anything.

Aphrodite - goddess of love and beauty. Her symbol is the dove. Children of Aphrodite are obsessed with their appearance and the appearance of others. But don't underestimate them, they can fight if it comes to it.

Hermes - god of the roadways, travelers, merchants and thieves. He's also the messenger to the gods. His symbol is the caduceaus. Children of Hermes are skilled at many different things and like to steal, although they don't necessarily steal from the other campers.

Dionysus (Mr. D) - god of wine. He is the director at Camp Half-Blood. His symbol is a grape vine. Children of Dionysus are skilled when it comes to growing vines and always enjoy a good party.

Hades - god of the Underworld. His symbol is the helm of darkness, a hat which can make him invisible. Children of Hades have power over the dead spirits of the Underworld. In the books, Nico D'Angelo was able to call skeletons out of the earth to fight in the war.

Already Established Characters You'll Find At Camp (from the books):
Spoiler! :
Argus - head of security. He had eyes covering his entire body.

Rachel Dare - also known as the Oracle. She stops by every so often and may even blurt out a prophecy.

naiads - water maidens who live in lakes and rivers.

dryads - tree spirits that live in the forest. Satyrs are in love with them and can be found chasing the spirits until they turn back into trees.

satyrs - upper body of a human, but lower body of a goat. They are protectors and head out to find new demi-gods to bring back to camp.

Rules
Spoiler! :
1. All YWS SB rules apply
2. No cussing. Rick doesn't do it so we won't either.
3. No god modding.
4. Don't kill off other characters unless they want you to. I know that people don't usually die at Camp Half-Blood on a normal day, but there might be invasions or battles, you never know. And you know some people die on quests, so if there's a quest (wink, wink) there's always a possibility of that. But try and keep everyone alive. Try not to fall into the lava pit under the rock wall.
5. No minimum word count for posts. Write as much as you think you need. Just try not to make it too short or too long.
6. All non SB posts should go in the DT. The link is below.
7. All camp activities are organized by me. Winners for things such as capture the flag and chariot races will be decided by a number system. I will give more information at that time.
8. You can have more than one character, but no more than two.
9. Three days out here will equal one day in the SB. That way we can get everyone's posts in and have more time to finish the capture the flag games and all that.
10. Have fun!!

Cabin Openings (I'll try to stay on top of this and note who is in what cabin):
Spoiler! :
Zeus
1. Gemini (f) - Loyalheart
2. Travis (m) - Skyguy
Poseidon
1. Ness (m) - Vereen
2. Aiden (m) - Cailey
3. Lena (f) - Wonder
Hades
1. Alice (f) - MagmaLlama
2. Miranda (f) - aquestioning
Ares
1. Alex (m) - KiePie
2. Lexi (f) - Noelle
3. Juliet (f) - Ignorance
4. John (JD) (m) - danickname
Athena
1. Harlow (f) - Ignorance
2. Audrey (f) - ???
3. Natahni (f) - TrinaleeHatch
Apollo
1. Wakely (f) - Americus
2. Rand (m) - AdventurerDaniel
3. Ben (m) - jon7670
Aphrodite
1. Ella (f) - Sunshine
2. Abri (f) - Carina
3. Lucas m) - jon7670
Hephaestus
1. Marxus (m) - Noelle
Demeter
1. Abrin (m) - Dragonette
2. Maya (f) - xXmusicaXx
Dionysus
1. Damon (m) - Dragonette
Hermes
1. Miria (f) - KiePie
2. Laila (f) - dutifulwriter

Artemis
1. Cheyenne (f) - Skyguy

Camper Profile
Spoiler! :
Name:
Parents: (Mortal and god)
Appearance:
Personality:
Brief history:
Favorite Weapon:
Magical Item (if you have one):
Up for love:
Other:

One last thing!!!! This is the first storybook I've ever been in charge of so bare with me. I've participated in enough storybooks over the years that I'm sure I know how everything works. I figured I would give you all a heads up though.

So, what are you waiting for? Sign up to attend Camp-Half Blood! :smt001

Link to DT: Welcome to Camp Half-Blood: DT
Last edited by Noelle on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:25 pm
Iggy says...

I'd like to claim a daughter of Athena, please. :)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:32 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

Name: Harlow Van Halen.

Parents: Athena, Goddess of Wisdom, and Samuel Van Halen.

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Hair: Long blonde waves.
Eyes: An intelligent sea-green.
Height: 5'6".
Weight: 135 lbs of lean muscle and curves.

Personality: Harlow is a kind, clever woman of eighteen years. She is the head counselor for Cabin Six, Athena's cabin. She is the wisest of them all, she is also the oldest and the most experienced. She is very patient with all of her brothers and sisters, and she extends her kind heart and helpful suggestions to those in the other cabins. Unlike her siblings (and mother), she has no problem with children of Poseidon, because she is nice to everyone.

Be warned, though. She has a lot of patience, but even she can snap from time to time. She has such a way with words that she can make someone cry just by yelling at them in disappointment and even anger.

Brief history: Harlow was born one day on the subway, as Athena boarded the vehicle and took the only open seat next to Samuel. They got to talking for a good two hours until Samuel got off, leaving her with his number.

One month later, a mysterious man arrived at his doorstep with a letter and a sleeping baby nested in a basket. Very old fashioned, very strange. Samuel thought he was dreaming until the man disappeared and the child awoke. He read the letter and was.. conflicted. Athena admitted to being something entirely different and she explained that her daughter, Harlow, was indeed his, even though they never had sexual intercourse. She explained the dangers Harlow might face when she reached twelve and to take her to a camp.

Confused, but immediately protective of his child, Samuel simply memorized the letter and burned it, then calmly called his sister and asked her to buy him all he needed to raise a girl. Many questions arouse, but Samuel batted them away, saying he had a sexual encounter with a woman a year ago and here was the result.

Harlow grew up as a happy, healthy, and loved child. When she was twelve, she was indeed sent of to Camp Half-Blood, but she still sees her father during the summers, and tries to Iris-message him as often as she can.

Favorite Weapon:

Spoiler! :

Magical Item: None?

Up for love: Sure.

Other: She wears a simple amethyst necklace, given to her by her father. It has many properties, mainly to heal, protect, and balance the emotions of the wearer.

Spoiler! :
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:35 pm
ERANBEAR says...

Name: Freddy Jones (still thinkin')
Parents: either Aphrodite
Appearance:
Spoiler! :
Photo on 2013-04-17 at 10.29 #2 - v.01.jpg

5'11''
decently muscular
great smile
Personality: very goofy, flirtatious, covers up pain and sometimes anger with humor, can be witty.
Brief history: born in Nashville, TN, he was raised in the suburbs and then one day a satyr told him about his godly parent. He doesn't know whether his parent is Aphrodite or Apollo, because he has been told many things and was raised by foster parents.
Favorite Weapon: he likes just using his hands, so he has a pair of celestial bronze gauntlets that he uses. He also is well trained with a sword.
Magical Item (if you have one): he has a celestial bronze lacrosse stick that, when tapped on the ground 2 times, turns into a gladius
Up for love: hell yeah!
Other: he is an amazing lacrosse player and hopes to start a team at camp half-blood
Last edited by ERANBEAR on Fri May 03, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They say the world is your oyster; but what if you keep kosher?

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:02 am
veeren says...

save me a son of posiedon, please :D
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:23 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Reserving a daughter of Hades please.

Spoiler! :
ERR MAH GERD, ERANBEAR YOU ARE A LEGEND, you haven't been on in awhile! JOIN WR2
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

5 Reviews

Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:28 am
KeiPie says...

Can I reserve the son of Ares please?

Spoiler! :
Can I act two characters? And if so, can they be from the same god?
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
― Mark Twain

“You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.”
― Ray Bradbury

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:08 am
View Likes
littleauthor says...

Spoiler! :
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUSHHHH C:

Name: Alana Monroe

Parents: Aphrodite - goddess of love and beauty and her father Samuel Monroe

Appearance:
Spoiler! :
Image Alana's hair is wavy towards the top then curls out at the bottom. She has grass colored eyes with tiny blue flecks in them. She is 5'3 and has a toned body figure.

Personality: She is very easy going for a daughter of Aphrodite. She doesn't complain much and loved to have a good laugh. Alana doesn't judge by looks unless you drop dead gorgeous then she will defiantly want to be your friend. She doesn't work to much or to little and loves climbing things and soccer.

Brief history: She lived in the mountains of Georgia with her dad where she learned to climb things. Alana moved to Atlanta city when she was 12 and she hated it. She didn't like the feeling of the city and the never having enough privacy. At school she was always considered beautiful and popular. She was in the top of her class but still didn't like the feeling of the huge school compared to her old small one. When her father told her about her mother, she wasn't surprised. Alana always felt that she was different, and not just because of her looks.

Favorite Weapon:
Spoiler! :
ImageShe carved this soon after coming to the camp.

Magical Item: A flower clip that is always some where in her long hair. Either in her pony tail or holding her hair out of her eyes. If she pushes the middle of the flower it shoots of a high pitched sound that causes people to faint for 15 minutes if their in a 1 mile radius.

Up for love: Yup. She doesn't care what you look like, she likes whats inside. (I know she is a VERY different Aphrodite.)

Other: She is an amazing soccer player, so watch out if you challenge her to match, your butt will defiantly be whipped.
Last edited by littleauthor on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to be WEIRD than boring

Reviews: 0
Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:21 am
Americus says...

daughter of Apollo please

Reviews: 0
Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:02 am
Americus says...

Name: Wakely Anders

Parents: Apollo and the late Angelica Anders

Appearance:Wakely has long wavy auburn hair that she normally puts into a ponytail. she has hazel eyes that often turn blue when she's scared. 5'4. a few freckles

Personality: extroverted and a bit snappy, Wakely has gone through a lot, so she doesn't like to be judged on first glance. she tends to hang around the loud, unpopular kids, but is best friends with almost everyone in the school. she is usually the person who always asks the questions about you, but never opens up herself. like every person with a sense of humor, she loves a good laugh.

Brief history:Wakely was born into a tough life-money was tight and her mother wanted almost nothing to do with her. when she was eight her mother died in a car crash, but Wakely stayed as strong as she could. she is considered the most happy person in her high school, and almost no one knows that she lives in a foster home. for the longest time she has wondered about her dad, until one day, she was going through some of her mother's old stuff and found a note to her. it said that she should go to the address listed, and that she would be safe there. obliging, she wound up at Camp Half-Blood.

Favorite Weapon: Bow and arrow - what did you expect

Magical Item (if you have one): metallic ring that enhances light's brightness wherever she is as long as there is light in her field of vision. often uses as a flashlight.

Up for love:eh... sure.

Other:carries a blue canvas backpack everywhere that's full of quirky knickknacks that she finds

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:09 am
MagmaLlama says...

Could you save a daughter of Hades for me, please?
You can call me a geek,
You can call me a freak,
But if you do,
I'll kick you into next week.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:08 am
MagmaLlama says...

Name: Alice "Ali" Stone

Parents: Hades and Keri Stone

Appearance: Ali has raven black hair that isn't very curly, but not quite straight either. Her skin is extremely pale, and she was teased by her mortal classmates for being a vampire before she came to Camp Half-Blood. she has large, deep violet eyes.

Personality: Ali is quite smart but doesn't like to show it. She plays guitar a bit and has a great singing voice, which not a lot of people hear. Alice plays mean, but she's quite nice if you have the patience to befriend her. She is a great fighter, and loves karate. When she's not busy or practicing her combat skills, it's likely she's reading or writing. Also, she really really REALLY REALLY hates butterflies.

Brief History: Alice's mother, Keri, never told Ali who her father was, always telling her daughter that she'd learn about him on her twelfth birthday. This never happened, though, because Keri died in a car crash when Ali was ten. Ali was taken into foster care by a couple who wouldn't let her see where her mother was buried, but ran away on her eleventh birthday to find her mother's grave. A few weeks later, and Ali was cold and tired, alone on the streets, when a satyr in disguise found her and took her to Half-Blood Hill.

Fave Weapon(s): Two long, silver curved knives with black and purple handles, to which she gives the names Jack and Jill.

Magical Item: none

Up for love: Sure

Other: wears a flat, featureless silver disc around her neck, and she goes slightly mad if you take it away for long. Will soon turn fourteen.
You can call me a geek,
You can call me a freak,
But if you do,
I'll kick you into next week.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:01 pm
KingLucifer says...

Name: Gemini "Gem" Randa

Parents: Zeus and Sharon Randa

Appearance:A short girl like most, fine toned arms and legs blackish blue eyes, short dirty blond hair that goes down to her shoulders. During cooled winter days she tends to have on light dark jeans and a white t-shirt and black North Face jacket. During the hot summer months, she tends to wear light stuff, a dark blue summer jacket, with capri's and a dark yellow t-shirt. And finally a sheath on her back that holds her signature weapon, the Blade of Exile.

Personality: Calm and strong, she has a powerful confidence about her, egotistical even, liking to call herself "The most powerful demigod alive." her father's leadership skills passed on shes able to lead anyone into battle. All though she is a claustrophobic, doesn't like tight spaces and doesn't like people who believe they can push her around. Her power and skill in battle, are nearly unmatched due to long periods of training at a time, she has anger issues when her confidence is jostled, and will quickly resort to violence if she feels she has to.

Brief history: Gemini had lived a peaceful life for the most part, it wasn't until her toddler years that things didn't seem quiet so peaceful. Zeus her father made an attempt on her life by striking her down with lightning, but Gemini survived somehow, from there after she continued her life peacefully unaware that someone had tried to kill her. It was until she turned twelve everything about Gemini seemed to excel, she was strong without training, smart without studying. She developed unlike any normal pre-teen.

Gemini when she was thirteen received an electric shock after trying to jump a military fence that was on, Gemini shouldn't have survived. But she did, this awaken her powers over lightning and electricity. When electricity surged around here it was pure black, no blue to be found. With her new found powers Gemini took out her wrath on her school, taking revenge for all the bullying she had because she was strong and smart. She did away with all those who had tortured her throughout her life at her school.

A full week after gaining her abilities , she was pleased with herself, her life was turning around for something better. But she was wrong, terribly wrong. Just as she opened the door to her home, her house blew up suddenly the thunder overhead had come down and struck and destroyed her home. Her mother, stepfather, brother and sister were all killed at once. Gemini had survived being blown away so she couldn't be killed, she had slowly pieced it together. Gemini was a demigod, the daughter of Zeus.

Soon afterwords, Gemini was lead by a vision of her mother, she was lead all the way to Camp Half Blood, insecure, and not entirely sure what to do. Gemini followed the vision of her mother, she was eventually brought to Half Blood Hill and, the start of her training with Chiron. A full year passed and Gemini learned what she is destined to do, hidden by Chiron and kept away from the rest of the camp. Gemini trained under his watchful eye, but eventually decided to leave the camp and go back out into the world.

Four years later, Gemini is fast approaching Camp Half Blood and will soon arrive, her mysterious appearance seems to have unsettled Chiron and Mr.D and has gotten the attention of all the camp.

Favorite Weapon: A bronze great sword that is known as Blade of the Juggernauts, outside of Camp Half Blood, it is clocked to make it look like nothing is there. Inside the camp, the blade shows to be easily handled with just one hand by Gemini and makes her a powerful foe in battle.

Magical Item (if you have one): Two rings, both made with the cooperation of Follower of Hecate, and a Son of Hephaestus, the first is made to dispel the powerful aura around her, and the second absorbs any black electrical overlords Gemini has.

Up for love: She's been spoken for by someone else, so no.

Other: Gemini's lightning is special and unqice from regular lightning, it can not be used by other children of Zeus and will hurt them if they attempt to use it. Also theme: From Heads Unworthy by Rise Against
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:44 pm
Noelle says...

Spoiler! :
I was waiting a little while to see what cabins were filling up before posting my characters. If it looks like we're running low on certain cabins I'll post another character.

Name: Marxus Corduas

Parents: Hephaestus and Mary Corduas

Appearance: He's a short kid, standing around 5'3". His hair is a messy brown and is never neat (think Harry Potter hair). Eyes are the color of fire. On any day you can find him in a black t-shirt and army print cargo pants. It's as if he only has those two articles of clothing in his closet.

Personality: Being a kid of Hephaestus, Marxus likes to spend most of his time alone working in a workshop. But when he does come out and socialize with other kids, he's friendly and fits in well. Once you get to know him, he'll open up and be more willing to talk.

Brief history: Came to Camp Half-Blood the day he turned twelve. A satyr named Gideon retrieved him from his private school in Colorado and took him cross country to get to Camp Half-Blood. He was eager to leave the house and his over protective mother. He never knew who his father was and he never really pressed the subject.

Favorite Weapon: a xiphos sword that he made when he was six years old. A xyphos sword is a double edged, single hand sword. Many used these swords back in Ancient Greece.
Spoiler! :
xiphos_recreation1.jpg

Magical Item (if you have one): none

Up for love: Definitely. I think having a girlfriend would do Marxus some good. You know, get him out of the workshop and all that.

Other: Gets recurring dreams that his mother is in trouble back home. He ignores them, but they get worse as the nights go on. He's still trying to figure out what they mean and if she's really in trouble.
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

5 Reviews

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:43 pm
KeiPie says...

Alex Mullins

Parents: Ares and Rebecca Mullins

Appearance:
He has dark brown hair and blue-grey eyes. He is tall and strong, but not stocky.
Spoiler! :

Personality: Alex is an extreme flirt but can sometimes get angry and offended. He is impulsive but witty. If you get to know him and get on his good side then you have a protector for life... unless you make him mad :D

Brief History: Alex grew up as an orphan after his father abandoned him and his mother died in a car accident. He grew up with his great aunt and uncle. He was mostly left alone and he was tutored instead of sent to school. And for this reason he is not so great with people and also why he has few friends. His great uncle passed away when he was fifteen leaving Alex as the provider for his great aunt. He hated having to take care of her and eventually asked a neighbor to care for her while he went to seek his fortune. One day his father went to find him and sent Alex to the camp against Alex's wishes. (Sorry, I'm not super familiar with the the story, just saw the movie)

Favorite Weapon: sword
Magical Item: (not sure, suggestions?)
Up For Love: Yes but only if the girl can win his friendship.

Tell me if I did anything wrong. I was in another camp Half-blood SB a couple years ago, but don't really remember it :P
Last edited by KeiPie on Thu May 09, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
― Mark Twain

“You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.”
― Ray Bradbury

Stories don't end because you stopped paying attention.
— SJ Whitby