Young Writers Society

Wonderland Rift 2 (closed/started)

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:23 pm
View Likes
methrirr123 says...

Erillian Blackguard. Spider King.

The respect that Erillian felt for this man Brae could only possibly grow after what he said. He was selfless, and trustworthy. Erillian only hoped that the same could be said for himself. He was no longer neutral, but on everyone's side actively, even that of Regina. However, he couldn't help but smile at the last thing that Brae had said.

"Deals? What deals would you be making with me?" Erillian said.

"You could help us. We need the kind of information you can provide." he said.

"Us? We?" Erillian said. This reminded him of a conversation he had had just yesterday. Reggy... They are oddly similar.

"Yes." Brae confirmed strongly. "Us. We. What kind of information can you provide."

Erillian grinned again, and laughed aloud. "Do you doubt me? Brae, I can get you all of the information."

"Your spies are truly everywhere? Well, I suppose that's why they call you 'Spider King'."

"Be that as it may, YOU still call me 'Erillian'. I believe we've been over my love of titles." Erillian said. Brae smiled.

"Yes. So about that information..."

"Yeah yeah, got it right here." Erillian said, standing up off of his stump. "So far there seems to be a storm of assassins everywhere. You are not the only ones planning Lordshires death. He's on a lot of hitlists, including that of Yamani. Also, Yamani is distraught. She was taken and tortured by Reggy. Regina, I mean." It was an honest slip of the tongue, at which Brae raised his eye. "It's the name my spiders tell me most often." Erillian lied quickly.

"Is it now?" Brae said, fingering his medallion.

"No." Erillian said, shrugging. "We were actually friends once. Since then, however, she's changed."

Brae seemed taken aback. He obviously hadn't expected the truth. He dropped the medallion against his chest. "Well, ok. I assume this affects your allegiances?"

"Yes and no. I don't fully approve of the deaths of either Lordshire or Regina." he said. "In fact, I'd go so far as to say that I'll make sure that no permanent harm befalls either of them, especially Regina."

"I see," Brae said. He seemed to be contemplating something of importance. "Thank you again for you services." He said, tentatively holding out his hand. He seemed unsure. All caution thrown to the wind Erillian took it immediately.

"Any time." he said. "And rest assured that it is, as of now, my main priority to keep people from dying. If I can, I will try and stop a civil war from erupting."

Brae once again was looking at him almost with disbelief. But Erillian trusted Brae.

"Haigha also is heartbroken." Erillian remembered, letting go of Braes hand. "Yamani has evicted him. If you can gain his allegiance, and I can change Yamani's mind, you may be able to help me out."

"With what?" Brae inquired.

"Saving this thrice damned city from all out war." Erillian said. Inwardly, he thought about how impossibly difficult it would be to convince Yamani about Haigha. But he knew what had happened. He knew that Regina had meddled with her mind. It hurt Erillian to think of it. It was a sick thing to do. Erillian nodded again to Brae. "I'll keep you posted. If ever you should need me, leave a note in a spider web."

"What if I can't find one?" he asked, finding a weak smile.

"I'll make sure there's a spiderweb near by. Don't walk to abruptly through doorways, in case I feel mischievous. You should see what I did to poor Yamani. She actually set fire to her HQ. Granted I feel like a total d*ck now, but It was funny in my head." Erillian smiled again.

"Thank you again, Spider Ki--er, Erillian." Brae said.

"Thank you, Brae." Erillian said. And he turned and left into the woods. He figured he could get some hunting done in the deeper woods.

Spoiler! :
PAGE 5.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:24 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Yamani-Queen of Hearts

I sank to my knees, holding my stomach, tears streaming down my face. I didn't care any more. I didn't care about being strong. I didn't care about presenting a strong figure for my men to follow. I didn't care about the throne-- I just wished Lordshire's hag would've finished me off.

Someone tripped over me. I didn't even bother to snarl at them. “I- Yamani? What are you doing out of bed?”

It was Minerva.

"I'm the Queen. I can do anything I want." I snarled, rubbing at my nose roughly, sniffing.

"Oh yes." I could practically hear Minerva rolling her eyes as she grabbed my arm and helped me to my feet. "Come on now, let's get you to bed."

I turned towards, her outline blurry past the tears in my eyes. She looked a bit concerned. "Are you alright?"

"Y-y-NO!" I wailed, pulling away from her.

"Mani...what's the matter?"

"N-nothing...Everything!" I sobbed, clawing at my face, wishing the tears would stop. "That bloody bastard stole my throne, and his bitch wife cut me to pieces after that bastard spiderboy tricked me, and I'm hiding out here like a f*cking fugitive, and I have people hunting me, and spying on me day and night. And the only f*cking person I trusted turns out to be a power-hungry f*cking douche bag b*stard. And my stomach hurts. And my side hurts. And my throat hurts. And I'm so f*cking tired."

She stared at me for a long moment.

"What? You going to turn on me too? You want stick a knife in me? Go ahead." I straightened, revealing a good target of my chest. "Just don't stick it in my f*cking back."

She blinked.

"And make damn sure you aim better than everyone else's. If you've ever cared for me at all-- make sure your blade hits something important."

"Mani, honestly now." She chided gently, wrapping her arm around my shoulders and guiding me towards my room. "It's rather insulting you'd think that of me."

"We can't go there." I snarled, brushing her statement aside. "It's full of f*cking spiderwebs."

"Ashes." A recruit corrected resentfully, as he walked past me.

"Spider ashes." I muttered.

"Fine, we'll go to the spare room then..." Minerva cooed. "Just calm down. It'll be okay."

"It won't be." I sniffed, too weak to scream anymore.

"Yes it will. Just go to sleep." She pushed me into a bed gently, and pulled the covers over me.

"No."

"Yes." She pressed a rag over my mouth and nose, and I fell back onto the bed, unconscious.
~~

I felt the bed beside me groggily, never opening my eyes. "Haigha?"

I reached slightly further, and gasped as a pang ran up my side. I grabbed my side, my eyes snapping open as I whimpered. I glanced around the room-- it wasn't mine. I tried to push myself up, but my entire body ached and trembled, so I fell back onto the bed-- suddenly exhausted.

I remembered everything. I was disgusted with myself for wanting Haigha, so soon after I woke up. He did make you weak.

I rubbed my face and, carefully, rolled out of bed. I peeked my head out the door, checking that the coast was clear, and then snuck towards my room. I tip-toed over the charred webs, making a note to snarl at people until they dealt with them, and got a tunic, trousers, and towel.

I, carefully, navigated my way through the caves-- nearly getting caught several times-- until I got to the shallow place in the creek I always bathed in. I shrugged Haigha's cloak off, and stiffly tried to squirm out of thin undershirt the witch had left me with.

"F*ck it." I grabbed my dagger and cut the clothes off. I slowly lowered myself into the pool and, gradually, scrubbed my body clean-- moving slowly, gingerly moving across my body.

Nearly an hour later I limped from the pool, favoring my left leg, and got dressed.I dried my hair and combed it down with my fingers, then shook my head, settling it.

"There you are."

I stopped, my back towards her voice. "Here I am."

She sighed. "Mani, you should really be in bed."

I frowned and turned around. "I'm not tired." I lied.

"Mm...You look tired."

"Don't lie." I stretched. "I look like shit, and you know it."

"Well...yes." She agreed. "Though I wasn't going to say it."

I grunted.

"But you should be in bed." She ushered me to the spare room. When I was safely tucked back in bed, she sat down in a chair beside me and stared at me a long moment.

"What?" I asked.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:14 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Spoiler! :
This is actually just the first part of the long post I wanted to make, but since I don't have enough time to make the rest, I'm just gonna post it. Please remember that this is in the past, and it's a day behind everyone else's. I wanted to continue it but I will not be able to today, maybe in the next few days. I am not as fast a writer as some of you.

LH, just some tips on when we fight: I will be going insane by that point and make sure you show it some when we fight. My character does not cuss. And make sure that you win the fight and kidnap me or something along those lines, I want you to torture me before we actually join teams.

Mercury Sevun Riuz

The way back was a short one, filled with a lot of misconceptions. Who was that guy who killed one of my soldiers and nearly beheaded the other, while still managing to take me on with clear brute force?

I entered the palace silently, without anyone seeing me. I knew that the rest of my team would be doing what was needed of them, making the evidence disappear. They were always doing that, cleaning up after my messes.

They knew, though. They knew that I work for Lordshire, and thus had to report the mission a success. Otherwise, I would've helped them. Helped them get rid of the evidence, go tell Sharleene and Martha the bad news, tell their children that their dad's weren't going to be home for awhile...

No, get ahold of yourself, Mercury! I forced those thoughts out of my head as I reached my small, out-of-the-way room that was assigned to me. Personally, I didn't need it, I wasn't there most of the time anyway, but Lordshire wanted to give me a second home in case "anything happens to your first." I've always wondered if that was a threat, to this day. It wouldn't matter much, there's not much in there.

A small messenger boy was pacing the room, talking to himself furiously. "What are you doing in here?" I asked silently, although my fierceness still startling him.

"Nothing, sir, n-nothing." He bowed twice. "Sir, Lordy-L-Lordshire requested you." What did he just call him? Lordy? "Thank you. You may leave." He nodded, acting like a huge weight had been lifted off from him. How long had he been in here, muttering and pacing, waiting for me?

"Boy." He turned, his expression instantaniously turning into deep fear. "How long were you in there?"

"Thirty minutes, s-sir." I could see beads of sweat forming on his white face.

"Tell your master that you're not in trouble, and if he says anything, tell him that I said that. If he doesn't believe you, you know where to find me, and so does he." The boy smiled, and ran off. At least I was able to give some kind of hope to the kid-- THEY ALL MUST DIE. I grabbed my heasd as the back of my mind sent shockwaves of crippling pain throughout my body. My vision starting becoming cluttered with black smudges, clouding my vision as I felt myself fall to the ground. DO TO THEM WHAT YOU DID TO YOURSELF! WHAT YOU DID TO YOUR WIFE! I closed my eyes, trying to subside the pain.

My pain subsided instantly, and I felt myself shift, like the ground beneath my feet was just a carpet, bending to the smallest of movements. I saw something out of the corner of my eye. My right eye. I turned to see what it was.

It showed the boy who gave me the message, running back in to his master. His master, a portly man who apparently liked bossing around little boys, turned around and smacked the boy, sending him to the ground. I saw his mouth move, but could see nothing. The man then pulled him up and slit his throat, letting the warm liquid run down the boy's small neck, it's crimson like a dark sheet against the white light that was the boy's skin. The man let the blood run down the blade and onto his pale, round fingers. He looked at it for a second, then lifted the blade to his mouth and let the blood run down his thro--

The vision ended, but I still saw it, embedded within my mind. I ran my fingers around the black mass that used to be my right eye and pulled it back, blood on my fingers. My scars had opened up again.

I quickly subsided the bleeding and wiped up the mess. Funny, I actually cleaned up one of my messes instead of my team doing it for me.

I found my way to Lordshire's throne room easily enough, not even thinking about where I was going or who saw me anymore. I tried to keep my face straight to hide my emotions and hopefully keep them from bursting out. Now would be the worst time to.

Lordshire was sitting in a small chair instead of usually on his throne. He had his cane across his legs, his hands gently wrapped around the top, like he was actually using it. He turned to me as I entered the room. It seemed that his mind was on different things, but it distracted him from seeing what was truly happenening in my head. "Full report please, don't leave any details out." Him and his punctual self.

I told him everything. Most would leave out the deaths, I even might've, if I wasn't in the state of mind that I was right now.

His jaw clenched. "You let him get away?" This was about the soldier, supposedly Haigha, that I let go.

"He was a better soldier than we thought. He'd escaped before we realized he was gone." This was bending the truth, but I needed to get out of here as fast as I--YOU SHOULD'VE KILLED HIM. My mind start pounding again, but I tried to not reveal anything to him. I could feel sweat pouring down my face.

"One of my best soldiers, still underestimating his opponents?" I forced my hands to stay behind my back as my pain doubled. I wanted to collapse, to cover my head with my hands to try and stop the tremors. But I kept my posture even, all of my mind was focused on trying to end this conversation.

"He wasn't our focus. Your orders were to capture the Red Queen and we did just that." My fists clenched and unclenched, my fingers twitching with each and every tremor.

"Fair enough." FAIR ENOUGH? FAIR ENOU- I did a small nod and tried to keep my face from betraying any information.

"If that's all, sir, I'll be on my way." I wanted to scream. No, my mind wanted to scream, wanted to explode. "It is. Until next time," He turned away, but turned again, "I do hope you remembered those files."

I stared at him, trying not to show anything to him. He, of all people, knew me the longest, longer than anyone, yet he knew nothing about me. All he thought of me was that I was just a soldier, nothing more. HE WAS WRONG, AND HE STILL IS, AND HE WILL ALWAYS BE WRON--

I pushed those thoughts out of my heas as I walked away. Time to find those files. As I walked away, a single tear escaped my single eye.

I had not cried for more than a decade, and it felt different. It felt . . . strange. It felt . . . reassuring.

This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:43 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

~Regina

His touch on my shoulder surprised me - I didn't even know he was that close. How mad are you? I wondered. He was never really mad, not at me at least - I knew how he hated the Queens and I knew he never felt that way about me - but on the other hand, I've never said as much as I did now, either.

"Reggy," he said, almost carefully. I didn't want to turn. If I did, I was sure, I would've either cried, apologised or said something both of us would regret later. So I just let him talk. "As much as you won't like it, I'm going to do stupid things."I blinked. Why are you telling me that? It wasn't like him. "I'm going to get myself into trouble. I might even end up getting myself killed for this country." I opened my mouth to protest. What was he thinking? What didn't he get? "But I won't do anything without thinking about you first, both of you." His hand slid off my shoulder. "I still remember the first time I met you."

What? I turned to him, searching his face for clues - first time? Do you really? He smiled. "I needed a Queen, and I was in the mood for a drink." Oh, so that first time. "You were the only one at the bar filled my aesthetic requirements, and frankly, that's all I really cared about then. I wanted a figure head, not a wife. It never crossed my mind that almost five years later, they'd be someone I genuinely cared for."

He turned, leaving again, and this time I didn't stop him - he said more and more emotional things he ever before did, and I knew that making him discuss it would only get us both mad once more. "I have a lot to thank you for, Reggy. You helped me in more ways than I care to count. I might be disappointed in myself if I did, you know? You saved me, Reggy. No one cared about me before. There was no one to put a leash on me, no one who cared whether I got bed safely. Without you, I would've been gone a long time ago, and I never did thank you for that, did I? Never told you I love you for it, either."

I just stood there as he reached the door, not sure what to say or do. We never talked like that before - or at least he never did. Never told you I love you for it, I thought to myself.

"I'll be in your room," I muttered, only half even aware of my own words.

Something told me he wasn't going to go and stay calm somewhere in his room - and I didn't feel like staying in mine either - but closing his door behind me and turning at the room, I suddenly felt lost. I sat at the edge of the bed, staring blankly at the wall, wondering why am I feeling like that. It was the plan all along, was it not? To come to the castle, to get influential enough, to get enough power over all the royal affairs - and to have the king fall in love with me so I could do whatever I want. I'd learned long enough ago how much men are ready to do for a woman if they care about her enough, and for years have I known exactly how to make them care. Erillian did, didn't he? We used to be friends when we were younger, yes, but even after he saw I've changed, even though I was married for his enemy, he still didn't even think of hurting me.

With a sigh, I lied back, staring up at myself in the mirror.
Whom are you lying to, Regina? You didn't manipulate Erillian to care for you, there in the dungeons. You said exactly what was on your mind. I got up again, figuring I can't stand staring at myself like that. What have I done? It wasn't the way I planned, nothing was.

When I found out I was pregnant, I felt strangely powerful - there was another weapon, another way to get the king do what I wanted him to do, something making me closer to that throne. But then time passed, and I found myself imagining what it would look like, thinking of names, picturing playing games and spending time with the baby, and I barely thought of power and throne in months.

"Baby changes you," my mother once told me, "you will find once - it makes you care about the future that's best for it and not for you, and if you have the luck of it having the father who loves you and whom you love, what more is there to wish?"

"If only," I muttered to myself, opening the wardrobe as I decided to follow my doctor's advice.

The baby - for some reason, I grew fond of addressing it as him - indeed has changed me, but I didn't really expect it to be so drastic. I cried more in last few days than in last ten years combined, I lost control and I spoke out my feelings way too often, and instead of having Lordie manipulated, I managed to get myself caring about him at least as much as he did about me.

Fires were burning in my dreams.
My body hurt and I couldn't help but scream, as shadows from the deepest part of the dungeons crept slowly towards me, reaching to take me with them.

Then the chains suddenly broke, making me fall to the ground - as I looked up, I was in the throne room, and Lordie was glaring down at me. His crown seemed bigger than usual, shadows and dark hair hiding his eyes, and silver hand of a dagger stuck from his chest. I wanted to cry - but I found it impossible. As I moved to get up, a figure appeared from the shadows.

His hair was black as night, matching the clothes, and his skin seemed almost white. Eyes under golden crown shined green - but apart from that detail, he couldn't have looked more like his father. He approached the throne lazily, observing the blade of the dagger as he took it out, while the blood was still dripping off the edges.
I didn't have the strength to get up - and as he looked down, his lips curled into a thin smile. Such a familiar thin smile.

"Why such fear, dear mother? Who did you think I'd grow up to be like?"

I sat up with a start, as something in the room broke. What the HELL was that dream? I frowned as I spotted Lordie standing in the middle of the messy room and glaring at the table. Then he frowned too, and left the room before I managed to say a word. The f***?

I got out of the bed, still wearing one of his shirts - with L.L. embroidered on left side of the chest - and entered the hallway, small smile playing on my lips. Is he drunk?

I found him leaning against a wall and giggling.
"Oh Spidey, just remember, you started it."

A jester and the guard - Mackzies, was it? - stood next to each other and eyed me with puzzled looks. Do watch, you won't get to see me in big shirt and with my hair falling loosely on my chest like that.

"Lord," I snapped, and he looked at me with a grin, "what are you-" my glance fell beside him - on the bodies of two guards, and my smile froze. "Inside," I ordered, more or less pushing him in the room. "Now. You." I eyed the jester, going through his memories to make sure he's not an enemy. "Inside with him, and don't let him do anything stupid..don't let him do anything. And you." I turned to the guard, who seemed to turn a bit paler as he met my eyes. "I hold you personally responsible. Guard the door. If anything happens to him, I'll kill you."

With that, I turned from him and, walking round the corner, almost bumped into another guard.
"Your highness. Are you-"

"Find my doctor," I cut. "Bring her here, so she checks the guards. I don't think they're dead."

He stood there, glaring at me. Like I'll ever get out of my dresses again after this. "Go. Now."

I found the "note" in Erillian's cell and just glared at it for a moment, not sure if I'd rather laugh or get really angry. I knew he didn't kill the guards, I knew he wasn't around anymore - but did he have to do it that way and make me so worried? If he'd asked me, I'd have actually let him go myself and showed him out through the passages guards barely even knew about.

I sighed, leaving the dungeons again. What if he sent his spiders to do something to Lordie? I froze in the middle of a step as it crossed my mind. Would he do it? He said he wanted to get rid of bad kings, but he also said he didn't want to interfere, and that he didn't want to hurt me and the baby. It would hurt us. He had to know that, didn't he?
Opening the door of my room, I twitched as I heard soft knocking. The secret door, I thought to myself, and smiled. Ny was back. My most trusted assassin, the one I can send to do everything - things were finally getting better.

I let him in, and his brow furrowed at the way I looked.

"It's a busy night," I muttered. Meeting his eyes, I smiled a wide smile. "Welcome back. Has the mission been successful?"

He bowed a little.
"Indeed it has. I've found out all you needed me to. Is everything alright in the castle?"

I hesitated before nodding, wondering if he knew already.
"The two Queens are alive," I said. "Yamani Marble was in my dungeons, and is now set free - I don't know where her sister is.. Have you rested? Eaten anything?"

He frowned at the change of subject, and slowly shook his head. I moved to my table, went through my things and got the note I wrote for him earlier, then putting it in a book before turning back and handing it to him.

"Go to the kitchens, tell them to prepare you whatever. I would let you rest more and I do need to hear of how your mission went, but now there are more pressing concerns, I'm afraid."

"And the book..?"

"It's a good book," I grinned. "There's something very interesting inside, and something I'm sure you will understand better than anyone."

A few words and a few smiles later, he was gone, silently as a shadow and probably not even noticed by anyone. I kept the smile on my face - I missed him while he was gone, and I knew I'd miss him again..but finding that husband of White Queen, and watching over Yamani's army, that was more important than me having company in the castle.

As I got back to Lordie's room, the young guard sighed with relief. The bodies were gone - my doctor must have got them moved to some more suitable place - and I carefully entered the room, wondering what I'd find inside.

I found Lordie talking to a cat.

At first, I wasn't sure what I was looking at - then I wasn't sure if I should laugh or scream at it. The jester looked at me with a strange face, and I answered with a burning glare.

"How did that get in?"

The cat and Lordie looked at me at the same time, latter getting up from the chair he was sitting on and hugged me tightly before I managed to say a word. Then he let me go before I hugged him back, and wandered to the bed, sitting there with a somewhat blank expression and a smile.

I turned my head to the res of the room, finding the cat floating in the air and staring at me from a few centimeters away. I practically jumped back.

"Who the hell are you?"

"His lordiness didn't introduce me?" She. It was a she, talking and sounding offended. Have I even woke up from that dream? I frowned and shook my head, glaring at Lordie.

"She's my pe-- friend. Miss Kitt'share," he muttered. The cat blinked at him.

"My name," she said, "is Miss Tabitha Marxill Kitshire." The f***? "You however can call me the Queen of Cats."

I just stared at her, and then turned to Mackzies, who came in after me and was probably the only other sensible person in the room.
"Erillian the Spider King has-"

"Ooooh spider. I love spiders. And you say he's a king of them?"

I closed my eyes for a moment, not even turning and bothering to say anything to that strange cat. I wanted to be alone with Lordie - like him being drunk wasn't enough - and now I had a jester I've never seen before, a young soldier with no privacy awareness and a freaking giant cat with a blinding grin, who seemed to be a friend of my husband. And he dares to blame me for being friends with Erillian.

"He escaped the dungeons," I said. "It was him who knocked over the guards, but I'm sure they will live." I looked at the jester again. "Take him somewhere else."

"He came from the tavern, your highness - brought the King back, that is. Should I escort him to a room or to the dun-"

"Somewhere else," I repeated. "Anywhere, I don't care."

The guard nodded, seeming frightened, as I felt my headache rising. I just wanted to sleep properly already. And either change or burry myself under all the blankets of the world.
"What shall we do about the prisoner who escaped?"

I eyed him. We?
"Leave it to me for now," I said. "There's no need to send anyone yet to-"

"I will find him," The Queen of Cats interrupted, appearing as nothing but a big grin in the air next to me. The guard jumped of surprise, and I found myself wishing I carried a gun around. The cat appeared again. "Call it a favour to his lordliness. I do love spiders."

"Fine," I snapped. Just get out of my sight. I can't deal with you now, go bother Erillian.
"Do try to find him. Actually, don't come back till you do."

She disappeared without another word, and I glared at the guard until he took the jester out and closed the door behind them. Just then, I closed my eyes and sighed, running my fingers through my hair.

"So controlling." I opened my eyes and turned, to find Lordie in a one-way conversation with his diamond head. "Isn't she?" I stared at him blankly. Seriously?

"Come on," I said, approaching him and putting the cane aside. He followed it with the look a child could have when his favourite toy gets taken away. Then I put my hands on his shoulders, and he looked up to meet my eyes. I didn't forget what happened before - but I couldn't stay mad at him, could I? He wouldn't respond properly now anyway. "Time to go to bed."

"Why?"

"Because," I said, wondering if parenting would be anything like that. "It's late. I'm tired. You're drunk. Go to bed."

"It's late," he repeated. "You're gorgeous. I'm the king. Let's talk some more."

He put his hand over my belly, and I wondered if he realized I'm wearing his shirt.

"What about?" I asked. He poked me a little.

"There's a baby inside," he noticed. I suppressed a grin.

"Yes, yes there is."

He jumped off and I laughed as the kid kicked back on his poking. He eyed me with something close to suspicion.
"It moved."

"Yes," I repeated. Can we please just sleep now? I'm too tired to even yell at you for getting drunk like that. "it's a baby. It's alive. Moving is good."

"Hm." He sat still as I unbuttoned and took off everything but his shirt and pants. He caughtmy hand as I tried to move back. "You should always look like this." Like what, blurry? He looked away. "I meant everything I said."

I was surprised to hear he even remembered it. I couldn't have stopped thinking about it, yes - but he had drinks and that cat and whatnot to ease his mind, and I had a dream of him being killed by our son, and that didn't help a bit to lighten my mood.

"Good," I said slowly, pushing him down to bed as he showed no desire to go to sleep himself. He was honest - unusually so - and obviously in the mood for talking about emotional issues. I bit my lip, wondering if I should stop myself before taking advantage of that. Would he stop himself, if it was the other way around? I grinned.

"Are you stil mad?"

"I was never mad," he confessed, as I covered him in sheets and sat next to his head. "I was..concerned. And surprised, I think." He frowned a little and met my eyes again. "And worried."

"Worried," I repeated, looking through his memories. It wasn't a plan, I realised, figuring I can barely find a memory of that day in the castle ten years ago. It made me breathe more easily again. "Worried about me betraying you?"

He shook his head.
"Betraying, leaving.. I trust you. I do. You're different, you wouldn't do that."

I smiled a little to myself, playing with a strand of his hair.

"What if I did?" I asked quietly. I wanted it to be the truth, I wanted him to trust me and I wanted to be different - and I would never betray him, not anymore. But I needed to know, I needed to ask. "What if I did to you what you did to Queen of Hearts? What if I turned against you and took the throne, and exiled you so you never see me, your kingdom nor your son or daughter again?"

He stayed silent for a long time. So long, that I found it interesting to observe the candle burning down, as I started hearing the first morning birds outside. When he spoke again, his voice was barely louder than a whisper.

"I'd kill myself," he said.

I froze. That wasn't what I expected. I thought he'd say he'd fight, he'd find a way to defeat me, to turn my guards against me, to get assassins in the castle. That he'd align with Yamani or Miranda and take me to my own dungeons, and make sure to find the child a better mother than I could ever be - anything, anything but what he replied.

I forced my voice to stay calm.
"Wouldn't you want back your throne?"

"What for," he muttered, "if you'd not be by my side?"

I didn't need to look in his mind to know he really meant every word. When I asked about leaving before, I didn't really care of the answer. But now..now.. He would pick me over the throne. Me, a random woman he found attractive enough, after the throne and the title he worked for for years and deserved more than those claiming the right to have them.
Bending down, I leaned my forehead on his. I was colder than him - I often was colder than everyone - and he closed his eyes as I did that.

"I am on your side," I said. "You can - have to - trust me, and I will never leave, and we will never lose. The throne is ours, and so it will stay, for our heir and our heir's heir - and those b****y princesses will never deserve it. I won't leave, and I won't let you leave, and I will never make you choose." I shifted, lying down next to him. "Don't you ever forget that."
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:01 am
View Likes
veeren says...

Lord 'Lordie' Lordshire (Knave of Hearts) - King of Wonderland

"So controlling," I looked into my glass reflection, "Isn't she?"

"Come on," She said, my head suddenly floating away, leaving the rest of my body behind, "Time to go to bed."

I blinked, "Why?"

"Because, it's late. I'm tired. You're drunk. Go to bed."

"It's late, you're gorgeous. I'm the king. Let's talk some more."

I reached for the little one.

"What about?" She asked, as I poked her tummy.

"There's a baby inside."

"Yes, yes there is."

I felt it touch me. Maybe he's trying to kill me too. "It moved."

"Yes," she repeated, "it's a baby. It's alive. Moving is good."

"Hm." You seem tired. "You should always look like this." I felt naked. "I meant everything I said."

"Good," She pushed me and I was staring at the ceiling. I don't remember a picture of me being up there. I like it. I like it Reggy. We need more of those.

"Are you still mad?" She asked.

"I was never mad," I blinked up at my picture as it moved with me, "I was..concerned. And surprised, I think." I frowned, "And worried."

"Worried," She looked at me and I felt funny, "Worried about me betraying you?"

Oh, it's a mirror silly. "Betraying, leaving.. I trust you. I do. You're different, you wouldn't do that."

Something tickled my head.

"What if I did?" She asked, "What if I did to you what you did to Queen of Hearts? What if I turned against you and took the throne, and exiled you so you never see me, your kingdom nor your son or daughter again?"

That's a good question. I thought back to a time with my parents. Hi mom, hi dad. Sorry I don't remember you guys as much as I should. I thought back to when I was a tiny Lordie, back when I still had my mother picking out my clothing for me. Mommy, you always made me put me in those stupid pants. Daddy would just laugh at me. I thought back to that night we were having dinner. I asked you, mommy, why you loved daddy. I asked you what you would do if he left you. I thought back to look on her face, and the comforting smile of my father. You told me that daddy was everything to you. He was the water to your ocean, the king to your queen, the peanut to your butter. I though back to when the tears started falling from your eyes, to when they took father away. I remember seeing you on the floor, mommy. I saw the blood everywhere, and the knife in your chest. I thought back to the screaming, the day you left me with...

"I'd kill myself," I said. You didn't answer me then, but I understand now.

She looked at me funny, "Wouldn't you want back your throne?"

"What for, if you'd not be by my side?" You're the peanut to my butter.

I felt cold, on my temple. Was I getting sick? Oh, Reggy's touching me. Maybe she's sick.

"I am on your side," She said, "You can - have to - trust me, and I will never leave, and we will never lose. The throne is ours, and so it will stay, for our heir and our heir's heir - and those b****y princesses will never deserve it. I won't leave, and I won't let you leave, and I will never make you choose," She settled down next to me. "Don't you ever forget that."

Aw, that's nice. "Goodnight, peanut... butter."

I shot up from bed, quickly grabbing my head to stop the throbbing.

"Ooow. Ow, ow, ow." I rubbed the sides of my forehead.

Reggy stirred next to me, "You're awake."

"And dreading it already," I looked around the room at all the tumbled furniture, "What happened in here?"

She smiled, "Oh, you don't remember?"

"I don't think I want to. Was I dr-" My eyes fell on the checkerboard, "Where's Erillian?"

"Don't worry, I took care of him."

I raised an eyebrow, "Oh did you?"

"I sent your cat friend."

"My wha-" Oh, Kitshire, "You... you sent the cat."

"She offered." She was still smiling.

"And, you really think- Nevermind, I'm going to see what to do about this Spider King myself." I got up and stumbled, not realizing how dizzy I was.

"I really think you should rest a bit more."

"I've been through worse," I said, putting on my blazer and my shoes, "This is nothing." I nearly ran into the wall trying to pick up my cane.

"No, you need sleep." She sounded mad.

"Listen, I can handle a little heada-" My stomach grumbled and I suddenly fell sick. I grabbed my mouth and ran into the bathroom, releasing the remains of last nights fun time.

"Little headache?" Reggy called from the other room.

I started to sweat, "Fine. Just, just give me a minute."

After spilling my internal fluids for about an hour, I guessed I was ready to do some King-like activities, like taking care of all the baby's presents. I sat at the table next to Reggy, signing all the Thank You cards I'd promised everyone. After about a hundred, I was ready to call it quits, even though Reggy seemed more than delighted to do them all for me.

"Why can't we just get someone to sign them for us? Not like they'd know the difference anyway." I asked.

"That wouldn't be fair. Besides, I didn't tell you to promise them all thank you cards." Reggy said.

"Yeah, whatever. I'm gonna go get something to drink."

She glared at me.

"From the kitchen, relax. Jensen, want to come along?" I looked at the guard.

"Alright, sir." He said, trailing behind me.

I stepped into the wonderful scent of bread, cakes, and whisky. Wait, that wasn't right. I looked at all the gifts that had been sent to the kitchen, only the wonderfully packaged bottle of alcohol sticking out to me. I picked it up and examined the labeling.

"Uh, sir, didn't you tell the Queen you wouldn't drink?" Jensen asked.

"Nevermind her, she's just concerned." I unscrewed the cap and smelled the liquid, "Never heard of this brand before."

Jensen looked a bit wary, "Don't you find it a bit odd that someone would send a bottle of alcohol as a present for a baby?"

"Not at all, they obviously know how make a party fun."

"It seems a bit suspicious, either way."

"Oh relax," I said, putting the bottle to my lips, "What's a little taste going to do?"

"Sir!"

Having had barely a mouthful, I looked up, "Jensen, I said rela-" Mackzies stood at attention next to Jensen, "Oh."

"Queen Regina is requesting your presence, sir." Mackzies reported.

"Of course she is," I set the bottle down, "Very well, let's not keep her waiting."

I set off down the hall, ignoring the fact that Jensen was not with us, and ignoring the fact that my entire body felt numb.
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:41 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

~Rook

"I don't like watching people grow old and die," Thorn said. I could imagine what it'd be like to live so much longer than all my friends - though I wasn't sure whom I'd even call 'friends' of all the people who've been surrounding me - but running away from making any connections..that sounded awfully lonely. No one should be living for centuries like that.

"You have a lousy attitude."

"What?"

"I said: You have a lousy attitude," I repeated, and he scoffed at me.

"Unlike yourself, I'm old and wise," he said. "That optimism of yours might make it one life time, but not four."

But I have already spent one lifetime, have I not?

"You act like an old fart," I said honestly. He glared at me, and laughed as I smiled. It was easy to talk to him - like time never passed. Like I never died.

"Gee, thanks." He pushed his glass away, and I followed it with my eyes. "Now you know my story.. Or the main parts of it. Want to see Knightly?"

I felt as if someone poured cold water over me. Knightly. Right. Why can't I even think straight when that topic comes up? I nodded, trying hard to keep calm.

"Yes, I should talk to her."

He seemed to be feeling strange about it, but I couldn't help asking him about her. I wanted to know everything, every little detail of our life together, of what made her fall in love with me and what made me fall in love with her. I didn't know why I was asking him all that - I just knew that I couldn't stop talking, and keeping my eyes on Thron, otherwise I'd turn away and run, and get out of their lives forever.

"Wait here with the dogs," he said, as we reached a house. "I'll come out and get you when.. If she wants to speak with you."

"Sure." I said, licking my lips. He squeezed my shoulder and smiled for a second, then knocking on the door.

I figured I was shaking as he disappeared from my sight. What are you doing, Rook? What the hell are you doing? I wasn't suppose to be there - I died, they buried me, they said their goodbyes, they..they should've just went on with their lives, shouldn't they? I did nothing to deserve to be part of their lives again - I didn't even know them. I didn't even know myself.

I took a step back, and one of Thorn's dogs pushed my leg from behind, making me stop. As I looked at it, it growled at me. Great, Rook. Now dogs are telling you what you should do.

Playing with my pen, I wondered what I should say to her. Hi, love, I have no idea who you are. I shoved the pen back in my pocket, afraid I might break it. I just came back from the dead - oh, and played the role of a diplomat for Queen of Hearts in the mean time - so let's just continue where we stopped, shall we? I ran my fingers through my hair, wondering if I should just go away. Turn around and just walk, until I get back to the Hearts' HQ or anywhere else, out of Wonderland City, far from anyone who ever might have known me. This is your second chance, I told myself, pressing my fingers on my eyes. You came back from the dead for this girl, Rook, for heaven's sake, stop being such a coward. You can have your life back. Family, friends, everything. She will be happy to see her, she surely will. And the child.. You are good with kids, aren't you? You'd make a great dad-

"Oh, whom am I kidding?" I muttered, feeling somewhat sick. Optimism was one thing - but I wasn't exactly used to this. I couldn't know how she'd react. I didn't even know how much she'd known about me. Have I changed?

"Rook." Thron was back, and I didn't have the time to hide just how terrified I felt. Tell me she doesn't trust you. Tell me she doesn't want to see me, and I'll just leave. "She wishes to talk to you."

I took another step back.

"What..how much did you tell her?" I was proud at how strong my voice sounded. What should I tell her!?

"That you lost your memories..that I told you about her." He smiled at me, though his smile seemed somewhat sad. "Don't be so worried. It's a lot of information for her to process, and you're not the one who should be-"

I wasn't listening anymore.

Behind his back, she got out of the house, and stood as frozen as myself. I just knew it was her - even though Thorn never described her much. I knew it, like a mother could know the gender of her unborn child, like birds flying south knew when winter is coming, like the rains knew when to fall just before the flowers have dried out and died. Everything Thorn told me about her just fled my mind, as my eyes stayed locked on hers - I never saw that colour before, like ocean hiding depths of the soul - but I didn't feel afraid anymore. It was my second chance - our second chance - and I needed to make the best of it.

She took a few steps forward, holding her hand up, and I followed her example, letting our palms touch. She pushed my hand gently, as if testing if it's really there, staring at the point our fingers were touching. I was a ghost for her - just like she was a character from a story to me - but I could tell she loved me, and she didn't let go of me. Months have passed, but she still missed me, and I suddenly wanted more than anything to be able to say the same. her voice was trembling as she spoke up.

"Rook.." My name sounded strangely different when she said it, and it made me smile a little. Then she met my eyes, and I turned serious again. "You..you don't know who I am, do you?"

I wished I could tell her anything else.

"No," I said silently, biting my lip as her eyes filled with tears. "But I'd..like to change that." Her eyes lit up a bit. "Can we change that? I..won't leave you alone again."

She just stood there for a moment.

Then she hugged me, burying her face in my chest as if she wanted to be sure she could hear my heartbeats, and I found it almost as natural as breathing to hug her back. Everything had to be fine now. Everything.

~Brae

It was hard not to smile after Erillian left. He didn't exactly promise to be on my - our - side, in fact he even admitted to be friends with Regina Lordshire, yet I knew he liked me and, so far, he was willing to do everything I asked. I wasn't quite sure if I liked acting behind Miranda's back like that..but then again, all I did was for her, and though it'd make her mad if she knew, I knew Erillian understood that too. To get her on that throne, I first needed to be sure I can get and hold it myself - there was nothing possessive or betraying about that. I frowned at a random bug. There is nothing wrong about that. I would never betray Miranda - she and the kids were my everything.

Does she know that? I frowned at my inner voice. She had to know it. I would've never betrayed her.

You said you'd never work behind her back either - yet look at you and your planning.

"I am not planning anything," I said, barely aware I spoke out loud. "I am her husband - as Miranda takes the throne, I'll be the king anyway."

As if provoked by those words, I heard a silent click behind my back. What is someone with a gun doing here? And someone who'd point that gun at me, even? I lifted my hands, as if surrendering, and took my hat off in the process. Praying he doesn't shoot, I turned around and - using the hat as my weapon, since I carried none - slammed the gun out of his hand. Not checking, I took a random branch from the ground and turned at him again.

I found him pointing a katana at me. S***.

I squinted at him, figuring I recognized him - he was the man who accompanied Yamani to that meeting with Erillian. Could Spider have brought him here? He wouldn't trick you like that. Would he? He said he never takes sides.. You'd know. You shook hands. I bit my lip. Erillian said that Yamani sent him away - if that was the same man. Was he still on her side? Judging from the fact he looked at me over the blade of his weapon, it was a reasonable assumption. I can't let him get close to Miranda and the kids. I just can't.

"You should just leave," I said, slowly moving back as he stepped forward. "There are guards all around, just waiting for me to call for them."

That was as far from the truth as it could've been - they were all in the HQ, some away on various missions, it was middle of the day and our guards weren't up, and I didn't even know where Miranda was. And the worst of all, he didn't seem to care a bit, and I couldn't focus on my powers. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't have read the thoughts of anything around me, like I normally could. I felt like shaking from the inside. Fear played with my abilities, and I didn't even know it was possible.

He caught me unprepared, swinging the branch from my hand, and, putting the blade under my chin, waved a paper at me.

"Take me to White Queen," it read, "and don't dare warning her."

"Can't you talk?" I muttered. He just waved the paper harsher, and I frowned. Maybe he couldn't. "Go to hell, along with your Queen of Hearts."

I can't take him to Miranda. I can't put my kids in danger. I made a move to run away - for my effort, he pinned me to a tree and put his katana so closely near my throat that I barely dared to breath. I could feel it, cold and scarily sharp, against my skin, and his other hand clutching my shirt as he held me still, yet I couldn't tell anything about him or his weapon. Images were flashing through my mind, but vague and unconnected, as I couldn't stop thinking of Miranda. If he kills me, it was just a matter of time before he finds them. And then..then..I didn't want to know what'd happen to Miranda. And the children..Lewis and Alice were heirs, no smart opponent would let them live and once take our battle on. I felt dizzy, glaring into his eyes and doing my best to focus on whatever power he might have had. Use it. Do something. Something to yourself, or something that'd attract the attention of our guards and warn Miranda. I closed my eyes. Now.

He suddenly yelled, and I opened my eyes - nothing happened to him. Nothing happened at all, except for him looking terrified and putting the katana back down, glaring at me.

Then everything thorn apart.

The ground just cracked, the trees started falling and I found myself on the ground, my head bumped at the same wall I used to be sitting on. For a second, everything went black.

As I opened my eyes again, it was raining, and the sound of thunder filled the air. He was lying a few meters away, seemingly waking up himself - I slowly got up, shaking, and walked over to him, somewhat unstable on my left leg. Looking down, I figured something got stuck in it, and I didn't even want to know how much that will hurt once my senses get back to normal.

He made a move as if he was about to get up, and I reacted instinctively, pushing the katana away from his reach and grabbing another of his guns, pointing it at him.

As I was in control, and I had nothing to fear so much, my powers returned with striking intensity, making everything before me disappear once again.

Haigha March. Twenty four years old, protector and advisor of Yamani Marble - or ex protector and advisor, better said. Madly in love with her even thoguh she sent him away. Not getting why, not understanding what he did, but following orders of his beloved queen.. I could read of every battle and place that gun's been to, and of every person who touched it, and without the hat, my sensitivity to everything around was enhanced anyway - I couldn't tell as much as I could with no protection at all, and it wasn't nearly as dangerous, but I picked up more about Haigha than I could do just by holding his weapon. He has the power of voice, strong enough to build or destroy cities and raise armies, yet never used due to fear of something wrong happening..troubled by memories of what happened once in the past..loyal to Red Queen to the point of doing literally everything for her.. The image of his experiences with Miranda crawled into my mind, and I almost pulled the trigger. His words brought him back from the dead, and brought a curse upon Miranda, making her sick and lost, back when she was alone and unprotected.. He's the father of Yamani's child.

Gun fell from my hand as I loosened my grip, and I took a step back. He didn't even reach for it, just lying there and looking up at me. He didn't even care if I shot him, right then and there - his queen no longer loved him, and wanted him as far from herself as possible, and that was all that mattered to him..

"You don't know."

He looked at me with something like surrender in his eyes, frowning slightly but not making a sound.

"I- I'm sorry," I said, and he slowly sat up. "I didn't know what your power was. But I couldn't have let you get to her."

He blinked at me, and, after a long moment, reached in his pocket and took out a notebook and a pen.

"Who are you?" He wrote.

"The name is Brae," I muttered. "I'm Miranda's husband." And father of her children. But you shouldn't know that. "And I know who you are."

"Then", he wrote, "why didn't you just kill me already?"

Good question, I almost said. Because I'm not a murderer, even though my wife would shoot you without a second thought. Because, in a way, we're the same, and the thought of making a kid - cousin to Alice and Lewis - fatherless..

"I'd have no use of you dead," I said instead.

I backed off as he carefully got up, and I picked the gun again before giving him a chance to do that.

"You said I don't know something. What don't I know?"

I bit my lip.

"You know, for a person who always writes, you really have bad handwriting," I said, and he gave me murderous look. I smirked, holding the gun up to make sure he doesn't come closer. "I'm surprised you just left her. No matter what Miranda told me, I could never leave her."

"She's my Queen," he wrote simply.

I nodded - though I couldn't understand that. They loved each other, yet he took her orders? I never took orders from Miranda - she hated me for it at first, yes, but eventually it got to be what made me so different in her eyes, and the first step to her loving me. Perhaps she and her sister weren't as much alike as I thought them to be.

"She's pregnant," I blabbed, as I heard steps from behind. His eyes widened. "I think she doesn't yet know it either."

"Let's show Daddy what-" Miranda froze as she spotted us, appearing at the entrance to my apparently-not-so-secret hiding place. Her eyes fell on Haigha. "You."

He frowned at her, and I opened my mouth to say something - though I had no idea what - as Alice let go of his mother's hand and ran to me, practically throwing herself in my arms.

"Look, Daddy, Lew and I made these!" She put coronal of flowers on my head, and I pointed the gun at Haigha, holding her with my other hand. Don't you even move while my kids are here..

~Regina

I stretched myself, grinning at the cards on the table in front of us. People liked us - people looked forward to us having a baby. It was a pleasant surprise, and I couldn't keep the smile off my face - especially after all he said last night. I wondered how much he remembered, but I didn't want to ask him, pretty sure he'd probably lie to me anyway.

The baby moved, and I covered it with my hand.

"You seem to like these damn dresses I hate, don't you?" I muttered, observing the fabrics. They made it in shades of green, and I couldn't deny I liked the way it looked, but I hated wearing loose clothes - they made me feel less queenly than I liked feeling. I sighed. "Shall we go take a walk?"

My guards grinned at me as I passed them, but I couldn't even get mad at them for thinking I'm crazy talking to the baby like that. For once, I really felt good. Everything was finally settling; Miranda was somewhere far enough not to make a proper move, Erillian was out of the castle, with that cat trying to catch him, and Yamani was, I hoped, alone and heartbroken. And Lordie and I went along just perfectly again, both knowing where we're standing - I even got him to speak of his emotions, and neither of us normally did that. There was nothing I wanted to be mad or sad about, not even his drinking last night. After all, he did act nicely with me after it, didn't he? And we both knew I could've never been angry at him for a long time.

The guards opened me the door to the throne room, and I smiled at the bunch of fabrics spread over the throne. I had them ordered days ago, and I was pleased to see them looking exactly the way I wanted. The throne was as pretty as always, standing on its podium and waiting for my husband to take his place on it, but I didn't like seeing the decorations exactly the same as they were back when the Queens' parents ruled over Wonderland. I wanted a change - and I was rather sure he would welcome that idea as well.

"Send for the King," I said to the guards, not turning from the throne. There was something almost enchanting about it - I ran my fingers over the decorated dark wood, not for the first time wondering what would it be like if I had been born into royalty. I would maybe now be exiled or hiding, or planning my next move against someone who took my place.. I gently poked the baby again.

"You will once be sitting on this throne, you know," I told him silently. "And rule over all of Wonderland. But before that, we will teach you everything you need to know, and watch over you so no one ever hurts you."

I turned as the door opened again, smiling widely at Lordie. It was strange how much better I felt compared to just a day ago. And it wasn't about the stupid dress. He made a step forward, then frowned and stopped, looking up at me. I felt my mood dropping along with my smile. Something is wrong.

Jensen ran in, holding some bottle.

"Your highness, this-"

Lordie's eyes stayed locked on mine.

"Reggy..I-"

Without another word, his eyes still opened and looking at me, he just collapsed.

And he didn't move again.

The world was spinning.

Trying to catch a breath, I stepped back, more falling than sitting on the throne behind me, unable to move. I wanted to tell them to call the doctor. I wanted to scream and to run there to him - but I could do nothing. I felt cold, as if someone replaced all the wood and stone with ice, and the world around me turned dark. I couldn't see, I couldn't move, I couldn't even properly think.

No.

There was mist in my mind, freezing and imprisoning my thoughts, holding me pinned to that Thorne like a butterfly to a wall. I couldn't focus. I couldn't force myself to do anything, to pay attention to the world around me nor to sort my feelings, not even think of forming words to say to someone.

No. Just please, no.

"Regina!"

I snapped out of it as someone grabbed my hand. Taking a deep breath, I turned to find my doctor glaring at me. I could feel my lips shaking as I opened them to talk, searching for words.

"Is..is he.."

"He's alive," she said. "They took him to his room." She squeezed my hand, not seeming at all as positive as her words.

I licked my lips.

"But?"

"He was poisoned," she said, helping me to get up. I didn't care about acting strong as she lead me through the hallways - though there was no one in our way anyway. She opened the door to my room for me. I stood there for a moment, staring blankly at it, and then turned my back to it. "My lady, you-"

"I won't leave him alone," I cut, and she reluctantly opened the door to Lordie's room for me.

It was almost physically painful to see him like that - not even an hour ago, we were signing the cards and laughing together, and now he was lying there, not moving, and I had a feeling the world is crushing around me. Again and again. "I might even end up getting myself killed for this country. But I won't do anything without thinking about you first, both of you." I bit my lip so hard I felt it bleeding, apparently too shocked to cry. Think of us both. But he didn't, didn't he? He didn't even know he should've - and getting himself killed like this, leaving me alone to fight our enemies, before the baby was even around - that couldn't have been fair. And it mustn't have been true.

The doctor put her hand on my shoulder, squeezing it.

"You should rest," she said.

"Tell me what happened to him."

She pursed her lips, but apparently didn't dare to deny me.

"He drank some poisoned whiskey." Whiskey, I thought blankly. You promised you won't drink more, you stupid- "He's alive. I think he's just unconscious."

"You think. If you don't know, who does?" I burned her with my glare. "Well, fix him."

"I..can't." She looked away, and I felt sick. She was the best doctor I knew - if she couldn't help him, then.. "There's just one person I know, who might be able to help him."

I forced myself to keep myself together.

"Who? I'll send for them."

"His name," she said carefully, "is Garion Thornbranch. Legally speaking, he shouldn't be found in Wonderland, but-"

"But he is in Wonderland," I said, reading through her minds faster than she could speak. "In Poor District.. But you don't think he'd come if asked by a guard." I took a deep breath, glancing at Lordie. Since I married him, I barely ever left the castle.. "I'll go. Prepare me my coat and-"

"Oh, no." The doctor held me back this time, despite of my frowning. "You can't go now."

"But-"

"He will be fine till tomorrow. You can't go like this. You must come down, my lady. Sort your thoughts, sleep. Keep him company while he's still-" she stopped herself, but her tongue has already slipped.

"Still what? Alive? Can your exiled friend bring back the dead? How can you possibly ask me to-"

"Regina." She sighed. "I don't know. I'm sorry..but I don't know much of poisons, and I've never seen one such as this. I don't know what it's doing to him, but he needs you now. Stay by his side, and calm yourself. For the sake of the little one, if you don't care of your own health."

I glared at the door long after they closed, leaving me alone with Lordie. It was hard to look at him lying like that - his eyes were closed now, and he looked almost as if he was asleep, yet I knew he wasn't even aware of the world around him. I felt my eyes filling with tears. He didn't even know nor care I was here, worried and afraid and feeling so damn vulnerable like a whole army died around me. He's not dead. And you will not cry.

The pain in my stomach almost made me fall to my knees - I caught hold of the wardrobe door, catching my breath. Not you too..

"Stop it," I breathed. "Stop hurting. Please..just calm down." I hugged myself, practically feeling the baby sharing my worriness. "It will be alright. Don't be afraid..mommy is just worried." I looked at myself in the mirror on the door. My hair was falling loose again, and my eyes, lighter from fear and all the mix of feelings, seemed huge on my face. I got surprised by how pale I was - my skin was almost white, and I looked like a lost young girl. "It will be alright," I whispered, more trying to comfort myself than the baby. "I promise. I won't let your daddy die. We will go to that doctor - we will get the cure. We will take care of him, just he takes care of us and like we will take care of you." I approached the bed, finding it hard to keep myself standing - I close my eyes for a moment as I sat down, to keep the world from spinning.

He seemed much younger, lying down like that - and so vulnerable too, unable to defend himself from anything.

I lied down, moving his hair from his eyes. For once, his skin was so much colder than mine, and I panicked again. That wasn't normal - it was never so. My hand was shaking as I put it over his heart, then practically burying my fingers in his skin as I felt his heartbeats. Calm down, Reggy. The doctor said he will be fine. You must try to sleep.

The castle crumbled to the ground - the pillars fell, the throne burnt to ashes, the mirrors broke.. I couldn't move, chained to a bed, as everything around was burning, as my baby was crying in his crib, and Lordie was no where around - and I knew he wasn't helping us because he couldn't, because there was no way for any doctor to bring back the dead..

I woke up with a start, shaking, again hardly breathing. making myself calm down, feeling cold again, I hugged him tighter and leaned my head on his shoulder, sliding into dreams again..

Erillian was grinning at me, with one Queen on each side, sitting on the throne. The White and Red Queen looked like twins, wearing different colours, different marks, both smiling dark smiles.

"Pick one," Erillian said, and I saw my husband and son - so alike, though the latter had my eyes - tied up in the dungeons, both having knives held under their throats. "Pick one, Reggy."

"No," I whispered, begging them to change their minds, to just let us go. "Please..I can't just.."

Both of the blades moved simoultaneously - and blood was golden as the crown on my friend's head.

I woke up again, this time wincing to stop myself from screaming, to the shadows of evening or night.

Why was I dreaming of that? Why couldn't I have one calm, happy dream?

I glanced up at Lordie, still and expressionless, and still looking dead.

"I suppose you can't hear me," I said silently. "I don't even know if you know I'm here." I moved my right hand back up to his heart - it was comforting, though not comforting enough. "But I am. I will find you that cure, and you will be alright." I bit my lip, feeling my eyes burning with unshed tears again. "Whatever you're feeling, just hold on till tomorrow, alright? Just..just don't..just don't die. I would never forgive you if you died." I squeezed his shirt tighter. "I would never forgive myself." I played with a button of his shirt, thinking back to when I was a little girl - I thought life was so much harder for the poor. I was so wrong. Feeling the familiar pain again, I clenched my teeth, curling up closer to him. Calm down, little one. I'm sorry I can't be stronger than I am.

"I need you, Lordie," I was barely aware of what crossed my lips. "You're my King, one and only thing that makes me the Queen, I don't even know where I'd be if there wasn't for you, I can't be who I am without you." I couldn't stop my tears any longer, burying my face in his shirt, not even caring if he'd like my tears on it or not. "I need you. I love you. I couldn't live without you. Don't leave me alone!"

• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:08 am
View Likes
AlmondEyes says...

~Luna~

The air was frigid as I pulled the hood of my midnight Black Cloak over my head as I made my way down the cobble stone streets of Wonderland. Night had fallen, and I watched as people meandered by. Couples out for a late moon lit walk, children playing in the dark. For the most part, it was quiet though. Once i'd finally finished the poison, I went out and bought something to put it in. Seeing as how Lordie likes his liquor, that was decided, and I had the perfect opportunity to put it into play. His Queen Regina, has just found out that she's carrying the heir to the throne. Everyone is giving gifts in honor of the news, so I decided now was the best time to strike. I caught sight of a little girl skipping by and called out to her. She stopped and turned to look at me, and I motion her over.

She skips her way over to me, humming some tune she most likely had stuck in her head and came to a stop in front of me. "Yes ma'am?"

Aw. That's sweet. She had manners. I kneeled down in front of her, careful to keep my face from view. "Hello honey. How are you doing?"

"Good." she smiled sweetly at. "Thank you for asking."

I touched her head. "Of course sweetie. Now, would you mind doing me a favor?"

"Mm...." she rocked on her heels for a second, debating, but I knew she would. "What's the favor?"

I smiled to myself. "Did you hear the good news about the Queen?"

Her face lit up. "Yes I did!! Isn't it great news?"

"That it is," I nodded. "Which is why I wanna give this gift to them, but I have something else to do, and don't have the time to do it. Would you do it for me?"

"Sure." she nods. "You seem like a really nice lady. All of the other people around here are grumpy and rude."

I laughed at the funny face she made. "Well, if they ever mess with you, tell them i'll be watching."

"I sure will," she replied. "so what exactly an I delivering?"

I pulled out a bottle of liquor i'd wrapped in a blood red bow with gold lining on it and handed it to her. "This is for the King. See that it makes it's way there safely, then come find me once you've delivered it."

She ran off without another word.

Light of the ripe full moon appeared from behind the clouds, shedding light in dark corners. I watched the clouds rove by as I waited for the little girl. It didn't take her long. She came skipping back, humming that same tune, stopping right in front of me.

"I did it." she smiled.

I pushed back from the wall i'd been leaning against kneeled in front of her. "What's your name, child?"

"Lily," she answered.

"Well, Lily," I touched her head. "Thank you for helping me."

"You're welcome." she gave me a bright smile.

I patted her head before standing up and walking away.

"Wait!" she ran over and tugged on my cloak.

I looked down at her. "Yes?"

"Will I ever see you again?" her voice quaked. "I don't have any friends, and I always feel so alone."

A tear slid down her face as I kneeled down to wipe the tear away.

"Will you be my friend?" she asked. "So I won't be alone anymore?"

Poor girl. She must have been desperate for a friend if she was asking a complete stranger to be her friend. She was such a sweet kid. I would hate to see someone take advantage of her, and I would hate to have to slit someone's throat, because then i'd have to deal with the body. "Alright. Here's what i'll do."

Lily's eyes widened and she began move restlessly. I pulled out a necklace and put it on her. Her eyes sparkled with curiosity as she picked up to examine it. "What is it?"

"Mahogany Obsidian." I answer. "It's to help protect you from anything that would wish you harm."

"Thank you very much." she rushed forward to hug me.

It took me a moment to register her tiny arms around my neck, but I return the hug before kissing both of her cheeks and forehead. "By the light of the full moon, I bless you in the name of the goddess. May she always watch over you. So mote it be."

With that, I get up and walk away.

"Does this mean you won't be my friend?"

I stop, but don't turn around. "I'll always be there when you need me."

"You promise?" she took a step forward.

The look in her vulnerable eyes practically broke my heart.

"I promise."

As I made my way through forest, I slowed my pace. Nothing moved. Nothing made a sound. Nothing breathed. The wind had even stopped blowing. Not even the sound of animals scurrying along the ground reached my ears. Something was completely wrong with this. I let my cloaked arms fall to my sides, blades sliding into my hands and I scan the wall of trees in the meadow. Something was out there. Or someone.

"Why don't you come out now?" I call out. "It's not like you following me is a secret anymore. If it ever was."

"You're more attuned with your senses than I thought." the male voice came from my right. "I figured now would be a better time than any to finally meet you."

A man stepped out into the light. I turned to face him. "Oh?"

"Yes." he moved closer. "You're quite the famous person. Did you know that?"

"People talk." I shrugged.

"And modest." he murmurs. "Not what I was expecting at all."

"Oh?" I raise an eyebrow. "And what were you expecting?"

"A self centered cold heartless murderer," he answered. "but then again, what you did for that little girl was none of those things."

My jaw almost dropped. What the hell?!Who the hell does he think he is? I look at him with cold indifference, cocking my head to the side. "And your name would be?"

Spoiler! :
I forgot to put these pics I found in before I posted :D I'd also like for you guys to mention the little girl in posts every once in while. If you do, you can describe the necklace as any of the three below.

Mahogany Obsidian6.jpg
Mahogany Obsidian6.jpg (8.24 KiB) Viewed 5082 times
Mahogany Obsidian5.jpg
Mahogany Obsidian5.jpg (8.74 KiB) Viewed 5082 times
Mahogany Obsidian4.jpg
Mahogany Obsidian4.jpg (5.64 KiB) Viewed 5082 times
Last edited by AlmondEyes on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:01 pm
View Likes
KingLucifer says...

Blair DeVore - Wonderland Forests - I can't just sit here and be surrounded like pray waiting to be caught by a tiger!

The crack of thunder, the strike of lightning, the rain that pelted my skin. To normal people, this would be considered bad weather, but to me, it made perfect cover for my game of "Hide and Go Seek" with my opponent. Except, both of us were "it" and neither of us were hiding and we were making use of daggers. A deadly game of "Hide and Go Seek". I breath as I keep my wits about me, I had my daggers out and took off the rope that attached them to each other. The first to find the other and gain the surprise advantage was the first to "win" the "game" I kept my senses about me, trying to watch and listen for the other. I kept my feet low to the ground to prevent mud from splashing, who knows if I'm going away or towards him, I was going in the last known direction that he was.

He was skilled, cold, calculating, but above all else, unfeeling, but his one eye betrays him, I saw anger in his eye. Stress to, he must be going though a lot if he is allowing his emotions to betray him. I thought about him, any of his physical features could tell me about what he was capable of, he was strong, the three scars on his face indicate he was in a nasty fight with some people, or a beast. He was athletic, and his posture suggests he's been at this for a long time. I finally come to a tree and look around, thunder cracks again, and I quickly take in my surroundings, all I see is forest.

I take a deep breath, might as well take advantage of the rain. I put one of my knifes back into my boot and then take out my water canteen, least this way I won't need to keep going to the river. I open it and place it out in the rain allowing it to catch rain and refill while I search. That's when I find the small opening in the tree, just big enough for me to fit in and peek out to watch my canteen. I look around again to give a second opinion, and ultimately rule, it would be better to get away with the files than to catch a cold.

I crawl into the small opening, just barely big enough for me to sit up and cross my legs in, now I had shellter for now, and I would normally proceed to fall asleep or watch my canteen fill up and then fall asleep. But that was not the case, apparently he was not far behind as I see a foot suddenly appear from my point of view and knock over my canteen. The foot stops for a moment, nothing happens then I see a hand and it grabs the canteen, and lifts it out of view. I wondered what he would think, my hand moves slowly to my boot, and slowly I began to pull a dagger from it, expecting at any moment now for him to reach in a grab me by my collar. But soon I see my canteen appear and placed right where I placed it before, then the foot moves and disappears from my view.

Questions ran though my mind as I watch my canteen slowly being filled by the rain, did he know where I was? did he notice the small opening in the tree like I had? would he come back to get me? what would happen now? damn it! I can't just sit here and be surrounded like pray waiting to be caught by a tiger!
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:26 pm
View Likes
StoneHeart says...

Spoiler! :
XD, very nice post Aria. Here’s mine, enjoy!

Nylan Aramasphere

Nylan sighed as he stepped out of Regina’s quarters, shoving the book she’d handed him into his pack, planning to open it later. This time he left through the front door; it never ceased to amuse him how she seemed to always appreciate his company. He appreciated hers as well, and was half curious as to why she had sent him away so quickly, he’d expected her to ask for a far more detailed report on the spot. His stomach rumbled and he shoved the thought aside, enough time for extended reports after a good supper.

He could help but feel that something was wrong though, as he paced through the brightly lit castle corridors. Something was wrong . . . something he’d have to discover . . . something that he felt Regina wasn’t going to tell him.

He slipped into the kitchens without even being noticed by the dozens of cleaning boys bustling about; cleaning up after the castle’s massive evening meal. He grinned to himself as he stepped up behind the short, oddly thin head-of-the-kitchens, Mrs. Kendra Keltin, and tapped her lightly on the shoulder. Kendra gave a start of surprise and spun around, desisting from boredly ordering random servants to scrub harder.

“Why goodness!” She exclaimed, her face alight with a wide smile.” If it isn’t Nylan! Back from the dead? Where have you been?”

Nylan grinned, Kendra knew nothing about the real him, but he trusted her. She was one of the few people he really liked, and one of extremely few people that he trusted, despite their haphazard relationship. He stepped forward and embraced her, then set her lightly back down.” Off doing a few little things for the Queen” he replied, excusing himself.

She shook her head.” You can trust me, you know, Ny?” but she shook the statement aside and rounded on him.” But where are my manners?! Have ye eaten yet?”

His smile widened and he leaned against the wall, warm from the adjacent ovens. Kendra always asked him that question when he came to visit her.” No I haven’t,”

She smiled, and pushed a strand of her long blonde hair out of her eyes.” Well then, let me have a quick meal made up for you!”

He shook his head politely.” That’s okay, if we could just grab some left-overs and find a bench, I’d love to talk. I’ve been away from the city for a while and could really use a detailed heads-up.” He knew that she hadn’t eaten yet, she never ate until after the cleaning was done.

Kendra glanced around the room, which was quickly emptying.” Ah well, I might as well. The cleaning’s pretty much done, here, just a moment. You sit there!”

Nylan sat down at the table she’d pointed out to him, and watched as Kendra quickly bustled around the empty kitchens, grabbing leftovers and heaping them onto a tray. A moment later she stepped back over to him and dropped the heap of food odds and ends in front of him.” So, how long have you been gone? I haven’t seen you since last summer”

He sighed.” Since last year, I forget exactly when. . . . How have things been at the castle? From rumors I’ve heard in the countryside things aren’t doing too well, but I don’t have much solid information, yet!”

Her smile faded quickly, and then she explained in great detail everything of import that had happened since he’d left. . . .

He nodded glumly when she was done; he wasn’t surprised,” Well, I’d expected it to be worse, to tell the truth.”

She put a delicate white hand on his.” Nylan, I don’t know what you do, but please, be careful. I’ve lost a lot of friends and family members to war; I don’t want to lose anyone else.”

He smiled up at her.” Don’t worry; I’m quite capable of taking care of myself. But how are you taking all of this? What are your thoughts about it?”

She shrugged.” I’m loyal to Lordshire and the Queen. I mean, from what my father told me before he got killed earlier this year by some White Soldier, Lordshire’s improved things quite a bit, under Yamani and Miranda’s parents and grandparents things were a lot worse. I personally have little love for either of the queens, but I pity them.”

He winced.” Sorry about your father.”

She shrugged again.” It’s okay, everyone has to die, and not everyone gets to choose how.”

He let a respectful silence pass.” Why do you pity them?”

Kendra smiled thinly.” Miranda has 2 children you know? Personally I think that she doesn’t even know what she’s doing. . . . Anyone who thinks they can be better than someone else at ruling hasn’t thought about the subject much in my opinion. For her sake, and her children’s, I’m sorry for her. . . . War makes orphans, and no matter how bad the parents, I still pity the children.”

Nylan nodded despondenly.” I wish there was some easier way to end this, without killing . . . I don’t want to kill anyone else, but what happens if we don’t? Would it be just better for one side just to step down? Wouldn’t it save lives?”

Kendra nodded.” It would be better, but nobody’s going to be doing that. . . . I believe that the coming generation will prosper the most under Lordshire, and seeing as someone has to come out on top, I support him.”

Nylan stood slowly.” Thank you for the meal, Kendra; it was a pleasure as always.”

The young woman wrapped her hands around her cup of broth and nodded.” I always enjoy your company Ny, come again when you can.”

Nylan checked Regina’s room on the way back, but it was empty. Making sure the coast was clear he slipped back into the tunnels behind her rooms. Once safely inside he quickly found his old room, still the same, with a cot in one corner, a chest of drawers in another and a rack of weapons on one wall. It was oddly un-touched, everything was covered in dust, and it looked as though nobody had entered the room since the day he’d left it.

He sat down on the edge of his bunk and pulled out the book Regina had given him, Wonderland: A history, he shrugged and flipped it open, instantly a slip of paper fell out of it and landed on the floor. He set the book down beside him and bending down, picked it up and unfolded it from the flower it had been made into.

There's a man named Brae, in the army of the White Queen. I want him here, by any means possible - alive. His abilities might present a problem, so make sure you don't get to touch.

Apart from that, watch the camp of the Queen of Hearts. Take your time, and let me know of anyone whose abilities stand out, who's interesting in some way and accessible enough. Find out that person's name, where to find them and everything possible about them. Then invite them to meet me in the castle - invite, not force, using the most convincing words you find.

Don't get into any fights with either of the Queens - deny any connection to me or the Thrones, do whatever needed to get their loyalty and get close enough to get the tasks done.

Don't get yourself killed.
Don't let the King know.

He smiled widely, finally some action in Wonderland. It was what he was up to at the moment. Why the Queen wanted Brae, the White King, was beyond him though . . . he’d have to talk with her about it. No, she’d had a reason for not telling him of this personally . . . She still needed a full report from him though, after that he could be on his way . . .

A dozen questions flashed through his mind, but he shoved them to the side, when he needed information he had his sources, sources that he could contact . . . tomorrow. Now however, he lay down, and giving himself six hours, fell asleep.

He’d talk to the queen . . . In the morning.

Spoiler! :
Any problems? LET ME KNOW! (Sorry it's so small :()
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:57 am
View Likes
megsug says...

Minerva - Caves

That idiot.

Where was she? So I could tell her what I thought of her. She needed to be sleeping or, if not sleeping, eating. What she shouldn’t be doing was traipsing around. I cursed. And if she was out in the city, I would probably-

"There you are," I said flatly, crossing my arms.

"Here I am."

I sighed, just glad she wasn’t getting herself into trouble. "Mani, you should really be in bed."

She turned around, looking a step above death, a baby step. "I'm not tired."

I nodded slowly. "Mm...You look tired."

"Don't lie. I look like shit, and you know it."

"Well...yes." I shrugged. "Though I wasn't going to say it." I rocked back on my heels, waiting for her to say something. "But you should be in bed." I was able to lead her back to the spare room, a feat that wouldn’t have been possible if she hadn’t been exhausted. I tucked her in, feeling a bit too old for my own good, and sat beside her. Now that I wasn’t worried about where she’d stumbled off to, everything I had found out after she had drifted off to sleep. I stared at her, trying to figure her out, understand why she’d kicked Haigha out. I couldn’t.

It just didn’t make any sense. Not only was he a resourceful-

"What?" she asked.

I blinked at her and was silent for longer than I should have been as I juggled possibilities. I could tell her what I was thinking or... “Nothing.”

Her eyes narrowed. “It wasn’t nothing.”

“It most certainly was nothing.”

My face must have given something away or maybe she was just a b*tch. Either way, she demanded again, her voice harsh and clipped, her ‘queenie voice,’ “What?” I sighed heavily, too irritated to deal with this when she asked, “Are you hiding sh*t from me too?”

I stiffened, hating the fact that she would question my loyalty, and relaxed back into my seat calmly. “Do you realize what you’ve done?” I hissed, my voice giving away the emotion battling within me.

“What the f*ck do you mean?” she snapped.

“Do you understand what he knows?” I saw her tense as she recognized who I was talking about, saw the dangerous glint in her eye, but I went on. “Do you see what he could do to us?”

“He’s nothing,” she spat, and I raised my eyebrows mockingly.

“Nothing, you say? He could blow us up with a word, Yamani. He could give our position away to Miranda or Lordshire. He’s a dangerous enemy, and he was an extremely useful ally. And you threw him away on a damn whim!”

She glared at me, pushing herself into a sitting position. I almost went to push her back down and straighten her blankets, but another glance at her thunderous face made me stop. “You have no right to question my decision.” Her voice was oddly steady, her face strangely tight.

I studied her, trying to see what I was missing. “What are you even waiting for?” I muttered, “You’ve got every other man thinking you’ll cut his balls off if he comes close. “You should have strung him along at the very least. You had him eating out of the palm of your hand. Instead, the blind brat you are, you let him free, so he can turn on you.” I opened my mouth to continue, only to close it. Suddenly, I didn’t care anymore. I was just tired. Of this argument. Of these damn caves. Of Mani.

She muttered something under her breath. Her eyes seemed overly bright.

That maternal feeling came over me again, and guilt along with it. Normally she could take much more abuse than that, but as hard as it was to remember, she had just gotten back from Lordshire’s dungeons.

“I was blind,” she whispers before I could say anything in apology or otherwise. “He... It was all for power.” To my utter shock, her lips started to quiver. “The b*st*rd didn’t ever f*cking give a sh*t. He was just f*cking using me the entire time, and I was the blind brat.” A tear rolled down her cheek.

I winced at the echo of my words. “Yamani... are you sure?” I couldn’t possibly see Haigha doing that.

“F*ck it! Of course I’m sure! I slept with him. I was going to marry him. I slept with him. I l-" She seemed to choke on the word. "I trusted him." She glared at me. "I won't make the same mistake again."

I stood suddenly. "If you're accusing me," I breathed, "do so plainly."

"I wouldn't call it accusing so much as threatening."

I stepped back, my eyes narrowing. "Be careful, Mani."

She scoffs, eyes snapping with fire. "You can do nothing-"

"I am all you have left," I interrupted her. "You've run off the other friend you had… Unless you've befriended the soldiers!" I gave her an obnoxiously bright smile. "Should I call one in? Would you know his name?"

"I don't need anyone," she hissed.

I stormed to the door. "I have a f*cking date." I stopped just before I slammed the door. "It's already lonely at the top, Mani. Don't make it worse."

"Get out."

I did so, and there was only one person I wanted to see as I ran out of the caves.
Test

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:44 pm
View Likes
methrirr123 says...

Erillian Blackguard. Spider King.

What was this assassin playing at. Using children to kill her targets, and then exhibiting what was undoubtedly kindness? It was as though she were actively trying to confuse him. It was maddening. He had been stalking her, shamelessly, since she had given the girl the necklace. He thought he was being pretty stealthy, too, what with his spiders whispering in his ear. But, he stepped on a twig. Always with the twigs. He looked up at the tree, silently and sarcastically thanking it for choosing here to drop one of it's branches.

"Why don't you come out now?" She called, turning towards the brush. "It's not like you following me is a secret anymore. If it ever was." She's confident.

"You're more attuned with your senses than I thought." Erillian said. Stupid f*cking twig.. "I figured now would be a better time than any to finally meet you." and he stepped out of the bushes.

She turned towards Erillian. Her hair was like the sky on a cloudless night during a meteor shower, silver streaks like falling stars against black hair. "Oh?" she said.

"Yes." he said, taking a step or two closer. Her eyes were even more mezmerizing, Silver flecked with violet. "You're quite the famous person. Did you know that?"

"People talk." she said, shrugging. Modest too.

"And modest." Erillian murmured. "Not what I was expecting at all." And it wasn't he hadn't expected to be talking for as long as he did. His hand was twitching, ready to reach for the enormous shotgun on his back.

"Oh?" she said, almost amused. She raised and eyebrow. "And what were you expecting?"

"A self centered cold heartless murderer," he answered. He was almost disapointed that she wasn't. But at the same time... "but then again, what you did for that little girl was none of those things."

Her facial expression at that was unbelievable. He hadn't even tried this time, and her jaw had almost dropped. Holy crap, she doesn't know who I am. he thought. Now he could have a little fun. She gave him a stern look of cold indifference, and cocked her head to the side. "And your name would be?" she asked. She kept her cool pretty well.

"I am Luna, Luna Wenchester, Assassin. I was sent by Miranda, the White Queen, to kill Lordshire, for which I used poison." said Erillian with a mock bow, wearing his best grin.

At this she kept her coolest smile. "Are you now? I'm a fan of yours! Can I get you to sign something for me?" She's good. Erillian thought. She was pretty, too. But starting now, this was a composure contest. Erillian's grind didn't waver.

"You should hear what I know about Miranda." said Erillian. "but you need not worry, I'm... well, maybe I'm not on your side." he said, holding his hand out but then drawing it back, to ponder. Who's side was he on again? "Well, I'm sorry, I need to think about this kind of thing, because I honestly don't know. Um..." and he sat there, and she just stared. It was unnerving. "Well, for the sake of simplicity, I'll just say that I'm on everyones side, and against everyone. I'm in wonderland to prevent a civil war, I suppose. So that means nobody can die." he said. "So, if you know about any antidote to the poison you used..."

"Why?" she asked.

"So I can use it to cure Lordshire."

"No, I mean why do you want to prevent civil war?"

"Because it will hurt the people more than a new ruler can help."

"You still haven't given me a name?" she asked suddenly.

"Yes, I did. I'm Luna Wenchester."

"Not funny. Who are you? How do you know me?" she said, as though trying to decide whether or not they had met before.

"You may call me Erillian."

"Erillian who?" She asked. She seemed to have decided that she didn't care before Erillian could answer, because she quickly shook her head and stated: "Lordshire must leave the throne." she said.

"But nobody must die." said Erillian. He didn't even know why. He just felt this was the right thing. After all, he had killed plenty of people in his time, but now it felt as though the deaths would bring more harm than good. "You go report back to Miranda that you succeeded. No need for you to get in any more trouble than you're already in."

"Trouble?" Luna asked.

"You got involved. That makes you both trouble and in trouble." he said. And then added "I'll be at the tavern at around eleven o clock tonight. If you feel the need to contact me about anything, you know where I'll be."

"Why would I need to contact you?" she asked curiously.

"Because I'm charming." Erillian said, smirking. "And also I can pay for drinks. You'll find I'm a lot more likeable when you're drunk."

Luna stifled a laugh. Close enough. Erillian than turned and waved back. "See you, maybe."

Luna may have muttered something like "maybe." but it was too soft to hear.
Last edited by methrirr123 on Sun May 05, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:55 am
View Likes
StoneHeart says...

Nylan Aramasphere

Nylan was smiling as he entered the Queen's quarters through the back door, early the next morning. He had slept well, and wanted to talk to the Queen about the mission she wanted him to go on; and report on the last mission, of course.

She glanced up to him from where she sat, on the edge of her bed, and smiled thinly up to him. The lines under her eyes told him that she probably hadn't slept well, Duh, idiot! What do you expect?
“Good morning, Ny,” She said,” I trust you slept well.”

She held out a hand, and he instantly took it, slipping the piece of paper she held in her hand into his.” Indeed I did, though I fear that the same could not be said of you.” His smile melted to a frown as he glanced down at the piece of paper, unfolded in his hand:

Don't talk about your coming mission, I've told you what you need to know! I fear I am being spied on.

“Indeed it could not, we had a bit of a hustle last night in the castle,” She continued to talk, it was soft, bantering blabber only though,” but it would not interest you. However, I would like to know how well your mission went. . . .”

He frowned up at her and nodded, folding the piece of paper up and putting it in his pocket.” Aye, well, as I said yesterday, it was a success. I went south, hired the assassins (They demand nothing less than 30 pieces of silver a kill!) and brought them with me. They're waiting for you to send a man to pick them up on Canker hill, just outside the city, six of them.”

She didn't seem to bother with the lack of details, and simply nodded, looking out the window at the just-risen sun.” Ny . . . “She sighed.

He took a deep breath.” Is something wrong?”

She gulped.” Yes . . . no . . . maybe, I don't know. I just – just want things to, I want. . . .” her eyes watered but she quickly quenched the coming tears.” I don't kknow what I want anymore” She looked away from him.

Ny's heart felt for her, she was so young . . . too young, he reached out and took her hands, she looked up at him dozily.” Regina, remember: if you ever need a friend, I'm here . . .”

She smiled.” I know, and thank you for that – but you'd really better be going.” She stood and steadied herself.

He nodded and stood as well, there was nothing more to say . . . He worried for her, she held his loyalty as Queen, and she held his friendship, though she only ever went into the first.” Ah, well then, I guess I will be a-seeing you . . . After this mission of yours.”

She nodded and embraced him.” Take care Ny.”

Cautiously he hugged her back.” You too Regina.”

Ny was tired of more things than he could possibly count, but mainly he was tired of Regina being so distant from him, he wanted to be more than a servant to her, but she was always pushing him away whenever he tried to ask her if she needed his help in anything outside of her more political interests. . . . Like a shoulder to lean on.

He glanced about the sooty street, careful of the backstabbing stragglers who still lingered in the dying light; it was hard to think he'd been in Wonderland for hardly a week. The middle section of the city wasn't doing too well, he mused, it was falling apart at the seams, and the merchants were looking more lean and hungry, more like people he'd fight instead of people he'd trade with.

At the outskirts of the middle section he came upon what he was looking for, a dingy little in, The Crafty Carpenter. It was a rather mean place, but it held the man he needed at the moment.

He slipped in to the small, wooden building, and looked around. The tables scattered before the bar that ran along one side of the room were filled with men, carousing and laughing. He searched the faces, many of which ignored him, until his eyes rested on the one he wanted.

Slipping over to the table where the short, thin, wisp of a man sat, twiddling with his moustache; he pulled back a dirty chair and sat down.

The man glanced up at him and started.” Why Nylan! Hello!” He sounded as nervous as he looked. He was Nylans information base, a hard working peddler, he went over a lot of the city and surrounding countryside during his wandering and knew things few others did, such as the presence of the White’s and Red’s . . .

Usually he was a bit friendlier, but these were not normal times.” Hello Merrin, I need to know something.” It was brusque and he could tell it put the other man on edge.

Merrin glanced up at him, and smiled twitchily, his thin, hawkish face almost afraid.” Ah, well, well . . . What is it?”

Nylan shifted and glanced around the tavern, making sure nobody was listening, and then he leaned forward.” There’s a man named Brae who is with the White Queen, I need to know who he is, what he does, and where he will be for the next three days.”

Merrin started violently and began to clench and un-clench his hands.” You mean the White King?”

Nylan wasn’t exactly surprised to hear it, but he wished the queen had mentioned that piece of information in the letter.” Yes, I do.”

Merrin nodded.” Listen, I’m going to need some good pay for this.” His voice took on a wheedling tone.” What with –“

His words were cut off as Nylan tossed a pouch of silver onto the table.” Forty ounces there, tell me what I need to know, and it’s yours.”

Merrins eyes gleamed and he was about to take the bag when a dagger from Nylans belt almost sliced his hand off. He jerked it back with a yelp.” We have a deal.” He whispered, and glanced around. Nobody was paying them any attention, not that that was a surprise.

Nylan nodded.” Where will he be tomorrow?”

Merrin looked thoughtful for a moment.” It’s hard to say, he does a lot of things, being king and all. But you should be able to find him in or around their headquarters, out on that old cargo ship in the harbor – charming young lady told me all about it, couldn’t stop talking, the idiot. But you should be able to find him alone, if you’re careful, and kill him.”

Nylan smiled thinly.” I’m not going to be killing him.” For a moment he was thoughtful, ignoring the other man’s curious stare.” Do you know any guys who you could really trust? I mean, like with your life?” It was a long shot, but if anyone knew such people, it would be Merrin.

Merrin nodded quickly.” Aye, my cousin and his two friends will do anything for you; even follow you to the bitter end . . . for enough silver. But don’t mind the silver, I’ll ask them to do it for you, put it as a favor to an old customer, eh?”

Nylan chuckled.” You been dealing out my secrets to random people Mer?”

Merrin instantly stood.” Look, Ny, I –“

Nylan waved a hand dismissively.” Don’t mind even if you did, I’ve never told you enough about me to bother.”

Merrin nodded quickly and slipped out of the smoky room.

Nylan followed a moment later.

He smiled to himself, he had everything he needed, and reaching into a pouch at his belt he drew out four long, needle-like spikes, the tips of which were covered in a thick gooy substance. Knockout darts, one strike and you’d take a man out for 24 hours. All he needed now was to recruit these men, and hunt down Brae . . . Easier said than done however.

Spoiler! :
Sorry people, my posts always seem so small . . . but here’s just a starter, we’ll see about more a bit later . . . If there are any problems let me know
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:53 am
View Likes
Shady says...

Yamani-Queen of Hearts

Minerva stared at me a long moment. “Nothing.”

I narrowed my eyes. “It wasn’t nothing.”

“It most certainly was nothing.”

It's never nothing with you, Min. I lifted my chin, tired of everyone treating me like a child when I was the queen. "What? Are you hiding sh*t from me too?"

She stiffened for a moment before relaxing in her seat gracefully. “Do you realize what you’ve done?”

I shifted, wishing I could look as nonchalant as she did. “What the f*ck do you mean?”

“Do you understand what he knows?” She hissed.

I stiffened, glaring at her dangerously. I don't want to hear about that b*stard. Not now. Not ever.

“Do you see what he could do to us?”

“He’s nothing." I snarled.

She lifted her eyebrows mockingly. “Nothing, you say? He could blow us up with a word, Yamani. He could give our position away to Miranda or Lordshire. He’s a dangerous enemy, and he was an extremely useful ally. And you threw him away on a damn whim!”

A...a whim? You little b*tch. You have no idea what I've been through. I had plenty of time to think this out. I glared at her venomously, sitting upright. "You have no right to question my decision."

“What are you even waiting for?” She muttered, studying my face. “You’ve got every other man thinking you’ll cut his balls off if he comes close."

I will.

“You should have strung him along at the very least. You had him eating out of the palm of your hand. Instead, the blind brat you are, you let him free, so he can turn on you.” She opened her mouth to continue, then closed it.

"I can't have him near me..." I muttered under my breath, feeling my eyes fill with tears.

“I was blind.” I whispered. "“He... It was all for power.”

I hugged the blanket, my jaw trembling. “The b*st*rd didn’t ever f*cking give a sh*t. He was just f*cking using me the entire time, and I was the blind brat.”

I wiped the tear from my cheek.

“Yamani... are you sure?”

“F*ck it! Of course I’m sure! I slept with him. I was going to marry him. I slept with him. I-l-" I choked. "I trusted him."

I trusted him...I knew it would come back to bite me eventually, but I trusted him anyway, like I trust you... "I won't make the same mistake again."

"If you're accusing me." She was on her feet. "Do so plainly."

"I wouldn't call it accusing so much as threatening."

"Be careful, Mani." She glared.

I scoffed. "You can do nothing-"

"I am all you have left," She interuptted. "You've run off the other friend you had… Unless you've befriended the soldiers!" She grinned brightly. "Should I call one in? Would you know his name?"

You might be surprised. "I don't need anyone.”

"I have a f*cking date." She snarled. "It's already lonely at the top, Mani. Don't make it worse."

"Get out." I snarled.

She slammed the door as she left, leaving me in the room by myself, not sure if I wanted to cry or sputter curses. I sat, staring at the closed door for a long moment. “She actually left...to go on a bloody date...damn idiot...”

Her words echoed in my mind. It's already lonely at the top, Mani. Don't make it worse.” “F*ck you.” I'd follow you wherever you go, but I don't want you to give up on your dream because you're scared. Haigha’s words assaulted me. “F*ck you too. F*ck all of you!”

I sprang out of bed and grabbed the object nearest me-- a vase-- and threw it, making it shatter against the far wall. The noise if it breaking was familiar. Something that’d stuck with me for years-- that would always be there for me. Unlike people, who abandoned me.

“F*ck everyone!” I nearly shouted, shattering more dishes, breaking off into a string of profanities and insults, describing everything and everyone, everywhere-- whether they’d done anything to p*ss me off recently or not.

I moved across the room like a tornado, throwing everything light enough to lift, feeding off of the rubble around me, the destruction giving me power, energy. I continued throwing things, snarling curses, until I was too weak to lift anything else. I leaned against a table, panting, as the tears loosed themselves and began streaming down my face.

I weakly continued muttering curses as I sobbed, wrapping one of my arms around myself, hugging myself tightly. “I hate them all. They’re all b*stards. Every last one of them...well I don’t need any of them.” I looked up into the mirror in front of me. I had dark bags under my eyes, my hair was a wreck, my eyes bloodshot and watery. “I’m such a f*cking mess.”

I splashed the cool water from the only remaining basin on my face, and sighed, letting the water drip back into the bowl. “Such a f*cking mess...So much for being a Queen. I’ve got about as much regality as a f*cking street rat.”

I looked myself in the eyes. There were fine wrinkles already accenting my green eyes, prominent against the red streaking the whites of my eyes. “You look like an old lady...yet you’re treated like a child...like f*cking tween years all over again-- all that d*mnable backstabbing and lies.”

“...I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve all this...”

”You little f*cking sl*t.” My father’s words echoed in my ears. ”You’re never going to turn into anything useful. All you’re good for is wasting oxygen.”

“Maybe Daddy was right. Maybe I am a waste of good air...” I stared myself down, believing my own words. “No. Stop thinking like that. Father was a b*stard. You know that. Consider it a good thing he was never proud of you...”

Still, I couldn’t help but think back to the advice I’d heard years ago-- so long ago I couldn’t remember who’d said it. “When you run into an assh*le in the morning, you met an assh*le. When you run into assh*les all day, you’re the assh*le.

“Maybe I am.” I sighed, drying my face. “Maybe I should just kill myself, while Haigha’s not here to stop it...make the world a better place.”

I hesitated a moment, letting that thought sink in. It sounded better and better with every moment I thought of it. No more pain. No more tears. No more war, or Lordshire, or his hag. No more...effort. I was so tired of trying.

How shall we do it, then, Mani? A knife? A gun? Maybe...hmm...drowning would be fitting. The last thing I love, water, turning on me...

“No.” I straightened, suddenly determined. “If I’m going to make the world a better place, I’m going to take some other trash with me.”

I threw the hand towel down and walked over the rubble, the glass crunching beneath my feet. A strange tingling sensation filling me-- a determination like I hadn’t felt in quite a while-- as I snuck to the armory and strapped on many guns and blades. A sword across my back, throwing blades up both sleeves, a dagger on my right hip, a sword on my left. A shotgun in my arms, a pistol in a shoulder holster.

I stormed out of the caves.

I stopped at the knoll to catch my breath, wishing the trembling in my limbs would stop.

"Hello."

I jumped at a voice to my right, whirling around, pointing the gun towards it. I sighed when I saw the Dormouse, sitting on a stump nonchalantly. I lowered my gun.

"Honestly, Yamani, must you jump like everyone else? It's been give years, and I'm not that startling."

I sighed, rubbing my face. "You just...surprised me."

"Obviously."

"...What are you even doing out here?"

"I could ask you the same." He countered.

"You could." I snapped. "But I'm the Queen, and under no obligation to answer your questions."

"A bit touchy, aren't we?" He clicked his tongue.

"I can be touchy if I want!" I snarled. "I'm the--"

"Queen, yes, yes, I know." He interupted. "You may be as impossible as you wish."

"Thank you." I snapped. Finally. Someone who gets it.

"The question, though, is 'why'?"

"Why?" I repeated slowly.

"Yes, why." He answered. "Why be so short tempered, when there's so many other good ways to be?"

"Why...BECAUSE EVERYONE IS A BLOODY, BACKSTABBING FOOL! THAT'S WHY!"

"...Well...if you're sure about that."

"Don't start!" I snarled, glaring at him.

"Mm..."

"What does that mean? 'Mm'?"

"It means...mm."

"That means you think I'm being a kid."

"No."

"So you think I'm unreasonable."

"No."

"You think Haigha was a better leader."

"No."

"Then what does it mean, then?" I snarled angrily.

"...It meant, 'mm'. You really should listen to what people actually say."

"Don't tell me to calm--oh..."

"Mm..."

I sighed angrily. "Well say something then."

"Well, how about you sit down?"

"Don't tell me what to do."

"Fine. Then I guess you're going to stand?"

"I'll do whatever I like." I snapped, taking a seat beside him.

"As you wish."

"...Aren't you going to ask me what I'm doing with all these weapons?"

"No."

"...You're not going to ask me who I'm planning to kill?"

"Nope."

"Oh...good. 'Cause I wouldn't tell you anyway."

"Of course not."

I hesitated, glaring at him, wondering why he didn't care. "It's really none of your business."

"I never said it was."

"I can do whatever I please."

"Because you're the Queen?"

"Exactly."

"Mm."

"There you go again, with your 'Mm's."

"How would you like me to answer?"

"I..." I stopped and looked at him hard. I want you to take me seriously. "I know what you're doing. I'm not going to tell you what I'm doing."

"That's fine." He answered impassively.

"...You don't care what I'm doing?"

"I thought you didn't want to tell me."

"I'm not going to." I retorted. But you do want to know...don't you? "But...you're not the lease bit curious?"

He looked at me. "Mm."

What does that even mean? "It's because you think I'm boring."

"Not at all."

"I'm not." I stated.

"I didn't say you were."

"But you were thinking it." And that's why you don't care.

"You don't know what I'm thinking."

"Sure I do. You think I don't actually do anything interesting. You think I've gotten soft."

"Of course not."

"Good!" I snapped. "Because I haven't."

"That's good to know."

"I'm still an enemy to be reckoned with."

"You are?"

"Damn straight. I'm going to kill Lordshire and his hag...and sister dear, while I'm at it."

"You think you'll live long enough to kill them all, if you charge in there half-cocked...though heavily armed?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.

I don't care if I do or not. I don't plan on living through this. "They don't scare me." How do you scare someone who doesn't fear death? You can't.

"I know they don't. You're the Queen of Hearts." The Dormouse offered me a small pipe. "Wild Hearts can't be broken."

Haigha sure broke mine. "That's right." I took a long draw from the pipe, holding my breath until I felt my mind and body relax, taking a huge weight from my shoulders.

"However, there's nothing shameful in a strategic approach." He looked at me seriously. "Perhaps one that'll even keep you alive, tto enjoy the throne you enjoy so much."

"I don't even care about the throne." I took another long draw, rolling my shoulders. "I just want Wonderland to thrive."

"As a true Queen should."

"Mm." I sighed, relaxing, as I handed the pipe back to him. "What do you propose I do, then?"

"Psychological warfare."

"Which means?"

"Regina is pregnant."

"I'm aware."

"Threaten her baby, and you threaten a piece of her." I know... I laid a hand over my stomach, wondering once more if there was anything in there. "Threaten her, and you threaten Lordshire."

"But I wouldn't hurt her baby." I argued, shaking my head. "It's not the kid's fault it has horrible people for parents. It's not like it could choose."

"I know, and you know, that you'd never hurt a baby-- any baby-- but they both think you hate them enough to hurt their baby."

"Empty threat." I caught on. "Get in their heads."

"Psychological warfare." He repeated.

Regina. In the dungeon. Me. Barely conscious. "I've changed my mind. I'll wait until you have the little freak, then burn it in front of you. "I can do that."

"Of course."

Burning. Fire. Matches. "I've got an idea."

"I thought you might."

I got up and started back towards the caves, stumbling slightly, my body too light. I nearly grinned. It's been too long since I smoked with him. I should do it more often. It feels nice.

I hesitated, getting my balance, and carefully walked back towards the Caves, giggling quietly as I felt like I was hovering above the ground. My joints felt so loose and...young. The pain was out of my temples at long last.

I stopped just inside the Caves, and watched as the soldiers and recruits leapt to their feet, looking at me, panicked. I grinned, and watched as they all hesitated, looking at each other worriedly.

Imma kick the bitch's ass with letter and a match. I practically skipped to my room-- as well as I could, with my limp and aching body-- and retrieved the ringbox on my dresser, noting, with some satisfaction, that the charred spiders were gone.

I sat down by the desk and thought a moment. A threatening letter? What should I say?

I moment later, I'd written on a small slip of paper, "To: Mrs. Regina Lordshire"

I grabbed a single match from the box in my top drawer, next to the pipe Haigha didn't want me to have, and carefully laid it in the ring box. I grabbed another slip of paper and wrote, "For: The little freak".

I hesitated a moment. She'd know where it came from, surely... To be sure, I drew a small heart on the shaft of the match and laid it back in the box, heart clearly visible on top. Then I tucked my second note on top, and shut the box, tying the first to it with a small piece of twine.

I thought a moment longer, then nodded and sent the box off with a recruit.

"Now...we wait..." I eyed my top drawer. Haigha didn't like it when I smoked. Haigha's not here.

I pulled my pipe out and lit it, again and again, until I was lying on my bed grinning. I really don't need anyone else.

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Thu May 02, 2013 7:24 pm
View Likes
Alvarin says...

Garion Thornbranch (The Talking Door) - Knightly's place to the Rebels' old HQ
I watched as they hugged, and smiled, but at the same time I couldn't help but feel lonely. I would never find someone like that.. Or more like, even if I found someone that I loved, that person would grow old and die while I could do nothing but watch. Idiot, just be happy for your friends.

I hadn't thought that it would go so smoothly, but I was happy that it did. I listened on a bit more of their conversation, before excusing myself. They didn't seem to need me around to babysit them, and I'd much rather give them their privacy. Sleep would probably do me some good. Sleep, and food. Healing the Queen of Hearts had left me exhausted, and I didn't know how much longer that potion could keep me going.

"You know where I'll be if you need me," I said with a smile as I left.

I still didn't quite know how to feel about Rook's return. Happy, of course, even overjoyed.. But at the same time I can't stop worrying. He sure seemed to be the same man, but I couldn't possibly know how all this had changed him. He had even joined the Hearts, which was something I knew he would have never done in the past. Something had definitely changed.

The dogs got up as I called them, and followed me to my place. I noted that the dogs I had left to guard it were calm, which meant there had been no visitors while I was gone. Maybe the idiots are taking a day off. I scoffed. Yeah, as if.

I opened the door and stepped inside. I never really bothered to lock the door. My dogs kept people away better than any lock would.. And besides, a lock didn't amuse me by bringing back pieces of whoever tried to break in.

"Thorn."

I twirled around, only to spot Minerva sitting on a chair. I stared at her for a while before leaning back on the closed door and letting out a relieved sigh. "You scared the shit out of me," I exclaimed. I focused on getting my heart beating normally again, before frowning. "How did you get past the dogs?"

She shrugged. "They let me pass." They let you pass? Last time they had tried to eat her. Now when I thought about it they hadn't minded Rook either. I'd have to do something about that.. Well, not that I wanted them to attack Rook or Minerva, but I didn't want them to let people in just because they had visited before.

I looked around, searching for words. Why can't I talk like I normally do when you're around? "I'm glad you're here," I said finally, bending down to give her an awkward kiss on the cheek. "Do you want something to eat?"

The question seemed to surprise her. "No, not really."

"Oh. Well, I'm starving." And I really was. I hadn't eaten something since.. Since she left. I was tired as well, and was starting to get a headache because of the potion I had taken, but that I could ignore. I opened up the fridge and stared. A melon, two eggs and dog food. Really now?

"Did the dogs do the grocery shopping?" she teased as I closed it again.

My stomach growled before I could answer, which made her scoff. I sighed again, before changing my mind and taking out the melon. "Seems they did," I muttered as I cut it up. I really have to deliver those salves soon. I'm running out of money quicker than I thought.

I sat down at the table opposite of her and started eating. "So, what brings you here?"

"You told me to swing by, so I did."

As charming as it sounded, I doubted that was the real reason. "And?"

"That's it." I raised an eyebrow. You're not as good at lying as you think.. Or maybe I'm just used to being lied to. "And Yamani is being an ass," she admitted reluctantly.

I snickered. "Yeah, I noticed." And I doubt that the current king or the White Queen were any different. "I'm guessing she's not resting as I told her." She opened her mouth to answer, but I cut her off. "You know, never mind. She's probably already off to hurt herself or others again," I muttered quietly.

For a moment Minerva looked like she wanted to protest, but she seemed to change her mind. "So, except for helping my cousin, what have you been up to today?"

Actual smalltalk? I resisted the urge to reach over the table and kiss her. You've spent too much time with your dogs. Learn some manners. "Well, I met my friend, who had apparently come back from the dead. Introduced him to the finacé he couldn't remember, since an idiot shot him in the head a few months ago. How about you?" She blinked, and then frowned. "No, I'm not making that up."

"Did you..?"

I shook my head and swallowed the last piece of melon. You eat like a dog as well. "Can't bring people back from the dead.. No matter how much I want to." I looked up at her and smiled. "But enough about that. Did you meet any resurrected friends today?"

She chuckled. "Not really."

"You know, you really should be more careful when working for the Hearts. Whoever they've got down in the dungeons seem to know what they're doing." To make people suffer for a living. People like that... I shook my head. I didn’t want to see anyone else cut up like that. Especially not Minerva.. Woah, wait. Don’t start caring about her. You’ll just get hurt in the end.

“I know how to take care of myself.”

“Yeah, I saw that before,” I muttered. “How’s your foot?” Before she had time to make some witty comeback my dogs started barking and howling like crazy. I sighed. You sigh too often. “Seems the idiots didn’t take a vacation,” I muttered as I slammed the door open and whistled loudly. The dogs immediately backed away from the woman they had pushed to the ground.. Or if she had tripped while running, I didn’t really care. She was wearing a hooded cloak. Someone who doesn’t want to be recognized. Lovely. "What the hell do you want?" I asked, in a not so friendly tone. My headache was getting worse.

"Are you Garion Thornbranch, the doctor?" She looked up at me, and I couldn't help but feel that I had seen her before.

I sighed, walked up to her and held out my hand to help her up. "People call me Thorn. What do you need?" I frowned slightly as she took my hand. "And I don't do births. Leave that to a real doctor," I muttered. Births were just messy, and reminded me of things I didn't care to remember.

“I have a doctor for that.” She played with a button of her coat, seeming to be hesitating before speaking again. “I need you to deal with something else.. with a poison. I was told you’re the only one who can.”

That bad, huh? "If you don't mind me asking, who are you?"

"She's Lordshire's witch," Minerva spat, before the woman had any chance of answering herself.

I turned around to look at her, she was holding a knife. You just had to take a look, didn't you? "Put that down before you hurt yourself," I muttered and glared at the weapon. How many people had I been forced to save just because they had tripped over their own knives? I had already confirmed that Minerva was a..

I didn't even have time to finish my thought before Minerva lunged at the supposed queen. Instinctively I stepped in between them, and felt as the knife buried itself in my chest. I stared at it, and so did Minerva, though her stare was a bit more shocked than mine. ".. Or me, for that matter," I grunted. "Could you..?"

"Pull it out?"

"No!" I exclaimed, a bit louder than I had intended to. Really now, this is doing nothing for my headache. "No, just let go of it," I said with a calmer voice. It had been a while since the last time I was stabbed. "I'll pull it out.. Inside. And don't worry, I'll be fine." I glanced at the queen, and then back at Minerva. "Maybe you should go.. And come back later.. To fetch your knife."

The worry disappeared from her face, and was soon replaced by anger again. "If it wasn't for that b**** you wouldn't have been forced to heal Yamani in the first place," she fumed.

I blinked. The queen did the torture? For a moment I was about to turn around and tell the queen to go to hell, but then I reminded myself that she wasn't here for her own sake. "I'll heal anyone who asks for it, no matter how little they deserve it," I said simply. "Now go.. Please?" I hoped she would forgive me for that, but even if I liked her I wasn't about to let her kill someone. Not even if that person deserved to die.. Besides, she was carrying a child.

She gave me a look that seemed to be right between a f*** you and an apology, before quickly taking the long way around me and the queen and leaving.

“Yes,” she said, taking off the hood of her cloak. “My name is Regina Lordshire..but I’m not here as the Queen. I- we- need your help.”

I looked at her for a moment, trying to remember where I had seen the queen before, but it was hopeless. I tended to forget most people I saw, and she was one of many. I sighed, but the slight movement only served to remind me of the knife buried in my chest. "You can tell me all about it. Inside. I need to do something about.. This," I said and gestured at the knife. I turned to head inside. "And I do think I earned myself a 'thank you'," I muttered as I held the door open.

“You.. probably saved both of our lives. Thank you for that," she said as she stepped inside. I closed the door behind us.

I walked over to the sink and tried to keep my chest over it as I gritted my teeth and pulled the knife out. It bled for a short while, before healing. "So, how did the king get himself poisoned?" By being an idiot, no doubt. I pulled my shirt off and cleaned off the blood with a wet rag, before finding a new shirt. She just glared at me for a long moment.

“He drank something,” she said silently and looked away. “He hasn’t moved all day and night. My doctor thinks he’s unconscious. She said you are the only person she knows of who can cure him.” She looked up at me. “Is it so?”

Poison is always fun, I thought with a mental shrug, or at least making the antidote is. "Maybe," I mumbled as I emptied out my bag. It had contained all the things I used to help Yamani, but now I instead filled it with every ingredient and bottle of whatever I thought I might need. "I'm going to ask you for a favor, though." I didn't normally do that, but I figured I might as well. It was because of her I had to work my ass off to fix Yamani. "Actually, I'm going to ask you for two favors," I said as I put the last ingredient in the bag.

Her brow furrowed. “Favor, is it? You could consider yourself lucky for not being in the dungeons of the castle right now, for even setting your foot in the country you were exiled from. Not to mention assisting an exiled princess.. but as I said, I am not here for all that. As you wish - I can make your name disappear from the list of the exiled.” She frowned a little. “I can’t say I have an idea of what the other favour might be.”

Ungrateful idi.. Wait, how does she even know that I'm on that list? It had to be at least fifty.. No, probably a hundred years ago that I got exiled. "Yes," I muttered. "It is indeed lucky that I'm not in the dungeons.. Though that would've saved you the trouble of getting here." If I had stayed out of the kingdom your hubby would die, and yet you’re threatening me? I couldn't help but wonder why people always felt the need to be ungrateful. I was just asking for two small favors. "The other thing.. When we walk back to the castle, I'd like if we took a slightly longer way. There's something that you, as the queen, should see." Not that I thought that showing her the squalor of the poor district was actually going to change something, but I might as well try.

She looked into my eyes, frowning and glancing away after a moment. As she looked back at me, I was surprised to see tears in her eyes.
“My husband is dying,” she said. “I - we - can’t waste our time on looking at the place I was b- I know very well. You come with me to the castle - taking the fastest way possible - and I’ll make sure to do whatever you want for the Poor District.”

She's a mind reader, I realized. Crap. And I who though observant people were bad enough.. Though she had a point. If he had been out for a day already, I should probably hurry. "Fine," I said with a sigh. Stop sighing all the time. "But if you decide to suddenly change your mind, then I'm not going to help you again. In fact, I'm not going to help your kid, or your grandchildren, or your.. Well, you get it," I said with a slight smile. She knowing who I really was couldn't possibly be something good, but I might as well go with it. I picked up my bag and held my door open to her again. "Shall we?"

A soldier held the door to their chambers open for both of us, and the dogs - which I had insisted on taking with me. I made a quick assessment of the king, checking his pulse and his temperature, and then let out a frustrated sigh. And I thought I was tired before. I'd have to use my powers just to get him stable, and then I'd hopefully be able to make an antidote. If I couldn't find one, then I'd have to keep healing him until the poison wore off. And by that time my brain is going to feel like a smoothie.. Or more like it was being mixed into a smoothie. I cringed slightly at the thought.

"He'll be alright," I muttered as I sat down on the edge of the bed and took his hand. "Some way or another." I glanced at the queen. She looked like an enormous weight had been lifted from her shoulders. Would you look at that. They actually love each other.. Or she loves him, at least.

There was a knock on the door. "Excuse me for a minute," she said as she quickly gathered herself and went outside, closing the door behind her.

"Really now, how can she be sure that I won't just cut your throat?" I glanced at the pale king. "Oh, right.. Mindreader."

I opened my bag and rummaged through it with my unoccupied hand, feeling as if my energy was actually being drained out of me. Better find that antidote quickly. I pulled out a flask of.. Well, really just a decoction of a bunch of helpful herbs. I ought to come up with a name for it. "Now be a good little king and swallow," I said as I forced his mouth open and poured some of the liquid in it. I raised his head up, so that he could swallow it.

It took about ten minutes before I could feel any effect.. Or more like the lack of effect. I tried grinding some different roots, mixing them with whatever and then getting him to swallow that as well. Still no effect. I kept going, trying ingredient after ingredient, potion after potion. Nothing seemed to affect it.. Though his skin was getting an odd shade of green. I wonder if he's actually conscious. I scoffed. The things I gave him surely wouldn't taste very well. "Serves you right," I muttered as I gave him the next tincture.

"Oh, come on!" I exclaimed as I threw the bag into a wall, its contents spilling all over the floor. The three dogs I had brought inside looked up at me, probably wondering what the heck had gotten into me.

I had tried everything that I had brought with me, and nothing had any effect. Whatever poison that had been used I clearly knew nothing about me, and that only left me with one choice. A choice I didn't like. I'd have to keep healing him until his body had managed to get rid of the poison by itself.. Something that could take hours, if not days. I hoped for the first, since I was rather sure I was going to faint before sundown. Maybe your head will just explode first. That would actually be a relief. If my brain didn't look like a strawberry smoothie now, I didn't know what did.

"Wake up, you bloody freaking useless moronic idiot.." I didn't really have enough energy left to put any kind of strength behind my insults. My voice just sounded weak.

I was laying on the floor now, still holding the king’s hand and with a dog on each side, trying to warm me up. The queen had been in and out a couple of times, but eventually I had grown tired of the sound of the door opening and closing. I probably should've been a bit nicer to her.. Maybe just damned her to hell once. Probably shouldn't have thrown that vase at her either. I hadn't been able to help it. Even the wheezing sound of my dogs' breathing cut like knives through my head. "Wake up, you bastard."

The poison was almost gone anyway, so why didn't he just sit up and call his guards? Surely I should've pissed him off enough for him to want to put me in the dungeons? "Wake up," I groaned. My own voice hurt as well. It’s strange how much louder every noise seems to be when your brain is turning into mush.

I suddenly felt his hand squeezing mine. "It's about time," I muttered and let go. I was expecting my hand to drop to the floor, but the king was squeezing it like there was no tomorrow. Oh, just let go and let me faint in peace.

I suddenly felt myself being pulled up into a very strange hug. "I think I earned a 'thank you'," I managed to say before finally slipping into the dark.

Haigha March (The March Hare) - The Harbor
"She's pregnant." I froze. Mani is pregnant? The sudden thought of becoming a father was dizzying. I had always wanted children but.. But not if I couldn't raise them together with Yamani. "I think she doesn't yet know it either." No, she would've told me if she did.. Or maybe she wouldn't. She didn't love me anymore, so why would she tell me?

"Let's show Daddy what-" I stared at the White Queen, and she stared at me. I hadn't seen her in years. "You." A sudden anger flared up in me. Out of all the scars I had she had caused the only ones that I really hated. Me. She was the one I had come here to kill. If she was dead, then it meant that Yamani had one less enemy to deal with. If the White Queen died the Whites would die with her. I didn't care if I died, as long as.. You're going to be a father. I blinked. I'm going to be a father. I couldn't let myself die now. I couldn't let a child grow up fatherless, like I did.

I frowned, not knowing what to do. She was already reaching for her shotgun, and I couldn't use my voice. I didn't want to die anymore. I couldn't let myself die. Whether Yamani loved me or not, the child would need a father.

I remained still as a little girl, with the same eyes as the White Queen ran up to the man I had mistaken for a simple White soldier. "Look, Daddy, Lew and I made these!" The corona of flowers that she put on his head seemed strangely misplaced. A little girl, flowers.. and a gun.

Of some reason I had never thought that Miranda would have children. It just seemed unlikely that someone could love her enough.. She may hate me and her sister, but it seems she's not as awful as I thought.

Brae pointed the gun at me with renewed strength, and I simply put my hands up. I didn't want to die, and I certainly didn't want to kill any innocent children, no matter how vicious their mother were. Hopefully, in the future, someone would feel the same about my child. I'm going to be a father.

Brae looked almost as if he relaxed slightly, but Miranda did not. She was pulling the shotgun from her back, murderous intent burning in her eyes. I'm not going to let my child grow up without a father. I threw myself to the side, just in time to avoid the cloud of lead pellets. I felt it graze my arm, but didn't stop to look. I jumped back on my feet, ready for the next blast. To my great surprise it never came. Miranda was staring at the sword she was holding in her hands.

"Brae," she growled. Why would he save me? .. And how did he even do that?

"He's worth more to us alive." She looked as if she was about to protest. "What would you be willing to do to get me back from Yamani?" Though Yamani doesn't love me any more. I doubt she'd lift a finger to help me.

She glared at Brae for a while before finally giving up. "I'm putting a muzzle on her dog this time," she hissed before picking her daughter up. I didn't know whether I should be relieved or not. They hadn't killed me, but they probably would when they found out how worthless I was.

Brae gestured for me to walk in front of them, so I did, with my hands slightly raised.

"Lewis!" I glanced back, just as a small hand grabbed mine. A boy, with her hair and his eyes. "Lewis, step away from him." I felt the muzzle of my own gun poking me in the back, and immediately tensed.

Suddenly I felt as if my head was being slowly inflated. Images, sounds, smells were rushing into my head so quickly that I couldn't possibly keep up. I true to cover my ears, but it didn't help, not the slightest. The ground came flying towards me as my legs folded.

For a second, or possibly longer, I couldn't tell, everything went black, but then it returned again. Not nearly with the same intensity, but there was still a lot of images just flowing into my head, and I had no way to stop it. I stared at the necklace in my hand, as many of the images suddenly were about that, or contained it, at least. Brae needed it to control his powers.

I looked up at him, hoping to get some explanation to why I suddenly had his powers.

"What's going on?" We both turned to Miranda. "Brae?"

He didn't answer, but turned back towards me and made a writing movement with his hand. I'm not the only one with the wrong powers, I realized. I handed him the notepad and the pen, and watched as he wrote something that he held up for Miranda to see. Her shouting at him while he just wrote was a painful reminder. Will she ever want to see me again?

After a while Miranda ordered me to get up, and I let them lead me to a guarded room in the HQ. When I had entered the door was closed and locked behind me.

I sat down, only to jump up again. Every time I touched something the memories, or whatever it should be called, was forced into my mind. Eventually I just decided to remain standing in the middle of the room. I knew I had gotten myself into a near impossible situation, but of some reason it didn't feel quite real. All I could think about was Yamani.. Yamani and our child.

Miranda Lutwidge (The White Queen) - The Whites' HQ
I more or less dragged Brae to our room, ordering the kids to go play with Adonis while we talked. As soon as we were inside I slammed the door shut. I couldn’t quite decide if I was angry or just worried. Confused, probably. I hadn’t even known about Lewis’ power, since Brae had never deemed to tell me.

“How long have you known!?” I demanded, barely realizing I was waving my sword around as I talked.

”A while - for a year, perhaps.”

I blinked. A whole year and he hadn’t told me? Didn’t he trust me? “When were you going to tell me?”

”I don’t know.. probably as he’d grow a bit older. I don’t think we should be fighting about that now.”

I sighed. “Fine. Can he reverse it?” How the hell can that wrench stand the constant silence? I couldn’t understand it, and it was already annoying me.

”It’ll wear off, but I don’t know how long it’ll take.”

“So then we wait,” I concluded. “You’ll just have to keep your mouth shut until it passes.” ’Cause I really don’t feel like being cursed by my own husband.

”I don’t think I should here. It might be dangerous for you and the kids.”

I frowned. I didn’t want him to leave. He spent enough time outside the HQ as it was. Not seeing him for who knows how long was nothing I was prepared or willing to do. “No,” I said quietly. “Just keep your mouth shut and it’ll be fine.”

”No, it won’t. What if I cough, or sneeze? I might blow up the whole HQ.” I was about to protest, but he kept writing. ”Besides, he has my powers now. If he stays here he’ll find out everything about us. I’ll go someplace where I can’t hurt you, and I’ll take him with me. That way he won’t find out too much, and I’ll know when our powers switch back.”

“Brae..” I drew him in for a hug, burying my face in his chest. I don’t want you to leave. “What am I going to tell the kids? ‘Dad left because he might blow himself up, and us with him.’” Don’t you dare die, I’ll shoot you if you do.

He was writing something behind my back, but I didn’t turn to look, and eventually he hugged me back. I didn’t let go, for a very long time, until he finally let me go and held up the notepad. ”You could tell them that they’re getting a younger sibling.” He smiled.

“They’re.. What?” For a second my mind went blank. We’re having another child? “Oh,” was all I managed to say. I was happy, but at the same time.. I worried enough about Lewis and Alice as it was. Bringing yet another child into this war.. “We better hurry up and get that throne then,” I mumbled. He stroked my cheek, still smiling. “Hurry up and get your power back. I actually miss your nagging.” I scowled as he kissed my forehead and left, leaving me alone again.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Sun May 12, 2013 2:28 am
View Likes
megsug says...

Minerva
"So, what brings you here?" he asked, biting into what seemed to be a melon.

I shrugged nonchalantly. "You told me to swing by, so I did."

"And?"

A little distraction from real life. I wondered how long it would take him to finish off what he had in his hand. Really, all I wanted to do was crawl over the table, preferably if he was on it. "That's it." I said, sighing softly. I tried ignoring his skeptical look but couldn't quite pull it off. "And Yamani is being an ass," I muttered.

"Yeah, I noticed," he chuckled, and as I tried to unruffle my feathers at that comment he added, "I'm guessing she's not resting as I told her." I tried to deny that, but he was already going on, "You know, never mind. She's probably already off to hurt herself or others again,"

I felt like I should probably defend my cousin, my best friend, but then I thought about all the stupid things she'd done in the last day and suddenly didn't feel so inclined. "So, except for helping my cousin, what have you been up to today?"

"Well, I met my friend, who had apparently come back from the dead. Introduced him to the finacé he couldn't remember, since an idiot shot him in the head a few months ago. How about you?" I stared at him, waiting for him to burst out laughing, but he didn't. "No, I'm not making that up."

I tried to make sense of his statement. Only one thing fit. "Did you..?"

"Can't bring people back from the dead.. No matter how much I want to." He gave me a wry smile. "But enough about that. Did you meet any resurrected friends today?"

I laughed. "Not really."It had been a long time since I had really laughed, I realized with a start. This wasn't even a real laugh. It was just a small giggle, but that was more than I had done in years. I studied him. I really needed time away from Mani, or maybe it was him. Maybe Thorn-

I shook my head. This was not the place, the time, or the person to be getting involved with... Any deeper than a roll in the sheets was too deep with a man who wouldn't pick a side. I had a hard enough time making up my own mind.

"You know, you really should be more careful when working for the Hearts. Whoever they've got down in the dungeons seem to know what they're doing."

I clenched my hands, glad they were resting in my lap so he couldn't see. “I know how to take care of myself.” I was just fine before I knew you, sweetheart.

“Yeah, I saw that before,” he muttered and glanced around the table at my feet. “How’s your foot?”

I opened my mouth, ready to tell him just what I thought of how worried he was about me. Though... now that I thought of it, it was kind of sweet. No one worried about me now except me... Either way, the pack outside started howling, cutting me off.

“Seems the idiots didn’t take a vacation,” he grumbled, making me smile. He was cute grumpy. "What the hell do you want?" I ignored the fact that I was grinning like a fool and studying his back, appreciating it really. It was a very nice back, strong shoulders, muscled arms. As soon as this... idiot hit the road, I'd admire it more, under greater scrutiny. Perhaps, I could rid him of that dratted shirt. Maybe...

"Are you Garion Thornbranch, the doctor?"

I frowned. It was a woman. I found myself standing up, walking towards him. I refused to name this tight feeling in my stomach, but I had the sinking feeling the reason started with an e and was green in color.

"People call me Thorn. What do you need?" There was a pause, and I tried to peer over his shoulder. "And I don't do births. Leave that to a real doctor," he muttered. I couldn't stop an overwhelming sense of relief. This b*tch wasn't going after Thorn then.

“I have a doctor for that. I need you to deal with something else.. with a poison. I was told you’re the only one who can.”

I went to my tiptoes and could just see over his shoulder. I frowned at the woman. She looked a hell of a lot like...

"If you don't mind me asking, who are you?"

"She's Lordshire's witch," I cried, barely believing my eyes. I grabbed my dagger, ready to give her a taste of her own medicine, a bit more permanent perhaps. I forgot how angry I was a Mani. Now I just wanted revenge.

"Put that down before you hurt yourself," the healing baboon sighed, but I could barely hear him.

I jumped for Lordshire's wh*re, grinning when my dagger sunk into flesh. I looked up, ready to spit something clever and inspired, only to see Thorn's pale face.

I could have thrown up.

".. Or me, for that matter," he grunted. "Could you..?"

My hand tightened around the hilt. Was that his blood I felt seeping down my arm? My eyes stung dangerously. "Pull it out?" I managed, my throat tight.

"No!" he shouted, and I flinched. "No, just let go of it," he said softly. "I'll pull it out.. Inside. And don't worry, I'll be fine." He glanced at me. "Maybe you should go.. And come back later.. To fetch your knife."

I stared at him, tears disappearing. What an... My hand itched to take that dagger and twist it. Or maybe it just wanted to slap him. Did he realize what Lordshire's 'queen' was capable of? "If it wasn't for that b**** you wouldn't have been forced to heal Yamani in the first place," I spat, trying to think of anything that would make him turn her away, that would keep him away from her.

I caught myself before I said anything else, anything else and it would sound like I actually cared if she swept him up into her dungeon. I just waited as he studied Regina and hoped that he would turn her away... or take that dagger in his chest and plunge it into her.

"I'll heal anyone who asks for it, no matter how little they deserve it," he said.

And I wanted to scream, to stomp my feet, to pound on his chest. I probably would have if I hadn't just stabbed him. I just looked at him.

"Now go.. Please?"

Damn it. My eyes were stinging again. I frowned at him, trying to find the words to tell him why I didn't want to, but they didn't come. I was so angry and so...

I didn't know. I hardly ever know.

I just turned and left, careful not to touch the scum before me, and when I was far enough away, where I knew they wouldn't hear me which was farther than I had thought I could make it, I knelt on the cobblestones and threw up, barely holding my hair back, smearing Thorn's blood through it.
I went back to the caves, and sulked for a few hours, baiting a few soldiers and screaming at them, only to blame them and order lashings. On another day, perhaps if I was with Mani, I would have considered that a good day's fun but not today. I paced through the caves, finding them deserted after four different tantrums, two of which involved more than one person.

I'm no better than Yamani...

I pushed that thought out of my head, finding it more distasteful than I would ever like to admit especially not to the Queen of Hearts herself, and having run out of play things, wandered to my room. I laid on my bed, staring into the darkness up at what I knew what my ceiling but couldn't actually see, and willed myself to fall asleep. I apparently am not very talented at willing. I tossed and turned until there was no choice but for me to get up. The blankets were too hot, but the air was too cold without them. I left the caves all together.

There was something about Wonderland at night... It didn't seem so dirty with the moon making everything a soft silver. I didn't mean to go there. Or at least... I don't think I did. I didn't even realize that I was there until I heard the rough bark of several dogs.

I supppose I could have turned around, but I had nowhere else to go. I was tired of what I thought was mindless wandering, but I didn't want to talk to anyone either...

Maybe he was home. I really should check on him. If I could base a guess off of his state after healing Yamani, and the castle really wasn't the safest place for anyone... I talked myself around the corner and up the stairs, thoughtlessly petting one of the dogs as I opened the door.

It was dead silent. All the lights were off. I fumbled for the switch and carefully made my way through.

He wasn't home.

Which is, of course, when my mind went wild with all of the thoughts I hadn't allowed it to think in the hours after stabbing him. God, I had stabbed him! I'd made him waste perfectly good energy on healing himself when he should have been doing what the b*tch wanted... which was exactly the opposite of what I wanted...

What would Regina do to him if he couldn't heal Lordshire? I didn't want to think about it.

He wasn't here. I would go back to the caves, pretend I had never been here. It's not like I really wanted to see the traitor anyway...

I looked around his bedroom, not quite sure how I had gotten there and sat on his bed. I would just wait a little while, make sure he was safe, slap him, and leave. I tucked my knees underneath me.

It was really quiet, a smothering kind of quiet that made me itch and want to scream. I got up abruptly and hurried through, opening the door when I reached it. Two dogs were sitting there. I could hear the rest, just out of sight, howling to each other. I pointed inside. Anything, even a dog, would be better company than myself and damnable silence. The glanced at each other, barking softly until the smaller of the two trotted inside. The other turned his back to me.

"Fine," I muttered and closed the door. I looked down at the my new friend and sighed tiredly. It sneezed at me and walked away. The click of it claws on the floor was a comfort. I followed it and sat in a chair when it seemed to just be going in circles. When it seemed it wouldn't really pay attention to me, I started talking...

If dogs could talk, that one wouldn't be living...

I don't remember falling asleep. I remember spilling my guts about being worried about Thorn. I remember rubbing my hands as if they still had his blood on them and admitting how horrified I had been.

I shifted my arms, wrapped under my head as a pillow, at a nudge. "Just a second, baby."

There was another nudge, this one cold and wet on my forearm. I yelped and jerked away, tumbling from my chair. Cursing, I shook my head in an attempt to wake myself up and looked up. The stupid dog looked at me over the chair, tongue lolling as he grinned at me. Thorn was just behind him, arms crossed, mimicking the dog's smile.

I glared up at him, suddenly breathing easier as if a weight had been lifted from my chest. "I'm glad you're in a good mood," I muttered and pushed myself up, rubbing my arm with a grimace.

"You let the dog in," he pointed out with a smirk.

"It was quiet," I said softly, searching his face for any new lines, any hint as to what had taken place. It couldn't have been too bad. He looked at ease. Under the relief, there was a prickle of irritation. How dare he look so calm after a day with the Thrones? "I just wanted some noise."

"What are you even doing here?" he asked, "Is Yamani that bad?"

I ignored his last question, patting myself on the back for doing so without so much as the bat of an eyelash. "I was..." I choked on the word worried. I didn't want him to know I hadn't been able to sleep in my own bed or even stay in a room alone with myself. "...Coming to get my dagger. I might run into some trouble today."

He frowned, seeming to be on the edge of asking something. Instead, he waved at a counter. "It's over there somewhere."

I poked around, half heartedly searching. I glanced at him when a heavy silence fell. "...I'm sure the Lordshires treated you right, " I sang, unable to help myself.

He shrugs. "Actually..." I sighed heavily when I couldn't find my dagger though it certainly wasn't worth all that noise. I just wanted to break the awkward pause, make him stop. I wanted him to be grumpy and muttering. "She offered me a job."

I knocked a bowl off the counter accidentally, dancing back so it wouldn't fall on my foot. I started to laugh nervously. "You didn't accept, of course."

"I did."

I froze, bent over to retrieve the bowl. I forgot how to breathe again. "...What?" I whispered, slowly getting up, telling myself to stay calm.

"Minerva, she's going to clean up the Poor District. I don't have a choice."

I slammed the bowl back on the counter, mocking laughter ripped from my throat. "You think she actually means it? Who wouldn't want a healer, Thorn? If I would have thought of it first, I would have promised to help every f*cking pauper in this city!"

I felt him go still. I'm not sure how since he was still by the table, but I knew the moment I had crossed the line. "How are you going to preserve your precious neutrality now that you've sold out to Regina?"

That hurt. To know that I- the Hearts had been passed over for a queen with a good act... Everyone knew her reputation...

I turned and glared at him, using the hurt to fuel the anger.

His expression was dark, and I had to force myself not to take a step back. "First, I don't act for neutrality. I act for the people. Not people like you or Miranda or Lordshire, but people like Rook..." His lips twisted into a harsh smile. "Before the Hearts got at him." He put his hands behind his back and began to pace as a professer would at the front of a classroom. "Now," he said, his sharp voice cutting through any attempts to interject, "I like to think I'm the kind of person that gets things done." He leered at me. "As you should know. Tell me, should I throw my chances in with you and your precious Yamani because you say Lordshire and hs wife are devil's spawn? Or, should I accept a current ruler's offer, so she might actually get something done?" He shook his head at my seething silence. "Can't make a decision again, Minerva?" He tsked. "Perhaps, it's because you know that none of this mess has sh*t to do with the Poor District. When the queen-" He held up a hand. "Excuse me. When the current queen who actually holds power restores the Poor District, what will Yamani and Miranda be doing?"

I crossed my arms, knowing the answer but refusing to make him happy.

"Ten points for the Duchess! They'd still be fighting this pointless war if you can even call it that anymore."

"Of course it's a war!" I said, wishing I could take those words back and replace them with something more, something better, something more clever. Something that actually mattered.

"You don't know s*** about war," he shouted. "You're either blind or stupid or crazy if you refuse to see the people suffering because of this damned..."

"War?" I supplied, with a too sweet smile.

"Neverending catfight!" he snapped, "Nothing gets accomplished! You just kill people and... make me work more and piss Lordshire off! You're too young to recognize that it's childish! All of you!"

I frowned. That barely made sense. "We're old enough to poison Lordshire," I pointed out.

"More work for me! I'll say that I would probably have already f*cked you and bid you a good day if it wasn't for the fact that your dear cousin poisoned him. We wouldn't be right here talking about it because I wouldn't have gone in the first place."

I stepped back, gasping. Sure enough, I was a ex-wh*re, but that did not call for such talk, not to me. I was a Heart.

And he was not.

My eyes burned and I tried to get to the door as silence thundered in the room. "Well," I managed, having a hard time thinking, "I believe it's time I... bid you a good day. I think we should skip the first part tonight." I tried to lift my chin, tried to harden my eyes with scorn. I had a lot of practice with both, but I must have lost my touch because I had to lower my eyes as he leaned against the door, knowing they would give away my hurt.

"Minerva," he murmured. His voice was soft now. "Don't leave like this."

I looked up at him. "Please," I whispered, "Just let me leave." I hated the pleading tone in my voice.

"Minerva, if you ever need me, send a dog for me. They'll still hang around here."

I forced myself to look him in the eye. "I won't need you."

"But-" He put his arm out as I made another grab for the door. "If you do, I'll help you."

A tear slipped down my cheek, and I looked away from him. "Thorn, let me go."

He stared at me a long time, and I just stared at a flaw in the floor, refusing to wipe away the tears that wouldn't be stopped.

Finally, he moved away. "Fine. Go."

I wrenched the door open, letting out a shuddering breath. "Why would I want the help of a f***ing Throne?" I muttered, too much of a coward to look back at his face as I ran away.
Test

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same.
— Kurt Cobain