z

Young Writers Society

The Mystery of Crime: Let the crime solving begin!

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:18 pm
View Likes
Blackwood says...

Jacque Du La'érudit: Died 7th of April, 1953. Aged 65
Cause of death: Unknown as of present.
Location: His home and work office/laboratory, Paris, France.
Occupation: World renowned scholar, professor and scientist, due to present at the Paris Medical, Scientific and philosophical ceremony, expected to receive the grand prize for his recent research and discovery of the instant cure for the common Influenza virus. He was my mentor, my hero, I respected him. We worked closely together and he sponsored the cost t get me where I am now. Who am I? Christophe Lefèvre, boy detective at your service!

Introduction:
Spoiler! :
At the tender age of twelve I have solved a total of fifteen cases and received praise and prize beyond imagination! I know how killers work, and now I must discover the one behind the mystery of my old mentor. I looked around the room. There were signs of struggle, hundreds of potential murder weapons scattered across the desk and floor, the body had been removed, I wasn’t to investigate that until after I had scouted the crime scene and interviewed the suspects. Would I catch the killer in time?

In exactly a month, the 8th of May, was the great ceremony where Jacque would have presented. Was the killer connected to it? Would they have stolen his evidence? The research was nowhere to be found. It could have been stolen, hidden, or locked in the great safe in the back of his office, the mystery would have no end. I Looked back to my brief that was Commissioned to me by the head of police and avid organizer of the ceremony, Mr. Luther.

Below the details were a list of all the suspects; mentally I added Luther himself to the list, knowing perfectly well of his capability for jealousy. The rest of the list consisted of a rival Scientist, also due to present her findings at the ceremony, the delivery boy who made common visits with assortments of packages, the professor’s neighbour, and a widowed woman who had been reported to have developed an unhealthy infatuation with Jacque. A notorious street thief and pickpocket who witnesses say the professor had befriended and taken in for a few days just two weeks earlier. A sergeant who had been an acquaintance of the professor during the war who had recently been visiting. The maid who regularly cleaned the house, a budding work assistant who aided in the professors research. The local pharmacist whom the professor had purchased many remedies off to investigate and whose primary customers were the flu infected. And finally the professors secret young and suspicious lover whom he saw after hours and who had a mysterious "interest" in his work.

The list was long I knew, but I would work had to put someone away for the crime, I needed the killer behind bars, especially before the public announcement and reading of the professors will at the ceremony in respect of his passing. I looked up beside me, my assistant, "Boston" I liked to nickname him, because of his strong American accent was beside me, he was a good accomplice and his maturity and age and skill with paperwork made things much easier. Together we would investigate the crime scene and interrogate the suspects; together we would be successful and put the guilty in his or her place for good.

How does it work?

Spoiler! :
This storybook was influenced by the game “Cludo” in where the murderer and murder weapon are unknown. Every participant will take on the role of one of the characters above and it them into place within the story.
No one will know who the murderer is except for the murderer. To choose the murderer I may either use a random generator to pick who it is or I will pick based on activity to the storybook but hopefully it won’t come to that. I could also use another means of choice. I will PM the person who is to be the murderer. ANYONE could be the murderer. The murderer must NOT tell anyone who she or he is. Anyone who is not the murderer must not tell anyone that she or he is not.
The aim of this story is to have the other participants captivated and on the edge of who may be the murderer. You will add twists to the scene, interviews and character interactions. You may control other characters but only when they are in the same scene as your own character. During the story you will want to add suspicion to your character even if they are not the murderer, everyone has some sort of motive for wanting the professor dead. In the same case if you are the murderer you don’t want to be too suspicious and maintain a balance of suspicions on yourself rather than making out to be completely innocent. All characters combined will contribute to the solving of the murder and in the end my own characters judgements will be based on the course of the rest of the story.

To participate in this story I do request that you follow the rules and recommendations.

Spoiler! :
-You must be active. In too many storybooks someone signs up and then never posts. Every character is equally important.
-Your posts must be of an acceptable length, if they are too short I will ask you to rewrite them. As a base of now I’m going to say the MINIMUM will be about one ‘Microsoft Word’ page.
-You must read all the previous persons posts. Nothing worse than people who disregard the story so far and do whatever they want that is unrelated.
It is advised that: Everything you write has a purpose for the plot; don’t just go on about entering a room and being new to the place, your characters have history! Use it.
Advised to write in third person with Christophe in first person. However if you have any substantial problems with this tell me and we will negotiate.

Characters

Spoiler! :
Characters are based off the following but there is plenty of room to personalize them. If they are French give them Frenchish surnames at least, if they are not specify where they are originally from. Anything in bold is already decided; anything in italics is up to you to decide.
Places will be on a first in first serve basis. If you do not post within the first week of the storybook being started someone who missed out will be given your character. If you miss out then put your name forward just in case something like this happens.

Christophe-Aged 12, Male, will be taken role by myself.

“Boston” Taken

“Commissioner/ Head of police.” Taken
Name: (Name) Luther(choose your own first name.Surname is Luther though.

“Rival Scientist”-taken
Name:

“Infatuated neighbour” Taken
Name:

“Delivery boy”-taken
Name:

“Pickpocket/Street Thief” Taken
Name:

“Maid”[/b]-taken
Name:

“Work Assistant” Taken
Name:

“Pharmacist”taken
Name:

"Young and secret lover" Taken
Name:

Also in your profile include the following.
"From:
Appearance:
Job and hobbies:
History:
Why would s/he want Jacque dead?:
Describe relationship to Jacque:

(Unrelated to character)
Suggest a potential murder weapon to be used in the story: (doesn’t necessarily mean it was used, it’s just a possibility)"

For example.

“Milkman*” *milkman is not a role, I’m just using an example
Name: Bobbi Le’Smith
Appearance: He is very tall and lanky, he has short cut brown hair and a face that always seems to be spaced out.
Jobs and hobbies: He delivers the milk because he is under-qualified for many jobs. He Is a nature loving person and likes to fly kites…(more)
History: Bobbi grew up without a father because he was killed in the first world war, his mother struggled to make enough money for him and his siblings and….(more)
Why would he want Jacque dead: Bobbi hates Jacque because he doesn’t tip him or thank him when he delivers the milk …ect
Relationship to Jacque: Sees him most mornings when he delivers milk. Makes idle small talk...(more)

A suggested murder weapon could be poison in his milk.

Have fun and happy mystery making!
Last edited by Blackwood on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

332 Reviews

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:20 pm
Blackwood says...

If you submit a profile please also post in the DT a few times to prove you actively post!

viewtopic.php?f=200&t=97329&p=1127615#p1127615
Last edited by Blackwood on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:24 pm
Omni says...

Boston is mine
Last edited by Omni on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:31 pm
View Likes
LadyPurple says...

I call dibs on "Young and secret lover"!!!! I'll post a profile in a few minutes.
"Young and secret lover"

Name: Conor Patrick

Gender: MALE! (I changed my mind about the lover being female. The plot twist I have in mind can work with a guy, too)

Appearance: Conor has short red hair and pale green eyes. His skin is light with a splash of freckles on his face, arms, legs, etc. He is 5’11’’ and fit. Sharp features.

Job and hobbies: Taking care of animals (the only time he ever seems to genuinely care about another living thing), and he enjoys old movies. Conor worked at a vet’s office near Jacque’s work place.

History: He and his family moved to France when Conor was only seven. His life was pretty normal until he turned 21 when his mother and father died in a car accident. Conor’s only living family member now is his older sister Sarah who moved back to Ireland after the accident. The two have not been in contact since then, mainly because Sarah refuses to speak to him. The exact reason is unknown.

Why would he want Jacque dead?: “Do you know how much cash that old man would make off that cure?!” Conor screams from my imagination.

Describe relationship to Jacque: Conor met Jacque on a walk home. He’d see him in either Conor’s work place or Jacque’s. Sometimes they’d find other places to go. Maybe even Jacque’s home. He would see him almost every night.
That's when all the romance stuff began between the two.

Suggest a potential murder weapon to be used in the story: Who’s to say poison or some form of medication never got in somebody’s food?
Last edited by LadyPurple on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

332 Reviews

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:33 pm
View Likes
Blackwood says...

LadyPurple wrote:I call dibs on "Young and secret lover"!!!! I'll post a profile in a few minutes.

The best part is that "Young and secret lover" Isn't gender specified ;) XD

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:38 pm
LadyPurple says...

Tempting....but I'll have the character be a lady....this time, anyway! Because I have a specific plot twist in mind mwahahahah!
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

332 Reviews

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:58 pm
Blackwood says...

The list has already been randomized as of 5 minutes ago. The murderer has been decided. They will know who they are before the story starts and after all the roles and profiles are filled out.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:43 am
View Likes
CowLogic says...

The Work Assistant

Spoiler! :
Name: Claude Innocente

Appearance: He is a little over average height. He has light brown hair that he never combs. He is pretty thin and not very strong or muscular. His facial expression is that of a nervous romantic, yet his eyes display the calm calculations of someone in full control of his mental faculties. He wears glasses and denim work shirts and pants.

Jobs and hobbies: He is the low paid work assistant that Jacque hired about a year and a half back. He lives in a small back room in the scientist's large office/home and fancies himself as an apprentice, the successor to the old man. He is into science, mechanics, and engineering.

History: Claude was born to a middle class/bourgeoisie-esque, white-collar family. He had one older sister who became a violin player. His father was a retired war officer and strictly guided his childhood. He recieved great grades in school and was an avid track star. He went through College/University wih flying colors, yet ended up with a Biomechanical Sciences degree and no job.

His family was disgraced that he was not making something of himself. He eventually proved himself as capable in the fields of science by approaching Jacque with his research after a lecture. The old man took him in as a work assistant. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to Claude, Jacque was an old rival in the military with his father, and his family was outraged at his employment and metaphorically disowned him.

Claude is trying with all his might to make his parents proud by becoming famous as the man who helped create the cure for Influenza.

Why would he want Jacque dead: It's no mystery that Clause is interested in fame and fortune, the glory of coming up with this medicine. He seeks to take over for Jacque when he passes, and so, wouldn't it make sense if he were taken out of the equation right away.

Relationship to Jacque: He lives in the same house as Jacque, works with him, and even shows an almost unhealthy obsessiveness about the old man, trying so hard to be just like him. Many would wonder if Claude really wants to BECOME Jacque.

A suggested murder weapon: With his extensive knowledge of chemicals and machinery, it could be anything from liquid acid to a poisonous fume to a blunt injury.
Last edited by CowLogic on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
The course skin of a thousand elephants sewn together to make one leather wallet.

23 Reviews

Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:51 am
littleauthor says...

I would LOVE to be the pick pocket and I would be a girl. I'll post my profile in 25 minutes :)
It's better to be WEIRD than boring

23 Reviews

Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:08 am
View Likes
littleauthor says...

Name: Indie Harris

Appearance: Indie has long brown hair that falls to her waist. She usually ties it back or braids it or it gets in the way. She has misty grey eyes and usually has a smirk on her face. Indie wears a white button-up shirt and a brown skirt or slacks most of the time. She carries a pocket knife in her left boot at all times and is 5'2.

Job and hobbies: Indie lives on the streets but in her free time she will toy with a passerby. She is a full on thief and is very sneaky.

History: Indie grew up on a small farm in Wales. Her parents went out for dinner one night when she was 4 and never came back. She had only found out 2 years later when her aunt had taken her in that died in a car crash. Her aunt soon became very sick and died leaving Indie with no relatives to stay with. She lived on the streets and hitched a ride up to France to find more jobs, she didn't find one. She ended up becoming a snitch.

Why would he want Jacque dead?: She believes that he may be the reason her parents died because he was in the area and a person who had the same body shape as him was in the recording of their death.

Describe relationship to Jacque: She doesn't know him very well but she has stolen many things from his back pocket.

Suggest a potential murder weapon to be used in the story: A homemade bomb or the pocket knife she always carries around.
Last edited by littleauthor on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to be WEIRD than boring

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:16 am
View Likes
Omni says...

"Boston"

Name: Charles "Boston" Baudelaire

Appearance: He has brown eyes and dirty blonde hair that is slicked to one side. He dresses in a brown tuxedo with a grey tie. He is 5' 11". He usually wears a top hat, because it makes him look "Suspicious." He has a small gut, but other than that he is slim.

Job and hobbies: He is a private investigator/babysitter of Christophe.

History: Ever since Charles was a little child, he always had an interest in things that aren't seen by most people. He always observed things a little bit better than others, a little bit clearer than most. Growing up through school, he realized that it was not only his passion, but his calling, to become a detective.

Doing some practice work, he eventually got himself a name: Boston, because of an operation he solved whenever he was younger that involved a secret society bent on the destruction of the American government. Investigators from all around England heard of this, and some clever fellow decided to nickname him Boston, and the name stuck.

So a couple years later, Charles wound up meeting Jacque Du La'érudit, and through him, Christophe. Jacque gave me a deal: Teach Christophe ("A bright young man with amazing capabilities, such as yourself.") when he got older and he will teach me the ways of France. So I agreed (Fool on my account) and that's when I became the age of 29, a freelancer, retired private investigator, Christophe showed up at my door, and wanted to learn all about my craft. He was an energetic little boy, and he knew much.

Two years later, Charles now lets Christophe do most of the work while Charles writes a novel (His new passion)

Why would s/he want Jacque dead?: Jacque disagreed with almost all of Charles teaching methods right from the day Charles started teaching Christophe, exlaiming that they were to "Hands on and not enough explanitory."

Describe relationship to Jacque: Long time friend and somewhat of a rival in aspects, especially when it comes to Christophe.

Suggest a potential murder weapon to be used in the story: Asphyxiation by plastic bag and duct tape.
Last edited by Omni on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

332 Reviews

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:17 am
View Likes
Blackwood says...

CowLogic wrote:Hey. Would it be copacetic if I was the work assistant?

It would indeed.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:29 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

Alright, so I won't be able to post until Thursday (out of town, on phone only), but I really want in this so here goes.

Name: Elaine Delacroix

Appearance: Very beautiful, with long blonde hair (usually tied up) and striking blue eyes. She has some wrinkles, but overall age has only made her more beautiful. She is about 5'10" with perfect curves. She'll wear work overalls when outside gardening but wears form-fitting dresses the rest of the time.

Jobs/hobbies: Stay at home widow/mother of two. Her husband left a tidy sum when he died in an unfortunate accident ten years ago so she could keep her lovely house without working.
Hobbies include gardening and tempting the neighborhood men. Since her oldest has gone to college in London, she has felt more lonely than ever.

History: Elaine grew up in a wealthy family near Paris, France. She quickly learned her charms and good looks could get her anything she wanted. At 19, she married Claude Delacroix, heir to a vast industrial fortune. They had two children, but their marriage was not known to be happy. There was lots of drinking, fighting, and adultery on both sides. Ten years ago, Claude was killed in an accident that was supposedly war-related. Elaine was officially cleared of any wrongdoing, but she did benefit from his inheritance...

Relationship to Jacques: Next door neighbor. She finds him fascinating and believes his research could make lots of money, which she would like to benefit from. They had a cordial relationship, but he has shown no interest in her, which makes her angry because she is used to getting any man.

Why would she want Jacques dead?: In her mind, he should belong only to her, so her suspicions that the young man he brings home is a lover have incited her rage.

Possible murder weapons: Her gardening tools, a kitchen knife, or poison in the tea they sometimes share on nice evenings.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

332 Reviews

Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:37 am
Blackwood says...

So niteowl is the infatuated neighbor?

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:43 am
niteowl says...

Yes, sorry for not putting it in.
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
— Mark Twain