z

Young Writers Society

Time is Tick-Ticking Away

Reviews: 4
Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:09 pm
View Likes
MainxStreamxDaydream says...

Who is Death?

Many say that death is a metaphor, others say it's a simile, it can take many forms, one may say it has wings made with skeletal bones, another may say its an animal (a rat or some other disease ridden animal) but most say its a skeletal figure with hourglass in hand and a scythe in the other hand. Whoever is touched by the figure dies instantly and goes to the afterlife to be judged...

You are dead, You're surrounded by blackness hearing nothing until a voice suddenly pierces the silence. "We've been expecting you. Let's make a deal."

The last thing you remember was dying. You wake up sensing you aren't alone. "Right on time," the voice pauses and the silence stretches on for an uncomfortable moment. "You died, remember?"

They laugh. "I see some potential in you, would you like to work for me? Another chance at life?"

As they await your answer, you begin to shake as your mind is flooded simultaneously with worry and relief. For whatever reason, you look past the lack of details and agree. A cold hand grabs your shoulder and now you're at the exact spot where you died, however, no one has any memory of your momentary death. You quickly examine your body, everything's there and you feel fine, actually, you feel better than you ever have. That's when you see it, a luminescent cuff and attached chain around your wrist, you follow it to the hand of the other person. Your horror isn't over yet, the lethal scythe slung over their shoulder like an ordinary accessory leaves you speechless.

It turns out you have made a deal with a Reaper. They fill you in on all of the chilling details, including the part about being bound to them forever...or until you decide it's time to die again. Reapers special duty is to safely guide the dead on to the afterlife. They also have another job, protecting the dead from evil spirits trying to devour them for power. You'll be doing this for an eternity, there are benefits and drawbacks to that. Unless you're severely injured by an evil spirit, you will never die. You appear to be human and you can return to your family, or wherever you found happiness. However, you will have to see your friends and loved ones mature and die while you stay the same. Also, your very soul is bound to the Reaper you made a contract with, should you ever try to leave them, they have the power to kill you. If you ever grow tired of chasing spirits, betraying the Reaper is a good way to end the contract and move on to the afterlife.

This is your new life, as a Reaper-in-training. You are assigned to a certain squad codenamed "Se7en Sins" which is made up of 7 reapers-in training led by a Head Reaper. You can carry about your daily routine, but at any moment, you may have to send a soul on or fight with a spirit trying to kill you. Enjoy it. However, the Pantheon (a group of 5 gods and goddesses) plan to stop you at a moments notice with the purpose of creating a perfect utopia and to oversee death in their own way. Will you stop the Pantheon and keep the world in balance?

Reaper Abilities (see The Powers of A Reaper for More Details)

Spoiler! :
-Immortality: A reaper cannot be killed by normal means like humans. They can only be killed by evil spirits, or another Reaper

-Ghost Steps: In order to do their jobs without being noticed by humans, Reapers have the ability to step into another spirit world on earth. Everything looks the same, but instead of humans walking around, it's wandering souls and evil spirits. This is where they find both to send them on. Apprentices have to be careful, their power can be sensed by spirits and staying too long would mean getting swarmed by the enemy.

-Individual Power: all Reapers have two specialized abilities, one is something physical and the other is a mental/magical one.

-Grave Dance: His is a final move all Reapers do to send spirits on. The act depends on the individual, it could be anything, a phrase or something more intricate. Apprentices get to make up their own after serving long enough.

-Homeward Bound: this is just a quick slice in thin air, or any other place, to open a portal back up to the Reaper world, where actualized Reapers call home.

The Powers Of A Reaper:

A Reaper has a small amount of power to help protect itself and souls. The main weapon is it's Scythe which is usually, (When the reaper is in their human form, see next section) in the form of a necklace or other garment. A Reaper also has the power to cause seemingly impossible things to happen. Some have caused things from pianos falling on people to trucks exploding. A reaper must use this power with caution and kill only those who are on their list. And Finally a Reaper has the innate ability to heal most wounds, excluding mortal wounds on a person who is Listed.

Familiars:
Your familiar is your guide. It is a spirit that teaches a human how to do the work of a Reaper. They take the forms of an animal and can telepathically communicate with their Reaper.

Roles:

Head Reaper -

Other Reapers:
Spoiler! :
Reaper-in-Training 1-
Reaper-in-Training 2-
Reaper-in-Training 3-
Reaper-in-Training 4-
Reaper-in-Training 5-
Reaper-in-Training 6-
Reaper-in-Training 7-

Pantheon
Spoiler! :
God/Goddess 1-
God/Goddess 2-
God/Goddess 3-
God/Goddess 4-
God/Goddess 5-

There is no character limit but the ones listed above are the main roles, if you want to participate, you're free to do so.

Character Sheets:

Reapers-in-Training:

Spoiler! :
Appearance:
Name:
Nickname:
What was life like before you died? (brief history/optional)
How did you die? (required)
Reaper Uniform: (optional)
Individual Power: (no more than 2)
Familiar:
Appearance and Description of Familiar:
Additional Info: (optional)

Reapers:

Spoiler! :
Appearance:
Name:
Nickname:
Personality:
How did you die?
Reaper Uniform:
Scythe Appearance:
Individual Power:
Grave Dance: (can be revealed later)
Familiar:
Additional Info:(Optional)
Pantheon:
Appearance:
Name:
Personality:
Aspect of Life: (Are you the god /goddess of love, life, sea, oceans, etc...)
Powers:
Weapons(optional)
Additional Info:(Optional)

Rules
Spoiler! :
.No godmodding, No Mary Sues or anybody that seems invincible or not
.There will be graphic images on horror and blood, please keep it to the normal amount
. I prefer FC's [face claims, but if you feel the need to go anime, by all means do so.
.(MUY Importante) Please post regularly (1-2 days of posting), If you don't post for 3 days since your recent post then I have no choice but to remove your character, I'm tired of the people posting once or twice and then completely disappearing from the roleplay altogether.
Many long for immortality yet don't know what to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:06 pm
View Likes
KingLucifer says...

Reserving Male Reaper in Training.
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:00 am
littleauthor says...

Reserving female Reaper in training. (I''ll post in like 10 minutes)
It's better to be WEIRD than boring

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:23 am
littleauthor says...

Appearance: Long golden blonde hair hair that falls to her waist and is dip-dyed red at the end. She has bright blue eyes and a small button nose. She is 5'4 and very slim. She may may seem small and weak but she is as strong as a ox.

Name: Mariko Adams

Nickname: Mari

Personality: She is very tough and doesn't give a crap about anything. She will attack at any second if you are untrustworthy. Mari can seem controlling but every once and a while she will let lose and ave some fun. She is hard to gain trust from and only gives it to certain people.

What was life like before you died? (brief history/optional) Mari lived in the woods and fended for her self, having her parents died when she was 9. She ran from her foster home 2 weeks after she arrived and lived in the woods for 10 years.

How did you die? (required) Mari was in the woods hunting when a man saw her. He tried to make her leave but she shot him in the arm with her bow. The man attacked her and started to wrestle with her. He pulled out is gun and held it to her forehead a alcoholic smell coming off him. Mari kicked but he smiled more and let her up. At the last second her turned and shot her tough the back leaving her to bleed to death in the middle of the woods.

Reaper Uniform: (optional) Black trench coat that hangs to the floor and slick black pants and tank top. She wears combat boots and her hair pulled back in a Katniss braid falling over her shoulder.

Individual Power: (no more than 2) She has telekinesis.

Familiar: A black horse

[b]Appearance and Description of Familiar:
It has a long flowing golden mane with jet black fur.

Additional Info: (optional) None
Last edited by littleauthor on Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's better to be WEIRD than boring

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:49 am
AlmondEyes says...

Can I reserve a female spot for a reaper? I'll post tomorrow or the day after that at the latest. And is there a DT for this SB yet?
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:52 am
AlmondEyes says...

I'll finish it tomorrow. I'm stuck on the powers for some reason.

Spoiler! :
Appearance: 6'1. Thick dark auburn hair that reaches down to the back of her thighs and piercing bamboo green eyes that make people nervous when she stares at them. Since her mom was from Hawaii, and her father was from Brazil, it shows through in her almost darkly tanned skin with a beauty mark on the right side of her jaw. She had a nasty jagged scar going through her right eye down to her jaw line. Well muscled, tightly toned body, but not not skinny. Her eyes do tend to glow when she feels any kind of intense emotion. Her hair turns Silver during the full moon. She also has an intricate crescent moon tattoo on her lower right abdomen, a yin and yang tattoo on the right, another crescent moon tattoo that curves the under part of her belly button and shows off the silver tear drop piercing.

Name: Kaiya Blackfire

Nickname: Nightshade

Personality:She's sweet, loyal, compassionate, and non judgmental.Very intuitive. She's fiercely loyal and won't take crap from anyone. She won't hesitate to tell you what she thinks, which makes her seem like a bitch to others who don't know her, but don't let that fool you. She is. She always keeps a cool head and doesn't loose her temper often. She never jumps to conclusions and she never assumes. She's easy enough to get along with. If you don't have a problem with her, she doesn't have a problem with you. Respect her, and she respects you. Her size and eye color do tend to intimidate. She doesn't have a problem with violence, so don't think she won't go there. She will. And never touch her. She absolutely hates it. She also loves to laugh. She does tend to act like a smart ass sometimes. Just so you know. She's quiet for the most part. She likes to watch and learn. Kaiya tends to be a bit of a smart ass and very sarcastic, though not too often. She's not stupid, and she can always tell when people are lying. Kaiya doesn't like it when people won't look her in the eyes. It aggravates her. You'll come to find that a lot of things aggravate her :)

How did you die? She as walking home one night when mugger came up from behind her, shot her, and took everything she had.

Reaper Uniform: Black camo tank top and matching black camo pants with a whip wrapped around her waist and Sai strapped at her sides. She also has straps across her chest that hold small silver daggers.

Scythe Appearance:
Scythe.jpg
Scythe.jpg (5.11 KiB) Viewed 2107 times

Individual Power:Energy Blasts. Ability to expel various forms of energy from the body. The color of the energy varies on the mood she's in.

She can alter a person's thoughts and perceptions of reality.

Grave Dance:(can be revealed later)

Familiar: Black lion named Simba (yes, I stole it from the Lion King so sue me)

Black lion.jpg
Black lion.jpg (10.92 KiB) Viewed 2103 times

[b]Additional Info:
She's looking for love, but doesn't think she'll ever find it. Someone needs to prove her wrong :)
Last edited by AlmondEyes on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:56 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"What is dead my never die, but rises again, larger and stronger..."

*Ride like Lightening, crash like Thunder*

"Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies..."

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:25 am
KingLucifer says...

Name: Samuel Santana

Appearance: Samuel has his hair cut extremely short, military like. Likes to wear stuff that is extremely light and barely makes any to no noise, Samuel enjoys the alone time he gets. He likes to hunt game, and is a big time hunter looking to go pro. He carries two knives he uses for hunting and combat, a compound bow that he again uses for hunting and combat. and finally two quivers of arrows. One light blue quiver has regular arrows the other is a black quiver with explosive tipped arrows that he only uses if worse comes to worse. The light blue quiver is stacked with a hundred arrows, the black one is filled with fifty explosive tipped arrows.

Nickname: Spirit Hunter

Age: Appears 20 but is a little over a hundred years old.

Personality: Kamil is the kind of guy who lets the group do the talking, normally letting the brains talk and he'll side with him or her. But this doesn't mean Kamil won't let what he thinks go unheard. He'll sometimes even argue someone all the way to hell, no matter the person. Kamil is extremely aware of his surroundings and is sharp to the sounds and things around him, the second he hears something out of the ordinary he'll draw his hunting knife before anything else can happen. He's a hunter and not one to be beaten easily.

What was life like before you died? Simple really, all he ever did was live in a log cabin in the woods, he hunted and enjoyed life as a hunter, he only ever had to fend for himself since he was a Master Hunter. Samuel enjoyed the simplicity of life around him since he only ever had to feed himself and a pet of his, He only moved out there the year prior to his death.

How did you die? He was attacked one late evening by a pack of wolvies that had smelled Samuels latest game, a wolf had come out of no where and bit him in the leg, this threw Samuel of balaence and tried to scramble away, but the wolves eventually caught up to him. Because of his bad leg, it made it hard to use any weapons properly, and thus the wolves moved in for there kill.

Reaper Uniform: (optional) He dresses in camoflauge to blend in with his surroundings when he is hunting game, in all black when he is hunting evil spirits, he has his bow on his right shoulder.
Spoiler! :
13107171.jpg
Samuel's Bow
13107171.jpg (14.14 KiB) Viewed 2127 times

Individual Power: Dopplegangers, Samuel temperarily gives up the ability to see to create two extra clones of him, these clones are blind to. But there hearing and every other sense becomes spiked beyond normal human standards, and can hear where a pray goes. For Evil Spirts he can sense where they are and will be.

Snap Time Freeze: Samuel temperaily gives up the ability to breath to stop time for a limited time by snapping his fingers, everything stops all at once and Samuel has a chance to get away from any current dangers that are about to hurt him. But after time resumes his body becomes heavy like lead, and will be immobile for a period of time.

Familiar: A falcon that scouts the area for enemies, game, and civilians in the area,

Appearance of Familiar:
Spoiler! :
falcon-info1.gif
Samuel's Falcon
falcon-info1.gif (71.82 KiB) Viewed 2127 times

Additional Info: (optional)
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:49 am
wordsandwishes says...

*Spot reserved for a Female Reaper in Training*

I'll be posting as soon as I can! ^u^

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:03 am
wordsandwishes says...

Appearance:
Long raven black hair that comes just past her shoulders. Lightly tanned skin and hollow grey eyes, -so dark they're nearly black- framed by thick lashes. Much more striking than beautiful with sharp features, and a lean muscular frame.
Name: Alice Mahogany
Nickname: Shadow
Personality:
Reserved and a slight bit moody. She's very observant and excellent at finding others' weaknesses. She got her nickname from her ability (which will be explained later). Alice also has an enormous amount of self-control despite her temper and argumentativeness. She tends to flee situations that involve extreme emotions. Which most would find hard to believe considering her immense courage when it comes to doing what must be done.
What was life like before you died?:
Alice was living in a rundown apartment in the ghetto. She made her living as a car thief, and (surprising to most) often left her home open to those without a place to stay.
Alice knew that doing this didn't come without risks. You never knew who you'd find sleeping on her couch when you walked in.
Long story short: Alice lived by her own code, and most found her extremely trustworthy, despite being a thief. People respected her for it, and they still do.
How did you die?:
It was stupid really, a freak accident.
She was walking home alone.
There was a shooting.
Alice was caught in the crossfire.
The next thing she knew was complete and utter darkness.
Reaper Uniform:
She wears a fitted black dress, boots, and a leather jacket. Oh, and a whole lot of knives.
Individual powers:
Alice can go completely invisible. All you can see is her shadow. She also has the ability to enter other peoples' dreams and manipulate them.
Familiar:
A black python with scales that have a red shimmer when the light hits them. She calls her Ruby.

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:18 am
veeren says...

Save me a spot :D
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

Reviews: 3
Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:30 pm
Xaxas96 says...

Reserving Male Reaper in Training. Will post within the next day or two.
This is our routine. Day and night, all we do is survive; it never lets up. He tells me how these streets were crowded with people just going about their lives.. must've been nice.~Ellie

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:34 am
Starleene says...

Save me a spot for Female Reaper!
Jhinx called me old. Rude.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:18 am
AdventurerDaniel says...

Appearance: Tall and lanky, about 6' 3", he's thin with only a slight level of muscle build to his body. His hair is short and wavy and dark brown almost black. He wears button up shirts with rolled up sleeves and blue jeans almost all the time as well as a thin sports coat. His face is angular and he has a scar under his left eye from a scrap he got in to when he was younger. He has green hazel eyes that seem to shift color with a certain degree of frequency.

Name: Reynard Trevor

Nickname: The Grey Ghost

Personality: Reynard is a calm easy going guy the furthest person upon meeting you'd expect to hunt evil-spirits. That being said Reynard is clever and thinks fast under pressure making him an ideal Reaper. The friends that he's made as a reaper recognize him outside of combat as a kind and gentle guy that has his head in the clouds. Reynard is usually reading a book, singing, writing, or playing a game.

How did you die? His death was as random as it was merciless. One evening while driving he was forced off the rode by a man driving a large suv. Reynard found himself unscathed until the. Man parked in front of his car aways and got out, assuming it was an accident he prepared to forgive the man but his words were cut short at the end of the mans gun.

Reaper Uniform: Reynard exchanges his usual out fit for one that adds a vest and rids him of his jacket. The vest is made of a thick but light material that is more durable than Kevlar. His weapon of choice is a halberd rather than a scythe which when not in use takes the appearance of the spurs on his boots. His foot wear of choice are brown suede boots with pointed toes.

Scythe Appearance: Rather than a scythe, which Reynard finds a silly and unbalanced weapon his is a halberd. It's blade is roughly 2' 6" in length with a good 9" width and a pointed opposite end to the axe part. The haft is about 5"6' and has a spear at the bottom.

Individual Power: Reynard can use short range teleportation which allows him to escape quickly in combat or give him an advantageous position.
Reynard can also shoot bullets of pure energy by making a shooting gesture with his hand.

Grave Dnace: (to be revealed)

Familiar:A Flying Fox Bat

Appearance and Description of Familiar: A relatively large bat that spends most of its time hanging from the brim of Reynard's messenger boy cap.
So much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens.
Red Wheel Barrow by- William Carlos Williams

87 Reviews

Reviews: 87
Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59 am
Starleene says...

Spoiler! :
Appearance:
As time went on she had cut her hair to this short pixie cut, refusing to revisit her past life, now she’s a Reaper and takes her job seriously. You can call her a fashionista, she loves to wear striking clothing but when a job arrives, she sheds her usual stilettos for a more reserved boot.

Name: Isabella D’Argon

Nickname: Isabella or Bella by other Reapers.

Personality: Strong and intelligent. She lived during the Italian Renaissance and was born as Isabella di Aragona, Princess of Naples. She is regal in bearing and often speaks her mind. She is used to taking charge and telling Reapers-in-Training what to do. Many of the other Reapers respect her for her leadership abilities. She has gone through many Reaper-in-Trainings and so far has had only one person betray her, he hadn’t lasted long. She may be tough and violent when need be but she actually enjoys her time when linked to a Reaper-in-Training. Double cross her and she’ll kill you though make no mistake about that.

Life before she died: She went on to live a very strategic political life eventually marrying Gian Galeazzo, Heir to the Duchie of Milan. She had 3 children, Francesco, Bona and Ippolita. Francesco was captured and killed by the French. Ippolita died at 7 and Bona went on to live a long life after her mother’s “death.”

How did you die? She was poisoned by her husband’s fathers wife. (Jealousy)

Reaper Uniform: A maroon belted tunic rivals that of the more preferred black by other Reapers. Black tights get tucked into her boots and her silver belt holds her rapier and small throwing knives and she usually carries a cross bow strapped to her back.

Scythe Appearance: Image

Individual Power: She is strong. All she needs to do is touch someone and she literally sucks the life out of them, transferring the power to herself (This takes time).
She is also telekinetic and totally BA about it.

Grave Dance: “Possa il vostro viaggio sarà lungo e la vostra sofferenza essere veloce. Buon viaggio, amico” (May your journey be long and your suffering be quick. Safe travels, friend.)
She will usually say these words while conducting this pose, a compliment in the old country.

Familiar: Wolf she has dubbed Da Vinci (The man was her lifelong friend while she was living.)

Eyes look like this
Da Vinci is smart and wise. He was the leader if his pack until he was summoned to be her familiar. Ferocious while in battle and a loyal companion to boot, she couldn’t ask for a better friend.
Jhinx called me old. Rude.

Reviews: 3
Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20 pm
Xaxas96 says...

I do believe this is a day late, but I would like you to still allow me to participate.

I am stuck on the personality, I'll have it worked out before we start.

Spoiler! :
Appearance: Smooth ebony black hair reaches down to his shoulder blades, while unnatural ruby red eye make people uneasy when he glances at them. His body is tanned, well muscled, and tightly toned. He usually wears a long sleeved black unbuttoned shirt with a red undershirt with black pants.
Name: Laurence Kingstrum
Nickname: Black Stalker
Personality: (WIP)
What was life like before you died? (brief history/optional) Laurence had been living alone for several years, after graduating from a law school. He kept to himself, so no one really knew him.
How did you die? (required) He was shoved in front of a subway one day after work.
Reaper Uniform: (optional) His unbuttoned shirt grows into a long black coat, while his undershirt transfers into red bandages. Around his waist two swords rest in sheathes, or in his hand(s) if he wishes. He also has three chakrams tied at his side.
Individual Power: (no more than 2) Pyrokinetics - If Laurence closes or touches his palms he can conjure fire at will, he can also manipulate fire (conjured or not) to his will.
Familiar: Laurence is constantly looking after his familiar lemur named Zozu.
Appearance and Description of Familiar: Image
Additional Info: (optional) none
This is our routine. Day and night, all we do is survive; it never lets up. He tells me how these streets were crowded with people just going about their lives.. must've been nice.~Ellie

The wince that you wince when you see your quote in the quote generator is quite a wince, I tell ya. To know that the whole YWS community has read and judged your quote is quite an awkward feeling like oh noes. *manly blush*
— Arcticus