z

Young Writers Society

The Elder Scrolls- Divine Calling (Closed)

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:05 pm
crossroads says...

~Anary

"A personal possession must be sacrificed," the Graybeard said, and I touched the ring on my finger. He couldn't have expected us to give him our possessions. I could understand the sacrifices made for the gods, though the one he spoke about wasn't the one me and my family worshiped, but I needed a reason to sacrifice what I cared about. I wanted to protest, when he continued. "Do not be afraid, it need not be valuable, it is simply something you have lived your life by, yet it must be material. If you could all conjure something from your person, we can start the necessary preparation."

I knew that my relief wasn't visible on my face, but I was pleased nevertheless. The others would have thought me selfish, of course, but from what I knew - and from some of the looks I got - some of them weren't exactly friendly towards me anyway.
"Don't let them see you care", my father once said, and I took that advice, knowing that my magic would bring me victory if anyone decided to take it a step too far.

I watched as some of the men and women gathered put their possessions to the pile, and as some of the others declined to follow that example. Was there something we were going to get from it? Was there a difference as to what our future will look like, based on what we put there? I couldn't tell, for our host did nothing but patiently waited, but I already knew I was too curious to say no. I wanted adventure, didn't I? And now that I've finally left home and got a chance to prove myself to be just as valuable as my brother, I couldn't just walk away. Besides, I've never seen so many races at one place before, at least not sitting calmly. It was the kind of curiosity that would usually end up badly for me, but I wondered too much to turn my back to it. I knew I've decided at the moment I chose not to object right away - the rest was just pointless talking myself into it.

I took a vial out of one of my numerous pockets, stopping the smile before it fully formed on my lips. It was the first potion I ever made, and my mother once told me that it will bring me luck. I left it next to the other things - it seemed so small, rather old and rather ordinary. It wasn't one of the strong poisons or potions that could hurt a person, like the ones I could do now - but it was something I carried by my side all the time, and I saw it suitable enough.

Glancing at everyone around - and avoiding the eyes of everyone who looked my way - I ended up staring at the Graybeard's robe, with thoughts of family on my mind.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:53 pm
WartyFingleBlaster says...

Moghakh, Wielder of Volendrung

I thought being called to High Hrothgar would be a privilege, something to be proud of, but I find myself trapped in this bitterly cold temple with a Nord who dares have the stones to call himself a warrior, a Khajiit with the stench of a thousand dead Horkers, a Breton with a smug looking smile on her face, a Dark Elf, surprisingly, with skin paler than that of a Frost Troll, one of those small elves whose name escapes me for some reason, and yet another High Elf who seemed to think we should be graced to be in her presence. The only one there I knew I could trust is my wandering companion, Sorek. None of them were to be trusted until I knew their strengths and their weaknesses

We must have been there for upwards of an hour waiting for one of those Greybeards and I began to feel myself getting impatient. Even Sorek seemed to be dozing, and he's usually the one with the composure to hold himself still and aware. The cat was flipping a coin for most of the time we were waiting, I couldn't help but stare at him and think angry thoughts, the constant ringing of the gold in the air was beginning to test my patience, his impertinent laughing only made me sneer towards him more so.

Eventually, an old and withered Nord, who looked like the kind of thing that should be in a museum, emerged from the darkness surrounding the door leading to the room where all eight of us were checking for weakness in the other persons armour. Well the others may not have been but I definitely was, only then would I know how to strike should any of them begin to quarrel with either me or Sorek. The ancient Nord began to talk, but his dull voice, in combination of the long wait, made me lose all interest in why I had been summoned there in the first place, because of this I missed the first few words he spoke.

The cat said something to the old man which removed me from the trance I had put myself into. I shook the blank expression off my face and payed attention.

“Because we needed something from you all. A personal possession must be sacrificed. Do not be afraid, it need not be valuable, it is simply something you have lived your life by, yet it must be material. If you could all conjure something from your person, we can start the necessary preparation.”

The cat was the first to place something on the large black marble table, it was the coin he had been flicking earlier. He seemed sad that it had been removed from his paw. The Altmer was next, she placed a pearl necklace next to the gold that had been placed by the Khajiit. The Breton, a book of magic. My companion, a ring with the symbol of the Nightingales carved into it. Rather shockingly, the Nord and the small elf refused to place anything down as sacrifice to The Divines.

All, except Sorek, turned to face me. The looks on their faces as they stared seemed to be in disapproval of a Daedra worshiping Orc being in the position we were all in.

"And now, the Orc" The old man said with a frail voice.

The others gave petty items to the Graybeard, the only one who gave anything of any value what-so-ever was the feline. I let out a small grunt and slowly pushed myself to my feet, grabbing a large tankard from the bag of supplies I had brought with us, unsheathed Sorek's blade and walked towards the old man. Almost immediately, Sorek jumped to his feet holding onto my right shoulder attempting to get to the sword I had took from him, it took no more than a shove to push him back far enough for me to get to the bearded man who, surprisingly, was still calm given the fact that a large Orc brandishing a sharp blade was approaching.

I placed the tankard on the table and moved the sword to my left forearm, slowly moving it sideways, making a nasty cut. I turned my arm slowly, allowing the blood to flow into the worn and rusted tin cup. Once an adequate amount had filled the tankard, I moved it to the middle of the table beside the other sacrifices, which now seemed much less valuable than at first. I handed Sorek back his blade, which he then cleaned with a handkerchief looking at me, smiling. The others looked at me shocked. I didn't do it to impress, but to demean them.

I looked back at the Graybeard whilst stitching my wound, awaiting his response.
Last edited by WartyFingleBlaster on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
The best part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:20 pm
DarknecrosisX says...

Ki'Tzung

We had all offered something, all but the Bosmer and Nord, both of which seemed reserved about sacrificing a possession of theirs, however for the local of Skyrim, it was more because of his beliefs than selfishness, yet I did not understand his failure to comply; if the Divines wished us to be here, and they had the urgency to call us all together, why should it matter where religion stands on the matter? I had been inclined to speak out, but the Orc had been asked to present his own item.
It was an obvious reply, his pride was his object, only materialised by his blood- it was of no worth to me, but the Aedra worked in much more mysterious ways.

The Greybeard gathered the six offerings in front of him at the end of the dense, rock table, eyeing the Nord with, what appeared to me to be, interest.
"I understand your hesitation to present a sacrifice to Gods you do not have faith in. This is reasonable. But do you not think that there must be a reason for your calling? We did not summon you, but the Divines themselves. Surely they must be urgent to meddle in mortal affairs such as this, would you not think?"

The Nord paused, appearing to be in deep thought.

I had no religion, unless there was a belief in a God of money, in which case I would be the first to preach his teachings... as long as the pay was good. I decided to silence that laugh; it might have spoiled the moment. Everyone seemed to eye the pale man with hard eyes, yet the Bosmer did not stir, I pondered the reason why he had withheld his own item, but no complex conclusion could I conjure in my mind.

"I would like us to not leave this gathering in the thought that perhaps we could have learned something important," the Greybeard continued. "But if the Aedra themselves put their faith into someone of another religion, perhaps their intentions are much more severe than we might think."

Silence filled the room.
Last edited by DarknecrosisX on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Under guises of jovial chatter;
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:02 pm
Cole says...

Einar

I scratched at my beard, uncomfortable. I could feel all of their eyes upon me, ridiculing me for my rare creed. Never had I denied the existence of the Aedra and Daedra, but I had refused to offer them my allegiance. They were dark, cold, distant creatures while the All-Maker was a friendly, emboldening fire, whose power exceeded all immortals, gods, and deities.

To offer a sacrifice to another idol would be to, not only betray my Creator and Friend, but become a traitor to the Skaal, my mother, father, grandfather, and ancestors of old, my ancestors who were the first Nords to rise up from the snow of Atmora. I could picture the pale face of my great-grandfather when the All-Maker had claimed him at the end of his life.

I could not betray him and his many sacrifices for my family.

The Greybeard was right, however—if the Aedra had called upon me, a man devoted to another faith entirely, something must be severely amiss. In spite of the Aedra's pride, they hardly ever pottered in cruel dealings. Most likely the wicked Daedra—demons—were behind it, but I could only guess.

Nonetheless, if the Daedra were plotting something sinister, as they had in the past, I knew something must be done, or each and every spirit in this cold room would see the death of Nirn. Despite my hatred and revulsion of the heathen Aedra, both I and the Divines equally despised the Daedra.

Rooting my confidence in my assumptions, I knew what I was going to do.

I stood up from my chair and unfastened a braided grass bracelet from beneath my armor. The grass, sealed with oil, was from my homeland in Solstheim, from the Skaal Village. With a swift flex of my wrists, I broke the bracelet in half. "One half will be a sacrifice to your Akatosh. The other, to my All-Maker."

Before I seated myself, I placed the two halves on the table and directed a silent prayer to the All-Maker, to my ancestors, for their approval and guidance.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:26 pm
Zyphlid says...

Aoniax

I watched as the Nord finally gave in, breaking apart a necklace before falling into prayer which made the corner of my lip twitch as thoughts of Y’ffre, the Green Pact, and my people came to mind. I often tried to keep the memories from invading me, but there would always be a time when they would find a way to make themselves known. They caused my stomach to churn and my body to shift uncomfortably in my seat, the day in which I left the most prominent of them all. The heated vibe that was in the air could cook all the Bosmers’ enemies to a crisp before they devoured them like the animals they were rightfully considered. I snorted and kept my eyes on the table until the heavy silence reminded me of the action I was still required to perform.

If what the Divines asked for was my pipe, they would be disappointed. I am not sure what was to happen to our items, but if they were to burst in flames for a petty sacrifice my rage would not be a pretty sight to witness. Many people underestimated my abilities due to my short, lean stature and those many often were left bleeding their life away on the forest floor where no one could hear their screams. My pipe was the item held dearest to me, even if it brought back bad memories, and it was to continue staying in the pouch at my waist whether or not the gods above approved.

Instead, I stood up and pulled an arrow from my quiver. Besides my pipe and my bow, they were important to me and would have to suffice for the Divines. I only picked the best I could find and reused them if I could collect them after my kill. Leaving one behind always came back to hurt me in the end. I leaned over and laid the arrow among the pile of other collected goods before settling back into my seat.
“I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I’m afraid of. ”―Joss Whedon

“If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.”―Toni Morrison

67 Reviews

Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:55 pm
DarknecrosisX says...

Ki'Tzung

“I appreciate all of your patience,” the Greybeard spoke, ten minutes after disappearing to another chamber, returning with a bowl of what appeared to be ash: they had cremated our offerings into nothing- just as my dream had predicted. However, thankfully this was not the entirety of my wealth, so things weren’t as bad as I had perhaps concluded when the old man presented the product of our sacrifice.
Some of the others seemed to merely watch with interest, I may have mistaken some to be somewhat disgusted, yet it would be hard to say; my eyes had become firmly fixed upon what incredible magic this ceremony would result in. Three more of the monks entered, lining next to the still nameless leader of the procedure, perhaps he was the only one who still maintained the ability to speak without unleashing the true power only the Thu’um could produce. “It is time to engage in the seeing of Akatosh; this is where we shall learn of the reasoning you have been called upon.”

“Ki’Tzung believes that it is about time. Now, what is it he should do to meet this elusive god?”

The Nord seemed somewhat unsettled by my impatience, but a Khajiit could only wait so long before his mind became unoccupied and tiresome. “You must all hold a handful of this ash, as the scriptures tell, and the Aedra should appear.”

“Should?” the Orc grunted. “I didn’t come here for simple prayers.”

But the four had begun to pour the fine dust into each right hand around the table. As I felt it pile in my paw, I closed my eyes in anticipation of something divine and enlightening... but I felt nothing. I clenched my fist and opened my eyes.

What met my gaze was a blank white canvas. I could identify no object within this realm- there simply was none. Surprised and incredibly confused, I looked down, yet it appeared that not even my body had followed me to this un-earthly place; all that had arrived was my spirit in all its nakedness. Amazed at this prospect, I realised that I had been like this once before: when I had spoke to the Daedric Peryite. The prospect was essentially the same, but this time I was more than confident that I had been called upon to commit a deed much more moral, at least I hoped so.
Suddenly a voice echoed from the vast white expanse, at first unfathomable, but it began to make sense in my head. Was this the Divine of Time? Was it really Akatosh?

“Yes, it is me,” a voice thundered, a heavenly reverberation following each syllable. No shape appeared, but it was as if I could feel a presence; He was here, but his raw form was not visible to me, or he perhaps chose not to reveal himself to me. “And I have no doubt you are urgent to hear as to my reasons to summon you- and all shall be clear very soon.”

“You have guessed correctly; Ki’Tzung has much to be doing.”

“As I am sure. Your lifestyle of exploiting others for beneficial gain is certainly an essential one no?”

I prepared to retort, but his angelic voice interrupted me once.
“My apologies, it is not my place to tell you what is right, and what is wrong, after all we can only be true to ourselves, you cannot be more moral than that. Regardless, I haven’t much time, so I shall enlighten you about my intentions for calling you here.
“You see, scrolls of unlimited and immeasurable power were created by distant beings long ago, each one imbued with a particular purpose, some being much stronger than others. Some Elder Scrolls, as they are called, have been summoned into the realm of Tamriel from their existence exempt from the dimension you live in, but few have had such cataclysmic abilities as this one. The Scroll of Life has a Godly ability to create life from nothing, and, furthermore, forge worlds from dust and air. You can imagine just how desperate people would be to gain access and ownership to such an artefact, yet they should only be bound by their own limits- being mortal.
“The Daedra, as I am sure you are aware, are limited by no such shackles; their souls are indestructible as far as any are aware, but they do not possess power to create life, and, furthermore, they long to rise from the Oblivion from which they live and create a world in which they rule everything. You understand my worries, do you not?”

“Of course, Ki’Tzung is sure that Daedric armies would destroy everything that is not controlled by them.”

“Precisely, which is why I have called upon you to locate and retrieve the Scroll. A gargantuan task, undoubtedly, but the challenge is not as impossible as you my first believe. Four of the Daedric Princes have the combination of lust and ability to gain the item, and shall stop at nothing to gain it; even if it means civil conflict.”

I could feel myself smiling, but not physically, it was as if my mind had felt particularly humoured and smug that these demons would be fighting with each other. But I was sure than Peryite would not be one of them; he was much too weak to argue with his fellow Daedra. But even so, I had heard of the capabilities of the Elder Scrolls: they could drive mortals insane and blind, and they were considered only ‘minor’ in terms of power. One that could artificially create life was either one of or the strongest ever created. It was true what Akatosh had been saying, the demons of Oblivion would not be affected by such side-effects, and therefore, it was even more vital we kept it from their possession.
Suddenly, four names glowed in unbelievable black, the white folding and distorting around the letters.

Mehrunes Dagon. Molag Bal. Nocturnal. Sanguine.

“These are your enemies, and any that have sworn themselves to their names. You must ensure none of them gain control of the Scroll, and save your world from assured destruction. I trust you will not fail your people, or us above. For your services, we shall reward you greatly.”

And before I could reply- darkness.
Last edited by DarknecrosisX on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:05 pm
kayfortnight says...

Aeril

I stretched my hand out, trying to prevent it from shaking, and watched as the fine gray ash was poured into my hand. The room blurred and whitened.

A deep, heavy voice echoed from the blank expanse. "I am Auri-El. All will be made clear very soon."

I kneeled, bowing my head reverently. "You honor me with your attention, Auri-El."

"Rise, child. We have much to discuss and little time." I tentatively stood, continuing to stare at the ground. I was being spoken to by a god. Perhaps some of the others might be able to dismiss this experience, but I already knew I would treasure it for the rest of my life.

He explained that something called an 'Elder Scroll' had been summoned into Tamriel. The Daedra wanted it, and because of their abilities, would easily be able to reach it. Auri-El told me that our quest was to retrieve this scroll so the Daedra couldn't.

Four names glowed black.

Mehrunes Dagon. Malog Bal. Nocturnal. Sanguine.

Before he could say anything, I commented, "The Daedric Princes."

“Exactly. You know their power."

I thought back to my mentor's recounting of the battle at the crystal tower. How she had seen friends murdered by the Daedra in front of her very eyes. I hadn't been there, but I could compare the feeling to my own when the pirates ripped through my city and killed. "Yes," I replied simply, the word carrying enormous emotional weight.

"The Divines trust that you shall accomplish your task, and though I know you will ask no reward, your services shall not be forgotten."

I kneeled again, and said, "I have no desire for a-" Everything went black.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:38 am
Alvarin says...

Karin Bouchard
I held back an exited giggle. I was actually going to talk to one of the Divines. How I had tried to make them contact me before, and now they came looking for me all of a sudden. I understood why some chose Daedra worship instead, as the Daedric Lords were far more accessible than the Divines. Far more interesting too, from what I'd heard, but I wasn't going to let myself be biased.

For a moment I closed my eyes, and when I opened them again I was surrounded by what seemed as clouds. Pure white and painfully bright. "I am Akatosh, the Dragon God of Time." His voice seemed to come from every direction at once, even from inside my head.

I bowed, not sure how I was expected to behave. "It is a great honor to finally be able to speak with you."

"I have heard you prayers, scholar, but the Aedra do not mingle with humans as the Daedra do."

"So I have been told. Why have you summoned me?" I wanted to ask a lot of questions, but I knew it would be better if I kept to the subject.

"I assume that you know about the Elder Scrolls?"

"From what I know they are more powerful than anything else in Nirn. I've made some research on the subject, but have chosen not to study the scrolls themselves. I'm rather fond of my sight."

"You have a peculiar mind."

I smiled. "I've heard the some words from another God."

"Yes.. I'm aware of you involvement with the Daedra." I was about to explain myself, but Akatosh continued, probably not interested in my opinions. "The Daedric Lords are attempting to obtain such a scroll, a scroll that has the power to create life from nothing. Such powers in the hands of the Daedra would be catastrophic, and you have been summoned to stop it from happening. The Daedra must not reach the scroll first."

I blinked and couldn't stop myself from frowning. The Daedric Lords? Why would they want to create new life? They already had their planes of Oblivion. I had visited Sanguine's realm once and it wasn't bad at all. In fact it was much like how I imagined paradise. Colorful butterflies everywhere, birds that always sang, streams of wine instead of water. I had read descriptions of realm as well, and it seemed like a jolly place. Crazy, but jolly.

"The scroll does not only create life, but whole new worlds as well. The Daedra would be able to create a new world where they will rein, wiping out this world in the process." Meaning we would all die if they succeeded. I was starting to understand where the Aedra were coming from. "I will show you the names of the Daedric Lords whose thirst for power has grown too great, and put my trust in you. You were chosen for a reason, do not forget that."

"What reason?" No answer. The presence I had felt earlier had disappeared, and I was sure that Akatosh had left. Suddenly four names showed up, glowing black in the air.

Mehrunes Dagon. Malog Bal. Nocturnal. Sanguine.

Sanguine? Why would he.. I shook my head. They were Daedric Lords, it was part of their nature to be greedy, but still. I found it hard to believe. When I met Sanguine he was actually rather pleasant. Mehrunes Dagon and Malog Bal I could understand. They were evil, and nothing but evil. It was odd to see Nocturnal on the list as well, but Sanguine. I shook my head again. This was starting to get more interesting, for sure, but also much more complicated.

I blinked, and when I opened my eyes again I was back at the table with the others feeling more confused than I ever had before.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:08 pm
TyrantOfWar says...

Sorek

What the others saw in this realm, I could not say. However what met my eyes was darkness. But yet it wasn't darkness as in something similar to shadows. It was darkness in a solid form, a sign that Nocturnal was close. My eyes could not grow accustomed to the darkness, so I spent a large amount of time wandering around blindly. Had Nocturnal transported me to her psychic realm, in that fleeting moment of my mind leaving my body? I emerged on out of the darkness to see a lone figure walking towards me, clad in Nightingale gear, but yet the figure shimmered then shattered before I had managed to ascertain who it was. A voice, not originating from one particular point but instead seemed to be coming from the very air itself. As it was the voice caused the air to shimmer.

"I apologise for the delay," a voice spoke, one that I could only presume to be Akatosh. "It would appear as if something was trying to interrupt the link."

"I suspect it was Nocturnal," I suggested. "A big cloud of darkness would usually be her sign. Anyway, why have I been called here?"

"One of Elder Scrolls-"

"What are these Elder Scrolls?"

"Objects of immense power and yet their origins are unknown as well as their numbers. All we know is that the Daedra are looking for one of these scrolls. One that can create life itself."

"And I'm guessing that's bad?"

"If they manage to acquire this particular scroll, they will manage to create an army of Dremora that can travel between their realm and your realm, without the need of portals."

Four names suddenly appeared in front of me, black in colour yet somehow managing to shimmer.

"Well, that's just great," I mumbled, dread starting to seep in to my mind.

"Ensure that these Daedra avoid gaining control of the scroll, otherwise the destruction of your world is assured." The realm that I was in began to darken and then darkness.
I want to see you choke on your lies,
Swallow up your greed,
Suffer all alone in your misery.

My Life Story:
Lies Greed Misery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Dq9q6afIP8

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:48 pm
Cole says...

Einar

I reluctantly cupped the ashes in my wide hands and waited. My gut churned with unease, with disgust. These ashes symbolized my treachery to the All-Maker, represented allegiance to a foreign god.

Abruptly, the silvery white ashes in my hands seemed to possess my attention entirely. Their color swelled over my hands, bleeding throughout my perspective until I saw nothing but quivering whiteness. I was blinded by pale light.

Guard my heart, All-Maker.

Among the white, I saw a bending of light, a fold in the fabric of space. The more I gazed upon it, the more it appeared to be a bluish bruise against the light. It beckoned me. "Einar of the Skaal, I am Akatosh."

Unease—a sliver of fear—cut through my core. I spat through clenched teeth: "You have no name to me." It was then I recognized another presence—it was wide, sparkling, and warm like a fire. I sensed it at my back, comforting me with its light and weight. It rested upon my shoulders. The All-Maker was with me.

Akatosh whispered in a unnervingly merciful voice, "Nord, your disdain for me and my kind is understood. Your heart is claimed by another. Nevertheless, do not let your opposing faith blind you from the fact that I require your talent and will."

The white expanse flickered past my eyes as I demanded, "Tell me why you have called me."

"Scrolls of unlimited and immeasurable power were created by distant beings long ago, each one imbued with a particular purpose, some being much stronger than others. Some Elder Scrolls, as they are called, have been summoned into the realm of Tamriel from their existence exempt from the dimension you live in, but few have had such cataclysmic abilities as this one. The Scroll of Life has a divine ability to create life from nothing, and, furthermore, forge worlds from dust and air. You can imagine just how desperate people would be to gain access and ownership to such an artifact, yet they should only be bound by their own limits, being mortal.

"The Daedra are limited by no such shackles; their souls are indestructible as far as any are aware, but they do not possess power to create life, and, furthermore, they long to rise from the Oblivion from which they live and create a world in which they rule everything.

"This is why I have called upon you to locate and retrieve the Scroll. A gargantuan task, undoubtedly, but the challenge is not as impossible as you may first believe. Four of the Daedric Princes have the combination of lust and ability to gain the item, and shall stop at nothing to attain it; even if it means civil war.

The names of the ambitious Daedra, the wretched demons, came unbidden to my mind:

"These are your enemies, and any that have sworn themselves to their names. You must ensure none of them gain control of the Scroll, and save your world from assured destruction. Despite your hatred for me and the other Divines, Einar, I cannot stress the importance of this task."

I lifted my eyes to the form of Akatosh, "You have my word. However, know that I do this for the All-Maker, not you or your kind."

Then, like a great veil, darkness fell over my eyes as Akatosh and the All-Maker left me in High Hrothgar.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:40 am
crossroads says...

~Anary

Like a mantra, passing through my mind over and over again, even after the voice has left my thoughts. I was unable to speak as it told me about the Scrolls and what they asked of me, of us. I wanted to ask so many questions, and add so many comments, but for some reason, I felt as if I suddenly turned mute.

Mehrunes Dagon, Molag Bal, Nocturnal, Sanguine, I couldn't stop thinking. The Daedric Lords. The gods of my people, or at least those I knew of. My brother told stories of the ones he visited. My mother taught me songs and my father told us of sacrifices and awards, and of loyalty and tradition.
For my whole life, I wanted to meet at least one of them, I wanted to see what they look like and hear their voices, even play their games or get lost in their tricks, for they were part of me just as the Divines were part of the Altmers.

And I was to put it all aside - for what? Objects that create life, but will never be mine to use, not even for me to see being used. In hands of one divine creature or the other, did it really make that much difference?

I looked around the room, hoping to find a hint of doubt in anyone's eyes. I found nothing, even though a few others seemed to have some unanswered questions as well. We're they all fine with that? Was no one going to stand up, to say something? Was that what they needed me for, to be the one everyone will eventually turn against? What for? I doubted that the Daedra would rush to save me, despite of who I was and what I did in my life, but if the group needed a bait, a scape goat, a sacrifice, well, who'd serve better?

I opened my mouth and closed them again. Speaking up would maybe make me safe, but wouldn't change their choices. I would come back home, or wander around for a while longer, but really, I'd have done nothing with my life. Nothing to make my family proud of, certainly nothing to make the Daedric Lords proud of me. I looked around the room again, this time making sure my eyes stayed cold and calm, as my face was the entire time. I almost smiled - I've never met anyone as good in hiding emotions as I was myself.

No, I will not speak up. I will stay and nod and listen. And act when the time is right, in a way I decide will be appropriate.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:11 pm
WartyFingleBlaster says...

Moghakh, Wielder of Volendrung

Another wait, this one had me drinking ale whilst silently joking to myself about some of the more interesting characters around the table, much more entertaining than dozing off or scorning at the strangers around the table. The Greybeard interrupted my quiet drink after about ten minutes of wandering off into another dark room. Not as long as I had anticipated, I still had another tankard of beer that Sorek had left untouched to drink.

"I appreciate all for your patience," The Greybeard spoke whilst holding what looked like a pile of ash. There was no doubt that they were the objects that we gave to him. Some of the group appeared to be relatively saddened by what had happened to the offerings they had placed on the table. Sentimental value perhaps? Not that it matters to me.

During my slight day-dream, three more of the Greybeards entered. They didn't speak, but instead stood there silently. The lead Greybeard told us all that we were about to commence the ritual. The cat carefully chose his words to mention the time we had wasted there and also asked how we were to meet Akatosh in the first place. And as much as I hated the stink he was producing, I agreed with him.

"You must all hold a handful of the ash and the Aedra should appear."

The should grasped my attention. "Should? I didn't come here for simple prayers"

The Greybeards seemed to ignore me and began to pass the ash around the table. For something that was just burned, the ash felt oddly cold. Cold enough for my fingers to begin twitching has the Greybeard placed it into my hand. The others began to close their eyes. I didn't at first, I was too skeptical and felt rather strange. I shook my head, let out a small chuckle and closed my eyes.

Nothing. I felt no change in body or emotion.

"I thought you said this would work!" I bitterly mentioned as I opened my eyes.

"It did." A grand, booming voice said.

My vision became blinded by the vivid light that took me by surprise. I was in some kind of heaven. Although I felt no different with my eyes closed, I almost felt warm and elevated in my new surroundings. A comforting feeling after years of living in animosity. "I am Akatosh, chief deity of the nine divines!"

I was astounded, I wasn't expecting this to actually work! Although I couldn't actually see him, I felt as if I was maintaining eye contact with him where ever I looked.

"You seem bewildered. Is something the matter?" He said as he noticed my confusion.

"Not at all. I just feel slightly off, that's all." I answered "May I ask why we have been called to speak with you?"

He mentioned a scroll that could create life from nothing. He also told me about the aims of the Daedra and what they would do if they were to get their hands on to it. I immediately noticed the danger but at no point did I want to reevaluate whether I would stay or abandon the mission. The God then explained that they would stop at nothing to obtain the scroll, even if it means squabbling between each other.

I felt worried. What if my Deity, Malacath, was involved in this. I couldn't turn from the very creator of my race. "Are there any specific Daedric princes involved?"
Almost immediately, my surroundings got cooler and the names of four Daedric gods appeared in front of me.

"The usual suspects." He said, almost sarcastically. "These, and all who worship them, are now your adversaries. You must ensure the safety of this world by obtaining the scroll yourself."

I awoke. Back in the bitterly cold room which I was happy to leave. Some of the others had awoken from their trance, others had not. I poured myself another cup of ale and waited for the few left in their trance to awake.
The best part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.

67 Reviews

Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:23 pm
DarknecrosisX says...

Ki’Tzung

As the white subsided I was blinded by the transition to grey, finding myself once again in the bitter, hard stone room. I had not moved from my original position, still sitting with my left arm by my side, the other held in the air clutching the ashes. However, oddly enough, as I brought the raised limb down, opening my grasp to release the burned dross, nothing escaped, as if the items had been taken by Akatosh- whatever we had committed ourselves to, there was no going back.
I gazed around the black table, a few of the faces still devoid of soul as they were held by the Dragon of Time. Many had returned, however, the Orc already indulging himself in another tankard of whatever poison he prided himself on drinking. Much to my surprise the Bosmer had disappeared. Had he seen the vision and denied the objective? Or perhaps he had cowered from Akatosh’s image? I wasn’t sure, neither did I truly care, but intrigue had led me to wonder.
This task, it is of utmost importance. Obvious as that may be, Ki’Tzung cannot stress it enough: should the Daedra be able to control creation itself, it would end everything we know. But how could we approach a task like this? We do not even know where the Scroll is located. The Aedra would not miss such important features if they knew themselves, so it lies to us to use our initiative and find it.
Finally the Redguard’s eyes opened, his spirit the last to return from the divine encounter. The Greybeards acknowledged his awakening and stepped forth.

“It would appear that you have all arrived safely back in the realm of Tamriel- I’m sure the Akatosh Divine briefed you on your goal.”

I nodded, not looking to see if the others did too.

“Very well. Although you may be excited about this newfound knowledge, it is essential you do not share it with anyone. The Divines called upon you and you alone for a reason, and it is you they trust. Do not abuse this assurance. No one can be trusted other than each other. Do not forget this; it may be the difference between success and defeat, and only you know the scale of change that will bring.”

He may not have heard the message but it was evident that the Greybeard was intelligent enough to realise that the situation was indeed dire if the Aedra relied on mere mortals such as us.

“I have no doubt,” he continued, his geriatric yet powerful voice drifting through the air, that you wish to discuss the situation amongst yourselves. We will return upon your summon. Do not feel you must rush, Warriors of Tamriel, coordination cannot be sacrificed for time.”
And with that, they all left the room.

I gazed around at the faces. Were these the only people I could trust. This was a test of myself, trust had never come easily for myself. No one spoke for the first few moments. All that drifted through the room was silence.
Laments of passion
Obstructed by fear.
Incredulous hopes
Steadily feasting away-
Eating away at my heart.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:55 am
Alvarin says...

Karin Bouchard
I was still trying to wrap my head around the whole situation. Sanguine trying to take over.. No, destroy, our world. It didn't make sense. Not that I thought that one of the Divines would be lying. Lying and deceiving wasn't quite their style. I barely noticed as the graybeards left the room, but the tense silence eventually got me to look up.

I looked around at the others, and they seemed to be doing the same. No one said anything, and the silence became more and more tense for every second. Better do something about this, I thought. It wasn't like I had ever had any problem talking to people anyway.

"Well, I guess someone will have to start," I said with a smile that I hoped wouldn't come of as nervous. "My name's Karin Bouchard, I'm from.. Actually I'm kind of from all over the place. I've been with the College of Winterhold for a few years." Now what? "I'm good at magic but I doubt I could do anything to a Daedric Lord." The others suddenly seemed very uncomfortable. Way to go, tell them we're doomed while you're at it!

I swallowed, a bit to loudly. We were doomed. People couldn't defeat Daedric Lords, so I really didn't see why the Divines would want us to fight this battle for them. Maybe they knew we were doomed, and tossed us into the battle just to do something else than flee.

Suddenly a door flew open and a man stepped inside. He looked pale, and had a cut on his head that was still bleeding. As soon as he saw us he ran a hand through his hair. I recognized him vaguely as a politician from the Imperial City. Well, at least he pulled everyone's attention away from me.

Spoiler! :
Race: Imperial

Name: Tullio Marcellinus

Appearance: 6'1, quite thin and with a pale complexion. He has thick mousy brown hair with more than a few gray streaks, and a short impeccably groomed beard. He's extremely neat, never a hair out of place and never a stain or a wrinkle on his expensive clothes. Most of the time he looks stern, always pursing his already thin lips and strutting around with his nose in the air. It quickly becomes apparent that he thinks he's better than others.

Skills: Speech, Restoration, One handed

Personality/Culture: Tullio is a politician, through and through. Listen to him for a minute and he could convince you that he owns the moon and sun, and that you'll have to pay for the light. No kidding, he has done it before. He's used to always getting as he wants, since no one has ever told him 'no' since the day he was born, and he doesn't know how to act if he can't convince a person to do something, as it has never happened before.

When he isn't talking, or scamming people to give him their money, he's practicing his magic. Magic is the only thing that has ever really picked his interest, and also the only thing where he feels the hard work is worth it. He knows healing others makes him seem kind, so he does that quite a lot, but it's only yet another way for him to brag. He brags a lot.

He thinks he's better than everyone else, due to his name and his wealth, and talks down to most people. When talking to someone who he deems to be at the same level as himself (be it by power or wealth), he'll be very polite and charming.

When it comes to fighting.. Well, Tullio hasn't been in a fight his whole life (if you don't count sparring and duels that has been set up), as he's always guarded by Imperial Soldiers whenever the travels. If he were to get into a real fight, without any soldiers to protect him he's most likely to run away healing himself though he hasn't even taken any damage. Yeah, he's a coward. Oh, and he's also terrified of getting dirty or messing up his hair.

History: Tullio's father was part of the Elder Council of Cyrodiil, and so was his grandfather, great grandfather and great great.. You get the picture. The men of the Marcellinus family has been part of the Council as long as anyone can remember, and they have of course made themselves quite a fortune over the years.

From birth Tullio was expected to take his fathers role in the Council, next to the emperor and the other most prominent citizens of Cyrodiil. Tullio, who was never the rebellious kind, did whatever he was told, and grew up to be a just as great politician as his ancestors. He realized that for every wrong step he took her could always bribe, intimidate or persuade the guards to overlook it. Needless to say Tullio became quite full of himself, and no one ever reprimanded him for it. As long as he managed to keep face his parents were happy.

As he got older he joined the Synod and learned some magic, mostly restoration, as it was the only school of magic that he found useful. After more or less mastering that he did some traveling with his father, to learn about the other provinces and their politics. During those travels he managed to learn a few things about how to use a sword, mostly because he knew that people would respect him more if he could fight. He didn't really get into any fight though, as that would be beneath a nobleman as himself.

When he returned to the Imperial City his father retired from the Council and Tullio took over. Ever since he has spent most of his time trying to make his own fortune bigger and his name more influential. He has succeeded quite well, and is now the one who whispers into the emperor's ear when no one notices.

Weapons/Magics:
Racial abilities:
Imperial Luck (Finds 2-10 more gold coins in every chest)
Voice of the Emperor (Calms nearby people for 60 seconds, once per day)

Spells:
Guardian Circle, Grand Healing, Heal Other, Greater Ward, Close Wounds, Healing Hands, Healing.

Weapons:
Ebony Sword

Armor: No armor, since no proper nobleman would wear something like that. Instead he wears Noble Clothes, a pair of Fine Boots (boots, not shoes), a pair of Gloves, a Fine Hat, a Gold Diamond Ring and a Gold Diamond Necklace.

Other: He's married to the daughter of another member of the Elder Council. It was an arranged marriage, and he doesn't really care for her, so it's not unusual to see him flirting with whatever woman who picks his interests.
Tullio Marcellinus
Being called by the gods.. This was ridiculous! I hadn't even believed in these so called Divines. Sure, I had pretended to pray once or twice, but that was only for political purposes. I hadn't asked for this, and I did not want to go up this damned mountain! It was cold and the snow was blowing into my face and it was so steep that I had to hold onto the saddle to not fall of the horse.. As if that wasn't enough I had already lost one of my soldiers to a Snow Troll. An Argonian, but still. I could just hope that I wouldn't lose any more of them. I'd need them on the was back to the Imperial City, when all this was revealed to be a hoax.

I froze when I heard a familiar roar. The Snow Troll was back. The soldiers pulled their swords and the captain shouted orders at them. I wasn't about to stick around, so I forced my horse to hurry ahead until I had a little wall of soldiers between me and the troll. Nasty creatures, someone ought to do something about it. Weekly troll hunts, maybe? I could even fund them just to show some..

The snow troll more or less ran over the soldiers, charging against me and my horse. When I tried to turn it around the horse reared, and before I could do anything I fell down on the icy set of stairs. Everything went black.

"Sir, wake up!"

I grunted and pushed the captain away as I sat up. The whole left side of my face was aching, and I couldn't open my left eye. I put my hand against my face and used a spell to heal it.

"Sir, we have to keep going, now. They can come back any minute."

I looked around, and realized that the captain must've pulled me from the place I fell. "Where are the others?"

"Dead, sir. The trolls got them. They're eating your horse now, and we need to go before they finish their meal." I stared at him. Trolls? As in more than one? They had killed all the soldiers I brought along, and even the horse that I payed a minor fortune for. BY THE DIVINES, THEY'RE GOING TO EAT ME TOO!

I scrambled to my feet and set of, I didn't even know if I was running in the right direction. Up, I had to go up and reach the graybeards! I heard the captain's heavy steps behind me, even heard him yelling something, but I didn't stop to wait or turn to see what it was about, 'cause I could hear other footsteps as well, and they didn't belong to a human.

High Hrothgar.. There it was, I saw the gray cold stones of the big building. Oh, thank the Divines. If I got through this I'd never doubt the gods again, I'd even pray every day and give money to the temples.

I ran up the last set of stairs, and pounded on the door. I was grasping for breath and the icy air made my throat and lungs burn. "Let me in!" I managed to shout between breaths.

Suddenly the gate swung open and I more or less fell inside. The heavy stone gate was closed just as quickly as it had been opened. There was a heavy thump against the door, and then a heavy silence. I was the only one who had made it.

One of the graybeards tried to help me up, but I couldn't stand up. My whole body was shaking like a leaf, and refused to move. "You're late."

I looked up at the graybeard who had spoken. "I could've died! What kind of welcome is this!? I'm a member or the Elder Council, and you couldn't even bother to send someone to escort me!?"

"The others made it up just fine, and they did not need a troop of soldiers."

Insolent ******* *******. If I told the emperor of this he'd send his army and have them all killed.

Somehow my anger calmed me down enough so that I could stand and follow the talking graybeard into a small room. He said something about sacrificing something to the Divines, and I absentmindedly gave him my wedding ring. Was I really supposed to live up to that promise now? Giving money to the temple. I cringed at the thought.

The graybeard took the ring and left me alone in the room. My face was still hurting, so I used a healing spell again, but I didn't have time to finish it this time either. The graybeard came back, holding a bit of ash in his hand. How the heck did they manage to turn metal into ash?

"You must hold this ash, as the scriptures tell, and the Aedra should appear."

I winced. I probably had blood on my face, and now he'd force me to get dirt on my hands as well. "I'd rather not."

"You must do this if you wish to contact the Aedra."

I sighed, and pulled a handkerchief out of a pocket and put it over my hands. I was not going to touch that. Who knew if that even was my ring. I let him pour the ash into my hand, and then I waited.. And waited, and waited. "I knew this was a hoax," I muttered, and was about to throw the ash on the floor when the room suddenly lit up with painfully bright light. Brilliant, now they're trying to blind me as well.

"This is not a trick, Imperial," came a booming voice. I almost covered my ears just out of instinct.

Oh, dear. I doubted the god would like me very much. I'd better make up for it. "It is an honor to talk to you," I said with a deep bow. "I admit my faith in the Divines have been weak, but I shall make sure it.."

"Honeyed words may work on mortals, but not on gods."

"Yes. Yes, of course. I apologize." Direct approach it is. "Why am I here?"

"Scrolls of unlimited and immeasurable power were created by distant beings long ago, each one imbued with a particular purpose, some being much stronger than others. Some Elder Scrolls, as they are called, have been summoned into the realm of Tamriel from their existence exempt from the dimension you live in, but few have had such cataclysmic abilities as this one. The Scroll of Life has a Godly ability to create life from nothing, and, furthermore, forge worlds from dust and air. You can imagine just how desperate people would be to gain access and ownership to such an artifact, yet they should only be bound by their own limits- being mortal. The Daedra, as I am sure you are aware, are limited by no such shackles; their souls are indestructible as far as any are aware, but they do not possess power to create life, and, furthermore, they long to rise from the Oblivion from which they live and create a world in which they rule everything. You understand my worries, do you not?"

"Yes. The Divines needs the army of Cyrodiil. What I don't understand is why you didn't talk to the emperor directly."

"You're wrong. You are needed, not armies, only you. I have called upon you, and nine others, to locate and retrieve the Scroll. A gargantuan task, undoubtedly, but the challenge is not as impossible as you my first believe. Four of the Daedric Princes have the combination of lust and ability to gain the item, and shall stop at nothing to gain it; even if it means civil conflict."

"I can not do anything against the Daedra that I know nothing about! I'm a politician, not a fighter."

"You are a liar and a thief, and the Aedra has chosen you among all the Imperials to represent your race. Honor our decision."

I stared at the words that seemed to be written in the air, with a handwriting almost as elegant as my own.

"These are your enemies, and any that have sworn themselves to their names. You must ensure none of them gain control of the Scroll, and save your world from assured destruction. I trust you will not fail your people, or us above. For your services, we shall reward you greatly."

And just like that I was back in the cold little room. I didn't even have time to process what I had just experienced before the graybeard more or less pushed me into another room. I looked around and noticed eight people sitting by a table, all of different races. Seems I really am late.

I realized I probably looked like I had just fought a snow troll (a though that almost made me laugh), so I pulled my finger through my hair to get it in order, and straightened out my clothes. I must've lost my hat when I fell from the horse.

"I'm sorry I'm late, I ran into some snow trolls on the way." I stopped at the head of the table. "My name is Tullio Marcellinus. You might now me as one of the members of the Elder Council. It is truly an honor to be here today, chosen by the gods just as yourselves." With that I finally got to sit down and rest my poor legs. I had barely even realized how exhausted I was.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:15 pm
kayfortnight says...

Aeril

Another human. And one who scorns the gods and mocks the summon of the Greybeards.

I kept my voice level as I said, "If we are giving introductions, I am Aeril, from Firsthold of Alinor." I glanced at the Breton, who had be introduced as Karin. "It is an honor to meet a fellow mage. Where do your skills lie?"

She was smiling still. "Alteration and conjuration. What about you?"

I kept my face carefully neutral, used to the comments I was about to evoke. "I follow the schools of destruction and restoration."

Whispering broke out among some of the others, and near me I heard someone say, "That's quite the odd combination." Another asked, "Why does she wear leather if she's a mage?"

I broke through the comments and said, "Now, I believe to find the scroll we must look for signs of the Daedric Lords we were warned of. Mehrunes Dagon. Molag Bal. Nocturnal. Sanguine." I muttered under my breath, "May they rot in their beloved realms."
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

Almost all absurdity of conduct rises from the imitation of those whom we cannot resemble.
— Samuel Johnson