The 37th Hunger Games

Reviews: 2
Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:46 am
ash211 says...

District 12 Boy

Name: Yuri Makarov

Age (12-18): 15

District ( look @ District Information): 12, Coal Mining

Appearance (as detailed as possible, pics are welcome): 6'2", tanned skin. 6cm long spiky black hair. Dark brown eyes, which look carefree, when he is always observing and calculating. Sharp features that always make her appear angry and harsh. Average nose and lips, face is clean-shaven. Slightly built, around 75kg (pretty well fed for a kid from the poorest district), well balanced but can be heavy-footed when careless.

Personality( strengths, weaknesses, etc...) A calm and calculating person, whose thirst for power is second to none. Lacking in social skills and tendency to be sarcastic, especially when annoyed. Does not value help or human life, torture or betrayal to gain an upper-hand comes easily to mind.

History: Born in District 12, youth is an unknown history while the future is still a mystery.

Do you think you will win( why/why not?): There is only one obvious option, the other is not welcomed.

Other?: Manages to say well-fed in the poorest district, curious? Works pretty well in an alliance until he assassinates everyone else in the alliance, Pretty handy with short-ranged weapons such as axes, daggers, swords and pick-axes.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:08 am
yubbies21 says...

Candra Whey, District 11 girl

Spoiler! :
sorry its so long....I just couldn't help myself :P

I awoke in a cold sweat, fearful of today: The Reaping Day. I quickly stepped out of bed, careful to not wake my younger brother, Tonio. On the way to the small changing screen, I nearly stepped on our dag, Ooshy. He growled, indicating that he planned to sleep for the rest of the day, and did not want to be disturbed. I grabbed a dark green dress with white lace stitched in to the collar and stepped behind the screen. I emerged, searching for my hair comb.
Tonio moaned, sat up and sobbed. “Candra, I don’t want to go.” He whimpered. I rushed to his side.
“Hush, Tonio. You’re safe. You will not be going to the games. There are so many children in District 11, and your name is only in there three times.”
“But what about you?” he asked, tears running down his face. “Your name is in there fifty- four times!”
“I’ll be okay too. Just remember, whatever happens, you stay out of the games.” He was so innocent. I was not safe. “You better get dressed. There will be Capitol people there. You want to look your best.”
“Okay.” He rolled out of bed and bounced to the screen. I exited the room and hurried down the hall. Looking into the cupboard, I found a bag of oats. Oatmeal for breakfast, again. I heated some water over the fireplace and prepared the oatmeal, adding some cinnamon, a rare treat that we always have on the morning of the reaping.
Tonio pranced into the room, hair neatly combed and dressed in his finest clothes. Mama entered the room and stared at me, trembling. I rushed and enveloped her in a bear hug. “I’ll be okay Mama.” She absent-mindedly nodded and sat on one of the stools around the rickety table. “When I come home today, I promise to fix that table, Mama.” Again, she was only half-paying attention.
Papa would have been there, but he has to work until noon in the fields and then attend the reaping. He too was deathly afraid. Last night he cried and cried and asked me to forgive him for letting me put my name in so many times. I told him that there was nothing to forgive. It seems that everyone is afraid that I’ll never come back.
Breakfast was quiet, and soon after it was completed, Tonio rushed outside to play with Ooshy, who had woken up at the smell of food. “Don’t get dirty!” I called after him. He shouted a reply and bounded out the door like a jack-rabbit. I followed Tonio outside, but for a different reason. I had to get away from my moping mother for a little while.
Peacekeepers were everywhere, and laws are strictly kept. But I managed to evade them today, and dashed over to the meadow, where the wild strawberries grow. I would pick some for the celebratory dinner tonight. We would have roasted squirrel and buns with butter. Strawberries would be a perfect dessert.
Several hours later when my hands were stained red and my skirt full of berries, I returned to the house. It was almost noon. I grabbed a hunk of bread and reached for Tonio’s hands. “You did this last year. You weren’t called. All you have to do is stand in line, and look at me whenever you feel afraid.”
“I know,” he says, “you’ll always be there for me when I’m scared.”
I ruffled his hair. “That’s right.” He combed his hair back into place.
“Don’t mess up my hair. I have to look nice for the Capitol people after all.” I gave a half-hearted laugh and was rewarded with one of his grins.
We walked towards the Justice building. Tonio got in line with all of the other thirteen year olds, and I finally let go of his hand. Walking steadily towards the line for the fourteen year olds, I scanned the crowd. I found where my mother was standing with Papa. I saw them holding hands and crying. They were sure that I was going.
The peacekeeper took some blood when I reached the front of the line and pointed to the pen for my age group. I found Tonio four rows over and winked at him. He gave a weak smile and held his finger where a peacekeeper took his blood. The amount of children there was mind-boggling. Surely I couldn’t be chosen.
When things had quieted down, a tall lady with a hideous green dress and too much make-up walked to the podium. “Happy Hunger Games!” she squeaked in her obnoxious Capitol accent. Tonio glanced up at me, a worried look in his eyes. “Ladies first!” She cried. Her hand lowered into the glass ball holding all of the slips and my name was on fifty four of them. Her hand swum through the thousands of slips before it snagged one. Surely it couldn’t be mine. Tension grew as she slowly lifted out the slip and carefully opened it. Leaning forward, her loud voice boomed through the square.
“Candra Whey.”
I could feel the eyes of every person in the turning to me. My Mama let out a shriek and Tonio’s eyes bulged as I took a step forward. He stayed glued to his place, but I could tell that he was dying to volunteer for me. But he didn’t, just like I told him to. I let out a shaky breath, squared my shoulders, and marched in line with the peacekeepers on either side of me up to the stage.
“Why, hello there darling.” She squealed. I glared at her with flashing eyes. Taking a step back, she continued to speak, sounded slightly afraid of me. “You don’t bite, do you?” I nodded sharply and decided to refuse to speak with this vile person who placed me in these circumstances. I turned my back to her and bowed to the district. Everybody in the crowd nodded, and Tonio had tears in his eyes.
I moved away from the podium and the flashy lady with the ugly make-up, stepped back to the podium and screeched “Now for the boys...” The lady grabbed a name much quicker this time, and read it out loud and clear. “Andrew Lare.” He came up on stage and numbly shook my hand. I was jostled into the visiting room. I plopped myself down into a plush red sofa and resolved to not cry.
Mama, Papa, and Tonio rushed into the room and my resolve shattered. Hot tears burned my dark flesh as they carved roads in my cheeks. I tried to joke about it. “I guess I’ll have to fix that table after the games.” I choked out. Mama ever so slowly shook her head and held a handkerchief up to her face.
Papa just stared at the wall and mumbled the same line over and over. “I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry.”
Tonio just crawled onto the couch beside me and whimpered. “I’ll be okay Tonio.” I murmured.
“I know.” He sobbed. “You are smarter than the others.” I nodded because words were impossibility over the lump in my throat. “I have a present for you. I made it myself. He had carved a miniature sickle on a small chain for me. “It can be your district symbol.”
“I love it. Thank-you.”
A peacekeeper barged into the door. I grabbed Tonio’s hand and grasped it tightly. “Time is up.” The large man growled.
“No.” whispered Tonio, his eyes wide. He stared up at me with expectant eyes. “Promise me you’ll win?”
I squeezed his hand tighter. “I promise.” The peacekeeper pushed my wailing family out the door. I just cried. I knew that I would never see them again. No one else came to visit me. I knew I had to get rid of my tears to leave the district. Fastening the necklace, I stood and paced the room, resolving to become angry, harsh, and fierce. I succeeded without having to try.
beep

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:29 am
Funkymomo says...

Marina Podd.

I wasn't scared when I woke up the morning of reaping day. If I was chosen, I would be saving the life of another girl in district four. There weren't any 18 year old female careers this year so it could be anyone. I doubted the 17 year olds would volunteer. They want to win, not risk their lives.

I looked out the window and saw that I had slept in for the first time in years. The sun was over the horizon, shining into my eyes through a dusty salt covered window. The other orphans all around me had mostly gotten up, and I woke the lazy rest of them.

"Sheila, Jackie, Erin, get up you lazy lumps! It's reaping day get ready!" They wearily obeyed me.

I hadn't allowed myself to be crushed by the orphan care system here in district 4. Most kids were. I saw it in most orphans here. They had a hollow look in their faces. It wasn't the kind from being underfed, but from being under cared for. No one raised us, they just kept us alive. So when I got here, still mourning my parents, I vowed not to let myself go to waste. I took charge, caring for the younger kids and bullying the older kids into helping out. I know I've helped my life at least.

I get dressed quickly in the faded, patched dress specifically for reapings. It had probably been worn by 36 other girls this day, it was so old. I left the building and walked through the town to the town center, where the reaping was. I hurried through the finger pricking and organized nonsense to get in my group. I ignored all the proceedings, instead weaving a net out of my hair, until we got to the actual reaping.

"Ladies first!" I crossed my fingers hoping it wasn't one of the community home kids. I didn't want to have to deal with more dread and sorrow than usual.

"Marina Podd"

It didn't sink in for a moment, then I realized, that's me. I was going to die within the next few weeks, forced to loose my humanity by killing others to attempt survival, but we all new the careers won, and I wasn't a career. I laughed. Might as well look tough for the cameras. Or maybe crazy.

"You talkin' to me?" I yelled, filled with a crazy type of laughter.

"Are you Marina Podd?"

"Yeah, but I don't want to go to the capital, so pick someone else." The whole town gasped and I just kept laughing.

Peacekeepers pushed me towards to podium and I walked obediently. Halfway there, I realized I'd never see my community home kids again. They couldn't all see me in the hour for friends and family.

"Wait! James! Mari! Eve! All you guys, I love you!" I turned back to see all their faces filled with tears. At least I was loved.

"Save it for later," A buff peacekeeper said.

"I got to the stage and was at the verge of tears, but I wouldn't let the gamemakers see my cry by their doing. I steadied myself and looked out at the ocean. Bye, I thought.

Then they picked some career guy. I said goodbye to my family at the community home and tried to block it all out and focused on game strategy. The girl from district four was going to make a splash this games.
Light one candle instead of cursing the darkness.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:57 pm
Elinor says...

Emilie

Reaping day had finally arrived, and all was still in District 2. Emilie woke up at dawn ate a small but hearty breakfast; a scrambled egg, two pieces of bacon, and a mug filled generously with coffee. The reaping was at noon, and Emilie wanted to make sure she had a chance both get in one last little bit of training as well as say goodbye to her loved ones. Whether she was actually reaped or she had to volunteer, she knew that she would be District 2's female tribute this year; Kylie and Maeve were still seventeen; Maeve wanted a little more time to think about whether or not she wanted to volunteer, and Kylie was pretty sure she did but wanted the extra year to train. At school she'd heard no other girls talk about volunteering, so she was sure she would have a good chance.

Emilie ate her breakfast and changed into a lacy green blouse, black cargo pants, and ankle length leather boots she always wore. She applied make-up and tied her hair into a loose knot. She looked fierce, but still feminine and suitable for reaping day.

She slung her knapsack with all of her training gear over her shoulder and left a brief note for her family.

Gone to training/spend time with Kylie and Maeve. Be back here around 11:30 and we can all walk over together.

- Emilie

She didn't mention anything about the fact that she would visit Titus as well. For whatever reason, her parents were completely fine with her spending time with female friends. But when Titus had come into the picture, they hadn't necessarily disallowed her to spend time with him, but they'd frowned on the relationship, telling her that wasting time with boys was counter-intuitive to training. Emilie didn't care-- she loved Titus, and in the chance that she did up dying in the games she wouldn't have gone through her life never having had anyone.

While she was pretty confident in her abilities to win, there was a part of her deep down that was extremely frightened. There were twenty-three other contestants, and some of them--especially the people that would become her allies--might end up proving to be formidable competition. Perhaps if she didn't have anyone, she might might be a little less worried about not coming home. But she had to silence her fears. She would win. She had to.

Emilie left her house and started down the mile-long trek to the training center, which sat somewhat secluded between villages but equally accessible for everyone who used it. There was no one else there. First she practiced for about fifteen minutes with her brass knuckles on a dummy, then she moved to her mace. Emilie was pretty good at zoning out while she was training, but as the hours inched closer to the reaping she couldn't help the uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach. Let it go, Emilie thought.

At eight, she packed away her things and headed toward Maeve's house, where she and Kylie and Emilie would all hang out a little bit before the Games.

"Emilie, you're going to be so brilliant," Maeve said as they were all sitting in the living room with fruit salads that her mother had made.

"Make us proud, Em. We'll be watching you the whole way," Kylie added.

"Thanks," Emilie said. They chatted for a while about insignificant, stupid things, but Emilie just enjoyed the last little bit of innocence she could have with her friends. While she'd watched the games every year since she was little and had absorbed every detail, competing in ought to have things in store that she would have no way of imagining. She looked at the clock, and realized that it was ten and that she promised she would meet Titus in town. "I have to go."

"Have fun with Titus."

"See you at the reaping."

They met at the town square, at a bench beside the fountain. When she arrived Titus was already there. Emilie sat down and kissed him.

"Hi," Titus said. "Excited?"

"A little. I just can't believe it's finally happening." She didn't tell him that deep down, in the pit of her stomach, she was afraid that she'd never see him again. Still, if she didn't volunteer today, she would regret it for the rest of her life. It was her last year of eligibility. She'd been training for this for practically all of her life. Her parents would also practically disown her if she didn't end up going this year.

"Emilie, you're going to be magnificent. You'll win. I know you will. You're one of the oldest and most skilled girls in District 2 that are eligible this year."

"I guess," Emilie said. She was just glad that he was nineteen and his eligibility had passed. He'd trained for the games too, but his parents weren't as strict about it--that is, he wasn't in the same situation as Emilie--and he'd always been too scared to volunteer. She couldn't imagine going to the arena and having to face him as her competitor.

They spent their last little bit of time together and grabbed lunch-- tuna fish sandwiches and avocado salad--in town before it was time to go their separate ways.

"See you at the reaping," Titus said before kissing her goodbye.

When she arrived back at home, her parents and younger brother were all ready to go. She noticed that her brother was wearing nicer clothes than normal. He was thirteen, so he was technically eligible, but the chances of his name getting called were slim to none. Besides, there were a couple of seventeen and eighteen year olds she was sure would volunteer in his stead if were to be called.

Her mom hugged her. "We're so proud of you, Emilie. All your hard work is finally going to pay off."

"What's it like, mom? The games, I mean."

"At first, it's overwhelming. Once you get to the arena, it's a breeze at first. It starts to get intense when the playing field gets down to a few competitors, but you'll win, Emilie, I know you will."

They walked silently to the Justice Building for the reaping, where families were already starting to file in. Their parents said goodbye to their two children and Emilie and Titus signed in to their respective areas. Emilie waited with the other eighteen year old females through all the boring stuff. When it finally came to the reaping, Emilie held her breath.

Ladies first, as always.

A name was drawn. It wasn't hers.

"I volunteer," she said in a raspy voice, before making her way up to the stage.

"What's your name dear?" asked the gaudy capitol lady.

"Emilie Cray."

"Best of luck to you, dear." Then she did the boys. It was some kid from another village that she didn't know. She thought they went to the same school, but they never talked.

"Best of luck to our tributes from District 2!"

They shook hands. Made their way to the rooms where goodbyes would be said. Kylie and Maeve came in briefly, gave hugs. Her family told her to make them proud. Titus kissed her and told her that he loved her and that he'd be betting on her.

At long last, they boarded the train. She was going to the Capitol.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:13 am
VampireSenshi says...

Andrew Lare / District 11

Reaping day was very interesting compared to most other days in District 11, since it wasn't required that everyone get up early and go to the fields it was much softer (If you could describe a morning like that). Dad really splurged and got us some eggs and bacon for the morning. My sister and I were very grateful. You could tell that he was tense, he certainly wasn't ready to let me and little Samantha go; even if there was only a one in a pretty large integer that either of us were to be picked. I wasn't in more than five times, we didn't need much support. And Sam was only in there once, it was her second year.
We got dressed up really special and made our way with the crowd of people to the city center. I saw my friend Pudge was there to greet me with the crowd of other guys our age.

"You're gonna get picked Andrew, I know it." He laughed, punching me in the shoulder.

"You wish!" I laugh. I wasn't afraid of getting picked, I would be a pretty fair match for some of the other tributes they could throw at me in the arena no matter the environment, I guess you could call survival tactics over a large variation in environments a small advantage for District 11. But part of me didn't want to be separated from Sam and My dad. She was small, and frankly my dad wasn't the best person to be raising small girls.

The woman from the capitol half walked, half skipped up to the podium. She gave a short speech about why we were all here and showed the movie just like every year. And then she said that it was time to pick the tributes. She said girls first.

The girl was picked, she didn't have a very tremendous reaction.

"Boys Next!" Pudge punched me in the shoulder again.

Here we go...

Her hand dove into the large round glass ball that held all the names of the guys. She dug around for about ten seconds and then picked the small piece of paper.

"Andrew Lare?" she said in her annoyingly high pitched Capitol accent.

Everyone was silent for almost a minute, people around looked at me with red faces. I look over at Pudge, his face has turned a pale shade of white.

I don't know what comes over me, a small sound like the hiccups you get when you cry comes from my mouth. What would happen to Sam? And my Father? He'd be crushed, probably depressed. I was in a dark place for what seemed like an eternity.

And then the laughter.

Loud, genuine, hysterical laughter.

People must think I'm insane as I walk up to the stage and up to the podium, laughing my butt off. I numbly shake the girls hand, still trembling with insane laughter. I can't read her expression.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Our Tributes!" She raises our hands, I'm smiling.

Nothing, no words, no applause, not a sound. Even the mockingjays that almost always seem to be singing in our forests have quieted.

The next few days are a blur, I can vaguely remember my dad and Sam holding me in the tribute room for almost an hour as they cried. But then. Nothing.

I awake of the train, heading to the capitol. I force myself to get up and shower. And head to breakfast. There are quite a few mentors that lounge in the breakfast and bar car, most of them surprisingly drunk or mentally incapacitated; seemingly decimated by the PTSD they earned when they became victors of their different years.

They really had nothing of worth to give to me as advice that I didn't already know, stay warm, find water and shelter, stock up weapons, trust no one. I chuckled when an elderly dark skinned woman simply coughed and said,

"Just pray child, just... pray."
<YWS>
<NE1>

NIGHT is always watching...

170 Reviews

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:40 am
yubbies21 says...

The morning sun rose and lighted the dreary world. “Today’s the day.” I mumbled under my breath. Lifting myself out of bed was in itself, a chore. I raced down the stairs outside my bedroom door and down to the kitchen. “Hi, Mum.”
“Good morning, Angus. Good luck at the reaping.”
“I’ll be fine Mum. Only one slip has my name on it.” I rolled my eyes and sat down the eat breakfast, a hunk of hardy bread and half an apple.
“I know,” she sighed, “but it’s my job to be worried for you.”
A deep laugh entered my throat and boomed into the room. “I’m safe, don’t you worry.”
She nodded and grinned. “You better hurry up if you want to visit Jessy and make it there on time.”
“Alright.” I leapt out the door and started off on a steady pace towards Jessy’s house. Very soon I was dragging my feet and puffing, due to my asthma.
I entered her house and found her scrubbing laundry in the kitchen. “Hey there,” called Jessy in her sweet, quiet voice, “I love you.”
I grabbed her soapy hands in mine and kissed her cheek. “Hi Jessy. I love you too.” She was still in her work clothes, not yet ready for the reaping. “What are you wearing to the reaping?” I asked, eyeing her clothes. She acquired a mischievous glint in her eyes.
“Why do you ask?”
“Because you look beautiful all the time, no matter what you’re wearing.” She grinned and pushed back her long brown hair with soapy hands.
“Well then, maybe I won’t change clothes to go the reaping.” She reached for a towel and dried her hands. Then she reached for me and I held her in a long hug. “I love you.” She whispered. I replied like wise and promised to meet her after the reaping.
Dashing out the door, I turned to the direction of the Justice building, still wheezing from my asthma. I reached The Justice Building in the nick of time, and got into my line as quickly as possible. When all of the testing was done, I patiently stood among the other seventeen year-old males in my district. I spotted my friend, Harvey Adams.
“Happy Hunger Games!” He whispered sarcastically into my ear. I would have answered. But at that moment, a stick-like man dressed in a purple suit rose to the platform.
“Welcome District 5, to Reaping Day.” Harvey shrunk down. I was worried for him because his name was on twelve slips when mine was only on one. “The Games are a way to commemorate peace among the districts,” he droned, “and to kick off the reaping is the annual games clip.” The short movie was aired, but nobody paid attention. Harvey and I talked together.
“You nervous?” Harvey asked.
“Only for you.” I replied. Harvey nodded and grinned.
“I wouldn’t last a second in an arena.”
“That’s right, you wouldn’t!” I chuckled. Harvey was very small; his head only reached my shoulder, and he was very light. I glanced over at Jessy who had arrived in soapy work clothes, suds still stuck in her hair. She turned and winked at me. I sighed and grinned.
The movie finished and the ugly capitol man returned to the stand. “Ladies first.” He reached for a slip, grabbed one and read it aloud. A tiny, sobbing girl was lead to the stage. “Now for the boys.” The capitol man grinned. “Aren’t the games so exciting?” No one in the audience replied. He frowned and turned to grasp a slip.
“It won’t be you, Harvey, there are lots of slips.”
“Angus Weavers.”
Harvey and I dropped our jaws. “It can’t be you....” Harvey sputtered. I took a step forward and found I was held back by Harvey’s gentle grip. “You can’t go.” He whispered. “Run out of the district, now!”
“Are you crazy?” I shrugged him off and continued up to the stage. My mouth went dry and my head began to spin. This could not be happening. Mounting the stage, I slipped and grabbed the rail. I was a nervous wreck. Peering out into the stage I found Jessy standing with all the other female sixteen year-olds. She was staring straight at me with a look of pure horror and shock. I trained my gaze on a lone tree far away from the stage.
“Why don’t you shake hands with your fellow tribute?” the stick-like man asked. I turned to the little girl. She cowered away, afraid.
I won’t hurt you. I mouthed to her. She nodded and stuck out her hand. Holding it gently, I shook it a couple times.
“Happy Hunger Games!” shouted the announcer. We were rushed up a creaky elevator and were directed into separate rooms. My mother burst through the doors, tears like shards of glass cutting her face.
“I never told you,” she whispered, “but your father was a tribute too.” I gasped. This was impossible, but the more I thought about it, the more true it seemed. My mother had always said my Dad died right after I was born and he turned 18. “His district symbol was this, a silver pin with a lightning bolt through it. I want you to carry it into the arena with you.”
“Tell me more of my father.”
“You look just like him, even your tattoo. All of the young men in your father’s family received that tattoo as a child. Damon, your father that is, took life as a joke, and accepted what life brought him, exactly like you.”
“I love you mom.”
“I love you too.” she whispered. “Please, do what it takes to survive. Your Father refused to kill, so a tribute beheaded him. Kill if you must, but do not revel in it.”
“I don’t want to die, but I believe that human life is to be protected. I will refuse to kill.” Her tears strengthened, and I cried with her. A few minutes later a peacekeeper ushered my heart-broken mother out the door.
A wide-eyed Harvey entered the room. “Crawl out the window.” He instructed.
“As much as I want to, I can’t.”
Silver tears danced on his face. “Then you have to win!”
“I’ll try.” I promised.
“Okay,” he sighed.
“Don’t sweat Harvey! When I come home you and your family can live in The Victor’s Village with me!” His eyes resumed their joyous light.
“I’ll miss you.”
“I’ll miss you too. See you soon.” Harvey left the quiet visiting room.
“Jessy!” I cried when she nervously stepped into the room, suds still stuck in her hair. “I love you so much.” She fell into my arms and sobbed.
“I love you so much, I don’t want to lose you!”
“I have to go, I have no choice.”
“I know” she sobbed.
“I swear that I’ll come back. When I do, we’ll get married, I promise.”
“Of course we will.” A watery smile graced her face. “I’m betting on you.”
beep

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:08 pm
Sapi says...

Astra Lee

I was up at dawn the morning of the reaping, collecting greens for breakfast from my tiny garden out back. It was especially brisk out at five thirty in the morning, and I pulled my thin jacket repeatedly around myself tightly. Dad was still sleeping, and I had the place to myself after I had cooked the small amount of fresh vegetables I had dug from the earth. I don't know why I woke up so early, but it was still well before seven, and I had already made breakfast. Leaving the dish on the table for Dad in case he woke up before I got back, I went out the door and straight into the forest, making my way deep in until I reached a part untouched by axes or chainsaws. I scrambled immediately into the tree I had spent all yesterday in, studying the woodpecker that lived there. He had just moved in, and was making a downright racket of it, but I didn't mind. His flame red back was enough to captivate me for hours.

Something was missing. I took up a sitting position in a low branch of the large oak, but the familiar tack-tack, tack-tack of the woodpecker's beak was absent. I looked up. No bird to be seen, besides the common warblers that were everywhere in the forest. That was odd. I decided to wait and see if it would come back. After all, I had nothing better to do. I layer my head back against the bark, carefully placing my legs out of the sun, and sat still.

"Astra? Astra! Where are you?" called a voice, startling me awake. "Astra? You there?" I sat straight up, looking around for the source of the voice. Behind me, I saw Dad. He was the one shouting my name.

"I'm here!" I replied. I must have fallen asleep. I looked at my watch. I nearly fell off the branch. Eleven thirty??? How long had I been sitting here, sleeping? I scrambled down the oak, scraping my arm in my haste to get down.

"My God, Astra, you've practically given me a heart attack! Come on, it's reaping day, remember?  We have to be in town by twelve!"

I was already stumbling my way over the roots to get to him.  "I know! I'm so sorry, I don't know what came over me."

He shook his head.  "Always by yourself.  But this isn't the time.  Let's go, or we'll miss the reaping. And look at you! You haven't even changed clothes yet!"

We jogged back through the forest, huffing from the effort.   I rushed into our little cottage, dashing to my room to pull on the embroidered purple dress I had laid out neatly the night before.   I ran a comb through my black, all-too-straight hair and slipped my feet into black boots before running back out the door with Dad to get to the Justice Building in time.  Eleven fifty-three...

We were in time.  I got in line, got my finger pricked, and crowded in with the other 13-year-old District 7 girls.  All of them were taller than me.  My name was only in once, though it was my second year.   My Dad and I didn't need extra food, what with my foraging and garden.  I wasn't worried.  I felt sorry for some of the girls around me, though.  They weren't as lucky as I was, and had to put their name in more times to help their families.  I turned my attention to the podium.  

"And now for the moment you've all been waiting for!" giggled the obnoxiously red-garbed Capitol woman.  "the 37th Hunger Games reaping for District 7. Ladies first, of course!"

She thrust her ruby-encrusted hand into the large glass bowl, fishing around in the sea of papers.  She took one out, and cleared her throat.

"Astra Lee."

It was so unexpected I didn't register it at first.  I stood there for a few seconds, wondering why no one was walking up to the podium.  Whispers started up around me.  Several people turned to stare at me.  

"Astra, dear? Are you out there? Come now, we don't have all day." squealed the Capitol woman from the podium. 

I was at the podium before I knew my legs had carried me there.  Several Peacekeepers were right behind me.  Had they pushed me there? I didn't know. I stared blankly in front of me as the bright red-clothed woman beside me called up a boy I didn't know to the stage.  

Sometime later, I ended up inside.  I was in a small room, with no furniture but a long wooden bench.  I looked down.  My skirt was all wrinkled.  I smoothed it.  

Suddenly, the door opened and my father burst in.  No words were spoken.  He dashed inside and picked me up easily, capturing me in a bear hug.  After a few seconds, he started shaking a little.  I realized he was sobbing.  That was when it hit me.  I would probably die in the next month.  I gently pushed away, and Dad lowered me.  I looked up at him.  

"I'll be alright," I croaked, "I promise.  You know how well I can hide.  Look at me! I'm so small.  They'll never find me.  I can live off the land, as long as there's a forest.  Don't worry.". I tried to smile, but it ended up a grimace.  

He wiped his tears and nodded.  "That's right, Astra.  You'll be fine.". He looked determined not to cry again.  But then the Peacekeepers came and took him away.  

I was alone.  

He was alone.  
New to YWS? Check out The Buddy System!

Want to know what's going on around here? Visit Squills - the YWS News

Join The Storybook Revolution...Help revive the Storybooks!

30 Reviews

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:05 pm
View Likes
Alvarin says...

Spoiler! :
I changed Jade's age to 18.

Jade Silverman - District 1
I climbed up the tree and snuck into my bedroom through the window, that I had left open, and put my bow and quiver in the wardrobe. I had barely had time to take my boots and jacket of before I heard a knock on the door.

"Breakfast, hurry up. Sword practice when you're done." It was my father. I knew he would order me to use these last hours to practice with a sword, but I preferred long range weapons, always had and always would, so I had snuck out before sunrise to practice on my own.

I ran downstairs, hoping that my mum had prepared something good. Unfortunately, I was grimly disappointed. Instead of pancakes I was handed a big glass of green goo. Protein shake. Wohoo..

"Drink up, you're going to need all the protein you can get."

I sighed and drank it in big gulps. It was disgusting, but my father was right. I needed eat. Who knew what kind of food I'd be able to get in the arena. There would be animals to hunt, no doubt about it, and since the careerists were going to form an alliance, or at least I assumed we would, it would probably be safe to light a fire.

Since I was a lot quicker than most I could probably reach the cornucopia first, grab some long range weapon, a backpack and then run for it. Or maybe I should try to grab a sword too and try to kill some of the tributes at once? I would have to talk it over with my father before the reaping.

"It seems like there's a lot of volunteers this year," father muttered while sipping on a cup of coffee. He hadn't even bothered to sit down at the table, and he already had a sword strapped to his side and another one on the kitchen counter besides him.

"Think I have a shot?"

He didn't answer, but picked up the sword from the counter and slammed it down on the table in front of me. "You tell me."

---

I barely had time to take a shower and get dressed before I had to hurry of to the reaping. Black pants, polished black shoes, white shirt, black vest and a jade green pocket handkerchief that my mother had given me just before I left. I was one of the better dressed people here, but that was only to be expected considering what my parents did for a living.

The man from the Capitol on stage gave his ordinary speech, and then he smiled. "Boys first, right? I assume we have some volunteers." I, and a bunch of other guys my age raised our hands. "Splendid!" The man clapped his hands, and the audience soon joined him. "As usual the game leader has left it to me to choose the process of elimination. This year it will be.." I held my breath, my heart racing even though it shouldn't. Was I nervous or exited? I couldn't tell. "Boxing!"

Once again, I didn't know what to feel. I had a decent chance, at least. Did I really want to go? I had been training for this my whole life, but I still didn't know if I could make it, if I even wanted to participate. But it would be a shame to waste all that training, would it not?

---

Fourth and last round. I had made it to the finale, but I doubted I would go any further. I had already taken quite a beating, and the guy who I was up against was huge.

"Jade!" My father's voice. I turned around and saw him standing behind me. "He's heavy, so tire him out. Whatever you do, don't let yourself get hit. One hit from him and you'll be out cold."

I nodded and turned back towards my opponent. The little Capitol man counted to three, and the guy lounged a giant fist at me. I followed my father's advice and dodged, circled around him, dodged, circled, dodged. After a couple of minutes he was panting like he had run a marathon. I hit him with an uppercut, dodged, hit him with a straight left, dodged, left, right, dodge, dodge, left, right. Before I knew it he was down. My fists hurt like hell, but I had won.

The Capitol man tried to raise my arm, but I was too tall. I saw my father frowning, so I raised it myself and forced myself to smile. "District 1's male tribute: Jade Silverman!" The audience roared, and I knew I should be happy, but I just felt empty.

The girls had to go through the same thing, and I couldn't say I was happy about the girl who won. A bloodthirsty killer. Like I should be, but wasn't. Luckily we would probably form an alliance.

---

My parents came in through the door. Would I ever get to see them again? Probably, yes. But I wouldn't be the same then. My father offered me some last minute advise, and then my mother stepped forward. She looked just as split as I felt. Proud, but afraid at the same time.

"Here, I made this for you." She held out a small silver snake with eyes of jade. "It's an earpiece. But it on." I did as I was told, and she smiled at me. "Make sure not to lose it"

I nodded at them both, and they left. There were no goodbyes. They were both counting on my return.

Spoiler! :
Jade's earring:Image
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:34 pm
Pencil2paper says...

Cassie

I wake up a little later than usual today, seeing that there's no school today. But that's little consolation for what's happening today. It is Reaping Day, after all. It's a good thing Will is still sleeping. He needs to not worry about today for as long as he can. This is his second reaping, my third. My older brother is already up, fixing me breakfast. We have more than usual today, this being some macabre celebration for the Capitols clowns. My brother has his own place, but he stays with us through the night before, and sometimes after depending on who got chosen. It was my best friend last year. She was killed. For their bloody entertainment.

After a while about talking about nothing with my older brother, everyone else wakes. We eat and dress in silence, my brother doing my hair, me doing my sisters'. We sit in silence until it is time, my brother, now fourteen, sitting alone, white as a ghost but trying to be strong.

We hear the whistle blow, and we walk in silence to the Reaping as well. We are separated, my younger brother and I, first from the rest of the family, then from each other. We do not say anything. If one of us gets chosen, then we'll have time. If not, there's no point.

We wait for the woman, Valerie Rixon, to finish her rant on the wonders of the Capitol. We meet it with heavy silence, but she doesn't seem to care. After, she takes out the bowl filled with the little papers that mean so much. They are our names, our fate. She chooses the girls' first.

I hold my breath as she swishes her hand around and chooses a name.
"Cassie Clearwater" she proclaims loudly.

This can't be happening, this has to be a dream. But it's not. I walk on shaky legs, up to the podium. She picks out the name of the second victim, and I do not even hear the name. I only register that it is not Will. Thank God.

As I say goodbye to my family, I do not feel anything. I am numb. All I hear is 'I'm sorry and don't go'. Not like I have a choice. I do not say goodbye to my family. I still refuse to believe this is real.

But on the train it hits me: I'm going to die. Someone is going to kill me and my family will watch. I am never going to see any of them again.
"Look out! He's got a daisy!"
- Making Money by Terry Pratchett

Chuck Norris- worshiping gnomes, undead pandas, pet chupacabras and undead Keanu Reeves-what could possibly go wrong?

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:19 am
znale1 says...

Alexis Windfield, District 6 transportation

I woke up, went to check what the date was and it was the “Reaping day”. I knew it would be the worst day ever if I get picked so I just have to pray that I don’t get picked. I took a wash and my mum laid one of her prettiest dress it was light blue, short sleeved and it had a ribbon in the middle and it had some matching shoes which had some matching shoes which were light blue too and it had some decorations in the side. After a few minutes it started to rain I didn't know how we would leave, at the start I thought we wouldn't need to go but its “Reaping day” I have to go even if it rains, even if everyone gets soaked in the rain or even if there is a flood, the rain stopped after two minutes (that was weird because it was pouring). I tried not to think about the "Reaping", I just kept thinking that this is one of my friends birthday except there are thousands of people. My mum and I got ready and we left the house.

My mum and I made it to the town hall, where they would keep the reaping, so right now we just have to wait until they say the elected contestant. I met some contestants who wanted to be elected (usually no one wants to be selected) and some contestants like me. The announcer was having this scary white grin, pinkish hair and a spring green suit; she was standing next to the raffle box. She first took out the female tributes name, “And the female tribute is" in that moment I just prayed that it wouldn't be me, then she continued "Alexis Windfield" I was so shocked I didn't know what to do. Every contestant was staring at me and some were wishing me “Good luck”. I was sure I wouldn't survive the first day. I never knew I would have to leave my only family member now I have no one with me, I just have myself. I looked at my mum with a frightened face, all the time thinking “Why me?” I finally came to my senses when a couple of peacekeepers dragged me to the stage, hundreds of thoughts rushed across my head, I didn't even hear the calling of the male tribute and when I took a quick look, I did not recognize him. A few minutes later we were whisked away.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:35 pm
FermentingFruit says...

Tanner:

I rose by a gently yet urgent shaking from my mother. “Wake up. You don’t want to be late for the reaping” she said the word reaping sarcastically. Nobody was going to get chosen today, at least no boys. My mother opened the shades to my room, and light poured in. I covered my eyes and grunted. Groggily, I removed myself from the bed. My mother still stood at my door, holding up my cloths for the day. I trudged over to her and snatched them from her grip. “I have a bath ready,” she said.

“Mm” I replied. I trudged into the bathroom; the tub in the corner was full of hot water. The benefits of being in a rich family. I smiled and stripped out of my pajamas and submerged into the hot water. I leaned against the back of the tub, closed my eyes, and thought about the day ahead of me. Before I knew it, I was asleep.

I woke to find myself submerged in the tub, only to hear my mother pounding on the door, screaming, “TANNER! YOU’RE GOING TO BE LATE!” Dammit! I thought to myself. I scrambled out of the tub in the most ungraceful way possible, spilling water all over the floor. I half-heartily dried myself, and threw on the clothes my mother had given me. I opened the door, and she came barging into the room, fist shaking. “If it wasn’t the day of the reaping...” I sat in front of the mirror as she did my hair. I threw on some cologne, and ran out the door, not bothering to say goodbye to my parents. There’d be time for that later. I half ran, half sprinted to the reaping area. Luckily, there were still a few people in line. I made my way through, got my finger pricked, and headed over to the rest of the eighteen year olds. I went and stood next to my friend Adam.

"Hey man, how you feelin'? I said. Today was no day for small talk, but it might be the last time I see him.

"Well, I'm not hungry, that's one thing," he said smiling. Adam had 8 siblings, and since he knew I was volunteering, he put each of them in as many times as possible.

"Well that's good, look man—" I was cut off as the capitol lady sauntered to the stage.

She smiled, as they played the movie. And then, with a voice at least two octaves too high, she announced, "Ladies first!" There were no female careers this year. She called some chic I'd never seen before. I felt a twinge of empathy for her when she started calling out names, but I quickly pushed it away. One of the key things I'd learned was no mercy. Feel nothing. I stood straight, waiting. She screeched again, "NOW! Onto the boys," this was it.

"I volunteer," I shouted over the crowd. I suddenly felt thousands of eyes on me. I calmly walked up to the podium.

"And what is your name son?" she said.

"Tanner. Tanner Needreve."
Save time... see it my way.

"During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody."
-Happy Gilmore

170 Reviews

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:11 am
yubbies21 says...

Candra Whey - District 11 - Health/100/ Hunger/100/ Thirst/100/
Morning of the games...

I ran towards the golden horn, situated in a field. I saw a knife enter my range of vision. Pain exploded in my right leg and I tumbled to the ground.
Screaming, I floundered out of bed and out of the nightmare. I stumbled into the bathroom and turned the shower on full blast. I stepped in, still clothed in my night-gown. Shuddering, I cried gently, afraid for what was left of my future. To still my thoughts, I listened whole-heartedly to the pouring water. Plink-plunk-plink-plunk. Breathe in, breathe out. Plink-plunk-plink-plunk. Breathe in, breathe out. I calmed down and dried off. Tumbling into the bulky bed, I sighed, knowing that I could be flat out dead in several hours.

Anger. I was to become anger. To win, I would have to harden my heart against everyone. Trust no one. I was dressed in a baggy black t-shirt with a drawstring down the side and red stripe across the neck-line. Tight black pants ran down to my ankles, where tall socks reached for my knees. Rough, leathery hiking boots covered my feet. Lastly, a large brown fleece, a zipper running up the front. I reached my hands into the pockets and found grippy black gloves. I pulled them on, hoping they would be thick enough to block cold. No such luck.
My Stylist tossed a wide black belt to me. “That’s a heavy fleece. Expect freezing temperatures during the day, cold at night.” I nodded thoughtfully, strapping the belt on. A voice announced that it was time to launch. I growled and stalked to the glass tube. I stepped in, and the doors snapped shut behind me. Turning to have a last look around the room, I found my Stylist had already left, probably searching for a screen to watch the countdown.
Rising steadily, sunlight met my eyes as I stroked my District Symbol, the necklace Tonio made me. I choked back tears as I surveyed the arena.
Water. Island. Trees. Mountains. I gaped at the size of the towering peaks to my right.
“May the odds be ever in your favor!” shouted the announcer. A countdown began. 60, 59, 58...I spied an orange back-pack about ten meters in front of me. It was mine. Just in front of the back-pack was an large bandage. A couple feet to the left was a loaf of bread. 42, 41, 40... A metal pot, a bag of dried plums and a lethal looking knife were all close around me. 34, 33, 32... Emotions of anger flared within me. I was ready. 19, 18, 17... I leaned forward, on the brink of death.
5, 4, 3, 2, 1... The gong sounded and I lept forward, scooping up the back-pack, bandage, and bread. Skidding to a halt, I changed direction and grabbed the pot and bag of plums. A small boy raced toward me, picking up my knife. He was closing in. I swung the pot, hitting him directly in the face, knocking him to the ground. I grasped the knife and fled the scene, aware of two dead tributes on the ground. The boy who had tried stealing my knife groaned and climbed to his feet, swaying slightly. I took off as fast as possible away from the cornucopia towards the small group of trees and the mountain, supplies in hand.
I reached the edge of the trees and turned to survey the scene. A couple dead tributes and none had followed me. I grinned and threw on my pack, heading deeper into the tangled underbrush. A small gurgling noise wafted from the center of the forest. I swerved in that direction, aware of the need for water. I pulled everything out of my bag when I reached the pool, giving myself a minute to stock up on water and asses my position. My bag contained a full water container, to my relief. A skinny sleeping bag and some peanuts were on one side, rope and matches on the other. I stuffed my pot, plums, and bread into the bag. The knife was to be accessible in my hands at all times.
I gulped from the pool, quenching the beginning of my thirst until I could hold no more. I set off at a leisurely pace; sure I could reach the mountains in a few hours. I had a little bit of a lead on the others, and planned to put as much distance as possible between me and the other tributes. I had become anger, not angry, but anger.
beep

30 Reviews

Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:47 am
VampireSenshi says...

Andrew Lare: Health/100 Hunger/100 Thirst/100

My heat pounded in my bed, I slept well - but I woke up extremely early.

I might be dead by the end of the day...

I laugh, loudly. Thinking about Candra, she must be having the same thoughts. She's been really weird since we left. I might have freaked her out a little.

The stylists dressed me in my death uniform slowly, giving me stupid advice.

"You know you need to grab weapons and food and water, and stuff like that."

The platform raised up slowly.

"Let the 37th Hunger Games Begin!"

I decided I would make a stupid decision before the countdown started.

"Quick! Someone step off their platform!!!" A low rumble of laughter came over the tributes.

My mind went blank,

It all ends here...

The countdown was over before I knew it

Three...

Two...

One...

And with the gong, everyone leaped from their platforms. I grabbed a few things randomly that I would inspect later. And ran off into the forest, cannons sounding behind me.
<YWS>
<NE1>

NIGHT is always watching...

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:07 pm
Sapi says...

Astra Lee: Health/100 Hunger/100 Thirst/100

I pulled on the fleece sweater with trembling hands, and thanked my stylist. She had been kind to me, for the most part, giving me a cute costume for the interviews in order to attract the attention of sponsors, though I'm not sure how well it worked. This was it. I would either be dead (probably), or I would make it, and never be the same. I stepped onto the pedestal.

I tried to contain my nerves as I emerged into the open. The sight of twenty-three other kids, pretty much all of them bigger and stronger than me, and they were right there, way too close for comfort. I remembered to focus; this could be the difference between life and death.

The arena was huge, so much larger than I imagined it. There was a mountain behind me, the cornucopia and a lake in front of me, and some forested areas around the mountain. I silently thanked the game makers. I would never survive if there wasn't a forest, but at least now I had a chance, however small. The countdown began. "59, 58, 57..."

I started to panic, and looked frantically around me. There was a pair of socks and a small metal pot only five feet away. I would get those first. I spotted an orange backpack a little farther off. That would probably have food and water, which I would need desperately.

"4, 3, 2, 1! Let the 37th Hunger Games begin!"

The gong sounded. I was ready. I dashed to the socks and pot first, scooped them up, then ran faster than I ever had before to the backpack. Then, I spotted an ax just behind the backpack. I had never used one, and I didn't know how much use it would be to me.

The fraction of the second I paused was enough to almost kill me. A huge career boy was running at me at full tilt, a nasty-looking knife in his hand. I screamed, but my instincts did not fail me. I picked up the ax, swung it wildly in his direction, and tore off towards the mountain. I heard a curse behind me, and the pounding footsteps of the boy stopped following me. I didn't look back, but ran faster even than before, hardly believing my luck when I stumbled across some climbing gear on my way off. But there was no time to lose. I scooped up the gear without stopping, still heading at full tilt into the trees.

As soon as I was inside, I veered to the left, hoping that going to the edges of the arena was my best bet to avoid the other tributes. I did run into one older girl soon after, but she looked just as scared as I was and we both ran away without a fight.

Soon, I was out of breath. I decided it was safest to take a rest in a tree, out of sight of the others. I hauled myself and my things up the nearest one, and settled in an upper branch. First things first. I consolidated the pot, socks, and climbing gear into the backpack, and decided it was safest to keep the axe in hand. I looked over the contents of the backpack: sleeping bag, full water bottle (for this I was very grateful), some peanuts, some rope. Enough to survive for a bit. I sighed and layer my head back against the trunk, but took care not to fall asleep. I weighed my options.

I could go back out to the cornucopia and the waters beyond, but that seemed like a really stupid idea. Probably the careers would be camping there, and I would be murdered on the spot. I could stay where I was for the night. This was plausible, but perhaps not the best idea either. A lot of the tributes would be roaming around that forest, and it wasn't very big. I couldn't count on the luck I had with the first girl I met.

The only other option was to press on and try to reach the mountain. I had gear, and though it would long and difficult, I could probably get over the mountain. A much larger forest awaited me afterwards.

I decided this was my best option. I put on the orange backpack, took hold of the axe and climbed down the tree. I walked quickly and silently through the forest, hoping that I would survive the night.
New to YWS? Check out The Buddy System!

Want to know what's going on around here? Visit Squills - the YWS News

Join The Storybook Revolution...Help revive the Storybooks!

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:35 pm
Funkymomo says...

Marina Podd health100/hunger 100/ thirst 100

3. 2. 1. 0.
I ran forward, trying to beat all the other tributes to a backpack hopefully filled with knives or food. A knife flew in front of me and I stopped just in time for another tribute to run in front of me holding an axe. As a smaller tribute, they were overlooking me for the initial fight. People already had weapons, so I grabbed what was nearest to me and left. I ran towards the ocean, my home, and opened the foldable canoe I'd grabbed. I paddled away, looking around for other tributes. I saw none. There was an island I was heading for. Maybe there were dangers, but I wanted to be away from the others at least for now. About halfway there, I saw a fin sticking up from the water. I'd seen sharks before at home, and I didn't want to be this ones next meal. I paddled faster, but the shark came towards me. I hit it with my paddle and it retreated. Iw as lucky.
When I landed on the beach, I quickly hid in the trees. I peeked out and checked the carnage. There were some dead on the ground and the careers were gathering the remaining supplies. I started looking around for other supplies. I needed a weapon if I was going to make an impression, food too. I looked around the beach and found some shark teeth buried in the sand. I gathered them and hurried into the safety of the trees. Hopefully there wouldn't be any surprises while I built my weapon and food source.
Light one candle instead of cursing the darkness.

Sometimes poetry is inspired by the conversation entered into by reading other poems.
— John Barton