z

Young Writers Society

The 37th Hunger Games

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:11 pm
yubbies21 says...

It was day two and the capitol crowd was enthralled. Paja grinned as she readied the next attack along with her fellow gamemakers.
“Acid rain,” she hissed, long orange fingernails rapidly pushing buttons, “rain that will burn holes as large as pebbles in the tributes’ skin.” Wheezy, high-pitched laughter split the tense air in the control room. “This will be perfect. The girl on the island will be helpless on the beach or in the jungle, and she will either die or find the underground cave on the far side of the island. The one girl in the large forest will also be helpless without making it back to the cliffs; the trees will give little protection. Everyone else is trapped on the mountain and will have to find a form of safety.”
She turned away from the laughing gamemakers and readied the attack. “Acid rain in five, four, three, two, one,” her short stature hovering over the round green button, “launch!” she shouted.
One the screen, now a view of the mountain base, you could see a drop fall, then two, three, and it seemed that the heavens opened up and poured out the acid rain for all they were worth. Paja grinned as the foliage turned grey and shriveled up.
“Cut the camera around to see a reaction from each of the tributes!” she yelled. Her order was immediately obeyed and on screen came the soggy faces of tributes, suddenly realizing that this was no ordinary rain.
beep

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:05 am
Sapi says...

Astra Lee: Health /40/ Hunger /70/ Thirst /50/

A stinging feeling on my forearm wakes me up with a start. Stupid bugs! In an attempt to see what bit me, I raise myself up on my elbow, but promptly fall down again with a groan. Yikes! It feels like every bone in my body is being perpetually run over by a motorcycle. Turning my stiff neck so my head is in a slightly more comfortable position ( though still aching like hell), I find that it is full daylight, but dimming quickly. I frown. That is strange...twilight never comes on this fast. But then I remind myself that these are the Games and anything is possible. Resigning myself to rest for a few minutes at least, since I'm too achy to move right now, I close my eyes and let the diminishing sunlight soothe me, when suddenly-

"Ouch!" I jolt my eyes back open. There was that sting again, but worse this time. What kinds of bugs litter the forest floor, I wonder? I manage to raise myself up a bit now that I am less groggy, and inspect my thigh, where I felt the second sting. I gasp. There is a perfectly round hole in my thin pants, and underneath is a tiny circle of red, angry skin. No wonder! Hurriedly, I glance at my forearm. The fleece protected my skin more, but the same hole is visible there as well. What on earth could they be? No bug bites, for sure.

"Oy! Ow!" I flinch twice, close my eyes for a split second, and when I open them, I discover that two more holes have been burned next to each other on my left shin. Panicking now, I look up above, realizing what it must be. I see the drop about to come off of a leaf just in time to roll aside. The acid lands with a sizzle on a dry leaf instead. I now know the trees cannot protect me.

With a strength induced only by pure adrenaline, I sit up completely, gritting my teeth from the pain. I start to put on my backpack when several more drops land on my right calf, and one more on my wrist. I scream and fall down, clutching my leg. The drops had landed on the knife scrape, sizzling straight through my makeshift bandage and onto the wound. My lower leg feels like someone is holding a blowtorch on it. I need to get to the mountain.

This is the only thought that fills my head as I yank myself upright, blinking back tears from the stinging pain, and take a few tottering steps. A few more drops land on my back, but I barely feel them because my back was luckily covered by a thick fleece. I fall down again, but this time I know with a grim determination that my only chance is to bear through it and get to the mountain. The first rocks of the mountain are actually not that far away, only ten yards or so, but every step takes a giant effort, and then I will need to find a ledge or cave to shelter under.

Knowing I will need extra protection onto if I am going to survive, I quickly open my backpack and take the unprotected food from it and tuck it under my jacket. Then, I hoist the thick canvas backpack on top of my head and hold it from the straps, my arms tucked in close to my body.

The drops are coming down faster and faster now, and the pain does not register separately anymore, only as one big, stinging, aching, screaming mass. I stumble over roots, fall down two or three times, and make it to the first large, granite rocks. I look at them in despair, knowing it will be physically impossible to climb them in my condition. But the pain and adrenaline drives me on.

The only thoughts I have are of a dry, sheltered cave somewhere,where I can rest at ease. That's it! I realize my only hope is to go as quickly as possible around the rock line, and look for any sort of small cave along the base. I know that either side is likely to have some such thing, so I pick a direction randomly and stumble desperately along it. The acid rain is now coming down in full, and I will break down and die on the spot if I do not soon find shelter. I do not want to even look at my skin.

I cannot believe my luck when I find the cave. It has a door-sized entrance, but a cavernous and hug interior. I thought I would die before I reached anything of the like, but perhaps the game makers felt generous...No. Just luck.

My backpack is sizzling, and I cannot feel my legs anymore, when I finally half fall, half throw myself through the opening and into safe, dry, darkness. I am almost glad that I cannot see what the skin on my legs looks like. I drag the bottom half of my body in a little farther, to make sure it will be safe from the rain.

I am too weak to do anything else but pass out.
New to YWS? Check out The Buddy System!

Want to know what's going on around here? Visit Squills - the YWS News

Join The Storybook Revolution...Help revive the Storybooks!

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:13 pm
Elinor says...

Emilie - Health 85 / Hunger 90 / Thirst 75

As they trudged through the mountains, Emilie thought she felt something sting her forearm. She made nothing of it until she felt the same sting again on her palm. She looked down, expecting a bug to have crawled onto her fleece, but there was no such critter.

Perhaps she was hallucinating. She shrugged it off and kept walking, leading Jade and Tanner further into the mountains to search for tributes.

"Did you feel that?" Tanner asked.

The hairs on the back of Emilie's neck shot up. "What?"

"A stinging pain."

"I feel it too," Jade added.

Emilie looked up at the sky and saw what she knew was the source of whatever was attacking them. Rain. But this wasn't ordinary, harmless rain. The shape of the drops was too uniform, and instead of being clear to blue in color, they were a solid, waste green. Upon closer inspection, she noticed a hole in her fleece, the same, uniform shape. Beneath it her skin was itchy and red.

She didn't know what it was exactly, but she knew that they needed to find safety. This was a gamemaker attack, designed to flush out the weak, bring the strong together and to entertain the audience.

"Guys, we need to find shelter. Now," Emilie said, panic in her voice. Another sting of the strange rain hit the back of her hand. Part of her wanted to leave the others, to find shelter on her own and leave them to die in the rain. She didn't like either of them that much, but they were allies, and she couldn't abandon them now.

Jade and Tanner nodded without question, wincing from their own stings. They sprinted off about twenty yards, trying to ignore the stings, until they found a small cave near the top of the mountain. It wasn't much, just some overhanging rock, really, but it was impervious to the rain and there was enough space for each of them. Emilie slid in between them and watched the rain, which now fell in thick torrents. Anyone who hadn't found shelter by now was probably gone.

She thought of something she could say to start conversation, but she was blanking. She wasn't friends with these people. Her survival meant their death.

That was when she heard the sounds of a silver parachute. They looked at each other.

The parachute deposited itself in Emilie's lap. She raised her eyebrows, curious as to what the gift would be. She'd done alright in the games so far, but not spectacular. She certainly didn't think crowds had taken a liking to her.

She opened up the case and almost fainted when she what was inside. A pair of shiny, brand new brass knuckles. She'd been waiting for them ever since the games begin. She was alright with an axe, but now that she had these...she was confident she would see District 2 again.

Beside her, Jade and Tanner lie still, envy, fear in their eyes.

Emilie decided to change the subject, hoping to get her mind off of what was going on. "What do you miss the most about home?" She asked them plainly. Emilie felt warm memories of home overcome her. Eating chocolate covered strawberries with Titus. Training with her two best friends. Playing with her brother. Being happy. It was true that she'd always had a tough time at home, both of her parents pushing her to the nth degree, but she had nothing else. The games had taken that simple happiness away from her, and while the brass knuckles were a wonderful gift and perhaps a good sign of things to come, home was not guaranteed. She tried to stop what came next, but found she could not. Tears began to well in her eyes as she remembered that last day at home.

She missed it so much now. Emilie broke down into uncontrollable crying. She only hoped the cameras were not on her right now.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:26 pm
Alvarin says...

Jade Silverman - Health 80 / Hunger 80 / Thirst 70
Acid rain. How pleasant. At least the bodies would be fetched before we had time to find them. Kids with their skin melted of. Well, as long as it mean less tributes it was good for me. Now I had several holes in my jacket and my pants, and the spots of my skin that had been hit stung like hell. I decided to waste a bit of my water to try to rinse the acid away. It helped.

Suddenly we heard that familiar melody. It had to be a parachute. Hopefully one of us would be getting some salve or something. Soon enough a parachute landed in Emilie's lap. When she opened it it revealed a pair of brass knuckles. Seriously? We were stuck in acid rain and her sponsors sent her a useless weapon. Good thinking there. It seemed to make Emilie suddenly emotional though.

"What do you miss the most about home?" she asked before suddenly staring to cry.

I almost started laughing. Was she serious? No, it was probably just a trick to gain some more sponsors. They'd feel sad for the crying girl and give her more money. Well, she wasn't the only one who could play that game. "Hey, don't cry. It'll be alright." It obviously wasn't. I had no intention of loosing this. I carefully put an arm around her shoulders. She looked up on me with a frown, but seemed to realize what I was doing. Yes, we would all get more sponsors if we played the role as the united careerists who took care of each other then we would surely get more sponsors. "We all miss our homes, you're not the only one. I miss getting up early and sparring with my dad. He's quite strict, but it's fun none the less." What I actually missed the most was getting up hours before sparring with my dad to go practice with my bow alone. "What about you, Tanner?" I asked as I turned towards him.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

65 Reviews

Reviews: 65
Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:49 pm
deleted17 says...

What? Everyone die right then and there?
Have your chin up, and speak up.Otherwise, nothing will get done.And what you need to say, will never be heard.Just be confident in what you say, and stand by it

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:22 am
znale1 says...

Does this mean i win

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:26 pm
Elinor says...

This SB is inactive and thus in the SB archives. If you wish to participate in an active storybook, please go to the SB forum. If the OP wants this renewed, she can contact me and I will restore it.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

"Everything you can imagine is real."
— Pablo Picasso