z

Young Writers Society

The Monstrumologists (started/all spots reserved)

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:49 am
View Likes
RedBird says...

Monstrumology:
1: the study of life forms generally malevolent to humans and not recognized by science as actual organisms, specifically those considered products of myth and folklore.
2: the hunting of such creatures.

The New York Academy of the Science of Monstrumology, the finest (and last) institution of its kind. For more than a hundred years, young men and women have come from around the globe to study the science of monsters and how to best keep them under control. Of course, most people don't know the Academy exists and would scoff if you even mentioned monsters. This is the modern world, after all. We've explored most of the world, and never documented the existance of creatures whose sole purpose seems to devour humans. And yet, they are there, even now, in the year 2013. Surviving in the most remote areas of the planet, monsters live on: Mongolian death-worms, anthropophagi, outiko (better known as wendigo), and countless others. They are still out there, and as humanity pushes ever outward, encounters and deaths are on the rise. Though small, the Society of Monstrumology manages to keep things under control, traveling to areas of particular danger to deal with monster attacks.

And then, the impossible occurs: attacks that are definitely monstrous in origin begin to occur around New York. Officials say that they are due to stray pumas or bears, but the Society and Academy know better. The attacks appear to be from a variety of monsters, everything from chupacabras to bunyips, which can only mean one thing: a long-dead terrorist group, the Bloodletters, has risen again. In the past, this group viewed monsters as a scourge brought down by God to destory humanity. They would capture monsters and release them into heavily populated areas to wreak their havoc. Something must be done, but attacks of this number and magnitude require a larger monstrumological force than the Society has at its disposal. The small membership of the Society is hopelessly outnumbered. Alone, they cannot hope to defeat this threat, and so they turn to the Academy. Nine of the brightest, strongest, and quickest students are chosen to help control the threat.

You are one of these nine. Your job is simple enough: to capture or kill all of the specimens that are running rampant throughout the city, and to locate the Bloodletters before they can cause more death. Accomplishing this will be anything but simple, however. The Bloodletters could be anyone, anywhere and they will continue to release their scourge until they are brought to justice. Remember this: Not all monsters are animals.

Some further info: This is loosely based on Rick Yancey's Monstrumologist series, and I am taking creatures from that and from this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cryptids
If you have any suggestions for monsters, PM me!

Spots available:
-Nathaniel Tallow, RedBird
-Darcy, AriaAdams
-Anton Wolfe, Alvarin
-Jaegar Pen, Reisepiecey
-Alexander Johnson, Ranger51
-Miranda Tayman, FermentingFruit
-Adam Campbell, roostangarar
-John Moore, Lothbrok
-Korina Moonlight, kayfortnight

Profile:

Name:

Appearance:

Personality:

History: (make sure you include how your character came to be interested in monstrumology)

Special talents: (nothing crazy--just subjects your character may have extensive knowledge of or good aim with a firearm, things like that)

Other:

Rules:
-Usual YWS stuff
-Romance is allowed, but nothing explicit; keep it to kissing.
-This SB will be violent. Monsters are not subtle. Just don't get carried away.
-Posts must be at least 250 words, preferably more. If you don't think you can keep that up, this SB is not for you.
-No mary/gary-sues and absolutely no god-modding.

I think that's it for now...PM if you have any questions! I'll get the DT up after a few people have posted profiles.
Last edited by RedBird on Fri May 31, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 19 times in total.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

61 Reviews

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:10 am
View Likes
RedBird says...

Name: Nathaniel Tallow

Appearance: Nathaniel is of average height, and is very athletic. He has long red hair, which he keep tied back, bright blue eyes and freckles. He generally wears skinny-ish jeans, Doc Martens, and button-down shirts. He is stronger than he looks.

Personality: He is upbeat and always cheerful, despite the macabre science he has dedicated his life to. However, all of the things he has learned about and seen have profoundly influenced him, and he is prone to fits of sarcasm and disillusionment. He is a loyal friend, and fiercely protective. He is very intelligent, and knows a great deal of information about many of the creatures he studies.

History: Nathaniel comes from a long line of monster-hunters, not all of whom were monstrumologists. However, both of his parents were (they were both killed while hunting a pack of anthropophagi in Western Africa) and he knew that he would follow in their footsteps. His family took as a motto a quote from one of the most famous monstrumologists of all time, Dr. Pellinore Warthrop: "Some must work all their lives in darkness so that others may live in the light." Nathaniel took this to heart when he learned of his parents' deaths at the age of 12. He immediately applied to the Academy and was admitted mostly due to his heritage and the fierce determination he showed. He is one of the top students at the Academy.

Special talents: An almost encyclodpedic knowledge of all the creatures he has ever studied, and a knowledge of knifework, which he finds useful when firearms fail.

Other: Up for love.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:25 pm
crossroads says...

Can I please reserve a spot? I'll post the profile later today :)

It for sure took me time..

Name: Aislinn Darcy - She's called Darcy by pretty much everyone, as most people don't know how to pronounce her fist name, and she prefers it that way.

Appearance: She's thin, pale and short, often seeming younger than she really is. Her eyes are light gray, she has barely visible freckles and, in contrast to that, black hair that falls in big curls to her middle-back. She dresses mostly in black, white or gray (or mix of the three), wearing short loose dresses, striped leggings and Dr Martens (sorry, RedBird, didn't mean to copy - I took that one from my real life). She has two tattoos - one of a dragon, spreading from her neck to the upper part of her leg, and the other of a clock on the inside of her left wrist.
She's left handed, though she draws with her right (as her left must be ready to fight the possible enemies). She also likes silver rings and necklaces.

Personality: Darcy is a quiet, serious girl, interested in drawing and music, who hates personal questions. Nevertheless, of course, people tend to ask them anyway, so she learned to be a marvelous liar. She also often uses sarcasm, but with rare friends she has, she talks and makes jokes just like everyone else. She loves staying up late and looking at the stars, and she often feels trapped when has to stay inside. She knows very well how to use her head, and she tends to be a rather manipulative person, though she doesn't like letting people know that. She can be sweet and has her moments of needing a protector, but because of her rather cold behavior, people almost never understand that she's feeling bad or wants company. Darcy's monstrumologist side, however, is often kinder than her social skills. Whenever possible, she'll find a monster and come as close to it as she can, draw it and write down all the information she manages to gather, never killing it unless she doesn't have another choice.

History: She was born in Ireland, where used to stand another Academy (destroyed before her time, but her grandparents finished it). Her mother, who always talked about fairies and elves and tended to wander in forests alone in the night, allegedly had her only child with a human-like monster living somewhere in the woods and only taking human form at full moon nights. Her mother died shortly after giving birth to her, and she encouraged that story. They sent her to her uncle in New York, who was also the principal of the Academy there, and he told her to deny that story if anyone ever asks her. Darcy doesn't have any super powers, and she lets that story stay around, hoping people will see it as a lie as well, but that doesn't change the fact that no one from her town and family, including herself, never met anyone who could be her father. She was always drawn to monsters of all kind, perhaps partly just because of being Irish, and she felt a desire to explore them - and, hopefully though hardly believable, make friends with them. With her uncle as the principal, it's rather hard for her to make people understand that she got into the special eight because of her talents and knowledge, and not just thanks to the family connections.

Special talents: She deeply believes that she can connect with the monsters in stead of killing them. It's not like she can talk to them - well, except if they are gifted with the ability to speak - but she can sometimes lure them (with music or just words) close enough to fire a poisonous/sleeping arrow from her modern crossbow.

Other: She would very much like to meet a person who'd fall in love with her, though she's a bit afraid of it - what if the story of what she is proves itself true one day, and her lover has to kill her to make the world safe? Also, she has a tendency of bringing specimens back from her trips, but nothing worse than having a small man-eating tree growing from a pot in her room ever happened.
Last edited by crossroads on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

61 Reviews

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:56 am
RedBird says...

The DT: http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=200&t=96283
~Snape, AVPM

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:30 am
View Likes
Alvarin says...

I'm reserving a spot! Will post it here later today :)
Just tell me if I have to change anything.

Name: Anton Wolfe

Appearance: Black, thick hair that refuses to stay in place, glowing red eyes, pale skin. Tall and athletic. Dresses in dark colors, mostly black. Always wears a black hoodie with the hood pulled down over his eyes. Rarely, if ever, smiles.
Spoiler! :

Personality: Anton is an angry young man, very angry, even if he doesn't let it show. He hates all monsters, dangerous or not, and kills the ones he encounters, unless he's ordered not to. Hunting monsters is his way to let out his anger. He knows every way to kill a monster but has not bothered to learn anything else about them.
He is fiercely protective of the things/people he cares about, but couldn't care less about the rest of the world.
He barely ever speaks more than a few words now and then, unless he really has to or the person that he's speaking to means something special to him.

History: His parents were monster-hunters and he was trained to become the same, but they were killed by a hell hound when he was 14. Anton himself survived, but was bitten by the hell hound. The poisonous bite didn't kill him, which was the usual effect, but instead seemed to change him, so he was then was sent to the New York Academy of the Science of Monstrumology, since they wanted to study him. He showed his skills by killing an escaped monster and started studying at the academy shortly after that.

Special talents: When Anton got bitten his sense of smell, sight and hearing were enhanced, but the poison took it's tall on his body, so he can't keep fighting for very long. He can see in the dark and is very agile.

Other: Up for love, but you'll have to work for it.
Last edited by Alvarin on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Are you looking for sympathy? You'll find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis”
― Thomas Harris

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:31 pm
View Likes
roostangarar says...

May I reserve a spot also?

Phew, sorry that took so long.

Name: Adam Campbell

Appearance: Tall with the build of someone who exercises regularly. Blond, naturally spiky hair which he leaves to its own devices mostly. Has a favourite hat that he always wears, with a bobble that dangles down the back.

Personality: Sarcastic and always takes the piss, but in a funny way. He can be annoying if you're in a bad mood, but when you're in a good mood he's hilarious. Loves playing jokes on people, to the point where he sometimes takes things too far. His humour is a defence mechanism though.

History: Grew up on a farm in the hills. When his favourite bull went missing, his father, brother and he went looking for it. When they found its corpse, the Muc-sheilch that killed it also snapped up his brother. He swore to prevent anyone from losing a family member from monsters ever again. He was approached by the Monstrumologists after he tried to get a news story published about the dangers of of various monsters.

Special talents: Physically strong from a life of farm work, reasonably accurate with a shotgun and a rifle from shooting rabbits, pheasants etc.

Other: Has a very good sense of smell.
Last edited by roostangarar on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hae but ane gallant son, and if he were to follow me in my footsteps, how proud I shall be.

Time isn't a straight line. It's a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff

61 Reviews

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:50 am
RedBird says...

Of course!
~Snape, AVPM

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:41 am
View Likes
FermentingFruit says...

Name: Miranda Tayman

Appearance: Miranda has chest length wavy red hair, which is its natural color. She has green eyes, which can actually seem to be gray if the light hits them right. She has very pale skin, as she can't tan easily. She stands around 5'4. She usually just wears jeans and a hoodie, although when she is on call she just wears shorts and a tank top, because jeans would slow her down.
Spoiler! :

Personality: She focuses heavily on work (which in this case would be hunting down the monsters), but she strives to do what is right even more. She takes orders, but if she thinks something is more important, she won't hesitate to disobey her orders. She is easy to get along with, but can be extremely stubborn at times. She likes to give orders, and can execute plans very well. Doesn't back down from danger.

History: Miranda led a normal teenage life. For a while. She attended normal high school, had normal friends, got good grades, graduated, the norm. Things got weird after graduation. Her and one of her friends took a trip to France for graduation. They decided to stay in a rural district called Gévaudan.

When they got there, they heard rumors about a beast that had stalked the townsfolk hundreds of years ago. It was described as a massive wolf, with reddish brown fur. They did not believe them. If there were no pictures, how could it be true? They were girls, they were stupid. One night, they decided to venture into the woods to "investigate." Well, the creature was real. It found them. Not sure how to describe it other than that. They stood to it, face to face. The girls turned and ran. Miranda was a much faster runner. Her friend tripped over a stump, and Miranda turned around and witnessed her friend being killed by the creature. She turned and ran back into town, the beast didn't catch her. She doesn't tell people what happened. She went back to America, and was sought out by the academy. (The best is the Beast of Gévaudan that attacked her, for the final fight.)

Special talents: Can run fast, is an extremely fast sprinter.

Other: You can try, but she's a piece of work
Last edited by FermentingFruit on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Save time... see it my way.

"During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody."
-Happy Gilmore

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:53 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

FermentingFruit wrote:Is 4 too many SB's? If it isn't sign me up. If I get overwhelmed, I may have to post every other day, as I do have a life XD

I'm doing five, some of them (as you know) with more than one character.. It's possible xD

Or I'm just crazy.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:55 am
View Likes
Sassafras says...

You can never be in too many SB's. Spot please.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:01 am
View Likes
Ranger51 says...

May I reserve a spot? I'll try and get my profile up tomorrow or Wednesday.
"We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"
-Fahrenheit 451

161 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:27 am
View Likes
Sassafras says...

Name: Jaeger Pen

Appearance:
Spoiler! :
Okay, I've always wanted to use Dylan's face for something so this will be it.
Spoiler! :

6"1, he has scars covering his back, chest, and upper left arm. He also has a long claw mark on the right side of his face, three lines. He doesn't have a real right arm, instead the whole arm is a robot arm, fully functioning, but metal. He still walks with a slight limp. He's also deaf in his right ear.

Personality: Jaegar is kind, or at least he tries to be. He makes a conscious effort to be nice, always reminding himself to smile, say nice things, compliment people, and protect those around him. Jae is actually a mean, rude soul, that's how he was raised, to perceive all others below him. Nice isn't in his DNA, but he's trying to change that, and sometimes it doesn't work out well. He gets angry quickly, small things trigger him. When he gets mad he can't control what he says or what he does and he ends up hurting those around him badly. He tries to fight this down, but he grew up trained to be mean, and it's hard to fight that.

He's always smiling when he knows someone is looking, but when they turn away he drops the act.

History: Jaegar was born to two of the most hated and feared people in his city. They were monster hunters, but the bad kind. They kept and bred monsters and then used them in fights against each other. They were the people trying to make the monsters stronger and better in order to let them back out into the world so they could breed in order to capture and fight them again. When Jaegar was born his parents already had plans for him, plans to make him like them, but Jaegar didn't take an interest in that type of stuff. He was a good kid, too good, too kind, and too sweet. They had to break him. They started early with the training, as soon as he could walk and talk. They taught him to fight, exposed him to the monsters, kicked him out of the house to see how quickly he could survive and adapt. By the time Jaegar was twelve he was a cursing, spitting, killing machine. The final test was to see how he would do against a monster, by himself. They threw him in the cage. It was kill or be killed.

To say the least, the monster messed him up. He lost his arm, hearing in his right ear, broken bones, broke his leg in three different places, and enough wounds that he nearly bled to death. But he survived. He was never the same after that day. His parents were killed one day on a hunting trip, he was thirteen, he went to live with his grandparents in a different country. They had no idea about what his parents did. He learn from his grandparents what love was. They never made him fight, they were patient and kind. They didn't expect him to be tough, instead they discouraged the behavior. When Jaegar's grandmother died he snapped, he went into a rage that nearly killed his grandfather. It was then that he decided he needed help. He went into the academy to learn how to control himself and also how to properly hunt, hoping to learn some proper discipline.

Special talents: He's really tough to take down, he can stand a lot of pain, and he's good at mechanics and technology. Pretty handy with an ax.

Other: Up for love, no preferences.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:44 pm
Lothbrok says...

Could I reserve a spot?
If at first you don't succeed then destroy any evidence that you ever tried

Random avatar

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:05 pm
kayfortnight says...

Are there still spots left?
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:08 pm
FermentingFruit says...

There's one more, that is if RedBird keeps the main page updated (which im guessing he does.)
Save time... see it my way.

"During high school, I played junior hockey and still hold two league records: most time spent in the penalty box; and I was the only guy to ever take off his skate and try to stab somebody."
-Happy Gilmore

Hearing these stories makes me realize that I never did anything with my childhood.
— The Internet