z

Young Writers Society

The Adventure Chronicles Book One

178 Reviews

Reviews: 178
Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:22 am
Paracosm says...

After what Rowan had said about his wound, or rather, lack there of, he decided it was time for a wardrobe change. After all, what half decent Lord of Darkness would be caught undead wearing a postman's uniform? Aside from that, he needed to learn what a postman actually was. Since his last sleep, many things had changed, for instance, the heavy thing on his hip. It had a mahogany handle and a steel end with some sort of switch on the back.

He decided it was best not to mess with the... thing. The body he was in was weak for magic. This was the body of a walker, a wanderer, not a caster. But it would do. "You, sorceress, Child of the Old Way, what is your name?"

Scarletta looked around, then pointed to herself, "Me?"

"Me! Tell me, Me, where can I find a good cloak or robe?"

Scarletta raised an eyebrow. "Is that your thing? Cloaks are a little... drab. But I'm sure we could find you something..." Scarletta eyed him up and down, raising his arms and turning his head.

Suddenly, a man came flying from the window.

Scarletta squeaked, and had the foresight to duck. Noir would have moved, but a hundred years of slumber had somewhat nullified his instincts. "What sort of rough housing is this? I could have your head! I should have your head! I WILL have your head!"

Noir struggled under the ruffian, finally rolling free of him. "By the Darkest Powers of the Abyss..."

Scarletta interrupted, "You know, 'Noland, it wasn't this guys fault he was tossed out of a window. Give him a break before you do... whatever...." Scarletta pulled Noir'land away.

"Yes, true. I should punish someone else." Noir'land walked into the tavern, the room was swallowed up in a dark mist. Fear and dread seemed to penetrate each and every being, all but two. A kitten, and a large man whom Noir'land recognized as one of the intrepid adventurers.

"You look like you're having fun." He said, coldy.

"Not really," the large man said, "Stop sneering or I'll defenestrate you too."

Noir'land let out a ferrel growl. "Whatever form of spell that is, it will not harm me." Then Noir'land realized he was being stared at. He let out one last, tiny growl, then calmed himself. If he wanted the book, he'd have to suffer those fools.

"Tell me," Noir'land searched Rock's memories, pressing through them to find a name, "Rock, tell me more about this... defenestration... I wish to master this... dangerous art."

Scarletta tilted her head, "I think it means throwing stuff from windows."
Review unto others as you would have others review unto you.

Don't panic!

Also, Shino!

304 Reviews

Reviews: 304
Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:59 pm
barefootrunner says...

Ira

The company entered the village, and Ira followed. She decided to stick to one person to avoid getting lost. Not the cleric, no. She looked around and spotted another tall man, Illumies, she had heard him called, whom she would not lose easily. In fact, there was a small knife-shaped bulge of opportunity on his left hip, and Ira needed something to trade. She scuttled after him with a feral grin.

Illumies moved purposefully through the stalls, stopping occasionally for directions or a small purchase. Ira kept behind him, sometimes pocketing items, slowly closing in on her objective.

He turned a corner. Ira ducked under a table. The challenge was to get around his heavy cloak. Illumies stopped and turned towards the tradesman. Ira crawled forward under the table, further, under his cloak. She stretched out her hand, her fingers closed on a knife hilt and she started to slowly slide it out of its sheath. As the very tip cleared the sheath, the man's hand flew down and grasped the back of her shirt. He yanked her into the light.

"Ah ha! A thief!" Illumies inspected his catch. "Oh, it's the elf-creature. Now,what shall I do with you? Shall I... throw you to the cleric?"
Ira bared her teeth and he laughed.
"How about I sell you on the market? I should get a pretty price for you—"
Ira jerked her shoulders, her shirt tore, and she darted behind a bush.
"Hey!" The man blocked the other side of the bush, mirroring her as she moved to dodge away, brandishing her prize at him. Suddenly, Illumies started to laugh again.

"Now, you're going about this the wrong way," he grinned. "That's a throwing knife you got there—you can't stab me with that."
Ira examined the knife with dismay.
"No, look." He extracted a similar knife from one boot in a smooth movement and flicked it at a nearby tree trunk. The blade thudded into the wood. "That's what you use it for."
Ira attempted to copy his movements, but her knife went wide and nearly hit a dwarf's boot. The rogue winced.
"No, you had better find a less-populated tree to practise on. Fetch the knives."
Ira streaked off and scooped up her own shot, then tugged Illumies' blade from the tree. She handed them both back.
"No, you keep that one," he said. "It was a good pick, and I got a few extra in the scuffle."

Ira trotted away triumphantly with her prize clamped firmly in one hand.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" - Einstein

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:10 pm
AdventurerDaniel says...

Daniel the Less than Wise

I had gathered up my throwing knives from the corpses of the goblins I had slain. The battle was over everyone had survived rather fortuitous for us. I looked to see Bartemius and the others gathered around a figure I knew to well, the Slenderman. An all together odd fellow he had the power to get anything he wanted but would gather teams of adventurers and send them on the dangerous missions instead. I walked up and heard his promised pay for the quest 100,000 gold for all of us. A rather lucrative offer to say the least if I knew anything about adventurer leaders like Bartemius the money was a definite yes. I looked at about at everyone gathered and spotted Audna looking at me she'd been waiting for me to look her way she mad a simple hand gesture across her neck then pointed at me.

Bartemius disbanded us briefly to our own devices. Audna started to storm towards me, before I could say a single word her hand made contact with my face. Getting the wind knocked out of me was an understatement. Before I could get to a safe distance so that I could apologize her hand had a tight grip on the collar of my shirt. I could see her lips move briefly before I could hear her, "...You imp-bellied moron you could have gotten us both killed setting off an explosive like that what if it had gone off sooner than expected."

I spoke before my brain could fully think, "well it didn't did it."

"It didn't did it? Why I oughta beat you black and blue for being such a smart mouthed arrogant little brat."

I grabbed the hand she had on my shirt and stood up slowly picking her up with me. "Madam it was not my intent to offend you and I sincerely apologize if I had. I was smarting off but I think you would too if you'd just been smacked as hard as you smacked me." I put her down and bowed low to her, "I'm truly sorry and won't have you involved if I ever do anything that reckless again."

The girl seemed shocked that I understood a bit of etiquette. She looked away after admiring her own handy work on the side of my face. She seemed to blush for what reason I couldn't tell, she mumbled loud enough for me to hear, "You had better not you imp-bellied idiot."

I walked off on that note, down in to the town. I had decided that a hat and a traveling cloak would be needed for this fine foray in to rather dark and dangerous territory.
So much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens.
Red Wheel Barrow by- William Carlos Williams

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:35 pm
Rydia says...

Bartemius

While the group re-gathered, the quest master picked out a tree and laid down for a good nap. He did like a good nap!

Unfortunately it got interrupted. Bartemius half opened an eye and looked up at the trio standing over him. Aha, Lumies and the mage. Now what might bring those two together?

"How long d'you t'ink before we'll be moving on?" the elf asked. Bartemius sat up and rubbed his chin in thought, tugging on the growth of hair he had there.

"Well that depends," he said slowly. "Depends on when all the others get back and when I finish my nap." With that the aging man turned over and closed his eyes once more and not much later there were snores issuing from his mouth.

"Plen'y of time then," the elf decided with a grin for the mage.

"I'm still not sure about this. What if I get it wrong?" Their voices began to fade as the two turned back toward the apothecary where they hoped to pick up a few items.

"That'll be the elf's problem, not ours."

Once they were gone, Barty cracked an eye open to be sure and then sat up and rubbed his head. Oh dear, oh dear, now what was all that about?
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:04 pm
View Likes
rwgbookwriter says...

Name:Ryan garner

Class:[/b] tph
Race: human

Skills:magic
Weakness:endurance

Appearance:coolness
Personality:powerness
RWG chat with me idc if you do;I LIKE MANGA

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:00 am
View Likes
Saga97 says...

Suke

He sat there a while thinking about what he should do. His mind was getting kind of fuzzy, but he stood up and slapped himself in the face. He clutched his hand to the wound, he felt the blood heating up his fingers.

He ripped a large piece of cloth and wrapped it around his wound. Then went back to watch the adventurers. He couldn't make out what was happening. Though he did manage to notice there was a new man with them.

He couldn't reach within earshot but went along with it. He saw this new man hand out a piece of parchment. The elf took it and opened it, everyone gathered around him, in all the chaos Suke was able to get closer and hanging on a tree right by them he saw it a map. Then he heard someone say.

"Well everyone we'll stay the night but at the crack of dawn we shall head for our next adventure" With those words most just found a comfy spot and made themselves at home.

Spoiler! :
Sorry this isn't perfect but I thought it would help us get further :3 ?
Where adventures are made
and hero's are born.
Where villians are slain
and friendships live on.

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:48 am
rwgbookwriter says...

Spoiler! :
This is my first spoiler now hey
RWG chat with me idc if you do;I LIKE MANGA

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:44 pm
Rydia says...

Bartemius

The night passed slowly and there was a feeling of unease amongst the travellers. Many of them were starting to wonder what they were doing throwing their lot in with the group, while others clutched new items to their chests and dreamed of fortunes being pulled away and fingers scrabbling across golden slopes.

"Up and at them, boys!" Bartemius crowed as he started to pack up camp. "That's not to say you are all of the male persuasion of course, begging your pardon ladies." Of the group he seemed to be one of the few in good spirits and hummed happily to himself with no sign that any of what he'd overheard last night was troubling him. Adventurers would be adventurers and the elves always were prone to a dose of mischief!

"Now, we'll be reaching the peaks of doom just before nightfall," Bartemius explained as he rallied the group into setting off down the road. A few of them straggled behind and he hadn't bothered to count so they might well have had a couple of deserters in the night, but never fear! Where there was adventure, there would always be adventurers.

"Because we couldn't arrive in the day, of course," Rowan drawled, the sarcasm dripping off his tongue but Barty ignored him and ambled along the path.
Writing Gooder

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:43 pm
View Likes
Auxiira says...

Spoiler! :
Name: Lyris

Class: rogue
Race: human

Skills: speed, endurance
Weakness: magic

Appearance: http://auxiira.deviantart.com/art/Auxi-344347858 (can't seem to paste the picture)
Personality: Lyris is often seen hanging around the town's market, looking for people to steal from. The speed at which she snatches wares has made her the enemy of the merchants. She is a free spirit and likes to stay in high places. She's afraid of lightning.

Lyris lounged in the second-floor window-sill, watching the goings on below. Recently the village had become a lot busier than usual, with armed people running left and right. She wasn't sure that she liked it. She couldn't even steal stuff from people anymore. So she spent her days on the roofs or in the trees surrounding the village.

She had seen that little girl, Ira, wasn't it, get seen by the group that had entered the village. The little mute was an amateur, even if she was good with weapons. That man had made a mistake by showing her how to use the throwing daggers, the kid was already annoying enough.

Even though the goings on in the village were interesting, Lyris found herself bored. Having grown up in this stuffy little village, she now wanted out. She had thought about leaving the village by herself but knew enough about herself to know that she wouldn't last long by herself. The groups coming through the village were the perfect opportunity for her.

If she could work up the courage to talk to one of them. She didn't like approaching new people, they weren't trustworthy. But she thought I have to get over this if I want to leave the village. She swung herself through the open window and picked up the small pack that she had prepared over a year ago, when she decided that she wanted to leave.

Once she was done, she jumped through the window and into the market. Going up to the nearest stall where weapons were displayed, she asked the merchant where the adventurers were.
"They left early this morning towards the peaks, Lyris. Wait, are you leaving?"
"Yes. Finally." Lyris sighed. Saying it out loud made it seem so much better.
"You can't leave with just the daggers that you stole from me. Give me one of them back and I'll give you a bow, a quiver and some arrows. It's a brilliant deal."
Lyris pondered it for a few seconds, then nodded. "Done." The merchandise exchanged hads quickly and Lyris took off, swiping an apple as she went.

That morning. She could catch them up. She was sure of that. She had always been a fast runner. Especially in the trees. She scrambled up the closest one, and took off, following the well trodden path. The peaks didn't scare her really. Not being able to live an interesting life did. So she ran as fast as she could, determined to catch up.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

9 Reviews

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:15 pm
Saga97 says...

Suke

This had been the worst journey of his life. The bleeding had stopped thanks to the cloth around the wound but he had lost a lot of blood.

Though his whole body was about to collapse he kept moving forward after the adventurer's. They stopped at a village for a while, sneaking some water and food from the locals he noticed something.

A girl was sitting on top of a roof her eyes on the newcomers especially the little girl that had just joined their ranks. The food gave him more strength his mind denying the fact that he needed help.

Soon enough the travelers went on their way having filled up on stock for their next adventure. They had been traveling for some time when to his surprise the girl ran past him unaware of his presence in the shade of the tree.

Dumbfounded by her sudden appearance he lost his balance and fell down hitting something hard he looked around his eyesight blurring and the last thing he saw was a face, to blurred up to be recognized.
and hero's are born.
Where villians are slain
and friendships live on.

67 Reviews

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:56 pm
Auxiira says...

Lyria

As she travelled through the treetops, Lyria heard the noise of someone falling to the ground and hesitated. She wanted to catch up with the group of adventurers, but she couldn't leave someone hurt in the forest. She sighed and dropped to the ground. Seeing as there wasn't anyone directly beside her, she turned around and searched the forest floor.

There, right on the edge of the path was a pale, black haired boy about the sameage as her.
"Tch. Can't people stay upright these days?" She tutted and hurried over to the boy. His eyes closed as she bent over him.
"Hello! Hey! Are you okay?" she asked, waiting for the boy to wake up. Evidently he wasn't okay. She crouched down next to him and poked him in the side, once. He didn't wake up.

Looking closer, she saw that the boy's sleeve was covered in blood. "Yech. How did you do that, matey?" She sat crosslegged next to him and pulled the pack from her back. Reaching in, she drew out some bandages and a small pot with a poultice in it. "I wasn't really expecting to use it this early," she muttered to herself. She tugged up the boy's bloodied shirt and removed the cloth that he had wrapped around it.

A nasty wound cut across his arm. The edges were ragged, characteristic of a cut from a piece of glass. In this case, a very big one. She grabbed the pot, smeared some of the poultice onto the wound and wrapped the bandages tightly around the boy's arm. "Right, done, now to go." She swung put her belongings back into her pack and swung it onto her shoulder before standing up and starting to walk off down the path.

She stopped and looked back towards the boy. She couldn't just leave him there, he'd get attacked or robbed or something. She shook her head and went back to sit next to the boy until he woke up. Then she'd leave. She sighed. She was sure that she was going to regret this.

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:58 pm
Rydia says...

Rowan

The slightly shabby coat was proving an asset as they moved up the road and toward the mountainous regions. It was a cold day already, but the steady climb soon had the wind snapping at their ankles and Rowan was glad of his extra warmth. In fact, he was feeling pretty smug about it, but that might have been to keep back the feelings of despair.

What was he doing?

Now Rowan had never been a cowardly elf because what use was one of those? The yellow bellied elves of the desert sands weren't no good for fighting and they certainly weren't any use for healing as they'd empty their bellies into your guts the moment they saw them.

But this was the Peaks of Doom.

An elf had to be a fool not to be afraid of that and Rowan was certainly no fool. He was a highly intelligent elf in fact, which was why he couldn't understand why he wasn't walking in the other direction. It wasn't greed. He could just as soon make money fixing up the sick back at that village, so it wasn't that and his thirst for adventure had been somewhat pacified by the goblins. But pride was a terrible thing and the elf had never walked away from a fight.

Unlike Bartemius who would obviously be running before they ever set foot on the peaks. "How long d'you reckon before he scarpers off?" Rowan asked of no-one in particular as he jerked his head in the direction of Barty who was leading the group.
Writing Gooder

9 Reviews

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:50 pm
Saga97 says...

Suke

His eyes opened in a flash, the shock of the sunlight hurt his eyes so he closed them again almost instantly. He put his hand to his head which felt like it was about to explode from the inside out.

He heard a rustling coming from his right and realized he was not alone. Without thinking he opened his eyes shot straight up into a tree.

"Nice reflexes" He heard a soft voice say, and just by the voice he knew it was female. He looked down at a girl not much older than he was.

"Thanks" He said giving a face of uncertainty. They stared at each other for a while, he had seen her before. She was the girl that was following the adventurers.

"Well I best be leaving, don't go falling off of trees anymore" She said giving him a wink.

"And you really have to get someone to look at that wound more thoroughly" And with the last word she was off. In a quick movement he went the same way once again hiding in the shadows.

They were going almost as fast as the wind, he had never met anyone with as much agility as him. Suddenly she stopped, he followed her lead.

"Why are you following me?" She asked without moving a muscle.

"Why are you following them?" I asked, she turned around but not straight at me, at least my cover hadn't been blown.
and hero's are born.
Where villians are slain
and friendships live on.

67 Reviews

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:03 pm
Auxiira says...

Lyris
She sighed at the boy's question. "I wanted to leave my village. I wasn't going to spend my life in that boring place. Although, I could ask you the same question. Since you're on the same path as me, I'm guessing that you're following them too, no?"

She saw a movement out of the side of her eye and turned around just in time to see the boy dart behind a tree.
"Aww, come on, I know that you're there."
The boy edged out from behind the tree and faced her. "You haven't had the best of luck with trees today, have ya?"

The boy ignored Lyris' last question and replied to her first. "I found them interesting."

"Is that it? Wow, you're really... spontaneous, aren't you?" She dusted her hands off on her trousers before handing it to the boy. "I'm Lyris, who are you?"

The boy eyed her warily and she sighed. "Come on, you owe me. If I hadn't fixed you up back there, then you would have died. That cut was going to get infected."

The boy shuffled around a bit before giving his name. "Suke. I'm called Suke."

She beamed at him. "That wasn't hard, was it? Now, I want to catch up with the adventurers. If you want to follow me then you can, just please, don't hide. I hate that." she nodded to herself before starting off again, leaving Suke to follow her if he wanted to.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:30 pm
View Likes
crossroads says...

Spoiler! :
Oh look, here I am.

Name: Astrian (I can stand being called Rio.*)
Gender: it is relative, is it not? Male at the moment, though.

Class: rogue sorcerer would be an acceptable enough title - I'm more of a demon, or so people call me, you see.. I prefer being known as Keeper
Race: It is relative, is-- oh, well, fine. I seem to be human now, though my ears are slightly pointy

Skills: intelligence, magic
Weakness: accuracy - that is based on what they say about me, though. I call it "doing it all my way despite the orders I got"

Appearance: tall, charming, scary. One usually notices it in that order.
Right now, however, as I see, I'm a very young man, black haired and with everything a man is supposed to have (as far as my awareness goes) though a bit looking like a girl. I also have what you could call tattoos, or marks or drawings, over my body, and will not tell you what they mean.
Aria was too lazy to draw her own picture.

Personality: Oh, ahaha. I'm the kind of creature which you give all your love and gratitude to if you happen to be the one who summoned me, and which you hide your wishes and dreams from if you happen to be anyone else. I am also rather good in figuring out those wishes anyway, though, but more often than not, I don't feel like messing with them - for I am very loyal to my Summoner, and I love the fact they're usually idiots who don't even notice me doing things my way. Unfortunately, I get imprisoned every time the Summoner dies, until the new one appears, and my reappearances tend to happen in random time periods (always on the same place, though. I think.) so my plans are going rather slowly - and, you know, it's not easy to keep this cheerful attitude for long without dreams and wishes, and fear to feed on, and it makes me feel unpleasantly confused at the moment.

*I said I can stand it, not that I prefer it.

~Rio

Well, it was about time someone woke me up. The waiting, even the kind of waiting one does while wandering around time and dreams, gets way too long.

Yes, of course that I see years passing away rather quickly, but too many centuries is just too many centuries. And I seemed to be in the time of the Adventurers that I woke up - well, it was rather offensive no one has called for me before.

I found my way through the woods - while on it, that part of the land wasn't a forest the last time I checked - and stepped out on a nice little path, making a girl and a boy behind her jump of surprise. That was something I did unintentionally, mostly, though it could come in handy; I was rarely heard when approaching someone.

With my head cocked slightly to the side, I observed them. They seemed to be around same age: pale young man with very blue eyes and the girl with reddish hair and very green eyes. It was amusing, because mine tended to change between those colours without some logical pattern.
They both glared at me with strange expressions, and I didn't know what to say. Where is the Summoner? Candles, sacrifices, lovely choruses..?

"Who are you?" The girl finally asked, catching me unprepared. I wasn't used to introducing myself to every wanderer I happen to stumble upon, let alone if they couldn't tell who I was at all. Didn't they know what was the land they stood on? I wondered how long has it been, or if the battle I remember happening here hasn't even took place yet - I had troubles with keeping my track of time.
After such a long sleep, I knew it will take me a while to get to my full strength and start acting like myself - for now, I needed to be around someone, figure out things about the time I was in and find someone, anyone, who could know anything about me. Perhaps also kill that someone if what I hear about myself happens to be something I dislike hearing. Knowing of what happened while I was absent would also be helpful.

"Name is Astrian," I muttered, blabbing the first thing that came to my mind. "I am looking for the Adventurers, am I on the right path?"
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor