z

Young Writers Society

Harmony High

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:42 pm
View Likes
paintingtherain97 says...

Located in rural Conneticut, alongside scenic Lake Harmony, Harmony is a picturesque small town. In it is a private school and a public school, and a steep rivalry between them. Harmony High is the public high school, with students of different types with all sorts of problems. I would like this storybook to be a tapestry of teen issues woven together through the stories of about ten main characters. Such issues include sexuality, drug and alcohol abuse, divorce, death, and other things. Think Degrassi.

Rules:

1. Sex and swearing are permitted to provide a sense of realism.

2. Do not god-mod. Nobody is perfect.

3. Everything must be written in third person.

4. Try to keep the grammar and punctuation as accurate as possible.

5. Write well, and have fun!

Profile Template:

-Name (first, middle, last):

-Nickname:

-Year (freshman-senior):

-Appearance (no picture, use adjectives):

-Personality:

-Family (siblings, parents, etc):

-History/ Problems They're Facing:

-Quirks/Habits:

I hope to get some good writers.
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known..." A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:44 pm
View Likes
roostangarar says...

Can we choose whether our character goes to the public or private school?
I hae but ane gallant son, and if he were to follow me in my footsteps, how proud I shall be.

Time isn't a straight line. It's a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff

104 Reviews

Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:46 pm
View Likes

Sure.
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known..." A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens.

104 Reviews

Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:18 pm
View Likes

Name: Rachel Caroline Weston

Nickname: Rachel

Year: Sophomore

Appearance: Rachel has dark brown hair, shoulder-length and thick, which she wears half-up and half-down most of the time. Her eyes are greenish blue, like pool water, her nose small and downturned, her lips thin. Rachel has thick eyelashes a stud in her eyebrow, and another stud in her nose. There is a small scar on her neck. She usually wears bootleg jeans, Chuck Taylors, and t-shirts. Her ears stick out a little. Rachel is short and pretty skinny, mostly developed, and she's often told she looks like her siblings.

Personality: Rachel is shy but fierce. She has a lot of inner anger and sadness. Her grades are mostly Bs, except for English and Art, for which she has a great love. She is very caring and protective of her friends, but she is known to get into arguments with them when she is having a bad day. Rachel has a huge capacity for emotion, which sometimes overwhelms her, but she tries not to show it. She puts on a facade of being tough. That's the only way to survive in her family.

Extracurriculars: Rachel isn't much into school activities. She's officially in Art Club, although she doesn't attend many of the meetings, and sometimes she helps paint sets and do stage crew for the school plays. Usually, though, she hangs out at her friends' houses, goes to the library, or shuts herself into her bedroom.

Quirks: Rachel has a habit of biting her bottom lip when she's thinking. She also forgets to do her homework a lot and ends up scribbling stuff down in the first few minutes of class.

Family: Rachel lives with her Dad, older sister, and two half-brothers. Her mother is emotionally unbalanced and travels a lot, showing up at Rachel's father's doorstep every few years begging for money. Rachel's stepmom is a high-strung lady who doesn't get along with Rachel. Her father is hard-working and blue collar, with a slight drinking problem, but he's close to Rachel. Rachel's older sister is a senior named Lily, more outgoing and funloving than Rachel, as well as a soccer star. Her two half brothers, Will and Dave, are in elementary school and very hyper. She has a black lab named Star.

Problems: Rachel's unbalanced mother, her stepmother's bickering, and her father's drinking problem are difficult for Rachel to deal with. In addition to this, she is borderline anorexic and uses drugs on occaision, although the drug thing isn't really out of hand.

Reviews: 4
Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:48 am
View Likes
SidereaAquila says...

Name: Josephine Lisa Ashby
Nickname: Josie
Year: Junior
Appearance: Josie is tall, standing at six feet even, and she has a muscular, athletic build. She has light brown hair that falls to her shoulders, but she always keeps it tied back in a ponytail. Her eyes are blue-gray, her nose is straight, and she has a wide smile. She never wears makeup or jewelry, and she has very noticeable sock tan lines at her ankles. She has callouses on her hands, particularly her left, and she'll often have bruises on her face or forearms (from sports; she brags about them). She usually wears flare jeans or cargo shorts, tennis shoes, and some sort of tee or jersey.
Personality: Josie is...Josie. She doesn't care what other people think of her as long as she's happy. She loves sports of all kinds, and never turns down the chance to play. She'll talk nonstop to her friends, but is pretty reserved around people she doesn't know as well. She tends to stay out of the spotlight, which is fine for her, so most people take her for granted. She's smart, when it comes to school, and when it comes to people. She often finds herself playing therapist for her friends. She's not very social, and she hates typical high school things like homecoming and prom. If asked, she'll say whatever's on her mind, no matter how blunt it is. Most of the time, she's optimistic, but she can hold a grudge.
Extracurriculars: Josie absolutely loves baseball. She catches for the school's varsity softball team, and she plays in a community baseball league, as well. She's really good, although a little understated. She can usually be found at the local park, practicing with the team, or playing catch with her little brother.
Quirks: Josie likes to wear different colored socks, and she doodles all over her schoolwork. She likes music, but hates dancing, especially at high school dances.
Family: Josie's parents are divorced. She lives with her dad, an engineer, in their three-bedroom flat. Josie's dad is a happy, laid-back guy, and he and Josie get along really well. They share a love of sports, and they've made a tradition out of Friday night pizza and baseball or football game. Josie's only other sibling is her little brother, Jake. Jake is ten, and, contrary to most middle-school boys, he thinks his sister is pretty cool. They hang out together at home a lot, and Josie will sometimes bring him to her practices.
Problems: All Josie has ever wanted to do is play baseball. She has absolutely no idea what she wants to do with her life, and the thought of not being able to play scares her. Also, she has no interest in guys, although she hasn't taken the time (and doesn't really care) to figure out if she's lesbian.
Skittles: Taste the Spectrum

LIZARD!!!!!

Reviews: 0
Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:05 pm
Desticakes101 says...

-Name (first, middle, last): Avery S. Piest

-Nickname: Ave (pronounced AYVE not AV like avenue)

-Year (freshman-senior): Junior

-Appearance (no picture, use adjectives): Avery's mother is half Jamaican half Dominican while her father is Dutch which leaves her with a nice milk chocolate skin tone. Her hair is is long and stops at the middle of her back. Its thick and mahogany,and shiny with natural curls and turns really wavy when it rains or when she combs it out. Her eyes are dark green from her dominican heritage. She has high cheek bones, pouty lips, and is curvy beyond belief. She has dimples in both cheeks and blush's easily when complimented (which is very often).

-Personality: Avery loves the spotlight and freaks out when its on anybody but her. She hangs around a superficial crowd who only really cares about is being popular and the next party they'll be getting wasted at. Avery is different in ways no one would imagine but hides it well. She's not mean or bitchy but is more cold and withdrawn. She doesnt have many people that she truly feels she can be open with so she has a journal where she'll write stories, poems, songs, and how she really feels in certain situation. Avery doesnt know who she is or what she wants to be but she finds thatindecision is the key to life.

Extracurriculars: Avery does both gymnastics and cheerleading. Outside of school she takes private singing and piano lessons. She takes an online writing class that no one knows about and wants to keep it that way.

Quirks: Aside from partying and dating Avery loves traveling. She's been to Italy about 4 or 5 times within the last year and loves to cook. Avery is half girly girl and half artistic mind. Her room is creative and made in a mix of neon colors and pastels and stripes and intricate weaving work. She loves the confusing jungle that she call a room but her parents call a madhouse.

Family: Averys mother, Donna Piest, has severe bipolar disorder that keeps her in her room most of the time. Her father, Adriaan Piest, is a stressed middle aged man who makes quite a few million a year from investment banking but feels as if he has to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders from having to care for his wife. Not only that but the fcat that she's pregnant (which Avery doesnt know) and is having suicidal tendencies is really wearing him down. But he's always had a very close relationship with his daughter and spoils her like crazy.

Problems: Avery has a secret that she feels she can't tell anyone and also feels as if shes beginning to get warning signs of bipolar disorder. She has started drinking more alcohol than usual and has even began sneaking it into school. And suddenly the male species is looking tastier than before...
life is a beach (*chuckle chuckle* get it lol)

Reviews: 0
Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:14 am
Desticakes101 says...

Anyone gonna post in here? or did everyone forget
life is a beach (*chuckle chuckle* get it lol)

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:33 pm
ChocoCookie says...

Name: Lena John Crystal (Lee-Na)

Nickname: None.

Year: Junior

Appearance: Lena has an approximate height of 5"7 and is laid-back. She has big, round, shiny blue eyes and beautiful eyebrows. She has lips which has a smooth pink on them and skin so soft. Lena is extremely skinny and intends to wear girly accessories and clothes. She has never had a favorite for jeans but doesn't mind wearing it. She has a small belly button piercing and has pierced her nose, but doesn't wear any studs. She has soft, thick and glowing, dark brown, wavy hair which comes down till her upper chest.

Personality: Lena is very down to earth and is most of the time, sketching or walking around in the garden, doing something or the other. She adores nature and that is one of her interesting manners. But not all the time can Lena be sweet, kind and polite. In fact, she is a very confusing girl but a lot strong in the inside. She drinks alcohol and gets all drunk. And when she's drunk, she can ask one of the stupidest or random question. She is best around guys and isn't shy to over and talk to them. She is a beach-girl but not athletic at all. Lena loves her friends and never plans on changing them. She loves them as they are but will do something if they're going to lead their lives to danger. Lena isn't the arguing type and she is easily hurt. But she can bring in that anger and hurt you in possible ways you can never think off.

Extracurriculars: Lena absolutely loves shopping for crafty materials. She loves to run around and have fun just like a normal teenager but hates athletics except for football. She maybe a football freak but she never has had an interest to play it. Most of time you can see her sketching or drawing something as she is extremely talented to that. Her walls, books and even some of her dresses have all her doodles and sketches. She knows some serious Judo and is professional and is also the best Art student in her school.

Quirks: When she's upset, she has this behavior of going into the washroom and sobbing there. After that, she comes out and washes her face and bangs on the door to get her depression out. She also starts laughing at the wildest of times which she still thinks its a mystery.

Family: Lena's parents have a long history. It was first when they weren't getting along and they had called upon a divorce. They're divorce are now on the run and will get divorced in one and a half month. The thing is now they both are regretting it and don't want one but they still can't cancel. Lena has 3 siblings. Cathleen - 20, Harry - 17 and little Sam - 4. Lena has always hated her mother but does everything to help her. Lena is very close to her siblings and they share all their feelings with each other.

Problems: Lena loves to ice-skate but her Dad will never allow it. He would insist her to go for athletics instead but Lena would refuse. And with her sister being an alcoholic, Lena is more depressed that ever. Once, Cathleen even tried to drive across the road and risk her life but since Harry was there, nothing had happened.
Last edited by ChocoCookie on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.

New to YWS? We'll help you out! <3'

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:09 am
JourneyGirl says...

Name: Scarlett Amanda Froyd

Nickname: Carly

Year: Freshman

Appearance: Scarlett is about average height at about 5' 5", with silky dark brown hair that flows right down to her shoulders, and large, milk chocolate eyes. She has pale skin and wears runded, purple glasses.She also has teal colored braces. While she is plump, she has slightly muscular limbs.

Personality: Scarlett is a very artistic person who enjoys writing, music, and theatre. Though she is very shy and mostly keeps to herself, (unless talking to her very close friends) she comes alive while performing. She is also very smart, in all advanced classes, with excellent grades. Scarlett may not look like it, but she can handle herself, growing up in Brooklyn, New York before moving to Harmony, she is very street smart. While she tries to avoid people she doesn't know, she is friendly to those she must speak with, although she kind of freaks out to herself the whole time. Scarlett is only mean to those who are to her.

Family: Scarlett lives with her parents, older sister, Elizabeth, and younger brother, Alex; along with their beagle, Ashlynn, and their lizards, Sam and Fred.

History/Problems: Scarlett has been bullied her whole life, which explains her lack of self esteem. However, her family is also to blame for that, for her family only seems to care about her sister and brother; her family is extremely unaware of how much they favor her siblings, so Scarlett tries to spend as little time with them as possible. She also has a sleep disorder, making it near impossible for her to get much sleep at night, so she is always tired during the day, her doctor blames it on too much stress, however her mother denies it, and refuses her the sleep medications she had been prescribed. Scarlett's family moved to Harmony a year and a half ago, when Scarlett's father retired from the army. She misses her home of Brooklyn, and often gets upset about it. Scarlett also suffers from depression, though most people don't notice it, or her. She is very good at hiding her emotions, which has helped her make it in her family, where she does almost all of the work, while her siblings get spoiled rotten, when she brings up her parents' preference for her siblings, she is punished, which she ends up being often, normally for reasons that don't make any sense to her or her friends.

Quirks/Habits: Scarlett often fidgets when nervous, or bites her nails. When she has to talk to people she isn't very close to, she fidgets unnoticably, while she freaks out on the inside, then loses it later on. Scarlett can also be fairly forgetful, not with homework or anything, just, for example, she will put something down, go in another room, forgot where she put it and remember about a minute later.

Hope this is okay! This is my first storybook!
~Journeygirl

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:05 am
Nike says...

-Name (first, middle, last): Jane Elizabeth Wills

-Nickname: Lizzie or Jumper

-Year (freshman-senior): Junior

-Appearance (no picture, use adjectives): Jane has long-to-her-hips dark brown hair. Wears it mostly in a messy bun.
Teal eyes that are small. Soft face. A small mole on the bottom of her chin. Her skin is soft and lips are full. Wears mostly skinny or flared jeans and T-shirts and Converse. You can catch her wearing a dress. Has on her miniature clock necklace from her grandmother. Has great posture.

-Personality: She's a very quirky person. Loves to sit at home and be by herself, independent. Very stubborn and tries to out smart everyone. Confident ad hot headed. Very creative as well, she's a photographer. She is pessimistic, doesn't believe in superstitions, true love, jinx, or anything like it.

-Family (siblings, parents, etc): Mom and Dad are both Lawyers. Her older brother is studying to be a audio professional.

-History/ Problems They're Facing: Her problem is that she always falls in the wrong crowd and never finds her place so she's mostly alone. She gets into a lot of fights and all the guys she dates end up hating her. So this lead her to drinking. She drinks a lot, ends up drunk every weekend, from Friday to Sunday. But she seems to manage to sober up pretty quickly. Her nickname came from this addiction because she seemed to jump from drunk to sober very quickly. Her family has always supported her. Her mother used to be a photographer herself and dad is a writer. But her problems formed mostly from her lack of self-esteem with 'outsiders', strangers.

-Quirks/Habits: Jane loves to sing in public, and dance in private. She loves to read a lot, you can catch her with a book at anytime. Will not drink Coffee, only Tea. Coffee makes her tired. Falls hard for the wrong guy. Picks up fights. Takes random pictures everywhere she goes, carries a small camera with her at all times. She always plays with her hair.

I hope this is good (:
Attachments
Snapshot_20120912_2.JPG
It's a picture of a drawing of Jane Wills by me... it's a bit blurry. Sorry (:
Last edited by Nike on Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

267 Reviews

Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:46 pm
Nike says...

Are we going to start this storybook? Like when?

104 Reviews

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:51 pm

We need more guys. There aren't any, yet.

267 Reviews

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:22 pm
Nike says...

Can I make two profiles then? Like the one I have now and a guy?

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:43 am
ChocoCookie says...

I'll volunteer to make one too! (: I'll post the profile once I'm done with posting on other SB's. ;)
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.

New to YWS? We'll help you out! <3'

267 Reviews

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:50 am
Nike says...

Another one xD

-Name (first, middle, last): William Kobe Franco

-Nickname: Will

-Year (freshman-senior): Senior

-Appearance (no picture, use adjectives): His hair is dark brown and short, messy not even styled. Eyes are small and green, like clovers. Has dimples when smiles. Thin Lips. Tan skin. He's built and strong. Wear's whatever he can throw on, ripped jeans, band T-Shirts and high tops.

-Personality: Will is a very hard person to talk to, to be friends with. He is very intelligent and independent. He is a good actor, pretending to be a happy, smirking jerk. But really he's very lost.

-Family (siblings, parents, etc): One older sister who died from over dosing, she was in prison before. His parents are both very bright, mother a nurse and father a mechanical engineer. His family (grandparents, aunts, uncles, ect.) are distant.

-History/ Problems They're Facing: He still grieves from his sister's death. He's lost because he's been always raised in the city, his parents in huge debt. They've been living a very low class life, him having to know how to watch for himself since the age of six... once his sister started abusing herself. She was meant to watch him, take care of him and he thought of her as a role model. But she pushed him away. He thought he caused her to stay away from him. Lies. Now the family has moved to try to escape everything. The parents don't necessarily hate Will, but they blame him for everything and think he's horrible. He's his own person and was raised on the streets.

-Quirks/Habits: He tends to not really speak to a lot of people but when he does, they don't talk to him again. He writes a lot of stories randomly. Can't sleep at night, insomniac.
Attachments
Snapshot_20120912_1.JPG
A drawing of Will Franco by me... a bit blurry as well sorry (:
Last edited by Nike on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

You must believe in free will; there is no choice.
— Isaac Bashevis Singer