z

Young Writers Society

The 13th Hunger Games---Starting

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:23 pm
ShootingStars says...

Recenio Allack, Head Gamemaker: DAY 3, Night

The Games were going great. The sponsors were happy with things heating up, the viewers were excited, and even the President told Recenio he was enjoying the festivities.

There weren't very many people left- just a few nobodies and the Careers. Recenio knew the weaker ones still left would be picked off very soon, but he still wanted to bring back out his death machines: the scaled wolves.

"Prepare the wolves for the morning," the Head Gamemaker ordered.

"How many, sir?" someone squeaked.

Recenio stood up from his stool and paced the circular room, examining the holographic maps floating around. "How about three wolves? And Cerro, get some cannons ready. The tribute from District 7 is on his way to death, and it looks like the group of Careers at the Cornucopia are moving toward the cliffs."

Cerro nodded, typing in a few commands. "Yeah, there's a girl from 10 over there. Her heart rate has gone up. She's fallen off the side of the cliff."

Smiling, Recenio said, "Zoom Camera 6 in, and focus it on the Careers and the two girls on the bluff side."
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Anything your heart desires will come to you. -Jiminy Cricket

Don't be afraid to jump, to leap, to fly too far and don't be scared to touch the stars!

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:28 am
Jaden G. says...

Des- District 10 Tribute-

"Gah! Oh Good-- mmmm..." I groaned and writhed in pain shooting up my leg from the ankle. It was more or less shock that kept the tears at bay.

"Des? Des!" I heard Reed call hysterically from above. I looked back up the cliff, it might as well be one.

"Here!" I shouted back, hissing and grasping my ankle as if my will would keep it on.

"Are you okay?"

I groaned again. "Um... not really!"

"What happened?"

"I don't know," I gasped as another shot of pain ran around my foot. "But I think my ankle's broken."

"I'm coming down!"

"No!" I shouted back. "I don't want you getting hurt. It's too dark to see and too steep to climb down!"

"So what? You want me to just wait until morning?"

No, I wanted to be pulled out and put in a warm bed with milk and a lamb's fleece by my side. The tears began welling up and dripping. My body was wracking with sobs.

"Oh no, Oh goodness..."

"Des?!"

"I'm fine!" I lied. "We'll just have to wait until morning."

I heard a faint racket from up above and Reed called back darkly. "I don't think we have until morning!"

Bronze- District 1 Tribute-

We pushed our way through the dark forests, our lanterns guiding the way through the dark shrubbery. It was a chase, and my blood burned with the excitement of it. All I could see was red.

The trees began to thin out and we pushed through to an opening stopped just short of a valley full of shadows I imagined were more trees. A little girl stood alone by the side of an overlooking cliff.

"I don't think we have until morning," she called down the cliff. Was someone else there? Were they trying to climb down to the valley?

"Well, well, well... if it isn't the little girl from District Twelve?" Nya taunted.

Spoiler! :
And the plot thickens! Dun Dun DUUUUN!

Okay, so I'm imagining the arena barrier is just on the other side of the valley. If Reed can get down the cliff without breaking her neck, her and Des could bunny hop to freedom. Maybe Edur could show up and that will finally get the three of them together. [Why am I not putting this in the DT? Hmm...]

Anyway: Vampire already killed off her boy from District 7. Nya got him.
"Oh please don't tell me you're archaeologists."

"Do you have a problem with archaeologists?"

"I'm a time traveler. I laugh at archaeologists."

~Doctor Who

37 Reviews

Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:11 pm
ShootingStars says...

Reed Willimon, District 11 female tribute: DAY 3, Night

Reed spun around, her heart leaping into her throat. She backed up a couple of steps, seeing the Careers sneering down at her, their lanterns casting grim shadows across their faces.

She didn't want them to have the satisfaction of seeing her scared, so she tried putting on her best scowling face. "I'm from District 11, smart one. Get it right," she told Nya. Her voice was surprisingly steady.

Nya just scoffed, edging closer. "Where's your puny friend?" she taunted. "Almost dead? Just like that boy from 12 was?"

Tears stung Reed's eyes, a burning desire flooding her heart. She wanted to survive these Games, escape with Des, and remember Ryder and Fiske for the rest of her life.

I am going to win. Me and Des will win the Hunger Games, she told herself firmly.
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are. Anything your heart desires will come to you. -Jiminy Cricket

Don't be afraid to jump, to leap, to fly too far and don't be scared to touch the stars!

19 Reviews

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:31 am
Jaden G. says...

Bronze- District 1 Tribute-

The little 11 girl took a defensive position. Ha! As if she could take all three of us at once.

We slowly circled her, Nya on her right flank, Colton on the left and my sword aimed at her gut from the center.

My blood pumped, the adrenaline flowing through my veins. With a loud charging scream, I drove my sword towards her, but hit nothing. She gracefully ducked and dodged as Nya and Colton also attacked. I swung my sword again at her neck, but her sword met mine and slipped away to the left before I could really engage.

A few more steel met steel as we continued exchanging glancing blows while Nya and Colton flew around with their weapons, the little girl still able to dodge! How could she be able to do that!-

Suddenly she stumbled a bit, her foot almost hanging over the edge of the cliff. She was cornered without an escape! Perfect.

"I'll admit, you're good Eleven. Surprisingly," I complimented snidely. She continued to glare, her sword at the ready, but something was wrong with her eyes. She kept glancing behind her. Probably scared to death of heights or something...

"I still am," she muttered and immediately she was gone. All three of us lurched forward and watched as she spun off the side and tried to ride the face of the cliff like a wave of water.

"Well, let's go after her!" Nya demanded.

"And break my neck?" Colton asked in disbelief. "No thanks."

"We'll circle around and cut them off. Let's go!" I finally decided and started running around the edge to find a more gentle slope. She wasn't getting away that easy.

~Doctor Who

37 Reviews

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:29 pm
ShootingStars says...

Reed Willimon, District 11 female tribute: DAY 4, sunrise

The world was black for a couple of seconds. All Reed could do was hear the blood pumping through her ears, and feel her heart pounding relentlessly in her chest.

"Reed?"

The girl groaned and blinked a few times. She slowly stood up, hesitant at first. Reed had prayed she wouldn't break anything as she had taken the leap of faith down onto the ledge next to Des.

Now that she was on the ledge safely, she tested her wrists and her feet, but nothing seemed to be broken. Wiping pebbles and dirt from her curly hair, she maneuvered along the rocks to the sprawled-out form of her ally.

"Reed?" Des croaked again.

"Oh, dear Lord. I'm here, Des," Reed managed to say. Tears stung her eyes. "We're gonna get to safety, I promise."

A chill was sent down her spine as the eager shouts of the Careers echoed off of the cliff side.

Reed hoisted Des into a sitting position, trying to be as careful as possible. Suddenly, startling the two allies, a cannon shot was fired, and the face of Edur was projected into the early morning sky. A wolf howled in the distance.

19 Reviews

Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:04 pm
Jaden G. says...

Des- District 10 Tribute-

"NO!" Reed screamed, watching the ghostly face of Edur appear in the sky. "NO!"

"Reed, come on!" I tugged on her sleeve. My ankle screamed in pain, but those Careers would find a way down, somehow. If not by their own making than surely by the gamemakers. We had to move. We had to find the wall.

Reed obeyed, but more out of a charge of fury than an actually attempt to flee. Reed just wanted to run, and who could blame her. I struggled to keep up with my busted ankle, biting back the whimpers and complaints. Once again I felt like I was dragging Reed back. I was a hinderance, a liability.

Reed charged through trees, swiping at fallen branches with her sword. These woods weren't as thick as the ones above and soon the midnight black sky started to lighten and become a shade of purple and gray. The temperature began to cool down and leaves were still dripping from the stifling humidity.

We needed to find that wall, soon.

Ilija- District 10 Mentor-

I turned my back to give Kurr and Veronica their moment, but soon events caught up with us again. Veronica left, more determined than ever to get to the gamemakers, while Kurr and I continued to watch and wait for her signal.

Des fell off a ledge and I could see her ankle was hurt. That wasn't good at all. It would be all too easy for someone to pick her off. Reed faced off three Careers, to Kurr's pride, but to his shock and sorrow, we watched Edur's fate. He was hiking through the woods, following the message that Kurr had sent him about the escape. He was pretty close to the others, just on the other side of a stream seperating him from the rocky precipice two miles away.

But then the wolf came. It was different from the mutated dogs. This monster was new, even more frightening, and larger than the dogs. This monster was bred and trained to kill, and as Edur fought to stay alive, we found out it was smart too.

It finally was able to leap over Edur and before he could react, it had him by the throat and flung him into the water where it ripped him apart. When it was done, the wolf howled in victory and charged into the darkness.

Kurr slammed his fists on the surface in front of us as his face appeared on the screen. "Kurr, Reed still needs you," I said calmly, but with a heavy sympathy. This game seemed to have gone on longer than it should have.

Kurr glared at the screen that bore Reed's pushing march and Des hobbling behind her. They were so close.

Kurr gave me a look just as the screen flashed for a moment. That was our signal. Veronica had done it!

"Let's go," he muttered, I grunting an acknowledgement as we practically ran out of the large room and down the corridors. We were almost there.

~Doctor Who

37 Reviews

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:50 pm
View Likes
ShootingStars says...

Spoiler! :
I'm sorry about not posting for a while! School is so busy, but I wanted to let you know that I will be posting for the SB very soon. I can't at this moment, but possibly tomorrow. I don't know why this isn't on the DT... o.O
---Stars

19 Reviews

Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:31 pm
Jaden G. says...

Spoiler! :
Will post hpefuly before the end of this week. If not then I'll get it up beginning of nxt week. Let It Live! XD

~Doctor Who

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:34 am
ERANBEAR says...

Name: Jace Fisher
District Number: 4
Tribute
Appearance/ Picture: He is beach blonde, tan, with gray-blue eyes. Between 5'11 and 6'1''. Slim, but muscular.
Spoiler! :
Alex P.jpg

Personality: Mysterious, tough exterior, flirty, somewhat distrustful,
Abilities: Jace is great with camouflage, holding his breath underwater, he has a high tolerance for coldness and poison. His favorite weapon is a bowstaff, but he is proficient with practically any weapon.
Strengths/ Weaknesses: he is very loving, this can lead to too many unnecessary connections, and his own downfall.
Background Story: He was raised in a wealthy family, but his house was broken when his dad, an alcoholic, died because he tried to go fishing while intoxicated. His mother, unemployed, relied on Jace to bring home the food and the money.
Up for Love: Yes! (Straight)
Tribute's Symbol: He brought a phooka shell necklace that his father made.
They say the world is your oyster; but what if you keep kosher?

19 Reviews

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:51 pm
Jaden G. says...

Spoiler! :
Um... Eranbear? This SB is already really far into it. I would send a message to ShootingStars (the author) to see if you can come in right now before putting up a character. Sorry.

~Doctor Who

19 Reviews

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:09 pm
Jaden G. says...

Des-

We stopped at a tree as the sun began to rise. Practically falling beside the trunk, I hoisted my leg up and looked at the damage. In the light I could see the terrible swelling and bruises that blew up my ankle.

"This is bad," I muttered. "Reed, do you see a think stick?" I asked, trying to remain calm. There was no acknowledgement. I turned my head and saw her staring off into the trees.

"Reed?" I asked. She jumped a little and looked back at me, her eyes puffy, red, and hard. "Do you see a thick stick?"

"Uh... yeah," she mumbled and reached for one of the branches, cracking a limb and handing to me. I nodded my thanks and began to rip away at my shirt, tying the strips around the stick and my leg to make a splint.

I knew how bad she was hurting. It was the same hurt we felt when we lost Luce... and Fiske... and Ryder... and now Edur.

"Are you going to be okay?" I asked feebly.

Reed nodded. "Yeah... I just need a moment."

Tilting my head back to rest on the course bark of the tree trunk, I heard her shuffling next to me, and for a moment she looked like little Reed, the scared innocent girl instead of Reed the tribute.

"How are we supposed to live with ourselves after all of this?"

"I don't think they intend us to live at all," I answered darkly. That wasn't a good thing to say. I sighed, "I don't know. If we make it out of the arena, I just want to forget. Forget all of this, like it never happened."

Reed nodded her agreement. "But," I continued. "We aren't going to be able to do that. We are going to see their faces... remember their names... suddenly find ourselves in a cold sweat after dreaming about monsters and murderous children..."

I shuddered and tears began to slip down my cheeks. "I guess we'll do what we've done here. What we'll have to do for the rest of our lives... Survive."

~Doctor Who

37 Reviews

Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:35 pm
ShootingStars says...

(I am a horrible person for not posting. You can virtually punch me if you'd like!!!)

Reed Willimon, District 11 female tribute: DAY 4, morning

"I guess we'll do what we've done here. What we'll have to do for the rest of our lives... Survive."

Reed shivered at her ally's words. It was an eerie thought she didn't particularly like being in her mind.

After Reed assisted Des in fixing up her horribly swollen ankle, they were silent for a while, slowly moving in a straight line through the sparse trees. Well, at least Reed hoped they were going in a straight path.

After a few minutes of no discussion between the two girls, Reed finally said quietly, "You know, I actually kind of don't want to forget about the Games. I mean, the entire aspect of murdering children is horribly wrong..." she trailed off, taking a breath. "But I never want to forget about Fiske, Edur, or Ryder. Or any of the other poor tributes I never got a chance to meet." She bit her lip, fighting back tears. Staying strong in these traumatic four days was almost impossible now for Reed. She looked up at Des who was limping along next to her. "You're my sister, okay, Des?" she told the other tribute. "We may not be related in blood, but after everything that's happened to us, you are my sister. We'll continue to stick together."

Reed sighed heavily, then scooped up a jagged stone from the leaf littered ground, still moving ahead. She pulled her arm back, and chucked the rock as hard as she could through a break in the trees. She waited for it to hit the ground... but it struck something in the middle of the air instead. The rock bounced back to the forest floor and skidded to a halt.

Arching an eyebrow, Reed asked, "Did you see that?"

Des shook her head and replied, "See what?" She tensed up.

"Watch," Reed said, suddenly stopping. She gingerly picked up another fairly good sized rock, and threw it in the same direction she did before. Same as the first stone, the next one seemed to hit an invisible wall.

Realization struck the two allies at the exact same time. Des's eyes widened, and she grinned broadly, despite her badly hurt ankle. "Is that what I think it is?"

Reed nodded, laughing with joy. Des joined in giggling uncontrollably, too. This was it.

--------------------------------------

Kurr, District 11 Mentor: DAY 4, morning

Kurr smiled as he watched the monitors with Ilija, tracking the progress of Des and Reed. He rarely ever grinned, but this was more than exciting. They were about to defy the Capitol- Reed, Des, Kurr, Ilija, and Veronica- and his remaining tribute was going to live. Before, Kurr didn't allow himself to have hope for his two tributes. Hope led to pain when it came to the Hunger Games. If your hopes as a mentor were high for your tributes, the shock and sadness that came after hearing their death cannons was worse than unbearable. But now, Kurr believed Des and Reed were going to escape.

They had reached the wall.

19 Reviews

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:03 pm
Jaden G. says...

Des- District 10

I walked up to the invisible wall and poked it with a stick. It wasn't too hard, but I could feel a force trying to push it back, like two magnets that won't go together. The energy from the wall caused the stick to vibrate before suddenly sending the stick flying and me a few steps backwards.

"That wasn't too smart," commented Reed. I gave her a look before looking back at the barrier.

"Sure it was. Now we know we can't touch it."

"So how do we get out?"

Behind us there was a wolfish howl... the same one from the night before when Edur died. It was still a good few miles away, but it still sent a child down my spine.

"We should get moving," said Reed. I agreed, found a tall branch to lean my weight on and we set off alongside the wall. We would know whenever we got too close to it by the buzzing sensation on our skin.

"They're not going to let us go so easily," I whispered, mostly to myself. "And Kurr never wrote how we were getting out..."

"Des, stop mumbling. We'll get out. Kurr will pull through."

It must've been nice for Reed to trust her mentor. My mentor had been silent for days. I couldn't even remember the last time I received anything from my sponsors. Was it after my hysterical depart with Ryder or the busted ankle that they gave up on me?

There was another howl, this time closer. "Hey Reed?"

"I'm thinking the same thing," she answered, her pace growing a little faster.

"It's after us."

Ilija- District 10 mentor-

"Alright, they're at the wall. Now we just need to get the field off line and let them pass," I mumbled. "Where's Veronica?"

"I don't know," said Kurr. "You would think she would have sent us a message by now..."

"I don't like this."

"Me neither. Let's go get her."

Spoiler! :
So now it is my turn to apologize profusely. XD I said I would post and I didn't.... I'm sorry. I'm thinking we need to move the mentor story along because Kurr and Ilija have really been standing there watching for at least one full day and night. Maybe Veronica got caught and now Kurr and Ilija are on their way to save her? Or find her dead?

~Doctor Who

while she was studying the ways of pasta he was studying the ways of the sword
— soundofmind