z

Young Writers Society

Murder In Upper Tidley!

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:09 pm
guineapiggirl says...

Upper Tidley is a small, sleepy village where everyone knows everyone and nothing much ever happens but anything that does is gossiped about LOADS! There’s a pub, a village shop/post-office, a church, a tiny village school and a park, and a couple of farms. There’s a Pub Quiz once a month and a farmer’s market on Saturday mornings, Mothers Union meetings and choir practice. That’s the village life.
This is what has happened. Rumours that Ellen Browning, the seventeen-year-old daughter of the pub land-lord, is pregnant are spreading through the village. These are found to be true! People say that it’s not her boyfriend’s (Tom Hench, a farmer’s son) baby... But Ellen won’t say who the father is. And then the girl is murdered! Who is it- her jealous boyfriend, the secret father or the mad old lady on the hill? Opinions differ.
You are villagers. Try to make your characters interesting and a little bit eccentric, and not all teenagers. You will have to decide who you think the murderer is, and you can get up to all sorts in your spare time e.g. love affairs, arguments etc. I will be the detective, Ms. Worthington-Smythe, who comes to stay with the Browning’s and investigates the case.
So- here are some ideas of your characters.

Necessary characters that I will play if no-one else takes them-

Mr Browning- Being the pub land-lord, he could be a drunkard. Maybe even violent? Think about how he will be affected by his daughter’s death, and what he’ll do to whoever he thinks the murderer is.

Mrs. Browning- She could have an affair, or she could go crazy with grief. Whatever you think.

Tom Hench- How will he feel about his possibly-unfaithful girlfriend’s death? Might he even be the murderer? Will he find a new love?

Mad Old Lady On The Hill- There’s one in every village, isn’t there? What are her views on the girl’s pregnancy? What madness will she do? I don't mind being her, should be a laugh!

Optional suggested characters-

The Shop-Owner/ Post-People- Could be good gossipers? Have relationships?

The Vicar- If you make this character a stereotypical elderly male fool I will be annoyed and not accept him. Could be female? Could be young?

The Teacher- Make this character whoever you like.

The Browning Children- How will they deal with their sister’s death? What will they do?

Farmers and Families- As well as the Hench farming family, there ought to be a couple of other farmers.

Any other villager you want to be

Rules:
No Swearing. Use expressions like ‘Darn it!’, ‘I say!’, ‘Wotho!’, ‘Crikey!’ or just stars.
No Blasphemy. I count this as swearing.
Nothing beyond kissing described.
No magical powers.
No killing other people’s characters without asking them!
No bad grammar or spelling!
Only take three characters maximum each.
I think that’s it....
I hope people get involved. I’ll P.M. you if I think you should be the murderer (feel free to say you don’t want to, and think of an alternative motive)!

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:03 pm
Gingerhead says...

Hi there, Romans. I'd like to play a Browning child please.

Name: Adalyne Browning

Appearance: she has brown eyes and curly red hair, and she's tall for her age. She has mysterious scratch-marks on her arms and stomach, and is always covered in bruises. Adalyne is also a cripple, so she has one limp foot. She is also a STUTTERER. (STAMMERER, WHATEVER)

Personality: Adalyne is quiet and shy since the untimely death (HEM-MURDER) of her sister Ellen, and refuses to speak to most people. She's a funny and sarcastic character, though,and always believes that Ellen was faithful. She never had any suspicions about Ellen's unfaithful pregnancy, and even if Adalyne did have suspicions, she didn't tell anybody....
Down once more into the dungeons of my black despair. Down we plunge into the prisons of my mind.....- Phantom of the opera

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:52 pm
guineapiggirl says...

Awesome- one character! If you want to make any more then that's cool gingerhead. It looks like we might not be able to do this if no-one else joins... :(

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:57 pm
Cspr says...

Oooh. A /murder mystery/. -has a small thing for Arthur's Sherlock Holmes- May I claim a character? I'll fill out the profile in a bit. (First off, admittedly I don't have oodles of time, but I'll storybook when I can.) The charrie will probably be a young, eccentric male villager who takes to stalking people he likes (including the detective) if that's fine. (I imagine a young, modern Sherlock doing that. Like, he's distracted by dust on someone's jacket--so he follows them for three miles in an attempt to figure out where it came from.) Could he be suspected slightly/a lot just for being an annoying weirdo?
My SPD senses are tingling.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:41 pm
View Likes
xXmusicaXx says...

I want the lady on the hill!!
I had no idea this SB was open!!

Oh, and can I have the spot for Ellen's best friend? (She knows something!)
XD
"Married to music - 'nuff said."
"Freedom is everything to me."

"Have you any idea why a raven is like a writing desk?"
"I shall futterwacken vigorously"
~ Tarrant Hightop, Alice in Wonderland.

Have a biscuit, Potter.
— Professor McGonagall