z

Young Writers Society

The Nevermore Contract(closed)

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:07 pm
KindredSpiritBee says...

Cassie Levkov

"I don't care!" I snapped at the man standing in the doorway, feeling both my hands ignite. I leapt to my feet and gripped my skirt to stop myself from flinging flames at the man's face. I had never felt quite so vicious before, regardless of gender. But right in that moment I wanted to destroy Caleb, I wanted to cause him more harm than he would be able to stand. I wanted to hurt him so badly that it terrified me. What was happening to me? Was I so bitter about what had happened to me that I was willing to kill to hurt people as badly as I had been hurt? That was wrong! So so wrong.

I shook my head and looked at Caleb, about to apologise.

It's time, she's awakened.

There was a pull towards some sort of power and immediately I heard Caleb's voice like he was talking to me. But he wasn't moving his mouth.

"I need to go, but is it safe to leave this girl in here alone?"

I broke eye contact immediatly, looking down at my still burning hands. What on earth? What jus-

There was a pull. A sharp tug that had me on my toes to stop from following it. Whatever it was that was pulling me, I needed to get to it, immediately.

I moved around Caleb and through the doorway, following where the tug was taking me. I made it to the stairs without running into anyone, but after that the halls were packed with people. They were pushing, laughing, talking. Didn't they feel that pull? Didn't they need to go somewhere. I shoved past a few people, muttering apologies to whoever I hit, and then it was suddenly ten times louder.

"I wonder if he likes-"

"Wow, look at that girls face! It looks-"

"I hope we have some sort of pasta for dinner-"

"Look at-"

"Ha ha, did you-"

My gosh-"

"How-"

"No-"

Hundreds of voices filled my ears, practically shouting in my ears in an effort to be heard and all talking over eachother. I could only catch snatches of what they were saying as the sounds got louder and blended into one. I clapped my hands over my ears and tried to hurry out of the crowd. My ears were burning with the sheer amount of sound blaring in them. I felt tears prick my eyes at the pain and started running. I had to get away from all the noise!

I came out in a courtyard near the girl's dorm and took a deep breath at the sudden silence. The pain was still there, and a warm liquid was on the palms of my hands where they had been covering my ears. Then it was like someone was shouting at me.

"After years of waiting, years of planning. I will finally make you hurt as badly as you made me hurt Delilah. You aren't getting away from me." Maniac laughter followed and I slowly pulled my hands away from my ears, actually listening to the words as the woman's voice went on and on. Then it hit me. She was going to hurt someone!

I ran towards the voice. "Stop!" I cried out. "You can't do that!" The woman came into view, attacking a girl about my age and I reacted. I sent a gust of wind that was blistering hot at her, knocking her off balance. "Leave that poor girl alone!"

((If this isn't okay, I can edit! Just lemme know!))
Llamas do not have six packs

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:05 am
Ahnleh says...

Liam

Here we go, I thought as I sensed a sudden power in the air. Her power had finally awakened. I had to get to her, we all did; we had to protect her from what was sure to be after her.

Rushing outside, I ran through the less popular areas of the school toward the courtyard. I sensed someone was already there with her, maybe more than one person. I couldn't tell if they were trying to help or hurt her, but I picked up the pace and finally burst into the courtyard.

Delilah was standing in a ring of purple flames, with a small girl in front of her with her hand around Deliliah's throat. I could see the girl's mouth moving, but I couldn't make out any words. Delilah was grasping desperately at the hand, trying to make it release its hold.

Suddenly, a dark haired girl rushed forward, holding out her hands. "Leave that poor girl alone!" She cried, and a great wind came from her outstreached hands to knock down the girl. I felt a hot breese brush past my face and dashed for Delilah. Saving her was the first priority; defeating her would-be killer came at a close second. Gathering Delilah in my arms, I ran for the entrance of the dorms.

She sat heavily on the stone floor, leaning up against the wall and gasping for breath. "Stay here," I told her. "Until you can breathe and stand again, just stay low."

I stood and looked at the girl who had attacked her again, letting a grin overcome my face. "Oh, I'm gonna enjoy this," I said, running at her with a loud cry.

Danie

I woke with a start. What was that? I never passed out; never! And what was that feeling? I had to be somewhere. Had I forgotten to meet someone, or to get something? It felt more like...someone was in trouble, and it was close. I tried to get up from the bed, but I couldn't move; it felt like I was tied up with weights and chains. I had heard somewhere if you were scared or nervous, it sometimes made you freeze up, so I tried relaxing. Closing my eyes and taking deep breaths, I was finally able to get up.

I walked carefully out of the room, for some reason stepping lightly as to not make a sound on the floor. I could hear voices, muffled words behind closed doors and from further away. Making my way to the doors, I stepped outside just in time to see the boy who had led me to class earlier- Liam, I think?- run yelling into the courtyard.

I was about to roll my eyes when saw a girl sitting slumped against the pillar Liam had just run from, breathing heavily and her eyes wide. "Oh, my gosh! Are you okay?" I gasped, kneeling next to her. She nodded wordlessly, looking out at the yard.

"Why?" she whispered to herself inbetween breaths, slowly getting calmer. I looked to where she had fixed her gaze, and my eyes widened. In the middle of the courtyard stood a girl, who couldn't have been any taller than me, easily dodging Liam in his charge at her. Closer to us stood another girl, wearing the school uniform and sporting a fierce burn across her face. She looked just about ready to kill the other girl.

"What's going on?!" I asked, not really expecting an answer.

The girl with the burn glanced down at me for an instance, nothing showing on her face. She then turned and raised her hands at her enemy, shooting a giant sphere of fire at her. I suddenly felt so powerless; what could I do? I didn't have any powers. I wasn't an elf, dragon, vampire who could use their species' natural power to take down an enemy. I was just a useless nymph with wolf ears and a tail that always got in the way. I felt hot, angry tears build up in my eyes and I blinked furiously to get rid of them.

The girl who had been leaning against the stone suddenly stood up and walked carefully into the courtyard. "Jane..." she whispered, but it seemed to carry across the loud make-shift battlefield.

(I hope this is okay, Fading. I don't mean to sound like I'm forcing Delilah into anything with Jane. Please, anyone, tell me if there's anything to fix)
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of liberty."
~Jorge Luis Borges

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:11 am
amygabb says...

Fawn:

I embraced the pull towards the Iris Priestess, allowing its sway to guide me to her. Inside my head, I heard her gasping for air and I quickened my pace, thanking the heavens that I hadn’t wore my uniform today. Instead, this morning I had donned a black frock and four inch heels. That is what I’m most comfortable in. My battle outfit.
I let me instincts take over. My whole life, I had been trained for this. I was born just before the war began and was taken in by the generals to be trained as their secret weapon. After all, who would suspect a beautiful girl? During my training, I was told to disconnect with my emotions. Ironically, I have no problem with that anymore.
I sprint over the cobblestoned courtyard, hunting for the Iris Priestess. Liam and a small dark girl attack a - wait, one of the maids? Then the maid lets out a guttural yowl and charges towards the girl, her back exposed to me. The dark-haired girl releases a flare of fire towards the maid. Before I understand what is happening, the girl is thrown against the wall and the maid is completely unharmed. I take the advantage of my position and charge her. I kick her mercilessly in the small of her back (whoever said heels aren’t practical was wrong). The maid screams and trips.
“Pick on someone your own size,” I sneer. Liam carries the Iris Priestess out of harms way. I swear I hear the maid growl when she leaps up. She swings a right hook but I duck and kick her legs out reflexively. Out of the blue, I am overwhelmed by the scent of banana bread. It is worse than having her hit me. I know how to react to physical pain. She giggles.
“You bitch,” I whisper. That is the only memory I have of my mother. She smelled like banana bread. I see Liam swing at her. I blink a few times and shake me head. I start to circle her again. Liam and I back her into a corner.
There is a scream. I scan the courtyard. I shiver as I register that it is in my head. Then all I can see is the face of the little boy the scream belongs to. I remember him. I really never forgot. I sink to my knees.
“Please,” the boy begs, “you don’t have to do this.” He looks at the corpses of his family on the floor beside him. His eyes full with tears. “Please. I won’t say anything.” His voice trembles. I don’t even hesitate and slit his throat like the monster I am.
Someone kicks me in the ribs.
Life is not about how you sing in the sun, it is about how you dance in the rain.

6 Reviews

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:42 am
Secrets13 says...

Noen
My senses kicked into high gear as I felt the power explode from all directions, the Prietess, the Nakia girls, and another, foreign power.
"Nenlia." I whispered and bolted down the hall, looking for her. Unconciously I ended up in the main courtyard, where battle fights and shoots echoed loudly. I recognized most of the knights, and some of the Nakia girls, but Nenlia was no where in sight.
"Noen!" Help us!" a voice shouted at me. I noticed the prietess hurt and my instincts forced me to jump into battle. Before I could really do anything though, my mind was assaulted, memories flashing past my mind. I collasped to the ground, clutching my head.
"Mommy, daddy? Where are you?" a boy of 8 cried out in his empty house. His parents were gone.
I punched the ground in the memory of anger, cutting my knuckles open. The warm blood rolled down my hand and shocked me out of my memory.
"Nenlia!" I shouted, glancing around for her. When I couldn't find her, I sighed slightly then joined in the battle. Hope fully she was safe...

Nenlia
I sat in the bathroom, throwing up what felt like my meals for the past week. My head was throbbing, and I had stripped off my clothes because I was so hot.. Suddenly, something volted through my body, a sensation, almost like I was lifting off the ground, being filled with helium or the sort. A shiver ran through my body and then my bones began to creak, and shift in awkward directions. I let out a cry, not because it hurt, but because the sensation was so awkward, and I was scared of what was happening. I could feel my body shifting into a different form, but before I knew it, it was over. I looked down at my hands, but they weren't hands anymore. Large snowy grey paws had replaced my hands. I let out a shout, but it came out a a bark. I walked out of the stall and lifted my paws up onto a sink so I could look in the mirror. The head of a snow white wolf stared back at me.
"What is going on!?" I thought to myself. Then I felt something pulled at me, telling me to go somewhere.
'The prietess...' A voice seemed to whisper. I bolted out of the bathroom and followed the scent that wafted into my nose: blood.

Noen
My body was cut up, and my breathing was stiff. I hadn't fought like this in a while, and not against an enemy that seemed impossible to beat. Unfortuantly, I wasn't the only one. Everyone else around me was bruised and bleeding, but I still couldn't see Nenlia.
"She'll be here soon." Aden said behind me. I turned to glance at him. If I had feelings, I would probably looked worried. Aden nodded his head in understandment, and then ran at the dark-haired girl, aiming for her throat. Suddenly, a howl echoed over the battlefield. I glanced over to where the sound was coming from: a white wolf with a fiery red tipped tail and hind legs.
"Nenlia?" I asked. The wolf glanced over at me for a split second and then ran over, knocking me over.
"Nenlia, is that you?" I asked again. The wolf nodded and nuzzled her head against my leg, and then looked over my wounds.
"I'll be okay." I told her, rubbing her head gently, "We have a bigger problem." I pointed at the dark-haired girl, that every one was aiming at. Nenlia let out a deep, gutteral growl.
Every answer is only a question away.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:41 pm
KindredSpiritBee says...

Cassondra Levkov

"Casssss..." My brother slurred out, like it was hard for him to speak.

I shook my head expirementally, seeing if I could lift it. It was pounding and my face was aching, the pain was incredible. I managed to get one eye open and look at him, feeling horror flood me at what I saw. Fresh burns marred my brother's once hansome features, twsting and contorting them into something much sadder, much less alive. His clothes were burned off, hardly existent at all, and he laid next to a mound of blackened shards of metal. His invention. My birthday present. Oh no.

"Cassie..." He groaned out.

"I'm here." I said slowly, incredible pain shooting through me at the movement. I saw stars it was so bad. It felt like the flesh of my face had been burned off, but that was impossible. I was a fire elf.

"You... Did this... You kill... Killed me..."

I stared in horror as the light died from his eyes. I killed him.

Claws raked my back and I fell to the ground, tasting dirt in my mouth. That wasn't real. It wasn't real at all.

Maniac laughter sounded above me, along with the sounds of fighting. What? What was going on? Then I remembered. The girl, and the woman. The fight. How could I have lost focus at a time like that?! I jumped up, and the realization flooded me as I focused on the individual. She was doing that. She was triggering memories in people and twisting them. She did that to me. My vision narrowed, focusing on one woman, and I snapped my fingers, twisting the flame into a whip. She wouldn't hurt anyone else anymore. Not if I could help it.

Instead of words, a picture formed in my mind, a memory. But not one of my own, the ideas certainly weren't mine. In fact it starred one of the men attacking her. "Noen!" I warned, taking the name from her idea and hoping it was the right one.
Llamas do not have six packs

6 Reviews

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:52 am
Secrets13 says...

Nenlia
"Noen!" I heard Cassondra shout. I barely turned my head in time to see the dark-haired girl fly at Noen. I let out a gutteral growl and something flowed through my body. Before I knew the girl had frozen where she stood.
'What?' I asked myself, but pulled Noen out of the way instead. Less than a breath later, the girl broke free of whatever was holding her in place, and headed towards us. I leapt at her, my jaw clamping tight around her arm. I was thrown to the side like a rag doll. When I got to my feet, I saw that I had done barely any damage to her.
"We can't hurt her." I heard Cassondra growl next to me. I looked over at her, glancing at her bruised and bleeding body. She wasn't the only one. Everyone was hurt at least.
'What do we do? The prietess is out only hope and she's out of the battle at the moment.' I mused.
"We need to get to the prietess." Cassondra replied.
'What?' I thought.
"I don't know how but I can hear your thoughts." Cassondra replied, glancing down at me for a second, then nodded. We bolted off.

Noen
I saw Nenlia toss aside, and started to run to her, but before I could move, a pair of cold hands were wrapped around my throat, slowly closing my windpipe. Her eyes were unfocused, mouth bared in a fierce human snarl. Something was odd with this girl, as if... Suddenly a figure pulled the girl away from me, and held out a hand to me.
"Thanks Caleb." I replied and took his hand and sttod up.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:29 am
Shadowlight says...

Caleb/courtyard:

I gave Noen a hand up, and once he was standing put myself between him and the girl.

"Thanks Caleb." He said, voice hoarse and raspy, I risked a quick look back and smiled- best I could remember.

"No problem, sorry I'm late." I faced the girl again and pointed my sword at her, taking a stance. There was no way I'd let her get past my guard- I needed to protect everyone.

"You went to get your sword, really Caleb?" I heard Rocco say, he sounded surprised.

"Well someone had to." I said, I think I sounded cheeky... but I wasn't sure.

"Stop ignoring me!" the girl screamed launching herself at me hands outstretched. I shoved Noen to one side and dived to the other, rolling away and getting back to my feet. I faced her again, her eyes bore into mine and I could actually feel her digging around in my memories.

Flashes of the war suddenly rose before me. All of the atrocities I had taken part in were shown in surprising detail- horrible graphic detail. all of the wholesale slaughter and savage murders that had taken place. it was enough to break a mans heart and pluralize him with guilt- but I wasn't a man anymore, I wasn't even truly alive...

"That's not going to work." I said to her- Jane i think her name was, one of the schools maids- she started slightly. "I am a Knight, cursed to feel nothing. Those memories hold no emotion for me anymore, though I wish they did. You are going to have to try something else."

A animal like scream came from Jane then as a wave of pure, raw, evil power exploded from her small body and threw everyone off balance. I made a dive at her and struck a blow that would have split her from skull to shoulder- but my blade was turned in my hand and I narrowly missed stabbing my own leg. I felt her hard little nails rake across my face, and then another blast of raw energy sent me flying backwards into the wall. I hit with a bone jarring thud and fell to the ground- I think my shoulder was dislocated, but as I couldn't feel pain anymore, I jumped back up and stood with the other knights- trying to protect the Nakia...

(As always if I have done anything amiss PM me and I will gladly edit.)
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:03 pm
Betheny says...

Isabell Nora

After spending roughly one hundred years with Dikurin Knights had had it's effects on me. For example, I wasn't imune to the group thoughts and messages they would often share with oneanother, and today was no different. I heard Aden: It's time she awakend. Spending one hundered years with the Kinghts, I may as well be a Knight. Before the poor girl had time to answer me I was gone. I rushed, although I had no idea as to were to, I just followed the pull of the Kinghts. The always seemed to have their own little feild of gravity when in a group. Pushing my way through the dinner time crowds, I was nothing more than a whisper to them, I heard the comotion before I saw it...

Jane? One of the Academy maids? Seriously? Oh, good Gods above. I cursed running to join the fight. I saw almost all the Knights forming a circle around her, and a few of the Academy's girls, the Nakia girls. Of course. I thought, taking my place beside the Dikurin warriors of old. I saw Caleb to my left and Liam to my right. Both were bleeding and Caleb seemed to have a dislocated arm, but he carried on regardless.
"A vampire?" Jane roared turning to me, "A vampire amoung Knights?! I shall crush you. I never liked vampires, you inperticular." I heard Liam shout out to me: "Don't let her into your head!" I grinned.
"So a psychic? You don't often get to meet one of them lot. But you know what's interesting? These Kights don't feel, and that's a psychic's main weapon is it not? To find memories and use them to hurt and paralyse your vitims while you rip them to shreds?" She let out a low hiss, her attention was deffinatley focused on me. I smiled, revealing the fangs I tried so hard to conceal.
"What's the point of this?" She used to sound so nice... I could tell the Knights around me were getting jittery, and probalbly wondered what the hell I was doing. I was trying my damdest to give them a breather.
"Your going to crush me," I said stepping closer, "Try doing that to pissed off, one hundred and thirty-four year old vampire, who dose not like people hitting her friends and can turn off all emotion... Save for that hate." I face to face with her now, my voice had dropped. I had become the menicing thing I had been created to be, and I hit her. A full upper-cut to the chin. And all she did was stagger, and not even that much, before flining me across the courtyard.
"The world existed to be read. And I read it." - L.S Schwartz, Ruined by Reading

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:00 pm
gleek456 says...

Rosie Spencer

A sharp pain in my chest. That's what I felt. I quickly stood up and massaged my temples. What was going on? I looked through a window to see a group of people fighting a woman, and Rocco was in it! How did he leave my sight?! I immediately rush to the courtyard to see someone flung across the courtyard. The woman snapped her head towards me.

"What- Who..." I trailed off. The woman's lips curled up into a smile, then she began laughing.

"Another one?" she cried. Nope. You shouldn't have come here Rosie. You're just going to get yourself into trouble again. The woman began walking after me. Run? No. She will probably run faster than me. Hide? Where exactly?! No. Stay and fight. But... How?! I looked towards a man with a sword. Instantly, I grabbed the sword from his hands and attacked the woman. Though, she blocked it with her arm, causing some blood to run down to her elbow.

"You think that would work?" she taunted. I pulled the sword off her arm and backed away a few steps, but it didn't help that much. The woman grabbed my wrist and held her arm around my neck. She took the sword away from me, and examined it.

Sorry about the sword, I mouthed towards the man.

(I really hope this is okay!)
YOU'VE GOT THAT ONE THING

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:19 pm
FadingBrighter says...

Aden
Aden had leapt into the air, aiming for Jane's throat then letting the throwing stars loose. They formed from the blood that dripped from his wounds and hardened into iron that flew through the air at break-neck speeds.
Jane laughed, dodging the first five stars, then snatching the sixth out of thin air, gripping it until she bled.
"You can't stop me. I will become her." She growled, voice guttural. Her eyes were burning gold now, so different from their original blue. Her teeth were small and shark like, and her hair was beginning to turn white, and floated about her as if she were in water.
Aden landed on the ground, looking up to see that he was no longer in front of Ix academy. Instead, he stood in the forest, surrounded by darkness. Before him sat a great cave, which awakened within him both a sense of joy and pain.
Pulled forward by an invisible force, Aden entered the cave, following the twisting caverns to a secret place.
My brother and i used to come here to play whenever we were able to sneak away. He was wise for bringing her here, where non would find her. But she wasn't safe from me... A voice whispered. Aden remembered these thoughts, these emotions. The anger, the sadness, the fear.
I'll find her and kill her, that filthy Nether-girl. I'll make it so theirs nothing left.
Aden rounded the corner, following the flickering firelight. As soon as he did though, he stopped to adjust to the brightness.
And sitting there, before him, was a girl with light brown hair and violet eyes.
" I'm glad youve returned, I..." the girl turned, eyes widening in fear when she saw Aden. Her face was pretty, but cut up and her left arm was in a sling."Who are you?" she demanded, pulling a dagger from her sling and holding it up in defense.
"Ha, you think that can hurt me?" Aden ran forward, and before the girl could so much as blink, he had her in a death grip.
"You don't have a chance. I'll kill you, I'll kill you for him. I won't let you stop him any longer." The girl didn't fight, didn't so much as blink. Instead, she looked away and she refused to Adens gaze.
"I'll kill you, because youll never be good enough for him."
The girl looked up, eyes meeting Adens, tears glistening on her cheeks.
"I know I'll never be good enough!" she cried. Aden looked at her in suprise. "I know I dont deserve his love. i know I never can." her hands clenched into fists so tight that blood ran down her wrists, eyes burning. 'But as long as he chooses to feel this way, i will never stop doing everything in my power to make him happy!" Aden stared, unmoving. Then he dropped his arm, releasing her from his hold.

That was the moment Aden's life had changed forever. What would have happened if he'd killed her?
Aden, stay with me.someone whispered. Aden looked up, no0 longer in the cave but in a field of flowers.Delilah stood before him, smiling softly sweetly.
Stay with me. I don’t want to be alone. Aden stepped toward her, confusion slipping away.
“Delilah…” he murmured longingly.
I lov you Aden. Aden stopped, staring at the girl he loved.
“Yolur not her.” He hated those words. He wished more than anything that the fake before him could be the real Delilah, the woman who had stolen his heart away then cursed him for all eternity to ease his pain. But she wasn’t.
The fake merely continued to smile.
What?
“My Delilah would never tell me she loved me. Never. Not since that day. Because I’m not the only one she loves.”
Aden…Aden ran forward, pulling out the dagger he always kept in his pocket and swinging at the image. He hit, a crack forming around his blade. Then the vision shattered.
Delilah
“Jane…” she whispered, then collapsed to the earth.
My priestess, you’ve awakened at last…
Delilah sat up, glancing around her. She sat outside, the sun shining warmly above her. Except, it wasn’t the sun. Instead, she found herself looking at a great house, dancing with orange flames.
No, not again. I cant lose it again.
Delilah stood, running towards the flames and throwing open the door.
“Mother! Father! Daegan!” she cried, thundering up the staircase. The flames incased everything, burning away the memories she had held so dear. That’s what hatred and sadness did. They burned.
“Mother!” Delilah burst into her parents’ room, waiting for the image that filled her nightmares every night. Instead, she found herself in the grand hall of Illixandria, facing a lone girl.
“Jane?”
Delilah is dreaming, so still go ahead and have fun writing=)
“Omnia mutantur, nihil interit (everything changes, nothing perishes).”
― Ovid, Metamorphoses

6 Reviews

Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:45 pm
Secrets13 says...

Nenlia
I followed behind Cassondra, my paws barely clipping her heels.
"Jane.." I heard her whisper before she passed out again.
'Hurry! We need to protect her from Jane!' I said to Cassondra. I risked a glance at Jane. Then stopped. I couldn't believe my eyes. The girls eyes were a blazing gold and her teeth were sharp and pointed and her body...Her body was slowly warping, like warm clay being formed into a shape that was almost unrecoganizable.
'What?' I started to ask, but something sharp flew towards my head. I barely dodged and let out a low snarl.
"Nenlia!" Cassondra shouted. I ignored her and faced the human, i think, in front of me.
'I won't forgive you for hurting my friends.' She snarled at the creature. She only smiled and turned away to attack someone else. I bolted after her, latching onto her neck.
"Get off mongrel." She hissed in a deep gutteral voice and threw me back into a wall, snapping one of my legs.

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:54 pm
amygabb says...

Blaze:

I hear a voice. Jane, it moans and I am consumed by an urge to help the owner of the voice in my head. This really isn’t normal.
A force pulls me up from the basement onto the ground level, around to the back of campus to the courtyard. I hear shouting and curses and I quicken my pace. Oh God, I think. The courtyard looks like a battlefield. I recognize about a third of its warriors from my classes. Most of them are bloody but still fighting the horrific figure in the middle.
As I come into sight, the figure bears its teeth in a menacing simper.
“Another one! Come to play, dragon?” It cackles.
I freeze in my tracks. No one knows that I am a dragon, besides that goblin, but I doubt he’s said a word to anyone since I accidentally made him fall down the stairs. How does this monster know that?
The thing starts towards me and I know in the pit of my stomach that this won’t end well. I can’t fight this thing. I haven’t hit anyone in my life. That doesn’t stop the monster. It kicks me so hard I fly back into one of the statues that decorate the courtyard. I hear at least two of my ribs crack.
My mind is racing wildly. How do I defend myself? I remember the goblin and the stairs. Can I do that again? What was it anyway? I made the rug move, I know it, I felt it.
“Look at you,” it coos, “You’re just a child! You really have gotten in over your head. What will your mother say?” I feel a weird sensation, as if someone is sifting through my thoughts. “Oh, that’s right. She would say ‘good riddance’.”
At this moment, I hate this thing to my very core because I know it’s true. The fire inside me rages out of control, but I cling to my sanity because I must not, no, can not, transform into a dragon now.
I’m still grasping one of the life-sized statues for support. I focus on one of the statues behind the creature, until my eyes water from the tunnel vision. My breath accelerates as I attempt to move the stone sculpture an inch to the left, willing it, begging it with my mind. I just about topple over from the effort. I gasp and clench my teeth together.
“I know why you left your lovely mountain home,” I hear it say, “I know you didn’t fit in there. My question to you: what gives you the slightest idea you will ever belong here?”
The statue becomes as light as a feather pillow. I guide it into the air and with all my might send it crashing towards that beast. I hear a scream of rage and allow a grin to slide onto my face before passing out.
Life is not about how you sing in the sun, it is about how you dance in the rain.

6 Reviews

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:28 am
Ahnleh says...

Danie

I gasped. The girl who had been leaning against the wall had passed out, and so many other people were getting hurt trying to defeat the...whatever it was the woman (Jane, I think?) had turned into. One of the girls threw- actually threw- a huge statue through the air at her, seemingly with ease. Jane let out a howl of rage as the girl slipped unconscious to the ground, a small, victorious smirk still on her face.

What-? I thought as I finally saw the thing that used to at least resemble normal, now horribly morphed into some kind of sick humanoid, with yellow claws and needle sharp teeth where nails and a smile would usually be. I felt a chill run along my spine, and I clenched my teeth to keep from letting the shiver overcome me. That...thing was still after the girl; it was trying to get to her, and we- or, rather, they, I guess- were in its way. I couldn't let it get to her. I didn't even know who she was or why the thing wanted her, but nothing that possessed thing wanted could possibly be good. I crouched low, trying to stay unseen by the creature as I dared a step around the corner. The thing's back was to me, so I took a deep breath and ran along the ground to the girl.

As I reached her, I looped her arm around my shoulders and tried to half-carry her out of harm's way. She was light, but it was slow going as I tried to keep her upright while trying to walk to the dorms. She was burning up, and I laid her in the shade of the doorway as I stopped. I risked a glance behind me and froze. The monster had at some point turned to us, and seemed to be staring into my soul.

"You don't actually hope to help her do you?" she asked as she blocked and resisted her attackers. "You weren't able to help them." She looked over my shoulder, then turned back to the others. I swallowed nervously and looked slowly over to where she had. I gasped and felt tears roll over onto my cheeks.

"Momma?" I asked uncertainly, wanting to believe what I saw. "Alise? But, you're-" Momma didn't move, and looked at me with blank eyes. "But, I saw! I saw Daddy's face that morning, when he told us! He wouldn't lie about something like that!" I shifted my gaze to Alisonne, who was looking at me with a mixture of longing and something else. "I woke up to a empty body in my sister's bed," I whispered. "I didn't just dream that, no matter how much I wish I had! I didn't dream my agony; I didn't dream Daddy's!"

"You wanted us dead," Alise said, never moving from Momma's side. "So we died." She raised her finger to point at me. "Because of you."

I stared at her, my chest feeling empty and hollow. "NO! I loved you, Alise! I still love you both! I would never ask for you to be dead! But...you are." I grabed a rock and hurled it at the image, gasping as it burst apart and faded away. I almost burst into tears, but instead bit my lip and focused my attention elsewhere.

"You monster," I whispered to the creature. Turning to it, I raised my voice. "Why?!" In response, it just laughed and lunged for the girl in front of me. My eyes widened and I moved to try and protect her, squeezing my eyes shut as it came closer. Right as I thought it would collide with us, I heared a light sizzle and a hiss from in front of me. Opening my eyes carefully, I saw a shimmering something inbetween me and the creature. The monster growled and tried lunging again, only to have the same result. The others had caught up to it and were trying to force it away and back into the courtyard.

I looked again at the glittering, transparent wall that had somehow appeared before me. What?

Liam

Dang, this thing is tough. We have got to be doing something to it though; it looks disgusting now. Delilah had passed out and the creature was slowly trying to make its way toward her, while trying to take all of us out on the way. For a moment, it's attention was taken by something near the dorm building, and I rushed forward again to try catching it off guard. Once again, it flicked me away like I was a tiny insignificant little pest, which I guess I was. I felt a trail of blood beginning to make its slow way down the side of my face. Cursing, I stared daggers at the form, which was now turned away from the fight, facing the dorm, and Delilah.

Before I could do anything, it had rushed at Delilah and the girl from before- Danica? "No!" I heard Aden yell as it closed in on them. We all ran for the creature, stopped now right in front of them. What's it doing? I thought to myself. Why had it stopped? It pushed forward again, but then was forced away. Finally at its side, we tried to get it away from the priestess. A shimmering caught my eye and I looked to see Danica sitting on the ground in front of the priestess, staring frightened at a glittering wall in front of her.

What-? I started to think, then heard as the creature growled again. Eh, I'll worry about it later.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be some kind of liberty."
~Jorge Luis Borges

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:25 am
Betheny says...

Isabelle

Damn it, damn it, damn it! I growled. When she thrown me she'd broken my left thigh bone, although I'd probably done more damage to the wall than it had to me. Still we pushed on. When I rejoned the fight, everyone was dangerously close to the dorms but what confused me was that they were all just stood there... Watching. I moved closer, seeing a nymph crouhing over Delilah. Jane had stopped in her tracks too.
"What the hell?" I muttered, hobbling closer to Aden I whispered into his ear: "You owe me one hell of an explanation!"
"Lets see if we survive this first," He said back, and together the Knights, Nakia girls and myself rushed Jane again, in an atempt to move her away from the dorms.

The fight itself was a beautiful display of power and a dangerous dance of death. Every now and then I'd get flashes of my past, every time I shook away the memories. Now was not the time to remember. But they kept hitting me, forcing me to remember. One moment I was participating in a glorious battle the next I was stood confronting my parents shortly after me change:
"We're disapointed in you Isabelle," My mother said, I'd forgotten how much I'd grown to hate her before the change. Maybe that was why I'd acceted it.
"How could you have betrayed us like this?" My father, ever the dramatic man. If only they could see me now... I stayed silent, just as I had done then.
"Answer us Isabelle!" She hissed, when I was younger I used to hiss back. That usually earned a slap or two. In our household the roles seemed to be reversed: Father was the depressed, sobbing, 'to upset and disapointed for words' person while Mother had always been the strong one, the disciplinarian as it were. When they moved to restrain me, to curse me for all time I fought. I hadn't originally, but something in me had always wanted to.

"You will not curse me again!" I found my self screaming. I was back on the battlefield. I recieved a concerned glance from Rocco, but I shrugged it off and joined back in.
"The world existed to be read. And I read it." - L.S Schwartz, Ruined by Reading

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:50 pm
FadingBrighter says...

Delilah
"Jane?"Delilah said in surprise.
Then she was sitting up, coughing and gasping for air. A young girl, about her age, loked down at her in shock, then smiled.
"I'm glad your alright." She said. Delilah blinked, looking up at the pretty girl with long brown hair and golden eyes. A pair of dark ears swiveled back and forth anxiously on her head.
"Wha, what happened?" Delilah asked. The girl shrugged, still smiling.
"Truthfully, I have no idea." The girl replied. Delilah turned her gaze away, looking out at the battle scene before her. Then she pushed away, stumbeling to her feet, and began to make her way to the center of the fight.
"Wait!" the girl cried after her, but Delilah didnt even so much as blink. She recognized some of the people around her. the boy who'd she'd met this morning. One of the girls who had followed her down to the kitchens. Aden. They were all broken and bleeding, and yet they still pushed forward. And at the center, stood a monster. it had yellowed skin, pulled to tight over it's bones, it's limbs twisted unnaturally. It's nails were long and black, it's eyes flashing gold. Grotesquely deformed beyound recognition. But Delilah knew who it was. Who she was.
Jane...
"What do you think your doing! You could get hurt!" A girl cried, stepping infront of Delilah. She was short, with long dark hair and dark eyes.
She's my friend. I have to do this for her.
'Your not powerful enough to stop her, even if she was your friend." A boy stepped forward, grabbing the girls hand and pulling her pout of the way. She turned,groweling, but the boy didn't so much as budge. Instead, he gazed at her kindly with dark brown eyes.
"Let her handle this." The girl tugged her hand away, turning and running at jane again. She through a ball of fire, which merely disapperated before it hit her target. But Jane was wavering. The constant attackes were taking a toll on her. Dlilah had to work bquickly. She wasn't sure what she had in mind, but she knew that she had to get to her friend.
Delilah ran forward, slamming into a wall and allowing the world to slow down. It felt like she was trying to run through jelly, but she continued to push and push.The pthers attacked with her, hitting the wall with everything they had.
Jane. I won't let you disappear. Delilah thoght. The figure within the wall turned, staring at her with eyes that burned with sadness, with hatred.
I wont let you succumb to this.Suddenly, the wall around her collapsed, shattering like glass. Delilah sprinte forward as the world began to speed up again. She ran to Jane, wrapping her arms around her friend. There was a pause, as if the entire world was holding it's breath, and then everything turned violet.
After all, what are best fiends for?
“Omnia mutantur, nihil interit (everything changes, nothing perishes).”
― Ovid, Metamorphoses

This report, by its very length, defends itself against the risk of being read.
— Winston Churchill