Young Writers Society

Apprentice Games (Open, Starting)

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:48 am
Iggy says...

Mason Hastings - Fire

Entering the maze, I quickly threw balls of fire around, and laughed as two people burned to ashes. After all, they shouldn't let in weaklings who couldn't set up a defense position. Chuckling evilly, she sprinted arond, turning this way and that. After a few twists and turns, she came across a group if people with their feet on fire. Slightly envious that she didn't think of it, Mason looked for the master of the spell. She spotted a man running away from tje scene fast, tauntin the victims. Chaing after him, she created a wall or fire to block his path, causing him to halt.

"Hello there! Would you like to team up?" She called cheerfully, keeping her guard on lest he attack.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:58 pm
Shadowlight says...

Bute Pendragon-Earth

I yelped as my boots were engulfed in flames, it looks like that rouge had fired everyone in the packs boots. I stomped about putting the flames out, which was only a moments work, but a moments was all the flames needed. My leather boots were pocked, blistered and smelled like burning flesh.

I looked up to that rouge now ahead of me and cursed. I needed to get ahead, and of all the elements would let get ahead of me fire certainly wasn't one of them! I took off again as fast as I could just as a young girl ran by me, her hair flying behind her. She waved her arm and a wall of flames sprang up in front of the first fire user.

"Wanna be partners?" she said grinning warily at him as he turned to face her surprise written on his face. Now it was my turn to play a hand.

I skidded to a stop and placed both my hands on the ground. At once a large trunk of a tree burst out of the ground. Growing faster than it would have in one hundred years, it spread upwards, over the wall of fire and bent back down so its crown touched the roadway beyond. I was up and running on it even before it was done growing, the flames of the wall licked the tree and there was a strong smell of burning, but redwoods take a while to burn, so I knew I would at least get across without a hitch.

While the tree was growing I had another trick up my sleeve as well. Wild rose vines sprang up among those still on the other side of the flames, entwining around their legs, and bodies, trapping them in their thorny embrace- for the moment anyway. I grinned and waved at the two closest competitors.

"Sorry about that!" then took off down the road as fast as I could, I wanted to get a good distance ahead of them, before they got out of my plants. I knew the thorns wouldn't hold them forever.-I hadn't even caused them to wrapped tightly, but I didn't want to kill them, I only wanted time.

(Hope I explained this right.)
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:16 pm
LostMagi42 says...

Rallegor
Mood: Happy
Side of heart active: Light

I walked into the arena, and spotted a girl who had just incinerated someone because they were shooting Icicles at them, and had killed her companion. I walked over to the corpse, pulled out the Icicle, and healed his wound. I then had air rush into his lungs and revive him. I helped the boy up and asked the two of them "how about a team?"
"Fourty-two"
- Deep Thought

"There is no spoon"
-Strange Child

"C IS FOR COOKIE! THATS GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!"
- Cookie Monster, may he Rest In Peace

"Bow ties are cool"
- The Doctor

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:09 pm
Rydia says...

Mathias Redwyn

The tattoo was of no concern to me and I instructed the artist to print it across my fore-arm in bold lettering. It was a long number and meaningless, not one I cared to remember but I wanted to show the other contestants that I wasn't afraid or ashamed. I had elected to take part in the games and so I would.

Task number one sounded easy enough. One thousand keys for one thousand survivors, but it got off to a fiery start. Someone thought it a fun trick to set people's shoes on fire and unfortunately I happened to be caught in his reach. I looked down at my black leather boots in annoyance and stamped my feet to put out the flames on the bottoms, then used Earth for the rest. I was slowed but the only harm was to my boots. I looked up, a scowl clear on my face and glared at the fire that was spreading quickly side to side. Easily avoided. I simply cloaked myself in a column of air and walked through, but then I ran into another obstacle.

This time there were plants in my way and their thorns scratched lightly against my flesh. I scowled and blasted them away with a strong eruption of air, before following after the man with the dark pony-tail. I travelled quicker now, spurring myself on with gusts of wind so that I was half running and half flying. The man who'd waved to me seemed surprised as I drew up alongside him, but I wasn't looking for confrontation. Only for keys. So I was soon moving on again, darting back and forth with my eyes on the ground.

Moving quickly was making it harder to search though, the ground rushing by before my eyes could even register it, and I thought of a better use for my speed. I hurried on to the exit, without a key, but ready to steal one from some likely looking victim. Let them do the searching, it made no difference, I would have one in the end. And so I stood at the exit, sword in hand and ready to dance with death.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:32 pm
KindredSpiritBee says...

Darian------- Lilly and i had been searching for a while, Managing to avoid confrontation but it really wasnt getting us anywhere. There were still bodies on the ground from more vicious people, and people were banding together. Lilly had been sobbing into my shoulder for half of our search because she watched an ice user kill someone. There wasnt anything we could do to help, but the real risk we were taking was finally hitting me. We could be killed and no one would care. I saw a key in a tree and set lilly down to get it. I had to get her out alive, and the only way out was up.
Llamas do not have six packs

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:38 pm
Redfang18 says...

Artemis Darkrai
Spoiler! :
*Somebody better catch up with this little devil, 'cause he's on a roll!*

On I ran, setting more shoes on fire in my wake. I was having too much fun. With a wicked grin on my face, I carelessly tossed a potion over my shoulder and started digging in the ground. If I was right, the key was purposely buried. I dug like a mole until I found what I was after. I stashed it in my pocket and made a ring of fire around groups to hinder them from reaching my goal.

Spoiler! :
*Unless someone's got any bright ideas of slowing him down, this guy's gonna keep going on with the mischief.*
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

34 Reviews

Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:46 pm
LostMagi42 says...

Rallegor
Mood: Annoyed
Side of heart active: Dark

Slightly annoyed by the lack of response, I started looking for a key. The person I spoke to must have been in shock. I decided, with all of the dead bodies, that there was a much easier method to finding these keys. I raised every single corpse on the field into a zombie and ordered all of them to find me a key. I then made a throne out of some stray shadows and took a seat, waiting for one of my minions to find me a key. In the meantime, I had some fun with this one guy that was lighting shoes on fire. I had managed to stay out of the radius of his spell, but he rather bugged me. There was a dead weed that I found. That was all that I needed. I enlarged It and turned it into a giant undead plant golem and set it on the guy.

(OOC: Have fun RedFang!)
"Fourty-two"
- Deep Thought

"There is no spoon"
-Strange Child

"Bow ties are cool"
- The Doctor

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:01 pm
icebender28 says...

So I was planning on John dying, but since you brought him back I'll make a profile for him, if that's okay! :)

Name: John Residling

Type of Wielder (Mage, Sorcerer/ess or Enchanter/ess): Mage

Powers: He can turn people into animals(like toads and pigs) but only temporily, so he doesn't do it often.

Strengths: There's that^ and he is very good with animals, calming them down and such. He can also brew any potion but he focuses on potions that put people to sleep and heal them. He's very good with throwing knives and the mase.

Weaknesses: he is kind of slow, and too trusting. But once you get him going in a fight, he's very good. he tends to annoy people with his good humor and openess.

Appearance: brown hair, green eyes, goofy smile almost always. Fairly tall and kind of thin, but still strong.

Personality: He is very goofy. he will try and make friend with people at any chance, and wouldn't even think of betraying his friends. He doesn't get hurt easily, emotionally anyways. Physically he gets hurt all the time. Basically, he's the type of guy people want to be around, unless you're in a life or death game. Then he gets annoying.

Other: He grew up on a farm. his parents told him to join the games because they thought that he didn't deserve a farm life. He didn't want to go but went anyways. He's had a pretty boring life.
Life is to be lived, not survived.

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:08 pm
VuzzyCat says...

Nella

I block an icicle about to hit Langden in the back and we both duck out of the way. Langden grabs my hand and runs me over to behind a few trees. We run for a few minutes before Langden slows down, taking a deep breath.

"We have to find the keys," Langden says.

"Well thank you Captain Obvious," I sarcastically.

"You're welcome, Sargent Sarcasm," Langden retorts. I chuckle and we continue to look. I look over to my side and see a lone tree, slightly standing out.

"Langden," I call. I run over to the tree and see a small hole in it. I smile and reach in. My fingers touch three pieces of metal. I pull all three out to see three, shiny keys.

"Nice," Langden says as he takes one out of my hand. I put the third key back and keep my own.

"We're in!" I cheer.

(Tell me if anything's wrong!)
I'm the author of my own life. Unfortunately I'm writing in pen. Mistakes I make can not be erased, the only option is to turn the page and start a new chapter. <3

I'm single because God is busy writing the best love story.
<3 VuzzyCat

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:17 pm
Redfang18 says...

Artemis Darkrai

I looked around and saw what looked like a golem. The appearance said it all. I turned around and murmured, "Whoever thought a plant golem could slow me down just forgotten I'm a Fire mage." I set the golem on fire and resumed my running. I had my eyes on the prize and nothing else. If someone takes the prize from me, I won't hesitate to burn that person to ashes in less than a heartbeat.
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Shadowlight says...

Demhara Torre:

There were corpse everywhere. There was blood filled puddles, my shoes were soaked. I looked around at all the carnage trembling, thinking I was going to faint.

I am not a runner so soon I was so far behind I couldn't see anybody (alive that is) But I could hear them. Screams of terror and pain burned into my mind, I wished I could block out the noises but I couldn't. I thought the games were going to be one-on-one tournament style, before a stadium of people- not this kind of heartless blood bath!

I quickly decided the best way for me to make it out of this stage of the games, was to stay out of the other competitors way. I took any turns in the maze that led me away from the noises around me, and soon was alone with the silence, and eerie silence that unnerved me.

After about an hour of wandering I saw something in the shadows to one side, a scarecrow suck on a thorny pole. Swinging form its sleeve was a key! I skipped over and pulled it out.

This was a stroke of luck I hadn't even counted on! I didn't have to kill anyone to get it and no one was close to me to see I had one. Now the trick was to get to the finish line without attracting the attention of the more aggressive contestants. I slipped the key down into my under dress bodice- a good hiding spot.

As I took my hand back out I felt something wet, I looked at my fingers and they had a smear of blood on them. Blood? I didn't have any cuts or scrapes, I looked again at the scarecrow, horror creeping up my spine.

It wasn't a scarecrow-Oh merciful heaven! It was a person, spitted upon thorny vines. I backed away feeling lightheaded. I needed to get away from here! I took three steps tripped and fell, then knew no more.

(Yes Demhara fainted! she might do that a lot, we'll see :D if someone want's to find her I'm fine with that but please, her key is hidden so don't somehow know she has it or take it from her. thanks! :D
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

34 Reviews

Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:32 am
LostMagi42 says...

Rallegor
Mood:Highly irritated
Side of heart active: Dark.

I felt the loss of the golem when the magical channel broke. That did it. I telepathically felt my way around the field until I found a dead body. Luckily, there were many to pick from. I took all of them and merged them together, molding their bodies into one massive form. I had made my Carrige of flesh. A group of my minions returned with a key, which I concealed in darkness and hid it on my person. I morphed the zombies into giant panthers. I ran my carrige over to myself and attached the panthers to the carrige with ropes of flame. I then set out for the fire wielder who was evading my attacks.

(I am hoping for a confrontation RedFang!)
"Fourty-two"
- Deep Thought

"There is no spoon"
-Strange Child

"Bow ties are cool"
- The Doctor

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:55 am
icebender28 says...

Zera:

Some man revived John and asked to be a team. I couldn't answer for a moment, and was about to when he ran off around a corner. I stared at John lyinth on the ground unconcious. I couldn't just leave him there. I was picking him up when a carriage of...something I'd rather not say rode past me. I shuddered and got a better grip of John and began walking down the small pathway. I reached a fork in the road and went the opposite way of the man who had healed John.
I walked for quite a while until I saw something slightly odd in a hedge. It was a hole, cleverly concealed so that it looked not there unless you were at the perfect angle. I set down John and reached inside, pulling out a green envelope. i smiled and opened it, dropping out...a key.
But I needed two.
I shook it harder and another one fell out. I smiled bigger and dropped them in John's shoe. he wasn't the one that was walking after all. I picked him back up and continued on my way.
After turning down several wrong turns I came to a conclusion.
"Alright, that's it." I kicked up my foot, a fire ball appeared in mid air. I kicked it, sending it flying towards the nearest wall. it went straight through. And the next one. it actually continued on it's way until extinguishing fourteen isles over.
I heard a creaking noise. The first wall fell down. It knocked down the next one, starting a domino effect. I ran up onto the tilted wall and ran across each one. Finally the falling walls had reached one that didn't fall down I climbed on top of it and looked around.
I was in the middle of the maze. i saw the way I had entered.
"So the way out must be..." I looked the opposite way. "That way."
I began walking ontop of the wall that way. I came to a gap and jumped, not breaking pace. I hardly made it, almost falling backwards.
And then I did.
Because John freaked.
We fell, and I landed on top of him. "What are you doing?" he shouted, kicking me off of him.
"Taking you to the end." I said simply.
"Really?" He stared at me for a moment then shook his head. "No, I mean jumping like that!"
"Well i would have made it if it weren't for you!" I shout back too him.
"Speaking of which, what happened?"
I stared back at his clueless face for a minute. "You died. Some man brought you back, but you were unconciuos, so I had to carry you."
"i died?"
i nodded.
"Sweet! What a story to tell people!" He jumped up happily and began walking, and winced. he reached down to his shoe, pulling out the keys. "Hey, look what i found. Some keys!"
I nodded again. i had made a team with a weirdo.
Life is to be lived, not survived.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:16 am
Iggy says...

Mason Hastings - Fire

After creating a ball of fire around her, Mason charged into people, burning somd. She delighted in their screams of pain. She turned and ran clean through a hedge. A clinking noise made her halt and turn around. Something glittered from the ground. Mason darted out of thd ball of fire, snatched the key, and darted back into the ball, running in the direction she hoped was te finish.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:51 am
Rydia says...

Mathias Redwyn

It felt like I'd waited a long time before someone at last approached the exit. Yes! Finally, I'd been thinking of going back out into the field and searching for a key myself. What had taken this guy so long? Surely it couldn't be that hard to find a key. Well, nevermind, here was my gateway to victory and I had to not feel guilty about it. Besides, there were still hundreds of keys out there. If the youth didn't put up too much of a fight, he could go and find another and still make it through. Except... no. It was a bad idea to leave an enemy at one's back.

"Who are you?" the youth demanded. He was probably no more than twenty. Maybe less even. But not too much less. It was too early for killing children.

"I am here to challenge you for your key." I was aware that I could have tricked him, claimed to be the gate-keeper or something along the lines. But it was too early for dishonesty as well.

"And why would I fight you? I already have my key, what's there to gain from accepting your challenge?"

"It isn't a question of accepting. I will attack either way. Your options are to defend yourself or run."
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

something I have been thinking about ever since I saw the Super Mario Bros movie is how once I took a "what Nintendo character are you" quiz and I got Waluigi.
— Elinor