Young Writers Society

A Matter Of Pixels

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:54 pm
View Likes
Skorpionne says...

Only Programs

Yes, at first the things within the pixelated screen of your coveted laptop were "just programs." At first, they had no minds or thoughts of their own. At first, they did as they were told.

Then, humanity began to progress faster and faster and faster, until they could journey into the caverns of Cyberspace itself. A new generation, setting the target for technology.

Entire Cities!

They were shocked by what they found. every program ever created, every virus ever let loose, they had banded together, and entire cities were found. Shops, houses, skyscrapers. All based on pictures the humans had posted online.

Diversity

In a world where your only name is your username, and technology has a life of it's own, how will you survive?

Program Types:
Spoiler! :
Regular Programs ~ Anything from an Email to a website, these come in all shapes and sizes, depending on how they chose to form themselves. It's really up to you how you interpret this, there is no right or wrong.
Virals ~ These are the destructive ones, the equivalent of criminals. They'll do whatever they can to cause conflict, unrest, or even ultimate destruction. Ranging in power from 1-10. One being weak virals, probably only some pickpocketing or hacking. 10 being the type that will completely eradicate all your data, the murderers.
Users ~ The name given to the human pioneers venturing into Cyberspace. These go by usernames only, and most probably feel threatened by the idea of the Cybrspace cities.

Regular Program Profile:
Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Program Type:[/b]
[b]Appearance[/b] (Written mandatory, at least 100 words. Picture optional.
[b]Personality[/b] (At least 100 words. If you want to add subcategories, such as Strengths, Flaws, Likes and Dilikes, then it's your choice.)
[b]Any other info?:[/b]

Viral Profile:
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Strength:[/b] (1-10)
[b]Appearance:[/b] (Written mandatory, at least 100 words. Picture optional).
[b]Personality:[/b] (At least 100 words. If you want to add subcategories, such as Strengths, Flaws, Likes and Dilikes, then it's your choice.)

User Profile:
[b]Username:[/b] (I know this is usernames, but try and keep it sensible. For example, nothing inappropriate, and nothing that will hurt our eyes, LiKe ThIs OR THIS or this: iugf8s4b3jwduebqu2be)
[b]Age:[/b] (15-35)
[b]Appearance:[/b](Written mandatory, at least 100 words. Picture optional).
[b]Personality:[/b] (At least 100 words. If you want to add subcategories, such as Strengths, Flaws, Likes and Dilikes, then it's your choice.)
[b]History:[/b] (At least 100 words, and none of this Can't Remeber jazz, we want details!)

Character Slots:

Regular Programs:
M-
F- Alz - Linguist
M-

Virals:
F- Skorpionne - Masquerade
M-
F-

Users:
M-
F- dragongirl11 - Nyokaya
M-
F-

Rules:
1) Regular YWS rules apply.
2) Swearing is allowed, but don't make it every second word.
3) Romance is allowed, but no sex.
4) Proper grammar at all times, please. Chatspeak is just annoying.
5) All out of character comments must be in brackets, and kept to a minimum.
Last edited by Skorpionne on Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:57 pm
DragonGirl11 says...

I have absolutely no idea why nobody has joined this. Too imaginative for their little brains? I call the female user!! Just wondering how far-fetched the characters should be, seeing how they're entering the internet. Like this?
Spoiler! :
Exhibit A:
Nyokaya.PNG
Nyokaya.PNG (162.58 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Or more normal, like this:
Spoiler! :
Exhibit B:
StormChaser.png
StormChaser.png (153.32 KiB) Viewed 111 times
I gave them light blades because, hey, it's the future, right?

Anyway, I hope this works out sooner or later! Let me know which one to use and I'll do up a profile.
~*~

"You could look at the raindrops on your window, or you could look through the window and see the rainbow."
~K.C. Oxford

<YWS>

47 Reviews

Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:19 pm
Skorpionne says...

If it's taken this long to get one person, it could be a long time until it's full, just to let you know.

On the picture issue, I'd go with the first one if I were you. Thanks for joining!

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:11 pm
Alz says...

I would love to join! This sounds like it could be really interesting. I'll take the female program spot... I'm working on the profile right now and will post it as soon as it is finished!
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon. - Robert Cormier

Check out my blog at http://missalliesadventures.blogspot.com

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:43 pm
DragonGirl11 says...

Username: Nyokaya
Appearance: Nyokaya has pink skin and long elfish ears. Her purple hair falls just below her shoulders. Her eyes are a light cerulean blue, like the ring of sky right around the sun. She usually wears a dragon necklace and gold dagger earrings. Her clothing style is a cross between sporty and gangsta. Her right arm, from just below her elbow to about two inches above her wrist, is a machine covered in blinking lights and circuitry, and it contains gadgets like her cell phone, MP3 player, and computer.
Spoiler! :
Nyokaya.PNG
Nyokaya.PNG (162.58 KiB) Viewed 77 times
Why would she have a computer in her arm, you ask? I'll explain that in her history. It's down there, look.
Personality: Nyokaya is a serious girl, with no real ties to anybody. Yet. (Just leaving that open ;) ) She can have major attitude if you strike her wrong. She can be brutally honest, and sometimes rude.
  • Likes: She loves technology and computers, and is into combat sports such as fencing and karate. She also has a mild interest in other sports.
  • Dislikes: Nyokaya hates school and people telling her what to do. She doesn't much care for structure either.
  • Strengths: She works well under pressure, and doesn't tolerate anybody's crap.
  • Weaknesses: Nyokaya can be a bit awkward, and hasn't really had much practice being caring.
History: Nyokaya has been in foster care from the time she was six, when she was taken away from an abusive father. Her mother died when she was tiny. Many of the foster families were nice, but others weren't so much. Whether it was because of her fighting nature, a problem with somebody else in the family, or because she just couldn't get along with them, she was bounced around several times. As a result, she never knew who she could trust, and "love" isn't in her vocabulary.
The last family she was taken away from, she was locked in a shed for stealing food. A foster brother was playing with matches and set fire to the shed. Luckily, she escaped, but most of her lower right arm had to be reconstructed. The doctors replaced her burnt muscle with a machine (the computer arm I mentioned up there.)
The family she was put with after that was nice enough, but Nyokaya was sure she could take care of herself, so when she heard people could actually go into the internet, she ran off to Cyberspace.
Other info: She uses a blue Light Blade as a weapon.
Last edited by DragonGirl11 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~*~

"You could look at the raindrops on your window, or you could look through the window and see the rainbow."
~K.C. Oxford

<YWS>

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:25 pm
View Likes
Alz says...

Here is the profile for the female program!

Name: Linguist
Program Type: Translator
Appearance: Linguist is quite tall (5’ 9”) and skinny. She has steely blue hair and pale skin. Linguist hardly ever smiles. She has round grey eyes and wears a pair of oval glasses that have a tendency to slide down her nose. She usually wears a green track suit, but on rare occasions, she will wear more feminine clothing. The only jewellery she wears is a pair of small silver hoop earrings, and she always keeps her hair pulled back from her face. Linguist carries a notebook in her pocket, and she makes notes as she observes the people around her.
Spoiler! :
Personality: Linguist is extremely shy and avoids large groups of people. When she is around people, she does her best to be friendly, but is easily overwhelmed. She spends much of her time indoors, poring over books. When she feels strong emotions, Linguist starts speaking in other languages, often without realizing. If she is reminded to speak in English, she gets quite embarrassed and switches back. Linguist is an efficient translator, if very literal. When there is a task set before her, Linguist will not rest until it is finished. She is a perfectionist and will not accept any less that the best work.
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon. - Robert Cormier

Check out my blog at http://missalliesadventures.blogspot.com

47 Reviews

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:23 pm
Skorpionne says...

Name: Masquerade

Strength: 7

Appearance: Masquerade’s chestnut hair falls in waves to her shoulders, framing her sharp green eyes and pale skin. At a distance she can pass for a human, but if you look closely you can see that she has a computer-generated look about her. Her lips appear partially blue, and she always wears a red, gold and black mask. Her usual clothes are long, elegant dresses, with a knife slipped in her belt. Masquerade often smiles, but in a way that flaunts her self-assumed superiority. She walks with impeccable posture, and looks everybody in the eye. Her skin is clear and unmarked, except for a few freckles around her left ankle.

Spoiler! :

Personality: Masquerade is a Trojan Horse, a virus disguised as other software. She delights in fooling her victims, and takes an almost sadistic pleasure in erasing data. She’s also one of those people who will not change for anybody. Masquerade never dreams- she always has her mind firmly in the present.
Strengths: She’s an outstanding liar, and can move very quickly when she wants to. She also has a strong compassion when it comes to children.
Flaws: Masquerade doesn’t care about other people’s problems, and holds a slight Vendetta against the rest of the world. She doesn’t quite know why. She’s very violent and loves stealing as much as she loves to deceive.
Likes: Thunderstorms, lie-ins, classical music, horror films, elaborate jewellery, showing off.
Dislikes: Spiders, coffee, rock/rap music, people in general.

Any other info?: Nope.

Profiles both look good, and I've posted the hopeful starting date in the subject line of the thread. Perhaps we'll get some more people soon!

"I think; therefore, I am."
— René Descartes