z

Young Writers Society

The Novel

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:09 pm
Skorpionne says...

Something is happening. Innocent (Well, innocent-ish) writers are being sucked into a strange cross-over universe of every book ever written. Each writer brings characters and creatures from their novel with them. One day you could be in Harry Potter, the next you could be in the Odyssey. Sounds like a dream come true, right? Think again. There's a catch. The villains from your novel are after you, and they will stop at nothing to achieve what they want. All because you wrote them that way. Talk about irony.

Your job: Try and avoid your villains, figure out why you're there in the first place, track down and murder characters from books you hate (optional), have fun in your favourite books.

Authors CAN'T control their characters in any way shape or form except that they will act how they've been written.

Rules:
1) No god-modding. Just don't.
2) Swearing is allowed, but keep it mild and few.
3) Please, please, please have realistic characters. Really, writing horrible characters is fun!
4) No miraculous powers. These are ordinary people.
5) Yes to romance, no to sex.
6) Please...don't be too gruesome.
7) This is my first storybook, so if I do anything wrong, please let me know.

Profile:
Spoiler! :
Name:
Personality: (Strengths, flaws, likes, dsilikes...)
Appearance: (Written optional.)
History: (No can't remember, you're not in a novel yet.)
Brief Sypnosis of Novel:
Other: (Did I forget anything?)

Slots:
M-
M-
M-
M-
F-
F- sarebear -Christina Levine
F-
F-

More slots can be opened, but only for milkshakes/lots of persuasion.

Er...this is my first storybook. Did I do okay?
Last edited by Skorpionne on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

134 Reviews

Reviews: 134
Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:44 am
sarebear says...

Well, looks like we're both new because this is the first storybook I've ever posted in. Someone please tell me if I totally break the rules. So here goes:

I'm taking a female slot;

Name: Christina Levine
Personality:

Christina is an excellent writer who is especially into writing novels. She also enjoys music, especially singing, and has a very pretty voice. She is extremely intelligent and hardworking. Intellectual things come naturally to her. However, she is also almost painfully shy and when she gets nervous she stutters. These factors combined make her somewhat socially inept. Christina is very organized. She is one of those people who is always online, always responds to emails promptly. Although she is shy, she is inwardly slightly narcissistic although it does not show much. She is moody and although her moods don't affect other people they drastically affect her novels. She enjoys creating characters in worlds of fantasy where she can escape from her life.

Appearance: Dark hair, dark eyes. Long, thin, pale face. Not unattractive, not particularly pretty. A few scattered freckles. 5'7", thin, 120 lbs.

History:

Christina was born in Kent, England 1991 to Jacob Levine and Olivia Pauling. She had no siblings and her parents divorced when she was 9. She alternated living with her mother and father. She was diagnosed with depression and anorexia at age 12. As a child, Christina was described by adults who knew her as quiet and somewhat sickly. Outwardly, partly because of her shyness, she never showed much interest in activities or academics, however she made good grades in school. Always somewhat of a loner, Christina had a group of friends who shared similar interests but did not maintain much contact outside of school.

Christina started making up stories when she was in elementary school. During the period of her parent's divorce, she told herself stories that involved her happy family doing things together in perfect harmony. Her fifth grade teacher encouraged her to write her work down, and she began keeping a journal. All through middle school Christina wrote and sang. She was in her school choir. Her shyness prevented her from auditioning for solos, but she enjoyed singing with the other students.

When she was diagnosed with anorexia in seventh grade Christina's parents started to pay more attention to her. However, this wasn't exactly what they wanted. Her parents' attempts to force her to eat three meals a day had the opposite effect--she only ate when they forced her to. As a result, her health declined to the point where she caught the winter flu from a classmate and ended up hospitalized. When she recovered, it was decided that something needed to be done. Her parents sent her to live with her grandmother in Cambridge for the summer.

The period with her grandmother was the happiest in Christina's life. Her grandmother understood her without being told and never pushed her to talk when she didn't want to. She also encouraged Christina's story writing. For the next three years Christina spent every summer with her grandmother. At the age of 16 Christina's grandmother passed away. Christina was devastated but decided that this time, unlike when her parents divorced, she would get through it.

This was the beginning of Christina's novel writing career. For the next three years, she wrote every genre she could imagine, from historical fiction to romance to worlds of fantasy. Deciding not to go to college was easy to get by her parents who did not have the money in any case. Christina got a part time job, rented out a room of somebody else's house, and settled down to start her new life.

Brief Synopsis of Novel:

Christina's main character is loosely based on her grandmother, but she has taken her grandmother and built for her a world of fantasy. The novel is about three quarters of the way finished. In it, the main character, Susan, is a young warrior-princess in a world of dangerous obstacles and evil creatures intent on the slaying of a warrior-princess.

TBC
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll eat for a lifetime. Talk to a hungry man about fish, and you're a psychologist.

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:56 am
Daisuki says...

Yay! My first storybook too! Let's try this out:

Name: Blade
Personality: Blade has particularly bad social skills and usually prefers not to speak for fear of saying something stupid, however, he likes having someone close to him. To his eternal shame, he loves writing romances that usually take place in a fantasy setting.
Appearance: Shaggy black hair. Medium height. Dark eyes. Usually wears something along the lines of jeans and a sweatshirt.
History: Not much interesting. Blade has loved writing since he was little. Shoujo manga got him into the romance genre, and he's always really hard on himself about his writing.
Novel: A girl is found by dragons as a baby. The dragons raise her. A boy from a nearby village falls in love with the dragon-girl, but the village and his family does not approve.
Other: ???

Sorry this wasn't very detailed. I'm sure he'll develop as we go. Also, I'm sorry I didn't use very good grammar - I will during the storybook - I promise!

-Dai
Oh, I wish I was punk-rocker with flowers in my hair.

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:22 pm
BelarusBirdy says...

Name: Bellicosa
Personality: (Strengths, flaws, likes, dsilikes...)
Appearance: (Written optional.)
History: Fails at almost every school subject, absolutely NOT athletic. Excels at writing and singing. (Sovvy this lacks detail, I plan to make it a SURPRISE!!)
Brief Synopsis of Novel: Shadows are real. They're alive. They're finally free to act as humans do. They were trapped for as far as human memory can stretch, and they're free.
And they're angry.
Other: Likes sleeping or no sleep, depends on the day. She's weird.
Up for romance? YES!!!!

OOC: I started a storybook, "Runaway Elements." On Thursday the 23, if tgirly hasn't posted a profile, I'm opening a girl spot. If you might want it, look at it.
OOC means "out of context"
that being said, this is my third storybook. I'm in two others right now, including mine. Joined this site a few weeks ago.
Good Luck!
A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes. I screamed aloud as it tore through them and now it's left me blind.
Florence and the Machine, Cosmic Love

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:53 am
gleek456 says...

Hi! Can you save a female slot for me? The profile will be set up tomorrow, thanks!
YOU'VE GOT THAT ONE THING

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:41 am
Skorpionne says...

I think this got abandoned, but I'll get back to you if it shows any signs of reviving itself.
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
— Sigmund Freud